Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Media: Examples of Good AND Bad Journalism  (Read 44197 times)

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Media: Examples of Good AND Bad Journalism
« Reply #750 on: December 20, 2018, 05:36:51 AM »
The Washington D.C. attorney general has filed a lawsuit suing Facebook for allowing political consultancy firm Cambridge Analytica to gain access to personal data of tens of millions of the site’s users without permission.

SCOOP: D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine has sued Facebook for failing to protect users' privacy, including allowing Cambridge Analytica to gain access to data on tens of millions in 2016 without their permission. By @TonyRomm@craigtimberg and me. https://t.co/Kaxewt51DJ
    — Aaron C. Davis (@byaaroncdavis) December 19, 2018

Details of Facebook’s involvement with Cambridge Analytica hit headlines in March after whistleblower Christopher Wylie admitted that the firm had wanted to created “psychographic profiles” of Facebook users and then target them accordingly with political messaging.

The scandal was made worse by the fact that Cambridge Analytica had previously been managed by Steve Bannon — who later went on to serve as a top aide to US President Donald Trump.

A US federal investigation has been ongoing for months, looking into whether Facebook has been entirely up front about its relationship with Cambridge Analytica. Earlier this week it was revealed that Facebook allowed unhindered access to users' messages, email addresses and other data as part of deals with major companies like Netflix and Spotify. It turned out that Facebook had even developed a special tool which could turn access to private data on and off — even if a user had already disabled sharing of their information.

5 reasons why the D.C. attorney general is suing Facebook
https://www.fastcompany.com/90284708/5-reasons-why-the-d-c-attorney-general-is-suing-facebook

COMPLAINT
http://oag.dc.gov/sites/default/files/2018-12/Facebook-Complaint.pdf

Another reason supporting my view that America is the #1 most fraudulent, unethical, dishonest, immoral, unjust and corrupted nation on Earth. And has been for a very very long time.
"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. [...] A good person will resist an evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil state is therefore a duty."
Mahatma Gandhi - Non-Violent Resistance

Red

« Reply #751 on: December 20, 2018, 10:56:05 AM »
https://newspunch.com/cnn-journalist-admits-fake-news/
A reporter who was awarded CNN’s “Journalist of the Year” prize has resigned from his job and admitted to writing fake news for several years because he felt “pressure.”

“I am sick and I need to get help,” Claas Relotius said after resigning from his job. In his confession, he explained, “It was fear of failing,” that made him falsify the news for liberal outlets. “My pressure to not be able to fail got ever bigger the more successful I became.”

wili

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 224
« Reply #752 on: December 20, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »
LOL.
 You do realize, I hope, that you are citing NewsPunch, described as:

"NewsPunch is a Los Angeles-based fake news website that frequently spreads conspiracy theories and political misinformation mixed in with real news stories."

So, was your post intended as irony?
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Red

« Reply #753 on: December 20, 2018, 01:24:08 PM »
https://apnews.com/53bc2c3d777e41288de5f6bac161333d
BERLIN (AP) — An award-winning journalist who worked for Der Spiegel, one of Germany’s leading news outlets, has left the weekly magazine after evidence emerged that he committed journalistic fraud “on a grand scale” over a number of years, the publication said Wednesday.

Spiegel published a lengthy report on its website after conducting an initial internal probe of the work of Claas Relotius, a 33-year-old staff writer known for vivid investigative stories. The magazine said Relotius resigned Monday after admitting some of his articles included made-up material from interviews that never happened.

Nemesis

« Reply #754 on: December 20, 2018, 01:55:42 PM »
Yea, Der Spiegel, once a political left magazine turned more and more into establishment press. Der Spiegel also denied climate change over and over again (one of these ugly deniers is the writer Axel Bojanowski). And Der Spiegel attacked climate scientist Professor Stefan Rahmstorf again and again in some nasty ways.

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 20, 2018, 02:41:33 PM »
"... fake news website that frequently spreads conspiracy theories and political misinformation mixed in with real news stories."

Pick any one of them from the msm standard bearers all the way down and it still fits.
"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. [...] A good person will resist an evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil state is therefore a duty."

Red

« Reply #756 on: December 20, 2018, 09:23:05 PM »
http://www.defenddemocracy.press/integrity-initiative-organizing-neo-macarthyism-and-the-new-cold-war/
Greetings. We are Anonymous.
We have obtained a large number of documents relating to the activities of the ‘Integrity Initiative’ project that was launched back in the fall of 2015 and funded by the British government. The declared goal of the project is to counteract Russian propaganda and the hybrid warfare of Moscow. Hiding behind benevolent intentions, Britain has in fact created a large-scale information secret service in Europe, the United States and Canada, which consists of representatives of political, military, academic and journalistic communities with the think tank in London at the head of it.
Read more at https://www.cyberguerrilla.org/blog/operation-integrity-initiative-british-informational-war-against-all/

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 21, 2018, 03:29:48 AM »

wili

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 224
« Reply #758 on: December 21, 2018, 04:52:43 AM »
Again, your source has been described as 'neo-conservative'

You seem to be rather addicted to far-right, white-supremasist, and fake-news sources for your information.

I can't help but wonder if these are the kind of posts Neven wants, crowding out science based, fact based, and non-hate based sources.

