Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: GOP Losing Ground for the 2018 Mid-Term Election  (Read 107234 times)

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
Re: GOP Losing Ground for the 2018 Mid-Term Election
« Reply #300 on: September 21, 2018, 06:43:57 AM »
Every single president since Eisenhower has been accused of being a crook, a fraud, a liar, a war criminal, an incompetent or a Traitor.
Oh, "don'T rump" is campaigning for all the above...... plus sexist(many times over), racist (many times over), xenophobe (many times over), indebted to putin (by hundreds of millions of dollars), & inserted into U.S. presidency by pumped putin propaganda patrol (once).

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #301 on: September 21, 2018, 09:30:44 AM »
The tide is REALLY starting to run against Kavanaugh. 

Where have you seen anything that shows that trend?

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #302 on: September 21, 2018, 09:41:10 AM »
.....the last two years, the NRA saw plummeting income from dues-paying members.....
Ah, the NRA, pretends they got no money. The propaganda NRA got lotsa dough from the Arms makers to talk & bribe the good fight.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #303 on: September 21, 2018, 02:22:50 PM »
In a NBC/Wall Street Journal poll...... support for Kavanaugh among Independents went down 31 points from August to September.  In August, Kavanaugh’s approval was 15 points MORE than his disapproval.  In September, his approval is 16 points LESS than his disapproval.  THAT is gobsmacking.  A 31 point swing in ONE MONTH.

And if Trump continues to push the Kavanaugh confirmation through ...... Republicans will pay a high price.  I expect Trump to do that.  That is a measure of just how much Trump needs Kavanaugh when Donnie starts going off the deep end.
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 22, 2018, 01:59:40 PM »
The Beto vs Ted Cruz debate for the Senate seat in Texas was last night.  I think both guys had their hands full.  I only saw some clips of it last night, but from what I saw and what I read, Beto did very well.

Ted is a seasoned and trained debater.  He has gone before the US Supreme Court many times.  Debating isn’t Teds weakness.  Being a dick who looks like he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room is his problem.  People REALLY don’t like him.

Beto is very sharp ..... and likeable.  Empathy isn’t something you can teach someone.  You either have it in your soul, or you don’t.  Beto can place himself in someone else’s shoes.

The Cook Political Report moved Texas to a tossup from lean Republican yesterday.  It looks like Beto’s debate outcome will also not hurt his chances.  This is STILL Cruz’s race to lose in RED Texas ... but it is getting more interesting by the day.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 22, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »
The Kavanaugh fiasco continues to hurt Republicans.  If I were Chuck Grassley and Mitch McConnel, I would ram through the Kavanaugh vote TODAY ..... before Kavanaugh’s approval rating goes to ZERO.

The Kavanaugh confirmation is being driven by Trump due to RussiaGate.  But Kavanaugh’s abysmal ratings MAY provide at least the Democrats in the Senate with “cover” to vote NO.  McCaskill has already come out and said she would vote no.  We’ll see what happens in North Dakota, West Virginia, Montana, etc.

And then there is Maine, Alaska, and Arizona.  Will anyone have balls on the Republican side to vote NO?  Jeff Flake appears to be neutered.... so I’m not holding my breath.  Murkowski in Alaska is the most likely no vote ..... but the Dems would need TWO Republican no votes (assuming ALL the Dems voted no).

Kavanaugh is going to continue to weigh on the polling of Congressmen through the election.  The Republicans have really handled this poorly, and Independents are leaving them in droves.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 06:41:06 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 22, 2018, 02:54:41 PM »
I would stay away from the Gosar family this Thanksgiving.  Paul Gosar is running for re-election in the 4th Congressional District in Arizona (he’s a Republican) ... and SIX of his brothers and sisters have participated in an advertisement for his seat.

What’s so unusual about that you ask?  Well ... the advertising is FOR THE DEMOCRAT that Gosar is running AGAINST.

That’s right ..... 6 of his siblings are part of an ad against their brother.

Please pass the gravey ...

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #307 on: September 23, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »
The Kavanaugh fiasco continues to hurt Republicans.  If I were Chuck Grassley and Mitch McConnel, I would ram through the Kavanaugh vote TODAY ..... before Kavanaugh’s approval rating goes to ZERO.

UNLESS, it turns out that the whole thing was a nothingburger (still possible) and the Dems's will hurt so badly ( and all the media,celebrities) and the confirmation will be all the easier with extra points for the GOP.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #308 on: September 23, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »

UNLESS, it turns out that the whole thing was a nothingburger (still possible) and the Dems's will hurt so badly ( and all the media,celebrities) and the confirmation will be all the easier with extra points for the GOP.

Yes, that would be big self-inflicted implosion.  Without corroboration, her allegations are becoming suspect.  Still, we shall see how the public responds.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #309 on: September 23, 2018, 04:04:09 PM »
Yes, that would be big self-inflicted implosion.  Without corroboration, her allegations are becoming suspect.  Still, we shall see how the public responds.
What is called when someone gives conditions that have already been met?  Some corroboration from a former classmate (now living in Mexico) exists.  There's her husband's statement and therapist's notes and her lie-detector test. There's corroboration of his HS drinking problem.  There's his saying recently that their motto of what happened there (in HS) stays there is a comfort (or words to that effect).  There is his unwillingness to talk about his HS sex life behind closed doors with friendly administration personnel.  Not proof, but definitely corroborating evidence.

