Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: GOP Losing Ground for the 2018 Mid-Term Election  (Read 15609 times)

SteveMDFP

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: GOP Losing Ground for the 2018 Mid-Term Election
« Reply #250 on: September 12, 2018, 03:47:50 AM »

The NYT has counted well over 4,000 lies told by Trump to the US public since he took office, an average of 8 lies per day in office.

Do you think that the NYT, or perhaps yourself, should check the veracity of your own statements prior to publishing? Particularly since the piece is intended to draw attention to the Trump's own litany of misstatements.

How many days has Trump been in office according to the above figures?
Should this be counted as a fib, an exaggeration, or as a lapsus linguae

Certainly it's not a lie, or the whole point of your post would be lost.
Terry

None of the above.  As of today, Trump's been in office 599 days.  Not sure when the count by NYT was tallied, but it could well be an understatement.

mostly_lurking

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #251 on: September 12, 2018, 08:16:29 AM »

The NYT has counted well over 4,000 lies told by Trump to the US public since he took office, an average of 8 lies per day in office.

Do you think that the NYT, or perhaps yourself, should check the veracity of your own statements prior to publishing? Particularly since the piece is intended to draw attention to the Trump's own litany of misstatements.

Terry

None of the above.  As of today, Trump's been in office 599 days.  Not sure when the count by NYT was tallied, but it could well be an understatement.

They call things that are just "politician talk" lies. If he says Hillary "acid washed" her emails they call it a lie although everyone understands he didn't mean actual acid. I'm not saying he doesn't lie and maybe even more than most but one that fact checks him also should be accurate.

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Neven's Side Kick (apparently)
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #252 on: September 12, 2018, 08:33:38 AM »
Obama's Illinois speech is a great lecture on the state of the union, plus an even greater campaign speech. There should be more of this.

In Church?

Obama really missed his calling not becoming a Gospel Preacher. He's good at selling faith and hope, and that's it. But he's no MLK either. MLK at least spoke the truth about reality and didn't spin it into feel good moments of self-serving attention seeking. Obama is a loser and a conman. More accurately is he's a hollow man of no substance.

His speeches are the equivalent of hypnotism that put the sheep asleep into a state to be managed and manipulated into a feel good illusion of self-importance for the audience. This speech is a good example of him doing just that. He says nothing much at all, and like the rest of his speeches this one will change nothing that desperately needs changing by direct action not words. 

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 12:54:44 PM by Lurk »
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” ― Soren Kierkegaard

mostly_lurking

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 12, 2018, 08:45:37 AM »
Obama's Illinois speech is a great lecture on the state of the union, plus an even greater campaign speech. There should be more of this.

Obama: " Trump is doing a terrible job BUT whatever is good- I did it"
Jeez.

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 12, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »
More on Obama, the Fake News Media and his Democrats from Dore

"It's all like, look over here why we just do all this evil stuff over there." Sam Tripoli

[09:52] by the way they're (the Media) are joined at the hip with their political establishment and the political establishment wants to push it because they hate Donald Trump because he when he does horrible stuff it looks horrible because he's horrible right - but when Barack Obama does horrible stuff nobody noticed because he's nice!

So these political establishment people want to get Donald Trump out of there so they can get a guy in there who's got a nice face who does horrible things because they're doing horrible things together

The Democrats helped Trump pass an $80 billion extra dollars on his Pentagon budget; they just got there got together a fast track 15 of his judges lifetime appointments; they get the Democrats together to deregulate Wall Street again and again.

So they're all getting this together, it's not Democrat Policy this is for most for the most part it's not policy. But those cages that Trump are putting kids into, Barack Obama built them -- so he was the original Deporter In Chief  --- long before Trump arrived!!!

So again from a lot of people in the Department of Homeland Security we find out the reason why, what are the reasons why they're pushing it? It's because they wanted to take over certain parts of the local elections and state elections that's why they wanted more power (and control over everything.)

Let's go over to my panel because there's more to this story [10:58]

[11:02] And by the way you'd never see this on the TV news! You'll never see "oh by the way the Undersecretary of the Department of Homeland Security said all that stuff was bullshit", you never see that.

By the way those stories are still up. ALL those stories I showed you, all these stories this is still up. This is still up, This is still up, This is still up. They're all still up. Isn't that amazing?

But other people are conspiracy theorists! Alex Jones is crazy conspiracies! There is, meanwhile, the mainstream news media which pushes conspiracies on the regular - like how about the Iraq war?

THE biggest conspiracy theory in history was pushed on the regular every day for years, by the mainstream news media and now they're doing this again!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:07:00 AM by Lurk »
“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” ― Soren Kierkegaard

TerryM

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #255 on: September 12, 2018, 12:53:33 PM »

Terry

I am traveling for some days so I am too preoccupied to do a proper search, but here is a link to an article from June 1, 2018, with 6.5 false or misleading claims per day.  I will look more later.

Title: "President Trump has made 3,251 false or misleading claims in 497 days"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/06/01/president-trump-has-made-3251-false-or-misleading-claims-in-497-days/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ab8e76f06692

Extract: "In the 497 days since he took the oath of office, President Trump has made 3,251 false or misleading claims, according to The Fact Checker’s database that analyzes, categorizes and tracks every suspect statement uttered by the president.

That’s an average of more than 6.5 claims a day."

I'd counter by noting that 6.5 is not equal to 8. That your statement was factually both false and misleading, and further that using an obvious and evident falsehood in an attempt to impune the honesty of another leaves yourself open to ridicule.

That your statement is " false or misleading" is emphasized when you attempt to equate a Washington Post article indicating 6.5 claims/day with a New York Times claim of 8/day.

It's not the right Newspaper, it's not the right number and it's sounding more and more like the BS that McCarthy spouted when asked how many commies were hiding in the Rose Garden.

"Have you no shame sir?"
Joseph N. Welch

Terry

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #256 on: September 12, 2018, 01:38:22 PM »
Per Klondike Kat:
Are you seriously using a one-month variation to counter a 10-month trend?  That is worse than those using short-term temperature data to counter long-term trends.  While it is certainly possible that it could continue, it is equally possible that it could reverse.  Nothing much has really changed during the entire time frame.

Boy ...... where do I begin?

