Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Media: Examples of Good AND Bad Journalism  (Read 270466 times)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: The Media: Examples of Good AND Bad Journalism
« Reply #1000 on: September 24, 2019, 11:53:18 AM »
Bad journalism, aka propaganda pushing for war:

The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1001 on: September 24, 2019, 08:59:28 PM »
A colorful form of good journalism:
The story behind the viral graphic that electrified the climate movement
The climate stripes illustrate the global average temperature for every year since 1850 in the form of a colored stripe. Shades of blue represent cooler years and red, warmer years. The overall effect is a striking trend toward hotter temperatures in recent decades, as a result of human-caused climate change.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1002 on: September 25, 2019, 07:43:48 AM »
Of blood, death, graveyards, life and perhaps peace:  Thier at nybooks on afghanistan

"statistics don’t make peace, people do. "

“peace has a price! I just don’t want it to be too expensive.”

"the rise of ISIS in Afghanistan haunts the Taliban as much, if not more, than it does the Afghan government."

"Was the US negotiating strategy with the Taliban really just to secure a “decent interval” between the withdrawal and the fall of Kabul to the Taliban?"

"Faizan insists that once Taliban justice is meted out and the corrupt swept from power, people will again respect Islam, law, and Afghan culture."

"Even if the Taliban want peace, and are willing to compromise, many Afghans believe that their country is subject to forces and agendas far beyond their control"

" ... losing her husband to tuberculosis in a Taliban prison ... invited to Moscow to a dialogue with the Taliban ..Meeting them—actually facing them up close—was not easy ... "

“You cannot wash blood with blood.”

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2019/09/24/beyond-afghanistans-graveyard-for-the-living/

sidd

blumenkraft

« Reply #1003 on: September 25, 2019, 06:44:54 PM »
Amazing collection, or why i hate Barak Obama:

Laws already on the books give a president great discretionary power for constructive change—without abusing executive authority.

Link >> https://prospect.org/day-one-agenda

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #1004 on: September 25, 2019, 06:45:52 PM »
True Lies: How Letter Patterns Color Perceptions of Truth
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-09-true-lies-letter-patterns-perceptions.html

... Researchers have uncovered one of the subtle psychological variables that influences whether people deem a claim to be true or false: the sequence of the letters.

Based on previous literature, the researchers knew that the brain attempts to organize information in ways that follow familiar patterns and sequences. One of the most universal, well-known patterns is the alphabet, and the investigators suspected that claims with first letters conforming to the arbitrary "ABCD" sequence—such as Andrenogel Increases Testosterone—would be perceived as more truthful. The study is available online in the Journal of Consumer Psychology.

"We go about our lives looking for natural sequences, and when we find a match to one of these patterns, it feels right," says study author Dan King, Ph.D., an assistant professor at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.

... "An embedded alphabetic sequence, even if unconsciously perceived, feels like a safe haven, and our brains can make unconscious judgments that cause-and-effect statements following this pattern are true."

... The finding suggests that companies may be more likely to convince consumers that a slogan or claim is true if the causal statement follows an alphabetical order, King says. The more frightening implication, though, relates to fake news. Headlines with cause-effect statements that are in alphabetical order may feel more true, even if they are not.

Dan King et al, Symbolic Sequence Effects on Consumers' Judgments of Truth for Brand Claims, Journal of Consumer Psychology (2019).
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #1005 on: September 25, 2019, 08:17:42 PM »
Wow! We are such f'n manipulable, impressionable twits!

Such pattern recognition impulses were obviously adaptive on the whole over our evolutionary journey...maybe not so much now?
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 27, 2019, 07:34:30 AM »
Schellnhuber at trinity college:

He thinks Pence is a very dangerous man, that climate refugees ought to be granted passports, that immigration quotas be set on cumulative fossil use by country and many other interesting things. Hour forty. watch the whole thing.

sidd

blumenkraft

« Reply #1007 on: September 27, 2019, 08:49:28 AM »
Not showing up for me, Sidd. Can you share a separate link?

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: September 27, 2019, 09:47:21 AM »
Try

youtube.com/watch?v=Jvgi6vXKzYk

or

youtube dot com forward slash question mark v equals Jvgi6vXKzYk

sidd
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 09:38:56 PM by sidd »

blumenkraft

« Reply #1009 on: September 27, 2019, 09:49:21 AM »
Thanks a lot, Sidd. :)

blumenkraft

« Reply #1010 on: September 28, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »
Vox Can't Define Neoliberalism or Be Honest About Obama Admin's Failures

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1011 on: September 28, 2019, 10:23:53 PM »

So, is this supposed to be an example of good or bad journalism?  To me, it's awful.
The host seems to be focused on trashing an essay by Ezra Klein, while only quoting a smidgen of it, not even attempting to summarize it, and without even providing a link to the essay he's trashing.

