Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Media: Examples of Good AND Bad Journalism  (Read 274001 times)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Media: Examples of Good AND Bad Journalism
« Reply #1100 on: January 11, 2020, 10:02:33 PM »
Bauder at AP suggests that Trump backed down on Iran because of Carlson's influence:

"Carlson has advocated restraint in dealing with Iran"

"He [Trump] told confidants in recent days that Carlson’s strong advocacy not to escalate the situation in Iran played a role in his decision-making"

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/did-tucker-carlson-help-calm-trump-on-iran/

We are screwed indeed when a Fox news host is our restraint on war.

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1101 on: January 12, 2020, 09:51:21 AM »
Bauder at AP suggests that Trump backed down on Iran because of Carlson's influence:

"Carlson has advocated restraint in dealing with Iran"

"He [Trump] told confidants in recent days that Carlson’s strong advocacy not to escalate the situation in Iran played a role in his decision-making"

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/did-tucker-carlson-help-calm-trump-on-iran/

We are screwed indeed when a Fox news host is our restraint on war.

sidd

Or are we screwed because Trump is praising a very popular/influential TV channel's commentator for steering him away from the path of violence?
Are we to accept that Trump has now been "cured"?
Will other talking heads vie for Trumpian praise?
Terry

johnm33

« Reply #1102 on: January 12, 2020, 10:30:39 AM »
Here Gordon Duff [VT] suggests the accuracy of Irans weapons gave Trump pause, https://journal-neo.org/2020/01/11/new-facts-change-everything-the-sickening-truth-about-why-iran-schooled-america/
"Similarly, when missiles plowed into the “consular” facilities, really weapons warehouses, at Erbil International Airport, in the Kurdish region of Northern Iraq, the US denied any hits claiming to have shot down two of three missiles and the other a “wide miss.”

Then, as is so often the case, American military personnel billeted in the apartment buildings just south of the facility uploaded their video to YouTube.

Three missiles, thee direct hits, dramatic explosions, which the Americans seemed to enjoy immensely"

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #1103 on: January 12, 2020, 01:43:33 PM »
And it was all going so well...

“This is why I visited China and signed an important agreement with them to undertake the construction instead. Upon my return, Trump called me to ask me to reject this agreement. When I refused, he threatened to unleash huge demonstrations against me that would end my premiership.

Huge demonstrations against me duly materialized and Trump called again to threaten that if I did not comply with his demands, then he would have Marine snipers on tall buildings target protesters and security personnel alike in order to pressure me.

I refused again and handed in my resignation. To this day the Americans insist on us rescinding our deal with the Chinese.

Really interesting article.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #1104 on: January 13, 2020, 12:14:41 PM »
Thanks a lot Sidd, again, for that bright interview with the old Master. (He's being old all through my life :o)
This should be a must (to read) for those so proud of human intelligence.
We flow with the majority. But unless you make the hard work of trying to think of humans as if they were insects, or aliens, all that cultural baggage we drag uphill through our lives distort reality while inflating our ego.
OT: it was proved that our brain works without most of those prejudices inherent to our culture when you read and reason in a language that's not your mother's. ??? ;)
I've chosen to live like the auto excluded character in Huxley's novel, and when looking at society I can only see a big bunch of crazy armed monkeys and a much bigger flock of domesticated monkeys. But all of them very proud of their own self (and intelligence).

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: January 13, 2020, 10:39:24 PM »
And it was all going so well...

“This is why I visited China and signed an important agreement with them to undertake the construction instead. Upon my return, Trump called me to ask me to reject this agreement. When I refused, he threatened to unleash huge demonstrations against me that would end my premiership.

Huge demonstrations against me duly materialized and Trump called again to threaten that if I did not comply with his demands, then he would have Marine snipers on tall buildings target protesters and security personnel alike in order to pressure me.

I refused again and handed in my resignation. To this day the Americans insist on us rescinding our deal with the Chinese.

Really interesting article.
Is this the article you're quoting? - Interesting comments and links in any case.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sino/comments/em8223/iraqs_prime_minister_spoke_angrily_about_how_the/

The snipers firing on both sides is certainly reminiscent of the coup in Ukraine.
Terry

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: January 14, 2020, 03:06:51 PM »
It is a quote from johnm33s link above.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #1107 on: January 16, 2020, 12:13:00 AM »
Caitlin Johnstone on the way last night's Democratic primary debate was 'moderated':

#CNNIsTrash Trends As Pushback Grows Against Oligarchic Election Meddling

The hashtag #CNNIsTrash is the number one trend on Twitter as of this writing due to the network’s appalling treatment of Bernie Sanders in last night’s Democratic presidential debate in Iowa.

The joint smear job against Sanders had many arms, including wildly biased questions like Wolf Blitzer deliberately associating Bernie with “Iran’s Ayatollah Khamenei” by pointing out that they both want US troops out of the Middle East and demanding to know how he was going to avoid “bankrupting the country” with a healthcare plan used in nations all over the world.

But by far the most glaringly egregious assault on the Vermont Senator’s image was when CNN moderator Abby Phillip took a completely evidence-free sexism smear which defies all logic and presented it to the debate audience as an established and undeniable fact. You can watch the exchange here:

(...)

So angry Berners have been rightly decrying the despicable manipulations of CNN, which can only be a good thing. A massively influential news corporation owned by the largest telecommunications company on the planet should not be able to determine who voters select to the highest elected office in the most powerful country in the world.

This is oligarchic election interference, plain and simple. If the US government is going to call a few thousand dollars in Russian facebook memes election meddling, then the billions which get poured into the billionaire media tilting the scale to advantage the billionaire class is far worse by orders of magnitude.

Last May I wrote an article titled “The Worst 2020 Election Interference Will Be Perfectly Legal” saying that the most egregious forms of election meddling we’ll see in this presidential race will not be perpetrated by the Russians, nor by the DNC, nor by sleazy gerrymandering or voter ID requirements, nor by hard vote tally manipulation, but the everyday, in-your-face manipulations of corporate media outlets like CNN. Unsurprisingly, this is already proving undeniably true.

In fact the power of these vast news media corporations to manipulate the way the populace thinks and votes stretches far beyond the consequences of a mere presidential election. The ability to manufacture consent for the agendas of the plutocratic class which controls these corporations enables war, ecocide, militarism, soul-crushing oligarchic neoliberalism, increasingly Orwellian surveillance programs and an increasingly militarized police force to destroy lives and this very world without it ever occurring to a critical majority that it would be possible for us to use the power of our numbers to force real changes to our advantage.

It is good that people are loudly criticizing this dynamic. It’s important to keep drawing attention to the way we’re being manipulated out of having any control over not just what happens in our world, but over what we think about what happens in our world. Hopefully public trust in the mouthpieces of oligarchy can be weakened to such an extent that people stop buying into their deceptions.

It's really gross...
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: January 16, 2020, 08:29:29 AM »
Taibbi eviscerates CNN at rollingstone:

"as transparent a media “fuck you” as we’ve seen in a presidential debate."

