Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Media: Examples of Good AND Bad Journalism  (Read 269149 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
The Media: Examples of Good AND Bad Journalism
« on: March 06, 2018, 02:53:39 PM »
Since many people like to talk about "the Mainstream Media", and "Conservative Media", and "Fake News", and "other media" (like Jimmy Dore).   This thread is your opportunity to do so.  The focus on this thread is on how the media is covering RussiaGate:  Who is lying....who is blatantly biased (one way or the other)..... and who is doing a good job of covering RussiaGate.  In short....show examples of GOOD JOURNALISM and BAD JOURNALISM.

MSNBC, FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, RT, Jimmy Dore, etc.

To quote Neven....."have at it."

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:56:05 AM by Neven »
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
Re: RussiaGate And The Media: Examples of Good AND Bad Journalism
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 04:02:00 PM »
As some of you begin to post items to this thread....either examples of GOOD JOURNALISM or BAD..... I hope you all understand that psychology can play a big part in journalism, as well as "fake journalism."

Here is an example of "fake light".  It happens to be a very cool application....is what I would call a "good fake sunlight".  Now... I'm NOT saying that there are ANY examples of "good fake news" (I don't believe there are).  News is news....and is based on FACTS and TRUTH.

But if you watch the short video clip below..... let it remind you that your brain CAN be fooled by "fake news" (in EITHER direction.... "conservative" or "liberal").

We are bombarded by things in the media that are MEANT to change our "psychological view point" each and every day.  What items to buy....what candidate to support.... what policy is good or bad.

So when you watch ANY MEDIA....you should ALWAYS watch with a skeptical eye.... and ask yourself "who is BEHIND the media", and ARE THERE FACTS that support what the media piece is trying to push?

Media can serve a VALUABLE service to citizens of any country.  But only if it is TRUTHFUL.  And NEWS MEDIA (I believe) has a SPECIAL OBLIGATION to always LOOK FOR THE TRUTH.

So take a look at this short clip of a "sunny day".....and keep in mind that your mind CAN be fooled....and that there are forces out there that are trying to do so (whether they be political, or economic, or social).

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 04:05:24 PM »
Good thread.

Jimmy Dore is a fervent believer in Trump-Russia corruption (everybody does it), but he is bothered by all the dangerous stuff Russiagate brings with it, and all the stuff that isn't talked about in the media, like US meddling in other countries, meddling by other countries in the US besides Russia, meddling by US groups in the US.

That said, Dore occasionally makes factual mistakes and there can be flaws in his logic, and I'll report them when I see them. Nevertheless, he is strong when it comes to core issues and the systemic problems the US faces.

I don't have time to watch mainstream US media (I also don't own a TV), so I'd be very happy to see examples of bad journalism.

PS Can we post past examples of bad journalism wrt Russiagate, or only the stuff that happens from now on?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 04:08:35 PM »
and ask yourself "who is BEHIND the media"

Okay, who is behind US mainstream media outlets? Who owns them, and how does that affect their reporting?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1046
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 09:53:47 PM »
A friend, now passed, once remarked: "Don't bother changing the channel. They own all the channels"

Sinclair is big. And Wikipedia reports:

"In television, the vast majority of broadcast and basic cable networks, over a hundred in all, are controlled by eight corporations: 21st Century Fox (the Fox family of channels), The Walt Disney Company (which includes the ABC, ESPN and Disney brands), National Amusements (which includes CBS Corporation and Viacom), Comcast (which includes the NBC brands), Time Warner, Discovery Communications, E. W. Scripps Company, Cablevision, or some combination thereof."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_of_media_ownership

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
Chris Hayes (MSNBC).  Here is the clip...w/o commercials.  There are two important pieces to it:

1)  At 13:43 - 18:45 (5 minutes):  Discusses the new cooperating witness in the Mueller investigation (George Nader).  Pay special attention to the whole thing...but especially the last couple of minutes. 

Below is a paragraph from Mark Mazetti's article in the NY Times:

Mr. Nader represented the crown prince in the three-way conversation in the Seychelles, at a hotel overlooking in the Indian Ocean, in the days before Mr. Trump took office. At the meeting, Emirati officials believed Mr. Prince was speaking for the Trump transition team, and a Russian fund manager, Kirill Dmitriev, represented Mr. Putin, according to several people familiar with the meeting. Mr. Nader, who grew close later to several advisers in the Trump White House, had once worked as a consultant to Blackwater, a private security firm now known as Academi. Mr. Nader introduced his former employer to the Russian.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/06/us/politics/george-nader-special-counsel-mueller-cooperating-seychelles.html

And Chris wraps up what was going on at the time in Trump world... at 18:00 - 18:30.  Listen to that a couple of times... 

