Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: GOP Losing Ground for the 2018 Mid-Term Election  (Read 107241 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: GOP Losing Ground for the 2018 Mid-Term Election
« Reply #350 on: September 25, 2018, 08:24:35 PM »
Brett Kavanaugh's Body Language Says It All, According To An Expert

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/brett-kavanaugh-apos-body-language-133700859.html

Those of you that saw the Kamala Harris questioning of Brett Kavanaugh have already seen a sample of how Brett Kavanaugh's body language is when he lies.  Here is an article that describes it in more depth, and in addition to the Kamala Harris clip ..... gives other clips as well.

But do pay special attention to the Kamala Harris clip.  I would NOT want to play poker with her.  She nailed Kavanaugh and he was looking for ANYWAY OUT. 
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #351 on: September 25, 2018, 09:00:17 PM »
So whether you think of it as a lie or not, it was at least a misdirection.
Definitely!  I used the term "legalese".  Others would say, "Squirrel!"  I previously wrote "He's slimy".

Does anybody want to save the Republican Party?  What are they thinking/smoking/shooting?
[Yeah, I hear our friends who say, "Who needs Republicans when you have Corporate Democrats."]
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #352 on: September 25, 2018, 10:20:21 PM »
Things are looking bright for the Democrats in the sunshine state:

Title: "September 25, 2018 - Nelson Takes Lead In Critical Florida U.S. Senate Race, Quinnipiac"

https://poll.qu.edu/florida/release-detail?ReleaseID=2572

Title: "In the Florida U.S. Senate race, which could be critical to control of the Senate this year, Democratic incumbent Sen. Bill Nelson moves into a 53 - 46 percent likely voter lead over Gov. Rick Scott, the Republican challenger, according to a Quinnipiac University Poll released today.

This compares to a 49 - 49 percent dead heat in a September 5 survey by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University Poll."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 26, 2018, 12:05:36 AM »
I repeat that I think the Senate Democrats should hire Michael Avenatti to question Kavanaugh on Thursday:

Title: "GOP hires female attorney to question Kavanaugh accuser"

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/25/white-house-lashes-out-feinstein-838942

Extract: "Senate Republicans have hired a female attorney to use as a questioner of Christine Blasey Ford at Thursday's high-stakes hearing on a sexual assault allegation against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh but are declining to release her name."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 26, 2018, 01:04:30 AM »

Even if Kavanaugh get past the Senate Judiciary Committee, he would still need to be approved by a majority of the Senate after that:

Title: "Kavanaugh vote scheduled for Friday morning"

https://www.axios.com/kavanaugh-vote-reschedule-christine-blasey-ford-sexual-assault-a4e54b3b-3045-488c-9dfc-29ec280fd20f.html

Extract: "The Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled the vote for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh for Friday morning.

Why it matters: The key vote for Kavanaugh will be held a day after testimonies from both Kavanaugh and Christine Blasey Ford, who has accused Kavanaugh of sexual assault, are heard by the committee. Thursday's hearings could swing essential votes from senators on Trump's second Supreme Court nominee."
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #355 on: September 26, 2018, 07:02:58 AM »

Title: "September 25, 2018 - Nelson Takes Lead In Critical Florida U.S. Senate Race, Quinnipiac"

Title: "In the Florida U.S. Senate race, which could be critical to control of the Senate this year, Democratic incumbent Sen. Bill Nelson moves into a 53 - 46 percent likely voter lead over Gov. Rick Scott, the Republican challenger, according to a Quinnipiac University Poll released today.

This compares to a 49 - 49 percent dead heat in a September 5 survey by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University Poll."

That, despite all the money that Rick Scott has spent. Nelson claims Scott is outspending him 5 to 1. I don't usually donate to political candidates, but I did donate to Nelson's campaign.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #356 on: September 26, 2018, 01:28:58 PM »

I would not put too much faith in one poll.  Eight polls have been conducted this past month regarding this race and the results are 3 favoring Nelson, 2 favoring Scott, and 3 tied.  I would still call this a dead heat.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #357 on: September 26, 2018, 02:05:39 PM »
I would not put too much faith in one poll.  Eight polls have been conducted this past month regarding this race and the results are 3 favoring Nelson, 2 favoring Scott, and 3 tied.  I would still call this a dead heat.
I agree. I've done canvassing and other GOTV (get out the vote) activities this year, but I do this most even-yeared summers and autumns.  I was lured into canvassing, when a graduate student in New Zealand, to support the Values Party (remember them?) and have been involved since then.

The Values Party was a New Zealand political party. It is considered the world's first national-level environmentalist party, pre-dating the use of " Green " as a political label. It was established in May 1972 at Victoria University of Wellington.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 26, 2018, 06:10:35 PM »
If the GOP stick with Kavanaugh after these revelations, I hope that they get punished by midterm voters:

Title: "New Kavanaugh accuser Julie Swetnick details parties where girls allegedly were drugged and raped"

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/26/michael-avenatti-identifies-kavanaugh-accuser-as-julie-swetnick.html

Extract: "A third accuser of Supreme Court pick Brett Kavanaugh on Wednesday publicly identified herself and alleged that Kavanaugh and others while in high school spiked the drinks of girls at parties to make it easier for them to be gang raped.