"This time, the whole network tossed the mud. Over a 24-hour period before, during, and after the debate, CNN bid farewell to what remained of its reputation as a nonpolitical actor"

"The debate preview show hosted by Anderson Cooper and featuring the likes of McAuliffe, former Clinton comms person Jess McIntosh, and former senior adviser to Barack Obama David Axelrod, was full of hand-wringing about how the Democratic Party is moving too far to the left. "

"After the debate, Trump fans online were in full schadenfreude mode, crowing about how “the left” finally understood that CNN really is fake news."

"Episodes like this are why people hate the media."

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/january-democratic-debate-2020-cnn-bernie-sanders-elizabeth-warren-938365/

blumenkraft

« Reply #1109 on: January 20, 2020, 04:45:57 PM »
Sadly true!

Trump's election was personal: It's white America's vicious backlash to black success

Link >> https://www.salon.com/2020/01/20/trump-election-white-america-backlash-black-success/

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1110 on: January 20, 2020, 06:17:02 PM »
Sadly true!

Trump's election was personal: It's white America's vicious backlash to black success

Link >> https://www.salon.com/2020/01/20/trump-election-white-america-backlash-black-success/
blumenkraft, the election was so narrow that there are a plethora of "deciding issues". Clinton's email for example. Sexism. You know what my deciding issue was. Any one of a dozen would be enough to have swung the balance.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: January 23, 2020, 01:07:43 AM »
Media as tool of Empire: Mier at FAIR

"The Capital Group, for example, is the largest investor in both Netflix and Shell, a corporation that has made  billions of dollars through petroleum privatizations by right-wing governments in South America. "

"During Brazil’s 2018 election year, Netflix launched a dramatic series called The Mechanism, which portrayed a thinly disguised character based on former Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva—who in real life was leading all polls for a return to the presidency, with double the popularity of his nearest rival, the neofascist Jair Bolsonaro—as a criminal mastermind behind a multi-billion dollar corruption scheme."

"We are not told that Alonso is former Argentine director of Transparency International, the ostensibly “anti-corruption” NGO which is funded by the US and British governments, Exxon Mobil and Shell (Guardian, 5/22/08). We are not told that Alonso was the most vocal public critic of Kirchner’s nationalization of the petroleum industry, or that she directly benefited from the charges filed against Kirchner, assuming the position of Anti-Corruption Minister in the Mauricio Macri government. In the doc, she is just a concerned friend."

" The Spy is Antonio “Jaime” Stiuso, a 42-year veteran of Argentina’s State Intelligence Secretariat (SIDE) with close ties to the CIA and the Mossad. He was in the agency during the Argentine military junta’s Dirty War, when it participated in the notorious “disappearances”  of leftists, 30,000 of whom were machine-gunned down, or drugged and pushed out of airplanes into the South Atlantic. He was corrupt and dangerous but, like the FBI’s J. Edgar Hoover, apparently too powerful to fire, until Cristina Kirchner did it in December 2014, one month before his partner Alberto Nisman filed treason charges against her."

"The third main character, President Kirchner,  in office from 2007–15, is a center-left politician who rejected Washington consensus ... strengthening labor unions, initiating large minimum wage hikes and by renationalizing strategic companies that had been privatized during the disastrous IMF-imposed structural adjustment period of the 1990s ...  became extremely popular with the poor and working class."

" all we see of her in Nisman are short speech fragments and soundbites, peppered with unflattering photos and ominous background music."

"ironic to see in a six-part documentary that is entirely built upon two conspiracy theories which, as is shown in the series itself, do not have any material evidence to back them up."

"neocon Foundation for Defense of Democracies vice president Toby Dershowitz, who appears in the documentary, began associating Fernandez and Kirchner with Iranian terrorists as soon as they took office last month"

"beautifully filmed and entertaining, and director Justin Webster does a good job uncovering the relationship between the FBI, CIA and Argentinian intelligence services. But the bottom line is that he casts suspicion on Cristina Kirchner even though he knows that there is no proof against her."

https://fair.org/home/netflix-iran-and-the-documentary-as-geopolitical-weapon/

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: January 23, 2020, 09:10:14 AM »
Part two of Scheer interview of Chomsky at truthdig:

Scheer: is the lesser evil significantly lesser?

Chomsky: It is.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/noam-chomsky-makes-the-case-for-the-lesser-of-two-evils/

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: January 23, 2020, 05:00:19 PM »
^^
Thanks for the link sidd.

This marks the first time in a long time that I've disagreed with Chomsky on a major issue.
I don't find Trump quite as evil as N.C. does, and I find his "lesser evil" to be a far more dangerous choice than he.

Trump is a horrible President, but N.C. considers that another term will cause our extinction as a species. He bases this on AGW and the money Trump has handed out to the MIC. Both valid concerns, but not in my opinion necessarily terminal, or rather not terminal because of the differences in policy between another 4 years of Trump vs 4 years under a Biden Presidency.

The "lesser evil" candidate could be Biden, or one of the other Corporate Democrats. N.C. believes that this evil can be moderated by pressure from the electorate. I disagree. I don't believe that Corporate Democrats are susceptible to any influence except for the influence of their donors, or prospective donors. Would Biden veto MIC handouts, would he defuse the military tensions anywhere? Will Corp-Dems go after Big Oil, or do anything meaningful to meet the Paris Accord targets?

I find disagreeing with Chomsky daunting, & I'm hoping he expands on his reasoning.

Bernie, hopefully with Tulsi as a running mate, or a pox on both Parties.

“Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."- Frederick Douglass

From one of the comments at the linked article, but it expresses my thoughts when contemplating a President hand picked by Pelosi and the oligarchs who have hijacked the party I'd supported since LBJ's departure.
Terry

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1114 on: January 23, 2020, 08:07:28 PM »
Well, very few Corporate Democrats (or Republicans) are seeking donated money for the sake of money. None that I know of roll around in money like Richie Rich or Scrooge McDuck. Or even spend that money on mansions, yachts and strings of polo ponies.
The money is a means to an end, or rather a means to a means to an end. They spend the money getting votes, because the votes are their ticket to Power, which is what they are in the game for. If voters turned on them they would change their tune so fast it would make your head spin.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: January 24, 2020, 04:44:21 PM »
Tom
Money is fungible & liquid. It's a symbol, a metric with no intrinsic worth. Why are we discussing comic book depictions of wealth in a Journalism Thread?
Terry

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1116 on: January 24, 2020, 06:05:12 PM »
Because people here are discussing Evil Politicians and their seeking money from Evil Donors (and on other threads on the forum I could have commented on).

