Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Holocene Extinction  (Read 194117 times)

castaway

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Biologist Blogger
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: The Holocene Extinction
« Reply #700 on: February 25, 2022, 12:55:30 AM »
Recently, I undertook a deep analysis of biodiversity.
First off, that should be beneficial to remember Wilson and MacArthur when they first theorised about Island Biogeography (1967). Wilson proposed a relation of species versus area in that the bigger the area the more number of species are to be found, for example, there will be a certain number of species in one's city, more species in one's state and even more in one's country, not necessarily a strictly linear correlation. However the relation area vs. species was put upside down and has become an artifact amongst modern biologists.
This relation does not hold true when habitat area is scaled downwards. For example, Atlantic Forest in Brazil is about 90% depleted and yet only two tetrapod species are extinct (`Noronhomys vespuccii' & `Phrynomedusa fimbriata'), even though Wilson had forecast birds should be the most vulnerable group of animals.
Still about both extinct species from Atlantic Forest, they were observed only in a very small area less than 5KM^2. Species which live in very limited areas are not destined to have a great future.
Some other five animal species in Brazil are merely extirpated (locally extinct) and can be found elsewhere in the world, for example shark species. Other species such as scarab `Megadytes ducalis' is undergoing further studies and the chance of it being rediscovered is increasing. Also, rediscovery of mammals is a frequent phenomenon (Fisher & Blomberg).
Five plant species such of the Atlantic Forest are extinct however their biological families are far away from extinction (Myrtaceae & Sapotaceae).
Bird species `Cichlocolaptes mazarbarnetti', last seen in 2005 and `Philydor novaesi', which is considered rare and observed in selectively deforested and secondary forests, last seen in 2011, had their category worsened to extinct after new methodology was adopted by the IUCN Red List.
After analysing IPBES and LPI-WWF reports, and Brazilian MMA, ICMBio and IBGE red lists, it is concluded they are very exaggerated.
Other researchers such as Wrightstone and Eschenbach uncovered that extinction rates of species have decreased in the last century, at least from 1870, although IPBES charts may show otherwise because it groups extinct species by century whereas a decrease in extinction rate is observed when data is grouped by decade.
Finally, IPBES count species that do not have even got a Latin name, thus its prediction of 27000 species becoming extinct every year, and interestingly such estimate reflects Wilson's view, too. Other red lists may count species that have been seen only once or twice and even species which only have got vestiges (for example, a skin bought at some market).
In the last decade, Dornelas and Vellend have produced results that contradict the motivation of conservation parties when it is revealed specie composition are constantly changing (indeed, more change is seen in the marine domain than the terrestrial domain) and that species composition is irrelevant to ecosystem function (ecosystem services are unaffected for those species), such as nutrient cycling and productivity.
Indeed, Leung and Dornelas found that LPI-WWF report that more than 50% of animal species were extinct is another artefact and when less than 3% of vertebrate population with most declines are removed from the calculus, there is an increase in biodiversity globally.
It has been known that higher vegetable production (photosynthesis) equals increased local biodiversity. Vellend affirms that at least in the vegetable domain, there is an increase in local and regional biodiversity but he admits that global biodiversity of plants may be increased or barely declined, although he sees global biodiversity of other domains even less clear as to make such conclusion in the global scale. When taken together, Vellend and Dornelas work suggest that biodiversity composition is changing constantly and that biodiversity has increased, at least in the local and regional scales.
We should now talk a little about insular species, which have indeed suffered most from human (we shall focus on more recent european) colonisations. European colonisation in the last 500 years occurred in pulses and can be linked with description of species extinctions as there are good records of species extinction in some countries for the same period. Species which most suffered were from islands or that are condemned to live in a small area. Introduction of predator species such as rats, snakes, dogs, cats and humans have caused real damage to various species. Most (95% of) extinct species of the Red List are from islands and Australia. Until 2012, only three mammals and six bird species are actually extinct in all continents of the world in the Red List (Eschenbach).
European colonisation can be considered a single event in all world regions and since then species that survived have been adapted to living with modern human selection forces, although humans in general have always caused extinction of species in longer historical and prehistoric times, which, in my opinion, exposes a certain view of the human condition on this planet.
How can conservation efforts be conciliated with species that require conflicting resources (including with humans)? Conservation efforts deemed ecological successes are merely opinions of some groups. The most important species for ecology are those such as bacteria, fungi and photosynthetic species. Top of food chain species are not as important as cockroaches, for example, but these creatures are most impopular.
At least some speciation events are linked to previous extinction events. A more modern view of speciation was developed by Niels Eldredge. That is his punctuated equilibrium theory in which he states that long and monotonous periods of biological stasis (which means species stability) is perforated by rapid evolution of species (transposons are essential elements for this), so evolution is not a gradual process at all.
Lastly, environment pressures benefit certain species and damage others, biodiversity did not decline in all ecological levels or in all areas,
Ecosystem function does not seem to be damaged, in general, by the rapid change in composition observed, especially in the plant and marine domains, despite homogenization of species at local and regional scales.
Finally, the generation of biodiversity obeys the second law of thermodynamics as it increases the entropy generation, and therefore the total entropy of the system (Skene). There is no way we can stop this powerful biological reactor that planet Earth is!
Check my full independent research (in Portuguese) at <biodiversidade [dot] github [dot] io>.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 01:53:29 AM by castaway »

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #701 on: February 25, 2022, 07:35:33 PM »
Hi Castaway,

I admit that I had a hard time parsing your post; English is clearly not your first language- Portugese is. So to better understand what appeared to be a post questioning- or even denying- the existence of a biodiversity crisis, I went to your website, linked in your Bio.

Yes, you are indeed denying that there is a biodiversity crisis, denying that humans cause it, denying that there is a climate crisis caused by anthropogenic emissions and land use changes and advocating that perturbations in the orbit of the sun are in fact to blame for any global warming.

So I shall not waste any more of my time on your posts, and I suggest that other members of the Forum follow suit.

Regards,

Sebastian

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3519
  • Likes Given: 755
« Reply #702 on: February 28, 2022, 02:34:24 PM »
UN Climate Report: 'Atlas of Human Suffering' Worse, Bigger
https://phys.org/news/2022-02-climate-atlas-human-worse-bigger.html

Deadly with extreme weather now, climate change is about to get so much worse. It is likely going to make the world sicker, hungrier, poorer, gloomier and way more dangerous in the next 18 years with an "unavoidable" increase in risks, a new United Nations science report says.

And after that watch out.

Report: https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg2/

The UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report said Monday if human-caused global warming isn't limited to just another couple tenths of a degree, an Earth now struck regularly by deadly heat, fires, floods and drought in future decades will degrade in 127 ways with some being "potentially irreversible."

"The cumulative scientific evidence is unequivocal: Climate change is a threat to human well-being and planetary health," says the major report designed to guide world leaders in their efforts to curb climate change. Delaying cuts in heat-trapping carbon emissions and waiting on adapting to warming's impacts, it warns, "will miss a brief and rapidly closing window of opportunity to secure a liveable and sustainable future for all."

Today's children who may still be alive in the year 2100 are going to experience four times more climate extremes than they do now even with only a few more tenths of a degree of warming over today's heat. But if temperatures increase nearly 2 more degrees Celsius from now (3.4 degrees Fahrenheit) they would feel five times the floods, storms, drought and heat waves, according to the collection of scientists at the IPCC.

More people are going to die each year from heat waves, diseases, extreme weather, air pollution and starvation because of global warming, the report says. Just how many people die depends on how much heat-trapping gas from the burning of coal, oil and natural gas gets spewed into the air and how the world adapts to an ever-hotter world, scientists say.

Since the last version of this impacts panel's report in 2014, "all the risks are coming at us faster than we thought before," said report co-author Maarten van Aalst, a climate scientist for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, mentioning floods, droughts and storms. "More of it will get really bad much sooner than we thought before."

If warming exceeds a few more tenths of a degree, it could lead to some areas becoming uninhabitable, including some small islands, said report co-author Adelle Thomas of the University of Bahamas and Climate Analytics.

And eventually in some places it will become too hot for people to work outdoor, which will be a problem for raising crops, said report co-author Rachel Bezner Kerr of Cornell University.

If the world warms just another nine-tenths of a degree Celsius from now (1.6 degrees Fahrenheit), the amount of land burned by wildfires globally will increase by 35%, the report says.

-------------------------------------------------

Climate Change: IPCC Report Warns of ‘Irreversible’ Impacts of Global Warming
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60525591
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 02:39:38 PM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

castaway

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Biologist Blogger
« Reply #703 on: February 28, 2022, 06:06:39 PM »

Sebastian

Dear Sebastian, my English is very good, thank you although I admit there are a couple grammar mistakes and no use of paragraph spacing. Indeed, I just corrected those couple mistakes but I cannot update my post on Arctic-sea-ice forum any longer, too bad for you, I guess.

You, on the other hand, are very rude with ad-hominem attacks. If you did not understand something, you could have easily asked or checked original references.

Your post is empty, there is no argument in it! Please keep from directing your replies to me from now on unless you have something intelligent to say.
Cheers,
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 06:43:34 PM by castaway »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1989
« Reply #704 on: March 01, 2022, 03:57:52 PM »

Sebastian

Dear Sebastian, my English is very good, thank you although I admit there are a couple grammar mistakes and no use of paragraph spacing. Indeed, I just corrected those couple mistakes but I cannot update my post on Arctic-sea-ice forum any longer, too bad for you, I guess.

You, on the other hand, are very rude with ad-hominem attacks. If you did not understand something, you could have easily asked or checked original references.

Your post is empty, there is no argument in it! Please keep from directing your replies to me from now on unless you have something intelligent to say.
Cheers,

Some notes.

What Sebastian wrote is not an ad hominem attack. He is commenting on the post.

You look at some numbers and conclude it is no big deal. The latest science report on that is on the previous page. Should we take your analysis over theirs?

