Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Good music  (Read 198271 times)

Steven

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic sea ice data and graphs
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Good music
« Reply #1200 on: August 23, 2020, 08:15:51 PM »
It seems that more than 90% of the content of this thread are oldies, which is overly repetitive in my opinion.  Anyway here are a couple more recent songs: 

Tame Impala - Let It Happen (2014)

and

The Raconteurs - Many Shades Of Black (2008)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1201 on: August 24, 2020, 02:16:16 AM »
Steven, I love Oldies. You apparently don’t. So post a bunch of your favorite songs, like the one you did. I am not supposed to be the only one on this thread. The more the merrier.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1202 on: August 24, 2020, 08:33:14 AM »
Steven, thanks for your post.
I think that music is >90% 'oldies'. Furthermore many types of music aren't made anymore and 'much of the wheel has already been invented'. So most (tonal) creativity in music expression has already been exploited.
There is still good music being made but for me, 1998 marked the end of the 'good music' era with the start of gangster rap, bitches and new 'rhythm&blues'. It is also personal taste of course but I do have arguments for older music. It often represents very different social era's, different ways of behaviour and show, different music types such as dixieland, bossa nova, close harmony and stomp. Political/protest songs such as from the 70's and 80's are hardly made anymore.
Then some people like Tom are still living their childhood memories because they give nice feelings of sentiment and perhaps better times.
If it's about song texts then there are so many beautiful ones already written. An old chest full of treasure. Please also look inside and not just at the lid of the chest and you might/will be positively surprised. It may be necessary to first widen your scope by being curious :).

Tom, you love oldies you write, but you don't seem to like songs from before ca. 1955. Nothing wrong with that but please be aware of the small time frame that you like.
Did you like the King Cole Trio song?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 08:39:36 AM by nanning »
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: August 24, 2020, 09:18:05 AM »
Sorry Steven, another oldie   :-[:P
Tom, you'll probably like this one.

Well made beautiful and sweet music.

The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me (1959)
(2m27)
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5252
« Reply #1204 on: August 24, 2020, 10:11:24 AM »
It seems that more than 90% of the content of this thread are oldies, which is overly repetitive in my opinion.
I agree. I'd love to see a larger spectrum here. Personally, I dig oldies, but also a ton of other stuff across pretty much all genres & timeframes. So, here y'all go:

If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1205 on: August 24, 2020, 12:38:30 PM »
I found "Nature Boy" a little "slow", but OK.
Here is this morning's offering from me:

When - The Kalin Twins (from Tom in Twinsburg)

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #1206 on: August 24, 2020, 10:06:52 PM »
My daughter's second boy friend would sing this at the receptions of weddings...to mixed results  :o

"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: August 24, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »
Given what is heading their general direction...this may also be timely (Cleveland, TX is just outside of Houston)

"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: August 24, 2020, 10:14:02 PM »
According to wiki, to which we all bow in total obeisance :) , this other great song was influenced by the last:

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: August 24, 2020, 10:17:30 PM »
And because I am missing my Sea Shanty sing along, where I hoped to lead this song...

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: August 24, 2020, 10:46:05 PM »
while we're doing good music and the band..."If you find me in a gloom..."

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: August 24, 2020, 10:52:58 PM »
And since I'm on a Band roll:

Given the increasingly dire news wrt arctic sea ice and agw generally...'the dawn don't rescue me...' is pretty much my story these days

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1212 on: August 24, 2020, 11:39:26 PM »

Here Comes Summer - Jerry Keller

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1213 on: August 24, 2020, 11:47:08 PM »

Spanish Harlem - Ben E. King

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1214 on: August 24, 2020, 11:50:03 PM »

I Love How You Love Me - Paris Sisters

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1215 on: August 24, 2020, 11:52:27 PM »

I Understand (Just How You Feel) Auld Lang Syne - G-Clefs

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1216 on: August 24, 2020, 11:53:49 PM »

Talk Back Trembling Lips - Johnny Tillotson

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1217 on: August 24, 2020, 11:55:48 PM »