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: January 25, 2020, 12:16:12 AM »
Empire moves to muzzle media: First amendment does not apply to non US citizens

"Julian Assange has no First Amendment freedoms"

https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2020/01/23/wikileaks-editor-us-is-saying-first-amendment-doesnt-apply-to-foreigners-in-assange-case/

sidd

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: January 25, 2020, 12:38:08 AM »
No person shall . . . . be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law

That ship sailed...or never landed at least not for everyone.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: January 25, 2020, 03:55:19 AM »
Empire moves to muzzle media: First amendment does not apply to non US citizens

"Julian Assange has no First Amendment freedoms"

https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2020/01/23/wikileaks-editor-us-is-saying-first-amendment-doesnt-apply-to-foreigners-in-assange-case/

sidd

But American Laws apply to Everyone!
Terry

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3517
  • Likes Given: 754
« Reply #1120 on: January 29, 2020, 07:16:15 PM »
Newspaper 'Hierarchy' of Injury Glamorises War
https://phys.org/news/2020-01-newspaper-hierarchy-injury-glamorises-war.html

Academics from Anglia Ruskin University's Veterans and Families Institute for Military Social Research (VFI) examined the reporting of injuries sustained by British military personnel during the height of the UK's war in Afghanistan in 2009, and a comparison period in 2014, in all daily and Sunday UK national newspapers.

They found that representation of injured personnel differed substantially between articles reporting on combat and non-combat injuries, with wounds suffered in battle being framed as more 'heroic' than those sustained in other situations, such as during training or in road traffic accidents.

Newspapers tended to provide factual descriptions of non-combat injuries, but in reports of wounds suffered in battle, there was a tendency to add emotive terms, such as "horrific" or "harrowing," and provide more details and context.

... "The media plays a key role in how the public understands war and it generates and amplifies the heroic rhetoric that sticks to soldiers and veterans during times of conflict. ... "We found that reporting describing combat injuries was highly charged, sensational and emotive. At the same time, bland, factual descriptions were used when reporting on military personnel serving in Afghanistan whose injuries were not sustained on the battlefield. Glamorising combat injuries as a more worthy form of heroic sacrifice obscures the reality that there is nothing glamorous about the often hideous day-to-day realities of war and its aftermath.

Nick Caddick et al, Hierarchies of wounding: Media framings of 'combat' and 'non-combat' injury, Media, War & Conflict (2020)
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1121 on: January 30, 2020, 07:41:01 AM »
^^
You're only a hero if you've murdered or wounded other humans and destroyed and their homes/cultures. It's military tradition. Glorification of (high tech button pressing) murder, violence, death and destruction.
That is what you get with a inherited-wealth power-hierarchy, an army of trained violence-humans, ownership of land and lifeforms, and supremacy over nature and lower-hierarchy humans. Because it is tradition, modern humans have no critical thoughts on this: An example of a 'bubble'. Your mind is clouded and your view is distorted because you think 'it is normal' & 'we have always done it like this' & 'it's tradition' etc. and you'll passionately defend that distorted 'normal' because you cannot see the big picture and defend the small wrong picture you do see and all others see with you - it must be true if your/our whole culture is like this and everyone agrees with you - all sharing the same distorted 'normal's.

On topic: modern media is, with some exceptions, not critical at all. Education is not critical. Critical thought and calibration are extremely important for finding truth.

edit: Could the thread title have read: "Examples of fake news"?
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1122 on: January 30, 2020, 11:45:57 AM »
nanning:
The idea of the thread is to provide both fake and real news.
Of course, there seems to be an excess of the fake, but that is just the way it is.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1123 on: January 30, 2020, 03:45:11 PM »

blumenkraft

« Reply #1124 on: January 30, 2020, 03:47:20 PM »

I disagree. Fake news is not journalism. Therefore it's neither bad nor good journalism.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1125 on: January 30, 2020, 04:36:37 PM »

I disagree. Fake news is not journalism. Therefore it's neither bad nor good journalism.
I guess that is a matter of definition.

johnm33

« Reply #1126 on: January 30, 2020, 08:29:53 PM »
The fed handing over $2.5m per.sec. during work hours to save wall st.
https://wallstreetonparade.com/2020/01/fed-repos-have-plowed-6-6-trillion-to-wall-street-in-four-months-thats-34-of-its-feeding-tube-during-epic-financial-crash/
"According to the data made available on the public website of the New York Fed, since September 17, 2019 it has funneled a cumulative total of $6.6 trillion to some of  the 24 trading houses on Wall Street that are known as its “primary dealers.” The giant sum has been sluiced to Wall Street in the form of repurchase agreement (repo) loans without any details being provided to the elected representatives in Congress as to which firms are getting the money or what it’s being ultimately used for. But since the stock market has set repeated new highs since the program launched, some veteran market watchers believe the Fed is fueling a Ponzi-like rally in stocks."

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 31, 2020, 06:18:04 AM »
Journalists as targets: stopping the press

" investigations conducted by Citizen Lab and other researchers have now identified at least 13 journalists and civic media actors targeted with Pegasus spyware "

" in both Mexico and Saudi Arabia, spyware infection attempts have been linked to or associated with targeted killings. "

https://citizenlab.ca/2020/01/stopping-the-press-new-york-times-journalist-targeted-by-saudi-linked-pegasus-spyware-operator/

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 06, 2020, 06:12:27 AM »
Lyon interviews Cornell West on Howard Zinn at blackagendareport: Missing Zinn

"when you go into James Baldwin’s house, the first thing you see is Chekhov. You go into Ralph Ellison’s house, the first thing you see is Dostoevsky. You go into Richard Wright’s house, the first thing you see is also Dostoevsky."

"he [Zinn] was a canary in the coal mine. From the end of World War II until 1989, there were seventy-two U.S. interventions around the world and Brother Howard was critical of all of them. I remember marching with him with regard to El Salvador, in regard to Honduras, in regard to South Africa, in regard to the Dominican Republic."

"When some of the leading Jewish intellectuals and politicians of our day get categorized as anti-Semitic, it highlights both the success of the campaign to fuse anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism, as well as the absurdity of how we understand anti-Semitism"

" if you have a righteous indignation against Israel’s occupation of Gaza or the second-class citizenship of Palestinians in their own land, you can be called anti-Semitic"

"I’ve been critical of Brother Bernie for not paying enough attention to empire and imperial policies, and I’ve pushed him on issues of white supremacy and male supremacy. But I love my brother deeply, and he is the most progressive figure in the history of this country to have a possibility of becoming president of the United States."

"We have sanctions against Cuba, against Iran. Bernie disagrees that this is something we should do with Israel. I said: “Brother Bernie, I love you to death. I have my stance, you have your stance, I’m not gonna go around trying to impose my view, I’m gonna put forward my argument and we’ll have that disagreement.” "

"The bombs that you drop in Vietnam also land on the ghettos and the reservations, and the barrios, and the poor white sections of the United States."

" one thing about Brother Howard that was interesting to me: he was a prisoner of hope."