Plus bean counting with big numbers misses details such as the problems with insects or why birds in isolated parts of the amazon respond to warming by becoming smaller (no island effect there). Or why indeed fishstocks are migrating from the equator.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

castaway

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Biologist Blogger
« Reply #705 on: March 03, 2022, 02:13:38 PM »
kassy

Other reports are forecasts and predictions. My analysis was focused on actual species extinctions, not on said endangered species but on those which most certainly or surely did go extinct by traditional methods, assumptions and time frame analysis, not heeding too much newer methodology which i discussed mark many species recently seen  or species which do not have a Latin name as extinct already.

I wish you would not pay attention to my analysis too much, and wish you would not pay much attention to other international organisations either: rather go download the actual data and study it for yourself. Hopefully my analysis tips and rationale will aid in deeper studies.

As for insects, they may not be top of chain creatures but are not base of energy chain, either. microscopic life that are! Also, diversity composition changes are irrelevant towards ecosystem function locally, as by references (go figure it out, not difficult). But insects is a very interesting theme because many people would like to get rid of many insect species which are deemed bad while others are deemed good, arbitrarily...

Do the dirty work. Cheers.

PS: Obviously that was an ad hominem attacking about my language skills, there was no question to clarify anything written, just attacks from some members.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:07:46 PM by castaway »

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 488
« Reply #706 on: March 03, 2022, 05:34:21 PM »
Nice castaway.  While many use predictions to conclude that an extinction is underway, one must remember that many predictions do not follow through to fruition.  The Bald eagle was headed towards extinction due to the use of pesticides (along with several other large raptors), but was saved through conservation programs.  The Siberian tiger was in a dire situation, until a hunting ban has seen their numbers rise tenfold.  The Galapagos tortoise was in a downward spiral, due mainly to invasive species brought on shore by well-meaning scientists.  Efforts have increased their numbers substantially.

The most remarkable recover might be the white Rhino (more specifically the southern white rhino), which was extensively hunted.  Though to be nearly extinct, their numbers are now thriving throughout southern Africa.  Similarly the American alligator was headed for a similar fate, but a hunting ban has led to a full recovery and removal from the endangered species list.

Consequently, castaways use of actual data is preferable to predictions.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 03, 2022, 07:41:25 PM »
Well i disagree.

Yes there are some high profile success stories. Pandas do ok too but that does not mean anything for all the species out there who are living in declining biotopes. At some point you run out of space just as sea birds next yo an oceanic heat wave run out of food because it moved away.

You do not need number counting to work out many species are in trouble and many of the pressures will only get worse (more habitat loss, more warming in general etc).
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 488
« Reply #708 on: March 03, 2022, 10:34:34 PM »
I would agree that when the major cause of potential extinction was overhunting or pollution that the solution is much easier to implement than habitat destruction.  That is largely why the rhino, alligator, polar bear, bald eagle, Siberian tiger, and others have been able to thrive once the impetus towards declination was removed.  Unfortunately, habitat destruction is the number one cause of species decimation and driving force towards extinction.  Getting the people to return the land to nature is a much more daunting prospect than telling to stop hunting decimated species. 

This argument is tangential to the discussion at hand.  Previous predictions about potential extinctions were based on continued hunting of species or continued use of pesticides, etc.  Those forecasts failed, because the inputs changed.  Posted predictions about future extinctions, based on continued habitat destruction may or may not come to fruition, depending on whether the inputs remain.  While forests are continuing to be cleared in the tropical regions of the Amazon, Borneo, and the Congo, many developed nations are experiencing a forest regrowth.  In the U.S., the forested acreage declined by about one-third after European colonialization.  However, over the past century, the forested area has actually increased, albeit by only about 3%.  Other nations have joined the fight, even some of the poorest have implemented protected lands, such that the destruction of he past centuries need not continue into the future.

In general, I tend to find that predictions far into the future, based on recent trends, tend to fail more often than not.  Just look at the current trend in Arctic sea compared to a decade ago.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 04, 2022, 03:25:11 PM »
There is not much of a discussion. For the real general level you have reports by lots of scientists about it. If you disagree with their numbers find them on twitter or something.

This thread collects all the stories. And most are just data points with causes you do not name (temperature changes causing mismatches usually). The big future threats are the actual temperature rise and humans converting more nature. Both of these trends are not going positive for a while.

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #710 on: March 04, 2022, 05:59:25 PM »
Perhaps I owe Kassy an aopolgy for responding to Castaway.
My work involves conservation, of both species and of habitats- I think about averting extinction for a living, so I get 'triggered' when the very existence of the Holocene Extinction is called into question.

As Kassy pointed out, this thread is for documenting extinctions, rather than arguing if extinction are a problem.

There is a concept called 'Extinction Debt', which holds that a species or a habitat or an ecosystem can exist but be doomed to  extinction. We have seen this process in action several time, quite famously, with Mountain caribou herds in N. America. Southern Mountain Caribou in general are probably  doomed because their habitat has been disturbed and this has altered the functioning of their ecosystem to the point that several herds have already vanished, even in National Parks, and the  rest of the herds are on a downward trajectory.

So it can be difficult to see extinction taking place- this is almost certainly how the ice age mega fauna were driven to extinction by our ancestors- by accident.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 04, 2022, 06:11:01 PM »
No you don´t. We have huge challenges ahead and it is not sure what we can hang on too.

castaway

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Biologist Blogger
« Reply #712 on: March 07, 2022, 01:10:25 PM »
This is going downhill with mods and personal messages to me from mod Neven or something.
i guess i will be banned or something...

He accuses me of trying to promote my website. lol that is crazy

edit Neven: castaway has been banned
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 01:41:04 PM by Neven »

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #713 on: March 07, 2022, 01:27:16 PM »
This is going downhill with mods and personal messages to me from mod Neven or something.
i guess i will be banned or something...

He accuses me of trying to promote my website. lol that is crazy

Neven is not a mod, he's the owner of this site.
Such messages belong in the "Forum Decorum" thread, I believe.

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 471
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #714 on: March 07, 2022, 04:48:48 PM »
The Bald eagle was headed towards extinction due to the use of pesticides (along with several other large raptors), but was saved through conservation programs. 

The bald eagle and other birds of prey were saved due to the banning of the pesticide DDT.

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 07, 2022, 04:50:49 PM »

I wish you would not pay attention to my analysis too much...

You need not ask again. I will follow your advice.

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 07, 2022, 05:00:50 PM »
Unfortunately, habitat destruction is the number one cause of species decimation and driving force towards extinction. 

Absolutely true and humans have been altering and destroying habitats for thousands of years. Two thousand years ago this habitat destruction occurred regionally as we cut down forests and expanded farming.

Previous predictions about potential extinctions were based on continued hunting of species or continued use of pesticides, etc.  Those forecasts failed, because the inputs changed.  Posted predictions about future extinctions, based on continued habitat destruction may or may not come to fruition, depending on whether the inputs remain.

Also true.

The character of habitat destruction has however changed over the past few centuries. The primary imput driving habitat destruction is now CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions. It is now systemic and does not even require the physical presence of humans. AGW is the biggest driver for habit destruction and the extinction of living things and this will continue unless/until we reverse it. This can only be done by eliminating the input that is causing it, greenhouse gases.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 05:13:19 PM by Shared Humanity »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 07, 2022, 05:59:35 PM »
Amazon Rainforest Is Losing Resilience: New Evidence from Satellite Data Analysis
https://phys.org/news/2022-03-amazon-rainforest-resilience-evidence-satellite.html

The Amazon rainforest is likely losing resilience, data analysis from high-resolution satellite images suggests. This is due to stress from a combination of logging and burning—the influence of human-caused climate change is not clearly determinable so far, but will likely matter greatly in the future. For about three-quarters of the forest, the ability to recover from perturbation has been decreasing since the early 2000s, which the scientists see as a warning sign. The new evidence is derived from advanced statistical analysis of satellite data of changes in vegetation biomass and productivity.

"Reduced resilience—the ability to recover from perturbations like droughts or fires—can mean an increased risk of dieback of the Amazon rainforest. That we see such a resilience loss in observations is worrying," says Niklas Boers from the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research and the Technical University of Munich, who conducted the study jointly with researchers from the University of Exeter, UK.

The Amazon is considered a potential tipping element in the Earth system and a number of studies revealed its vulnerability. "However, computer simulation studies of its future yield quite a range of results," says Boers. "We've therefore been looking into specific observational data for signs of resilience changes during the last decades. We see continuously decreasing rainforest resilience since the early 2000s, but we cannot tell when a potential transition from rainforest to savanna might happen. When it will be observable, it would likely be too late to stop it." The research is part of the project "Tipping Points in the Earth System' (TiPES) funded by European Union's Horizon 2020 program.

The team from the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research and the Global Systems Institute of the University of Exeter used stability indicators that had previously already been applied to the Greenland ice sheet and the Atlantic overturning circulation. These statistical indicators aim at predicting the approach of a system towards an abrupt change by identifying a critical slowing down of the system's dynamics, for instance its reaction to weather variability. The analysis of two satellite data sets, representing biomass and the greenness of the forest, revealed the critical slowing down. This critical slowing down can be seen as a weakening of the restoring forces that usually bring the system back to its equilibrium after perturbations.

While a system might seem stable if one is considering only its mean state, taking a closer look at the data with innovative statistical methods can reveal resilience loss," says Chris Boulton from the University of Exeter's Global Systems Institute. "Previous studies based on computer simulations indicated that large parts of the Amazon can be committed to dieback before showing a strong change in the mean state. Our observational analysis now shows that in many areas destabilization indeed seems to be underway already."

... "Our novel analysis of empirical data brings additional evidence to the worries about the forest's resilience, especially in the near future," says Tim Lenton, Director of the Global Systems Institute. "It confirms that strongly limiting the logging, but also limiting global greenhouse gas emissions, is necessary to safeguard the Amazon."