2)  At 18:30 - 24:20 (6 minutes):  Jane Mayer of the New Yorker...discusses her piece in the New Yorker about Christopher Steele and the so called dossier (note:  It isn't actually a dossier...it is a collection of pieces that Steele put together over time....in an attempt to see how they fit together).  Steele's conclusion was that the US election was under siege by the Russians.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:45:24 PM by Buddy »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 04:44:18 PM »
I liked the discussion towards the end (from 31:30 onwards) because it was about strategy. Especially the African-American lady said some sensible things.

How much time of total broadcasting time does Hayes spend on Russiagate?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 04:55:19 PM »

I have no idea.  I usually don't watch his show.

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 05:39:31 PM »
I liked the discussion towards the end (from 31:30 onwards) because it was about strategy. Especially the African-American lady said some sensible things.

It varies widely. If there are multiple breaking stories related to Trump, Hayes might spend the bulk of the broadcast on the current President's potential crimes. Other times, Russiagate may barely get a mention. Hayes (like Maddow) will often spend an hour doing just one or two long-form, deep dive pieces into, say, the Flint water crisis, or Chicago gun deaths, or racism, or Republican hatred of the ACA, or what have you. Other times there'll be major news that breaks during his show, and he has no choice but to cover it. But if you were asking for a current average, I'd say roughly 30% of his time is spent on what could be considered 'Russiagate": Trump's long history of corrupt practices, his long history with Russia, his love affair with brutal authoritarians, his profound ignorance of the Constitution, the sudden and recordbreaking departure of so many members of his staff, GOP attempts to thwart justice by painting the Steele reports as a Clinton invention (they weren't), Mueller's widening investigation, what is and is not likely to happen when all is said and done, the coming "Blue Wave" precipitated by increasing American anger toward Trump and the Trump GOP, and so on, and so on, and so on. He *doesn't* spend much time berating Putin for meddling; he acknowledges it, and says it's to be expected, and that our hands are not clean in that regard, and it would be hypocritical to pretend otherwise. But he *does* insist on getting to the ultimate truth: what did Trump know, and when did he know it.

Millions of us are asking those same questions.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 06:16:00 PM »
I often wonder why nobody here seems to watch https://www.democracynow.org/ Methinks this is THE channel for U.S. progressives -- "Russia" is only topic no. 12 on their list. :) Amy Goodman comes right next to Rachel Maddow on top my favorite U.S. journalists list.

Last major piece:
https://www.democracynow.org/2018/2/23/masha_gessen_did_a_russian_troll

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 09:04:22 PM »
I often wonder why nobody here seems to watch https://www.democracynow.org/ Methinks this is THE channel for U.S. progressives -- "Russia" is only topic no. 12 on their list. :) Amy Goodman comes right next to Rachel Maddow on top my favorite U.S. journalists list.

Last major piece:
https://www.democracynow.org/2018/2/23/masha_gessen_did_a_russian_troll

Yes, Amy Goodman is still awesome. I watch Democracy Now! occasionally when YouTube recommends it, or I'm looking for something and they come up in the search. But I've subscribed to them now, so will watch more often.

Thanks for the link to that video. It's one of the best things I've seen in recent weeks.

Edit: I watched the video with Masha Gessen on YouTube first, assuming it was the same as on the website, but there was more on the website, even better than the stuff on YouTube. Masha Gessen actually posits a similar argument to mine that Russiagate detracts from so many other discussions that could be had, while at the same time denouncing Putin. Amazing. Did you link to this stuff in the Russiagate thread? I can't believe I hadn't seen it.

I immediately donated $20.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 09:49:36 PM by Neven »
The enemy is within

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 12:13:01 AM »
Amy is often linked to from ZeroHedge, so I've caught more than a few of her shows. The Masha Gessen segments are particularly powerful because of Gessen's impeccable credentials a harsh critic of Putin, and Putin's Russia.

Some decades ago LBJ said something to the tune of, "Oh No! if we've lost Walter Cronkite, we've lost the whole country".
When Russiagate has lost as influential a Putin-Phobe as Masha Gessen, it may be time to draw up evacuation plans for the embassy.