Here:
Leftists, liberals, and neoliberals share a problem: Congress
Congress, not neoliberalism, hamstrung Obama’s presidency

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/9/20/20874204/obama-farhad-manjoo-neoliberalism-financial-crisissanders-warren

Many distortions and obfuscations are in this video.  He seems to describe Klein as saying that neoliberalism is a meaningless word.  That isn't what Klein is saying at all.  Klein is decrying the sloppy, inconsistent way the word is being *used*.   See:

"I think we need the term neoliberalism. At its most useful, neoliberalism describes what happens when capitalism mutates from an economic system to a governing and even moral philosophy. That’s a more pervasive and destructive phenomenon than we tend to realize, and the idea of neoliberalism is the closest we have for a word that describes it."

The distortions and errors in the portrayal go on from there. And on. And on.  I could tediously go into details, but that might veer off-topic. 

My impression is that Michael Brooks is simply trying to build a YouTube career by peddling click-baity crap.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1012 on: September 29, 2019, 07:29:50 AM »

So, is this supposed to be an example of good or bad journalism?

This is good journalism (or better to say analysis) pointing out Klein's bad journalism.

The host seems to be focused on trashing an essay by Ezra Klein

The segment is called 'Debunk' and it is about debunking bad journalism.

, while only quoting a smidgen of it, not even attempting to summarize it, and without even providing a link to the essay he's trashing.

Well, i got an impression of what's in the Vox article (with the context of knowing Ezra Klein).

Many distortions and obfuscations are in this video.  He seems to describe Klein as saying that neoliberalism is a meaningless word.  That isn't what Klein is saying at all.  Klein is decrying the sloppy, inconsistent way the word is being *used*.

No, they are making the case that Obama ran on a populist message and once in office he just resumed the neoliberal politics of his predecessor.

See:
"I think we need the term neoliberalism. At its most useful, neoliberalism describes what happens when capitalism mutates from an economic system to a governing and even moral philosophy. That’s a more pervasive and destructive phenomenon than we tend to realize, and the idea of neoliberalism is the closest we have for a word that describes it."

Tells me nothing. Do you find this an accurate description?

Actually, neoliberalism is (from Wikipedia):

Neoliberalism or neo-liberalism is the 20th-century resurgence of 19th-century ideas associated with laissez-faire economic liberalism and free-market capitalism.

The distortions and errors in the portrayal go on from there. And on. And on.  I could tediously go into details, but that might veer off-topic.

No, that would be fine IMHO. The critique as it is is too superficial.

My impression is that Michael Brooks is simply trying to build a YouTube career by peddling click-baity crap.

QED

From the article:

Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher were neoliberals. Bill Clinton is often seen as a neoliberal. Barack Obama is sometimes considered a neoliberal. Elizabeth Warren is occasionally called a neoliberal.

A label that can describe everyone doesn’t usefully describe anyone.

But it fucking does. Because they are all neoliberals!

All of the above are free-market orientated politicians. Klein's attempt here is to tell you as the reader that these people cover a brought spectrum of politics, but they don't. The political spectrum isn't that narrow and Klein knows it! It is important that people understand that!

They also talk about the case that Obama was hamstrung by the republicans somehow. Also nicely debunked IMHO.

I like Ben Burgis a lot. He knows his logic.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: September 29, 2019, 06:14:02 PM »

All of the above are free-market orientated politicians. Klein's attempt here is to tell you as the reader that these people cover a brought spectrum of politics, but they don't. The political spectrum isn't that narrow and Klein knows it! It is important that people understand that!
No, Klein's point in the passage is that the term "neoliberal" gets used loosely, vaguely, and over-flexibly.  It's true.  One example is that Warren's stated policy positions cannot remotely be called neoliberal by any clear definition of the term.

It's a peripheral point to Klein's piece.  He doesn't dispute that neoliberalism is a toxic ideology, a point that Michael Brooks omits.

Brooks also stoops to another straw man.  Obama having been stymied by Congress on multiple fronts (as Klein asserts) does not contradict Brooks' view that Obama was inadequately progressive for Brooks' taste.  Obama was demonstrably stymied in critical areas. 

When faced with the worst economic contraction since the Great Depression, Congress forced Obama to accept a much smaller stimulus than was needed.  Thus, the recovery was sluggish and delayed.

When Obama announced plans to close Guantanamo, Congress outlawed the use of any federal funds for this purpose.  Congress holds power of the purse--this act made closing Guantanamo an impossibility for Obama.

In healthcare reform, it was Congressional politics that prevented a single-payer plan or even a public option.  A stone wall of Republican opposition combined with Blue Dog intransigence on these ideas to prevent fruition.  As it is, the more modest ACA barely passed each house, despite vigorous lobbying on its behalf by Obama.