Or is the only acceptable corroboration, in your opinion, a high-def video with sound, showing them from the hour before through the described attack?

It is apparent he was really slimy back then.  I think (my opinion, now) he still is.

And yes, Democrats have their slimy members, too.  (I think NJ's Senator Menendez should be kicked out of the Senate by the Senate.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #310 on: September 23, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »

. . .
Not proof, but definitely corroborating evidence.
 . . .

Quite right, there's a substantial body of corroborating evidence. There's also the detail that the third person in the room refuses to come forward. 

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the thought that the actions of a drunken 17 year-old boy shouldn't be used to torpedo the career of the man 30 years later.  The larger issue is whether he's lying about his past right now.  There's strong evidence that he lied to the Senate about his use of stolen emails, perhaps a couple of other matters.

It's certainly possible that he simply doesn't remember this drunken episode, that he's being sincere in his denial.  But then he'd be expected to be able to pass a lie detector test.  Ordinarily, I'd object to the idea of subjecting a nominee to a lie detector test.  In this case, it may be the only way to establish his honesty, when there are credible reasons to doubt his honesty.

In all, there may be enough legitimate questions to enable all the Dems to vote against, as well as a couple of Repubes.  We can only hope.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 23, 2018, 06:20:15 PM »

. . .
Not proof, but definitely corroborating evidence.
 . . .

Quite right, there's a substantial body of corroborating evidence. There's also the detail that the third person in the room refuses to come forward. 

I'm somewhat sympathetic to the thought that the actions of a drunken 17 year-old boy shouldn't be used to torpedo the career of the man 30 years later.  The larger issue is whether he's lying about his past right now.  There's strong evidence that he lied to the Senate about his use of stolen emails, perhaps a couple of other matters.

It's certainly possible that he simply doesn't remember this drunken episode, that he's being sincere in his denial.  But then he'd be expected to be able to pass a lie detector test.  Ordinarily, I'd object to the idea of subjecting a nominee to a lie detector test.  In this case, it may be the only way to establish his honesty, when there are credible reasons to doubt his honesty.

In all, there may be enough legitimate questions to enable all the Dems to vote against, as well as a couple of Repubes.  We can only hope.

There is quite a bit of speculation that the third “witness” refuses to come forward, because he is not the innocent bystander.  Regarding corroborating evidence, heresay does not count.  There is still too little evidence to come to any conclusion yet.  So far, it has been divided along political lines.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 23, 2018, 06:28:36 PM »
  Regarding corroborating evidence, heresay does not count.  There is still too little evidence to come to any conclusion yet.  So far, it has been divided along political lines.

Hearsay is inadmissible in a criminal trial, but this isn't a prosecution.  A standard of proof of evidence used to send someone to prison doesn't really apply to appointing a person to the Supreme Court.  Credible questions of truthfulness and character should suffice to say a given person isn't a sterling candidate.  In this context, there is a substantial body of relevant corroboration.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 23, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »
  Regarding corroborating evidence, heresay does not count.  There is still too little evidence to come to any conclusion yet.  So far, it has been divided along political lines.

Hearsay is inadmissible in a criminal trial, but this isn't a prosecution.  A standard of proof of evidence used to send someone to prison doesn't really apply to appointing a person to the Supreme Court.  Credible questions of truthfulness and character should suffice to say a given person isn't a sterling candidate.  In this context, there is a substantial body of relevant corroboration.

Thus far, questions of truthfulness and character apply to both.  Obviously, that cannot be the class.  I have yet to see any corroborating evidence presented.  What do you know that can be added?

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #314 on: September 23, 2018, 07:37:07 PM »
However well the US system works, we can watch it in action this coming Thursday at 10am E.T.:

Title: "Kavanaugh accuser agrees to testify on Thursday"

https://www.axios.com/kavanaugh-accuser-senate-judiciary-committee-hearing-d798f372-5f82-4094-a3f3-5260c5e45b1e.html

Extract: "Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who accused Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her in high school, has officially agreed to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday at 10 a.m. ET.

The details: Per Ford's attorneys, no decision has been made about whether senators or staff attorneys will be asking questions. The committee has also refused to subpoena Mark Judge, who Ford says was present in the room when Kavanaugh assaulted — or any other witnesses.

"We made important progress on our call this morning with Senate Judiciary Committee staff members.  We committed to moving forward with an open hearing on Thursday Sept 27 at 10:00 am. Despite actual threats to her safety and her life, Dr. Ford believes it is important for Senators to hear directly from her about the sexual assault committed against her.  She has agreed to move forward with a hearing even though the Committee has refused to subpoena Mark Judge. They have also refused to invite other witnesses who are essential for a fair hearing that arrives at the truth about the sexual assault.  A number of important procedural and logistical issues remain unresolved, although they will not impede the hearing taking place.  Among those issues is who on the Majority side will be asking the questions, whether senators or staff attorneys.  We were told no decision has been made on this important issue, even though various senators have been dismissive of her account and should have to shoulder their responsibility to ask her questions.  Nor were we told when we would have that answer or answers to the other unresolved issues. We look forward to hearing back from the Majority staff as soon as possible on these important matters."