Julie Swetnick's stunning claims, made on the eve of a Senate committee hearing for Kavanaugh and another accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, came in an affidavit to a Senate staffer that was released by her lawyer.

Swetnick, in the affidavit posted on Twitter by her lawyer Michael Avenatti, claims that she saw Kavanaugh, as a high school student in Maryland in the early 1980s, "drink excessively at many" house parties in suburban Maryland.

She said he engaged in "abusive and physically agressive behavior toward girls."
During the years of 1981 and 1982 she said she learned of efforts by Kavanaugh, his friend Mark Judge and others "to spike the drinks of girls at house parties I attended with grain alcohol and/or drugs so as to cause girls to lose inhibitions and their ability to say 'No.' "

Certain girls were targeted by those boys, and "it was usually a girl that was especially vulnerable because she was alone at the party or shy."

Swetnick said these efforts by Kavanaugh and his buddy Judge were done so the girls "could then be 'gang raped' in a side room or bedroom by a 'train' of numerous boys."

"I have a firm recollection of seeing boys lined up outside rooms at many of these parties waiting for their 'turn' with a girl inside the room. These boys included Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh," Swetnick said.

She also said in her affidavit sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee that in approximately 1982 "I became the victim of one of these 'gang' or 'train' rapes where Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh were present."

"Shortly after the incident, I shared what had transpired with at least two other people," Swetnick said.

"During the incident, I was incapacitated without my consent and unable to fight off the boys raping me, I believe I was drugged using Quaaludes or something similar placed in what I was drinking."

She says that she shared the story of her own alleged gang rape, which she says took place around 1982, with "at least two other people" shortly after it occurred."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 26, 2018, 06:16:03 PM »
Same song ..... just another verse. Five new changes, ALL in the direction of the Democrat's in the Cook Political Report.

House Rating Changes: Five More Races Move Towards Democrats

https://www.cookpolitical.com/analysis/house/house-overview/house-rating-changes-five-more-races-move-towards-democrats

Rating Changes:

CO-06: Mike Coffman (R) - Toss Up to Lean D ←
NY-02: Peter King (R) - Solid R to Likely R ←
NC-13: Ted Budd (R) - Lean R to Toss Up ←
PA-01: Brian Fitzpatrick (R) - Lean R to Toss Up ←
TX-31: John Carter (R) - Likely R to Lean R ←

Perhaps Donnie could make some MORE obnoxious remarks about WOMEN, LATINO's, GAY's, ASIAN's, BLACK's, etc.... etc.... etc.  I'm sure that will help the Republican's cause immensely.

Maybe Donnie could go ahead and pardon Bill Cosby .... THAT would certainly help the polling numbers.   ;)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 26, 2018, 06:18:25 PM »
I still think that the Democrats should hire Michael Avenatti to ask questions at Thursday's hearing:

Title: "All-male Senate Judiciary Republicans tap Arizona prosecutor Rachel Mitchell for Thursday’s Kavanaugh hearing"

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/26/17905270/who-is-rachel-mitchell-maricopa-county-prosecutor

Extract: "Senate Judiciary Committee Republicans know it could be a bad look for the 11 white Republican men on the committee to question Palo Alto University professor Christine Blasey Ford about her sexual assault allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh. So they’ve tapped a woman, Arizona prosecutor Rachel Mitchell, to do it.

Both Ford’s and Ramirez’s lawyers have pushed for an FBI investigation into their clients’ claims, arguing that it’s the best way to ensure a thorough, fair process. Republicans have said it’s not necessary — they’re going to hear from Ford and Kavanaugh on Thursday, no other witnesses, and that’s that."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 26, 2018, 06:28:30 PM »
If the GOP continues to support Kavanaugh, essentially they are telling US voters that America is now a kleptocracy and no longer a democracy:

Feinstein: Kavanaugh misled about grand jury secrecy in Vince Foster probe

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/26/kavanaugh-confirmation-starr-vince-foster-842530

Extract: "The top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee is accusing Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of misleading the Senate about his handling of grand jury secrets while working for Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr two decades ago.

Kavanaugh's nomination has run into trouble in the last two weeks over allegations of sexual assault by two women, but Democrats have also complained that he misled them during his Senate testimony on a number of issues, including his handling of warrantless wiretapping and detainee policy in the George W. Bush administration.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein told POLITICO that she has now identified another area in which she believes Kavanaugh was not truthful in communications with senators. She said that by directing officials to speak to reporters during the investigation of President Bill Clinton, Kavanaugh may have violated grand jury secrecy laws — even though he told her and Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) he never broke those rules."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 26, 2018, 06:38:58 PM »
In a kleptocracy government officials are free to lie publically, without fear of criminal investigation, as is the case where the GOP are preventing the FBI from re-opening their investigation of Kavanaugh for the Senate Judicary Committee hearings.