Klein's point, overall, is that any President may be faced with obstruction by Congress, even if both houses are held by the President's party.  This is demonstrably true.  As Klein puts it:

"If the Obama administration had been able to get what it wanted, there would have been far more stimulus, a public option in Obamacare, larger subsidies for health insurance, higher taxes on the rich and corporations, hundreds of billions more in infrastructure investment and social spending, universal pre-k, a cap-and-trade plan to curb climate change, comprehensive immigration reform, and much more.

The agenda the Obama administration passed isn’t the agenda it wanted. The agenda the Obama administration passed is the agenda they could pass. It was congressional Republicans (and, sometimes, Democrats), not neoliberalism, that curbed their ambitions. "

[/quote]
They also talk about the case that Obama was hamstrung by the republicans somehow. Also nicely debunked IMHO.

I like Ben Burgis a lot. He knows his logic.
[/quote]

blumenkraft

« Reply #1014 on: September 29, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »
No, Klein's point in the passage is that the term "neoliberal" gets used loosely, vaguely, and over-flexibly.  It's true.  One example is that Warren's stated policy positions cannot remotely be called neoliberal by any clear definition of the term.

So you disagree with the Wikipedia definition of the word. Why is that?

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: September 29, 2019, 06:33:37 PM »

So you disagree with the Wikipedia definition of the word. Why is that?

The definition is fine.  It doesn't describe Warren's stated policy positions.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1016 on: September 29, 2019, 06:59:27 PM »
I don't follow, Steve. How is Warren not persuing a laissez-faire economic liberalism and free-market capitalism? Didn't i get the memo? Has she called for nationalizing of the banks (that's her thing, the banks, right?)? Or other industries for that matter? Has she even stated she wants to widen the public sector anyhow? Heck, she doesn't even want the private insurance to go when it comes to healthcare which would be the bare minimum for me to not fall into the neoliberal category.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: September 29, 2019, 07:11:47 PM »
I don't follow, Steve. How is Warren not persuing a laissez-faire economic liberalism and free-market capitalism? Didn't i get the memo? Has she called for nationalizing of the banks (that's her thing, the banks, right?)? Or other industries for that matter? Has she even stated she wants to widen the public sector anyhow? Heck, she doesn't even want the private insurance to go when it comes to healthcare which would be the bare minimum for me to not fall into the neoliberal category.

A wealth tax is the opposite of neoliberalism. Progressive taxation is the opposite of neoliberalism. Free childcare is the opposite of neoliberalism. Vigorous anti-trust enforcement is the opposite of neoliberalism.  While allowing employer-sponsored health insurance might be put in that category, when it's part of a system that guarantees univeresal coverage, it's the opposite of neoliberalism.

Warren is not a neoliberal.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1018 on: September 29, 2019, 07:29:57 PM »
Well, looks like we have a different opinion of what 'laissez-faire economic liberalism and free-market capitalism' means.

A progressive tax idea is what Bernie has. Warren's one is not too bad but makes her by no means not a neoliberal.

Free childcare is the opposite of neoliberalism

Are you kidding me? Giving kids healthcare is not being barbaric. Even having healthcare for all is not at all progressive. It's just standard (outside the US).

While allowing employer-sponsored health insurance might be put in that category, when it's part of a system that guarantees universal coverage, it's the opposite of neoliberalism.

Hell no. Healthcare and employment need to be decoupled. If you don't have that, you are less free to join a union or go on stikes (you might look at the situation at GM right now where people lose their healthcare while on strike. Bad if your kid is ill, don't you agree?)

Steve, you need to adjust your political map. There is a lot more land to discover on the left of even Bernie. And it's not too bad here, believe me. :)

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: September 29, 2019, 07:41:57 PM »

Free childcare is the opposite of neoliberalism

Are you kidding me? Giving kids healthcare is not being barbaric. Even having healthcare for all is not at all progressive. It's just standard (outside the US).

In the context of seeking office, labels like conservative/neocon/liberal/neoliberal only make sense in relation to the status quo--what policy changes are being proposed and prioritized.

In a nation with lots of uninsured folks, seeking universal coverage is strongly progressive, and the opposite of neoliberal.

As long as universal coverage is guaranteed, it's not very important (or useful) to ban employer-sponsored health insurance.  If terminated workers automatically get covered by alternate insurance, that's fine.

In relation to the status quo, I'm not aware of *any* policy positions of Warren that could be called neoliberal.  Most are decidedly in the opposite direction.  Calling her a neoliberal distorts the term beyond all recognition.  That's what Klein was saying in that passage.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1020 on: September 29, 2019, 08:07:36 PM »
In the context of seeking office, labels like conservative/neocon/liberal/neoliberal only make sense in relation to the status quo--what policy changes are being proposed and prioritized.

No, Steve. This is not labels, this is words and what they mean. The word we are talking about is clearly defined. Private for-profit insurance companies are by definition "laissez-faire economic liberalism and free-market capitalism". If you support that your politics is neoliberal.

In a nation with lots of uninsured folks, seeking universal coverage is strongly progressive, and the opposite of neoliberal.

