Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: IJIS  (Read 2659643 times)

echoughton

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 82
Re: IJIS
« Reply #5050 on: October 04, 2017, 12:26:28 PM »
Juan,

If I understand what you say, volume loss has been much greater than extent loss? You say ~50% off what volume was 30 years ago? I have questions: If I have an ice cube in my drink that is 50% smaller than one in a glass next to it, that smaller ice cube, in same warm conditions, should melt out exponentially faster than the larger one, yes? If so much ice has been lost up there, how did the ice extent  recover so well from its horrid early season state during the height of the melt season? I need help here, but did not even the PIOMASS show a decent recovery this summer too? It doesn't make sense to me all these claims I constantly hear about volume loss compared to extent.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5051 on: October 04, 2017, 12:47:26 PM »
I would prefer that there be a group effort. I don't mind checking in as a backup, but if any of you guys can get here first, have at it.
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #5052 on: October 04, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »
I would prefer that there be a group effort. I don't mind checking in as a backup, but if any of you guys can get here first, have at it.

I think this is the best approach. Whoever gets first into the thread and see that the daily posting is still missing can post the daily numbers in text or chart form. I think this should work fine.

@Echougton, this belongs in the questions thread, but in short: as the melting season becomes stronger and longer, and the freezing season weaker and weaker, the arctic has less ice extent and volume each September compared to 30 years ago.  But then the ice, some ice, comes back in the winter, and the cycle begins anew.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #5053 on: October 04, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »
Tigertown thanks for your contribution.

Personally, and for what it's worth, I agree with keeping this thread alive

Nothing's dying, the discussion is simply moved to the 2017 sea ice area and extent data thread. I think that's best, to concentrate all the SIE and SIA data in one place, and then open a new thread every year.

See you there. Jim Pettit has already posted an update + a copy of Espen's graph.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith