Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Brexit...  (Read 24374 times)

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1146
  • Likes Given: 806
Re: Brexit...
« Reply #300 on: February 07, 2020, 03:23:45 PM »
Yet again?  ;D
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

blumenkraft

• Young ice
  • Fans of Hans Ø Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1522
  • Likes Given: 2378
« Reply #301 on: June 06, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »
Still not done!

#justsaying
“I’m an introvert. I’m just different that’s all. I’m so sorry. I don’t have a gun. I don’t do that stuff... All I was trying to do was to become better. I’ll do it... You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful. And I love you. Try to forgive me. I’m sorry.”

Elijah McClain

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 19, 2020, 08:05:33 AM »
So where are we now? Is there any progress made towards a Brexit?

The transition period ends 31. Jan. 2021. The corona crisis delayed the progress of a schedule that was tight from the beginning. Two of eleven months lost. Six months left.

There is no attempt made towards an extension.

Can the British government hire all those 50k customs officials needed in time? Hell no!

BTW this will be a way bigger workforce than the whole EU bureaucracy is.

The government tells companies to prepare for a no-deal Brexit. But how could they do so, no one knows the rules for post-EU Britain. What replaces the legislation now regulated by the EU? There is nothing.

Britain has stopped obeying (some) EU rules, even though they are still a member as of yet. Not too clever, they are actively weakening their negotiation position by doing so.

Will the European Trumpistas trump Trump?
“I’m an introvert. I’m just different that’s all. I’m so sorry. I don’t have a gun. I don’t do that stuff... All I was trying to do was to become better. I’ll do it... You all are phenomenal. You are beautiful. And I love you. Try to forgive me. I’m sorry.”

Elijah McClain

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 24, 2020, 03:10:09 PM »
He just wants to stay a European.  ???

Boris Johnson's father to apply for French citizenship

Link >> https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/22/boris-johnson-s-father-to-apply-for-french-citizenship

Elijah McClain

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #304 on: June 29, 2020, 10:44:11 AM »
Brexit is done. UK will not ask for extension of negotiation thus there will be no serious negotiations anymore - time is out. EU has gotten its money, the rights for EU citicens in UK and a contract about Irish boarder, Brexit done from EU side. We will see how much we can rely on a contract from UK government, since they can not remember the words in that contract anymore: Where is that tax boarder now? Nobody will feel it or see it but it is firmly there... 

But all that does not matter. There will be a show and some drama but Corona makes more impact. Boris can rely on the fact that complex details are ignored and any hard times will be forgotten soon.
Source: https://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2020-06/brexit-verhandlungen-grossbritannien-eu-boris-johnson-freihandelsabkommen

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 03, 2020, 07:57:27 AM »
Holy cow, the UK just stole a billion from Venezuela.  >:(

UK court denies Venezuela's Maduro access to gold in bank vault

Link >> https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/uk-court-denies-venezuela-maduro-access-gold-bank-vault-200702105839889.html

Elijah McClain

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 04, 2020, 10:12:30 AM »
Is this is why the UK became a thief?

Brexit will have cost the UK more than £200 billion in lost economic growth by the end of this year — a figure which almost eclipses the total amount the UK will have paid towards the EU budget over the past 47 years.

According to research by Bloomberg Economics, the cost of the UK's vote to leave has already reached £130 billion, with a further £70 billion likely to be added by the end of 2020.

Link >> https://outline.com/YPmPGy

Elijah McClain

Paddy

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #307 on: July 08, 2020, 11:11:00 AM »
@Blumenkraft,

I'm no fan of Brexit nor the current UK administration, but the gold isn't being taken for use by Britain.  It's a frozen account, not a stolen one.

And speaking of administrations that I'm not a fan of, did you know that Venezuela has the highest rate of homicide by security forces in the world ?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_by_country

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 08, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »
Sorry, Paddy, but i can't make a logical connection to why the homicide rate in any given country would be grounds for withholding (stealing? semantics?) money.

If you want to open a "Police violence in Venezuala" thread i'm the very last person standing in your way.