"I’m more Chekhovian: that the world is full of mendacity, criminality, cupidity, love of domination, so that sometimes a hundred lies can push out the truth. "

" I detect that in moments of Brother Howard’s work, but I think that Russian, Chekhovian element, ironically, is closer to me than it was to him. In that sense, he’s more American than I am. I’m more Russian"

https://www.blackagendareport.com/cornel-west-missing-zinn

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: February 07, 2020, 05:53:28 AM »
Malmgren at the baffler: networked to hell

"I was living invoice-to-invoiceI was living invoice-to-invoice ... Everything was fucked ... I could tread water from anywhere with an internet connection. It didn’t matter where I was. I could travel the country without leaving the grid."

"I also started to notice a growing deficit of careful attention ... I understood less and less about my surroundings, and simultaneously felt they understood less about me."

"Lacking consistent, sustained human contact, I increasingly sought the passive comforts of the internet."

"there was nothing communal about the process. Still, it was the best I had ... it felt like the lifestyle the world wanted me to lead: modular, personalized, detached, isolated, and yet deeply interconnected ... a fractal multitude of pathways that sapped the meaning and presence from all of its destinations. "

" the U.S. Interstate Highway System started to feel like an extension of the internet—a diffuse, instantaneously interconnected collection ... manifest in the material world. The veins took precedence over the organs they connected. "

"living out of a mobile conversion van intensified, rather than subverted, my integration into an abstract system of systems. "

" people responded to my living situation by asking for my Instagram handle"

[Quoting Castells] "Under the conditions of the network society, capital is globally coordinated, labor is individualized. The struggle between diverse capitalists and miscellaneous working classes is subsumed into the more fundamental opposition between the bare logic of capital flows and the cultural values of human experience."

"cheapens the particularities of daily social, economic, political, and aesthetic life, asserting the primacy of novelty, growth, abstraction, and constant motion ... As individual experiences of temporality are increasingly commodified—as well as experiences of identity formation and dissolution—the richness of their abundance is flattened into a droll conveyor belt of exchange values."

"t today’s mass communications technologies, promoted as tools for “connectedness,” instead induce profound alienation ... The network society produces strangers, and I was an efficient stranger by the time I woke up"

"You can improve at surface-level engagement, and you can prepare for new environments with academic detachment, but you can’t reproduce authentic feelings of home "

"Everywhere started to feel the same ... the exercise had less to do with individual destinations than the process of continuous making and unmaking. I was an addict. The pavement of the Interstate Highway System unfurled before me, and I consumed it "

"Finance capital courses through the digital and physical veins of the network society, privileging scale above content—exchange above use value—and fundamentally affecting our ability to rationalize surroundings into stories or put them into coherent sequence ... without regard for the context required to create empathy or mutual understanding ... the internet increasingly applies it to how almost everyone relates to each other and the broader world."

"consider how content is arranged on these platforms. It’s an absolute mess, a decontextualized stew of complex information that, taken as a whole, is absolutely incomprehensible "

"Understanding each individual post requires you to identify a discursive context, mentally embed yourself within it, situate the content in conversation with meaningful referents, and then dissociate from that conversation in order to move onto and relate to the next post. This is a communications apparatus that force-feeds the world to its users as a rapid succession of floating signifiers, circulated for the sake of circulation and not because they cohere into any rational meta-narrative."

"Maybe this was the life. But was it really mine?"

https://thebaffler.com/outbursts/networked-up-malmgren

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1130 on: February 07, 2020, 10:50:53 AM »
The enemy is within

E. Smith

blumenkraft

« Reply #1131 on: February 07, 2020, 08:24:17 PM »
Always extremely good political analysis: The Majority Report!

Casual Friday w/ David Feldman & Pareene

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: February 08, 2020, 08:26:20 PM »
Interview with Melzer at republik: the framing of Assange

"Julian Assange uncovered torture, has been tortured himself and could be tortured "

"someone shines a light on the elephant in the room – on war criminals, on corruption. Assange is the man with the spotlight. The governments are briefly in shock, but then they turn the spotlight around with accusations of rape ... The elephant once again disappears into the darkness, behind the spotlight. And Assange becomes the focus of attention instead ... Suddenly, we all know that he is a rapist, a hacker, a spy and a narcissist. But the abuses and war crimes he uncovered fade into the darkness. "

"Why would a person be subject to nine years of a preliminary investigation for rape without charges ever having been filed?"

"The Swedish authorities, though, were never interested in testimony from Assange. They intentionally left him in limbo. "

"the supervisor of the policewoman who had conducted the questioning wrote her an email telling her to rewrite the statement ... the first statement was directly written over in the computer program and no longer exists. We only know that the original statement, according to the chief public prosecutor, apparently did not contain any indication that a crime had been committed. "

"The statement was edited without the involvement of the woman in question and it wasn’t signed by her. It is a manipulated piece of evidence out of which the Swedish authorities then constructed a story of rape."

"things are constantly happening that shouldn’t actually be possible"

"Assange caught wind of the fact that a secret criminal case had been opened against him in the U.S. At the time, it was not confirmed by the U.S., but today we know that it was true. As of that moment, Assange’s lawyer began saying that his client was prepared to testify in Sweden, but he demanded diplomatic assurance that Sweden would not extradite him to the U.S."

"during the nearly seven years in which Assange lived in the Ecuadorian Embassy, they made over 30 offers to arrange for Assange to visit Sweden – in exchange for a guarantee that he would not be extradited to the U.S. The Swedes declined to provide such a guarantee ... Such diplomatic assurances are a routine international practice.  "

"If you cannot guarantee that I won’t be extradited, then I am willing to be questioned in London or via video link ... During the period of time in question, such questioning between Sweden and England took place in 44 other cases."

"The number of breaches of law that accumulated in Sweden within just a few weeks during the preliminary criminal investigation is simply grotesque."

" When the Swedes told the UK that they may be forced to abandon the case, the British wrote back, worriedly: «Don’t you dare get cold feet!!» "

"What Wikileaks did is a threat to the political elite in the U.S., Britain, France and Russia in equal measure. "

" a constitutional democracy would investigate and punish the war criminals."

" the really horrifying thing about this case is the lawlessness that has developed: The powerful can kill without fear of punishment and journalism is transformed into espionage. It is becoming a crime to tell the truth."

"Assange will receive a trial-by-jury in Alexandria, Virginia – the notorious «Espionage Court» where the U.S. tries all national security cases ... the jury members must be chosen in proportion to the local population, and 85 percent of Alexandria residents work in the national security community ... the verdict is clear from the very beginning. The cases are always tried in front of the same judge behind closed doors and on the strength of classified evidence. Nobody has ever been acquitted there in a case like that."

" as long as employees of the American government obey the orders of their superiors, they can participate in wars of aggression, war crimes and torture knowing full well that they will never have to answer to their actions. "

"the U.S. has withdrawn from the UN Human Rights Council, and neither the «Collateral Murder» massacre nor the CIA torture following 9/11 nor the war of aggression against Iraq have led to criminal investigations. Now, the United Kingdom is following"

"Assange’s lawyer ... made a formal objection to one of the judges for conflict of interest because her husband had been the subject of Wikileaks exposures in 35 instances. But the lead judge brushed aside the concerns "

"what we are dealing with here is political persecution ... a disproportionate penalty that had only a single purpose: Holding Assange long enough for the U.S. to prepare their espionage case against him."