Title: "Read Kavanaugh's prepared testimony"

https://www.axios.com/brett-kavanaugh-opening-remarks-thursday-testimony-58cf6c74-e744-415d-a62f-e46dc3c6b74b.html
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 26, 2018, 06:47:30 PM »
The GOP will likely limit documentation of Kavanaugh's sexual assaults to whatever Blasey Ford can table before the kangaroo court that Grassley will Chair on Thursday:

Title: "Four Witnesses Swear Christine Blasey Ford Told Them About Alleged Assault Before Brett Kavanaugh’s Nomination"

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/christine-blasey-ford-husband-friends-sworn-statements-about-brett-kavanaugh-accusation.html

Extract: "Christine Blasey Ford has provided four sworn statements from people who say they had discussed her alleged assault before Brett Kavanaugh was nominated to the Supreme Court.

The declarations are from three of her friends as well as her husband, Russell Ford. Russell says that Christine had told him that her assailant was Kavanaugh before his nomination but did not mention him specifically again until his name came up as a potential Supreme Court nominee for the seat that would eventually go to Neil Gorsuch. “I remember Christine saying she was afraid the President might nominate Kavanaugh,” Russell Ford wrote.""
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 26, 2018, 08:42:54 PM »
Budmantis:

Good job on donating to Nelson’s campaign.  Since you are in one of thee most important states this cycle, I encourage you to do ANYTHING you can do to help get out the vote ... whether that is volunteering or simply talking to as many neighbors as you can.

I don’t have to remind residents of Florida how important EACH and every vote is.

1). Healthcare (pre existing conditions)
2). Tax breaks for the middle class instead of the Scott 1%
3). Preventing the ravages of global warming in Florida, instead of ignoring it like Scott does

This is the most important vote of our lifetime .... If you have neighbors that would like a ride to the polls, take them.  Every vote counts ....

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 27, 2018, 04:57:53 AM »
The charges against Kavanaugh keep coming:

Title: "Kavanaugh denies two additional accusations to Senate Judiciary Committee"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/politics/brett-kavanaugh-allegations/index.html

&

Title: "Kavanaugh questioned about Rhode Island sexual assault allegation"

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/408666-kavanaugh-questioned-about-rhode-island-sexual-assault-allegation

Extract: "Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh was questioned during a phone call with Judiciary Committee staff about an allegation that he sexually assaulted a woman in Rhode Island in the mid-1980s.

Democratic Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse's (R.I.) office received a phone call on Tuesday morning "making allegations concerning a rape on a boat in August of 1985," according to transcripts of a call between committee staff and Kavanaugh released on Wednesday.

The allegation, given to Whitehouse's staff and read on the call with Kavanaugh, claims that in August 1985 a "close acquaintance" of a Rhode Island constituent "was sexually assaulted by two heavily inebriated men she referred to at the time as Brett and Mark.""
― Leon C. Megginson

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #366 on: September 27, 2018, 08:09:15 AM »

If any/all of these turn out to be true we have to be VERY upset the all the previous FBI investigations they did on Kavanaugh didn't find ANY. Are they that incompetent ??  How do you get to be Judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia and one step away from the supreme court without any of this being found out??

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 27, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »
Jeff Flake's vote on Friday could block Kavanaugh's confirmation from moving past the Senate Judiciary Committee; but his linked speech suggests that he is thinking about running for president in 2020, and he is trying to thread the needle between stopping Trumpism while remaining true to traditional GOP values:

Title: "Kavanaugh hearing: Sen. Jeff Flake says, 'We have lit a match'"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/09/26/sen-jeff-flake-asks-senators-have-open-mind-kavanaugh-hearing/1432931002/

Extract: "Sen. Jeff Flake – one of the potential swing votes on Brett Kavanaugh's nomination to the Supreme Court – called on his colleagues Wednesday to have an open mind about the allegations against Kavanaugh and to recognize that both Kavanaugh and his accuser are human beings."
― Leon C. Megginson

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 27, 2018, 01:57:10 PM »

If any/all of these turn out to be true we have to be VERY upset the all the previous FBI investigations they did on Kavanaugh didn't find ANY. Are they that incompetent ??  How do you get to be Judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia and one step away from the supreme court without any of this being found out??

I suspect that the investigation was quite thorough.  None of this existed before his nomination, so there was nothing to find.  If you listen to the allegations, they all involved alcohol at school parties.  It may well be that each person is remembering the events as they believe they happened.  Uncovering the truth will be a very difficult endeavor.  Hence, the authorities are unwilling to undertake such an endeavor.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 27, 2018, 02:53:17 PM »

Team Mitch McConnell kept the Supreme Court seat that Merrick Garland should have filled open for over a year; certainly that sets a precedent that the seat that Kavanaugh has been nominated to fill could easily remain unfilled until a proper investigation of the facts have been conducted.  If not, a future Democratic controlled congress may well need to impeach Kavanaugh if a proper investigation provides sufficient evidence to convict him.