— Attorneys for Dr. Christine Blasey Ford
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 23, 2018, 07:40:09 PM »
The Democrats are steadily pulling ahead of the GOP in the 2018 midterm polls:

Title: "New poll shows Democrats' lead expanding ahead of midterms"

https://www.axios.com/2018-midterm-elections-democrats-lead-44e9aac9-085c-41df-b8d0-f25f9749d7fc.html

Extract: "52% of registered voters would like to see the Democrats control Congress after the November elections, while 40% prefer Republicans, according to a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll.

Why it matters: This is the biggest lead Democrats have held yet in midterm polling from NBC/WSJ, and it's bolstered by figures that show more Democrats turned out in House primaries than Republicans for the first time since 2008. The poll also indicates, however, that Republican enthusiasm for the midterms has increased."
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 11:52:22 PM by AbruptSLR »
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #316 on: September 23, 2018, 08:58:19 PM »
Could the Kavinaugh hearings be increasing Republican's chances in the coming elections?

According to 538 polls both Trump and the Republicans have seen their numbers increase strongly since Sept 12th. Trump's approval rating jumped from 40.6% to 43.8% among likely voters while the Democratic lead slipped from a 9.4% lead to an 8.8% today.

This could be a blip in the polling numbers, could be a factor of independents coming down from the fence they had been straddling, but it could also be a reaction by prospective voters to what some perceive as an unwarranted attack on Kavinaugh over an incident that may or may not have occurred some 30 years ago when he was a 17 year old student.

I'd hate to be held accountable for my actions as a teen, and it may be that many share this perspective. What actually occurred will almost certainly never be agreed on, but the fairness of bringing up this accusation under these circumstances is being weighed by the voting public.

Kavinaugh will almost certainly not be a Supreme Court Justice whose rulings I'll approve of, but the party of JFK and Bill Clinton attacking him as a sexual predator might be seen as opportunistic or even hypocritical at first blush.

Terry

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #317 on: September 23, 2018, 09:19:58 PM »
ASLR: That should be 52% for the Dems, not 2%! :)
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 23, 2018, 09:54:42 PM »
Trump's Republicans are doing such an abysmal job of running the country that a Blue Tsunami should sweep the land this November, yet Democrats and their supporting media seem to ignore real evidence of corruption, stupidity, and errors in judgement while chasing after issues that are of minor importance at best.

Trump supplies arms and personnel to aid the KSA's war against Yemen, while we scream that he hasn't bombed Syria - enough.

Republicans make a laughing stock of the EPA, and we accuse them of bullying Ford.

Trump begins and escalates a trade war against China, as we castigate him for speaking with Putin.

Trump tears up Obamacare, while we ignore the consensus that favors single payer.

I believe we're leaving many voters with the impression that the Trump Republicans can't really be too bad, because otherwise we'd attack them over substantial issues rather than hounding them for the same kind of things that they used to attack us for doing when we were in power.

Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 23, 2018, 11:53:49 PM »
ASLR: That should be 52% for the Dems, not 2%! :)

I have corrected my cut & paste error
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:06:53 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 24, 2018, 12:10:45 AM »
The linked article makes it clear that the GOP can no longer claim to be the competent party, and consequently they will pay with lost votes in the coming midterms:

Title: "Kavanaugh: How The Republican Leadership Broke The Four Rules Of Crisis Management"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2018/09/23/how-the-republican-leadership-broke-the-four-rules-of-crisis-management/#677fc3a768d7

Extract: "It remains to be seen what happens at the hearing of Ford and Kavanaugh, now apparently confirmed for September 27. Through failure to adhere to the rules of crisis management, there is now greater-than-zero chance that Kavanaugh will not be confirmed.

Moreover the Republicans have guaranteed that Democrats will be even more energized going into the mid-term elections in November. The Republican brand with women also risks being further weakened.

Perhaps most seriously, through politicizing the nomination process, the authenticity and apolitical character of the Supreme Court has been jeopardized."

― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 24, 2018, 02:28:17 AM »
Once again, the roach theory is rearing it’s ugly head.  You knew, with a person of Kavanaugh’s party background and friends like Mr. Judge ...... that the professor was NOT going to be the last alledged victim.

And now their are 3 alledged victims, a client of Michael Avenatti’s now being the third alledged victim.

Donnie is not going to want to drop Kavanaugh for the SCOTUS position.  Kavanaugh is indebted to Trump AND Kavanaugh is also easily blackmailed.  THAT is perfect for Trump.

Will the Senate Judiciary Committee continue to push Kavanaugh through?  The polls numbers for Kavanaugh AND the Republicans continue to go south.

Ball is in Mitch and Donnie’s court.  Pressure kills ....

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 24, 2018, 03:12:01 AM »

And now their are 3 alledged victims, a client of Michael Avenatti’s now being the third alledged victim.

A detailed report of the 2nd case, Ramirez, is in the New Yorker:

Senate Democrats Investigate a New Allegation of Sexual Misconduct, from Brett Kavanaugh’s College Years
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/senate-democrats-investigate-a-new-allegation-of-sexual-misconduct-from-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaughs-college-years-deborah-ramirez

Standing on its own, it's a relatively weak account.  But it tends to support the first account. 