"The Swedish state spent almost a decade intentionally presenting Julian Assange to the public as a sex offender. Then, they suddenly abandoned the case against him on the strength of the same argument that the first Stockholm prosecutor used in 2010 ... But the timing was no accident ... When a country like Sweden declines to answer questions submitted by the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture, it shows that the government is aware of the illegality of its behavior and wants to take no responsibility for its behavior. They pulled the plug and abandoned the case a week later because they knew I would not back down. "

" A show trial is to be used to make an example of Julian Assange. The point is to intimidate other journalists. Intimidation, by the way, is one of the primary purposes for the use of torture around the world. The message to all of us is: This is what will happen to you"

"Four democratic countries joined forces – the U.S., Ecuador, Sweden and the UK – to leverage their power to portray one man as a monster so that he could later be burned at the stake without any outcry. The case is a huge scandal and represents the failure of Western rule of law. "

"And nobody is being held accountable. Nobody is taking responsibility. It marks an erosion of the social contract. We give countries power and delegate it to governments – but in return, they must be held accountable for how they exercise that power. If we don’t demand that they be held accountable, we will lose our rights sooner or later. Humans are not democratic by their nature. Power corrupts if it is not monitored. Corruption is the result if we do not insist that power be monitored."

" if we no longer know what our governments are doing and the criteria they are following, if crimes are no longer being investigated, then it represents a grave danger to societal integrity."

"that which always happened to the other – unpunished torture, rape, expulsion and murder – can just as easily happen to us or our children. And nobody will care."

https://www.republik.ch/2020/01/31/nils-melzer-about-wikileaks-founder-julian-assange

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 10, 2020, 07:23:31 AM »
Three giants of Australian journalism: Sterling at mintpress

On Wilfred Burchett:

"In his story “The Atomic Plague”, published in the London Daily Express, Burchett said,  “I write this as a warning to the world” and “Doctors fall as they work”.   Immediately the US launched a campaign to smear his reputation and deny the validity of his story. The US military was intent on preventing people from knowing the long term effects of nuclear radiation."

"Burchett was vilified by the establishment political leaders in Australia. His Australian passport was taken, the government refused to issue him a new one and he was barred from entering Australia. Even his children were denied their Australian citizenship."

"Bertrand Russell said, “One man, Wilfred Burchett, alerted Western public opinion to the nature of this war and the struggle of the Vietnamese people.”  "

On John Pilger:

"Harold Pinter, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature, says “John Pilger unearths, with steely attention, the facts, the filthy truth. and tells it like it is. "

On Julian Assange:

"The US wants him extradited to the US where he has been charged with 18 counts of  “Illegally Obtaining, Receiving and Disclosing Classified Information”.  The extradition hearing is scheduled to begin on 24 February 2020."

https://www.mintpressnews.com/three-extraordinary-australian-journalists-that-spoke-truth-to-power/264753/

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: February 10, 2020, 08:13:36 AM »
Scheer interviews Blumenthal:

"the Simon Wiesenthal Center, which is this right-wing racket "

"maybe a majority of secular Jewish Americans, progressive Jews, who have completely turned their back on the whole Zionist project. "

"Netanyahu is really kind of an American figure ... he’s a Republican figure. He’s like a card-carrying neoconservative Republican."

"Israeli occupation as the byproduct of a system of apartheid which has been in place from the beginning, since 1948, which was a product of a settler colonial movement."

"a figure in Israel in Netanyahu, who is, very clearly embodies a racialized view, a jingoistic view of the other"

"Moshe Dayan ... was absolutely opposed to a viable Palestinian state. He even said that we cannot have a Palestinian state because it will connect psychologically, in the minds of the Palestinian public who are citizens of Israel — that 20% of Israel who are indigenous Palestinians — it will connect them to Nablus in the West Bank, and it will provide them with a basis for rebelling against the Israeli state to expand the Palestinian state."

"he state that they were proposed was what Yitzhak Rabin, in his final address before the Israeli Knesset, the Israeli parliament, called “less than a state.” He promised Israel that at Oslo, he would deliver the Palestinians less than a state. And if you look at the actual plan that the Palestinians were handed at Oslo ... the map was not that different from the map that Donald Trump has offered with the “ultimate deal.” "

" Ehud Barak of the Labor Party, Yitzhak Rabin’s successor, who moved more settlers into the West Bank, by a landslide, than Netanyahu did."

"a contradiction in the Jewish experience, because Jews ... understand what settler colonialism does. They understand what oppression does, they’ve been under the thumb of oppressors."

"Bernie Sanders, the one Jewish candidate, is the one who dared to bring up the Palestinians — that they have rights also, that they’re human beings. He’s being attacked for it as ... a self-hating Jew"

"I said, you know, here are photos of Elie Wiesel palling around with fascists. And the kind of Netanyahu-Adelson network activated to attack me. And ultimately it led ...  to Hillary Clinton’s campaign officially denouncing me and demanding that I cease and desist.  ...  it was clear Elie Wiesel, this person who was supposed to be a saint, was actually no longer seen as stainless"

"The Democratic Party is not democratic on Israel, but it’s no longer a third-rail issue. You can talk about it"

"Hillary Clinton has really represented a kind of loathsome, interventionist, aggressive, America-first politics that in some ways is even more offensive than Trump"

" that Washington culture. And where there’s a certain arrogance in it, that they are always, even when they do the wrong things, they’re just always accidents. They’re always mistakes. You know, it never comes out of their ideology, their aggression"

"how does it work with the Clintons? They were — they set up a machine that was really a juggernaut with all this corporate money they brought in through the DLC, the Democratic Leadership Committee. It was a very different structure than we’d seen with previous Democratic candidates who built — who relied heavily on unions and, you know, the civil rights coalition. And that machine never went away."

"the machine grew into the Clinton Global Initiative, which was this giant influence-peddling scam that just cashed in on disasters in Haiti, brought in tons of money, tens of millions of dollars from Gulf monarchies, and big oil and the arms industry — everything that funds all the repulsive think tanks on K Street through the Clinton Foundation."

" entire countries were destroyed under the direct watch of Hillary Clinton. "

" Hillary Clinton said we can’t be negotiating with the Syrian government; the hard men with guns will solve this problem"

"She [Chelsea Clinton] just basically inherited the reign of the Clinton Foundation and Clinton Global Initiative. She does paid talks for Israel. Her husband Marc Mezvinsky, he gambled on Greece’s debt along with Lloyd Blankfein, the CEO of Goldman Sachs ...  it just absolutely disgusts me."

