Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Media: Examples of Good AND Bad Journalism  (Read 270525 times)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: The Media: Examples of Good AND Bad Journalism
« Reply #700 on: November 30, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
Of course, it's Trump's love affair with Saudi Arabia. When the next Democratic president comes along and sells bombs and rockets to SA for billions of dollars, it will all be great again.

I wanted to say 'Hear no evil, see no evil', but it's actually 'Only hear half of evil, only see half of evil', which is exactly how the system stays hidden and doesn't have to change. Doing the same thing, over and over again, for thousands of years, until everything is f**ed.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #701 on: December 01, 2018, 04:08:41 AM »
But I have a default position as a possible out here - whatever Rob stays is true I will believe the opposite. I always put my money on consistency! :)

OK. I don't believe we have been introduced yet.
Hi. My name is Rob.
What's your name ?
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Red

« Reply #702 on: December 01, 2018, 11:58:21 AM »
Though it cannot be verified, the odds are that the illusion of informational choice is more pervasive in the United States than anywhere else in the world. The illusion is sustained by a willingness, deliberately maintained by information controllers, to mistake abundance of media for diversity of content. It is easy to believe that a nation that has more than 6.700 commercial radio stations [1975], in excess of 700 commercial TV stations, 1,500 daily newspapers, hundreds of periodicals, a film industry that produces a couple of hundred new features a year, and a billion-dollar private book-publishing industry provides a rich variety of information and entertainment to its people.

The fact of the matter is that, except for a rather small and highly selective segment of the population who know what they are looking for and can therefore take advantage of the massive communications flow, most Americans are basically, though unconsciously, trapped in what amounts to a no-choice informational bind. True variety of opinion, as opposed to superficial differences, on foreign and domestic news or, for that matter, local community business, hardly exists in the media. This results essentially from the inherent identity of interests, material and, ideological, of property-holders (in this case, the private owners of the communications media), and from the monopolistic character of the communications industry in general.

[snip]
THE BIG MEDIA HOAX
What the American media offer is not a well-informed diversity of views by a long shot, but brute quantity, “numerosity”, groupthink, and a tedious and dangerous repetition of the same official viewpoint, always designed to bolster the status quo. To aggravate matters, the American media are well known for their tendency to travel in packs, the trademark of groupthink, and, at any moment to carpet bomb the American mind with any propaganda line, no matter how silly, outrageous and lacking in evidence, ordered by their wealthy owners or hidden intelligence and military agency controllers. The current unrelenting Russiagate campaign and hysterical demonisation of any enemy of Washington’s global supremacist project, is a case in point. It is but the latest of numerous efforts to control the national and global narrative regardless of costs to the general population at home or billions of people outside America’s frontiers.
https://www.greanvillepost.com/2018/11/30/so-much-for-diversity-of-media-message-in-america/

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #703 on: December 01, 2018, 12:03:19 PM »
But I have a default position as a possible out here - whatever Rob stays is true I will believe the opposite. I always put my money on consistency! :)

Hi. My name is Rob.
What's your name ?

His name is obviously boR.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Red

« Reply #704 on: December 01, 2018, 12:05:44 PM »
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Tuesday dismissed the findings of a government report that warned of the impending consequences of climate change, claiming it's "not based on facts."

“The president’s certainly leading on what matters most in this process, and that’s on having clean air, clean water,” Sanders told reporters at a press briefing. “In fact, the United States continues to be a leader on that front.”
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/418502-sarah-sanders-calls-climate-change-report-most-extreme-version-not?fbclid=IwAR2PgK5OaYM2h4CYeNL2FrNKEvlqWpP_FvAzshmd5er-Dwf_zDXCEC_OxXU#.XAFKSAHryQk.facebook

ASILurker

« Reply #705 on: December 03, 2018, 07:03:51 AM »
First coming to public attention during the Vietnam War protest period Noam Chomsky has not been  interviewed nor referenced by the NYTs since the 1970s. That surely says something about their standards of Journalism and their Values.

Chomsky & Krauss: An Origins Project Dialogue 2015

Part 2

Lurk369:Best of Bookmarks
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:18:06 AM by Lurk »

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #706 on: December 03, 2018, 09:02:25 AM »

Hi. My name is Rob.
What's your name ?

His name is obviously boR.

I will name him Krul (Dutch for "curl").

This matches very nicely with the twisted/opposite reality he wants to believe.
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Red

« Reply #707 on: December 03, 2018, 12:38:17 PM »

This way of ‘making’ the news is not limited to the Guardian, and it’s not limited to its coverage of WikiLeaks. We must ask ourselves every step of the way if we can still call this sort of thing ‘news’, ‘coverage’ and ‘reporting’. Let’s hope both WikiLeaks and Paul Manafort sue the paper, but apparently they’ll need a lot of money to do it. An additional layer of protection for fake news.

The Guardian is not just after Assange, and it’s not just Luke Harding writing hit pieces. Here are the paper’s editors on November 30. The fallout of the Manafort/Assange piece has made them sort of careful in that they say: “what we say is probably not true, but imagine if it were! Wouldn’t that be terrible?!”
                                             ---------------------------------
America’s Compromised Leader (Guardian Op-Ed)

Earlier this week Donald Trump stood on the south lawn of the White House and ridiculed Theresa May’s Brexit agreement as a “great deal for the EU”. He is likely to make the same contemptuous case during the G20 summit in Argentina this weekend, although pointedly there is no planned bilateral. Given the political stakes facing her back home, Mrs May must feel as if 14,000 miles is a long way to travel for the weekend merely to be trashed by supposedly her greatest ally. When this happens, though, who does Mrs May imagine is confronting her? Is it just Mr Trump himself, America First president, sworn enemy of the international order in general and the European Union in particular?

That’s a bad enough reality. But might her accuser also be, at some level, Vladimir Putin, a leader whose interest in weakening the EU and breaking Britain from it as damagingly as possible outdoes even that of Mr Trump?

That prospect is even worse. Such speculation would normally seem, and still probably is, a step too far. The idea that a US president is in any way doing the Kremlin’s business as well as his own is the stuff of spy thrillers and of John le Carré TV adaptations. Yet the icy fact is that the conspiracy theory may now also contain an element of truth.

[..] Days before he took office in 2017, Mr Trump said that “the closest I came to Russia” was in selling a Florida property to a Russian oligarch in 2008. If Mr Cohen’s statement is true, Mr Trump was telling his country a lie. What is more, the Russians knew it. Potentially, that raises issues of US national security. If Mr Putin knew that Mr Trump was concealing information about his Russian business interests, this could give Moscow leverage over the US leader. Mr Trump might feel constrained to praise Mr Putin or to avoid conflicts with Russia over policy. All this may indeed be very far-fetched. Yet Russia’s activities in the 2016 election against Hillary Clinton and in favour of Mr Trump are not fiction.