Terry
edit - I'd bookmarked the Buff Bernie cartoon and an article from ZeroHedge about the same, but decided not to post it here. ZeroHedge being such a dangerous sight and all that.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 12:18:16 AM by TerryM »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 01:22:16 PM »
I happen to have ties to sources inside the top intelligence gathering group for Traitor Don's administration.  So I will post information from this source that Donnie gets his intelligence from... PLEASE don't share this....as this is a TOP SECRET SOURCE:

FOX and FRIENDS...March 08 LEAD topics, in order:

1)  Jeff Sessions cracking down on "Sanctuary State of California":  through 5:30
2)  DOJ and FBI Surveillance abuses :  Trey Goudy through...10:30
3)  Coverage of Trump by media is Negative:  through 11:27
     I wonder if that had anything to do with doing an absolutely awful job?  :o

For anyone tired of RussiaGate coverage.....THIS IS YOUR CHANNEL.  ABSOLUTELY ZERO.

I post this for those that don't watch much US media....and wonder HOW IN THE WORLD COULD SOMEONE THINK DONNIE IS DOING A GOOD JOB? 

This...is your answer.   It really is pretty awful.   I would be embarrassed to have any part of this if I were in the journalism business.   But this is what Donnie watches every day....so he can feel good about himself I guess.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 01:31:36 PM »
And...I have it from a good source of the guy in the oval office....that it is Russian collusion WITH HILLARY CLINTON that is the REAL STORY.  Boy....I feel like I've been duped.  That main stream media had it all wrong... it isn't Donnie, it is Hillary.  ;)

13 minute clip of Sean Hannity:

OK....all kidding aside.  Imagine if you were to actually LISTEN to this nonsense day in and day out.  After a while... you might even start to believe it.  And they do.  This is the brainwashing of Americans.

idunno

• Frazil ice
  • wonders are many
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7

Martin Gisser

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 03:10:46 PM »
This is, by far, the best thing I have read on Russiagate...

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n01/jackson-lears/what-we-dont-talk-about-when-we-talk-about-russian-hacking
Sorry, I find this one of the worst well-meaning pieces, judging from the beginning (and then I stopped).
For about a week after the election, pundits discussed the possibility of a more capacious Democratic strategy. It appeared that the party might learn something from Clinton’s defeat. Then everything changed.

A story that had circulated during the campaign without much effect resurfaced: it involved the charge that Russian operatives had hacked into the servers of the Democratic National Committee
1) He hasn't paid attention before the election.
2) Vastly oversimplifying. (Russian "meddling" was at least 3-pronged: Hack, trolls, mafia money. And there is the known unknown of direct contacts, if not kompromat.  (I will write a comment on Einstein's Scholium to Occam's Razor later elsewhere, incl. Hanlon's razor and my definition of "well-meaning".))

Example for 1) from the third presidential debate:

--------------------------
P.S.: Having observed Trump long enough now, in the video above he effectively tells "I am a Putin puppet, believe me". :) Of course, we're still waiting for direct proof.

Direct quotes can sometimes replace lots of journalistic brain wringing.

Edits/addenda done
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:58:55 PM by Martin Gisser »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 03:14:14 PM »
Sorry, I find this one of the worst well-meaning pieces, judging from the beginning (and then I stopped).

And the article is 2+ months old (January 4th).  I stopped too...

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 09:38:07 AM »
One of those issues that are indirectly linked to Russiagate that the corporate media simply refuses to discuss:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

idunno

• Frazil ice
  • wonders are many
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 04:17:00 PM »
Two more examples of good journalism, with the added bonus that the first one identifies and critiques some very bad journalism, both from Taibbi in Rolling Stone...

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/taibbi-russiagate-skeptics-take-a-beating-mueller-probe-w517006

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/taibbi-russiagate-trump-putin-mueller-and-targeting-dissent-w517486

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2018, 11:40:10 PM »
Cross post from Russiagate thread:
I wish I had seen this before I wrote all that (or perhaps I don't, since it needed saying), but I seem to have failed to properly describe the timeline, for which this is a direct source. If the link crosses "the Pond" the first 19 minutes of The New Yorker Radio Hour contains an audio interview of Jane Mayer by David Remnick (editor in chief): they are both easy to listen to and  describe the background without projection, covering pros and cons, sourcing and timeframe. I think this is much better than most of the material available. https://www.newyorker.com/podcast/the-new-yorker-radio-hour/christopher-steele-and-the-russian-dossier-and-a-north-korean-poet

It lacks the pushy affect that some dislike in Maddow, and is as close to original material as most of us will ever get. Please give it a listen if you want to know more about the context, background, and character of the Steele/Fusion investigation. Being audio is convenient for those busy with other things.