Come Back When You Grow Up Girl - Bobby Vee

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1218 on: August 24, 2020, 11:57:35 PM »

Mixed Up Shook Up Girl - Patti & The Emblems

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1219 on: August 24, 2020, 11:59:58 PM »

Iko Iko - Dixie Cups

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1220 on: August 25, 2020, 12:02:04 AM »

Heartaches - The Marcels

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1221 on: August 25, 2020, 12:03:41 AM »

I'm Gonna Make You Mine - Lou Christie

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1222 on: August 25, 2020, 12:06:17 AM »

So Much In Love - The Tymes

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 25, 2020, 06:58:20 AM »
Thank you for those posts wili! Interesting and appropriate.
I love the Clarence Carter one. Added to my catalog :). Up until now I only had a 1968 song by him ("Slip Away").

Koop - Come To Me (2006)
(2m50)

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 25, 2020, 03:45:13 PM »
Glad you got a kick out of Clarence, nanning.

Nice light and jazzy piece there.

By the way, I am struggling to improve my very marginal Dutch. If you or others can post any good songs with (not too complicated :) ) Dutch lyrics, ideally with English subtitles, that may be helpful in my ongoing attempt to improve my aural comprehension.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: August 25, 2020, 06:37:59 PM »
Interesting wili. Netherlandic is not an easy language to learn. Do you know that Frisian is the only other language, together with English, in the Anglo-Saxian language group. So Frisian should be much easier for you to learn.

I will try to find an english translation of a clear spoken/sung Netherlandic song later.
I can send you a list of the Netherlandic music I have in my catalog. Then you can try yourself to find the accompanying lyrics and translate them via an online service.

This one is with the Netherlandic lyrics on screen. A dictionary should do wonders but I expect Netherlandic<->English ones hard to find in the U.S.A. .

Ramses Shaffy - Laat Me (nl) (1978)
(3m56)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1226 on: August 25, 2020, 06:54:00 PM »
Do you know that Frisian is the only other language, together with English, in the Anglo-Saxian language group.
There is also Scots and the extinct Yola and Fingalian:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Frisian_languages

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 25, 2020, 08:27:16 PM »
Thanks tons, nanning. I do have a couple dictionaries, both from my long life of scouring used book stores, and because I recently visited Utrecht to attend my daughter's wedding there (first flight in nearly two decades). I even scored and dictionary of Dutch word histories!

My reading is better than my hearing/speaking/writing.

I would indeed like to study Frisian, too, but...one thing at a time (more or less). I studies a bit of Old Frisian in Grad school, actually.

So keep those tunes a-comin'! :)

Edit to add: I got through Laat me. Nan, dude, that is your song! No possessions, no objections...Nice word plays. A bit schmalzy, but it's already started growing on me!

(And feel free to throw a Frisian song in there as well, if they are available)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:49:44 PM by wili »

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: August 25, 2020, 09:36:34 PM »

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 25, 2020, 10:39:31 PM »
Given the current trajectory of Laura, this song is, sadly, once again, newly relevant:

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #1230 on: August 26, 2020, 03:25:17 AM »
In the same vein, Led Zeppelin with "When the Levee Breaks".
For those who dislike loud rock music, Tori Amos shows what you can do with a piano and enough talent, performed live after Katrina.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 26, 2020, 08:28:53 AM »
Tom, if you look in the wikipedia page at 'classification' you see two main branches "Anglic" and "Frisian".
I stand corrected with mentioning "English" as the other one. English is apparently a subclass of "Anglic", so I should've written "Anglic" instead. Thanks for checking.

Wili, great to read. Makes me happy that you liked it and that it helped. Congrats for working through that text. You are at a higher leven than I presumed. I love the Randy Newman song.
Pleasantly surprised to see that you have 'Old Frisian' at grad school. Here in Fryslân you can't but we have a different education system. I have at school in Fryslân not had any classes in Frisian and my parents haven't thought us either. Like all first peoples, our culture is suppressed and I think the main core of our culture is our original language. Frisian people here are substituting many good Frisian words for Netherlandic ones.
I have taught myself Frisian in the past 1.5 year with help of a 1971 dictionary. This gave me a good position to observe how much daily Frisian has changed from 1971. The majority of phrases in that book and how to put things/grammar/spelling are not used anymore. e.g. Frisian people now often say "Probearje" in stead of Frisian "Besykje".
I also have learned a lot by cross-referencing Frisian words with English words. That way I was able in most cases to pick the original old Frisian form from a list a several words with the same meaning.