They prompted the setting up of the Mueller inquiry into links between the Russian government and the Trump campaign. Another document this week suggests a longtime Trump adviser, Roger Stone, may have sought information about WikiLeaks plans to release hacked Democratic party emails in 2016. There is nothing in the documents released this week that proves that Mr Trump conspired with Russian efforts to win him the presidency.

Yet those efforts were real. For two years, Mr Trump has gone to unprecedented lengths to attack the special counsel. After November’s midterms, he seemed on the verge of firing Mr Mueller. He may yet do so. But this week’s charges suggest that there is plenty more still to be revealed. Mr Trump still has questions to answer from the investigating authorities, from the new Congress – and from America’s long-suffering allies.
                                          ------------------------------------------
You see what they do, and how they do it? Big statement, and then say it’s probably not true. Post Manafort/Assange disaster piece, their lawyers have provided a way to legally make outrageous claims. It’s still smear, and it’s still slander, but they’ve already covered their asses by saying it’s probably a step too far. Still managed to say it though… And hey, what’s not to like about the phrase “..America’s long-suffering allies”?

Also on November 30, the Guardian ran the following piece. Note the headline. And realize there never was a deal. Which the article acknowledges of course. Just not in the headline.

https://www.theautomaticearth.com/2018/12/smear-slander-rinse-and-repeat/

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #708 on: December 03, 2018, 02:07:36 PM »
For years, the Guardian website, or actually it's Environment section, used to be the first thing I saw every time I opened a new browser window or tab. I recently found out that they dumped Dana Nuccitelli and John Abraham as (unpaid) columnists for the Environment. All they have left now, is an occasional Monbiot column. That's it. The Guardian is dead.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #709 on: December 04, 2018, 03:09:31 AM »
The noose further tightens as another witness refutes The Guardian's excursion into fiction. The UK fortunately has very strong laws against libel. Could Assange end up owning a slice of the venerable but suddenly vulnerable newspaper after the trial/settlement?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-03/top-ecuadorian-diplomat-london-embassy-destroys-guardians-claim-paul-manafort

Perhaps the "fake news" pandemic could be brought to a screeching halt if libel laws around the world were strictly enforced?
Terry

magnamentis

« Reply #710 on: December 04, 2018, 03:52:13 AM »

Perhaps the "fake news" pandemic could be brought to a screeching halt if libel laws around the world were strictly enforced?

as long as they can tell (ask) whether someone is a whatever they like by simply adding a question mark to make it a legal there's no way.

making false statements or asking question that damage the reputation of those who ask express unpopular opinion or ask unpopular questens should be treated (sentenced) like false testimonies and perjury in court.

a businessman who makes some money with  false and/or misleading statements goes to jail for fraud, sine newspapers make money with news it's nothing but fraud to discredit people without proof by asking the right questions.

Red

« Reply #711 on: December 04, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
Every so often I like to write an article describing exactly what I’m about in the interests of transparency, and for the benefit of any new followers who aren’t quite sure what they’re looking at here. It’s a good exercise for me because it allows me to clarify for myself exactly why I got into this gig and what specifically I’m trying to get out of it, and it lays all my intentions on the table so readers can decide if I’m their cup of tea or not.

Brief bio: I am Australian, lived in Melbourne nearly all of my life, two kids, twice married and once divorced. I got a journalism degree in 2003 but figured out long before completing the course that the media deck is stacked so far against truth that I wouldn’t be able to do the kind of work I wanted to do, so I did some environmental activism while paying the bills with corporate work. I had a bunch of transformative personal experiences during that time period, then in 2016 I got a job at a self-publishing news outlet where I quickly gained an audience for my opinion articles about the Bernie Sanders movement (which arose from a commentary void I’d noticed needed filling while I was participating in Bernie Facebook groups). In 2017 I got a Patreon account and became a fully crowd-funded writer who is answerable to no one, a privileged position I exploit to its fullest in saying things I think need to be said regardless of the taboos against saying them.

https://www.greanvillepost.com/2018/12/02/who-i-am-where-i-stand-and-what-im-trying-to-do-here/

ASILurker

« Reply #712 on: December 05, 2018, 12:43:11 AM »
The Guardian’s Vilification of Julian Assange
December 3, 2018
By Jonathon Cook (ex-Guardian Journalist) via Consortium News website

Extracts:
The Guardian did not make a mistake in vilifying Assange without a shred of evidence. It did what it is designed to do.

The propaganda function of the piece is patent. It is intended to provide evidence for long-standing allegations that Assange conspired with Trump, and Trump’s supposed backers in the Kremlin, to damage Hillary Clinton during the 2016 presidential race.

The emotional impact of The Guardian is to suggest that Assange is responsible for four years or more of Trump rule. But more significantly, it bolsters the otherwise risible claim that Assange is not a publisher – and thereby entitled to the protections of a free press, as enjoyed by The Guardian or The New York Times – but the head of an organization engaged in espionage for a foreign power.

The intention is to deeply discredit Assange
, and by extension the Wikileaks organization, in the eyes of right-thinking liberals. That, in turn, will make it much easier to silence Assange and the vital cause he represents:

It will soften opposition when the UK moves to arrest Assange on self-serving bail violation charges and extradites him to the US. And it will pave the way for the US legal system to lock Assange up for a very long time.

Even when a United Nations panel of experts in international law ruled in 2016 that Assange was being arbitrarily – and unlawfully – detained by the UK, Guardian writers led efforts to discredit the UN report.

Now Assange and his supporters have been proved right once again. An administrative error this month revealed that the US justice department had secretly filed criminal charges against Assange.

The idea that Manafort or “Russians” could have wandered into the embassy to meet Assange even once without their trail, entry and meeting being intimately scrutinized and recorded is simply preposterous.
---

The truth is The Guardian has not erred in this latest story attacking Assange, or in its much longer-running campaign to vilify him. With this story, it has done what it regularly does when supposedly vital western foreign policy interests are at stake – it simply regurgitates an elite-serving, western narrative.