1)  It isn't a "one-month variation".  It's almost a THREE MONTH variation.  The "one month" variation is an ACCELERATION OF THE SHORT TERM TREND.  The short term trend STARTED on day 518 of Donnie's term ..... today is day 600.  So the "short term trend" is almost 3 MONTHS.  The POSSIBLE INCREASE IN ACCELERATION of that trend ..... is about a month.

We'll know more in the next 2 - 3 weeks weather that ACCELRATION in the trend continues or not. 

Note:  I have inserted BLUE POINTERS (3 of them) to note where the INTERMEDIATE TREND BOTTOM/TOP (Disapproval/Approval) happened.  The APPROVAL rate had a "double top" which is why it has two pointers.

2)  The BREAK in the INTERMEDIATE TERM trend lines is shown by the RED ARROWS.  "Technically" THAT is when the INTERMEDIATE TERM TRENDS BROKE, and Donnies disapproval/approval ratings changed direction (as his poll numbers worsened).

3)  CHARTS DON'T CAUSE THE FUNDAMENTALS.  FUNDAMENTALS CAUSE THE CHART.  And as I noted many weeks ago ..... Donnie's fundamentals were/are HORRIBLE.  At that time .... I noted that the likelihood that Manafort would lose his upcoming Trial #1.  I also believe I noted the continued fallout from Donnie's trip to Helsinki a couple months ago.  I also noted there were SEVERAL pieces of information likely to come out in coming weeks and months.

THAT ..... is what is causing the chart.  Not only the "change of direction" almost 3 months ago .... but also the  POSSIBLE INCREASE IN THE ACCELERATION OF THE NEW TREND.

Donnie can't help himself.  He is ..... a SOCIOPATH.  Not only is he a sociopath, he has surrounded himself with mostly AWFUL EMPLOYEES that are ill equipped to handle their OWN JOBS ..... and as well, they are ILL EQUIPPED TO REIGN IN A SOCIOPATH.  So Donnie will continue to make horrible decisions, continue to rely on himself, continue to ignore facts, and continue to go with his gut.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that.  Someone of average or LESS intelligence (such as myself) can see this clearly.  Even someone like yourself could figure this out.  All you have to do is LOOK AT THE FACTS ..... BECAUSE THEY NEVER GO AWAY.
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

SteveMDFP

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 12, 2018, 01:55:08 PM »
More on Obama, the Fake News Media and his Democrats from Dore

"It's all like, look over here why we just do all this evil stuff over there." Sam Tripoli

[09:52] by the way they're (the Media) are joined at the hip with their political establishment and the political establishment wants to push it because they hate Donald Trump because he when he does horrible stuff it looks horrible because he's horrible right - but when Barack Obama does horrible stuff nobody noticed because he's nice!

So these political establishment people want to get Donald Trump out of there so they can get a guy in there who's got a nice face who does horrible things because they're doing horrible things together

The Democrats helped Trump pass an $80 billion extra dollars on his Pentagon budget; they just got there got together a fast track 15 of his judges lifetime appointments; they get the Democrats together to deregulate Wall Street again and again.

So they're all getting this together, it's not Democrat Policy this is for most for the most part it's not policy. But those cages that Trump are putting kids into, Barack Obama built them -- so he was the original Deporter In Chief  --- long before Trump arrived!!!

So again from a lot of people in the Department of Homeland Security we find out the reason why, what are the reasons why they're pushing it? It's because they wanted to take over certain parts of the local elections and state elections that's why they wanted more power (and control over everything.)

Let's go over to my panel because there's more to this story [10:58]
n
[11:02] And by the way you'd never see this on the TV news! You'll never see "oh by the way the Undersecretary of the Department of Homeland Security said all that stuff was bullshit", you never see that.

It's Dore who has distorted the truth.  I watched the full video of that Homeland Security honcho testifying, posted on CSPAN.  He says, actually, that about 20 election computer systems where scanned, and a small fraction of those were compromised.  His phrasing seems calculated to minimize the significance, but he does say that some systems were compromised.

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #258 on: September 12, 2018, 05:53:35 PM »
I'd counter by noting that 6.5 is not equal to 8. That your statement was factually both false and misleading, and further that using an obvious and evident falsehood in an attempt to impune the honesty of another leaves yourself open to ridicule.

That your statement is " false or misleading" is emphasized when you attempt to equate a Washington Post article indicating 6.5 claims/day with a New York Times claim of 8/day.

It's not the right Newspaper, it's not the right number and it's sounding more and more like the BS that McCarthy spouted when asked how many commies were hiding in the Rose Garden.

"Have you no shame sir?"
Joseph N. Welch

Terry

Terry,

Your cherry-picking of my posts (as the following is taken from my Reply #249) speaks poorly of you intentions:

Thru September 4 2018, that is 8 false or misleading claims (I think of these as lies) per day, by Trump since taking office:

Title: "President Trump has made 4,713 false or misleading claims in 592 days"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/04/president-trump-has-made-false-or-misleading-claims-days/?utm_term=.97dab758f9ea

Extract: "In the 592 days since he took the oath of office, President Trump has made 4,713 false or misleading claims, according to The Fact Checker's database that analyzes, categorizes and tracks every suspect statement uttered by the president.

That's an average of about eight claims a day."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #259 on: September 12, 2018, 07:38:05 PM »
ASLR
That is simply not what you originally claimed!

You made the whole thing up and you now scramble about trying to find other claims by other papers in a vain attempt to bury that fact.

I'm not going to continue another endless discussion in which you once again refuse to admit that you are wrong.

Terry
BTW - I didn't "cherry pick" some insignificant point, it was the opening paragraph of your post.

Klondike Kat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #260 on: September 12, 2018, 09:44:33 PM »
Per Klondike Kat:
Are you seriously using a one-month variation to counter a 10-month trend?  That is worse than those using short-term temperature data to counter long-term trends.  While it is certainly possible that it could continue, it is equally possible that it could reverse.  Nothing much has really changed during the entire time frame.

1)  It isn't a "one-month variation".  It's almost a THREE MONTH variation.  The "one month" variation is an ACCELERATION OF THE SHORT TERM TREND.  The short term trend STARTED on day 518 of Donnie's term ..... today is day 600.  So the "short term trend" is almost 3 MONTHS.  The POSSIBLE INCREASE IN ACCELERATION of that trend ..... is about a month.