Chris Boulton, Pronounced loss of Amazon rainforest resilience since the early 2000s, Nature Climate Change (2022).
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-022-01287-8
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 12, 2022, 11:00:27 PM »
Plant species that humans don’t need are going towards extinction

Human activity is helping some plants and harming others — but it’s harming way more than it’s helping, a new study shows. This means that many plant species are going extinct as people don’t need them. This will lead to much more homogeneous plant communities in the future compared to those today and could spell disaster for many ecosystems

The study showed that losers currently outnumber winners almost 3 to 1, and they will continue to do so if human impact on the planet maintains its current trajectory. The researchers classified over 20,000 species of plants as losers, most of them not useful to humans. By contrast, they found almost 7,000 species of winners, with all but 164 having human use.

https://www.zmescience.com/science/plant-diversity-heading-bleak-future-11032022/

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #719 on: March 13, 2022, 01:03:43 PM »

https://www.zmescience.com/science/plant-diversity-heading-bleak-future-11032022/

This quote  - Plant species that humans don’t need, is, to me, a demonstration of how dumb even some scientists are.

I would say Plant species that humans don’t understand that they do need are going towards extinction. E.g. Plant species that aren't of immediate use / exploitation by humans are part of the web of life that allowed our species to evolve. When you destroy plants species you destroy the habitat of vast numbers of other plant species and of animal life - e.g pollinators.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Shared Humanity

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: March 13, 2022, 04:05:47 PM »

This quote  - Plant species that humans don’t need, is, to me, a demonstration of how dumb even some scientists are.

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing when I read this. I doubt there is a plant on the planet that we don't need for the role it plays in the biosphere.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 13, 2022, 06:10:49 PM »
To be fair these definitions are not something they just came up with. Last week or so there was an article about plants defined as weeds defined in English laws going back to the 1920s. Some of them are actually very beneficial to almost all insects so that status is wrong.

But the short version is: It is not how dumb the scientists are but how dumb we are collectively which is what they are reporting on.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 18, 2022, 04:52:28 PM »
We saw drought and fire ravage koalas but thought they could climb free of floodwaters ... until now

Almost two years ago, a NSW parliamentary inquiry into koalas and their habitat handed down its report. It found climate change is having a severe impact on koalas, exacerbating the impact of other threats such as bushfire and drought with the species on track to go extinct before 2050.

As committee members, we’d heard how koalas were in big trouble even before the Black Summer fires due to ongoing logging and clearing of their habitat, but also due to dehydration. The severe drought dried up the landscape so much, including in the gum leaves that koalas feed upon, that they just weren’t getting the moisture in their diet they required.

The committee heard swathes of evidence over 18 months but no one really talked about floods. Perhaps it’s always been assumed that koalas will usually be high enough in trees to not have to worry about floodwaters below, sitting it out until the waters recede. Not these floods.

One photo I’ve seen circulated on social media was of a saturated and terrified koala holding on for dear life to a wooden fence as floodwaters in the Lismore area raged around him. It’s one of many distressing photos and videos that have emerged over the past fortnight of wildlife and livestock trapped, and most likely killed, by these floodwaters. It is beyond heartbreaking.

The latest Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report released last month, peer-reviewed by thousands of scientists, holds ominous warnings for what Australia will look like over the next few decades under runaway climate change.

The report was handed down as Lismore residents sheltered in their ceilings or on their roofs to escape the rising waters in a flood that the Premier and Prime Minister are still calling a one-in-1000-year flood events (perhaps to distinguish it from the 2011 flood, billed as a one-in-100 year event).

The IPCC report highlights how, in the horrific Black Summer wildfires, 114 threatened species in Australia lost half their habitat, while 49 species lost a staggering 80 per cent. The loss of more than 10,000 koalas here in NSW during those fires led to the koala being listed as officially endangered by the federal Environment Minister last month.

Just a few weeks before the floods hit, I visited the small community of The Channon in the hills north-west of Lismore and walked through koala habitat guided by locals with a deep knowledge and passion for the rainforest and its inhabitants. They told me how two years ago, with the rainforest as dry as a tinderbox something unprecedented happened – the rainforest burned.

This time, the sheer force of the rain that fell in huge sheets and smashed records and homes and buildings and infrastructure also tore out huge chunks of rainforest in massive landslides in the beautiful, forest-clad Terania Creek and The Channon. In these floods all the ground-dwelling mammals, marsupials, reptiles and insects wouldn’t have stood a chance against rapidly rising floodwaters. When landslides are added to the mix, all the tree-dwelling critters like koalas wouldn’t have stood a chance either.

https://www.theage.com.au/environment/climate-change/we-saw-drought-and-fire-ravage-koalas-but-thought-they-could-climb-free-of-floodwaters-until-now-20220317-p5a5hf.html

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 20, 2022, 05:39:18 PM »
The Great Barrier Reef Has Been Struck With Another 'Widespread' Bleaching Event

The Great Barrier Reef has again been hit with "widespread" bleaching, authorities said Friday, as higher-than-average ocean temperatures off Australia's northeast threaten the already struggling World Heritage site.

Surveillance flights over the reef revealed damage due to heat stress ranging from minor to severe bleaching across the 2,300-kilometer (1,243-mile) network of corals, the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority said.

"Bleaching has been detected across the Marine Park – it is widespread but variable, across multiple regions, ranging in impact from minor to severe," the authority said in its weekly update.

Over the past week, sea temperatures throughout the marine park ranged between 0.5 and 2 degrees Celsius above average, while the far north and inshore areas recorded temperatures between 2 and 4 degrees above average.

There have been five mass bleaching events across the Great Barrier Reef triggered by unusually warm sea temperatures since 1997, leaving many affected corals struggling to survive.

Several cyclones have also battered the reef, as climate change drives more extreme weather.

Outbreaks of crown-of-thorns starfish have also eaten away at the coral.

While recent changes are not yet classified as a mass bleaching event, the Australian Marine Conservation Society described the report as "disastrous news", particularly during a La Nina weather pattern, which is usually associated with cooler ocean temperatures.

https://www.sciencealert.com/the-great-barrier-reef-has-been-struck-with-another-widespread-bleaching-event

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 21, 2022, 11:03:59 AM »
Corals may look healthy, but coastal urbanization is destroying their delicate biorhythm

Coral reefs in the Gulf of Eilat (also known as the Gulf of Aqaba) have been proven particularly resistant to global warming, rising water temperatures and bleaching events that are crippling their counterparts elsewhere around the world. But the findings of a long-term study by an international team of marine and data scientists, just published in the journal Global Change Biology, confirm a different threat to this coral refuge in southern Israel: massive urban development near the Gulf coastline is taking a devastating toll on the local marine environment.

For an entire year researchers examined how and if urbanization is disrupting natural biorhythms in corals and whether urbanization could be an overlooked contributing factor to global coral decline. Natural biorhythms are responsible for coral metabolism, coral growth and reproduction cycles.

Two sites in the Gulf of Eilat, at the northern tip of the Red Sea, were sampled -- one in close vicinity to the city of Eilat, and one further away. Like any city Eilat emits various forms of chemical, light, hormonal, and noise pollution that can be harmful to marine environments.

Throughout the year the team sampled the reefs during different phases of the moon and different times of day, covering daily, monthly, and seasonal biological cycles. Many techniques, such as RNA expression, physiological studies, stable Isotope measurements, and microbiome analysis were used to understand how urbanization alters biorhythm.

Despite the corals' relatively healthy appearance, the researchers discovered that natural biorhythms and environmental sensory systems were extensively disturbed in corals living in proximity to urban Eilat. Diel and lunar cycles related to coral metabolism, predation, microbial functional diversity, and circadian clock functions were disturbed by the urban conditions. Altered seasonality patterns were also observed in the microbiomes of the urban coral population, signifying the impact of urbanization on the holobiont (the entire organism), rather than the coral host alone.

"On the surface the corals seem healthy, but when looking deeper than the naked eye, we saw the strong effect of urbanization very conclusively," says Rosenberg. "The disruption of the daily and monthly cycles resulted in lower physiological performances and reproduction cycles that disappeared in the urban corals," adds Levy. By contrast, corals in the non-urban site looked healthy and their biorhythms showed normal cycling over the sampling periods.   

Levy asserts that scientists must be involved in assessing the potential impact of urbanization on marine areas before decisions on municipal development are made.

Levy, whose research also focuses on biological rhythms in marine animals, is currently preparing a review of the impact of light pollution globally on marine environments. With evidence that urbanization is a contributing factor to global coral decline, he plans to study the combination of sensory pollutants (chemical, light pollution, hormonal, and noise) on coral reefs to determine what thresholds of pollution they can withstand.

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946838

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #725 on: March 21, 2022, 06:10:50 PM »
I suppose this is as good a place to report this (from Political Wire):
The head of the United Nations warned that the world is “sleepwalking to climate catastrophe,” as the ongoing pandemic, the war in Ukraine and a lack of political willpower undermine humanity’s efforts to slow the warming of the planet, the Washington Post reports.

Said U.N. Secretary General António Guterres: “There is no kind way to put it. The 1.5-degree goal is on life support. It is in intensive care.”
Distractions let us put off for tomorrow what we should have done yesterday.

(The famous Shakespearean quote, “Don’t put off till tomorrow what you can do today” is frequently attributed to Benjamin Franklin!)

I guess we're left with: "Only Put Off Until Tomorrow What You Are Willing To Die Having Left Undone,” apparently a quote from Pablo Picasso
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #726 on: March 22, 2022, 11:24:58 AM »
For most politicians and humanity in general the true quote is "Don’t put off till tomorrow what you can postpone indefinitely".