Its job is to shore up a consensus on the left for attacks on leading threats to the existing, neoliberal order: whether they are a platform like WikiLeaks promoting whistle-blowing against a corrupt western elite; or a politician like Corbyn seeking to break apart the status quo on the rapacious financial industries or Israel-Palestine; ... The Guardian did not make a mistake in vilifying Assange without a shred of evidence. It did what it is designed to do.

https://consortiumnews.com/2018/12/03/the-guardians-vilification-of-julian-assange/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 03:11:27 AM by Lurk »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #713 on: December 05, 2018, 02:18:46 AM »
Eucadorian footsoldier of Monroe doctrine revealed as coauthor of Guardian story on Assange-Manafort

--
    Video: Guardian mysteriously hid third author of fabricated front page story "Manafort Held Secret Meetings With Assange" -- as revealed by direct digital archive library. Compare to the Guardian's online version the world saw. Villavicencio background:.https://t.co/KX80IrScyl pic.twitter.com/k6X4cHM6FB

— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) December 3, 2018

Vos: The Guardian’s Reputation In Tatters After Forger Revealed To Have Co-Authored Assange Smear https://t.co/S3cC3VbqNw

— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) December 4, 2018

--

Long read on Monroe enforcers and related matters:

https://jimmysllama.com/2018/06/07/11347/

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 05, 2018, 02:21:00 AM »
Which journalists are not on the take might be an easier question than which ones are: FusionGPS paid journalists

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fusion-gps-paid-journalists-court-papers-confirm

Mighty Wurlitzer has been privatized.

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 05, 2018, 04:48:41 AM »
sidd
The 3 links you posted above are must reads for anyone trying to understand much of what's been written in the MSM over the last few years. I'd advise reading the jimmysllama piece first to get a better feeling for some of the people and organizations involved.
With The Guardian's cover being blown will the spooks back off, or will they increase the load to their American newspapers?
Terry

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 05, 2018, 08:18:52 AM »
Re: Guardian, Harding article

I think Harding got sucked in over the last couple years. He didn't do his homework, relied on official sources, didn't see he was being played. In the latest debacle, we see Villavicencio exposed with merely cursory search.

More difficult is the issue of Guardian editorial scrutiny apparently nonexistent.

sidd

Red

« Reply #717 on: December 05, 2018, 07:20:21 PM »
Whoever controls the narrative controls the world. The unelected power establishment which rules over us depends on narrative control in order to rule, and if people do not trust the plutocrat-owned talking heads who are telling them what narratives to believe, there can be no control. In France we’ve been seeing uncontrollable protesters from across the political spectrum writing “We’ve chopped off heads for less than this” in graffiti on the Arc de Triomphe, which you may be certain has widened plutocratic eyes all around the world.

“The Yellow Vests will Triumph”—graffiti on Paris Arc de Triomphe. Beginning to scare the burgos, and their crimes and abuses cannot be put back in the box that easily and more repression may not work—and then what?
And that, I believe, is why the mass media has been behaving so strangely. For two years they have been reaching and leaning all over the place trying to regain control of the narrative like a novice ice skater trying to regain balance, and they are only getting closer to falling. Which probably makes the present moment the perfect time to give them a good shove. Spread truth about the mass media’s deceptions like the Guardian‘s psyop against WikiLeaks, wake people up to what they’re trying to accomplish by herding people into partisan echo chambers, arresting Assange, censoring the internet, and marginalizing alternative media which provides dissident narratives.

The only thing keeping the many from rising like lions against the few to create a new world which benefits everyone is the establishment propaganda machine, and right now it is wildly off balance. Shove hard, and don’t stop shoving until it falls.

https://www.greanvillepost.com/2018/12/05/msm-is-getting-weirder-more-frantic-and-more-desperate-by-the-day/

https://www.greanvillepost.com/2018/12/04/politico-caught-running-cia-propaganda-about-assange/

Red

« Reply #718 on: December 09, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »
https://www.minds.com

I have yet to explore this network. You have to sign up for access, however when I heard that crackbook wouldn't allow its users,(in the usa at least I don't use facebook), to post this site I had to go see. This maybe something with merit for budding or experienced journalists that have been blacklisted.
The crypto social network
We are an open source and decentralized platform for Internet freedom. Get paid in crypto for your contributions to the community.
Our core principles

Nonpartisan (r)evolution of ideas and global consciousness

Real world solutions with free speech, co-ownership and open discourse

The following is the opening for their terms and conditions.

We (the people who work at Minds) create free and open source software and run the Minds.com social network. We would love for you to use it and help us evolve this document in the direction that best supports and protects Minds and its community. Public commentary and peer-review is encouraged via the Help & Support Group and also on Github. The Minds basic service of creating a channel or launching a site on Minds.com is free. We also offer paid upgrades for advanced features and other commercial services.

Minds software and services are designed to give you as much control and ownership over your social experience as possible and to encourage you to express yourself freely. However, be responsible in what you publish. In particular, make sure that none of the prohibited items listed below appear on your channel or get linked to/from your channel (things like spam, malware, viruses, or illegal content or serious threats of violence.)

If you find content that is objectionable, then Unsubscribe, Mute, Block, Report or just swipe on by. Minds is an open, free and public commons where users respect the right to use free speech. Of course, you may find a violation of these Terms of Service as you traverse Minds, in which case please Report the channel from the Settings cog on the channel profile or by email to info@minds.com.

(Note, we’ve decided to make the below Terms of Service available under a Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike license, as Wordpress provided for us, which means you’re more than welcome to repurpose it for your own use. Just make sure to replace references to us with ones to you, and give an attribution link to Minds.com somewhere on your website.)

Minds software and services are owned and operated by Minds, Inc. (“Minds”, “we” or “us”). Our software and services are offered subject to your acceptance without modification of these Terms of Service and all other operating rules, policies (including our Privacy Policy) and procedures that may be published from time to time on this site by Minds, as well as the Terms of Sale of Minds Tokens (available at https://www.minds.com/token) (collectively, these “Terms”). We may, from time to time, change or upgrade the Services (defined below), in whole or in part. You acknowledge that these Terms will apply to any such changes or upgrades.

These Terms govern your access to and use of Minds Tokens in connection with the Minds social network, including https://www.minds.com, www.minds.org, and all other network sites under the Minds domain (“Minds Network”), the Minds Network, and Minds mobile applications and any other online services (collectively, the “Services”) provided by us or our legal affiliates, including any content, functionality, features and applications offered on or through the Services to you as a guest or registered user of the Services (each, a “User”).

Please read these Terms carefully before you start to use our Services. By using any of the Services, you accept these Terms, which means that you are entering a legally binding contract with us. If you do not accept these Terms, or if you violate these Terms in any way, you are not authorized to access or use the Services, and your Minds Tokens will be forfeited.

You understand that we may change these Terms from time to time in our sole discretion and in accordance with Section 21 below. It is your responsibility to periodically check these Terms posted so that you are aware of any changes, as they are binding on you.

1. Your Minds Username and Channel

Privacy and transparency with encryption and open source software

Red

« Reply #719 on: December 09, 2018, 11:34:10 AM »
The following is from Forbes, I checked the "list" on propornot and they aren't on it so this must be sound.

Those who see climate change as a dire and urgent threat have some work to do to convince voters in the Western democracies to give up their way of life in exchange for unspecified benefits of a slightly less warm world—and that’s assuming China, India and over a billion people in Africa can be convinced not to try to pull themselves out of poverty—something that may only be done with greater use of fossil fuels.