We'll know more in the next 2 - 3 weeks weather that ACCELRATION in the trend continues or not. 

Note:  I have inserted BLUE POINTERS (3 of them) to note where the INTERMEDIATE TREND BOTTOM/TOP (Disapproval/Approval) happened.  The APPROVAL rate had a "double top" which is why it has two pointers.

2)  The BREAK in the INTERMEDIATE TERM trend lines is shown by the RED ARROWS.  "Technically" THAT is when the INTERMEDIATE TERM TRENDS BROKE, and Donnies disapproval/approval ratings changed direction (as his poll numbers worsened).

3)  CHARTS DON'T CAUSE THE FUNDAMENTALS.  FUNDAMENTALS CAUSE THE CHART.  And as I noted many weeks ago ..... Donnie's fundamentals were/are HORRIBLE.  At that time .... I noted that the likelihood that Manafort would lose his upcoming Trial #1.  I also believe I noted the continued fallout from Donnie's trip to Helsinki a couple months ago.  I also noted there were SEVERAL pieces of information likely to come out in coming weeks and months.

THAT ..... is what is causing the chart.  Not only the "change of direction" almost 3 months ago .... but also the  POSSIBLE INCREASE IN THE ACCELERATION OF THE NEW TREND.

Donnie can't help himself.  He is ..... a SOCIOPATH.  Not only is he a sociopath, he has surrounded himself with mostly AWFUL EMPLOYEES that are ill equipped to handle their OWN JOBS ..... and as well, they are ILL EQUIPPED TO REIGN IN A SOCIOPATH.  So Donnie will continue to make horrible decisions, continue to rely on himself, continue to ignore facts, and continue to go with his gut.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that.  Someone of average or LESS intelligence (such as myself) can see this clearly.  Even someone like yourself could figure this out.  All you have to do is LOOK AT THE FACTS ..... BECAUSE THEY NEVER GO AWAY.

It is only a 3-month variation due to the way you drew the line.  A linear regression would show much less.  I will agree with you that the next several weeks will tells us more whether this was a real change in the trend of just normal variation.

I a not arguing about Trump's fundamentals.  Rather, they have changed very little over the past year, such that whatever he does in the next few weeks (short of all-out war) will have little effect on the overall fundamentals.  As long as the economy keeps rolling along, Trump's numbers will not fall too far.  In reality, that is one of the few things keeping him above water.

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 13, 2018, 04:38:43 AM »
Per Klondike Kat:

I'd begin with a well balanced sensible intelligent fact-based Constitutional / Legal approach.

Such as, even if Trump's number were a 10% approval rating and a 80% Disapproval rating he'd still be the President of the US and would more likely than not remain so until January 2021.

It really doesn't matter how many times a day or week that Buddy calls Trump a Traitor or a Sociopath. It really does not matter what the Polls say from one week, month or year to the next. None of these matters will change a damned thing - Donald Trump is the US President until ........... and retains all his Powers to act as President and to hire and fire as he pleases according to Law.

No amount of wailing tears and no amount of bold text will change that. :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:07:18 PM by Lurk »

Klondike Kat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 13, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »
Per Klondike Kat:

I'd begin with a well balanced sensible intelligent fact-based Constitutional / Legal approach.

Such as, even if Trump's number were a 10% approval rating and a 80% Disapproval rating he'd still be the President of the US and would more likely than not remain so until January 2021.

It really doesn't matter how many times a day or week that Buddy calls Trump a Traitor or a Sociopath. It really does not matter what the Polls say from one week, month or year to the next. None of these matters will change a damned thing - Donald Trump is the US President until ........... and retains all his Powers to act as President and to hire and fire as he pleases according to Law.

No amount of wailing tears and no amount of bold text will change that. :)

Well said.

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 13, 2018, 03:18:16 PM »
I a not arguing about Trump's fundamentals.  Rather, they have changed very little over the past year, such that whatever he does in the next few weeks (short of all-out war) will have little effect on the overall fundamentals..

I AM talking about "fundamentals" .... and how they are reflected in the chart.  The fundamentals cause the chart.

Trump's fundamentals WORSENED shortly before the chart turned against him.  How?

1)  He announced he was going to meet with Putin in Helsinki.  Just the announcement ALONE (before the actual meeting) was the start of it.

2).
Then .... Donnie REALLY botched things up when he met with Putin in Helsinki and did everything short of giving Vladi oral sex right on the stage.  NOT a good look.  Big mistake (by BOTH Vladi and Trump). 

3)  He started separating kids from their parents coming into the country.  NOT a "good look."  People noticed ..... and have punished him in the polls.

4) The effects of the Trump Tax Cut have had VERY LITTLE BENEFIT for middle income earners, and the tax bill has been shown to be a "bust" in polling numbers.  People don't like it (and for good reason).  That fundamental is being reflected in the chart.

5)  Manafort trial number 1:  Some of Donnie's hard core supporters are just beginning to figure out that there REALLY IS SOMETHING TO THIS RUSSIA THING. The Manafort trial showed this.  Of note..... one of the jurors, an avid Trump supporter, in an interview on FOX said that if Manafort committed crimes, he should pay for it.  THAT IS NOTEWORTHY.  You see .... some of the people that voted for Trump THINK HE REALLY DIDN'T DO ANYTHING.  When it turns out that Trump has lied all along about Russian interference .....a significant portion of his base WILL TURN ON HIM.    There will certainly be a piece of his base that could care less what he did or what he knew.  But it is NOT ALL OF HIS BASE BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION.  There are some in his base that will leave him.  Manfort trial number 2 will cause some of that.  If Donnie stays in office until the next year ..... AND .... the Democrat's win the House, then NEXT YEAR MORE WILL LEAVE HIM AS PUBLIC HEARINGS EXPOSE HIM.

6)  The ACTUAL outcome of the hurricane from about a year ago in Puerto Rico has been recently released ..... showing that the response to the hurricane was significantly short of a good outcome.7)

If you have a BAD HEAD COACH of a pro football team, and he goes out and hires BAD PLAYERS ..... bad things continue to happen.  That is exactly where Trump is.  He is horrible, and he has gone out of his way to find as many bad employees as he can (with maybe one or two exceptions).  Eventually, ALL the good players will leave.  But right now ..... there aren't enough good players to keep Trump out of trouble.   