The country deserves Supreme Court justices who don't have such clouds around their character.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 24, 2018, 03:41:46 AM »
Here is a link to an article about Avenatti's claims:

Title: "Avenatti claims client has 'credible information' on Kavanaugh, ex-classmate"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/avenatti-claims-client-has-credible-information-on-kavanaugh-ex-classmate/ar-AAAxZyn?ocid=spartandhp

Extract: "Michael Avenatti, the lawyer representing adult-film actress Stormy Daniels, announced Sunday that he is representing a client with "credible information" regarding Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and his former classmate, Mark Judge.

"I represent a woman with credible information regarding Judge Kavanaugh and Mark Judge," Avenatti said on Twitter. "We will be demanding the opportunity to present testimony to the committee and will likewise be demanding that Judge and others be subpoenaed to testify."

"The nomination must be withdrawn," he added."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 24, 2018, 04:34:34 PM »
Just a brief walk back into history ..... and RECENT history at that.  It is a “tried and true” strategy to “deny .... deny .... deny” any and all allegations against you.  Let’s take a look at the history of denial over the last 50 years or so:

1). Nixon.  This is the obvious one.  Even after he was caught.  In an interview with David Frost, years after Nixon resigned .... he still couldn’t bring himself to admit guilt.

2). Jose Cansako:  Ex Major League Baseball player.  He denied using performance enhancing drugs for years.  He FINALLY admitted to it decades after he retired.

3). Lance Armstrong:  Denied using PED’s.  He was a cyclist that won countless Tour de France races .... using PED’s and wasn’t shy about trashing ANYONE who crossed him about the subject.

4). Bill Cosby.  He denied (and still denies) using date rape drugs to sexually attack women.

5). Trump:  He denies any and all allegations against, even though we know at least some of them (and most likely MOST of them) are true.

You could also talk about Roger Ailes and Bill O’Reilly Of FOX News fame, who denied sexual allegations against them.  Unfortunately for Roger ... there were TAPES.  Lordy there were tapes.

The obviously correct road .... is to have the FBI investigate the 3 allegations BEFORE Senators address the issue with Kavenaugh and his accusers in open Senate questioning before the Senate Judiciary Committee.  Will that happen?  No way.   Donnie needs another judge on the SCOTUS and he is not going to let this one get away if there is any way possible to get him through.

Independents and women continue to drift away from Trump and the Republicans in the polls as they refuse to do the right thing and investigate the charges.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 24, 2018, 06:48:41 PM »
No wonder the GOP won't let Mark Judge testify at the Kavanaugh hearing:

Title: "This Is the Most Disturbing Paragraph in the New Kavanaugh Story"

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-confirmation-elizabeth-rasor-contradicts-mark-judges-claims-about-sexual-misconduct-at-georgetown-prep.html

Extract: "Christine Blasey Ford has accused Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her at a drunken party while Judge was in the room. As Ford tells it, Judge at points even egged Kavanaugh on, telling him to “go for it” as he tried to remove her clothing. Judge has said he has “no recollection of the incident” and has characterized the allegations as completely unrealistic and out of character. “I can recall a lot of rough-housing with guys,” he said in an interview with the Weekly Standard. “I don’t remember any of that stuff going on with girls.”

Rasor, however, says that’s not true and is coming forward to contradict his claim. “Under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t reveal information that was told in confidence,” Rasor said. But she said that “I can’t stand by and watch him lie.” The New Yorker summarizes why Rasor says Judge was being disingenuous claiming that there weren’t incidents of “rough-housing” with female students at Georgetown Prep:

Rasor recalled that Judge had told her ashamedly of an incident that involved him and other boys taking turns having sex with a drunk woman. Rasor said that Judge seemed to regard it as fully consensual. She said that Judge did not name others involved in the incident, and she has no knowledge that Kavanaugh participated. But Rasor was disturbed by the story and noted that it undercut Judge’s protestations about the sexual innocence of Georgetown Prep.

Judge’s lawyer says he “categorically denies” Rasor’s claim.

But Rasor isn’t alone. Another woman, who asked to remain anonymous, also disputed Judge’s claims about the culture at Georgetown Prep. She said that it was common for male students to “get a female student blind drunk” on a mixture of grain alcohol and Hawaiian Punch that they called “jungle juice” and then try to take advantage of her. “It was disgusting,” she said. “They treated women like meat.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 24, 2018, 06:53:24 PM »
It will be interesting to see whether the GOP allows Avenatti's witnesses to testify in the Kavanaugh hearings:

Title: "What does Michael Avenatti have on Brett Kavanaugh? What we know so far."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/24/17896136/michael-avenatti-email-brett-kavanaugh-devils-triangle