Title: "Merrick Garland"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrick_Garland

Extract: "On March 16, 2016, President Barack Obama nominated Garland to serve as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, to fill the vacancy created by the death of Antonin Scalia. The Senate refused to hold a hearing or vote on this nomination made during the last year of Obama's presidency, with the Republican majority insisting that the next elected President should fill the vacancy. Senate Republicans' refusal to consider the nomination was highly controversial. Garland's nomination lasted 293 days and expired on January 3, 2017, with the end of the 114th Congress."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 27, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »
I suspect that the investigation was quite thorough.  None of this existed before his nomination, so there was nothing to find.

NO ..... it means that since this was a Supreme Court Nomination, this has had 24x7 national TV exposure.  EVERYONE knows that someone has been nominated.

Were ANY of the current accusers questioned in Kavanaugh's earlier FBI investigations?  I suspect NOT.  The FBI would have had to have stumbled upon one of the 4 accusers.  And remember ..... Kavanaugh went to an ALL BOY'S SCHOOL.  The women WEREN'T "schoolmates".  They would have had to have questioned ALL THE GIRLS SCHOOLS.

If you listen to the allegations, they all involved alcohol at school parties.  It may well be that each person is remembering the events as they believe they happened.

Just because there was alcohol at the parties .... DOESN'T mean that everyone was smashed.  I had a couple of friends who went to some REAL BASHES when I was in high school, and they didn't drink or smoke AT ALL.  But they went to the parties and watched all of us idiots who DID smoke and drink.  My CLOSE group of friends (about 5 of us) .... one of the guys hated drinking and smoking.  After high school he was my roommate for a year before I went off to college.  HE NEVER SMOKED OR DRANK.

Uncovering the truth will be a very difficult endeavor.  Hence, the authorities are unwilling to undertake such an endeavor

Uncovering the truth isn't always easy, but that doesn't mean that you don't try.  Law enforcement does it ALL THE TIME.  THAT is why they have investigators ... TO INVESTIGATE.  That is why in the John Tower FBI investigation during his nomination, they RE-OPENED the investigation.  That is why during the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings, they RE-OPENED the FBI investigation.

During the above 2 confirmation hearings THE PRESIDENT ASKED THE FBI TO RE-OPEN THEIR BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION.  THAT .... is NORMAL when you want to make a good effort at getting to the TRUTH.

The authorities (in this case the FBI) are NOT UNWILLING TO UNDERTAKE SUCH AN ENDEAVOR. THE FBI HAS TO BE ASKED BY THE WHITE HOUSE TO DO SO.  The White House is the "client" in the FBI background investigation.  They are MORE THAN WILLING TO DO SO..... just as they did in the Clarence Thomas confirmation AND the John Tower investigation decades ago.

That pesky TRUTH .... have I ever told you that it NEVER GOES AWAY ;)

But you have to LOOK FOR IT ...... It doesn't generally jump up into your lap and pronounce itself as being HERE. 

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 27, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »
As I have said all along .... Donnie is going to do ANYTHING he can do to jam Kavanaugh through.  If Kavanaugh doesn't make it .... it won't be because Donnie didn't try everything he could to jam him through.  Trump needs him for some upcoming SCOTUS issues that Trump is going to go through.

And IF Kavanaugh makes it through ..... Kavanugh is beholding to Trump .... and Kavanugh WILL pay Trump back in spades.

IF, however, Kavanaugh doesn't make it through the confirmation vote ..... then some other things come into play, especially if the Dem's were to somehow win the House AND the Senate.  If Kavanugh doesn't get through ..... there may not be enough time to get anyone else through.  AND .... IF (I know .... BIG IF) the Dem's were to win the Senate ..... then you can forget the Republicans getting ANYONE THROUGH THE CONFIRMATION PROCESS IN THE NEXT 2 YEARS.  That would be the "Mitch payback".

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 27, 2018, 03:47:09 PM »
Per Larry Sabato's Crystal Ball ..... TODAY ..... this is where the House stands:

http://crystalball.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/2018-house/

Democrat's:
181 SOLID Dem
10 LIKELY Dem
17 LEAN Dem

Republicans:

144 SOLID Rep
33 LIKELY Rep
22 LEAN Rep

Tossups:  28

So Sabato has 208 Dem's, 199 Republicans, 28 TOSSUPS.

Of course .... you can see that the Dem's have three advantages (right now):

1)  Leading by about 9 seats (208 - 199) in those races that are NOT tossups

2)  Democrat's have many more "SOLID" seats (181 to 144)

3)  Republicans have more seats "at risk" ..... those that are either "lean" or "likely" .... but NOT SOLID by a count of 55 Republicans and 27 Democrat's. 

It's still EARLY ...... 40+ days to go, and ANYTHING can happen.  But I would much prefer leading at halftime by 2 touchdowns as opposed to trailing by 2 touchdowns (don't even MENTION the Stanford game  ;)).   But like the Stanford game ..... anything CAN happen ..... so the Dem's should not take anything for granted.

