Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Holocene Extinction  (Read 42702 times)

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO2, 35 KWh/wk,130L H2O/wk, No heating
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 10974
Re: The Holocene Extinction
« Reply #450 on: January 30, 2020, 02:02:21 PM »
^^
Thank you for that gerontocrat.

Shamen, spirits, survival: how Claudia Andujar fought for the Yanomami tribe

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jan/29/claudia-andujar-photography-yanomami-brazil-jair-bolsonaro
  by Oliver Basciano

An interesting article describing a period when Claudia, a photographer, lived for some time with the tribe. Beautiful photo's.

In the context of upthread discussion, these excerpts caught my attention:

"Claudia took her time to get to know us; she slept in our shabono,” he says, referring to the ring-shaped wooden buildings that the Yanomami live in communally."

"Elsewhere, the Yanomami are shown sympathetically, romanticised perhaps, with no hint to what some conservative anthropologists claim to be a violent culture inherent to the tribe."

"Traditionally, Yanomami do not give each other names, referring only to their relationships with one another."

I post this here because three days ago, Terry mentioned civilisation behaviour by the pre-contacted tribe from the article above:

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2305.msg246552.html#msg246552

This Guardian article gives me another and very different and non-conservative view.
It is easy to try to counter my research with such random unscientific conservative examples. Then it's up to me to find out what's going on without a having a link. Sorry, but I find that tiresome and unfair.

I don't need and I don't want to explain my research to people who are not interested.
I had thought that losing distorted views is very important to people who want to see the truth. Apparently not. This truth-loving goes not very deep in my view. Especially where the truth implies that your culture is very bad and insane. That's a truth that intelligent truth-people don't want to see it seems.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
   Simple: minimize your possessions and be free and kind    It's just a mindset.       Refugees welcome

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 673
  • Likes Given: 499
« Reply #451 on: January 31, 2020, 11:08:22 AM »
Warming Swiss rivers threaten fish stocks

Swiss rivers are warming as the volume of glacial meltwater decreases, according to a study. Researchers warn that the phenomenon is threatening fish stocks and is likely to get worse in the coming years.

The report, published in the journal Hydrology and Earth System Sciencesexternal link, measured both the melting of glaciers over the course of 40 years and the temperature of rivers they discharge into. They found that rivers had warmed by an average of 0.33°C every decade since 1980, and by 0.37°C per decade over the past 20 years.

They also observed a 3% average decrease in meltwater discharge over the past 40 years as glaciers shrink. The trend has accelerated in the past two decades with a 10% decrease in glacial meltwater discharge into rivers.

“We were surprised to find that Swiss rivers are warming at 95% of the rate of the surrounding air,” he saidexternal link. “The conventional wisdom was that the melting of snow and glaciers and the fact that this water then flowed into lakes were counteracting the effect of warmer air on the Swiss plateau. That’s no longer the case.”

Thresholds
“There’s a commonly held belief that one or two degrees of warming won’t make much difference,” he added.

“The truth is that these ecosystems aren’t resilient enough to cope when the temperature exceeds certain thresholds several times a year, especially in summer. A few degrees’ warming means we’re going to see those thresholds surpassed much more often.”

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/sci-tech/shrinking-glaciers_warming-swiss-rivers-threaten-fish-stocks/45530254

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 02, 2020, 10:15:54 PM »
Koalas found dead on Australia logging plantation

Dozens of koalas have been found dead or injured at a timber plantation in the Australian state of Victoria, sparking an investigation by officials.

Blue gum trees - an important koala habitat - were harvested from the plantation in December, leaving only a few isolated stands of trees.

Some koalas had starved to death in the remaining trees. Others were apparently killed by bulldozers.

About 80 surviving koalas have been removed and are being cared for.

The deaths come after tens of thousands of koalas were killed in the bushfires that have ravaged Australia. The marsupial is listed as "vulnerable" by Australia's Environment Ministry.

'Australia should be ashamed'
After the plantation was logged in December, reports of hundreds of starving koalas came in, environmental group Friends of the Earth Australia said.

"People apparently witnessed the bulldozing of many dead koalas into slash piles," it said.

The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning said it was prepared to prosecute over the incident.

more sad on:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51346637
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Florifulgurator

• Frazil ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 104
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #453 on: February 05, 2020, 03:29:45 AM »
Re: nerve gas

Seek medical help.

sidd

Damn good advice!
I inhaled a huge quantity of R-12 that had passed through an Oxy-Acetylene flame. The phosgene, a WW1 nerve gas, left me unable to scale a ladder for >a week.
The doctors couldn't do much about it, but they did make me very conscious of the danger the next times I was welding R-12 systems.

It's not impossible that it is responsible for my present problems, though the doctors think not.

Stay Healthy
Terry

There are easier ways to get a dose of phosgene: Burn old impregnated wood (e.g. with Lindane).
Google image search on my avatar image gives "wood". In fact it is the lower part of David Hilbert's tombstone.

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2221
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #454 on: February 07, 2020, 09:28:15 PM »
A report that at last highlights the multiplier effect of interlinked environmental emergencies

Link to download here - https://futureearth.org/publications/our-future-on-earth/

Extract from guardian article below.

Humanity under threat from perfect storm of crises – study
Climate, extreme weather, biodiversity, food and water crises could lead to ‘systemic collapse’
The world is facing a series of interlinked emergencies that are threatening the existence of humans, because the sum of the effects of the crises is much greater than their individual impacts, according to a new global study.