"Hillary Clinton is still there! She won’t go away! She’s not only helped fuel this Russiagate hysteria that’s plunged us into a new Cold War, but she’s trying to destroy the hopes and dreams of millions of young people who are saddled with endless debt by destroying Bernie Sanders. And it’s because she sees her own legacy being smashed to pieces, not by any right-wing, vast conspiracy, but by the electorate, the new electorate of the Democratic Party. And I absolutely welcome that. "

"one of the takeaways is this will be the end of Clintonism. It’s time to move on and hand things over to a new generation. They had their chance, and they not only failed, they caused disasters across the world."

" what the Clinton revolution did was it made class warfare for the rich fashionable ...  it said these thieves on Wall Street, these people who are going to rip you off 20 different ways to Sunday — they’re good people, and they support good causes ... the whole thing of unleashing Wall Street and getting, destroying the New Deal — that was a serious program to basically betray the average American and betray their interest. And that’s why we’ve had this growing income inequality since that time. That’s the Clinton legacy in this world, really, is the billionaire coup, the billionaire culture."

"that’s what we saw through the Obama administration. Obama presided over the biggest decline in black home ownership in the United States since, I think, prior to World War II. You mentioned Glass-Steagall; this set the stage for the financial crisis; NAFTA, destroyed the unions, shipped American jobs first to Mexico and then to China, and destabilized northern Mexico along with the drug war that Clinton put on overdriv"

"there was just this desire to just beat the Republicans and out-triangulate them. Now that we’ve seen the effects on them and so many people have felt the effects, you have an entire generation that sees no future, that realizes they’re living in an oligarchy, realizes that the alternative to Bernie Sanders is a literal oligarch, this miniature Scrooge McDuck in Mike Bloomberg, and they’re just not having it."

" But the people that you’ve been talking about, that–you know, and I voted for all of them, and I’ve supported them — are they really the lesser evil? You know, or are they a more effective form of evil?"

"to understand Trump, we just have to see him as the apotheosis of an oligarchy. In its most unsheathed, unvarnished form, he’s just lifted the mask off the corruption, "

" in a lot of ways, Donald Trump does share more in common with the Democratic Party elite ...  the Beltway blob and the Beltway bandits — than they do with Bernie Sanders."

" there will be an effort to McGovern him. To just kind of turn him — turn this whole process into McGovern ’72, hope that Bernie Sanders gets destroyed by Donald Trump, and then wag their fingers at the left for the next 20 years until they get another Bill Clinton ... they don’t know how to stop him at this point, but they’re willing to let him be the nominee and go down to Donald Trump, because Bernie Sanders threatens their interests, and the movement behind him particularly, more than Donald Trump does."

"who is the lesser evil"

"the mainstream media has actually taken a very moderate figure, Bernie Sanders, and demonized him as some kind of hopeless ideologue"

" you can’t let these greed merchants control everything, you have to worry about some compensation for ordinary people. That’s what Bernie Sanders is all about. "

"I’ve voted for all sorts of evil people because they were lesser ... I think we have to get that idea out of our head."

" they’ve made warmongering liberal and fashionable ... they’ve made the CIA now a wonderful institution, the FBI a wonderful institution ... Bolton a wonderful hero.  ... what’s called a lesser evil can’t be given a pass. Because in fact, maybe in some ways, or in many ways, it’s a more effective evil. "

"Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton ...represented this embrace of the Wall Street center — they were much more effective in redistributing income to the rich. You know, you can talk about Trump’s tax break, but the real redistribution came with letting Wall Street do its collateralized debt obligations and credit default swaps that caused the destruction of 70% of black wealth in America, 60% of brown wealth in America ... in this election, people have to think — you know, yes, I’ll hold my nose and I’ll vote for the lesser evil. But what’s that going to get us? Does it get us a more effective evil, a better-packaged evil? "

" Look at who’s been sold to us as the lesser evil that we had to support ... and they’ve subjected Americans to the same evil the Republican Party has"

" Bernie Sanders does nothing, and proposes nothing, outside the framework of the New Deal and LBJ’s Great Society ... he is someone who at least offers a change from the consensus where the government actually starts to intervene to prevent people from dying excess deaths across the country, from the opioid crisis, from poverty, from homelessness"

"the American public and the western public are sick of being lied into war, and they’re sick of being pushed into lesser evilism"

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-clinton-machine-will-do-anything-to-stop-bernie-sanders/

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: February 10, 2020, 07:47:14 PM »
^^
A great interview with very well informed comments. I'm adding Truthdig to my list of must reads.

Thanks
Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1136 on: February 12, 2020, 11:49:10 PM »
I prefer Jimmy Dore's studio segments over the live performances, because they're too loud and there's too much swearing, but this is a good and funny one:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: February 18, 2020, 07:49:45 AM »
Blast from the past: 2005 profile of Sanders at rollingstone from Taibbi

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/inside-the-horror-show-that-is-congress-177955/

Read the whole thing.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: February 24, 2020, 03:02:40 AM »
Another blast from the past: 1967 meeting in cleveland

The photo in the leadoff is iconic. Bill Russell, Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown and Kareem Abdul-Jabba( when he was still Lew Alcindor) seated.

"They wanted to know just how strong Ali stood behind his convictions as a conscientious objector to the Vietnam War. "

"Black people were coming to Cleveland from all over the country to see what we were doing here politically and economically, because no other city was doing it like we were,"

"The athletes at the summit were not going to give Ali blind support. Many needed answers to exactly why Ali claimed to be a conscientious objector. "

"Those guys shot questions at the champ, and he took them, and fought back."

"many of the men planned to convince Ali to accept his call to the military."

" "Jim told me that Ali talked for two straight hours," Arum said. "And you have to understand that at that time, Ali was functionally illiterate. And here he was in a room with these great athletes who were all college educated, but he was able to convince all of them that the path he was taking was the correct one. And people at that point and time didn't realize how smart Ali was." "

https://www.cleveland.com/sports/2012/06/gathering_of_stars.html

sidd

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #1139 on: March 03, 2020, 04:04:01 PM »
About the influence of mass media and internet

https://mahb.stanford.edu/blog/media-dysfunctional-nervous/

"In the modern world we know, the mass media – television, radio, and the internet – function as humanity’s collective nervous system linking billions of people worldwide. The problem is these media are failing big time when it comes to serving the public as honest brokers of information and understanding."

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: March 04, 2020, 04:16:21 PM »
Major science journal retracts study blaming climate change on the sun

Last year, Scientific Reports came under fire for publishing a paper that researchers said made elementary mistakes about how Earth moves around the sun.

Today the journal, published by Nature Research, which also has Nature in its stable of titles, formally retracted the paper by a team at UK universities and an institution in Azerbaijan.

The withdrawn study had argued that the average global 1°C temperature rise since the pre-industrial period was due not to humanity’s greenhouse gas emissions but to the distance between Earth and the sun changing over time as the sun orbits the barycentre, the solar system’s centre of mass. In a statement today, Scientific Reports said that was inaccurate.