Yes, and Warren doesn't want to take the market out of healthcare which makes her politics "laissez-faire economic liberalism and free-market capitalism".

I'm ending this here, we are spinning in circles.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: September 29, 2019, 08:14:24 PM »

No, Steve. This is not labels, this is words and what they mean. The word we are talking about is clearly defined. Private for-profit insurance companies are by definition "laissez-faire economic liberalism and free-market capitalism". If you support that your politics is neoliberal.

No, neoliberalism is not synonymous with capitalism.  Permitting insurance companies to exist is consistent with capitalism, but it does not equate to neoliberalism.  Increasing the level of regulation of insurers or other companies is the opposite of neoliberalism.  Pursuing anti-trust actions is the opposite of neoliberalism.  Words have meanings.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1022 on: September 30, 2019, 05:45:40 AM »
To add my view on the evil dogma of neoliberalism:

• remove all restictions, all red tape.
  • remove all public social functions and public ownership via privatisation.
  • make the poor suffer and remove all freedoms to live you life, apart from hopping on the hamsterwheel without jobsecurity. Make 'career' the only option to fill your life with. Make the public feel that they are only 'safe' when they are rich enough to shield from the consequences of the evil neoliberalist dogma.
  • increase competition on all levels and break unions and social cohesion. create us vs them. create winners and  losers
  • put your lackeys at all institutes and bureaus, in university economic courses, in the government etc.
  • make everybody think about money and economics. make it important.
  • no accountability, no integrity, no need to be honest. short term thinking only.
  • increase consumption and exploitation. Make consumerists via temptation/advertising, grouppressure (status) and manipulation/conditioning. Create 'want', create the dream.
  • globalisation. let the children in indonesia make your shoes.
  • take over all media.
  • remove empathy and morality.

edit: I think it was started because the very rich and powerful saw in the 70's the emerging situation where you could be perfectly happy and safe, and be poor. "How can that be?" I hear them ask each other, "those losers are happy". Why be rich? if it is clear that being poor makes you happier. Poor in the 70's in rich countries is different from poor today. Deeply disturbed anger by those powerful families originating from supremacy and automatic insanity
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:59:08 AM by nanning »
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #1023 on: September 30, 2019, 06:13:04 AM »
Up until about the '80, the poor generally had healthier diets, too. Rice and beans and greens is a pretty darn healthy basis for a diet. But with McDonaldization of cheap food and various aspects of the ag bill pushing carbohydrate calories over fruits and veggies, things went down hill fast.

The Powell Memo (or Manifesto) is said to have been the turning point in the super rich deciding to take over society more completely than they had done up to that point.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1024 on: September 30, 2019, 09:18:04 AM »
The rich don't decide all that much. It's their master that does: Concentrated wealth.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: September 30, 2019, 10:24:42 AM »
Sorry Neven but I disagree.
They very rich and powerful employ highly intelligent but low morality people to do the thinking for them. With their 'power' they set the stage.
How to exploit the weaknesses of the non-independent thinking majority (the masses, the plebs, the mob): let your employed specialists find useful stuff in everything from aristocracy, philosophy, books such as '1984', psychologists and sociologists.

First task is to remove from local societies the intelligent local leaders (via career the intelligent people leave their local place for the big city). Now there are no more independent informed critical views and corrections, no more calibration with sanity. The 'masses' are now without a shepherd and looking at TV and other media for all their information.

You don't have to decide everything to make this happen. You employ influential people and start corporations to give your message everywhere. If honesty is gone, there are no limits. Lobbying has had a big influence, especially financial and economical.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1026 on: September 30, 2019, 11:24:13 AM »
Sorry Neven but I disagree.
They very rich and powerful employ highly intelligent but low morality people to do the thinking for them. With their 'power' they set the stage.

Yes, and they do it all for their master: concentrated wealth. And so, what a society needs to do to protect itself, is to make sure wealth can't concentrate that easily and take over. You do that by putting a cap on individual wealth.

In that sense, here's some rather good journalism on the subject, an op-ed by George Monbiot (thanks goes out to sidd for showing I'm not entirely alone in my thinking): For the sake of life on Earth, we must put a limit on wealth
The enemy is within

E. Smith

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: September 30, 2019, 11:41:27 AM »
^^
I agree with that Neven.
It is just that in my view the whole idea of wealth (=affluence) is wrong. Affluence is wrong. Inequality is wrong. You always get inequality with the idea of personal wealth. Putting a cap on it is trying to prop up a structural collapsing building, in stead of rebuild.