Extract: "The attorney began to post emails between himself and Mike Davis, the chief counsel for nominations for the Senate Judiciary Committee, in which Avenatti claimed that he has “significant evidence” of parties in Washington, DC, during the 1980s during which Kavanaugh, Judge, and others would “participate in the targeting of women with alcohol/drugs in order to allow a ‘train’ of men to subsequently gang rape them.” He also tweeted about one of Kavanaugh’s yearbook entries and called for Judge to testify under oath to the judiciary panel."
Exactly what information Avenatti has — or whom he’s representing — isn’t known. The flamboyant lawyer with 2020 presidential aspirations shared on Twitter another email to Davis outlining his requests for the committee, followed by a tweet touting a court appearance with Daniels later in the day."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 24, 2018, 08:24:42 PM »
The Maryland police are prepared to investigate allegation of 4th sexual-misconduct against Kavanaugh:

Title: "Kavanaugh May Face 4th Sexual-Misconduct Allegation: Report"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kavanaugh-may-face-4th-sexual-misconduct-allegation-report

Extract: "Maryland authorities confirmed Monday that they are aware of a second accusation of sexual assault in Montgomery County against Supreme Court Justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh, according to a report from The Sentinel. Authorities were extremely vague about the claims, which allegedly came from an anonymous witness and are said to concern Kavanaugh’s behavior during his senior year of high school. No complaints have been filed formally. “We are prepared to investigate if the victim wants to report to us,” the Montgomery County police chief told the paper, “and we can determine [if] it occurred in the county.”

If the alleged accuser does file a complaint, the Sentinel notes, it could bring the number of women accusing Kavanaugh to four: Christine Blasey Ford, Deborah Ramirez—whose allegations were revealed in another explosive New Yorker piece Sunday night—lawyer Michael Avenatti’s purported client, and the Montgomery County woman."
― Leon C. Megginson

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 24, 2018, 08:28:51 PM »
Perhaps you should try posting articles was more credible and less biased sites. 

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 24, 2018, 09:35:15 PM »
"Kavanaugh May Face 4th Sexual-Misconduct Allegation: Report"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kavanaugh-may-face-4th-sexual-misconduct-allegation-report

"Maryland authorities confirmed Monday that they are aware of a second accusation of sexual assault in Montgomery County against Supreme Court Justice nominee Brett Kavanaugh, according to a report from The Sentinel. Authorities were extremely vague about the claims, which allegedly came from an anonymous witness and are said to concern Kavanaugh’s behavior during his senior year of high school. No complaints have been filed formally. “We are prepared to investigate if the victim wants to report to us,” the Montgomery County police chief told the paper, “and we can determine [if] it occurred in the county.”

If the alleged accuser does file a complaint, the Sentinel notes, it could bring the number of women accusing Kavanaugh to four: Christine Blasey Ford, Deborah Ramirez—whose allegations were revealed in another explosive New Yorker piece Sunday night—lawyer Michael Avenatti’s purported client, and the Montgomery County woman...

Thanks, ASLR. I hadn't heard of that one. Wow, is this guy turning out to be a slimebag!
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: September 24, 2018, 09:40:18 PM »

As for:
Rasor recalled that Judge had told her ashamedly of an incident that involved him and other boys taking turns having sex with a drunk woman. Rasor said that Judge seemed to regard it as fully consensual. She said that Judge did not name others involved in the incident, and she has no knowledge that Kavanaugh participated. But Rasor was disturbed by the story and noted that it undercut Judge’s protestations about the sexual innocence of Georgetown Prep.

Judge’s lawyer says he “categorically denies” Rasor’s claim.

But Rasor isn’t alone. Another woman, who asked to remain anonymous, also disputed Judge’s claims about the culture at Georgetown Prep. She said that it was common for male students to “get a female student blind drunk” on a mixture of grain alcohol and Hawaiian Punch that they called “jungle juice” and then try to take advantage of her. “It was disgusting,” she said. “They treated women like meat.”

Sooo, this was the company Kav was keeping. Really nice bunch of guys!

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 24, 2018, 09:50:26 PM »
Perhaps you should try posting articles was more credible and less biased sites.

The Daily Beast appears to be bipartisan, and has received notable awards:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Daily_Beast

The cited report appears to draw chiefly from the Mongomery County Sentinel:
UPDATED: SUPREME COURT NOMINEE KAVANAUGH DEFENDS HIMSELF AGAINST ACCUSERS
https://mont.thesentinel.com/2018/09/24/supreme-court-nominee-kavanaugh-faces-more-allegations/

"Government investigators confirmed Monday they’re aware of a potential second sexual assault complaint in the county against former Georgetown Prep student and Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh.

While investigators weren’t specific and spoke on background, they said they are looking at allegations made against Kavanaugh during his senior year in high school after an anonymous witness voluntarily came forward to speak with them this weekend.

This would potentially bring the number to four women accusing Kavanaugh of wrongdoing"

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 24, 2018, 10:06:03 PM »
Note the following:

1). Donnie ABSOLUTELY wants Kavanaugh, even if it costs him the House.  As long as he doesn’t lose the Senate .... he thinks he can survive, because he thinks he can get the required 1/3 of the Senate to NOT oust him.  But he needs Kavanaugh because there WILL be issues going to Supreme Court.

2). Donnie can’t go TOO batshit crazy before the elections in November ... but he has to get STARTED SOON because come end of January ..... AND he loses the House ... he won’t have as much latitude, so he may fire Rosenstein on Thursday.  Either way .... as I have been saying for many months ... Rosenstein’s days are numbered.  And Sessions are numbered as well.  Trump HAS to stop or “bury” the investigation.  If I were a good FBI investigator, I would have already prepared for this ... and we may, in the future, have another deepthroat or two.