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 26, 2022, 08:28:31 PM »
Great Barrier Reef suffers first mass bleaching under cooling La Niña

Corals have turned white across all four of the reef’s main areas, despite the cooling influence of the La Niña climate phenomenon, in the natural wonder's sixth mass bleaching event of modern times

details see:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2313668-great-barrier-reef-suffers-first-mass-bleaching-under-cooling-la-nina/

Human Habitat Index

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #728 on: March 27, 2022, 03:21:09 AM »
Great Barrier Reef suffers first mass bleaching under cooling La Niña

Corals have turned white across all four of the reef’s main areas, despite the cooling influence of the La Niña climate phenomenon, in the natural wonder's sixth mass bleaching event of modern times

details see:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2313668-great-barrier-reef-suffers-first-mass-bleaching-under-cooling-la-nina/

But doesn't El Nino release the heat stored in the oceans, so La Nina is associated with heat building in the oceans ?
There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation. - Herbert Spencer

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #729 on: March 27, 2022, 12:45:49 PM »
The first mass bleaching event was seen in 1998. It was again observed in 2002, 2016, 2017 and 2020.
Here is a graphic that shows the size and location of the Western Pacific Warm Pool which is warmer in the Western Pacific during La Niña .
https://www.pmel.noaa.gov/elnino/what-is-la-nina
So I am also of the opinion that La Niña increases heat in the West until El Niño releases it to the East. The Great Barrier Reef is mostly south of the Western Warm Pool however.
But you can see the above bleaching events are associated with the end of El Niño’s years, 1998 and 2016. 
So I am a bit confused also. Another graphic might better explain why we are seeing more bleaching events and that is continued ocean heating above and beyond the ENSO cycle.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/featured-images/warm-pool-indo-pacific-ocean-has-almost-doubled-size-changing-global

Edited because I got all turned around.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 12:52:36 PM by Bruce Steele »

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #730 on: March 28, 2022, 01:56:10 PM »
Much of the GBR is in shallow water and tidal regions.

During El Niño, corals on tidal flats are exposed to higher temperatures while out of water, higher temperatures in water, and less cooling rain.

For the east coast of Australia, La Niña means cooler air temps and much higher precipitation. Cooler air temps and night time temps means cooler surface temps for the ocean. Yet still we bleach.
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 31, 2022, 09:51:11 AM »
The Ocean Is Having Trouble Breathing

People who make their living catching fish on the open ocean first noticed the strange phenomenon a few decades ago. It occurred in the shadow zones, the spots between the great ocean currents where sea water doesn’t circulate, off the coasts of Peru, West Africa, and California. The fisher people shared the knowledge among them like a common secret, a bounty that had an even stranger explanation: Sometimes, when the conditions were right, fish would swim closer to the surface of the seas. This made them easier to catch, as the shimmering hordes pushed their way upward, where sunlight filtered through the waters and the oxygen was rich. For the fishing trawlers, this was a wild boon. For the fish, it was something else—the shadow zones, low in oxygen, were expanding, and wildlife habitats were shrinking. Swimming upward, the fish were trying to catch their breath.

It wasn’t until the late 2000s that scientists formally identified what was happening. Observing time-series data from a handful of research stations in Hawaii, Bermuda, and the North Pacific, researchers noticed that the world’s oceans had been losing oxygen, probably for half a century. The existence of these shadow zones—where ocean circulation wasn’t robust and marine life sparse, called Oxygen Minimum Zones, or OMZs—was already well documented. But scientists found that these areas were expanding; they also saw that the ocean was deoxygenating on a systematic level, affecting every area of the seas. In addition to providing places where marine wildlife can thrive, oxygen levels are a critical harbinger of the planet’s health—and unlike ocean acidification, another ecological crisis affecting the pH levels of the oceans, deoxygenation is seen as a change to which adaptation is impossible.

Researchers say the world’s oceans lost 2 percent of their oxygen between 1960 and 2010, a rate that would leave the oceans entirely devoid of oxygen in just a few thousand years, making them uninhabitable to most life. The causes of this deoxygenation are myriad, but can mostly be traced back to anthropogenic climate change caused by increasing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and related global warming trends. These carbon emissions are mostly produced by burning fossil fuels, and even if they were to stop immediately, they have already set in motion processes that will continue to affect the oceans for decades to come.1 That’s because ocean circulation, which is one of its primary mechanisms for oxygenating the deep seas, has already become sluggish due to warming, because the denser colder water sinks more readily. If carbon emissions cease, surface waters could recover quickly, but the deep oceans will remain transformed. Given what’s already been emitted, and the secondary effects on the planet, the global deep oceans are already set to lose at least 10 percent of their oxygen, which would be disastrous for species like pelagic sharks and tuna, because their high metabolism makes them intolerant of even a mild decline in oxygen.

Andreas Oschlies, a researcher at the GEOMAR Helmholtz Center for Ocean Research in Kiel, Germany, who has studied the oceans for three decades, said it is still far from clear how the oceans will change because scientific models that forecast biogeochemical changes are too optimistic about ocean deoxygenation: The changes observed in the field are twice as dramatic as scientific predictions. In other words, the oceans may be suffocating twice as fast as scientists expect.

Oceans also take up less oxygen from the atmosphere because oxygen is less soluble in hotter waters. At the same time, as ocean temperatures rise, the rate of respiration increases—animals and bacteria breathe faster when they are warmer—which also causes oxygen to decline, as it used more quickly by breathing creatures.

In addition to absorbing oxygen from the atmosphere, life in the ocean waters also produces oxygen in the same way that life on land does: through cellular respiration as part of photosynthesis. This process mostly unfolds in the upper layers of the ocean, where sunlight filters through and is taken up by the plant and animal life. Ocean ventilation transports this oxygen to the depths. Through this photosynthesis, the global oceans are a significant oxygen producer, but sea life uses most of the oxygen, making the process more or less neutral in terms of its impact on oxygen in the atmosphere.

Another driver of ocean deoxygenation is the excess of nutrients caused primarily by the runoff of molecules like nitrogen and phosphorous used for agriculture, what scientists call eutrophication. These nutrients cause algae growth to flare up in enormous blooms that block sunlight from entering the top layers of the ocean, killing the life that requires sunlight for cellular respiration and produces oxygen. Once these algae die, they sink to the bottom of the ocean and begin to decompose; the bacteria that contribute to the decomposition process also consume oxygen, further contributing to its overall decline.

To understand how these processes could change the global oceans, scientists are looking at low oxygen zones, or places where anoxia—a complete absence of oxygen—already exists. Marilaure Grégoire, a member of the Modeling for Aquatic Systems research group and a scientist at the department of astrophysics, geophysics, and oceanography at the University of Liège, has studied the Black Sea, which has nearly anoxic conditions below 100 meters underneath the surface of the water.2 Because the Black Sea receives sea water from the Aegean, which is denser due to its higher salt content, the Black Sea’s lower layers don’t mix with the upper layers, causing a lack of ventilation that brings oxygen into the depths. In the absence of oxygen in the Black Sea, and similar spots in the Arabian Sea and Indian Ocean, bacteria that want to recycle organic matter have to find another way to oxidize—to exchange electrons—and so they turn to nitrate, which they transform to nitrous oxide, another greenhouse gas. When bacteria use nitrate, it is no longer there for the use of potential primary producers like plankton. If bacteria in anoxic zones run out of nitrate, they turn to iron oxide and manganese oxide, and even to sulfate, which they transform to hydrogen sulfide, a toxic gas. In the Black Sea, this toxicity takes place deep enough that it’s not dangerous to humans, but in recent years, nitrogen-fueled algae blooms off the coast of Brittany, France, have caused the deaths of up to six people who inhaled hydrogen sulfide gas, including a passing jogger and a truck driver whose job it was to remove algae.

All the mechanisms underpinning ocean deoxygenation and its accompanying, complicated chemical processes have precipices that, when breached, can set off self-reinforcing chain events that scientists call feedback.4 In eutrophication zones, for instance, low oxygen can cause phosphorous to be released from sediment at the bottom of the ocean, which precipitates further eutrophication, a vicious cycle. Similarly, in the Baltic Sea, there has been an accumulation of phosphates in sediment from old washing powders that were regulated out of existence at least 20 years ago. This phosphate continues to be released into the water, precipitating nutrient blooms from below, which, in turn, are causing some of the same kind of eutrophication that leads to more anoxia. “Suddenly we could have these runaway feedbacks, where expanding anoxia leads to more seafloor being in contact with anoxic waters and more phosphate being released from the sediment, fertilizing the ocean, producing more organic matter, more oxygen consumption, and even further lowering oxygen concentrations,” Oschlies said.

https://nautil.us/the-ocean-is-having-trouble-breathing-15789/

Good long article.
The damage already locked in for the deep sea is bad enough already. Also it is another example that our idea of what level of climate change is safe is slightly problematic.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 04, 2022, 07:13:46 PM »
From our reporter in Blahland:

What really happened at Geneva’s crucial biodiversity negotiations?

Once again, much was being asked of the developing world without financial help to enact the change deemed necessary by nations that long ago cleared their forests, drained their wetlands and polluted their rivers to industrialise.

Governments have never met their own targets on halting the destruction of ecosystems despite bleak scientific warnings about species extinctions and the consequences for humans. But many world leaders suggested that this decade’s global biodiversity framework would be different, acknowledging scientists’ warning that humanity must solve the climate and nature crises together or solve neither.

But rich countries’ failure to provide at least $100bn a year of climate finance to the developing world at Cop26 in Glasgow has undermined trust and that is spilling over into the biodiversity process.

In the final plenary session in Geneva on Tuesday, Gabon – speaking on behalf of the Africa group, Brazil, India and other developing countries, also supported by China – called for developed countries to commit to providing $100bn (£76bn) a year of biodiversity finance from public and provide sources, which would rise to $700bn by 2030, closing the “nature funding gap”.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/apr/02/what-really-happened-at-crucial-geneva-biodiversity-talks-cop15-summit

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 05, 2022, 03:28:29 AM »
Protected Tropical Forest Sees Major Bird Declines Over 40 Years
https://phys.org/news/2022-04-tropical-forest-major-bird-declines.html

Deep in a Panamanian rain forest, bird populations have been quietly declining for 44 years. A new University of Illinois-led study shows a whopping 70% of understory bird species declined in the forest between 1977 and 2020. And the vast majority of those are down by half or more.

... Over 43 years and more than 84,000 sampling hours, the researchers captured more than 15,000 unique birds representing nearly 150 species and gathered sufficient data to track 57 of those. The researchers noted declines in 40 species, or 70%, and 35 species lost at least half of their initial numbers. Only two species—a hummingbird and a puffbird—increased.

"At the beginning of the study in 1977, we'd catch 10 or 15 of many species. And then by 2020, for a lot of species, that would be down to five or six individuals," Pollock says.