Thus, one well-worn tactic employed by those who would presume to tell the rest of us how to live, where to live, and how to work—all of the good of the planet, of course—is the alarmist study, making copious use of lies of omission and commission.

An example of the former can be seen in the new National Climate Assessment. The report’s first chapter lists recent natural disasters, citing this summer’s deadly Carr Fire in California as an example. But while the report seeks to link wildfire to climate change, it glosses over the real reason fires have grown in intensity and size: the 30 years of increased environmental restrictions on logging, brush clearance and preventive burns that caused a massive and dangerous fuel buildup—a problem that was predicted years ago and has nothing to do with global warming.

The sin of commission in the service of scaring middle class voters into doing that they’re supposed to can be seen in an economic modeling study paid for by our federal tax dollars as well as underwritten by two billionaires who would be president: Tom Steyer and Michael Bloomberg. Here we’re told that the U.S. economy will take a 10% hit by 2100 unless we reduce our carbon emissions. Two problems, though: the authors assume the worst-case and least likely scenario, with average temperatures more than 14 degrees Fahrenheit hotter by 2100; and they derive two-thirds of their economic losses estimate by claiming a large amount of premature deaths due to the hotter temperatures.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2018/12/07/paris-is-burning-over-climate-change-taxes-is-america-next/amp/

Red

« Reply #720 on: December 09, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »
A good example, of this Big-Brother operation, is America’s Politifact, the online site which is at America’s crossover where ‘news’ and ‘history’ meet one-another. It’s controlled by billionaires such as the one who founded Craigslist. Millions of Americans go to Politifact in order to determine what is true and what is false that is being widely published about current events. The present writer sometimes links to their articles, where I have independently verified that there are no misrepresentations in an article. But, like the ‘news’-media that it judges, Politifact is also a propaganda-agency for the (U.S.-Saud-Israeli) Deep State, and so it deceives on the most critically important international matters. An example of this occurred right after the U.S. regime had overthrown in February 2014 in a bloody coup the democratically elected Government of Ukraine, and replaced it by a rabidly anti-Russian racist fascist or nazi Government on Russia’s doorstep, a regime that was selected by the rabidly anti-Russian (but lying that it wasn’t) Obama regime. This Politifact article was dated 31 March 2014, right after over 90% of Crimeans had just voted in a referendum, to rejoin Russia, and to depart from Ukraine, which the Soviet dictator had transferred them to, separating them from Russia, in 1954. (None of that history of the matter was even mentioned by Politifact.) The Politifact article was titled “Viral meme says United States has ‘invaded’ 22 countries in the past 20 years”, and it was designed to deceive readers into believing that “Russia’s recent annexation of Crimea” reflected the real instance of “invasion” that Americans should be outraged against — to deflect away from America’s recent history as being the world’s actual invasion-nation. This propaganda-article said nothing at all about either Crimea or Ukraine except in its opening line: “A Facebook meme argues that Americans are pretty two-faced when it comes to Russia’s recent annexation of Crimea.” It then proceeded to document that the exact number of American invasions during the prior 20 years wasn’t 22, and so Politifact declared the allegation “false” (as if the exact number were really the entire issue or even the main one, and as if America’s scandalous recent history of invasions were not).

So, it’s on account of such drowning-in-propaganda, that the U.S. public not only respect what U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower derogatorily called the “military-industrial complex,” but respect it above even the U.S. Presidency itself, and above all other U.S. institutions (as Gallup’s constant polling demonstrates to be the case).

https://www.greanvillepost.com/2018/12/08/how-big-brother-grips-americans-minds-to-support-invasions/

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: December 09, 2018, 02:50:05 PM »
A good example, of this Big-Brother operation, is America’s Politifact, the online site which is at America’s crossover where ‘news’ and ‘history’ meet one-another. It’s controlled by billionaires such as the one who founded Craigslist. Millions of Americans go to Politifact in order to determine what is true and what is false that is being widely published about current events. The present writer sometimes links to their articles, where I have independently verified that there are no misrepresentations in an article. But, like the ‘news’-media that it judges, Politifact is also a propaganda-agency for the (U.S.-Saud-Israeli) Deep State, and so it deceives on the most critically important international matters. An example of this occurred right after the U.S. regime had overthrown in February 2014 in a bloody coup the democratically elected Government of Ukraine, and replaced it by a rabidly anti-Russian racist fascist or nazi Government on Russia’s doorstep, a regime that was selected by the rabidly anti-Russian (but lying that it wasn’t) Obama regime. This Politifact article was dated 31 March 2014, right after over 90% of Crimeans had just voted in a referendum, to rejoin Russia, and to depart from Ukraine, which the Soviet dictator had transferred them to, separating them from Russia, in 1954. (None of that history of the matter was even mentioned by Politifact.) The Politifact article was titled “Viral meme says United States has ‘invaded’ 22 countries in the past 20 years”, and it was designed to deceive readers into believing that “Russia’s recent annexation of Crimea” reflected the real instance of “invasion” that Americans should be outraged against — to deflect away from America’s recent history as being the world’s actual invasion-nation. This propaganda-article said nothing at all about either Crimea or Ukraine except in its opening line: “A Facebook meme argues that Americans are pretty two-faced when it comes to Russia’s recent annexation of Crimea.” It then proceeded to document that the exact number of American invasions during the prior 20 years wasn’t 22, and so Politifact declared the allegation “false” (as if the exact number were really the entire issue or even the main one, and as if America’s scandalous recent history of invasions were not).

So, it’s on account of such drowning-in-propaganda, that the U.S. public not only respect what U.S. President Dwight Eisenhower derogatorily called the “military-industrial complex,” but respect it above even the U.S. Presidency itself, and above all other U.S. institutions (as Gallup’s constant polling demonstrates to be the case).

https://www.greanvillepost.com/2018/12/08/how-big-brother-grips-americans-minds-to-support-invasions/

A small quibble perhaps, but:

The people of Crimea held two separate referendums.

The 1st was to declare their freedom from the Ukraine - something they had attempted on more than one occasion previously.

Secondly, after having established their independence from Ukraine they held another referendum in which they voted to be absorbed into the Russian Federation.
The Federal City of Sevastopol, held simultaneous referendums.

All the referendums attracted a very large number of voters and those that voted were overwhelmingly in favor of independence from Ukraine and in favor of joining the Russian Federation.