I, as do we all, of course, leave it to him. But the more that these kinds of posts and posters are tolerated, the fewer sincere posters are like to frequent this once very valuable forum
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 21, 2018, 05:20:42 AM »
Evidence?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 05:46:54 AM by Lurk »

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 101
« Reply #760 on: December 21, 2018, 05:42:16 AM »

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 280
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #761 on: December 21, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »
I can't help but wonder if these are the kind of posts Neven wants, crowding out science based, fact based, and non-hate based sources.

I've already said something about that (if you can't find a better source, it's probably exaggerated or bogus). In the case of the Integrity Initiative project, there are plenty of decent sources out there describing what it's about (warmongering for money and Cold War mindsets), and so I'm not that interested in the provenance of each and every link.

I, as do we all, of course, leave it to him. But the more that these kinds of posts and posters are tolerated, the fewer sincere posters are like to frequent this once very valuable forum.

The Arctic sea ice segment of the Forum is as valuable as it's ever been, and that's the core of this Forum, so I'm not seeing any problem for both sincere and insincere posters. They can all get and provide their neoliberal incrementalist conditioned consensus elsewhere, as it's an obstacle to meaningful systemic changes that may solve AGW and other global problems.
Il faut comparer, comparer, comparer, et cultiver notre jardin

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 22, 2018, 02:09:37 AM »
Felt like putting this piece in here: although it fits elsewhere just as well.

Beware: Russian operatives will try to divide Democrats again in the 2020 primary, making activists unwitting accomplices. 2020 resolution: think before you like or share. It might be foreign propaganda, not “news”.
https://twitter.com/RobbyMook/status/1075449417824649218

Do read the responses, eg
"My landlord sent a Russian plumber to my apartment. That was the tipping point." 99 likes

I am not 100% sure but I do suspect that Jimmy does not think very highly of Robbie Mook or Jake Tapper nor the NYTs. Jimmy does some clever sleuthing, finds new knowledge on "New Knowledge" by actually reading their About page. LOL

Very X rated commentary not intended for the delicate nor the meek.   

What MIMIC - "Military Industrial Media Insanity Complex" could New Knowledge be "profit gouging" from as over paid incompetent delusional psychopathic "consultants"?

Should that C = Cabal? 

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 25, 2018, 02:07:37 AM »
More BAD Journalism. Sane people call it for what it is: State Propaganda via the News Media!

Jimmy investigates the publication of Hacked Private Official Email Communications obtained via a PHISHING Attack of EU Diplomats with the "helpful" insights of VOX and NYTs Journos!

"You can not trust the New York Times."
says Jimmy and Lurk

"It doesn't even matter that those cables were stolen. They admit that they were stolen and hacked and everyone knows that. It's perfectly okay for news organizations to print that stuff. So again it feels uncomfortable living in a country where almost every major journalist is full of shit when it comes to Julian Assange. Like when I mean "full of shit" I don't mean like they get it wrong and if they're getting it wrong "oh my god", but they know better. They know what Julian Assange (Wikileaks) did was what they are supposed to do. They know that. That's the weird part. That's what makes me uncomfortable."

Oceania is the superstate in which protagonist Winston Smith dwells. So Jimmy and ASIF citizens, welcome to Oceania and New Speak writ large!

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 25, 2018, 02:14:43 AM »
From Jimmy above ...

And then you wonder why people get their news from YouTube.
People come here because they can trust it.
I'm being honest cuz there's nothing in it for me to lie about this shit.
Nothing in it for me to lie about this stuff.
No one's paying me to lie.

vox_mundi

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #765 on: December 30, 2018, 08:48:57 AM »
Seems someone wants to control the narrative they want people to hear. Cyber attack the media ...

Computer Virus Hits Newspapers Coast-to-Coast
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna953001

Tribune Publishing said Saturday night that malware affected its ability to print newspapers across its chain of outlets, including the Chicago Tribune, the New York Daily News, the Baltimore Sun and the Orlando Sentinel.

... The Los Angeles Times, citing an anonymous source, described the malware as part of a cyberattack with foreign origins. 

Malware Attack Disrupts Delivery of L.A. Times and Tribune Papers Across the U.S.
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-times-delivery-disruption-20181229-story.html

What first arose as a server outage was identified Saturday as a malware attack, which appears to have originated from outside the United States and hobbled computer systems and delayed weekend deliveries of the Los Angeles Times and other newspapers across the country

Technology teams worked feverishly to quarantine the computer virus, but it spread through Tribune Publishing’s network and reinfected systems crucial to the news production and printing process. Multiple newspapers around the country were affected because they share a production platform.

By Saturday afternoon, the company suspected the cyberattack originated from outside the United States, but officials said it was too soon to say whether it was carried out by a foreign state or some other entity, said a source with knowledge of the situation.
... Several individuals with knowledge of the Tribune situation said the attack appeared to be in the form of “Ryuk” ransomware. One company insider, who was not authorized to comment publicly, said the corrupted Tribune Publishing computer files contained the extension “.ryk.”

“Ryuk” attacks are “highly targeted, well-resourced and planned,” according to an August advisory by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ cybersecurity program. Victims are deliberately targeted and “only crucial assets and resources are infected in each targeted network.”

Related?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna952681
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 09:03:53 AM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: December 31, 2018, 07:30:40 AM »
Ryuk?
https://research.checkpoint.com/ryuk-ransomware-targeted-campaign-break/

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2018/01/fighting_ransom.html

Related bigger picture:
"About one million of those IP addresses belonged to computers, primarily based in the US and the UK, that attackers had infected with botnet software strains known as Boaxxe and Kovter. But at the scale employed by 3ve, not even that number of IP addresses was enough. And that's where the BGP hijacking came in. The hijacking gave 3ve a nearly limitless supply of high-value IP addresses. Combined with the botnets, the ruse made it seem like millions of real people from some of the most affluent parts of the world were viewing the ads."