I think I have understood how it got this far; why and how civilisation made the wrong turns long ago. Fundamentally It boils down to supremacy  (which always makes people insane) , the unnatural concept of fathers/family/inheritance, and ownership of land and living nature.
This is not just an opinion but the result of years of non-academic scientific research. That's of course not the reason why it is correct. It is correct because it completely and consistently explains the large structure of human culture and choices throughout history. Not from just this 'civilisation' we have but in the context of all human tribes.
The alien perspective if you will :).

edit: changed "very faulty" to "a structural collapsing" and added this:
It must be hard to get your head around this.
I advise to put your civilisation tribe in perspective, to realise that there were very many more tribes througout the past and there are still some tribes left, fighting against the encroaching 'civilisation'.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 03:37:46 PM by nanning »

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: September 30, 2019, 04:34:36 PM »
If I look at the attached aerial photo of an uncontacted tribe in the Amazon, I see no houses. No families and thus no fathers in the family-sense. I see humans living all intimately together in small group. I see no rich or poor people. No army. No ownership of land/water and living nature; this is living with nature. These are humans like you and me, but with a different culture. All babies are born alike.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 06:29:40 PM by nanning »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1029 on: September 30, 2019, 04:38:42 PM »
How "uncontacted" are those uncontacted humans? I hear a lot of them have had contact and decided "Thanks but no thanks!".

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: September 30, 2019, 06:28:21 PM »
That's what I think Tom. I'm not certain of their 'contactness', perhaps some anthropologists?

In a recent Guardian article, an Amazon tribes' chief had no good things to say about civilisation.
e.g. "we only eat when everyone has to eat". The photo below is examplary of their loathing of civilisation.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1031 on: October 04, 2019, 09:58:30 AM »
Matt Taibi, IMO one of the best journalists alive today:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: October 07, 2019, 09:17:40 PM »
Trump Floats Idea of His Own News Network
https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/03/trump-proposes-creating-own-news-network-025988

President Donald Trump on Thursday proposed starting a news network to counter one of his favorite media targets.

“CNN is a voice that really seems to be the voice out there and it’s a terrible thing for our country,” Trump said, diverging from his speech on protecting Medicare for seniors at an event in The Villages, Fla. “We ought to start our own network and put some real news out there, because they are so bad for our country.”

“We’re looking at that. We should do something about it, too,” he added. “Put some really talented people and get a real voice out there, not a voice that's fake.”

It’s not the first time the president has floated the idea of a state-run news agency as an alternative to what he deems the “enemy of the people.”

Trump has previously suggested in a tweet the creation of a “Worldwide Network to show the World the way we really are” ... (aka Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda)

----------------------------

Hannity & Tucker Carlson are vying for Goebbels' old job, Reich Minister of Propaganda.

----------------------------

---------------------------

The Difference Between Nixon and Trump is Fox News
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/10/7/20899169/geraldo-rivera-sean-hannity-fox-watergate-trump-nixon-conspiracy-theories

On Tuesday night, Fox News correspondent Geraldo Rivera spoke to Fox News host Sean Hannity, on Fox News, about the role Fox News would play in protecting President Donald Trump from impeachment.

“You know, if it wasn’t [for] your show, Sean, they would destroy him absolutely,” Rivera told Hannity, who, when not hosting his television and radio shows, informally advises Trump. “You are the difference between Donald J. Trump and Richard Nixon.”

--------------------
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #1033 on: October 08, 2019, 10:12:47 AM »
Matt Taibi, IMO one of the best journalists alive today:

I like Taibbi, but why don't you post something he actually wrote, instead of a TV show about him ?

Also, if you think he is the "one of the best journalists alive" couldn't you at least spell his name right ?
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: October 09, 2019, 06:31:03 AM »
Tomdispatch is a site worth reading, if only for Engelhardt's introductions to the articles.

" Donald Trump was always the symptom, not the cause. He was the suicide bomber whose way into the White House was paved by twenty-first-century Washington. Now, he’s there -- beyond there -- with that same heartland crew still supporting him, roof collapsing or not. All in all, it’s quite a spectacle and who likes such things (especially when focused on him) more than... you-know-who. Today, TomDispatch regular Andrew Bacevich considers the latest chapter of that very extravaganza and what to make of the impeachment spectacle that has swept us all away. What “high crimes and misdemeanors” actually lie behind it? Or, to be more precise, what high crimes and misdemeanors put The Donald in the White House in the first place?"

This is the introduction to Bacevich on impeachment. Bacevich expands on an article by Moyn in the Guardian:

Moyn:

"For liberal and conservative centrists, inured to taking turns in power for decades, Trump’s rise in the Republican party and his success in beating Hillary Clinton within the appalling rules of the American game was the real affront."

"the centrists are deploying a transparent strategy to return to power. Trump’s shambolic presidency somehow seems less unsavoury than the fact that neither of these sides are able to admit how massively his election signified the failure of their policies, from endless war to economic inequality."

"Centrists simply want to return to the status quo interrupted by Trump, their reputations laundered by their courageous opposition to his mercurial reign, and their policies restored to credibility. Meanwhile, rightwing Republicans hope to benefit from his ascendancy, doubling down on tax cuts. No wonder progressives’ greatest fear is allowing the first group to return to the failed policies that produced Trump himself, and the second to capitalise on his rise to entrench their rule indefinitely."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/26/impeachment-america-political-crisis-donald-trump-centrists

Bacevich amplifies:

"The effort to boot the president from office is certain to yield a memorable spectacle ... A de facto collaboration between Trump, those who despise him, and those who despise his critics all but guarantees that this story will dominate the news, undoubtedly for months to come."