3). The key period to watch will be after the election but BEFORE the next Congress is seated near the end of January.  I expect Trump to turn “hyper agressive” and get things in place (whether by hook or crook) before the next Congress is seated (assuming that the Dem’s win the House ... which is NOT a slam dunk by any means).

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:40:36 PM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 24, 2018, 10:26:03 PM »
In two days, we should know a lot more about the 3rd accuser:

Title: "Kavanaugh tells Senate he won't withdraw"

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/24/trump-kavanaugh-allegations-totally-political-837684

Extract: "Michael Avenatti, the lawyer for Stormy Daniels, alluded to a third Kavanaugh accuser in posts on Twitter on Sunday night. So far, Avenatti has offered no details on these new accusations, but said he will release details about the woman in the next 48 hours.

Avenatti, who has been publishing on Twitter the details of his discussions with the Judiciary Committee, said his clients is no longer a government employee but that she still holds a security clearance.

“She’s had multiple security clearances over the years, including public trust and secret security clearance,” he said. Avenatti would not discuss any more specifics of his client’s allegations."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 25, 2018, 04:22:05 PM »
Where there's smoke there's fire:

Title: "Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's Yale roommate says he believes second accuser"

https://abc7news.com/4330055/

Extract: "Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's roommate from Yale says he believes the second woman accusing Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:45:20 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 25, 2018, 04:34:43 PM »
In my opinion, the Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee should hire Michael Avenatti to question Kavanaugh on Thursday, in order to better expose his pattern of predatory behavior:

Title: "Press: Judge Kavanaugh must withdraw"

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/408182-press-judge-kavanaugh-must-withdraw

Extract: "There’s only one reasonable option left: To save the reputation of the Supreme Court and to spare the Republican Party any further embarrassment, Kavanaugh should withdraw his nomination. At this point, with more women coming forward every day, even holding another hearing on his nomination would be a farce."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 25, 2018, 05:04:54 PM »
No later than tomorrow, Avenatti should reveal the name of his client (the 3rd accuser):

Title: "Michael Avenatti Warns Trump, Kavanaugh: ‘Be Very, Very Careful’ About What You Do Next"

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/michael-avenatti-brett-kavanaugh-trump-accuser_us_5ba9bf39e4b0181540dff92b

Extract: "On Monday night, Stormy Daniels’ lawyer told CNN’s Chris Cuomo that the woman was “both” a witness and a victim of Kavanaugh’s …

Avenatti leveled accusations at Kavanaugh in a tweet on Sunday that showed what appeared to be a screenshot of an email sent to the chief counsel for nominations to the Senate Judiciary Committee. In the email, he claimed to have “significant evidence” that Kavanaugh and a friend from high school participated in “targeting” women at house parties with “alcohol/drugs.”"
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 25, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »
There is a lot of focus on whether Collins will sell out the #MeToo movement (and other law-abiding citizens):

Title: "Kavanaugh’s fate rests with Sen. Collins"

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/408193-kavanaughs-fate-rests-with-sen-collins

Extract: "Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), a prominent moderate voice and one of the Senate’s most conscientious members, is poised to make or break Brett Kavanaugh’s chance at becoming a Supreme Court justice.

A big reason for that is several Senate colleagues are waiting to see what Collins will do before announcing their positions.

Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) has asked centrist members of his caucus to keep their powder dry on Kavanaugh until they know where all Republicans stand.
And GOP senators will need to take a position if Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) follows through with Monday’s promise to eventually hold an up-or-down vote on the floor.

Senate Republican aides think that Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) will likely vote the same way as Collins, who thus far has played a more vocal role in the debate over Kavanaugh.
“We’re talking about a jury of one: Susan Collins,” said a senior GOP aide.

“When you look at Murkowski and even Flake, no one lets Collins get to the left of them, so she’s going to be the lodestar here,” the source added, referring Sen. Jeff Flake (Ariz.), who is seen as another GOP swing vote."

&

Even if Susan Collins, sells out, it is still possible that neither Murkowski nor Flake will:

Title: "Murkowski: FBI investigation into Kavanaugh would ‘clear up all the questions’"

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/408258-murkowski-fbi-investigation-into-kavanaugh-would-clear-up-all-the-questions

Extract: " Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) on Tuesday said an FBI investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Brett Kavanaugh would "clear up all the questions" surrounding the Supreme Court nominee.

“It would sure clear up all the questions, wouldn’t it?” she said when asked if there should be a further FBI investigation into the nominee's past."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 25, 2018, 05:40:24 PM »
It is alarming how Kavanaugh's recollections do not match those of his classmates:

Title: "The Most Alarming Thing About Brett Kavanaugh’s Interview on Fox News"

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-fox-news-interview-sexual-assault.html

Extract: "This image of a nearly irreproachable Kavanaugh clashes with Judge’s account of their youthful foibles; in his book Wasted: Tales of a Gen X Drunk, Judge described a “Bart O’Kavanaugh” vomiting in cars and passing out during benders. Clearly aware of this contradiction, Kavanaugh admitted that, “Yes, there were parties” and that “people might’ve had too many beers on occasion.” But in the interview on Fox News, he denied drinking to the point of blacking out and said, with respect to the allegations of sexual assault, “I’ve never, never done anything like this.”