For quiet competence, it's hard to beat. It contains dates, and might clear up the confusion there.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Jim Pettit

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 08:17:48 PM »
Two more examples of good journalism, with the added bonus that the first one identifies and critiques some very bad journalism, both from Taibbi in Rolling Stone...

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/taibbi-russiagate-skeptics-take-a-beating-mueller-probe-w517006

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/taibbi-russiagate-trump-putin-mueller-and-targeting-dissent-w517486

I'd disagree with you here, and declare these two Taibbi pieces, plus the one linked to by Terry M, to be examples of bad journalism. A distillation of the three leads one to these inevitable conclusions:

1) "#Russiagate Skeptics Take a Beating": Democrats are upsetting both Trump supporters and Clinton haters by insisting that increasingly credible allegations of collusion, conspiracy, and treason by the former be investigated.

2) "The New Blacklist": Democrats are upsetting Putin supporters by insisting that increasingly credible allegations of collusion, conspiracy, and treason by Americans be investigated.

3) "Trump Is a Dangerous Idiot. So Why Are We Pushing Him Toward War?": If Trump starts World War III, it's only because Democrats keep insisting that increasingly credible allegations of collusion, conspiracy, and treason against him be investigated

Taibbi's bottom line: Leave Donnie alone!

Well, let me think about that one for awhile...

Martin Gisser

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 09:19:51 PM »

I'd disagree with you here, and declare these two Taibbi pieces, plus the one linked to by Terry M, to be examples of bad journalism.
Looks like. Taibbi is no amateur. Thus the sub-headline here:
#Russiagate Skeptics Take a Beating
We don't know for sure where the Mueller probe is going, but don't dare say that out loud
already disqualifies the piece from reading. I stopped at "Pearl Harbor", which he didn't attribute to anybody, and went on checking who said it.

Enough of Taibbi for me. Bad. (Judging from the sub-headline: Not even BS, but Bad Stupid.)

-------------------
P.S.: Wait. WE he writes in the sub-headline. Makes it even worse. Progressive hypocrisy with selective vision, the cancer of  the U.S. Left.
--> The sub-headline could be right out of a Faux News channel, just with WE replaced by THEY.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:59:30 PM by Martin Gisser »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 10:44:11 PM »

sidd

Martin Gisser

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »
Lewis Black, doing the "most exercise" thing he ever had, published on May 27, 2017

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 01:37:02 PM »
Speaking of bad journalism....and my buddy's at FOX:

https://thinkprogress.org/knives-out-rod-rosenstein-a64f6af36fb3/

Yes.... the subpoena must a GOOD SIGN for Donnie.  Now click your heels together and go back to Kansas... ;)

Further down in the article linked above.....Hugh Hewitt (one of my favorite far right conservative HACKS)....notes the following:

Hugh Hewitt, a conservative pundit with close ties to the administration, also used the New York Times report as a way to attack Rosenstein and suggest Trump should fire Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

So if, in the course of investigating links between the Russian government and the Trump campaign, Mueller discovered an issue related to the Trump Organization, he’d have the authority to investigate that. Further, a provision of the special counsel law, 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(b), allows Mueller to bring matters beyond his original jurisdiction to Rosenstein and get permission to pursue them. It’s unclear if that was necessary in this case, but if it happened, it doesn’t mean Rosenstein did anything wrong. He would be acting in a manner totally consistent with the statute.

Trump, however, has said that any investigation into his business activities by Mueller would cross a “red line.”

Hugh Hewitt, a conservative pundit with close ties to the administration, also used the New York Times report as a way to attack Rosenstein and suggest Trump should fire Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

The following was a Hugh Hewitt tweet:

I support retaining, giving SC Mueller all he needs. But DAG Rosenstein owes public a status report on where this is going. And if refuses that does give @realDonaldTrump an argument why he needs a new AG to at least brief public much of which skeptical.

Why MSNBC ever hired him is beyond me.  He is like hiring a lobbyist for the far right.  He is pathetic....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:45:46 PM by Buddy »

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 06:53:02 PM »
Hugh Hewitt.....Why MSNBC ever hired him is beyond me.  He is like hiring a lobbyist for the far right.  He is pathetic....
  The people in white hats show up better, against a black background.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 10:09:36 PM »
Why MSNBC ever hired him is beyond me.  He is like hiring a lobbyist for the far right.  He is pathetic....