Although the birds represented a wide variety of guilds—groups that specialize on the same food resources—the researchers noted declines across three broader categories: common forest birds; species that migrate seasonally across elevations; and "edge" species that specialize in transition zones between open and closed-canopy forest.

... "Many of these are species you would expect to be doing fine in a 22,000-hectare national park that has experienced no major land use change for at least 50 years," says Henry Pollock, postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences (NRES) at U of I and lead author on the study. "It was very surprising."

"This is one of the longest, if not the longest, study of its kind in the Neotropics," Jeff Brawn, a co-author on the study, says. "Of course, it's only one park. We can't necessarily generalize to the whole region and say the sky is falling, but it's quite concerning."

Our findings provide evidence that tropical bird populations may be undergoing systematic declines, even in relatively intact forests.

Loss of birds from any habitat can threaten the integrity of the entire ecosystem, Pollock says. In the Neotropics, these birds are key seed dispersers, pollinators, and insect consumers. Fewer birds could threaten tree reproduction and regeneration, impacting the entire structure of the forest, a pattern shown elsewhere after major bird declines.

... "Almost half the world's birds are in the Neotropics, but we really don't have a good handle on the trajectories of their populations. So, I think it's very important more ecological studies be done where we can establish trends and mechanisms of decline in these populations," Brawn says. "And we need to do it damn quick."

Long-term monitoring reveals widespread and severe declines of understory birds in a protected Neotropical forest, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (2022)
https://www.pnas.org/doi/abs/10.1073/pnas.2108731119

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 11, 2022, 08:08:30 PM »
The United States and the European Union are responsible for the majority of ecological damage caused by excess use of raw materials

High-income nations are responsible for 74% of the global excess in resource extraction over the 1970-2017 period, driven primarily by the USA and the countries of the European Union. This is demonstrated in an international study led by Jason Hickel, researcher at the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (ICTA-UAB), which determines national responsibility for ecological breakdown by calculating the extent to which each nation has overshot their fair share of sustainable resource use thresholds.

Human impacts on the Earth’s -system processes are exceeding several planetary boundaries, not only in terms of CO₂ emissions and climate change, but also in land-use change, biodiversity loss, chemical pollution and biogeochemical flows. This ecological collapse is being caused in large part by global resource extraction, which has increased rapidly over the past half century and now dramatically exceeds safe and sustainable levels.

It is estimated that the world economy consumes over 90 billion tonnes of materials per year, well in excess of what industrial ecologists consider to be the sustainable limit.   

This new study proposes a novel method with which to determine national responsibility for ecological breakdown. "Not all nations are equally responsible for this trend; some nations use substantially more resources per capita than others through material extraction, production, consumption and waste," explains ICTA-UAB researcher Jason Hickel. 

Between 1970 and 2017, nearly 2.5 trillion tonnes of materials were extracted globally, with high-income and upper-middle-income countries using the vast majority of these resources. Of this, 1.1 trillion tonnes were in excess of the sustainable corridor.   

The study shows that high-income countries (with 16% of the world's population) are responsible for 74% of global excess resource use over the 1970-2017 period, driven mainly by the United States (27%) and high-income countries in the European Union (25%). Spain ranks 11th in the list of 15 countries exceeding the planetary sustainable limit of raw material use. Spain is responsible for 2% of excess, behind countries such as Japan, Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Canada and Italy, among others. 

China, an upper-middle-income country, ranks second globally, and is responsible for 15% of global excess material use. The rest of the Global South (i.e., low-income and middle-income countries of Latin America and the Caribbean, Africa, the Middle East and Asia) is responsible for only 8%. Likewise, 58 countries in the global South, representing 3.6 billion people and including India, remain within sustainable levels. 

The research, published in the journal Lancet Planetary Health, analysed domestic extraction as well as the materials involved in global trade flows for resources such as fossil fuels, timber, metals, minerals and biomass, using data from the UN’s international resource panel and extrapolated calculations.

National responsibility has changed over the period analysed. Although the United States’ overshoot has grown consistently in absolute terms, its share of global overshoot has gradually diminished over the past two decades, a similar trend for Europe and other high-income nations. This change is mainly due to increasing resource use in China, which is mostly comprised of construction materials. China’s overshoot began only in 2001, but has grown rapidly in the years since.

"The results show that wealthy nations bear the overwhelming responsibility for global ecological breakdown, and therefore owe an ecological debt to the rest of the world", explains Jason Hickel, who stresses that "these nations need to take the lead in making radical reductions in their resource use to avoid further degradation, which will likely require transformative post-growth and degrowth approaches”.

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/949223

Absolutes and relatives...waste is waste.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: April 19, 2022, 02:56:24 PM »
Global warming: even cacti can't take the heat

Sixty percent of cactus species will wind up in less hospitable climates over the coming decades as global warming sets in, according to new research challenging the long-held assumption the iconic desert plants will thrive with more heat.

By 2070, up to 90 percent could be threatened with extinction due to climate change, habitat loss and other stressors, triple the current percentage, scientists reported in Nature Plants.

Some 1,500 species of cacti spread across the Americas live in varying climes, ranging from sea-level deserts to the high Andes mountains, from bone-dry ecosystems to humid tropical forests.

Biodiversity hotspots rich in species and numbers include central Mexico and the Brazilian Atlantic Forest.

To test the notion that cacti will benefit from a warmer and more drought-prone world, researchers led by Michiel Pillet from the University of Arizona examined data on more than 400 species and ran models projecting how they would fare at mid-century and beyond under different greenhouse gas emissions scenarios.

The findings "paint a more pessimistic future," according to the study, published Thursday.

Currently, the main threat to cacti is expanding agriculture, along with land degradation, biodiversity loss and harvesting for various uses.

Even without climate change, cacti "is one of the most endangered groups of organisms on the planet," with more than 30 percent classified as at risk of extinction, the authors note.

Under a moderate emissions scenario in line with current policies, global warming will soon be a significant threat as well.

"Our results suggest that climate change will become a primary driver of cactus extinction risk, with 60 to 90 percent of species assessed negatively impacted" by global warming, the researchers reported.

Within four or five decades, some 25 percent of cacti species could experience unfamiliar climates over a quarter of their current range.

Earlier studies have shown impaired photosynthesis -- the process by which plants use sunlight to make foods from CO2 and water -- with only two degrees Celsius of global warming.

Earth's average surface temperature, including oceans, is already 1.1C warmer than preindustrial times, and about 1.7C warmer over land only.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-10722475/Global-warming-cacti-heat.html

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 22, 2022, 09:33:40 AM »
Gone gull: Climate crisis taking toll on seabird numbers, as more turn to urban scavenging

The common sights and sounds of urban-dwelling gulls are masking a serious decline in their numbers, according to Scottish conservationists, who have warned that the effects of the worsening climate crisis and overfishing are reducing the birds’ natural food sources.

Some of the most common species seen in British towns and cities are the herring gull and the lesser black-backed gull, but both are seeing considerable falls in numbers, with herring gulls now a red-listed species on the birds of conservation concern list, meaning that overall their populations are in decline.

Lesser black-backed gulls are also declining, and the species is now listed as amber on the list of conservation concern for birds which breed in Scotland.

While urban gulls’ taste for human food has led them to become dive-bombing, chip-stealing, rubbish-spreading pests, this is believed to be an adaptation to their nose-diving supplies of food in the wild.

According to Nature Scot’s report, councils are increasingly turning to methods such as using hawks to scare off gulls, and introducing bird spikes and netting to prevent birds accessing certain buildings or areas.

“People often associate gulls with days at the beach, but more and more they’re being forced into towns and cities to look for food,” he said.

“The climate crisis is one of the reasons why – many fish populations are changing their distribution in response to changing water temperatures, and increased storms and extreme weather events make it more perilous for birds to hunt.

"Herring gulls, for example, are now on the red list partly because of overfishing and warming seas leading to a decrease in their food’s quality and quantity, issues which have also kept the amber-listed lesser black-backed gulls on very shaky grounds. Many birds are then also losing nesting sites on the coasts, preventing them from raising the next generation in natural sites.

“The UK has globally important colonies of seabirds on our coasts and we need to see UK governments work with energy companies, our fishing industries, and conservationists to find ways to stop their decline.”

He added: "There isn’t one simple solution, and halting the climate crisis is a long-term battle – but giving gulls space to breed and feed by protecting nesting sites and halting overfishing is a good place to start.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/seagulls-birds-overfishing-scotland-b2061830.html

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 22, 2022, 09:40:20 AM »
Another proud achievement for humanity.  :(

Humans Have Broken One of The Natural Power Laws Governing Earth's Oceans

Humans disrupting 66 million-year-old feature of ecosystems

Diet-size relationship found across deep time, multiple vertebrate groups

The U-shaped relationship between diet and size in modern land mammals could also stand for "universal," says a new study, which has found that the relationship spans at least 66 million years and a range of vertebrate animal groups.

It's been several decades since ecologists realized that graphing the diet-size relationship of terrestrial mammals yields a U-shaped curve when aligning those mammals on a plant-to-protein gradient. As illustrated by that curve, the plant-eating herbivores on the far left and meat-eating carnivores on the far right tend to reach sizes much larger than those of the all-consuming omnivores and the invertebrate-feasting invertivores in the middle.

To date, though, virtually no research had looked for the pattern beyond mammals or the modern day. In a new study, researchers from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and institutions on four continents have concluded that the pattern actually dates back to deep time and applies to land-dwelling birds, reptiles and even saltwater fishes.

But the study also suggests that human-related extinctions of the largest herbivores and carnivores are disrupting what appears to be a fundamental feature of past and present ecosystems, with potentially unpredictable consequences.

"We're not sure what's going to happen, because this hasn't happened before," said Will Gearty, a postdoctoral researcher at Nebraska and co-author of the study, published April 21 in the journal Nature Ecology and Evolution. "But because the systems have been in what seems to be a very steady state for a very long time, it's concerning what might happen when they leave that state."

Size up, size down

The evolutionary and ecological histories of animal species can be told in part through the intertwined influences of diet and size, Gearty said. A species' diet determines its energy consumption, which in turn drives growth and ultimately helps dictate its size. Yet that size can also limit the quality and quantity of food available to a species, even as it sets thresholds for the quality and quantity needed to survive.

