Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Off Topic  (Read 648 times)

cesium62

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 1
Off Topic
« on: September 25, 2019, 06:23:51 AM »
This is the thread where one should discuss whether or not a posting to an Arctic Sea Ice thread is off topic.  Please remain on topic in this thread.  However, if you do go off topic, this is the thread to discuss that.

sidd

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 355
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Off Topic
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 07:22:54 AM »
Does the barber shave himself ? What is the class of all classes that do not belong to themselves ? All Cretans are liars ....

sidd

pleun

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 08:09:12 AM »
Think that has nothing to do with the topic Sidd.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 719
  • Likes Given: 472
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 10:23:18 AM »
Didn't we already have the meaningless chatter thread for this? Maybe I should sticky it?
Il faut comparer, comparer, comparer, et cultiver notre jardin

sark

• Frazil ice
  • not a scientist
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 174
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 10:26:06 AM »
We should make it so anyone can change the topic
I am not a scientist

be cause

• Grease ice
  • Citizenship .. a Lurker gets asylum
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 11:57:17 AM »
but not on Wednesdays .. :)
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 ...

echoughton

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 12:36:34 PM »
Any ice that is left over from summer and then re-freezes is multi year ice. I keep hearing that MYI is almost gone. Well, how in HAITI does 4 million sq km of ice ...mostly in the CAB...which seems to go year upon year at NOT MELTING....be considered NOT MYI?? Does it export around and disappear in different places during the summer? I am really confused

be cause

• Grease ice
  • Citizenship .. a Lurker gets asylum
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 217
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 01:46:24 PM »
how can the ice which formed during the last winter/spring be called multi-year ice before it is even 12 months old ? Most of the ice surviving atm fits this description . Ice undre 2 years old is also not multi-year  . Multi is usually understood to mean many . 1 and 2 are not usually considered to be many
  There is of course older ice which we can all agree is multi-year .. but it forms a small proportion of the ice currently remaining . .. b.c.
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 ...

binntho

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 278
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 03:59:47 PM »
how can the ice which formed during the last winter/spring be called multi-year ice before it is even 12 months old ? Most of the ice surviving atm fits this description . Ice undre 2 years old is also not multi-year  . Multi is usually understood to mean many . 1 and 2 are not usually considered to be many
  There is of course older ice which we can all agree is multi-year .. but it forms a small proportion of the ice currently remaining . .. b.c.

Perhaps it's like with plants - annuals, biennials, and perennials.
because a thing is eloquently expressed it should not be taken to be as necessarily true
St. Augustine, Confessions V, 6

gandul

• New ice
  • de verdad
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 04:19:55 PM »
MYI is ice that has survived two melting seasons at least.
The rest is second year ice and forming now is first year ice

Any ice that is left over from summer and then re-freezes is multi year ice. I keep hearing that MYI is almost gone. Well, how in HAITI does 4 million sq km of ice ...mostly in the CAB...which seems to go year upon year at NOT MELTING....be considered NOT MYI?? Does it export around and disappear in different places during the summer? I am really confused
No me lo trago

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 04:32:27 PM »

Per the work of A-Team in the Test space thread (May 23, 2019), we can see that the ice around the North Pole in May 2019 was near the Chukchi 6 months earlier.  Some of that ice had just formed ('born' between September and November 2018) or formed the year before.  (The ice has continued to move since May, but not as much, I think.)  Therefore, most of the ice at the North Pole today is 1st or 2nd year ice, and not MYI, per Wikipedia, or FYI and MYI, per NSIDC.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 657
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 05:01:05 PM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 05:06:58 PM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

kassy

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 11:07:49 PM »
Long ago i walked the Camino de Santiago. From St.Jean in France straight into the alps. Then it takes about a month to go all the way. Then we took the train back from Santiago and the train crosses the trail at many points so in an hour and a half you see last week, three hours is two weeks ago and in the late afternoon you are almost a month back.

It really made me appreciate how the world was different when the horse was the quickest way of travel.

I have also been watching the ice for a while. Back in the early 2000 days the best graph was Hycom and you would see the old ice move around.

Now most of that is gone and that is just over a period i actually lived in and remember.

That video gets me every time i watch it.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Rodius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 04:47:23 AM »
Does the barber shave himself ? What is the class of all classes that do not belong to themselves ? All Cretans are liars ....

sidd

Are you a Cretan?

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »

sidd

Are you a Cretan?

Sidd might be a Cretan, but definitely not a cretin.