An aphorism I often use in my talks is "expertise flows downhill: today's top-secret NSA programs become tomorrow's PhD theses and the next day's hacking tools." This is an example of that. BGP hacking -- known as "traffic shaping" inside the NSA -- has long been a tool of national intelligence agencies. Now it is being used by cybercriminals.
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2018/12/massive_ad_frau.html

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 03, 2019, 08:59:23 PM »
Arkin calls out the media for jingoism and warmongering:

"There is not one county in the Middle East that is safer today than it was 18 years ago."

" ... we essentially condone continued American bumbling in the Middle East and now Africa  ..."

" ... in many ways NBC just began emulating the national security state itself — busy and profitable. No wars won but the ball is kept in play."

" ... if they mean by the word partisan that it is New Yorkers and Washingtonians against the rest of the country then they are right."

https://medium.com/@ggreenwald/full-email-from-william-arkin-leaving-nbc-and-msnbc-1fb0d1dc692b

Greenwald covers this at

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/03/veteran-nbcmsnbc-journalist-blasts-the-network-for-being-captive-to-the-national-security-state-and-reflexively-pro-war-to-stop-trump/

sidd

TerryM

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #768 on: January 04, 2019, 06:08:28 AM »
Let me add Caitlin Johnston's take on William Arkin's departure from NBC.

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/reporter-quits-nbc-citing-networks-support-for-endless-war-7d1ca15cd2fc

As the Good retreat, the Bad become ever more emboldened.
Truth no longer takes a back seat to Ideology, it's been kicked off the bus.
Terry

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 07, 2019, 09:21:37 PM »
(MS)NBC jumps shark again : Putin's cricket army in Cuba

"The villain behind the noises is the male indies short-tailed cricket"

"That’s how the U.S. media functions: sensationalistic stories produce massive benefits, while there are zero consequences, or even an obligation to acknowledge error, when they turn out to be doubtful of even false."

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/07/nbc-and-msnbc-blamed-russia-for-using-sophisticated-microwaves-to-cause-brain-injuries-in-u-s-diplomats-in-cuba-the-culprits-were-likely-crickets/

An related, from America's Finest News Source: On admitting error, and why the media can't

"Life is a whole lot better when you tell yourself that nothing—nothing at all—is your fault. Now, does that make me perfect? Yes, I believe so."

https://www.theonion.com/it-s-not-an-easy-thing-to-admit-when-you-re-wrong-and-1831546390

sidd

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 07, 2019, 10:40:35 PM »
Hedges at truthdig on " the start of the 2020 election circus. "

"The vaunted new populist members of Congress will be no more than window dressing, trotted out, like Sanders, to trick voters into thinking the Democratic Party is capable of reform."

Quotes Wolin: "The amount of corruption that regularly takes place before elections means that corruption is not an anomaly but an essential element in the functioning of managed democracy. "

On Sanders:  "Clinton and Chuck Schumer’s barking seal."

"The differences between the right-wing media and the liberal media are minuscule. "

Quotes Taibbi: "Elections are about a lot of things, but at the highest level, they’re about money ... The Republicans give them everything that they want, while the Democrats only give them mostly everything. "

"The Republican strategy of playing to the lowest common denominator ensured that eventually the useful idiots would take over and elect one of their own, in Donald Trump. Trump ... like tens of millions of other Americans, believes anything he sees on television. He does not read. He is consumed by vanity and the cult of the self. He is a conspiracy theorist. He blames America’s complex social and economic ills on scapegoats such as Mexican immigrants and Muslims, and of course the Democratic Party. The Democratic Party, in turn, blames Trump’s election on Russia and former FBI Director James Comey. It is the theater of the absurd."

"The circus, with its freaks, con artists and clowns, is open for business."

Gee, Chris sounds mad. I think he's seen this circus before. But then, haven't we all ?

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-election-circus-begins/

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #771 on: January 07, 2019, 10:55:26 PM »
Gee, Chris sounds mad. I think he's seen this circus before. But then, haven't we all ?

Some of us want to see it again and again and again, and in between pretend like we're not seeing anything.

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 12, 2019, 12:21:46 AM »
Tucker Carlson on fire:

"What you’re watching is entire populations revolting against leaders who refuse to improve their lives."

"At some point, Donald Trump will be gone. The rest of us will be gone, too. The country will remain. What kind of country will be it be then? "

"Anyone who thinks the health of a nation can be summed up in GDP is an idiot."

"But our leaders don’t care. We are ruled by mercenaries who feel no long-term obligation to the people they rule ... They’re just passing through. They have no skin in this game, and it shows. They can’t solve our problems. They don’t even bother to understand our problems."

"One of the biggest lies our leaders tell us that you can separate economics from everything else that matters."

" In many ways, rural America now looks a lot like Detroit."

"Rich people are happy to fight malaria in Congo. But working to raise men’s wages in Dayton or Detroit? That’s crazy."

" Not all commerce is good. Why is it defensible to loan people money they can’t possibly repay? Or charge them interest that impoverishes them?"

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tucker-carlson-mitt-romney-supports-the-status-quo-but-for-everyone-else-its-infuriating

Praise from quarters as disparate as vox and american conservative:

Coaston at vox: "The monologue was stunning in itself, an incredible moment ..."