In his hearings and in Monday’s interview, there was a consistent pattern in what Kavanaugh remembered and what he forgot. He doesn’t remember seeing Alex Kozinski, his friend and mentor for more than a quarter-century, engage in sexual harassment—even though multiple victims have alleged that Kozinski’s inappropriate behavior was frequent and relentless.

He does know that he himself never committed sexual abuse, and that any claims to the contrary are “smears, pure and simple.” Kavanaugh doesn’t remember receiving sexually explicit emails that Kozinski blasted out to his associates on a regular basis, and apparently can’t be bothered to search his records for them."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 25, 2018, 06:33:59 PM »
Again, why does Kavanaugh remember the past differently than his classmates?

Title: "Kavanaugh claims he had a sterling reputation at Yale, is immediately shot down by ex-roommate"

https://thinkprogress.org/kavanaugh-fox-news-interview-yale-reputation-ramirez-james-roche-assault-allegation-party-e17377f2f203/

Extract: "During his interview on Fox News that aired Monday evening, Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh cited his college reputation as evidence he’s been falsely accused by former Yale classmate Deborah Ramirez, who told the New Yorker Kavanaugh once thrust his genitals into her face at a party.

“The women I knew in college and the men I knew in college say it’s inconceivable that I could have done such a thing,” he said.

But around the same time Kavanaugh was making that claim on Fox News, his former Yale roommate, James Roche, told the Bay Area ABC affiliate that he believes Ramirez."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:24:51 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 25, 2018, 07:25:21 PM »
Why doesn't Kavanaugh take a polygraph test?

Title: "Third Kavanaugh accuser, a former US Mint employee, '100 percent credible,' Avenatti says"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/09/24/brett-kavanaugh-avenatti-third-accuser-emerge-48-hours/1416699002/

Extract: "… Avenatti told reporters he has been hired by a former employee of both the State Department and the U.S. Mint who has information of a sexual nature about Kavanaugh and his high school friend Mark Judge.

“It will relate to how they behaved at countless house parties,’’ Avenatti said.

Avenatti also told reporters the woman, whom he did not name, has multiple security clearances and will “literally risk her life’’ by coming forward. He called her “100 percent credible,’’ saying she has multiple witnesses to corroborate her story and would be willing to take a polygraph if Kavanaugh does as well."
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 25, 2018, 07:25:56 PM »

Kavanaugh doesn’t remember receiving sexually explicit emails that Kozinski blasted out to his associates on a regular basis, and apparently can’t be bothered to search his records for them."

Are you claiming that email was available at Yale in the late 1960's, or that a high school friend was regularly boasting of his teen aged sexual conquests decades after they occurred? Neither seems entirely plausible.

As someone who experienced the "sexual revolution" as it played out in Southern California, it's sounding very much as though Kavanaugh and his immediate peers were locked into a moral climate that would have found a home in the mid 1950's. Back when sex was dirty, but the air was clean. 8)
Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 25, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »
Apparently, as a US Supreme Court nominee, Kavaaugh feels entitled to make as many false statements to Fox News as he feels like:

Title: "Kavanaugh says it was legal for seniors to drink when he was in high school, but Maryland's drinking age was raised to 21 when he was 17"

https://www.businessinsider.com/maryland-drinking-age-could-brett-kavanaugh-legally-drink-high-school-2018-9

Extract: "As the backdrop to these allegations, Kavanaugh has been portrayed as an eager participant in a hard-partying culture at his elite all-boys high school, Georgetown Preparatory, and as a college student at Yale University, where he was a member of a fraternity and an all-male secret society, Truth and Courage, nicknamed "Tit and Clit."

Both of Kavanaugh's accusers say he was intoxicated when the alleged misconduct occurred in high school and college.

At one point during the Monday interview, Kavanaugh addressed Georgetown Prep's drinking culture.

"Yes, there were parties," Kavanaugh told Fox host Martha MacCallum. "And the drinking age was 18, and yes, the seniors were legal and had beer there. And yes, people might have had too many beers on occasion and people generally in high school — I think all of us have probably done things we look back on in high school and regret or cringe a bit."

But Maryland's drinking age for beer and wine was legally changed from 18 to 21 in July 1982, during the summer before Kavanaugh's senior year. It had already been 21 for hard liquor.

Residents who had turned 18 by that time were grandfathered in and allowed to drink. Kavanaugh was 17 at the time."
― Leon C. Megginson

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 25, 2018, 07:47:41 PM »
Terry,
Alex Kozinski, per Wikipedia:
(born July 23, 1950)[1] is a former United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, where he served from 1985 until announcing his retirement on December 18, 2017, after a growing number of allegations of improper sexual conduct and abusive practices toward law clerks.[2] Kozinski was chief judge of that court from November 2007 to December 1, 2014.
(Read on in the wiki article for some details of his sordid reputation.)
Brett Kavanaugh clerked for him.  Some people find in incongruous that he didn't notice anything.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 25, 2018, 07:51:15 PM »

Kavanaugh doesn’t remember receiving sexually explicit emails that Kozinski blasted out to his associates on a regular basis, and apparently can’t be bothered to search his records for them."