As long as the economy keeps rolling along, Trump's numbers will not fall too far.  In reality, that is one of the few things keeping him above water

First ..... Trump is NOT "above water" .... unless what you mean by above water is "not impeached."  Trump's disapproval numbers are significantly above his approval numbers:  In Fivethirtyeight.com's numbers, Trump is now 14 points UNDER WATER (disapproval 54 vs approval of 40).

SteveMDFP

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 13, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »

First ..... Trump is NOT "above water" .... unless what you mean by above water is "not impeached."  Trump's disapproval numbers are significantly above his approval numbers:  In Fivethirtyeight.com's numbers, Trump is now 14 points UNDER WATER (disapproval 54 vs approval of 40).

Of course, right now, the most important thing isn't Trump's ratings, it's the R vs D congressional ballot (they're related, but different).   Fivethirtyeight.com is showing a solid floor of support for Rs, at a stable 39%.  The D's have been slowly but steadily rising, now 48.8%. 

I think events (other than the general economy) will tend to improve things for Ds.  The economy is important, but the steady stream of bad events for Hair Furor is a big headwind for the Rs, as they're seen as lapdogs.  They can't campaign against Trump for the general election, or the base won't turn out for them.  They can't really embrace Trump, or moderates will reject them.  I'm cautiously optimistic the House will flip.  The Senate flipping seems wildly improbable still, though.

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 14, 2018, 10:45:44 PM »
The linked op/ed. piece opines that the Manafort plea deal will help the Democrats in the coming midterm elections:

Title: "Manafort plea deal a pivotal moment in Mueller probe — and in midterms"

http://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/406744-Manafort-plea-deal-a-pivotal-moment-in-Mueller-probe%E2%80%94and-in-midterms

Extract: "The political impact of the Manafort deal will provide a huge lift to Democrats in the upcoming elections. Democrats have made every effort to defend Mueller and to seek the facts in the Russia investigation. Republican refusal to definitively protect Mueller, and the actions of some prominent right-wing Republicans in Congress to keep escalating their attacks against Mueller, the Justice Department and the FBI, will prove disastrous to Republicans in November.

The major trend lines in public opinion will continue. Mueller’s popularity will continue to strengthen. Trump’s popularity will continue to weaken. The Democratic surge in midterm polling will continue. The Republican lag will continue and possibly worsen."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2018, 03:48:08 AM »
The linked op/ed. piece opines that the Manafort plea deal will help the Democrats in the coming midterm elections:

Title: "Manafort plea deal a pivotal moment in Mueller probe — and in midterms"

UM, you couldn't find a more hyper-ventilating biased partisan piece than this one. The democrat author couldn't have been more extreme in drawing mystically based assumptions than a born again preacher announcing the return of Jesus anytime soon.

Seriously how does an extreme biased partisan opinionated fantasy world of hopes and dreams help anyone? Why not post the opinions of Guilliani and why Trumps a genius has never broken the law and will be reelected in 2020? Seriously such biased opinion pieces piss me off no end. It's meaningless garbage and helps no one understand anything bar extremely politically biased people are, well, extremely biased.

IT'S AN ADVERTISEMENT - that's it - so why share it with anyone?

Kind of related but this is what real data looks like and provides a basis for people to think about what's going on and why from an "objective pov" for how biased the electorate really is and where it isn't. And how that plays out in final decision making about different "issues".

It's polling data so take it with a grain of salt however it can still provide reasonable insights for OBJECTIVE THINKING people, on an even keel, who really are unbiased (less biased) observers and not hyper-ventilating partisan activists and paid up members of Political parties.

recent yougov polling ..... an example
36. Believe Woodward’s book - Do you believe the reporting in the book written by journalist Bob Woodward about the Trump White House is true or not?

Believe reporting in the book is true
Total 35%
Dem 65%
Ind. 26%
Rep.14%

Do not believe reporting in the book is true
Total 25%
Dem 5%
Ind. 23%
Rep. 50%

Where this result is the most meaningful of all
Not sure
Total 41%
Dem 30%
Ind. 51%
Rep. 35%

Look at the Independents figure of 51% are not sure.
Those people are far more aware, more logical, more balanced, more sane, less biased, and much more objective than all the rest are.  But also some credit for the ~30% of Dems and Reps who also went that way.

Here's the real rub of this unthinking crap that goes on in the minds of the populace and by partisan manipulators and the crass incompetent media. There is absolutely NO VALUE in polling people about their BELIEFS about a book they have not even read and likely never will. These POLLS are the equivalent of Brand Name Toothpaste sales after a one month TV advertising campaign by Colgate - measuring the success or failure of the latest ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN.

No wonder US politics, and in most other places too, is so Fucked and a pathetic joke on all of humanity today.

Facts and truth and genuine knowledge are irrelevant. Opinions and beliefs are everything and they can be so easily manipulated by the Media, by advertising by hyper-ventilating political activists all the way up to Trump or Clinton. It's pathetic, It's sick. It's weak as piss and meaningless garbage sold to everyone.

Then we're ever so lucky (/sarc) to have members here contribute even more to it. So if you consciously choose to avoid crass news media, op-ed opinion pieces from ALL SIDES, and stay off Facebook, and Google, and Instagram and Redditt and Alex Jones and all the rest someone is still going to come in here and shove it down your throat anyway. My primary motivation in sharing so much news from RT ... (besides that the way the site is laid out it is so easy to use and find stuff that's "topical" given Russia is the flavour of the YEAR and DECADE now.)

But do you really want to learn something useful? Then go check out the overall delusional wide-ranging opinions of that Poll regarding which nations are friendly and which are unfriendly, what people think Trump thinks about those and then you'll see how POWERFUL non-stop media manipulation is... well maybe, because some folks believe the strangest garbage so maybe you won;t see. Rob is as blind as telegraph pole and I think ASLR is too, but whatever, it doesn't matter what I think anyway. 

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/sc59yl78f2/econTabReport.pdf

Then ask yourself if you're an American - when is going to be the next time some evil group of asshole PSYCHOPATHS are going to lead you all into another POPULAR fucking war like IRAQ, Afghanistan for 18 years, or a another war crime like Vietnam?