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/10/18171912/tucker-carlson-fox-news-populism-conservatism-trump-gop

Drehrer at americanconservative: "A man or woman who can talk like that with conviction could become president. "

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/tucker-carlson-for-president/

Some are not happy: French at the national review clutches his pearls warning of populism arising from victimhood :

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/01/the-right-should-reject-tucker-carlsons-victimhood-populism/

And Jing at the federalist eviscerates French and discusses the ideal vs the real USA:

"French’s column was well thought-out, principled, and sincere. However, it also lacked a connection with reality. "

"French is, by all accounts, an intelligent and decent person who thinks he lives in a Horatio Alger book. In his essay, French delivers a paean to America, “a flawed society that still grants its citizens access to tremendous opportunity.” "

"Problem is, that America is vanishing"

" elite Americans only live near each other in Super ZIPs, only marry each other (as described above), and thus only listen to each other. There is only one voice in DC beltway conservatism—not that of most Americans."

"Our society is less French’s America, the idea, and more Frantz Fanon’s “Wretched of the Earth” (involving a very different French). The lowest are stripped of even social dignity and deemed unworthy of life. In Real America, wages are stagnant, life expectancy is crashing, people are fleeing the workforce, families are crumbling, and trust in the institutions on top are at all time-lows. "

http://thefederalist.com/2019/01/09/not-victimhood-populism-point-elites-failed/

sidd

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 12, 2019, 07:38:22 AM »
It won't take long for Carson to be gone from Fox.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #774 on: January 12, 2019, 06:06:33 PM »
Again, your source has been described as 'neo-conservative'

You seem to be rather addicted to far-right, white-supremasist, and fake-news sources for your information.

I, as do we all, of course, leave it to him. But the more that these kinds of posts and posters are tolerated, the fewer sincere posters are like to frequent this once very valuable forum
Meanwhile I take these threads as an excellent excerpt source for alt-right/Russian bullshit material.

Me has even started watching Neven's friend Jimmy Dore a bit - where alt-left embraces alt-right bullshitting and disinformation (another example coming soon). :)
Another reason why I'm back looking here is the hilarity that's soon to be fulgurating when Mueller+SDNY lay their cards on the table.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #775 on: January 12, 2019, 06:35:37 PM »
I hesitate to classify the following as BAD journalism, because Jimmy Dore doesn't seem that stupid to me to warrant an application of Hanlon's razor ("Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity") and not classify his stuff as professional bullshitting. Who is he working for?

Jimmy manages to make fake news out of old news - by the lamest and easiest detectable trick of the bullshit trade: leaving out context. And so he piles up more of the alt-right trope: "But but Obama also did it! {So, why not Putin?}".

BTW Germany also has sock puppets operating in Islamist and Nazi social media.
I will not comment on that elderly "Intelligence Veteran for Sanity" theory regurgitated by Jimmy. It enhances the impression that this is a professional bullshitter at work for alt-right Putinists. 

Revealed: U.S. Intel/Military/Spy Operation Manipulating Social Media! 13 mins
Automated software creates FAKE User profiles on Facebook and other Social Media platforms to promote and spread Pro-American Propaganda in other nations around the world.

The key question is : "The Innocent Victim OR the Original and the Best Perpetrator?"

----------------------------------

Please note that the term "bullshit" has long been accepted in philosophical discourse. There are entire books on bullshit.

Someone who lies and someone who tells the truth are playing on opposite sides, so to speak, in the same game. Each responds to the facts as he understands them, although the response of the one is guided by the authority of the truth, while the response of the other defies that authority and refuses to meet its demands. The bullshitter ignores these demands altogether. He does not reject the authority of the truth, as the liar does, and oppose himself to it. He pays no attention to it at all. By virtue of this, bullshit is a greater enemy of the truth than lies are.
--Harry G Frankfurt, On Bullshit (my emph, reflecting my impression of Jimmy Dore.)

Bullshit gets you noticed. Bullshit makes you rich. Bullshit can even pave your way to the Oval Office.
--James Ball, Post-Truth How Bullshit Conquered the World
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 06:45:25 PM by Martin Gisser »

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #776 on: January 12, 2019, 07:58:08 PM »
<snip, I've decided not to go through the same motions>

Martin, maybe you haven't noticed, but ever since I've taken some measures to limit the amount of space mainstream conditioned thinking gets to take up on this forum, the belligerent bitching has been reduced by 90%. I really like it that way, much more quiet and interesting. Things have improved massively.

This place can do without missionaries who impose their worn-out, 20th century narratives that come straight out of the divide-and-conquer strategies pushed by concentrated wealth (irrespective of nationality) to keep the wars and AGW going strong, because this Forum is about Arctic sea ice loss, not about politics.

So, I would kindly ask you to go find some other place to do your thing. I think it would be better for you, and it would definitely be a lot better for me, because it's wearing me out and I don't want to quit this project just yet.

Facebook, Google, YouTube, Twitter, the mainstream media, Corporate Leftists around the world, and even rehabilitated neocons, they're all with you to make things reality.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:45:19 PM by Neven »

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 13, 2019, 08:19:30 AM »
I have wondered lately how successful Reagan and Gorbachev would have been with their 'peace talks and nuclear arms treaties' had Social Media been around in the 1980s having been infiltrated like today with every possible Think Tank and Political / Corporate Apparatchiks (self-interest) group at that time.

It reminds me of the saying "the tail wagging the dog". Why? Because once upon a time national security decisions used to be made by the highest officials in the land, duly informed by career govt dept public servants in and out of the Military/Intel circles. The Public wasn't "polled" and nor were Twitter memes a relevant influence on long term rational actor models regarding geopolitics.