TTBOMK no one has seriously questioned the outcome of the votes, rather Ukraine claims that they had no right to vote for their own independence. If the international community accepted such a claim, the independence of Kosovo would need to be reexamined.
Terry

Red

« Reply #722 on: December 09, 2018, 06:10:37 PM »
A small quibble perhaps, but:

No quibble at all Terry. There are a number of sovereignty votes that aren't recognized around the globe. Last year in Spain for example and the ongoing struggle with Palestine to mention a couple. The efforts for and against are wide ranging of course but I think that the PTB would work feverishly against any and all. The more sovereign states there are the harder to gather all under one ring and bind them without extreme prejudice. Might makes right of course.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: December 09, 2018, 09:28:43 PM »
Red
The emphasis I was trying for was that Crimea was the independent country of Crimea when they held a plebiscite asking to be brought under the wing of the Russian Federation.
Since there was never any direct action between Ukraine and Russia, the questions that need to be answered are:

Is it legal for an autonomous region to go it's separate way?

Was the vote fair, inclusive, and though a number of invited scrutineers opted not to attend, did a vast majority of those who did witness the procedure certify it as valid?

Is it legal for an independent country to be absorbed into a federation when both entities agree that this is what their government and constituents wish to do?

Was this vote fair, inclusive, and has either country challenged the results?

I believe that this was the third time Crimea had voted for her independence. Ukraine apparently believed that she could hold Crimea against the wishes of the populace, and had been doing so for some time.

Will the UK vote for something that might effect her own sovereignty over the Maldives and Gibraltar? Will the US have their vote counted when the president could undo all of her machinations WRT the break up of Yugoslavia?

In fairness both countries almost certainly will vote with Ukraine and against the will of the Crimean populous, but this is based on their belief that might makes right, rather than any thought of legal president.
Terry

ASILurker

« Reply #724 on: December 15, 2018, 03:18:09 AM »
The Psychology of Gaslighting

Ask me to explain the details in the molecular physics and mathematics behind the actions of GHGs and I will be at a loss. On the other hand I think I was blessed to have some good teachers about human behavior and psychology. With many opportunities to practice and observe some of the things I was shown at work and in social settings among groups of all kinds of different people. I have also seen those very same things I had learned being played out in the media and especially politics where life can become very stressful indeed.

When people feel under pressure, are being criticized or are stressed there are 4 default communication modes that are typically adopted unconsciously. The most common one is to become a Placater, to be submissive. We all learn this mode from the moment we are born from our parents, our families and in kindergarten especially. The template is laid down in our neural pathways.

The next most common response mode is to become a Blamer back. This has been called by some the Blamer Blamer mode. The best form of defense is to attack. Behind school yard bullying and peer-pressure is this Blamer communication mode. Why? It tends to work a treat. Especially if one can do it successfully without any guilt and with self-righteous indignation. It too becomes a template laid down in an individuals neural pathways when a child or a teen.

Understanding how this can operate on a personal level helps by also understanding that typically when someone is pointing the finger against another for some poor behaviour or harm that has been (perceived) to be done, then 3 others fingers are pointing back upon themselves. Try it - point to the wall and see what your three little fingers are doing. It's a physical representation of a psychological truism. This is what the DNC and the Hillary Clinton Campaign have essentially been doing since 2016.

Part of my observations have involved seeing how individual people function within Institutional settings eg when in schools, colleges, Government departments, businesses, corporations, political movements, bikie groups, religions and churches. While they can adjust the personal behaviours to fit the framework in which they are operating once there is excessive stress involved they all tend to default back to their individual modes of communication.

An Institution that is being criticized, outed or is under attack therefore mimics as a whole entity similarly to what the people inside are feeling like and how they are reacting when stressed.

The analogy is to imagine an unfaithful husband. The wife gets a 6th sense something is not quite right. She tries to ignore the changes she has noticed but eventually, upset, stressed, she confronts her husband with her unproven evidence free suspicions. Knowing she is right and therefore immediately triggered by the stress of being found out the husband switches immediately to Blamer Blamer mode - "How dare you accuse ME of such a thing!" - "I have had all this extra work to do, I am doing my best, but it's YOU who hasn't been paying me enough attention or supporting me through it." And they're off.

People can only defend themselves based on what they already know. They cannot be instinctively creative when under stress. Unfaithful husbands know what they have been doing and how they have tried to avoid being exposed. Knowing that, they will automatically begin to recall examples in their wife's own behaviour that 'mimics', looks very similar to, the things he has done himself.

In blamer blamer mode the husband can turn the tables and lay out all these examples of how 'suspicious' some of the wife's own 'changes' and odd behaviour have been lately. She knows she has not been unfaithful, and so what she is presented with is a very powerful case of Plausible Deniability on the part of the husband. Gosh, maybe she was just being paranoid and reading too much into it, she thinks.

The key point here to remember is that the guilty party knows exactly how things work when one is covering up secrets, nefarious, underhanded or unethical behavior.  Even more than this, this is precisely how they generally think. It's their basic Psychology iow.

However usually, the wife will immediately switch to the Placater mode because she feels guilty - she can see well yes, what he says could be true too. Maybe 5 years later she finally come across the hard evidence she was right all along.

All Institutions are made up of people. As such whole Institutions operate in a very similar way. They too point fingers. But all of them find 'placating' an impossibility. Their default position when under stress is always to defend, to attack, to blame the accusers as much as possible. You've seen this happening all your life - from both sides of the fence. Maybe you never thought about it at a human personal level before or ever imagined some core default human communication mode being in play by an Institution.

How do you think the Catholic Church and the thousands of other Institutions who have avoided their complicity and cover-ups of child abuse for so long?  Every Institution operates in the same ways. It's in their 'nature' do be like that. Because they have all been 'created' by human beings to a particular standard design for centuries.

So knowing all this and being able to see it play out in the real world up close and at distance one can get a really good hint about what may be going behind the scenes even with a total lack of hard evidence. But when people are unable to even become suspicious about anothers behaviour they have little to no chance of ever thinking about what kind of evidence might even exist or where to go find it.

Placaters simply accept what someone tells them at face value. They do not wish to be seen as accusatory or radical or argumentative. Silence works to decrease one's stress levels and help them turn away from things they do not wish to even contemplate could be true.

So if you really want to gain some insights into the possibility of the guilt or innocence of the DNC and the Clinton Campaign then I suggest the following. To understand what they know, and to understand how they think about things in general, and what their ethical standards may be, go read their Court submission for their Lawsuit against Wikileaks and the Trump campaign. It's an 'open book'.

You see, I posit that it's more likely than not that the DNC et al know exactly what it is like to be thinking about and doing those things they are blaming the others for. They also know how to go about it in practice. They are speaking about things they already intimately know about from their direct first hand experience.   :o

It has been said 'the eyes are a window into the soul.' I say people's words (and the words of Institutions) are a window into their mind and how it thinks.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 02:14:07 PM by Lurk »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: December 15, 2018, 09:45:20 AM »
Oldie, goodie. Filmed in 1989, a remarkable conversation between very smart people who were around at seminal events.