The Dem's still have a "shot" at taking the Senate .... but they need to have a really good 40 days ..... AND Donnie needs to hold more press conferences and keep talking about women.  ;)   

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:52:23 PM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 29, 2018, 01:35:35 AM »
Avenatti did a number on Cohen by cooperating with the New York State officials; just wait and see what he does by cooperating with the FBI regarding both Brett Kavanaugh and Mark Judge:

Title: "Avenatti says he will 'thoroughly enjoy embarrassing' Senate GOP for advancing Kavanaugh's nomination"

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/408991-avenatti-my-client-and-i-are-going-to-thoroughly-enjoy-embarrassing-judiciary

Extract: "Michael Avenatti, the attorney representing Julie Swetnick in her sexual misconduct allegations against Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh, issued a stern warning on Friday to Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“Warning - If the committee advances the nomination this afternoon, my client and I are going to thoroughly enjoy embarrassing @ChuckGrassley @LindseyGrahamSC @tedcruz and all of the other GOP members on the committee this weekend when her story is told and is deemed credible,” he tweeted Friday afternoon.

“And if you think I am bluffing, you have not been paying attention the last 7 months. I don’t traffic in nonsense. I traffic in facts and evidence,” he added."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 29, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »
The FBI will most likely investigate whether Kavanaugh's 1982 calendar entry support's Dr Ford's allegations:

Title: "Kavanaugh 1982 calendar entry could be examined in FBI investigation"

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/409062-kavanaugh-1982-calendar-entry-could-be-examined-in-fbi-investigation

Extract: "Though Kavanaugh's calendar makes no reference to Ford, Democrats have said the nominee's calendar notes could corroborate Ford's allegations.

During Kavanaugh’s testimony before the Senate panel Thursday, he said he regularly noted his “small get-togethers” with his friends.

“Go to Timmy’s for skis with Judge, Tom, P.J., Bernie and Squi,” the entry from Kavanaugh, then 17, reads.

“Timmy,” according to Kavanaugh's testimony, refers to his Georgetown Prep classmate Tim Gaudette. The other two people named are Mark Judge and Patrick “P.J.” Smyth, Kavanaugh noted. “Squi” refers to his friend Chris Garrett.

According to the Post, two of the people who Ford has claimed were in attendance the night she said she was attacked are listed on Kavanaugh’s July 1 calendar entry.

Ford testified that at least four boys, one whose name she could not remember, and one other girl were at the gathering.

The girl, Ford’s friend Leland Keyser, was her classmate at the private girls school Holton-Arms."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: September 29, 2018, 07:14:17 PM »
regarding both Brett Kavanaugh and Mark Judge:

Off topic belongs in Trump president thread imo.
This topic is already motivating the Democratic base, so I provide the following post in both threads:

The linked Washington Post article from 1990, supports Swetnick's assertion in that during the 1980's seven headmasters of privates schools in the Georgetown Prep were aware of a large number of unsupervised parties where "excessive-drinking and sexual license are common."  The FBI should talk to these headmasters about what incidences were reported to them to motivate them to write a joint letter to the parents of all relevant students:

Title: "AREA HEADMASTERS WARN PARENTS OF STUDENT PARTIES"
By Carlos Sanchez, February 4, 1990

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1990/02/04/area-headmasters-warn-parents-of-student-parties/06927fdb-a9fb-4a1c-89bb-8b004e21825e/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.deb9f32ee976

Extract: "The headmasters at seven of the Washington area's most prestigious private schools have written a letter to the parents of all students warning them that students are regularly throwing large, unsupervised parties where "excessive drinking and sexual license are common."

In what the headmasters called a rare joint effort, the letters, which were mailed Thursday, asked parents to step up supervision of their children to prevent them from attending or throwing weekend parties that are open to almost anyone and where alcohol is easily available.

The letter was written jointly "to give it more impact," said Malcolm Coates, headmaster at Landon School in Bethesda. "The fact that seven schools decided it was enough of a problem to address it is significant."

Individual schools have confronted the issue before. At the beginning of the school year, for example, Georgetown Preparatory School in Rockville held a conference with parents to discuss the problem of unsupervised parties and similar activities."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 29, 2018, 07:25:56 PM »
Per the linked WP article if the FBI's 'limited' week-long probe of Kavanaugh uncovers evidence that Kavanaugh lied to the Senate, then the FBI is free to open criminal investigation(s) 'in which law enforcement could use the full extent of its legal powers' unlimited by the White House:

Title: "FBI again drawn into partisan controversy as Republicans consent to 'limited,' additional Kavanaugh background check:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-again-drawn-into-partisan-controversy-as-republicans-consent-to-limited-additional-kavanaugh-background-check/2018/09/28/48e7a3c8-c34c-11e8-b338-a3289f6cb742_story.html?utm_term=.fcca83dfdcb0

Extract: "If investigators uncover evidence that Kavanaugh lied to lawmakers during hearings or on his background-check forms, that could spark a criminal investigation in which law enforcement could use the full extent of its legal powers.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 29, 2018, 07:35:20 PM »
It looks like the GOP will pay a price in the midterms for their miscalculations w.r.t. Kavanaugh

Title: "A majority of voters say they won't re-elect senators if they confirm Kavanaugh"

https://www.axios.com/kavanaugh-vote-2018-midterms-poll-3db8f6c6-c637-41a8-bbc5-a27bbad3abc3.html

Extract: "A majority of people wouldn’t vote to re-elect their senators if they vote to confirm Brett Kavanaugh, according to a new Change Research poll.