Leaders made leadership decisions. Typically based on the facts and the lay of the land as imperfect as they were - the bullshit on social media feeds were utterly irrelevant - they did not exist.

Therefore it makes me wonder why then today do we have Govt agencies splitting off secretyive activist units funded by Govt agencies to go out there to influence global social media memes as well as traveling across the world to other nations to interact with "like-minded" but very Biased Special Interest Think Tanks?

Globally inter-connected Think Tanks and pseudo-NFP Foundations who are operating multiple PR agencies & websites and running multiple auto-bot troll farms of Fake Users across all Social media Platforms with the objective to influence the various nations' Leadership via 'fake public hyping' by 'fake users' of Bullshit Memes that end up on the front pages of traditional MSM outlets.

Whatever happened to everyday elected & appointed National Ministers / Secretaries and their Departments analyzing the situations, compiling up-to-date information and data and then advising the nation's leadership in Cabinet to then make decisions on behalf of the nation?

WTF is all this other bullshit going on today got to do with that? Nothing basically. Nothing at all. One great big Nothing Burger created by a very small minority of self-important self-interested players trying to pretend they are Public Opinion and falsely claiming that they should be listened to and abide by.

The way things used to be was that elected and appointed high officials (ie Govt Ministers) used to be automatically responsible and accountable for what they said, what they promoted, what they called for and then for what final decisions were made. Nowadays most of them are silent and at arms length away from where all the action is - ie behind closed in secret confines until it appears on some news media site or latest social media or Memes "argument" online.... being pushed by people who claim to not be in any associated with the current Govt, Dept Minister or appointed Secretary in Govt. 

It's social media and the connected MSM who get to "decide" what the "truth" is and what the Govt is or should be doing. This is quite unnerving, or it should be for most who have been around long enough to know the difference.

Because what I have laid out above is not what traditional Democracy is - it's Bullshit Talking.

This "public opinion/mass media/social media/geopolitical" issue is related to the recently exposed activity of “Institute for Statecraft”and the "Integrity Initiative“ PsyOps in the UK. One of hundreds of PsyOps flooding the media and affecting everyone's conscious awareness and more importantly their Unconscious thinking and beliefs.

Need info? I recommend starting at this post here:
 https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1974.msg184955.html#msg184955
and scrolling down the page while cross checking the info via your own online searches.

Finding out what The Canary people and other anti-BDS pseudo-Govt PsyOps are up to in regarding infiltrating State and National Parliaments globally and the Laws getting written would also be useful to know - but then what to do about it is another question entirely.

Draw your own conclusions remembering this is but one single example of a rampant global reality today that began in earnest around 2004 when Facebook began and Youtube got some traction with higher internet speeds becoming the norm in the 'west' - then it became weaponized on steroids once the first "smart phone" was released in 2007.

If it 'has to be secret' then they are hiding something they do not want you or the majority of politicians and academics to know about.

In the other thread referring to the USA political interference by and in other nations -
The key question is : "The Innocent Victim OR the Original and the Best Perpetrator?"

But hasn't the key question always been "who to believe" ..... surely Iraqi WMD comes to mind pre-Social media pre-Smart phone days?

Now imho the key questions are::
"Who hijacked the Fourth Estate and how do The People get it back?"

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 13, 2019, 08:38:03 AM »
In the old days it used to be called "Full Disclosure" and the requirement to avoid any "Perceived Bias" by a Journalist. But there's no 'perceived' anything when it's being covered up from the get go.   

----

Integrity Initiative: By all means smear & attack, but at least be honest about it

Some of those journalists who have had their links revealed are carefully backtracking. One interesting form of mea culpa from some of them is to admit that while they did do some work for II, they didn't get paid much to do it, which is a curious defense if you think about it.

If you're involved in something you might feel the need to defend in the future, at least make sure you getting paid! About £200 for a talk or an article seems to be the going rate if you're interested.

I don’t know how I can be clearer. They. Paid. Me. Once. For. One. Freelance. Piece. About £200.     — Edward Lucas (@edwardlucas) January 6, 2019

Good luck to anyone signing up to work with II, we've all got mortgages to pay, there's no judgement from me, but at least take responsibility for it. And if you really didn't know you were engaging in propaganda, then perhaps a period of self-reflection is in order.

Guardian journalist James Ball, for example, wrote a column in which he came clean on his links to II (he gave a training talk for about 225 quid) but there was no real self-reflection. The headline "When free societies copy Russian media tactics, there's only one winner" is indicative of the myopia which drives the movement against so-called Russian disinformation.

Even when he is literally caught up in a Western government funded propaganda effort, he somehow still manages to reflect it back on Russia. Moscow made me do it!

Ball literally describes the Integrity Initiative as a 'victim'. Beautiful!
    — Media Lens (@medialens) January 11, 2019

Ball goes on to lament the hacking of Integrity Initiative in a newspaper which revelled in publishing juicy stories from WikiLeaks.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/448689-integrity-initiative-propaganda-media/

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #779 on: January 14, 2019, 08:54:13 AM »
<snip, I've decided not to go through the same motions>

Martin, maybe you haven't noticed, but ever since I've taken some measures to limit the amount of space mainstream conditioned thinking gets to take up on this forum, the belligerent bitching has been reduced by 90%. I really like it that way, much more quiet and interesting. Things have improved massively.