Ratings. And spreading the Fox message, so that no one thinks twice about supporting the real left.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 10:30:09 PM »
Another good example of bad journalism at MSNBC (indirectly related to Russiagate):

The enemy is within

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 10:40:40 PM »
Assange was my hero long before he turned on Hillary.

He's still my hero.  8)

Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 11:19:41 PM »
Assange did some fantastic stuff, but he has a big ego and he made a mistake supporting Trump so openly during the elections. I understand why he did it, he wants to get out of his prison, but IMO it undermined trust in Wikileaks.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 11:33:16 PM »
Assange did some fantastic stuff, but he has a big ego and he made a mistake supporting Trump so openly during the elections. I understand why he did it, he wants to get out of his prison, but IMO it undermined trust in Wikileaks.
Was he Pro-Trump or Anti-Clinton?

There is a difference.
Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 12:56:06 PM »
Journalism at its best:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

Hefaistos

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2018, 09:48:19 PM »
Journalism at its best:

Indeed.
The part of Russiagate that is about trolling, bots, etc., is in reality Cambridge Analytica-gate, or Mercer/Bannon-gate.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2018, 11:18:50 PM »
Perhaps it's a question of who has the better bots? :P
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 04:38:17 PM »
Fox News analyst quits after finally realizing it's a 'propaganda machine'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-analyst-quits-finally-231153791.html

Glad to see someone call them out.  Again.... it will be interesting to see what happens to Sheppard Smith starting next week.

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2018, 05:36:21 PM »
Fox News analyst quits after finally realizing it's a 'propaganda machine'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-analyst-quits-finally-231153791.html
In truth, fake FOX NUUS was brought into existence to eliminate the causes leading to Richard Nixon's resignation as President. Their recent mission is to divert from the treasonous russian footsie actions of "don'T rump" (plus his inhumanity), so "don'T rump" doesn't get impeached.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2018, 09:01:18 PM »
Workshop: Robot Journalism – Should we be afraid?

"Robot “journalism” is already the reality in many newsrooms churning out content faster than we can consume."

"But how much do we know about these robots behind the news? Are they friends or foes of journalists?" or of humanity?

Robots are a tolls, result depends on who controls them. Oy Vey.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2018, 04:01:59 AM »
After watching ~1/2 hour of what now passes for "news" in the States I'm ready to try any alternative.
If R2D2 wants to try his hand at writing script for C3PO to deliver, it would at least be different than the kindergarten groupies who now preach to their numbed and dumbed down congregants.

There was a study decades back that showed that watching FAUX NEWS actually lowered your understanding of world events, and that the more you watched, the less you knew. The other channels must have read the report, noted FAUX viewership, and decided that this was the way forward. The results are astonishing, an insult to anyone not inured to the fantasy.

Many years ago I was recovering from total paralysis, but appreciated getting out when I could. I hobbled, I slobbered, I couldn't speak well. I ventured into a convenience store to purchase something and had an unfamiliar clerk help me count my change.

"You gave me two one dollar bills. Your drink was One dollar and fifty nine cents. I'm giving you one quarter, that's twenty five cents, one dime which is another ten cents, one nickel, or five cents and one more penny."
 "If we take the one dollar and fifty nine cent drink and add one penny we'll have one dollar and 60 cents, then if we add a nickle we get one dollar and sixty five cents. Another ten cents with this dime, then twenty five cents more and we're right back to the two dollars you gave me. Understand"
All this with an elaborate mime of exchanging moneys.

I grunted and slunk out of the door.

The emotions I felt were not too far removed from those experienced while flipping slowly through the American "News" Channels. Do they really believe their viewership is that stupid?

Could they actually be correct?
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2018, 07:21:18 PM »
Sinclair Broadcasting is basically the LOCAL communications arm of the Republican party:

Watch Sinclair Broadcast Group News Anchors Parrot Their Bosses’ Opinions in Perfect, Deafening Unison

https://slate.com/culture/2018/04/watch-sinclair-broadcast-group-local-news-anchors-parrot-their-bosses-opinions-in-perfect-deafening-unison.html

Sinclair and FOX are basically the same as Russia Today (RT) in Russia.  They are the mouthpiece of Trump.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2018, 09:27:21 PM »
Sinclair Broadcasting is basically the LOCAL communications arm of the Republican party:

Watch Sinclair Broadcast Group News Anchors Parrot Their Bosses’ Opinions in Perfect, Deafening Unison

https://slate.com/culture/2018/04/watch-sinclair-broadcast-group-local-news-anchors-parrot-their-bosses-opinions-in-perfect-deafening-unison.html

Sinclair and FOX are basically the same as Russia Today (RT) in Russia.  They are the mouthpiece of Trump.