"You can be as big as your food will allow you to be," Gearty said. "At the same time, you're often as big as you need to be to catch and process your food. So there's an evolutionary interplay there."

Because the plant-based diet of herbivores is relatively poor in nutrition, they often grow massive for the sake of covering more ground to forage more food -- and accommodating long, complex digestive tracts that extract maximum nutrients from it. Carnivores, meanwhile, must grow large enough to both keep up with and take down those herbivores. Though the buffet-style menu of omnivores usually keeps their stomachs full, their high energy demands generally leave them focusing on nuts, insects and other small, energy-dense foods. And while invertivores enjoy mostly protein-rich prey, the diminutive nature of that prey, combined with stiff competition from many other invertivores, relegates them to the smallest sizes of all.

The ultimate result: a U-shaped distribution of both average and maximum body sizes in mammals. To analyze the generalizability of that pattern in the modern day, the team compiled body-size data for a huge number of surviving species: 5,033 mammals, 8,991 birds, 7,356 reptiles and 2,795 fishes.

Though the pattern was absent in marine mammals and seabirds, probably due to the unique demands of living in water, it did emerge in the other vertebrate groups -- reptiles, saltwater fishes and land-based birds -- examined by the team. The pattern even held across various biomes -- forests vs. grasslands vs. deserts, for instance, or the tropical Atlantic Ocean vs. the temperate North Pacific -- when analyzing land mammals, land birds and saltwater fishes.

"Showing that this exists across all these different groups does suggest that it is something fundamental about how vertebrates acquire energy, how they interact with one another, and how they coexist,"
said co-author Kate Lyons, assistant professor of biological sciences at Nebraska. "We don't know whether it's necessary -- there might be other ways of organizing vertebrate communities with respect to body size and diet -- but it certainly is sufficient."

But the researchers were also interested in learning how long the U-curve may have endured. So they analyzed fossil records from 5,427 mammal species, some of which date as far back as the Early Cretaceous Period of 145 million to 100 million years ago. Lyons and colleagues originally collected the fossil data as part of a 2018 study on the extinction of large mammals at the hands of humans and their recent ancestors.

"To my knowledge, this is the most extensive investigation of the evolution of body size and especially diet in mammals over time," Gearty said.

It revealed that the U-curve stretches back at least 66 million years, when non-avian dinosaurs had just been wiped out but mammals had yet to diversify into the dominant animal class that they are today.

"It is really interesting, and really striking," Gearty said, "to see that this relationship persists even when you have other dominant animals around.

"We suspect that it's actually existed since the inception of mammals as a group."

The shape of things to come

Having catalogued the present and past of the U-curve, Gearty, Lyons and their colleagues turned to its future, or potential lack thereof. The median sizes of herbivores and omnivores have plummeted roughly 100-fold since the emergence of Neanderthals and Homo sapiens over the past few hundred thousand years, the team reported, with the size of carnivores dropping by about 10 times in that same span. As a result, the U-curve that has persisted for so long has begun to noticeably flatten, Gearty said.

In that vein, the team has projected a greater than 50% chance that multiple large- and medium-sized mammals -- including the tiger and Javan rhinoceros, both of which count humans as their only predators -- will go extinct within the next 200 years. Those predicted extinctions would only exacerbate the disruption of the U-curve, the researchers said, especially to the extent that the loss of large herbivores could trigger or accelerate the loss of the large carnivores that prey on them.

"It's certainly possible that as we take some of these animals off the top (of the U-curve), and as we collapse some of these ranges of body sizes, that we're altering the way the energy is divvied up," Gearty said. "That could perhaps have fundamental repercussions for the environment and ecosystem as a whole."

It's also possible, the researchers concluded, that the forthcoming decline in mammal body sizes could outpace even the unprecedented drop observed over the past few hundred thousand years.

"You keep seeing, in ecological literature, people speculating about how ecosystems are less stable now, and less resilient, and more prone to collapse," Lyons said. "I think this is just another line of evidence suggesting that that may indeed be the case in the future."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/04/220421131006.htm

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #738 on: April 27, 2022, 06:48:30 PM »
Only a fifth of reptiles, 40% of amphibians, one quarter of mammals and 14% of birds may be facing extinction. That's alright then, plenty will be left.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/apr/27/one-in-five-reptiles-face-extinction-in-devastating-blow-to-biodiversity-aoe
One in five reptiles faces extinction in what would be a ‘devastating’ blow
Largest analysis to date on the state of the world’s reptiles warns of threat to ecosystems as more than 1,800 species fight to survive

More than a fifth of all reptile species are threatened with extinction, which could have a “devastating” impact on the planet, a new study warns.

The largest ever analysis of the state of the world’s reptiles, published in Nature, found that 21% of reptile species are facing extinction. From lizards to snakes, such a loss could have disastrous impacts on ecosystems around the world, the study says.

“We would lose a combined 15.6bn years of evolutionary history if each of the 1,829 threatened reptiles became extinct,” said Neil Cox, co-leader of the study and manager of the biodiversity assessment unit at the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). “This is evolution that we could never get back. It would be a devastating loss.

“If we remove reptiles, it could change ecosystems radically, with unfortunate knock-on effects, such as increases in pest insects,” he added. “Biodiversity, including reptiles, underpins the ecosystem services that provide a healthy environment for people.”

Fifty-two experts analysed data from the Global Reptile Assessment, which has received contributions from more than 900 scientists across six continents in the past 17 years. While 1,829 of 10,196 species are known to be threatened, the status of 1,489 could not be determined. Allowing for these data deficient species, the authors estimate that, in total, 21% are threatened.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04664-7
A global reptile assessment highlights shared conservation needs of tetrapods
Abstract
Comprehensive assessments of species’ extinction risks have documented the extinction crisis1 and underpinned strategies for reducing those risks2. Global assessments reveal that, among tetrapods, 40.7% of amphibians, 25.4% of mammals and 13.6% of birds are threatened with extinction3.

Because global assessments have been lacking, reptiles have been omitted from conservation-prioritization analyses that encompass other tetrapods4,5,6,7. Reptiles are unusually diverse in arid regions, suggesting that they may have different conservation needs6. Here we provide a comprehensive extinction-risk assessment of reptiles and show that at least 1,829 out of 10,196 species (21.1%) are threatened—confirming a previous extrapolation8 and representing 15.6 billion years of phylogenetic diversity.

Reptiles are threatened by the same major factors that threaten other tetrapods—agriculture, logging, urban development and invasive species—although the threat posed by climate change remains uncertain. Reptiles inhabiting forests, where these threats are strongest, are more threatened than those in arid habitats, contrary to our prediction.

Birds, mammals and amphibians are unexpectedly good surrogates for the conservation of reptiles, although threatened reptiles with the smallest ranges tend to be isolated from other threatened tetrapods. Although some reptiles—including most species of crocodiles and turtles—require urgent, targeted action to prevent extinctions, efforts to protect other tetrapods, such as habitat preservation and control of trade and invasive species, will probably also benefit many reptiles.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 28, 2022, 08:21:52 PM »
Unchecked Global Emissions On Track to Initiate Mass Extinction of Marine Life
https://phys.org/news/2022-04-unchecked-global-emissions-track-mass.html

As greenhouse gas emissions continue to warm the world's oceans, marine biodiversity could be on track to plummet within the next few centuries to levels not seen since the extinction of the dinosaurs, according to a recent study in the journal Science by Princeton University researchers.

The paper's authors modeled future marine biodiversity under different projected climate scenarios. They found that if emissions are not curbed, species losses from warming and oxygen depletion alone could come to mirror the substantial impact humans already have on marine biodiversity by around 2100. Tropical waters would experience the greatest loss of biodiversity, while polar species are at the highest risk of extinction, the authors reported.

Deutsch and Penn, who initiated the study when both were at the University of Washington, combined existing physiological data on marine species with models of climate change to predict how changes in habitat conditions will affect the survival of sea animals around the globe over the next few centuries. The researchers compared their model to the magnitude of past mass extinctions captured in the fossil record, building on their earlier work that linked the geographic pattern of the End-Permian Extinction more than 250 million years ago—Earth's deadliest extinction event—to underlying drivers, namely climate warming and oxygen loss from the oceans.

... Water temperature and oxygen availability are two key factors that will change as the climate warms due to human activity. Warmer water is itself a risk factor for species that are adapted for cooler climates. Warm water also holds less oxygen than cooler water, which leads to more sluggish ocean circulation that reduces the oxygen supply at depth. Paradoxically, species' metabolic rates increase with water temperature, so the demand for oxygen rises as the supply decreases. "Once oxygen supply falls short of what species need, we expect to see substantial species losses," Penn said.

Marine animals have physiological mechanisms that allow them to cope with environmental changes, but only up to a point. The researchers found that polar species are more likely to go globally extinct if climate warming occurs because they will have no suitable habitats to move to. Tropical marine species will likely fare better because they have traits that allow them to cope with the warm, low-oxygen waters of the tropics. As waters north and south of the tropics warm, these species may be able to migrate to newly suitable habitats. The equatorial ocean, however, is already so warm and low in oxygen that further increases in temperature—and an accompanying decrease in oxygen—might make it locally uninhabitable for many species.

The researchers report that the pattern of extinction their model projected—with a greater global extinction of species at the poles compared to the tropics—mirrors the pattern of past mass extinctions. A study Deutsch and Penn published in Science in 2018 showed that temperature-dependent increases in metabolic oxygen demand—paired with decreases in oxygen availability caused by volcanic eruptions—can explain the geographic patterns of species loss during the End-Permian Extinction ago, which killed off 81% of marine species.

The model also helps resolve an ongoing puzzle in the geographic pattern of marine biodiversity. Marine biodiversity increases steadily from the poles towards the tropics, but drops off at the equator. This equatorial dip has long been a mystery—researchers have been unsure about what causes it and some have even wondered whether it is real. Deutsch and Penn's model provides a plausible explanation for the drop in equatorial marine biodiversity—the oxygen supply is too low in these warm waters for some species to tolerate.