It's not that you have "taken some measures".
It's that a fair amount of commenters (including me) left, after we were told in no uncertain terms that our input on the ASIF was no longer appreciated.
And yes, that cleared up things tremendously, since now only the pro-Russia crowd is left over.
They are still promoting Jimmy Dore and RT, as you can see above.

It's just that there is no more push-back against that Russian propaganda.

This place can do without missionaries who impose their worn-out, 20th century narratives that come straight out of the divide-and-conquer strategies pushed by concentrated wealth (irrespective of nationality) to keep the wars and AGW going strong, because this Forum is about Arctic sea ice loss, not about politics.

You know, Neven : this hurts.

I came here in 2011, while fighting the deniers at WUWT, hoping to find here a crowd that was using evidence-based reasoning and science to come to conclusions about AGW and Arctic Sea Ice decline.

I feel extremely strong about AGW. Probably even more so than you do. But I approach the problem and the solution from a scientific, and engineering and economics point of view. For example : Solar farms make sense, and solar roads don't. Shutting down coal plants make sense, and so does installing grid batteries, but geo-engineering doesn't make sense, and neither does the Keystone XL (tar-sands) pipeline.

And yes, I feel very strong about Russia too. Russia has no business invading in Ukraine, and their role in the downing of MH17 cannot be denied, and neither can their meddling in foreign elections, including the US 2016 elections, and neither can we deny the poisoning of the Skripals in the UK nor the Russian bombing of hospitals in Syria.

I'm really sorry you disagree with me and some other posters here (like Martin, Susan, ASLR, Bob Wallace etc) on some issues.

But I think you are making a big mistake in booting these fine people out.

Instead, you could have booted out the Russian propagandists that we argued with.
That would have quieted down the discussion too.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:37:53 AM by Rob Dekker »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: January 14, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »
You have probably heard of Steve McIntyre @ Climate Audit - and no doubt you've heard of Bellingcat too. And maybe by now heard of Integrity Initiative as well based in the UK with centers globally. What could all three possibly have in common?

--- ---

Bellingcat activist fails to ban blogger who exposed his ties to UK propaganda outfit on Twitter
Published time: 14 Jan

An activist of the controversial investigative site Bellingcat has tried to make Twitter ban a Canadian blogger, who highlighted his links to a UK-backed covert influence network.

A recent Twitter post by a Canadian blogger, Stephen McIntyre, apparently did not sit well with Dan Kaszeta, an active contributor to the self-styled “citizen journalism” investigative website Bellingcat. The Canadian apparently drew the ire of the activist by highlighting some of his connections to the Integrity Initiative (II), a clandestine propaganda outlet funded by the UK government.

McIntyre posted an invoice sent by Kaszeta’s firm, Strongpoint Security, billing II’s parent organization, the Institute for Statecraft, for about $800 for an article penned by the man.

The document is part of a trove of II’s data leaked online. The former US Marines veteran apparently got pretty annoyed and turned to the Twitter administration, demanding that the blogger be banned for exposing his personal data. He argues that posting personal data is banned by Twitter rules.

---
McIntyre was briefly banned on Twitter, but promptly appealed his case by arguing that he violated no rules as he simply wrote about Kaszeta’s employment, which is not prohibited on Twitter. His arguments appeared to be convincing enough for the social media giant to lift the ban without any preconditions and leave all the information posted by the Canadian as it is.

---
The two men’s spat apparently attracted some attention as new people joined in McIntyre’s investigation, and starting speculating which of the articles Kaszeta wrote for II was the work to which the invoice related. The latter rushed to file more complaints with Twitter, but these were to no avail.

Please delete my invoices. I’m not kidding. I’ve been filing complaints all day. https://t.co/tTys99CtcP
    — Dan Kaszeta (@DanKaszeta) January 13, 2019

The Integrity Initiative appeared on the public radar following a series of leaks by a group which claims to be associated with the Anonymous hackers group. Documents published by the group showed that the network was stealthily operating “clusters” of influencers across Europe, who were working to ensure that pro-UK narratives dominate the media. Ostensibly, the outfit is fighting against “Russian propaganda.”

Follow the Twitter links via this news report page:
https://www.rt.com/news/448743-bellingcat-blogger-integraty-initiative-twitter/

or
https://twitter.com/climateaudit?lang=en
and related back in July 2018
A Russian Spearphishing Domain Is Now Hosted in New York City
https://climateaudit.org/2018/07/19/a-russian-spearphishing-domain-is-now-hosted-in-new-york-city/

It's a weird old world ain't it?

Just as well I don't take it or myself too seriously. :)

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #781 on: January 14, 2019, 12:16:09 PM »
Rob, I'm not going through the same motions again, and I'm not booting anyone out. Everyone is free to use the only really useful category on this forum: Cryosphere. The ghostbusting can be done everywhere else on the Internet. Mainstream, neoliberal/neocon thinking has a firm grip in most places, so you really have nothing to complain (except of course that it's not going to solve AGW, but you don't see the connection).

Susan Anderson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #782 on: January 14, 2019, 10:01:54 PM »
The predominance of a very small cadre of intolerant commenters, with Neven's passive assent if not participation, is counterproductive. He's made the point, which is of some value, that we should go to the cryosphere where knowledge is growing rather than bother with this sump of single-minded self-righteousness. But I cannot help trying to find, from time to time, ways to convey how this posse might ask themselves if they are making things worse. In general, I'm using other's words to avoid being distorted or misunderstood. I'm trying for some cognitive dissonance in the hope of jolting good people from bile-infested attacks to consider working together.