"The looming threat posed by climate change, much talked about of late, will proceed all but unchecked. For those of us preoccupied with America’s role in the world, the obsolete assumptions and habits undergirding what’s still called “national security” will continue to evade examination. Our endless wars will remain endless and pointless."

" the most probable: while the House will impeach, the Senate will decline to convict."

"while Trump is being pursued, it’s you, my fellow Americans, who are really being played. The unspoken purpose of impeachment is not removal, but restoration. The overarching aim is not to replace Trump with Mike Pence -- the equivalent of exchanging Groucho for Harpo. No, the object of the exercise is to return power to those who created the conditions that enabled Trump to win the White House in the first place."

"These centrists share a common worldview. They believe in the universality of freedom as defined and practiced within the United States. They believe in corporate capitalism operating on a planetary scale. They believe in American primacy, with the United States presiding over a global order as the sole superpower. They believe in “American global leadership,” which they define as primarily a military enterprise."

"Trump’s critics speak with one voice in demanding accountability. Yet virtually no one has been held accountable for the pain, suffering, and loss inflicted by the architects of the Iraq War and the Great Recession. Why is that? "

"What are the real crimes? Who are the real criminals?"

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/176613/

sidd

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: October 09, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »
Fake European Parliament Magazine EPToday Filled with RT Content
https://dw.com/en/fake-european-parliament-magazine-eptoday-filled-with-rt-content/a-50749946

A website and its social media accounts aimed at members of European Parliament is nearly a copy of Russia's RT, an EU report has found. Just 0.14% of content was actually from European lawmakers.

A news website claiming to be the "monthly news magazine for the European Parliament" takes much of its content taken from the RT news outlet, according to a report from an EU task force.

EP Today – short for European Parliament Today – says it is "designed only for the MEPs to write articles about issues which they think are currently important and need attention of all their colleagues and other policymakers."

Not just the name, also the logo — a ring of 12-stars on a blue background — creates the impression that the website is directly run by the European Parliament, said EUvsDisinfo, a project of the European External Action Service's East StratCom Task Force.

According to EUvsDisinfo, EP Today "uses the name of the European Parliament in a misleading way and without any legal authorization."

... These novel disinformation campaigns exploit the increased information overload experienced by people in the digital world. They flood the information space with a multitude of lies, half-truths or absurd news. It is not at all a question of disseminating new knowledge or arguments about an event or aspect. Rather, it is a matter of unsettling citizens as information consumers by intensified "information noise." Facts that have been confirmed are lost or devalued as one of several possibilities.

This is not an extension of pluralism of opinion through balanced and objective information that is acceptable in the sense of a free public sphere, but rather illegitimate interference.

https://dw.com/en/russian-propaganda-a-multitude-of-lies-and-absurd-news/a-48748904

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: October 14, 2019, 07:11:02 AM »
A thoughtful look at bridging divides: the practise of "generous listening"

"the essential step is “replacing judgment with curiosity,” "

“The value is that you can staunchly disagree with someone, but also humanize the person.”

“People don’t change their minds, they just change their opinion about the other side,”

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/10/13/america-cultural-divide-red-state-blue-state-228111

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: October 17, 2019, 11:31:48 PM »
Johnstone: Truth is a Kremlin talking point

"Any criticism of the status quo which cannot be labeled false or misleading gets labeled a “talking point” of Russia/Putin/the Kremlin "

"Facts are a Kremlin talking point, and anyone who believes them is Russian. Facts are Russian. Truth is Russian. Skepticism is Russian. Asking questions is Russian. Dissent is Russian. Revolution is Russian."

https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2019/10/17/truth-is-a-kremlin-talking-point/

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: October 18, 2019, 01:42:59 AM »
Savage at jacobin on media in the USA: things that cannot be said

"The average cable news pundit might despise Donald Trump for Crimes Against the Republic but ultimately has little personal stake in their outcome (save perhaps benefiting from a larcenous tax cut or two). By the same token, most people writing in marquee opinion sections are probably served just fine by America’s morally bankrupt health-care regime and aren’t drowning in student debt or falling asleep worrying about how they’re going to pay the rent."

"elite members of the pundit class are simply guardians of orthodoxy; the self-appointed gatekeepers of what it’s permissible to discuss, who it’s permissible to criticize, and which narrative constitutes the approved script by which all of us are destined to live."

"At best, elite punditry is an exercise in confirmation bias and groupthink; a media palace guard that exists to discipline public opinion and ensure that received wisdom about the desirable and the possible is obstinately maintained. At its worst, it’s little more than the narcissistic projection of a tiny, privileged class that mistakes its shared beliefs and interests for objective reality."