By the numbers: After the hearings, 51% of people said they are less likely re-elect their senators. And people found Dr. Christine Blasey Ford more believable (50%) and credible (48%) than Kavanaugh (44% for both.) 50% of people said they will view the Supreme Court as less credible if the Senate confirms Kavanaugh."
&

Title: "The miscalculation haunting Trump, Kavanaugh"

https://www.axios.com/trump-kavanaugh-fbi-investigation-2b04645c-5446-4879-b8e8-146e51677e9b.html

Extract: "… Republicans had an epic failure of imagination. They were forced reluctantly and publicly into what should have been a fairly easy-to-anticipate moderate compromise: agree to a vote after a quick FBI probe. Instead of looking hungry for truth, Kavanaugh heads into the week looking fearful of findings."
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #378 on: September 29, 2018, 09:48:30 PM »
By 1990, when WaPo wrote of the headmasters concerns, Kavanaugh would have been 25 years old, and Swetnick would have been out of high school for 10 years.

Julie apparently had a thing for young boys - hope the FBI doesn't dig too far in that direction. In 1982 she would have been 19, and Kavanaugh 16 years of age. Her father says she never made it to college, but why would she have been hanging with high school kids and attending at least 10 of their high school parties?
Women can be charged with statutory rape.

This isn't the first time she's accused others of sexual misconduct, and she's lost at least one job for being a little too sexually aggressive herself.

https://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2018/09/julie_swetnick_one_of_kavanaug.html

Perhaps her choice in lawyering up is to be expected.

Trial by TV is a horrible concept for everyone involved. Peoples lives are being ruined while we're treating it as though it's a sporting event.
I'm outa here
Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 30, 2018, 01:04:49 AM »
Hopefully the FBI will talk to Julie Swetnick and not blow-off her serious allegation about the rape culture in and around Georgetown Prep in the 1980's:

Title: "The rape culture of the 1980s, explained by Sixteen Candles"

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/9/27/17906644/sixteen-candles-rape-culture-1980s-brett-kavanaugh

Extract: "In the 1980s, “rape” meant an attack from a stranger in a dark alley, not something that acquaintances did to each other at house parties where everyone knows each other. In 1982, it would have been difficult for women like Swetnick and Christine Blasey Ford to find the language to describe what had happened to them.

“I completely reject that notion,” said French on Twitter when presented with the argument that the way our culture talked about rape in the 1980s was different than it is today. “I was in high school in the 1980s. Gang rape was viewed as a horrible crime then, too.”

It’s true that gang rape was considered a horrible crime in the 1980s — but in the abstract, when thought of as a crime perpetrated by a group of strangers on an innocent, sober, virginal good-girl victim in a dark alley. But it’s simply not the case that the mainstream culture at large in the ’80s had the same ideas we do today about sexual assault — especially when it’s perpetrated by people who know each other, at parties, around alcohol.

We can tell that it’s not the case because there are many beloved, iconic movies made in the 1980s that built entire comedic subplots over what we can better recognize today as rape scenes. And in those movies, rape wasn’t a horrible crime. It was supposed to be funny."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 30, 2018, 02:05:45 AM »
It appears that the White House is directing the FBI's investigations from the shadows.  This is a national scandal all by itself, as it amount to obstruction of justice by the WH (Trump):

Title: "White House limits scope of the FBI's investigation into the allegations against Brett Kavanaugh"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/white-house-limits-scope-fbi-s-investigation-allegations-against-brett-n915061

Extract: "The White House is limiting the scope of the FBI’s investigation into the sexual misconduct allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, multiple people briefed on the matter told NBC News.

While the FBI will examine the allegations of Christine Blasey Ford and Deborah Ramirez, the bureau has not been permitted to investigate the claims of Julie Swetnick, who has accused Kavanaugh of engaging in sexual misconduct at parties while he was a student at Georgetown Preparatory School in the 1980s, those people familiar with the investigation told NBC News. A White House official confirmed that Swetnick's claims will not be pursued as part of the reopened background investigation into Kavanaugh.

The limited scope seems to be at odds with what some members of the Senate judiciary seemed to expect when they agreed to give the FBI as much as a week to investigate allegations against Kavanaugh, a federal judge who grew up in the Washington DC area and attended an elite all-boys high school before going on to Yale.

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the FBI has "free reign" in the investigation. "They’re going to do whatever they have to do," he said. "Whatever it is they do, they’ll be doing — things that we never even thought of. And hopefully at the conclusion everything will be fine.""