One of the pieces of this is the way that bad people exploit muddy thinking focused on finding fault with people who are not 99% perfect according to some inflexible canon.

Terror's Advocate: Barbet Schroeder directed this fascinating, appalling documentary portrait, from 2007, of the French attorney Jacques Vergès, who represented such clients as Klaus Barbie and Carlos the Jackal. Vergès discusses his life and work, starting with the discrimination he faced in his youth (his mother was from Vietnam, his father from Réunion) to his first major case .... With probing interviews and intrepid legwork, Schroeder shows how the anti-colonialist movement was secretly hijacked by Nazis and other anti-liberals, and regretfully traces modern terrorism to the tactics of Algerian independence fighters. The story Schroeder unfolds is also his own—that of a generation that had its humanistic sympathies manipulated by unscrupulous people with agendas of horror.[/size]
https://www.newyorker.com/goings-on-about-town/movies/terrors-advocate-2

The point is, whether you are using or being used, be careful not to let your hatreds eat you alive, as you execute the agenda of those who wish to destroy and sow chaos, rather than work together to solve problems.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #783 on: January 15, 2019, 07:53:33 AM »
The point is, whether you are using or being used, be careful not to let your hatreds eat you alive, as you execute the agenda of those who wish to destroy and sow chaos, rather than work together to solve problems.

That's what I've been trying to get through to Rob again and again.

As for anti-colonialism being hijacked ago, are you trying to repeat the example of bad journalism, that people in the black lives matter or environmental movement are all being brainwashed by Putin? That's dangerous. Neoliberalism never seems to have this problem of being hijacked. I guess it's already perfectly evil.

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 15, 2019, 08:11:36 AM »
Re: people in the black lives matter or environmental movement are all being brainwashed by Putin?

The attack is a little bit, but not much, subtler than that. The argument is that evil is dominant and the populists must understand this, compromise with evil to attain some, limited, carefully chosen, moderate goals. Never mind that the reason evil is dominant is precisely that attitude.

Only if you are so far deluded as to not understand the necessity of compromise, in all its meanings and implications, why then, you must be a wild haired revolutionary and probably in the employ of sinister Russian machination.

See, it's easy when you understand all this. Goofacetwit all say so. Must be true, right ?

And then we have some who say, screw all those thieves, torturers, usurers, and thugs: Take it all down.  And who can blame them. O, wait, I forgot, I just described those who do.

sidd
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:17:58 AM by sidd »

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 15, 2019, 09:56:17 AM »
Rob, I'm not going through the same motions again, and I'm not booting anyone out.

True. You are not booting anyone out directly. Yet you are making it clear that people on the side of reason are no longer welcome on the ASIF, while Russian propagandists are.

Everyone is free to use the only really useful category on this forum: Cryosphere. The ghostbusting can be done everywhere else on the Internet.

Sure. Then why do the Lurk's and the Red's and the Terry's of several shades continue to spread their Russian propaganda on this forum, while people holding a more level-headed, evidence-based opinion are chased off the forum by you ?

Mainstream, neoliberal/neocon thinking has a firm grip in most places, so you really have nothing to complain

That starts to sound like a conspiracy theory.

(except of course that it's not going to solve AGW, but you don't see the connection).

Of course selecting one commenter over another is not going to solve AGW.

AGW is going to be solved by people making wise decisions, and politicians allowing renewable energy to thrive.

We'll get there with or without you selectively discouraging people to post on certain threads on the ASIF.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:20:27 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:00 AM »

That's what I've been trying to get through to Rob again and again.

Seriously, Neven ?

I was the one pointing out that Bernie stated to "Bring people together" while you are the one "kicking Democrats out". Remember ?

There is even a thread about it.
Let's not waste either.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #787 on: January 15, 2019, 10:15:13 AM »
Thanks for re-iterating your opinions, Rob. Let's get back on-topic now.

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 16, 2019, 07:18:08 AM »
I do wish the larger media outlets would do such detail work. Applebaum on Steele dossier and everyone who touched it

https://apelbaum.wordpress.com/2018/03/17/the-mechanics-of-deception/

Comments have many links also.

sidd

TerryM

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #789 on: January 16, 2019, 07:40:24 AM »
Caitlan shines a spotlight on "NewsGuard", who as well as advising us to stay away from unapproved news sites, is also attempting to scare away advertisers.

Counter boycotts of MSM advertisers seem the only way to fight back. Perhaps alerting various ad agencies of our intentions would be productive?

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/a-new-narrative-control-firm-works-to-destroy-alternative-media-6b6ba43dc8ce

If they can't win hearts and minds by providing factual reporting, they'll try to choke alternative view points by cutting off their funding.

Dirty Pool
Terry

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 16, 2019, 07:42:06 AM »
"Contrary to common belief, the truth is rarely concise, pure, and never simple. As Proverbs 1:2-7 implies, the acquisition of knowledge and understanding does require an investment of time and effort."

Now that is the truth of it. Right there. Still waters run deep.

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 16, 2019, 08:32:48 AM »

Dedicated to Blumenthal, Shearer, and their ilk:

The Death of MSM
inspired by Lord Byron’s “The Destruction of Sennacherib”

The conspirators crawled out of the swamp in the night,
And the media enablers promoted their lies with delight;
The flash of their cameras was like the setting sun on the sea,
Their dossier orgies included the leading politicians of DC.