The big concern is that climate change will make large swathes of the ocean similarly uninhabitable, Penn said.

Justin L. Penn et al, Avoiding ocean mass extinction from climate warming, Science (2022)
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abe9039

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 01, 2022, 03:35:55 PM »
Dolphin bycatch from fishing practices unsustainable, study finds

An international team of researchers have developed a method to assess sustainable levels of human-caused wildlife mortality, which when applied to a trawl fishery shows that dolphin capture is not sustainable.

The study, led by scientists at the University of Bristol and United Arab Emirates University was published today in Conservation Biology.

Human activities like commercial fishing can result in the accidental death of non-targeted wildlife, threatening protected and endangered species. "Bycatch and discarding of marine wildlife in commercial fisheries are major challenges for biodiversity conservation and fisheries management the world over," said Dr. Simon Allen of Bristol's School of Biological Sciences, who studies dolphin behaviour and interactions with fisheries.

Some fisheries are not selective and damage habitat, as well as capturing protected species, like dolphins, seals, turtles, sharks and rays. "Bycatch Reduction Devices were placed in Western Australian trawl nets in 2006, but no quantitative assessment of the impact was carried out. We set out to model different levels of dolphin capture, including those reported in skippers' logbooks and those by independent observers. Unfortunately, our results show clearly that even the lowest reported annual dolphin capture rates are not sustainable," Dr. Allen said.

With only voluntary or low levels of fisheries monitoring and no quantitative conservation objectives, Dr. Allen notes that the UK and EU are also failing to address the bycatch problem. Greater transparency and the application of more rigorous methods would improve the scientific basis for decision-making around the impacts of fisheries on non-target species like dolphins, whales, seals and seabirds.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2022/04/220428161411.htm

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 07, 2022, 08:32:36 PM »
Global Bird Populations Steadily Declining
https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2022/05/global-bird-populations-steadily-decline
https://phys.org/news/2022-05-global-bird-populations-steadily-declining.html

Staggering declines in bird populations are taking place around the world. So concludes a study from scientists at multiple institutions, published today in the journal Annual Review of Environment and Resources. Loss and degradation of natural habitats and direct overexploitation of many species are cited as the key threats to avian biodiversity. Climate change is identified as an emerging driver of bird population declines.

"We are now witnessing the first signs of a new wave of extinctions of continentally distributed bird species," says lead author Alexander Lees, senior lecturer at Manchester Metropolitan University in the United Kingdom and also a research associate at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. "Avian diversity peaks globally in the tropics and it is there that we also find the highest number of threatened species."

The study says approximately 48% of existing bird species worldwide are known or suspected to be undergoing population declines. Populations are stable for 39% of species. Only 6% are showing increasing population trends, and the status of 7% is still unknown. The study authors reviewed changes in avian biodiversity using data from the International Union for Conservation of Nature's "Red List" to reveal population changes among the world's 11,000 bird species.

"After documenting the loss of nearly 3 billion birds in North America alone, it was dismaying to see the same patterns of population declines and extinction occurring globally," says conservation scientist Ken Rosenberg from the Cornell Lab, now retired. "Because birds are highly visible and sensitive indicators of environmental health, we know their loss signals a much wider loss of biodiversity and threats to human health and well-being."

“The fate of bird populations is strongly dependent on stopping the loss and degradation of habitats,” Lees said. “That is often driven by demand for resources. We need to better consider how commodity flows can contribute to biodiversity loss and try to reduce the human footprint on the natural world.”

Alexander C. Lees et al, State of the World's Birds, Annual Review of Environment and Resources (2022).
https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/10.1146/annurev-environ-112420-014642

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 09, 2022, 05:36:55 PM »
The Pantanal, the World's Largest Wetland, Is At Risk of Collapse
https://phys.org/news/2022-05-pantanal-world-largest-wetland-collapse.html

The world's largest wetland, known as the Pantanal, in South America is at risk of collapse due to a series of local and seemingly minor decisions that fail to account for their cumulative impact on one of Earth's most biodiverse ecosystems, according to a letter published in BioScience. Authors of the letter titled, "The tragedy of the commons: How subtle and 'legal' decisions threaten one of the largest wetlands in the world," include scientists from Panthera, the global wild cat conservation organization, Embrapa Pantanal, IPÊ, Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and CENAP/ICMBio.

In the letter, the scientists cite a dangerous escalation over the past two decades in locally-made and legal land-use decisions and proposals to open up the wetland to more intensive uses that collectively threaten the long-term survival of the Pantanal.

"There is still hope for the Pantanal, but its sustainable use must not be challenged by the consequences of small mistaken decisions that fail to consider their cumulative impacts, compromising the future of sustainable cattle ranching, fishing, ecotourism, traditional communities, biodiversity, and ecosystem services," the scientists warn in the letter.

Twenty years ago, a group of scientists led by Dr. J.F. Gottgens rang initial warning bells in an article published in BioScience. The report warned that individual and local interests are detrimental to the collective interests of the conservation of the Pantanal, comparing the situation to the "tragedy of commons'' or the "tyranny of small decisions."

Two decades later, scientists claim Gottgens' forecast has become a reality. They cite the approval of an increasing number of hydroelectric plants in the river basins forming the Pantanal wetlands, which may cause significant changes in the hydrology and nutrient intake in the ecosystems.

More recently, the construction of Barranco Vermelho port on the Paraguay River received preliminary approval by the Environment Council of the State of Mato Grosso in January 2022. The licensing took into account only the local consequences of the enterprise without considering that this port would be viable only if an engineered waterway were implemented southward in the Paraguay River. The waterway may pose a substantial threat to the Pantanal due to its potential to negatively influence the hydrological signature of the ecosystems.

... According to the authors, the synergies among the different threats can cause profound geographic, ecological and social consequences. Threats to the Pantanal also range from climate change on a global scale to the deforestation in the Amazon Forest, which serves as the origin of the rains that make the Pantanal a wetland, to severe drought and massive fires. At least 17 million vertebrates are estimated to have been killed immediately by wildfires that burned a quarter of the Brazilian Pantanal in 2020, according to a 2021 study from the Mogu Mata Network, coordinated by Embrapa Pantanal and ICMBio/CENAP in collaboration with Panthera.

We are witnessing a convergence of threats that may lead to the disappearance of the Pantanal as we know it today.

Fernando Tortato et al, Tragedy of the Commons: How Subtle, "Legal" Decisions Are Threatening One of the Largest Wetlands in the World, BioScience (2022)
https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/biosci/biac025/6580404?redirectedFrom=fulltext&login=false

--------------------------------------------------------

Tropical Dry Forests Disappearing Rapidly Around the Globe
https://phys.org/news/2022-05-tropical-forests-rapidly-globe.html

Dry tropical forests are important ecosystems, yet these forests are increasingly threatened, a new study discovers. An innovative approach to characterize how deforestation took place since 2000 showed that more than 71 million hectares of tropical dry forests were lost, particularly in South America and Asia. Even more worrisome, one third of remaining forests are under threat as they are located in so-called frontier areas where deforestation is progressing rapidly. African tropical dry forests are still comparatively less disturbed, but in many of them deforestation has recently emerged.

n a new study published in Nature Sustainability, researchers provide the most comprehensive global assessment of deforestation processes in the world's dry forests and woodlands to date. Using high-resolution satellite imagery time series of forest loss for the period of 2000 to 2020, the team analyzed the spatial and temporal patterns of deforestation across more than 18 million square kilometers of tropical dry forests and woodlands. "The main innovation of our study is that we developed a methodology that goes beyond just flagging deforestation," Tobias Kuemmerle, professor at the Geography Department of Humboldt-Universität explains. "In other words, we can now detect and map in detail where deforestation is speeding up and where it has slowed down, and whether it results in fragmented landscapes or whether forests are lost entirely."

The results are alarming. Since 2000, more than 71 million hectares of dry forest have been destroyed, an area about twice the size of Germany. Many hotspots of deforestation are concentrated in South America, such as in the Gran Chaco in Argentina, Paraguay, and Bolivia, or the Cerrado in Brazil, as well as in Asia, such as the dry forests of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. "What is worrying is also that we found one third of all remaining dry forests to be located in areas where deforestation is already taking place," Matthias Baumann, a co-author of the study, highlights, and adds: "We are going to lose many of these unique forests in the near future, if we do not better protect them."

Much of the deforestation happens as capital-intensive agriculture spreads into dry forests. "Surprisingly, around 55% of the areas where deforestation frontiers recently emerged are located in African dry forests," Patrick Meyfroidt, another co-author of the study, and highlights: "We can expect agricultural expansion to speed up there a lot in the future, because many global producers have an eye towards the region. If we want to safeguard Africa's dry forests and savannas, the time to act is now."

Ana Buchadas et al, Uncovering major types of deforestation frontiers across the world's tropical dry woodlands, Nature Sustainability (2022).
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41893-022-00886-9
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 05:52:18 PM by vox_mundi »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 11, 2022, 11:31:23 AM »
Shipping poses significant threat to the endangered whale shark

Marine biologists from the Marine Biological Association (MBA) and the University of Southampton have led ground-breaking research which indicates that lethal collisions of whale sharks with large ships are vastly underestimated, and could be the reason why populations are falling.

Whale shark numbers have been declining in recent years in many locations, but it is not entirely clear why this is happening.

Because whale sharks spend a large amount of time in surface waters and gather in coastal regions, experts theorised that collisions with ships could be causing substantial whale shark deaths; but there was previously no way of monitoring this threat.

Scientists from 50 international research institutions and universities tracked the movements of both whale sharks and ships across the globe to identify areas of risk and possible collisions. Satellite tracked movement data from nearly 350 whale sharks was submitted into the Global Shark Movement Project, led by researchers from the MBA.

The team mapped shark 'hotspots' which overlapped with global fleets of cargo, tanker, passenger, and fishing vessels – the types of large ships capable of striking and killing a whale shark – to reveal that over 90 per cent of whale shark movements fell under the footprint of shipping activity.

The study also showed that whale shark tag transmissions were ending more often in busy shipping lanes than expected, even when they ruled out technical failures.
The team concluded that loss of transmissions was likely due to whale sharks being struck, killed and sinking to the ocean floor.