Like another war that will waste the lives of 3 million people and then about 3 million more in another kind of Cambodia as a direct result of DUMB GULLIBLE Americans, people like John McCain, bombing the crap out of them too. .

Then ask yourselves do you really truly believe you live a nation of Freedom, Liberty and Democracy? And if you answer yes, sure do, then ask yourself this -DO YOU DESERVE IT?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 03:09:21 PM by Lurk »

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2018, 02:36:23 PM »
Realclearpolitics.com now has the US House race at 206 Dems, 191 Republicans, and 38 “tossups”.  The number needed for a majority is 218.

Still early ..... and anything can happen .... but the blue tide is rising.

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 16, 2018, 01:58:05 PM »
By the time of the election ..... the Realclearpolitics number (which also closely tracks Cook and Sabato numbers) could be sitting at 210 - 215 Dems and 180 - 185 Republicans with 40 tossups.  The magic total needed for the majority is 218.

Hurricane Donnie is indeed bringing in a high blue tide.  And there are STILL some HUGE “bombs” from the Mueller investigation AND from Michael Cohen and Paul Manafort which .... if they were to become public information before the elections, would destroy both Trump AND the Republicans further.

Trump’s removal from office has always been, and continues to be, a matter of WHEN (and if) the information from the investigations comes public.  Donnie will not resign .... because he would immediately be charged with his criminal behavior.  And right now his sociopathic behavior STILL has him believing he can somehow survive this.

When that thought vanishes, he will try to get rid of Sessions/Rosenstein and try and close down the investigation.  If THAT doesn’t work .... then a one way trip to Russia is a REAL possibility (35% chance right now ... but that can change).

What also needs to be noted, is that Trump’s rate of lying IS INCREASING since Labor Day.  He is spinning out of control.  It’s awfully hard to tell what will be the last straw ... and HOW this will end.  But with someone as sick as Trump at the wheel ... it will likely end badly.

mostly_lurking

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 16, 2018, 03:56:27 PM »
  And there are STILL some HUGE “bombs”

On both sides. Will be interesting.

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 16, 2018, 06:38:57 PM »
In 2012 the GOP decided to become the party of white men and they are about to learn the consequences of that decision in the 2018 midterms:

Title: "The GOP's epic political malpractice"

https://www.axios.com/2018-midterm-elections-republicans-house-senate-d9c0ad07-985a-4b0d-861f-defb73f2f5ca.html

Extract: "A Republican official deeply involved in midterm campaigns told me: "If there was any way to reduce the noise (unlikely!!) we could survive. [There's] so much noise [that it doesn't] allow people to realize economy/life is good."

Be smart: This election could echo long from now. Republicans seem certain to end this election even more defined as the party of white men, a group slowly but surely shrinking in power.

There's a reason that the party’s autopsy after the 2012 election called for an urgent push for inclusion: Demographics don’t lie."
― Leon C. Megginson

wili

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 221
« Reply #271 on: September 16, 2018, 06:40:10 PM »
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/406816-dems-confidence-swells-with-midterms-fast-approaching

Dems' confidence swells with midterms fast approaching

...Democrats need to pick up 23 seats to capture the Speaker’s gavel — a seemingly heavy lift — but they have history on their side.

The party controlling the White House has lost seats in 36 of the 39 midterm cycles going back to the Civil War. The average loss, according to the analysts at Sabato’s Crystal Ball, an election handicapper at the University of Virginia, is a whopping 33 seats.

Democrats, though, see signals well outside of civics textbooks that are fueling the optimistic sense that they’ll control the chamber next year for the first time since they were clobbered at the polls in 2010.

The most recent generic poll, a gauge of how voters feel about the parties without naming individual candidates, found the Democrats with a 14 point advantage — an enormous gap predicting the House would likely flip...
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 16, 2018, 10:27:33 PM »
The Kavenaugh nomination is now coming under more pressure due to the female California professor coming forward and putting her name to her allegation against him of attempted rape.  In addition, she took and passed a lie detector test.

This also puts more pressure on Congressmen to slow down the process of SCOTUS nomination.  This will spill over and have an effect on the coming November election.

More fuel for a blue high tide ....

Klondike Kat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 16, 2018, 10:59:44 PM »
The Kavenaugh nomination is now coming under more pressure due to the female California professor coming forward and putting her name to her allegation against him of attempted rape.  In addition, she took and passed a lie detector test.

This also puts more pressure on Congressmen to slow down the process of SCOTUS nomination.  This will spill over and have an effect on the coming November election.

More fuel for a blue high tide ....

I suspect these allegations will have little to no effect.  They are from a high school incident 35 years ago.

litesong

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #274 on: September 16, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »
Donnie....Keep tweeting Donnie....
Agree with yer post, 'cept his name is "don'T rump".

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 16, 2018, 11:54:20 PM »
I suspect these allegations will have little to no effect.  They are from a high school incident 35 years ago.

The attempted rape happened 35 years ago.  The LIE about the attempted rape happened this past week.

For anyone with ethics .... things like attempted rape MATTER.  No matter WHEN they happened.  If indeed Kavenaugh did attempt to rape the woman ..... it matters A LOT.  And the fact that he is lying NOW matters a lot.  Also note ...... Kavenaugh has already been caught in a couple of lies from his earlier testimony when he was nominated as a federal judge.

For anyone on Fifth Avenue that sees Donnie shoot someone ..... it won't matter at all.  But the Republican polling numbers CONTINUE TO DECLINE FOR WOMEN ...... AND FOR INDENPENDENTS.

Those WILL BE effected by the Kavenaugh issues.

I expect the Republicans to move forward with his nomination process as quickly as they can.  But they WILL suffer a reaction from some voters.  They (the Republicans) already have two women molesters in office:  Trump and Justice Thomas..... they certainly aren't above adding a third.

SteveMDFP

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 16, 2018, 11:59:46 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure.  Most of Roy Moore's scandalous behavior was similarly long ago. 
As one part of the picture of reasons to oppose Kavanaugh, I think this may tip the scales against him.  Especially so if Senators perceive him to be lying about the facts of the matter.  His truthfulness has already been called into question in other matters before the Senate.  He's fairly strikingly unpopular with the American people. 

Note that the vote to send his name to the floor was already delayed once.  i don't think there'd have been any delay at all if all the R's were firmly on board with him.