Boudewijn De Groot - Welterusten Mijnheer De President (nl) (1966)
(2m32)

More English lessons via music in the list on the youtube page.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 26, 2020, 08:56:45 AM »
Lyrics on screen in Frisian and Netherlandic.
Quite a simple text so not too difficult but stays only for a short time on the screen.

De Kast - In Nije Dei (fl) (1997)
(4m54)

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: August 26, 2020, 09:12:03 AM »
Thanks again, nanning. Too tired to look right now (it's 2 in the morning here, still 27 C, 65% humidity...not too pleasant sleeping weather). Plan to tomorrow.

I did want to add to the levee themed music with this Dylan piece:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:17:21 AM by wili »

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: August 28, 2020, 03:47:47 AM »
Sorry, another 'oldie' :)  I wasn't good enough or maybe disciplined enough to make it into the small choral group at my college that sang this. But I hung around to listen, and to be moved by this. Came to mind this evening as I was picking apples from my front yard to distribute to those who need it with my special chili tomorrow--Benjamin Britain's "Concord and Time" 'Each needeth each; the ripest fruit hangs where/ Not one, not one but only two/ Only two...can reach'

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: August 28, 2020, 10:24:08 AM »
Great additions wili. I also like the choir song. I like a lot of types of music, just not the modern popular types.

A great swinging song and clip from a brilliant and funny movie.

The Blues Brothers ft. Ray Charles - Shake A Tail Feather (1980)
(2m50)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1236 on: August 29, 2020, 12:54:09 PM »
Something by the Rifleman's son:

Cindy's Birthday - Johnny Crawford

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1237 on: August 29, 2020, 12:58:11 PM »
Something from Huckleberry Finn:

I'm Gonna Knock on Your Door - Eddie Hodges

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: August 30, 2020, 05:21:44 AM »
I love the Blues Brothers, thanks Nanning. IMO that scene also contains one of the most iconic images of Ray Charles:

Anywhooo, I was listening to this album out on the deck earlier, while smoking an Alec Bradley Prensado Churchill cigar with a few fingers of Laphroaig:

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: August 30, 2020, 08:37:14 AM »
Wow, yes that's a beautiful and artful image HapHazard.

Laphroaig was one of my favourite whiskeys. Subtle, rich and smoky.
By the sound of it, the cigar was possibly more expensive than the bottle of whiskey. A connaisseur? :)

"out on the deck"
You were listening on a ship out at sea?

This song may be something you like since it seems a bit in the same category as the one you posted.

Cusco - Dreamcatcher (1997)
(5m09)

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: August 30, 2020, 11:32:59 AM »
Beautiful Sundaymorning music.

"a bolero she wrote when she was only 16 years old."
"The song was created before Consuelo received her first kiss of love."

Consuelo Velázquez - Bésame Mucho (sp) (1961)
(2m47)

Steven

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic sea ice data and graphs
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1241 on: August 30, 2020, 04:43:37 PM »
Youssou N'Dour and Neneh Cherry - 7 Seconds (1994)

(Lyrics mostly in English, but some parts in French and Wolof)

and

Weezer - Island In The Sun (2001)

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 648
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #1242 on: August 31, 2020, 08:17:00 AM »
I like this version.....

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1243 on: September 01, 2020, 02:19:01 AM »
My fursona has another request:

Sly Mongoose - Jack Sneed & His Sneezers

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: September 01, 2020, 09:24:01 AM »
"The song is a protest song that comments on the media's obsession with bad news."
Keep the population fearful and in a censorship bubble

Hedgehoppers Anonymous - It's Good News Week (1965)
(2m07)

It's Good News Week
Writer: Jonathan King

It's good news week
Someone's dropped a bomb somewhere,
Contaminating atmosphere and blackening the sky

It's good news week
Someone's found a way to give
The rotting dead a will to live, go on and never die

Have you heard the news? What did it say?
Who's won that race? What's the weather like today?