See also:

Title: "White House Directs FBI to Interview First Two Kavanaugh Accusers, But Not the Third"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-directs-fbi-to-interview-first-two-kavanaugh-accusers-but-not-the-third-1538256505
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 02:11:46 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 30, 2018, 02:19:00 AM »
Trump cannot stop himself from politicizing the FBI's investigation of Kavanaugh, and maybe at odd with what some Senators are expecting before they vote:

Title: "White House limits scope of Kavanaugh FBI investigation to sexual assault claims"

https://www.axios.com/white-house-brett-kavanaugh-investigation-sexual-assault-464ade88-e74b-4074-a656-8323a3c504ad.html

Extract: "The White House is limiting the scope of the week-long FBI investigation into Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh to only the sexual assault claims made by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and Deborah Ramirez, reports NBC News.

Why it matters: The White House has provided the bureau with a list of witnesses they can interview, and Julie Swetnick, Kavanaugh's third accuser, is not included. The restraints on the investigation may be at odds with what some on the Senate Judiciary Committee expected to be included in the investigation. Kavanaugh has vehemently denied the claims made against him from all three women."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 30, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »
I think that the GOP is walking a tightrope on the Kavanaugh FBI investigation, and they had better get it right or face voter wrath in the midterms:

Title: "The Memo: GOP risks disaster with Kavanaugh, midterms"

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/409074-the-memo-gop-risks-disaster-with-kavanaugh-midterms

Extract: "The question for Republicans, as they press forward with Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, is whether they risk alienating female voters for years — and just in time for this year’s midterms.
Progressives are certain the GOP will end up on the losing side, pointing to intense outrage over the likely confirmation of a judge to the Supreme Court despite compelling testimony from Christine Blasey Ford, who says he sexually assaulted her decades ago.
“I think the Republicans are going to lose women for a generation,” said Karine Jean-Pierre, a senior adviser and national spokeswoman for MoveOn, a progressive group."

See also:

Title: "Trump: No limits on FBI's investigation into allegations against Brett Kavanaugh"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/white-house-limits-scope-fbi-s-investigation-allegations-against-brett-n915061

Extract: ""I want them to interview whoever they deem appropriate, at their discretion," Trump tweeted in response to an NBC News report citing multiple people familiar with the process who said the White House was limiting the scope of the reopened background investigation of Kavanaugh."

&
Title: "Grassley asks FBI to probe apparent false allegations against Kavanaugh"

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/409107-judiciary-committee-refers-apparent-false-allegations-against-kavanaugh-for
― Leon C. Megginson

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 30, 2018, 06:32:00 PM »
On a serious note, imv Kavanaugh's senate confirmation will be denied if it goes to a vote. Slim chance he may even recuse himself beforehand. If he goes that way this will happen before Friday 5th Oct. Remember you heard it here first.

"Lurk - the New Bellingcat"
Getting things right is our business model.

I suspect that will happen only if the FBI finds some credible evidence to support Ford’s allegations.  If their investigation supports Kavanaugh’s claims or they find nothing, then I would expect a confirmation.  The Democrats have bet everything on an FBI investigation.  If it comes up blank, they will be out of options.  On a side note, the latest poll in Cal, shows Feinstein’s lead down to 11, and her support at less than half.  This is a big drop, since before the allegations of Dr. Ford were presented.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 30, 2018, 07:44:54 PM »
Trump's tweet on the freedom of the FBI investigation of Kavanaugh is fake news:

Title: "Limits to FBI's Kavanaugh investigation have not changed, despite Trump's comments"

Extract: "The FBI has received no new instructions from the White House about how to proceed with its weeklong investigation of sexual misconduct allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, a senior U.S. official and another source familiar with the matter tell NBC News.

According to the sources, the president’s Saturday night tweet saying he wants the FBI to interview whoever agents deem appropriate has not changed the limits imposed by the White House counsel’s office on the FBI investigation — including a specific witness list that does not include Julie Swetnick, who has accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct in high school.

Also not on the list, the sources say, are former classmates who have contradicted Kavanaugh’s account of his college alcohol consumption, instead describing him as a frequent, heavy drinker. The FBI is also not authorized to interview high school classmates who could shed light on what some people have called untruths in Kavanaugh’s Senate Judiciary Committee testimony about alleged sexual references in his high school yearbook.

Separately, a White House official made clear that the White House is the client in this process. This is not an FBI criminal investigation — it is a background investigation in which the FBI is acting on behalf of the White House. Procedurally, the White House does not allow the FBI to investigate as it sees fit, the official acknowledged; the White House sets the parameters.

Instead of investigating Swetnick's claims, the White House counsel’s office has given the FBI a list of witnesses they are permitted to interview, according to several people who discussed the parameters on the condition of anonymity. They characterized the White House instructions as a significant constraint on the FBI investigation and caution that such a limited scope, while not unusual in normal circumstances, may make it difficult to pursue additional leads in a case in which a Supreme Court nominee has been accused of sexual assault.