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 17, 2018, 02:40:00 AM »
He's fairly strikingly unpopular with the American people. 

Like that ever matters on any subject for those in Congress (especially the Senate) or the WH.

Besides the people don't get a vote on who becomes a Judge so it's doubly irrelevant.

Klondike Kat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 17, 2018, 03:36:28 AM »

I wouldn't be so sure.  Most of Roy Moore's scandalous behavior was similarly long ago. 
As one part of the picture of reasons to oppose Kavanaugh, I think this may tip the scales against him.  Especially so if Senators perceive him to be lying about the facts of the matter.  His truthfulness has already been called into question in other matters before the Senate.  He's fairly strikingly unpopular with the American people. 

Note that the vote to send his name to the floor was already delayed once.  i don't think there'd have been any delay at all if all the R's were firmly on board with him.

Yeah, well Moore was in his 30s pursuing underage girls. This case is about two underage high school students.  Big difference.

Klondike Kat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 17, 2018, 03:48:19 AM »

mostly_lurking

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 17, 2018, 08:16:18 AM »
In Moore's case there was also "evidence" of some sort no matter how bad it was.
and it was an election not a vote in the senate. Big difference.

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 17, 2018, 08:38:20 PM »
In Moore's case there was also "evidence" of some sort no matter how bad it was.
and it was an election not a vote in the senate. Big difference.

There is more evidence supporting this accusation than a simple 'He said, she said'.

Title: "Christine Blasey Ford"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Blasey_Ford

Extract: "In July 2018, after Judge Brett Kavanaugh was reported to be on the shortlist to become an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, Ford sent a confidential letter to her Representative Anna Eshoo, who forwarded it to Senator Dianne Feinstein, alleging Kavanaugh had sexually assaulted her when both were in high school. In August she took a polygraph test with a former FBI agent, who concluded she was being truthful. The FBI included a redacted version of her letter in the background material provided to the White House and Senate for Kavanaugh's Supreme Court nomination.

On September 16, 2018, after the accusations were made public and reporters started to track down her identity, Ford went public. According to her, the sexual assault took place in the summer of 1982 when she was 15 and he was 17. She told The Washington Post that, with another boy watching, Kavanaugh, intoxicated, held her down on a bed with his body, grinding against and groping her, covering her mouth when she tried to scream and trying to pull her clothes off. She recounted escaping when the second boy jumped on them both and they all fell. To corroborate her account, Ford provided The Post with the polygraph as well as session notes from her therapist written in 2012. The notes do not name Kavanaugh but record her claim of being attacked by students "from an elitist boys' school" who went on to become "highly respected and high-ranking members of society in Washington." Ford's husband recalled that she had used Kavanaugh's last name in her 2012 description of the incident."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 17, 2018, 08:50:17 PM »
In the 1990's Kavanaugh wrote an email to Ken Starr encouraging him to publically expose all of Bill Clinton's past sexual transgressions, so he must concur that he himself should be treated the same way:

Title: "Why God Is Laughing at Brett Kavanaugh "

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/17/kavanaugh-supreme-court-ford-sexual-assault-219983

Extract: "Few prosecutors, it seems likely, would ever open an assault case—36 years later—on the basis of Christine Blasey Ford’s account of being pinned down on a bed by a drunken Kavanaugh, then 17, and being aggressively groped until a friend of his physically jumped in.

But few prosecutors in the 1990s would have pursued an extensive criminal investigation over perjury into a middle-aged man’s lies about adultery if that person had not been President Bill Clinton. In his zeal at the time, Kavanaugh, like Starr, may have worked himself into a belief that this was about sacred principles of law, but to many others—and ultimately to a clear majority of the country—it was obvious that the case was fundamentally about political power.

Kavanaugh’s fate, too, now depends on precisely the same thing: Do the allegations change the calculation for the perhaps half-a-dozen senators—including Republicans Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska—whose minds were not already made up by earlier political calculations?

With the benefit of hindsight, Kavanaugh later concluded presidents should be shielded from criminal investigations of the sort he helped wage against Clinton. At the time, however, he was filled with righteous indignation. “It is our job,” he wrote colleagues in Starr’s office in an email, “to make his pattern of revolting behavior clear—piece by painful piece.”"
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 17, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
Hiring a high-priced lawyer from Wilkinson Walsh + Eskovitz does not mean that Kavanaugh is guilty of attempted rape, but it does mean that he thinks that he is in hot water:

Title: "Kavanaugh, Amid Sexual Assault Claim, Reportedly Hires Beth Wilkinson"

https://www.law.com/nationallawjournal/2018/09/17/kavanaugh-amid-sexual-assault-claim-reportedly-hires-beth-wilkinson/?slreturn=20180817161526

Extract: "Beth Wilkinson has deep experience representing high-profile clients in hot water, and recently commented on her experience as a female trial lawyer."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 17, 2018, 10:38:52 PM »
Per the conservative pundit cited in the linked article, the GOP needs to defend Kavanuagh against the attempted rape allegation (even if they are true) in order to improve their chances of overturning Roe v. Wade:

Title: "A conservative reveals what’s really going on with denying Kavanuagh accusations"

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/17/17870408/brett-kavanaugh-sexual-assault-allegation-conservatives-abortion

Extract: "Erickson is insisting that this is about something he views as bigger than sexual assault and #MeToo. He sees a desperate power play aimed at preserving Roe v. Wade: Not only should Ford not be believed, but she must have political motivations because the stakes are so very high."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2018, 10:52:21 PM »
The linked article presents background information about Mark Judge and Georgetown Prep, which are not flattering:

Title: "Mark Judge, the other man named in Christine Ford’s Brett Kavanaugh allegations, explained"

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/17/17870642/mark-judge-brett-kavanaugh-friend-christine-ford

Extract: "Ford alleges Judge was in the room when Kavanaugh assaulted her — and that he played along.

Ford describes Judge as watching Kavanaugh’s alleged assault, occasionally egging him on, and eventually jumping on top of her and Kavanaugh — a move that allowed her to escape.

Kavanaugh has vehemently denied the allegations as “completely false.” Judge denied them to the Weekly Standard on Friday. (He declined to comment to the Washington Post for its article published Sunday.)