Topic: Secrecy, State, and Democracy

Cast of characters:

Moderator: John Underwood

Panelists:

James Rusbridger: CIA/MI6, died in suspicious circumstances five years later.

Tony Benn: Need I say more ?

Lord Dacre: Hugh Trevor-Roper, historian, oxbridge don, SIS

Anthony Cavendish: SIS

Miles Copeland: Founder CIA, unabashed cold warrior

Eddie Chapman: Colourful doesn't begin to describe him. Criminal turned MI5 WWII double agent against the Germans. Parachuted into England several times, awarded the Iron Cross by the Germans ...

Adela Gooch: Reporter, Defence desk, Telegraph

Two hours forty-eight minutes. Worth it.

sidd
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:01:37 AM by sidd »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #726 on: December 15, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »
Bad journalism:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #727 on: December 15, 2018, 09:11:39 PM »
Thanks sidd,

Interesting conversation...anyone who wants to take a short peak could watch 8m53 - 11m30 where Tony Benn paints the central problem.

1:22:00 Allende

1:22:45 Actually America is an empire

on to the rest

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 15, 2018, 10:34:13 PM »
Moon of Alabama digs into document dumps detailing UKGov funded effort to influence media:

https://www.moonofalabama.org/

"Integrity Initiative" indeed. Straight outta Orwell and Newspeak.

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #729 on: December 15, 2018, 11:20:46 PM »
Amazing stuff. I wasn't aware that hackers from Anonymous had released these documents, several weeks ago, and again, the day before yesterday. This should be all over the mainstream media, but lo and behold, it isn't.

Craig Murray also has a piece on it:

Even the mainstream media has been forced to give a few paragraphs to the outrageous Integrity Initiative, under which the MOD-sponsored Institute for Statecraft has been given millions of pounds of taxpayers’ money by the FCO to spread covert disinformation and propaganda, particularly against Russia and the anti-war movement. Activities include twitter and facebook trolling and secretly paying journalists in “clusters of influence” around Europe. Anonymous helpfully leaked the Institute’s internal documents. Some of the Integrity Initiative’s thus exposed alleged covert agents, like David Aaronovitch, have denied any involvement despite their appearance in the documents, and others like Dan Kaszeta the US “novichok expert”, have cheerfully admitted it.

Dan Kaszeta, part of the Bellingcat team, which is hiring a business manager for 70-90K euros per year, and my guess is Eliot is probably not making less than that. That anti-Russia stuff is really lucrative, isn't it?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 16, 2018, 01:13:23 AM »

Dan Kaszeta, part of the Bellingcat team, which is hiring a business manager for 70-90K euros per year, and my guess is Eliot is probably not making less than that. That anti-Russia stuff is really lucrative, isn't it?

Originality, imagination, inventiveness, creativity, these guys even strive to be inspirational. Of course their worth much more than those that simply report what's actually happening.

They aren't knocking down Rachel Maddow bucks yet, but give them some time, Rome wasn't sacked in a day.
Terry

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 19, 2018, 08:19:56 PM »
Lurk
Your above sounds much like a British version of the Ukrainian's despised and derided "Ministry of Truth" (Ministry of Information) that had such a negative effect on the quality of information from that front since it's 2014 inception.

https://mashable.com/2014/12/02/ukraine-ministry-of-truth/#AOrYmRtlZOqk

The way to fight perceived propaganda is through openness and honesty, a lesson taken to heart by the Kremlin, but not apparently by any of their opposition. Monotonous truth, with a modest amount of spin, makes for a much stronger propaganda message than unbelievable tales repeated loudly every news cycle.

The official line coming out of Ukraine became so evidently false that they lost a good portion of their domestic audience and many foreign observers began to actively resist their dishonesty. Lines of Russian Tanks maneuvering in Georgia were presented (to the American Congress!) as tanks rolling into Donbass. Russian's were depicted as "invading" Crimea, fighters bombarding civilians in their apartments were heralded as heroes as they hid in the Soviet era bomb shelters beneath regional airports.
Unfortunately many of these concoctions were passed on to willing MSM collaborators (Mockingbirds?) and the memes still find themselves repeated ad nauseam.

The UK is not presently in a state of real or imagined war, and not too long ago the UK possessed a strong journalistic tradition. There is yet some chance that these Government based disinformation networks will be fully exposed, and some of the harm they have done will be ameliorated.

Terry

PS - Are Obama's domestically targeted propaganda operations being exposed? Will the "Mockingbird" Media be dismantled, or is that too much to hope for?

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 20, 2018, 12:50:42 AM »
Fikker at the Black Agenda Report on paternalism in media narrative:

"The corporate recorders at the Times would have us believe that the reason African-Americans did not uniformly vote for Hillary Clinton and the Democrats is because they were too dimwitted to think for themselves and were subsequently manipulated by foreign agents. "

" With rank paternalism and bigotry worthy of David Duke, these supposed progressives are inferring that we can’t think for ourselves and that only they can act on our behalf. We are “their Negroes” and if we are not walking in lock step with Democrats, it’s not because we are critical thinkers but because we are fragile people who need to be spoken for."

"To be honest, this entire Russian farce is not only insulting to African-Americans but to every American. Our elections have been subverted a long time ago, the lesser of two evils a Democracy does not make. The Democrat and Republican Parties are wholly owned subsidiaries of the military-financial racket, they give us platitudes and rhetoric while policies are reserved for the richest 1%. Russians did not undermine our elections, Citizens United and the billions of unaccounted dollars did that long before 2016. Mainstream media “journalists” would write about this and speak up against this cancer that eats away at our Republic if they too were not muzzled by the paychecks they are getting from their corporate overlords."

"I do not owe my vote to Democrats or Republicans, they will either earn my support or they can go to hell. "

https://www.blackagendareport.com/bigoted-paternalism-behind-russians-targeted-african-americans-ny-times-article

sidd

"

Red

« Reply #733 on: December 20, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
https://newspunch.com/cnn-journalist-admits-fake-news/
A reporter who was awarded CNN’s “Journalist of the Year” prize has resigned from his job and admitted to writing fake news for several years because he felt “pressure.”

“I am sick and I need to get help,” Claas Relotius said after resigning from his job. In his confession, he explained, “It was fear of failing,” that made him falsify the news for liberal outlets. “My pressure to not be able to fail got ever bigger the more successful I became.”

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #734 on: December 20, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »
LOL.
 You do realize, I hope, that you are citing NewsPunch, described as:

"NewsPunch is a Los Angeles-based fake news website that frequently spreads conspiracy theories and political misinformation mixed in with real news stories."