It's good news week
Lots of blood in Asian hell, they've butchered up their sacred cow,
they've got a lot to eat

It's good news week
Doctors finding many ways of wrapping brains in metal trays
To keep us from the heat

It's good news week
Someone's dropped a bomb somewhere
Contaminating atmosphere and blackening the sky

It's good news week
Someone's found a way to give
The rotting dead a will to live, go on and never die

Have you heard the news? What did it say?
Who's won that race? What's the weather like today?

It's good news week
Lots of blood in Asian hell, they've butchered up their sacred cow,
they've got a lot to eat

It's good news week
Doctors finding many ways of wrapping brains in metal trays
To keep us from the heat
To keep us from the heat

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: September 01, 2020, 05:52:40 PM »
This is one of my favourite songs. Also to whistle.
wili, a nice excercise I think :).

Gerard Cox - 'T Is Weer Voorbij Die Mooie Zomer (nl) (1973)
(4m26)

Na nana nana
Na nana nanana nana
Na nanana na na nanana nana
Na nana na nana nanananananana

Je hebt er maandenlang naar uitgekeken
De koude winter wou maar eerst niet om
Traag en langzaam kropen langs de weken
Maar eindelijk, daar was ie toch: de zon

De nachten kort, de dagen lang
De ochtend vol van vogelzang
Het scherpe, hoge zoemen van een mug

Dan denk je: ha, daar is ie dan
Dit wordt minstens de zomer van een eeuw
Maar lieve mensen, oh wat gaat 't vlug

't Is weer voorbij die mooie zomer
Die zomer die begon zo wat in mei
Ah, je dacht dat er geen einde aan kon komen
Maar voor je 't weet is heel die zomer
Al weer lang voorbij
+
De wereld was toen vol van licht en leven
Van haring geur vermengd met zonnebrand
Een parasol om 't felle licht te zeven en in je kleren schuurde zacht het zand
We speelde golf en jeux de boule we zonden zalig in een stoel we dreven met een vlot op de rivier
We werden weken lang verwend maar ach aan alles komt een end nu zit ik met mijn dia's in de regen hier

Al weer lang voorbij
-
Na nana nana
Na nana nanana nana

Herfst verkleurt weer langzaam alle bomen
'k Heb 's nachts al lang weer m'n pyama aan
Dan had je eens in juli moeten komen
Toen sliepen we 's nachts buiten op 't strand

En 's morgens vissen in de zon
En zwemmen zover als je kon
We voeren met een boot een end op zee

't Is jammer dat het over ging
't Is allemaal herinnering
Daar doen we dan de hele winter maar weer mee

Al weer lang voorbij

Na nana nana
Na nana nanana nana

Lyrics licensed by LyricFind

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #1246 on: September 02, 2020, 10:31:22 PM »
Slayers Raining Blood played on the stylophone which is the thing which they used for all the old game sounds or at least that is what it sounds like.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 1260
« Reply #1247 on: September 03, 2020, 08:22:25 PM »
Better to start slamming my djembe than to post on the ASIF while drunk I though, and this awesome mix always gets me going...

90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1248 on: September 05, 2020, 09:17:53 AM »
This is may give you the shivers:

From the 2017 Staatsoper Berlin production of Purcell's King Arthur (1611), the Cold Song

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: September 05, 2020, 10:34:22 AM »
all the old game sounds
First thing's first: posting Slayer gets this from me:

\m/ (-_-) \m/

Secondly, a song in the genre of Chiptune (bonus: the band launched this album on my old website!)

nanning posted a protest song - here's one of my faves:

(musicians are cowards!)

Anyway, I came here to post this one, I was listening to it earlier outside, just kinda looking at the stars and the mountains across the valley... I just love the spoken word intro (these guys used to just interview random people on the street, and use excerpts in their songs)