Judge was a classmate of Kavanaugh’s at Georgetown Preparatory School in Maryland and is now a conservative writer who has written for publications such as the Daily Caller and the American Spectator.

He’s floated some controversial ideas in his writings — including asking in 2006 whether gay people are perverts and longing for the days when President George W. Bush could give his wife, Laura, a “loving but firm pat on the backside in public” as a show that he “knew who was boss.” He’s also the author of several books, including one recounting his teenage years of alcoholism and addiction.

As Mother Jones reported, Judge’s 2005 book, God and Man at Georgetown Prep, “apparently paints the school as overrun with gay priests who promote a form of liberalism that wrecks Catholic education.” (The book is now out of print). And both that title and Judge’s 1997 memoir, Wasted: Takes of a Gen X Drunk, detail rampant alcoholism at the school, including his own.

In the book, according to Mother Jones’s Stephanie Mencimer, Judge writes that he reached a point where once he had one beer, “I found it impossible to stop until I was completely annihilated.” He writes that the school made students do community service on Sundays in an effort to try to keep them from drinking too much the night before.

Judge refers to Georgetown Prep as “Loyola Prep” and, according Mother Jones, also changes the names of the people in the book — but he wasn’t too sneaky about it, apparently, because there’s a “Bart O’Kavanaugh” in the book who seems quite likely to be Brett Kavanaugh:"
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 18, 2018, 12:44:09 AM »
Kavanaugh & Ford are scheduled to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday; which delays Kavanaugh's confirmation vote:

Title: "Kavanaugh and his accuser to testify publicly on Monday"

https://www.axios.com/kavanaugh-accuser-to-testify-publicly-monday-5da3767b-9813-40b3-9cda-3c01e24debf2.html

Extract: "Brett Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, the woman who accused the Supreme Court nominee of assaulting her in high school, will be called to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday at 10:00 a.m.

Why it matters: The announcement of the hearing effectively delays Thursday's committee vote on Kavanaugh's confirmation."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 18, 2018, 01:29:42 AM »
Intermediate trends that started on 06-17 in the Gallup Poll continue.  Higher disapproval numbers, and lower approval numbers.

This also mirrors the recent numbers advantage by the Democrat's in the House ..... and now even the Senate numbers.  The Senate .... which I thought was a "relative LOCK" by the Republicans is now beginning to show more cracks.  Fivethirtyeight.com now has the odds of the Republicans maintaining the majority at 67% (the odds of the Democrat's taking the majority at 33%).  That has changed materially over the last couple of months.

Still a LOT of VERY CLOSE RACES in the Senate ..... about 9 or so ..... so anything can happen, and the Senate is STILL the Republican's to lose.  But when you have Donald Trump and Ted Cruz on "your side" .... any car CAN be driven into a ditch.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/senate/

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 18, 2018, 04:01:13 AM »
Kavanaugh & Ford are scheduled to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Monday; which delays Kavanaugh's confirmation vote:

Title: "Kavanaugh and his accuser to testify publicly on Monday"

I heard some gossip on another nameless forum, that someone else is going to go public before Monday about Kavanaugh looking up girls dresses when he was a 6 year old. He clearly has a pattern of no respect for women and is a serial sexual deviate of note. 

I'd also note, though that it is understandable why in this age of instant news folks in 2018 have forgotten, how and why it was "witches" were accused of such in the olden days. They didn't have CCTV, video cams or smart phones handy. Makes me wonder if Joanna still remembers me shoving my tongue in announced as I pay on top of her when we were 13 years old, and how much she enjoyed it. 

Tricky business 'history' and a very tricky terrain are the teenage years. Some of them never grow up or learn anything about wisdom and easily people can be manipulated. Now, back to GHGs.

Klondike Kat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 18, 2018, 04:45:53 AM »
All in all, it reminds me of the Shakespearean play, and Benedict and Beatrice will reconcile.

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 18, 2018, 05:38:49 AM »
All in all, it reminds me of the Shakespearean play, and Benedict and Beatrice will reconcile.

ROFL ... yes maybe she still really loves him but he got away? Vengeance hath no fury .....

Who knows? Who cares? I sure do not.

Klondike Kat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 18, 2018, 02:45:00 PM »
Intermediate trends that started on 06-17 in the Gallup Poll continue.  Higher disapproval numbers, and lower approval numbers.

This also mirrors the recent numbers advantage by the Democrat's in the House ..... and now even the Senate numbers.  The Senate .... which I thought was a "relative LOCK" by the Republicans is now beginning to show more cracks.  Fivethirtyeight.com now has the odds of the Republicans maintaining the majority at 67% (the odds of the Democrat's taking the majority at 33%).  That has changed materially over the last couple of months.

Still a LOT of VERY CLOSE RACES in the Senate ..... about 9 or so ..... so anything can happen, and the Senate is STILL the Republican's to lose.  But when you have Donald Trump and Ted Cruz on "your side" .... any car CAN be driven into a ditch.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/senate/

The latest 538 forecast (including those where either party has a slight advantage), the House is at Dem - 216, Rep - 201, with 18 tossups.  The Senate is 49-49 with two tossups (ND and FL).  Although they have both MO and TN going blue, while the polls and other pundits have it as a pure tossup.   I think their odds for a Democratic takeover of the House, but a Republican hold of the Senate will hold. 

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 18, 2018, 09:21:50 PM »
Florida governor booed out of restaurant over red tide algae issues

Medicare fraudster and science denier Rick Scott apparently wasn't well received at a restaurant in Florida ...... actually being booed OUT of the restaurant.

A particularly bad "red tide" hit Florida this summer ..... and science denier Rick Scott is TARGET NUMBER ONE.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/407141-florida-governor-booed-out-of-restaurant-over-red-tide-algae-issues

For those of you NOT familiar with Rick Scott ..... Rick was the CEO of Columbia Healthcare when Columbia committed the largest Medicare fraud in US history.  Way to go Rick....  Rick took the fifth amendment 75 times.  Not exactly the most truthful guy on the block.

Getting Rick Scott out of government would be GREAT for Florida AND the US. 

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 18, 2018, 11:19:32 PM »
The linked op/ed. makes a few good points as to why Ford's accusations could contribute to a blue wave in November:

Title: "Kavanaugh allegations could be monster storm brewing for midterm elections"

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/407108-kavanaugh-allegations-could-be-monster-storm-brewing-for-midterm-elections

Extract: "The Thomas hearings occurred a full year before the 1992 election, but the repercussions could be seen a year later.  1992 was the Year of the Woman.  The number of female senators went from two to six and the number of women elected to the House from 28 to 47.