Climate breakdown and extreme weather, species loss, water scarcity and a food production crisis are all serious in themselves, but the combination of all five together is amplifying the risks of each, creating a perfect storm that threatens to engulf humanity unless swift action is taken.

The links among the crises are clear in many cases, but the methods the world has chosen to try to solve them do not take account of these connecting factors. For instance, extreme heatwaves can add to global heating, because they release vast amounts of stored carbon from affected ecosystems, in a feedback loop. It has been seen clearly in the Australian bushfires, which are already contributing significantly to the store of carbon in the atmosphere.

The links do not stop there: as the heatwaves damage natural ecosystems, killing off wildlife and flora, they also lead to greater water scarcity, and in turn damage agriculture. These combined effects exacerbate the harm done to people struggling with food and water shortages, in a vicious cycle.

Faced with these crises in nature individually, it could be possible to fix the problems causing them. But confronted with multiple interlinked emergencies that in combination amplify one another’s impacts, people are facing unprecedented dangers and many communities cannot cope.

The report, which took the form of a survey of 222 leading scientists from 52 countries, conducted by the international sustainability network Future Earth, found that the responses to these emergencies by governments, civil society, business and institutions did not recognise their interlinked nature. Trying to solve the problems individually, without taking account of the “cascading” impacts, was likely to be ineffective, the scientists said.

More than a third of the scientists surveyed said the five crisis types would worsen one another “in ways that might cascade to create global systemic collapse”.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 11, 2020, 08:26:55 PM »
Some background stuff:

Here is some recent stuff...

Himalayan glacier shows evidence of start of Industrial Revolution

Dasuopu -- at 7,200 meters or 23,600 feet above sea level -- is the highest-altitude site in the world where scientists have obtained a climate record from an ice core. Dasuopu is located on Shishapangma, one of the world's 14 tallest mountains, which are all located in the Himalayas.

For this study, the research team analyzed one core taken from Dasuopu in 1997 for 23 trace metals.

The ice cores operate as a sort of timeline, and show new ice forming in layers on the glacier over time. It is possible for researchers to tell almost the precise year a layer of the glacier formed because of environmental clues like snowfall or other known natural or human-made disasters. The ice the researchers evaluated formed between 1499 and 1992, the team determined. Their goal was to see whether human activity had affected the ice in any way, and, if so, when the effects had begun.

Their analysis showed it had: The team found higher-than-natural levels of a number of toxic metals, including cadmium, chromium, nickel and zinc, in the ice starting at around 1780 -- the very start of the Industrial Revolution in the United Kingdom. Those metals are all byproducts of burning coal, a key part of industry at the end of the 18th century and throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.

The researchers found that those metals were likely transported by winter winds, which travel around the globe from west to east.

They also believe it is possible that some of the metals, most notably zinc, came from large-scale forest fires, including those used in the 1800s and 1900s to clear trees to make way for farms.

"What happens is at that time, in addition to the Industrial Revolution, the human population exploded and expanded," Gabrielli said. "And so there was a greater need for agricultural fields -- and, typically, the way they got new fields was to burn forests."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200210153343.htm

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 753
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #456 on: February 11, 2020, 09:42:53 PM »
<snipped>
"What happens is at that time, in addition to the Industrial Revolution, the human population exploded and expanded," Gabrielli said. "And so there was a greater need for agricultural fields -- and, typically, the way they got new fields was to burn forests."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200210153343.htm
Today there is a "greater need" for Giga Factories.

Today we'd clear cut the forest, but only after assuring the community that the ants, insects and fledgling birds have been lovingly removed from their nests - and promising that we'll plant 3 times as many trees as we've destroyed. :)

In half a century these seedlings (should they survive) could be sequestering more carbon than the forest we removed, perhaps in a century they'll have made up for the lean years and perhaps by the 22nd century we'll look back and wonder why none of the "brown fields" were available for restoration.
Terry

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 12, 2020, 03:10:15 PM »
And so much dies with it...the small critters , the fungal networks. All mostly invisible stuff providing free services to the planet until you kill it.

Penguins starving as Antarctica warms: Drones help count the losses

Liu, a doctoral student of robotics at Northeastern, is part of a scientific expedition that has sailed on the Greenpeace vessel Esperanza from Ushuaia, on the Tierra del Fuego archipelago of Argentina, to Elephant Island.

Scientists suspect that the population of the chinstrap penguins that inhabit the island is dwindling. Using drones and machine learning algorithms to speed up the process of counting penguins in large and inaccessible areas, the team is seeking to measure the decline.

Changes within the environment around the peninsula's shores might mean that populations of krill, the small crustaceans that are the chinstrap's favorite food, are moving southward, toward colder locations beyond the reach of chinstrap penguins on Elephant Island.

The chinstraps haven't been counted on Elephant Island since 1971. Now, the team's data suggest that over half of that population is gone. The observations are similar to the falling numbers of chinstrap penguins in other parts of the continent.

The story is different when the team counts the gentoo, another penguin species that lives on the island. Gentoo numbers are on the rise, and that is no surprise. Scientists believe that warmer temperatures allow gentoo penguins, which feed on more than just krill, to thrive farther south.

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-penguins-starving-antarctica-drones-losses.html

Article is worth a read, i just quoted the penguin extinction related bits here.

Interesting place to end up in doing robotics.  :)