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/951806

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 12, 2022, 11:20:50 PM »
The report on round four:

Majority of Great Barrier Reef coral studied in 2022 was bleached, Australian scientists say

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — More than 90% of Great Barrier Reef coral surveyed this year was bleached in the fourth such mass event in seven years in the world’s largest coral reef ecosystem, Australian government scientists said.

Bleaching is caused by global warming, but this is the reef’s first bleaching event during a La Niña weather pattern, which is associated with cooler Pacific Ocean temperatures, the Great Barrier Reef Marine Authority said in its annual report released late Tuesday that found 91% of the areas surveyed were affected.

Bleaching in 2016, 2017 and 2020 damaged two-thirds of the coral in the famed reef off Australia’s eastern coast.

lots more:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/majority-of-great-barrier-reef-coral-studied-in-2022-was-bleached-australian-scientists-say

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 18, 2022, 02:16:43 AM »
Marine Ecologists Warn of Coral Extinction by the End of the Century
https://phys.org/news/2022-05-marine-ecologists-coral-extinction-century.html

... if atmospheric and ocean temperatures continue to rise at the current pace, coral reefs face extinction within the next 80 years, or by the end of this century.

"Entire reefs that I used to dive and snorkel on are gone. There are species you don't see on the reef anymore. Change is happening now," said LSU Department of Oceanography & Coastal Sciences Assistant Professor Dan Holstein.

He and his collaborators have developed a new, open-source computational model that is the first to predict how warming seas will destabilize coral populations throughout the Western Atlantic, including the Florida Keys, the Bahamas and the Caribbean. Using existing projections of ocean warming, the model computes how coral populations will sustain and thrive, or begin to perish, as ocean temperatures rise.

"This model predicts that ocean warming will reduce the ability for migrating coral larvae to replenish reefs that have bleached and died. The model doesn't seal the fate of coral reefs, but it is a big wake-up call," said Holstein, whose work is published in a new paper in the journal Coral Reefs.

Daniel M. Holstein et al, Predicting coral metapopulation decline in a changing thermal environment, Coral Reefs (2022).
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00338-022-02252-9

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 18, 2022, 06:27:40 PM »
Climate change disrupting 'language of life' across all ecosystems

COP26
COP26
Rob Waugh
Rob Waugh·Contributor
Mon, 16 May 2022, 4:42 pm·3-min read
In this article:

COP26
COP26
Two teenage lions sniffing in nature. Copy space.
Chemical signals - the language of life - are being disrupted by climate change. (Getty)
Living beings don’t just communicate through sound – we also communicate through chemicals using smell to find mates, food and stay away from predators.

But climate change is disrupting these processes, which Hull University researchers describe as ‘the language of life’.

Most worryingly, the change, driven by warming temperatures, is affecting organisms not just in one place, but across land, rivers and oceans – in the same patterns.

It is the first time that researchers have demonstrated that climate change affects interactions between organisms in different realms in a similar way.

Becoming nose-blind—Climate change impacts on chemical communication

“The predominantly negative effects that climate change has upon the language of life within terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems could have a range of far-reaching implications for the future of our planet and human wellbeing, for example by impacting food security and fundamental ecosystem services that make our planet habitable.

“Although a growing number of studies suggest that climate change-associated stressors cause adverse effects on the communication between organisms, knowledge of the underlying mechanisms remains scarce.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/climate-change-disrupting-language-of-life-across-all-ecosystems-144222874.html

Abstract
Chemical communication via infochemicals plays a pivotal role in ecological interactions, allowing organisms to sense their environment, locate predators, food, habitats, or mates. A growing number of studies suggest that climate change-associated stressors can modify these chemically mediated interactions, causing info-disruption that scales up to the ecosystem level. However, our understanding of the underlying mechanisms is scarce. Evidenced by a range of examples, we illustrate in this opinion piece that climate change affects different realms in similar patterns, from molecular to ecosystem-wide levels. We assess the importance of different stressors for terrestrial, freshwater, and marine ecosystems and propose a systematic approach to address highlighted knowledge gaps and cross-disciplinary research avenues.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/gcb.16209

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 23, 2022, 05:12:14 PM »
Researchers Identify 63 Australian Animals Most Likely to Go Extinct by 2041, Offer Preservation Approaches
https://phys.org/news/2022-05-animals-extinct-approaches.html

... The hardest to save will be five reptiles, four birds, four frogs, two mammals and one fish, for which there are no recent confirmed records of their continued existence.

Four are almost certainly extinct: the Christmas Island shrew, Kangaroo River Macquarie perch, northern gastric brooding frog and Victorian grassland earless dragon. For example, there have only ever been four records of the Christmas Island shrew since it was found in the 1930s, with the most recent in the 1980s.

While some of the 16 species feared extinct may still persist as small, undiscovered populations, none have been found, despite searching. But even for species like the Buff-breasted button-quail, those searching still hold out hope. It is certainly too soon to give up on them entirely.

... We know the other 47 highly imperiled animals we looked at still survive, and we ought to be able to save them. These are made up of 21 fish, 12 birds, six mammals, four frogs and four reptiles.

For a start, if all their ranges were combined, they would fit in an area of a little over 4,000 square kilometers—a circle just 74km across.

Nearly half this area is already managed for conservation with less than a quarter of the species living on private land with no conservation management.

More than one-third of the highly imperiled taxa are fish, particularly a group called galaxiids, many of which are now confined to tiny streams in the headwaters of mountain rivers in southeastern Australia.

Genetic research suggests the different galaxiid fish species have been isolated for more than a million years. Most have been gobbled up by introduced trout in little more than a century. They have only been saved from extinction by waterfall barriers the trout cannot jump.

The other highly imperiled animals are scattered around the country or on offshore islands. Their ranges never overlap—even the three highly threatened King Island birds—a thornbill, a scrubtit and the orange-bellied parrot—use different habitats.

Sadly, it is still legal to clear King Island brown thornbill habitat, even though there are hardly any left.

King Island brown thornbill

Australia's most imperilled vertebrates, Science Direct, (2022)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320722001148

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 27, 2022, 11:56:03 PM »
California Investigating Sick and Dying Brown Pelicans
https://phys.org/news/2022-05-california-sick-dying-brown-pelicans.html

Hundreds of the pelicans, which are a protected species in the state, have been admitted to wildlife rehabilitation facilities in Southern and Central California since about May 13, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife said in a statement.

"The pelicans have been found emaciated and frequently with secondary injuries or broken wings. Many of these birds died shortly after arrival at a facility," it said.

Results of postmortem examinations and testing of pelicans brought to rehabilitation facilities indicate the birds are dying from starvation-related problems, and there are no indications of disease or unusual parasites.

The brown pelicans are an important part of the Pacific Coast ecosystem, feeding on northern anchovy, Pacific sardine and mackerel.

Some early theories are that the birds are being hurt by overfishing in the Pacific Ocean, but rescue operators have been assured by state agencies that local sardine and anchovy populations are not scarce. Others consider the usual culprits that cause injuries among birds, such as paralytic shellfish poisoning and domoic acid toxins from algae blooms.

In 2010 and 2012, Southern California veterinarians saw a similar crash among the brown pelican population that stretched over several weeks. Around that time, rescue centers saw more young birds in distress, but the latest batch includes older birds. A similar event happened in 2018, but not at the current scale.

-------------------------------------------

Hummingbirds May Struggle to Go Any Further Uphill
https://phys.org/news/2022-05-hummingbirds-struggle-uphill.html

Any animal ascending a mountain experiences a double whammy of impediments: The air gets thinner as it also becomes colder, which is particularly problematic for creatures struggling to keep warm when less oxygen is available. For tiny animals with the highest-octane lifestyles, such as hovering hummingbirds, the challenges of relocating to higher levels to evade climate change may be too much.

As Anna's hummingbirds (Calypte anna) are comfortable up to elevations of ~2800 m, Austin Spence from the University of Connecticut, U.S., and Morgan Tingley from the University of California, Los Angeles, U.S., were curious to find out how hummingbirds that originated from close to sea level and those that live at the loftier end of the range would cope when transported well above their natural habitat to an altitude of 3800 meters. They publish their discovery in the Journal of Experimental Biology: that the birds struggle to hover and suffer a 37% drop in their metabolic rate at that height—in addition to becoming torpid for most of the night to conserve energy—making it unlikely that they can relocate to higher altitudes.

... What does this mean for the hummingbird's future as climate change forces them to find more comfortable conditions? "Our results suggest lower oxygen availability and low air pressure may be difficult challenges to overcome for hummingbirds," says Spence, meaning that the birds will likely have to shift north in search of cooler climes.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 12:02:47 AM by vox_mundi »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 04, 2022, 10:19:25 AM »
Fishing industry ‘bulldozing’ seabed in 90% of UK’s protected areas

The vast majority of protected marine areas in the UK are being “bulldozed” by destructive fishing practices, according to new data.

More than 90 per cent are being affected by bottom-trawling or dredging, which damages the sea bed by dragging equipment along the ocean floor, according to the analysis.

This is despite supposed restrictions on environmentally damaging practices in the UK’s marine protected areas.

Bottom-towing took place in 58 out of 64 offshore marine protected areas last year, according to new analysis from Global Fishing Watch (GFW) and conservation group Oceana reported by The Guardian.

Bottom trawling is a popular fishing technique as it helps to sweep up lots of fish in one go by dragging a net with heavy weights along the sea floor. But it also damages other sea life as it captures unwanted species and scrapes the sea bed, releasing carbon emissions as it does.

Dredging causes similar damage to the sea floor by dragging heavy metal dredges along it.

Greenpeace has described bottom trawling in marine protected areas as akin to “allowing bulldozers to plough through a protected forest”.

Last month, the UK government completely banned bottom-trawling and dredging in several marine protected areas.

The Department for Food, Environment and Rural Affairs saidit was stopping “damaging trawling and dredging in four marine protected areas” and had asked for evidence to support the management of 13 more sites.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/fishing-industry-bottom-scraping-protected-areas-b2090865.html