Sinclair and Fox may be peas in a pod, but RT has been improving it's journalism ever since it came under fire. In the recent flap about Corbyn's cap, we can be absolutely sure that RT didn't Photoshop the hat, because if they had they would lose their broadcasting license.
On an interesting side note RT won't be seen in DC any more as their channel was sold out from under them. Still available on the internet at this moment, but with net neutrality possibly a thing of the past, viewing speeds may differ.
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2018, 03:26:00 PM »
Here are two video clips.  The first link is a John Oliver piece.  Oliver's video is the SECOND video clip in the linked article.  Oliver was a protégé of Jon Stewart.... and they BOTH do their homework.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/john-oliver-sinclair-broadcasting-forcing-newscasters-anti-media-propaganda-scripts-video-1202356711/

The second link is a montage of a "must air" segment that Sinclair REQUIRED their owned local stations to air (WORD FOR WORD).  I encourage you to watch the John Oliver segment above....he does a great job.  But also watch this montage...

The montage was put together by those MOCKING the Sinclair statement that ALL of the Sinclair stations HAD TO READ.

Again.... Sinclair and FOX are serving much as RT does in Russia.  Of course....RT is even worse (at least for now).  RT receives FINANCIAL BACKING FROM THE RUSSIAN GOVERNMENT AND UNCLE VLADI.   If the current acquisition of Tribune Broadcasting goes through (which is almost assured by Traitor Don)..... Sinclair will own more than 200 local news stations across the country.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:37:27 PM by Buddy »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2018, 09:17:39 PM »
I posted two messages in another thread

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1974.msg148396.html

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1974.msg148420.html

about the loss of control of the narrative by the traditional media monopolies. I think that discussion fits better here.

Fake news was perfectly fine as long as the rulers controlled the fakery. But now anyone can fake news. So the question becomes, as the atheist said to the evangelist: "Why should I believe in your fake deity, as contrasted with all the other believers in different fake deities ? Much easier to disbelieve in all, and more logically consistent. "

They have lost monopoly of lies. So sad.

sidd

johnm33

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2018, 11:36:05 AM »
I assume, in the likelyhood of he who pays the piper calls the tune, that every 'news' outlet needs the same treatment here meted out to the BBC, https://markdoran.wordpress.com/2018/03/15/sneer-and-smear/

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2018, 04:27:25 PM »
sidd
I wonder if the goal isn't often to muddy the water until we simply believe nothing we read.
What was actually in those DNC e-mails - or does the story end with debate on how they were obtained?

john
Has everyone lost their cap key? 8)

The anti-Putin propaganda has reached a height that has always, in my experience, lead to war.
People march against Trump, against guns or against the cops.

WHERE ARE THE PEACE PROTESTERS!

Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2018, 04:31:39 AM »
It looks like Trump has ordered Homeland Security to monitor Journalists and Bloggers (like everyone here) so that he can pressure whoever he wants, whenever he wants:

Title: "Homeland Security to Compile Database of Journalists, Bloggers"

https://biglawbusiness.com/homeland-security-to-compile-database-of-journalists-bloggers/

Extract: "The U.S. Department of Homeland Security wants to monitor hundreds of thousands of news sources around the world and compile a database of journalists, editors, foreign correspondents, and bloggers to identify top “media influencers.”

It’s seeking a contractor that can help it monitor traditional news sources as well as social media and identify “any and all” coverage related to the agency or a particular event, according to a request for information released April 3.

The data to be collected includes a publication’s “sentiment” as well as geographical spread, top posters, languages, momentum, and circulation. No value for the contract was disclosed."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2018, 07:03:57 AM »
America's finest news source beats on Maddow:

"Enraged to the point that she was no longer able to form words .."

"At press time, MSNBC sources confirmed that Maddow’s ratings had reached an all-time high."

https://www.theonion.com/fuming-rachel-maddow-spends-entire-show-just-pointing-w-1825017260

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2018, 12:53:48 PM »
Jimmy Dore discusses it too, but watch Michael Moore at the start of the video:

Where would Maddow be without Russiagate?
The enemy is within

E. Smith