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2019/10/mainstream-media-punditry-elite-bernie-sanders-cable-news

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: October 21, 2019, 08:47:23 AM »
Savage again at jacobin:  no Damascus moment, just gradual disillusionment

"I didn’t acquire radical politics simply through reading Marx in college (though it certainly aided the process). Nor did I become irredeemably frustrated with liberalism merely by absorbing some abstract argument about its flaws. I didn’t have a Road to Damascus revelation while thumbing through some volume by Chomsky or David Harvey."

"No, that instinct owes much more to watching Barack Obama summon forth a tidal wave of popular goodwill, then proceed to invite the same old cadre of apparatchiks and financiers back into the White House to carry on business as usual despite the most punishing economic crisis since the Great Depression; to seeing the “war on terror” become a permanent fixture of the global landscape long after its original architects had been booted from the halls of power, courtesy of supposedly enlightened humanitarians; to witnessing a potentially monumental hunger for change be sacrificed on the altar of managerialism and technocratic respectability."

"The animating mission here is less to combat injustice than to efficiently manage discontent"

"Etiquette above equality, manners before morals, procedure ahead of program, conciliation over conflict, private vice over public good"

https://jacobinmag.com/2018/12/liberalism-theory-practice-obama-trudeau

sidd

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #1040 on: October 21, 2019, 12:31:48 PM »
Christopher Booker is dead. Long live Sarah Knapton?

A Climate Feedback takedown of an article by The Daily Telegraph's alleged "Science Editor", Sarah Knapton:

https://climatefeedback.org/evaluation/telegraph-article-misleads-with-false-balance-mixing-in-unsupported-and-inaccurate-claims-sarah-knapton/

This article in The Telegraph attempts to discuss the science of observed global warming and the factors responsible. However, mixed in with some accurate factual statements are claims that give readers the impression that the answers are unknown, and climate science is “up for debate”.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: October 26, 2019, 05:38:46 PM »
I Watched Fox News Every Day for 44 Months – Here's What I Learned
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/oct/25/fox-news-watching-what-i-learned

- Fox News Mainstreams White Supremacy

The most brilliant propagandist technique will yield no success unless one fundamental principle is borne in mind constantly - it must confine itself to a few points and repeat them over and over. Propaganda must facilitate the displacement of aggression by specifying the targets for hatred.

- Joseph Goebbels

In October 2018, Fox News became a wailing siren on immigration, claiming that the US was under “invasion” by undocumented immigrants – specifically, a group of Central American migrants traveling (mostly walking) over 1,000 miles to the US-Mexico border.

In one week, Fox ran nearly eight hours of content on the then distant caravan. Fox & Friends started nearly every morning with anti-immigrant hysteria, eventually suggesting the US take military action to “protect our sovereignty” from families fleeing gang violence and endemic poverty.

The very day after that comment aired on Fox & Friends, a white supremacist murdered 11 Jewish worshippers at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, because he blamed Jews for helping the “invaders” in the caravan.

- At Fox News, Opinion is King – Not News

There was no point in seeking to convert the intellectuals. For intellectuals would never be converted and would anyway always yield to the stronger, and this will always be "the man in the street." Arguments must therefore be crude, clear and forcible, and appeal to emotions and instincts, not the intellect. Truth is unimportant and entirely subordinate to tactics and psychology.

- Joseph Goebbels

... Fox & Friends’ combination of sloppy news coverage and fierce rightwing opinion is a microcosm of how much Fox values each side of the network.

Take, for example, the legitimate journalist and former chief news anchor Shepard Smith: after he had a dramatic on-air feud with the opinion kingpin Tucker Carlson, both Fox News’ CEO and its president reportedly threatened to take Smith off the air if he criticized Carlson again.

A few weeks later, Smith resigned from the network he had renewed his contract with last year. The sudden end of his 23-year Fox career shows what happens at that network when news and opinion irreconcilably collide. But on Fox & Friends, as with most of the rest of Fox, the “news” knows its place.

- Fox News Editorially Taints Other News Media Outlets. 

A media system wants ostensible diversity that conceals an actual uniformity

- Joseph Goebbels

One of the ways Fox News corrodes politics is by influencing the larger conversation; in fact, you may be essentially consuming Fox propaganda without knowing it.

... My colleagues Sharon Kann and Julie Tulbert examined an entire year of evening news abortion coverage on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News and found that Fox aired 94% of all three networks’ statements about abortion, and Fox was wrong 85% of the time.

This means that when CNN and MSNBC discuss abortion, they are often just responding to Fox News misinformation (while still managing to be wrong 67% and 40% of the time, respectively).

- Fox News ‘is about defending our viewers from the people who hate them’

... Propaganda must facilitate the displacement of aggression by specifying the targets for hatred.