So, was your post intended as irony?
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Red

« Reply #735 on: December 20, 2018, 01:24:08 PM »
https://apnews.com/53bc2c3d777e41288de5f6bac161333d
BERLIN (AP) — An award-winning journalist who worked for Der Spiegel, one of Germany’s leading news outlets, has left the weekly magazine after evidence emerged that he committed journalistic fraud “on a grand scale” over a number of years, the publication said Wednesday.

Spiegel published a lengthy report on its website after conducting an initial internal probe of the work of Claas Relotius, a 33-year-old staff writer known for vivid investigative stories. The magazine said Relotius resigned Monday after admitting some of his articles included made-up material from interviews that never happened.

Nemesis

« Reply #736 on: December 20, 2018, 01:55:42 PM »
Yea, Der Spiegel, once a political left magazine turned more and more into establishment press. Der Spiegel also denied climate change over and over again (one of these ugly deniers is the writer Axel Bojanowski). And Der Spiegel attacked climate scientist Professor Stefan Rahmstorf again and again in some nasty ways.

Red

« Reply #737 on: December 20, 2018, 09:23:05 PM »
http://www.defenddemocracy.press/integrity-initiative-organizing-neo-macarthyism-and-the-new-cold-war/
Greetings. We are Anonymous.
We have obtained a large number of documents relating to the activities of the ‘Integrity Initiative’ project that was launched back in the fall of 2015 and funded by the British government. The declared goal of the project is to counteract Russian propaganda and the hybrid warfare of Moscow. Hiding behind benevolent intentions, Britain has in fact created a large-scale information secret service in Europe, the United States and Canada, which consists of representatives of political, military, academic and journalistic communities with the think tank in London at the head of it.
Read more at https://www.cyberguerrilla.org/blog/operation-integrity-initiative-british-informational-war-against-all/

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #738 on: December 21, 2018, 04:52:43 AM »
Again, your source has been described as 'neo-conservative'

You seem to be rather addicted to far-right, white-supremasist, and fake-news sources for your information.

I can't help but wonder if these are the kind of posts Neven wants, crowding out science based, fact based, and non-hate based sources.

I, as do we all, of course, leave it to him. But the more that these kinds of posts and posters are tolerated, the fewer sincere posters are like to frequent this once very valuable forum
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 21, 2018, 05:42:16 AM »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #740 on: December 21, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »
I can't help but wonder if these are the kind of posts Neven wants, crowding out science based, fact based, and non-hate based sources.

I've already said something about that (if you can't find a better source, it's probably exaggerated or bogus). In the case of the Integrity Initiative project, there are plenty of decent sources out there describing what it's about (warmongering for money and Cold War mindsets), and so I'm not that interested in the provenance of each and every link.

I, as do we all, of course, leave it to him. But the more that these kinds of posts and posters are tolerated, the fewer sincere posters are like to frequent this once very valuable forum.

The Arctic sea ice segment of the Forum is as valuable as it's ever been, and that's the core of this Forum, so I'm not seeing any problem for both sincere and insincere posters. They can all get and provide their neoliberal incrementalist conditioned consensus elsewhere, as it's an obstacle to meaningful systemic changes that may solve AGW and other global problems.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #741 on: December 30, 2018, 08:48:57 AM »
Seems someone wants to control the narrative they want people to hear. Cyber attack the media ...

Computer Virus Hits Newspapers Coast-to-Coast
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna953001

Tribune Publishing said Saturday night that malware affected its ability to print newspapers across its chain of outlets, including the Chicago Tribune, the New York Daily News, the Baltimore Sun and the Orlando Sentinel.

... The Los Angeles Times, citing an anonymous source, described the malware as part of a cyberattack with foreign origins. 

Malware Attack Disrupts Delivery of L.A. Times and Tribune Papers Across the U.S.
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-times-delivery-disruption-20181229-story.html

What first arose as a server outage was identified Saturday as a malware attack, which appears to have originated from outside the United States and hobbled computer systems and delayed weekend deliveries of the Los Angeles Times and other newspapers across the country

Technology teams worked feverishly to quarantine the computer virus, but it spread through Tribune Publishing’s network and reinfected systems crucial to the news production and printing process. Multiple newspapers around the country were affected because they share a production platform.

By Saturday afternoon, the company suspected the cyberattack originated from outside the United States, but officials said it was too soon to say whether it was carried out by a foreign state or some other entity, said a source with knowledge of the situation.
... Several individuals with knowledge of the Tribune situation said the attack appeared to be in the form of “Ryuk” ransomware. One company insider, who was not authorized to comment publicly, said the corrupted Tribune Publishing computer files contained the extension “.ryk.”

“Ryuk” attacks are “highly targeted, well-resourced and planned,” according to an August advisory by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ cybersecurity program. Victims are deliberately targeted and “only crucial assets and resources are infected in each targeted network.”

Related?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna952681
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 09:03:53 AM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 03, 2019, 08:59:23 PM »
Arkin calls out the media for jingoism and warmongering:

"There is not one county in the Middle East that is safer today than it was 18 years ago."

" ... we essentially condone continued American bumbling in the Middle East and now Africa  ..."

" ... in many ways NBC just began emulating the national security state itself — busy and profitable. No wars won but the ball is kept in play."

" ... if they mean by the word partisan that it is New Yorkers and Washingtonians against the rest of the country then they are right."

https://medium.com/@ggreenwald/full-email-from-william-arkin-leaving-nbc-and-msnbc-1fb0d1dc692b

Greenwald covers this at

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/03/veteran-nbcmsnbc-journalist-blasts-the-network-for-being-captive-to-the-national-security-state-and-reflexively-pro-war-to-stop-trump/

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 04, 2019, 06:08:28 AM »
Let me add Caitlin Johnston's take on William Arkin's departure from NBC.

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/reporter-quits-nbc-citing-networks-support-for-endless-war-7d1ca15cd2fc

As the Good retreat, the Bad become ever more emboldened.
Truth no longer takes a back seat to Ideology, it's been kicked off the bus.
Terry

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 07, 2019, 09:21:37 PM »
(MS)NBC jumps shark again : Putin's cricket army in Cuba

"The villain behind the noises is the male indies short-tailed cricket"

"That’s how the U.S. media functions: sensationalistic stories produce massive benefits, while there are zero consequences, or even an obligation to acknowledge error, when they turn out to be doubtful of even false."

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/07/nbc-and-msnbc-blamed-russia-for-using-sophisticated-microwaves-to-cause-brain-injuries-in-u-s-diplomats-in-cuba-the-culprits-were-likely-crickets/

An related, from America's Finest News Source: On admitting error, and why the media can't

"Life is a whole lot better when you tell yourself that nothing—nothing at all—is your fault. Now, does that make me perfect? Yes, I believe so."

https://www.theonion.com/it-s-not-an-easy-thing-to-admit-when-you-re-wrong-and-1831546390

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 07, 2019, 10:40:35 PM »
Hedges at truthdig on " the start of the 2020 election circus. "

"The vaunted new populist members of Congress will be no more than window dressing, trotted out, like Sanders, to trick voters into thinking the Democratic Party is capable of reform."