“Solar system orbital dynamics is extremely well understood, and it wouldn’t have taken much for the authors to have checked if their claims about the significance of the motion of the sun around the solar system barycentre were indeed correct,” he says.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2236103-major-science-journal-retracts-study-blaming-climate-change-on-the-sun

So who peer reviewed that anyway?  ::)

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3517
  • Likes Given: 754
« Reply #1141 on: March 18, 2020, 03:14:18 AM »
'We Have a Responsibility': Fox News Declares Coronavirus a Crisis in Abrupt U-turn
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/mar/17/fox-news-coronavirus-outbreak-trump

... Fox News hosts often claimed that those warning of the danger were “panic pushers”, or engaged in “mass hysteria”. Some on Fox News even claimed it was all an effort to try to bring down the president.

But in recent days Fox News has performed an abrupt U-turn, and declared coronavirus a crisis.

“We have a responsibility to slow down this virus and to think of other people during this time,” Ainsley Earhardt told viewers today. “So if you can keep your distance, and prevent someone from getting close to you that might be sick, you can save your family, you can save the elderly, and help our country as a nation.”

Three days earlier, Earnhardt struck a different tone, when she suggested people should take advantage of the crisis to take a trip.

“It’s actually the safest time to fly,” Earhardt had said.

On 10 March Sean Hannity, Fox News’ most-watched host and a personal friend to Trump, accused the left of creating “hysteria”. He attempted to downplay Covid-19 by comparing it to the flu, and also suggested the Democratic frontrunner, Joe Biden, was using it as an excuse to cancel rallies.

Today: “This virus is serious,” Hannity said. “We’ve been telling you that from day one. We need to take the flu seriously. We need to take cancer seriously, this virus seriously. Of course, we all need to prepare accordingly.”

Trish Regan’s show on Fox Business ... As a graphic: “Coronavirus impeachment hoax” appeared on screen, Regan claimed Democrats had created “mass hysteria to encourage a market sell-off”.

Regan added: “Many in the liberal media [are] using [the] coronavirus to demonize and destroy the president.”

“Why the melodrama?” she asked. “I’ll give you two words: Donald Trump.”

... The median age of a prime-time Fox News viewer is 66, meaning many viewers fall into the most at-risk category for complications from the coronavirus.

--------------------------

... it appeared from The Times of the seventeenth of March that Big Brother, in his speech of the previous day, had predicted that the South Indian front would remain quiet but that a Eurasian offensive would shortly be launched in North Africa. As it happened, the Eurasian Higher Command had launched its offensive in South India and left North Africa alone. It was therefore necessary to rewrite a paragraph of Big Brother's speech, in such a way as to make him predict the thing that had actually happened. Or again, The Times of the nineteenth of December had published the official forecasts of the output of various classes of consumption goods in the fourth quarter of 1983, which was also the sixth quarter of the Ninth Three-Year Plan. Today's issue contained a statement of the actual output, from which it appeared that the forecasts were in every instance grossly wrong. Winston's job was to rectify the original figures by making them agree with the later ones. As for the third message, it referred to a very simple error which could be set right in a couple of minutes. As short a time ago as February, the Ministry of Plenty had issued a promise (a 'categorical pledge' were the official words) that there would be no reduction of the chocolate ration during 1984. Actually, as Winston was aware, the chocolate ration was to be reduced from thirty grammes to twenty at the end of the present week. All that was needed was to substitute for the original promise a warning that it would probably be necessary to reduce the ration at some time in April.

- 1984 - Part 1 - Chapter 4

George Orwell

--------------------------
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 28, 2020, 06:11:01 AM »
Ohno at medium: Breaking power breaks consensus

" norms are built around an assumption that consensus is normal and desirable among people who communicate with each other — in other words, that whenever people calmly and rationally communicate, they will come to an understanding about base reality. This ignores the role of power relations in communication"

"many cultures benefit from beliefs that aren’t grounded in observation, deduction, or strong evidence that they correspond to base reality — but, rather, by the fact that everybody who didn’t hold those beliefs eventually died for reasons that remain obscure."

"epistemic centralization was produced by tight control over broadcast communication"

"Consensus reality is merely a side effect of ignoring or erasing the pieces that cannot be made legible"

"We cannot effectively consider topics we are not allowed to discuss"

"self-enforced standards — rules for journalism, for instance — along with state-enforced measures to create a ‘legitimate’ class and separate it from ‘illegitimate’ amateurs"

"Prior to widespread literacy and widespread access to oral mass broadcast media, consensus-making and meaning-making was a social process rather than a parasocial one."

"What the internet did was to make visible the already-existing alien realities of the outgroup and allow faster mutation through the cross-pollination of fringe groups."

"we all live in a postmodern age, and so we all experience a loss of shared meaning in our own private ways."

"Millennials and Gen X-ers have largely grown up in an environment where to believe in a fully-knowable truth is considered naive"

"As anarchists, our solution probably should not be to impose our own worldview upon less-powerful subjects."

" ideas are not more effective, valuable, or popular just because they are true."

"a landscape of warring mythologies"

https://medium.com/the-weird-politics-review/the-politics-of-epistemic-fragmentation-175d6bbb98a4

sidd

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #1143 on: March 30, 2020, 08:07:26 AM »
Call for a global cease fire.

From UN Secretary General António Guterres :
https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/speeches/2020-03-23/secretary-general-appeal-for-global-ceasefire

--

Our world faces a common enemy: COVID-19.

The virus does not care about nationality or ethnicity, faction or faith. It attacks all, relentlessly.

Meanwhile, armed conflict rages on around the world.

The most vulnerable — women and children, people with disabilities, the marginalized and the displaced — pay the highest price.

They are also at the highest risk of suffering devastating losses from COVID-19.

Let’s not forget that in war-ravaged countries, health systems have collapsed.

Health professionals, already few in number, have often been targeted.

Refugees and others displaced by violent conflict are doubly vulnerable.

The fury of the virus illustrates the folly of war.

That is why today, I am calling for an immediate global ceasefire in all corners of the world.

Join the call for an immediate global ceasefire.

It is time to put armed conflict on lockdown and focus together on the true fight of our lives.

To warring parties, I say:

Pull back from hostilities.

Put aside mistrust and animosity.

Silence the guns; stop the artillery; end the airstrikes.

This is crucial…

To help create corridors for life-saving aid.

To open precious windows for diplomacy.

To bring hope to places among the most vulnerable to COVID-19.

Let us take inspiration from coalitions and dialogue slowly taking shape among rival parties in some parts to enable joint approaches to COVID-19. But we need much more.

End the sickness of war and fight the disease that is ravaging our world.

It starts by stopping the fighting everywhere. Now.

That is what our human family needs, now more than ever.

- UN Secretary General António Guterres
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 30, 2020, 11:51:00 PM »
Case interviews Case at 3 at 3quarksdaily in three parts: hermit amidst farmers

"Farmers seem to be largely offended by an offer to purchase anything, or anyone having an advantage in the realm of favors granted. They will give you anything, and they will graciously accept what you give them, but they will never ask for a thing and seem to hate things being offered."