- Joseph Goebbels

On a number of issues, from recent (false) allegations of anti-conservative censorship on social media to the tried-and-true (and misleading) trope of “Dems are coming for your guns”, Fox News consistently tells viewers that there are hostile groups that want to revoke their rights, undermine their values, and cause them harm.

And having identified Trump, reverentially, as “our president”, Fox staff and guests alike say that any attack on Trump means Fox viewers could be next – a mutation of a longstanding culture of conservative victimhood, amplified bigly by the president himself.

- Fox News Poisons Viewers’ Minds

... This is the secret of propaganda: Those who are to be persuaded by it should be completely immersed in the ideas of the propaganda, without ever noticing that they are being immersed in it.

- Joseph Goebbels

People who watch Fox News with an open mind can find themselves sucked into a destructive and alienating lifestyle. ... thanks to Fox News, “their toxic anger and resentment is slowly becoming their entire identity”.

.... the president’s favorite show, Fox & Friends, encapsulates the totality of the rotten network’s inherent conflicts and contradictions.

It shows how news and opinion is blurred – but opinion wins – and the lengths the network goes to ensure a devoted audience. Fox is a shameless counterfeit of a news organization, and Fox & Friends leads the fraud bright and early every morning.

... We shall reach our goal, when we have the power to laugh as we destroy, as we smash, whatever was sacred to us as tradition, as education, and as human affection

- Joseph Goebbels

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: October 26, 2019, 07:04:46 PM »
Wow vox, thank you very much for that!

Have I got this right?:
To completely immerse people in clear repetitive easy targets to hate/dislike. In 2019 we have extensive personalised (social) media that is being abused to condition people, for them to stay in a bubble(-profile). This bubble can be shifted and manipulated. People are not rational beings. Groupbehaviour is strong. There is much fear.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: October 26, 2019, 08:03:01 PM »
That's a BINGO!!!

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: October 26, 2019, 11:08:09 PM »
angryarab at consortiumnews: US media is the voice of the war lobby

" When Trump acts tough in foreign policy, he is praised ...  If he shows softness in foreign policy, he is fiercely criticized for harming U.S. national security interests."

"The U.S. media is now the voice of the war lobby and they wish to have the U.S. maintain a military force in almost all Arab countries.  And once an American occupation starts, the media does not want it to end."

"The notion that the U.S. led an effort of Arabs and Turks fighting side by side was a propaganda ploy. And the media highly exaggerated the role of YPG and U.S. troops in defeating ISIS"

"The U.S. was in Syria for reasons that have nothing to do with the Kurds, and the U.S. media exhibit great hypocrisy when they again feign humanitarian concern for people in Syria — Arabs or Kurdish.  U.S. media have warned against “unreliable” and brutal Syrian rebels fighting with Turkey: but those are none other than the Free Syrian Army which U.S. politicians and journalists alike had promoted. "

"The U.S. media are proving to be more eager for war and military intervention than the military establishment itself.  They exhibit great concern for the plight of empire precisely because they are an actual arm of empire."

https://consortiumnews.com/2019/10/23/the-angry-arab-trump-the-turkish-invasion-of-northern-syria/

sidd

blumenkraft

« Reply #1045 on: October 27, 2019, 09:14:03 AM »
A great history lesson with a lot of details. A must watch!

Joe Rogan Experience - Edward Snowden

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1046 on: October 27, 2019, 10:40:14 AM »
FREE JULIAN

https://www.theautomaticearth.com/2019/10/assange-is-the-only-one-to-abide-by-the-law/

Assange isn't fighting the law. The law is fighting Julian Assange.

Punishing Julian makes a mockery of democracy.
Terry
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 11:27:58 AM by TerryM »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: October 27, 2019, 10:53:03 AM »
FREE ASSANGE

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/10/assange-in-court/

Craig Murray's observations of the last public trial Julian will receive in Britain.

If your favorite news source has not been advocating for Julian's release, it's time to find a new source.
Terry
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 11:25:32 AM by TerryM »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: October 27, 2019, 11:22:12 AM »
FREE JULIAN ASSANGE

https://consortiumnews.com/2019/10/25/john-pilger-did-this-happen-in-the-home-of-the-magna-carta/

John Pilger is also a witness to this growing malignancy that has already destroyed the rule of law in three "democracies".

When we cheered as "The Law" violated Trump's right to Attorney/Client confidentiality we should have realized that our own heros rights would soon be violated.
Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: October 27, 2019, 11:46:17 AM »
Assange, a hero of truth and the people: Tortured and abused in 'plain sight'. In the EU.
A fighter for human rights got his own human rights canceled because his information 'shamed' the very powerful. He gave a view outside of the by media created populace 'bubble'. The larger populace must not see and realise the truth.
Assange, a nice and simple 'target' for others to direct their anger at. Create a bubble of lies and distortions etc. Killed by propaganda.

The very powerful really have a free hand to 'fix' the scales of Lady Justice. In plain sight.

FREE JULIAN ASSANGE!