Like the leaves of the forest when Spring is green,
‘Russian Collusion’ incessantly played on every screen;
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
The MSNBC studios abandoned lay withered and strewn.

For the Angel of Death flapped his wings in a gust,
And breathed in the face of the MSM as he passed;
And the eyes of CNN waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and forever grew still!

There a WaPo reporter shattered and pale,
Gave the last fake news update and his ratings frail;
Their mics have gone silent, the news feed died,
The tweets unpublished, and propaganda dried.

The widows of the swamp now cry and bemoan,
The idols of DC are broken in the temple of Mammon;
And the mighty NYT demon smote by the sword,
Hath vanished like snow in the glance of the Lord!

Yaacov Apelbaum , August 16, 2018 at 7:35 pm

https://apelbaum.wordpress.com/2018/03/17/the-mechanics-of-deception/#comment-4598

Susan Anderson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 16, 2019, 08:55:21 PM »
@Neven. Why ask for evidence when you consistently refuse to accept it?

I've tried and tried, and you appear to be so wedded to your opinion that you wouldn't accept anything you don't like. Your treatment of Rob Dekker who does provide sources and facts is an example of what happens to people who make the effort.

I expect this from climate deniers, and in that field you are irreproachable. Why not import that objectivity and tolerance to your opinions here?

Your attack language is mild, but it is still attack. Your acceptance of opinions from people making biased assertions, and dismissal of those trying to point to information that corrects this, is the reason so many of us no longer make the effort.

The only thing I am willing to do at this point is to post examples from other resources and parallels that might, just possibly might, get you to investigate your bias and treat the majority of us in the US as fellow humans, not people to be defeated and/or ordered to follow your lead.

What this world needs is people working together to solve problems, not people finding fault with allies who fall short of a demand for purity in a narrow spectrum.

Fact is, I suspect we agree that we need a radical remake into a sharing, caring society that regards waste with abhorrence and is desperately concerned about the way we are trashing our planet at speed. I just don't think you can achieve that by attacking allies who are trying to find practical ways to enlist a broad range of humanity in saving our planet.

Indulging in hatred and bile will not achieve anything except more hatred and bile.

This probably belongs somewhere else, but is a reply to your most recent reply. I don't have the time and energy to keep on trying to find sources that you will respect to show you what is actually happening when you dismiss it all and return to the unappealing opinions of the few, the proud, who are dragging this small posse into hatred and exclusion. I expect that from the fake Christians whose arrogance and victim blaming would disgust their putative leader. I didn't expect it from someone I've always admired and respected, who does amazing work in the cryosphere.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #793 on: January 16, 2019, 09:11:35 PM »
Thanks for re-iterating your opinions, Susan. Let's get back on-topic now.

Susan Anderson

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 16, 2019, 10:23:43 PM »
@Neven
As usual, I have the impression you either didn't read it or made no effort to set aside your bias when you did so. Ignoring what one doesn't want to think about and promoting what one prefers is no way to discern the truth.

The posse "wins". The earth loses.

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: January 17, 2019, 10:31:32 AM »
Thank you, Susan.

When Neven says :

Thanks for re-iterating your opinions, Susan. Let's get back on-topic now.

I think what he is trying to say is that as long as we stay on topic, it's now OK to post opinions that differ from his.

Which would be a great relief.

No more stuff like this :

So, I would kindly ask you to go find some other place to do your thing. I think it would be better for you, and it would definitely be a lot better for me, because it's wearing me out and I don't want to quit this project just yet.

or stuff like this :

.... if you can't even admit something as simple as George Bush being a war criminal, it may be best that you start looking for a forum that is more to your liking, or at least restrict your presence to the Arctic Sea Ice board. I think it would be better for you, and it would definitely be less tiresome and depressing for me.
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,617.msg183118.html#msg183118

So, I think we are good to go.

Thank you, Neven !
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:06:20 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 17, 2019, 10:36:02 AM »
Global warming will happen faster than we think

Three trends will combine to hasten it, warn Yangyang Xu, Veerabhadran Ramanathan and David G. Victor.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-07586-5

Prepare for the “new abnormal”. That was what California Governor Jerry Brown told reporters last month, commenting on the deadly wildfires that have plagued the state this year. He’s right.

California’s latest crisis builds on years of record-breaking droughts and heatwaves. The rest of the world, too, has had more than its fair share of extreme weather in 2018. The Lancet Countdown on health and climate change announced last week that 157 million more people were exposed to heatwave events in 2017, compared with 2000.
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 17, 2019, 10:57:04 AM »
McIntyre posted an invoice sent by Kaszeta’s firm, Strongpoint Security, billing II’s parent organization, the Institute for Statecraft, for about $800 for an article penned by the man.

This reminds me of ClimateGate.
McIntyre once again relies on hacked documents, and uses them to smear his opponents.

In this case it was about this article by Kaszeta :
<no links to climate risk denier sites or to manipulating warmongering parasite sites, thanks; N.>

Which is a pretty good article, showing that Russia's alternate theories, about what happened to the Skripals, are pretty absurd.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:52:48 AM by Neven »
Let's not waste either.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #798 on: January 17, 2019, 11:54:05 AM »
Kaszeta needs to make clear that he gets paid for that kind of stuff by covert organisations that get paid millions to fuel conflicts with Russia. If he doesn't, it's BAD journalism.

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 18, 2019, 01:25:11 AM »
Like politicians, i am not surprised that journalists are corrupt. The mighty Wurlitzer has been playing for a very long time. But what does surprise is how cheap they come.

sidd