Are you claiming that email was available at Yale in the late 1960's, or that a high school friend was regularly boasting of his teen aged sexual conquests decades after they occurred? Neither seems entirely plausible.

As someone who experienced the "sexual revolution" as it played out in Southern California, it's sounding very much as though Kavanaugh and his immediate peers were locked into a moral climate that would have found a home in the mid 1950's. Back when sex was dirty, but the air was clean. 8)
Terry

I am not sure why you are talking about emails in the 1960's, when Kavanaugh was 17-years old in 1982, and emails were in common use by that time (indeed I was using emails in 1982):

Title: "Email"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email

Extract: "Invented by Ray Tomlinson, email first entered limited use in the 1960s and by the mid-1970s had taken the form now recognized as email."
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 25, 2018, 08:00:17 PM »
Terry,
Alex Kozinski, per Wikipedia:
(born July 23, 1950)[1] is a former United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, where he served from 1985 until announcing his retirement on December 18, 2017, after a growing number of allegations of improper sexual conduct and abusive practices toward law clerks.[2] Kozinski was chief judge of that court from November 2007 to December 1, 2014.
(Read on in the wiki article for some details of his sordid reputation.)
Brett Kavanaugh clerked for him.  Some people find in incongruous that he didn't notice anything.

I'd also mentally added ~20 years to their ages.
Must learn to drink my coffee prior to posting. :-[

(They still sound like a bunch of kids who hadn't yet discovered the joys of America's favorite indoor sport.)
Terry

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 25, 2018, 08:02:10 PM »
Apparently, as a US Supreme Court nominee, Kavaaugh feels entitled to make as many false statements to Fox News as he feels like:

Title: "Kavanaugh says it was legal for seniors to drink when he was in high school, but Maryland's drinking age was raised to 21 when he was 17"
Actually, I don't see the lie, just legalese:  presuming Mr. Kavanaugh was in high school for three or four years (some schools had HS start in 10th grade), for most of the time he was in HS, older seniors (that is, 18-year-olds) could legally drink alcohol.  He didn't, apparently, say, "When I was a senior, I could legally drink."

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 25, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »
Kavanaugh's virginity defense doesn't pass the sniff test :o:

Title: "Brett Kavanaugh Claims Past Virginity As Defense Against Sexual Assault Claims"
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/brett-kavanaugh-virgin-high-school_us_5ba96904e4b0375f8f9fcf9a

Extract: "It should go without saying that virginity does not mean a person is not capable of drunkenly groping another person against her will.

A second woman, Deborah Ramirez, has accused Kavanaugh of exposing himself and thrusting his penis at her face when they were both college students at Yale during the 1983-1984 school year. Ramirez says that they were both intoxicated at that party and that she isn’t entirely sure of her memories.

The New Yorker, which first published Ramirez’s account on Sunday, was not able to independently confirm if Kavanaugh was at the Yale party she described, but interviewed several of Ramirez’s classmates, who recalled hearing about the alleged incident in vague terms.

Kavanaugh has also pointed to a letter signed by 65 women he has known for decades attesting that the judge has always treated them with “decency and respect.” Again, this letter is not evidence that he did not commit sexual assault. A person can treat hundreds of women well and still mistreat some other women.

A New York Times report on Monday that examined a copy of Georgetown Preparatory School’s 1983 yearbook shed new light on Kavanaugh’s behavior in high school.

The phrase “Renate alumni,” printed under a group photo of nine football players, including Kavanaugh, is a reference to Renate Schroeder Dolphin, then a student at a nearby Catholic girls’ school, the Times reported.

The football players used the phrase as a way to brag about their alleged sexual conquests, two of Kavanaugh’s classmates told the Times.

Dolphin was one of 65 women who say they knew Kavanaugh in high school and signed a letter defending his character following Blasey’s accusations. Dolphin told the Times she was unaware at the time of the apparent reference to her in the yearbook.

“I learned about these yearbook pages only a few days ago,” Dolphin said in a statement to the paper. “I don’t know what ‘Renate Alumnus’ actually means. I can’t begin to comprehend what goes through the minds of 17-year-old boys who write such things, but the insinuation is horrible, hurtful and simply untrue. I pray their daughters are never treated this way. I will have no further comment.”"
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 25, 2018, 08:11:38 PM »

My father said the email wasn't very good in the 1960s. ;)  Never let the truth get in the way of a good storyline though.....

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 25, 2018, 08:13:44 PM »

Actually, I don't see the lie, just legalese:  presuming Mr. Kavanaugh was in high school for three or four years (some schools had HS start in 10th grade), for most of the time he was in HS, older seniors (that is, 18-year-olds) could legally drink alcohol.  He didn't, apparently, say, "When I was a senior, I could legally drink."

I guess that as Kavanaugh's Fox News interview was about his alleged sexual assault on Ford, it is germane to point out that at that time he was 17 years old and the legal drinking age at that time was 21 in Maryland.  So whether you think of it as a lie or not, it was at least a misdirection.
― Leon C. Megginson