" I used to be annoyed by wind, now I like the thing. Used to prefer summer to winter, now that has reversed. "

" it was probably my own desperation to understand, to be understood, what delivered me here to hermitude. It slowly became apparent that I do not understand, and also, more painfully, am not understood. I spent so much time and energy trying to be understood that I became little more than that thing, the thing which seeks to be understood."

"Sometimes I wonder how a blind person thinks. "

"I remember nearly all of the houses being the same color—seafoam green—and to this day when I see that color I am whipped with that same feeling of misery one can freely experience on that reservation. "

"I have gone there—nowhere—many times, but not one person has asked to see the album of photos from those trips"

"Files placed in cabinets are not themselves the extent of the subjects they pertain to."

"I see that path leading not toward giving up on the state of things, but toward a way of solving manmade problems by not creating them. I can only lament the invisibility of such an approach, but if it were not invisible so, too, would it have a color."

"So it seems the thought best suited to my hermitude is the one reminding me not to use my thoughts as a platform to stand on, but to witness them as an ever changing flow which I cohabitate with but do not possess, and to grant them only as much control over my actions as they give me over theirs."

"I have a difficult time anymore viewing language as anything other than the perfect, proverbial double-edged sword; one edge honed for slicing precisely in the best and most beneficial of ways, the other honed for slicing precisely in the worst and most destructive of ways; the single most beautiful and menacing tool ever devised. The trouble is that the two edges seem indistinguishable from one another, the whole piece crafted with such care that it cannot help but be as dangerous as it is useful, even hopeful."

"There are so many variables to both the application and receipt of language, that I am not at all certain it can be trusted"

"The dogs are exceptional communicators, not just by what they say in not saying anything, but in the way they might have arrived at not saying it. Fascinating. All one has to do is not listen."

"nature, let us say, it seems incapable of even being heard until one stops completely—even one’s own breathing can mask its messages—and takes the time—sometimes a lot of time—to hear it. What happens then is profound. "

https://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksdaily/2019/10/ask-a-hermit.html
https://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksdaily/2020/02/ask-a-hermit-part-ii.html
https://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksdaily/2020/03/ask-a-hermit-part-iii.html

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1145 on: April 02, 2020, 04:34:17 PM »
Call for a global cease fire.

From UN Secretary General António Guterres :
https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/speeches/2020-03-23/secretary-general-appeal-for-global-ceasefire

This has nothing to do with bad or good journalism, Rob. But here's an example of good journalism, that is in line with what the UN secretary-general says, although you probably won't agree, as you've been with Trump/Pompeo/Bolton on this one:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

blumenkraft

« Reply #1146 on: April 09, 2020, 09:57:39 PM »
The Alt-Right Playbook: I Hate Mondays

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 11, 2020, 06:58:39 AM »
The disinformation industry: Ain't enuf disinfo ? Make some!

"The output of the disinformation industry doesn’t ‘border on disinformation’, it is to a large degree disinformation. "

" It’s what they do. If they can’t find it, their reason for existence disappears. So, they find it. And if they can’t, they fabricate it."

https://irrussianality.wordpress.com/2020/04/08/exposing-the-disinformation-industry/

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: May 01, 2020, 12:53:33 AM »
Taibbi on censorship:

" they [Goldsmith and Woods]  posited, Americans could be moved to reconsider their “understanding” of the First and Fourth Amendments, as “the harms from digital speech” continue to grow, and “the social costs of a relatively open Internet multiply.” "

"This interesting take on the First Amendment was the latest in a line of “Let’s rethink that whole democracy thing” that began sprouting up in earnest four years ago. Articles with headlines like “Democracies end when they become too democratic” and “Too much of a good thing: why we need less democracy” became common after two events in particular: Donald Trump’s victory in the the Republican primary race, and the decision by British voters to opt out of the EU, i.e. “Brexit.” "

"A consistent lament in these pieces was the widespread decline in respect for “experts” among the ignorant masses"

"The time for asking the (again, literally) unwashed to listen harder to their betters is over. The Chinese system offers a way out. When it comes to speech, don’t ask: tell. "

[Quoting Thomas Frank: ] "That’s their future, and it’s a satisfying one: a finger wagging in some vulgar proletarian’s face, forever."

"The news media, academia, the Democratic Party, show-business celebrities and masses of blue-checked Twitter virtuosos became a kind of umbrella agreement society, united by loathing of Trump and fury toward anyone who dissented with their preoccupations. "

"there was no longer any legitimate excuse for disagreeing with Conventional Wisdom’s takes on Russia, Julian Assange, Jill Stein, Joe Rogan, the 25th amendment, Ukraine, the use of the word “treason,” the removal of Alex Jones, the movie Joker, or whatever else happened to be the #Resistance scolding fixation of the day. "

" Failure to take scolding was no longer just a deplorable faux pas. Not heeding experts was now murder. It could not be tolerated."

"The people who want to add a censorship regime to a health crisis are more dangerous and more stupid by leaps and bounds than a president who tells people to inject disinfectant. "

"a significant portion of the medical and epidemiological establishment called this disaster wrong  ...  Right-wingers are having a blast collecting the headlines"

"the entire community of pollsters in 2016 denounced as infamous the idea that Donald Trump could win the Republican nomination, let alone the general election ... if you asked a hundred Wall Street analysts in September 2008 what caused the financial crisis, probably no more than a handful would have mentioned fraud or malfeasance. "

"Authorities by their nature are often wrong. Sometimes they have an interest in denying truths, and sometimes they actually try to define truth as being whatever they say it is. "

"we’ve lost the ability to decouple scientific or policy discussions, or simple issues of fact, from a political argument. "

"We do actually have to talk about this. We can’t not talk about it out of fear of being censored, or because we’re confusing real harm with political harm."

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/temporary-coronavirus-censorship

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: May 16, 2020, 07:41:42 AM »
Taibbi at substack:

"Warrantless surveillance, multiple illegal leaks of classified information, a false statements charge constructed on the razor’s edge of Miranda, and the use of never-produced, secret counterintelligence evidence in a domestic criminal proceeding – this is the “rule of law” we’re being asked to cheer. "

"Democrats clearly believe constituents will forgive them for abandoning constitutional principles, so long as the targets of official inquiry are figures like Flynn or Paul Manafort or Trump himself. In the process, they’ve raised a generation of followers whose contempt for civil liberties is now genuine-to-permanent. Blue-staters have gone from dismissing constitutional concerns as Trumpian ruse to sneering at them, in the manner of French aristocrats, as evidence of proletarian mental defect."

"that makes it more urgent that we talk about what these rules will be, not less — yet the party I grew up supporting seems to have lost the ability to do so, and I don’t understand why. "

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/democrats-have-abandoned-civil-liberties

sidd