Things may be different now.  We're in the “me too” era.  It is no longer possible to dismiss women's claims of sexual harassment as “a fantasy,” as Republicans tried to do with Anita Hill.  Trump supporters may argue that Kavanaugh is being accused of sexual misconduct during his high school years when he was 17 years old, more than 30 years ago.   The problem is that Kavanaugh said last week, “I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation.  I did not do this back in high school or at any time.”  If he is seen to be lying now, at age 53, it would raise serious doubts about his fitness to serve on the high court."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 18, 2018, 11:38:57 PM »
Is Mark Judge afraid to perjure himself under oath in the confirmation hearings?

Title: "Key witness tells senators he won't testify at Kavanaugh hearing"

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/18/grassley-kavanaugh-accuser-hearing-827921

Extract: "GOP senators are pressing ahead with a rare public hearing next week on Christine Blasey Ford’s sexual assault allegation against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh despite not yet getting her agreement to testify.

Another key witness in Ford’s decades-old allegation, Kavanaugh’s high school classmate Mark Judge, also declined to testify Tuesday. Judge, who Ford says was the third person in the room when Kavanaugh assaulted her, said in a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee that “I have no more information to offer the committee and I do not wish to speak publicly regarding the incidents.”"
― Leon C. Megginson

Lurk

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 19, 2018, 09:18:43 AM »
Is Mark Judge afraid to perjure himself under oath in the confirmation hearings?

BS, Mark Judge is obviously a sane well-balanced sensible person.

If some one ordered me to testify in court about something that happened as a teenager, no matter what the alleged crime was, I would refuse, and if I couldn't refuse and they dragged me into Court in handcuffs then I would not recall a single event. Nothing.

Klondike Kat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 19, 2018, 02:21:03 PM »

BS, Mark Judge is obviously a sane well-balanced sensible person.

If some one ordered me to testify in court about something that happened as a teenager, no matter what the alleged crime was, I would refuse, and if I couldn't refuse and they dragged me into Court in handcuffs then I would not recall a single event. Nothing.

How much could he possible recall from a party 35 years ago in which he was highly intoxicated?  Perhaps he should ask if Christine Blasey Ford is afraid to testify for the same reason.

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 19, 2018, 06:26:35 PM »
Judge's bad boy behavior in high school is noted in the linked article:

Title: "'Uncontrollable male passion': Writings of Brett Kavanaugh's classmate under scrutiny"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/09/18/mark-judge-brett-kavanaugh-classmate/1343556002/

Extract: ""Certain women should be struck regularly, like gongs."

That quote from British playwright Noel Coward was featured on Mark Judge's senior yearbook page when he graduated from Georgetown Preparatory School in Bethesda, Maryland, in 1983, according to a report from The Washington Post.

Judge is the man accused of watching and laughing while his friend Brett Kavanaugh – now a nominee to the Supreme Court –  held a girl down and tried to remove her clothes at a party while they were all in high school.

Since the allegations by psychology professor Christine Blasey Ford came to light, the the writings of Judge, an author and columnist, are under intense scrutiny. From his high school yearbook quote to his more recent opinion pieces, Judge's takes on men, women and sexuality are raising eyebrows.

But Judge's memoirs, "Wasted: Tales of a GenX Drunk" and "God and Man at Georgetown Prep: How I Became a Catholic Despite 20 Years of Catholic Schooling," paint a very different picture of what the Post called a "nest of debauchery." And he said his drinking and "immorality" began at that school, even as he credited the education he received there, the Post reported."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 19, 2018, 06:50:20 PM »
Go 'Big-Blue', show what you can do:

Title: "Poll: Gillum leads DeSantis by 6 points in Florida governor race"

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/407370-poll-gillum-leads-desantis-by-6-points-in-florida-governor-race

Extract: "Democrat Andrew Gillum holds a 6-point lead over Ron DeSantis (R) in the hotly contested gubernatorial campaign in Florida, according to a new poll.

The Reuters–Ipsos–UVA Center for Politics poll found that 50 percent of voters surveyed support Gillum, compared to 44 percent who back DeSantis."

&

Title: "Poll: Beto O'Rourke leads Cruz by 2 points in Texas Senate race"

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/407369-poll-beto-orourke-leads-cruz-by-2-points-in-texas-senate-race

Extract: "Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D) holds a 2-point lead over incumbent Sen. Ted Cruz (R) in a new poll of their Texas Senate race.

The Reuters–Ipsos–University of Virginia Center for Politics poll released on Wednesday found that 47 percent of voters said they favored O'Rourke, while 45 percent said they favored Cruz."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• ASIF Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 19, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »
It is possible that the subtext of Kavanaugh's comment cited in the linked article means that he thinks it is funny to joke about the attempted rape of 15-year old high school co-eds by 17-year old boys

Title: "'What happens at Georgetown Prep, stays at Georgetown Prep,' Kavanaugh joked in 2015"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/09/19/brett-kavanaugh-georgetown-prep-joke/1355117002/

Extract: "Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh is facing criticism for a joke he made about his high school in 2015, amid an allegation that he sexually assaulted a girl when he was a high school student.

"What happens at Georgetown Prep, stays at Georgetown Prep," Kavanaugh joked during a speech at the Catholic University's Columbus School of Law in Washington.

Kavanaugh said three of his good friends from Georgetown Preparatory School, who he remained close with, went to Columbus. He praised the law school for gearing its students to care about the poor and underprivileged and instilling a sense of service, which reminded him of his high school's motto, "Be men for others."

And he then said he remembered another unofficial motto from his time at the school.

"But fortunately, we had a good saying that we've held firm to, to this day, as the dean was reminding me before the talk, which is, 'What happens at Georgetown Prep, stays at Georgetown Prep,' " Kavanaugh said, drawing a few laughs. "That's been a good thing for all of us, I think."
Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., shared a clip of Kavanaugh making the joke in a tweet on Tuesday.

"I can't imagine any parent accepting this view. Is this really what America wants in its next Supreme Court Justice?" she wrote."
― Leon C. Megginson