Quotes Wolin: "The amount of corruption that regularly takes place before elections means that corruption is not an anomaly but an essential element in the functioning of managed democracy. "

On Sanders:  "Clinton and Chuck Schumer’s barking seal."

"The differences between the right-wing media and the liberal media are minuscule. "

Quotes Taibbi: "Elections are about a lot of things, but at the highest level, they’re about money ... The Republicans give them everything that they want, while the Democrats only give them mostly everything. "

"The Republican strategy of playing to the lowest common denominator ensured that eventually the useful idiots would take over and elect one of their own, in Donald Trump. Trump ... like tens of millions of other Americans, believes anything he sees on television. He does not read. He is consumed by vanity and the cult of the self. He is a conspiracy theorist. He blames America’s complex social and economic ills on scapegoats such as Mexican immigrants and Muslims, and of course the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party, in turn, blames Trump’s election on Russia and former FBI Director James Comey. It is the theater of the absurd."

"The circus, with its freaks, con artists and clowns, is open for business."

Gee, Chris sounds mad. I think he's seen this circus before. But then, haven't we all ?

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-election-circus-begins/

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #746 on: January 07, 2019, 10:55:26 PM »
Gee, Chris sounds mad. I think he's seen this circus before. But then, haven't we all ?

Some of us want to see it again and again and again, and in between pretend like we're not seeing anything.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 12, 2019, 12:21:46 AM »
Tucker Carlson on fire:

"What you’re watching is entire populations revolting against leaders who refuse to improve their lives."

"At some point, Donald Trump will be gone. The rest of us will be gone, too. The country will remain. What kind of country will be it be then? "

"Anyone who thinks the health of a nation can be summed up in GDP is an idiot."

"But our leaders don’t care. We are ruled by mercenaries who feel no long-term obligation to the people they rule ... They’re just passing through. They have no skin in this game, and it shows. They can’t solve our problems. They don’t even bother to understand our problems."

"One of the biggest lies our leaders tell us that you can separate economics from everything else that matters."

" In many ways, rural America now looks a lot like Detroit."

"Rich people are happy to fight malaria in Congo. But working to raise men’s wages in Dayton or Detroit? That’s crazy."

" Not all commerce is good. Why is it defensible to loan people money they can’t possibly repay? Or charge them interest that impoverishes them?"

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-mitt-romney-supports-the-status-quo-but-for-everyone-else-its-infuriating

Praise from quarters as disparate as vox and american conservative:

Coaston at vox: "The monologue was stunning in itself, an incredible moment ..."

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/10/18171912/tucker-carlson-fox-news-populism-conservatism-trump-gop

Drehrer at americanconservative: "A man or woman who can talk like that with conviction could become president. "

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/tucker-carlson-for-president/

Some are not happy: French at the national review clutches his pearls warning of populism arising from victimhood :

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/01/the-right-should-reject-tucker-carlsons-victimhood-populism/

And Jing at the federalist eviscerates French and discusses the ideal vs the real USA:

"French’s column was well thought-out, principled, and sincere. However, it also lacked a connection with reality. "

"French is, by all accounts, an intelligent and decent person who thinks he lives in a Horatio Alger book. In his essay, French delivers a paean to America, “a flawed society that still grants its citizens access to tremendous opportunity.” "

"Problem is, that America is vanishing"

" elite Americans only live near each other in Super ZIPs, only marry each other (as described above), and thus only listen to each other. There is only one voice in DC beltway conservatism—not that of most Americans."

"Our society is less French’s America, the idea, and more Frantz Fanon’s “Wretched of the Earth” (involving a very different French). The lowest are stripped of even social dignity and deemed unworthy of life. In Real America, wages are stagnant, life expectancy is crashing, people are fleeing the workforce, families are crumbling, and trust in the institutions on top are at all time-lows. "

http://thefederalist.com/2019/01/09/not-victimhood-populism-point-elites-failed/

sidd

Martin Gisser

« Reply #748 on: January 12, 2019, 06:06:33 PM »
Again, your source has been described as 'neo-conservative'

You seem to be rather addicted to far-right, white-supremasist, and fake-news sources for your information.

I, as do we all, of course, leave it to him. But the more that these kinds of posts and posters are tolerated, the fewer sincere posters are like to frequent this once very valuable forum
Meanwhile I take these threads as an excellent excerpt source for alt-right/Russian bullshit material.

Me has even started watching Neven's friend Jimmy Dore a bit - where alt-left embraces alt-right bullshitting and disinformation (another example coming soon). :)
Another reason why I'm back looking here is the hilarity that's soon to be fulgurating when Mueller+SDNY lay their cards on the table.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #749 on: January 12, 2019, 06:35:37 PM »
I hesitate to classify the following as BAD journalism, because Jimmy Dore doesn't seem that stupid to me to warrant an application of Hanlon's razor ("Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity") and not classify his stuff as professional bullshitting. Who is he working for?

Jimmy manages to make fake news out of old news - by the lamest and easiest detectable trick of the bullshit trade: leaving out context. And so he piles up more of the alt-right trope: "But but Obama also did it! {So, why not Putin?}".

BTW Germany also has sock puppets operating in Islamist and Nazi social media.
I will not comment on that elderly "Intelligence Veteran for Sanity" theory regurgitated by Jimmy. It enhances the impression that this is a professional bullshitter at work for alt-right Putinists. 

Revealed: U.S. Intel/Military/Spy Operation Manipulating Social Media! 13 mins
Automated software creates FAKE User profiles on Facebook and other Social Media platforms to promote and spread Pro-American Propaganda in other nations around the world.

The key question is : "The Innocent Victim OR the Original and the Best Perpetrator?"

----------------------------------

Please note that the term "bullshit" has long been accepted in philosophical discourse. There are entire books on bullshit.

Someone who lies and someone who tells the truth are playing on opposite sides, so to speak, in the same game. Each responds to the facts as he understands them, although the response of the one is guided by the authority of the truth, while the response of the other defies that authority and refuses to meet its demands. The bullshitter ignores these demands altogether. He does not reject the authority of the truth, as the liar does, and oppose himself to it. He pays no attention to it at all. By virtue of this, bullshit is a greater enemy of the truth than lies are.
--Harry G Frankfurt, On Bullshit (my emph, reflecting my impression of Jimmy Dore.)

Bullshit gets you noticed. Bullshit makes you rich. Bullshit can even pave your way to the Oval Office.
--James Ball, Post-Truth How Bullshit Conquered the World
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 06:45:25 PM by Martin Gisser »