Elijah McClain

Paddy

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 08, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »
Sorry, Paddy, but i can't make a logical connection to why the homicide rate in any given country would be grounds for withholding (stealing? semantics?) money.

The issue is that the legitimacy of the current administration in Venezuela is in doubt.  See here for more of the dubiousness at the last election: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Venezuelan_presidential_election

Extrajudicial killings by death squads to suppress opposition is part of that story: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-security-un/killings-torture-still-going-on-in-venezuela-u-n-rights-chief-idUSKCN1VU1IB

blumenkraft

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 08, 2020, 12:21:32 PM »
Paddy, i'm an anti-interventionist in this case. I'm aware some nations 'don't recognize' the democratic election results but i don't recognize their non-recognition. ;)

Britain withholding this money is arbitrary; a mallicious act. I really don't think stealing is too much of a strong wording. But i regress it if you feel uncomfortable with it. The news is out there, everyone can make up their own mind.

Elijah McClain

Paddy

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 08, 2020, 12:31:03 PM »
Paddy, i'm an anti-interventionist in this case. I'm aware some nations 'don't recognize' the democratic election results but i don't recognize their non-recognition. ;)

Britain withholding this money is arbitrary; a mallicious act. I really don't think stealing is too much of a strong wording. But i regress it if you feel uncomfortable with it. The news is out there, everyone can make up their own mind.

The fact that we're arguing about this sanction on a thread about Brexit when sanctions were explicitly called for by the European Parliament among others is rather amusing :-)

Here's a map of which countries do and don't recognise the results of this less than democratic election, btw: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2018_Venezuelan_presidential_election_recognition_map.svg

ajouis

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #312 on: July 08, 2020, 02:17:04 PM »

The fact that we're arguing about this sanction on a thread about Brexit when sanctions were explicitly called for by the European Parliament among others is rather amusing :-)

Here's a map of which countries do and don't recognise the results of this less than democratic election, btw: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2018_Venezuelan_presidential_election_recognition_map.svg
Sanctions only if the treaty was unlawfully broken, otherwise a return to wto style trade and repayments for the money already engaged, which is normal after breaking a contract, not equal to just withholding someone's sovereign money on a basis that is not legal under international law, it would have been if sanctions had been voted prior, but alas

Paddy

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 08, 2020, 02:47:48 PM »
Sanctions only if the treaty was unlawfully broken, otherwise a return to wto style trade and repayments for the money already engaged, which is normal after breaking a contract, not equal to just withholding someone's sovereign money on a basis that is not legal under international law, it would have been if sanctions had been voted prior, but alas

What treaty are you referring to?  There have been escalating EU sanctions in place since 2017: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/venezuela/

Also, as the originally linked Al Jazeera article pointed out, the issue is that there are two opposing figures both claiming the title of president of Venezuela, and they are asking for opposite things to be done with that money.  And since the British gvt (like every EU gvt, among many others) does not recognise Maduro as president of Venezuela, the judiciary aren't going to give him Venezuela's money.

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1146
  • Likes Given: 806
« Reply #314 on: July 08, 2020, 02:58:30 PM »
While Maduro was actually elected.

IIRC there is a Venezuela thread somewhere below where all the non brexit stuff could go.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

ajouis

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #315 on: July 08, 2020, 03:35:20 PM »
paddy as it was a Brexit thread I assumed you were talking about europeans sanctions vis a vis the uk, only in this context does my above comment apply

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3162
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #316 on: July 10, 2020, 05:10:47 PM »
paddy as it was a Brexit thread I assumed you were talking about europeans sanctions vis a vis the uk, only in this context does my above comment apply
Look mate, this 'ere is the brexit fred. Those bloody EUcrats are gonna put a big tax on our exports of cheese and we will have to pay more for their bloody oranges, and pay a fortune to drink English beer in benidorm. How much more can a true blue Honky Englishman take from these bloody furriners?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

BeeKnees

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #317 on: July 10, 2020, 08:50:02 PM »
The EU document on the impact of brexit with or without a deal is a tough read.

Especially for the quitlings.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/com_2020_324_2_communication_from_commission_to_inst_en_0.pdf