The limited scope seems to be at odds with what some members of the Senate judiciary seemed to expect when they agreed to give the FBI as much as a week to investigate allegations against Kavanaugh, a federal judge who grew up in the Washington DC area and attended an elite all-boys high school before going on to Yale."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 30, 2018, 08:35:48 PM »
The linked op/ed piece is written by an expert on Maryland State law, and in his opinion, many of the alleged offenses committed by Kavanaugh against Ford, have no statute of limitations, and thus Kananaugh could be prosecuted by the Maryland State's AG office if sufficient evidence is found:

Title: "Kavanaugh’s accuser deserves a fair criminal investigation", By Thiru Vignarajah, September 19

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/kavanaughs-accuser-deserves-a-fair-criminal-investigation/2018/09/19/c0605ec4-bc1a-11e8-97f6-0cbdd4d9270e_story.html?utm_term=.9cf2c2a7e521

Extract: "Thiru Vignarajah, a Democrat, previously served as an assistant U.S. attorney for the District of Maryland from 2009-2011 and as deputy attorney general of Maryland from 2015-2016. He was a law clerk to Supreme Court Justice Stephen G. Breyer from 2006-2007.

Some of the possible alleged offenses in this case, such as false imprisonment, are misdemeanors whose statutes of limitations ran out long ago. But other potential charges are not necessarily barred, even today, because Maryland has not imposed time limits on certain felony crimes.

For example, attempting a sexual assault with the aid of another person counts as attempted first-degree rape, just as restricting a victim’s breathing to stop her from shouting for help could fairly qualify as first-degree assault. Both are felonies with no statute of limitations in Maryland. Likewise, under Maryland law, using force to move a victim a short distance, even from one room to another, can amount to kidnapping, a crime that similarly has no limitations period. There are examples across the country where convictions for kidnapping have been upheld in cases where rapists took the victim just to a separate room to commit the crime."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 30, 2018, 09:14:15 PM »
This has all the appearances of a sham.  Should we expect anything less from a con man?  I think not.  Now we’ll see what type out outrage is generated from the public, especially the public in Alaska, Maine, and Arizona.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #387 on: September 30, 2018, 11:25:13 PM »

I suspect that will happen only if the FBI finds some credible evidence to support Ford’s allegations.  If their investigation supports Kavanaugh’s claims or they find nothing, then I would expect a confirmation.  The Democrats have bet everything on an FBI investigation.  If it comes up blank, they will be out of options.  On a side note, the latest poll in Cal, shows Feinstein’s lead down to 11, and her support at less than half.  This is a big drop, since before the allegations of Dr. Ford were presented.
That's a huge loss of support in a very Blue State.
If Ford vs Kavanaugh isn't playing well in California, what does that do to Democratic hopes in much needed Purple States?

FWIW I'm ignoring the possibility of the FBI digging up anything new that will sway opinions in the next few days. Feinstein has had Ford's claims for some time & if more corroboration was out there we would have heard it by now.
Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 01, 2018, 12:12:59 AM »
Avenatti will take Swetnick's facts to the US voters if the FBI declines to interview her:

Title: "Avenatti Vows to ‘Take the Facts’ to the American People if FBI’s Kavanaugh Probe Doesn’t Include his Client"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/avenatti-vows-to-take-the-facts-to-the-american-people-if-fbis-kavanaugh-probe-doesnt-include-his-client

Extract: "Michael Avenatti blasted as “outrageous” an apparent move by the White House to limit the scope of the FBI investigation into sexual assault allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and not include a woman he is representing.

“Trump has now determined that he and he alone will be the sole arbiter of whether a woman’s claims of sexual assault and misogyny are credible,” Avenatti said in a tweet Saturday evening. “Why even have an FBI investigation? I thought it was their job to make this determination. He and Kavanaugh are afraid of the truth.”

The response came hours after Avenatti, the high profile lawyer who is weighing a 2020 presidential run, told the The Daily Beast during a stop in New Hampshire that his client Julie Swetnick was “anxious to sit down with the FBI to tell her story.”

In an interview during the brief stop in New Hampshire, Avenatti vowed to “take the facts” to the public if Swetnick’s allegations aren’t included in the FBI investigation.
He also touted that President Donald Trump and top Republicans in the Senate view him as a “considerable threat.”"
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #389 on: October 01, 2018, 05:25:45 AM »
"Avenatti, the high profile lawyer who is weighing a 2020 presidential run..."

Holy shit. I have posted related articles in the 2020 candidates thread.

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2200.msg174897.html#msg174897

sidd
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:32:14 AM by sidd »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 01, 2018, 10:29:26 AM »
Trump has no Plan B, so if the Democrats win, they win big (bigly):

Title: "Brett Kavanaugh is "too big to fail""

https://www.axios.com/brett-kavanaugh-white-house-replacement-discussion-4f24b604-4af4-48b8-92a2-928024e09815.html

Extract: "For the White House, it's Brett Kavanaugh or bust. They have no Plan B and there's not even discussion of one, according to five sources with direct knowledge of the sensitive internal White House talks.

The bottom line: As of this weekend, sources close to Kavanaugh seemed optimistic the limited weeklong FBI investigation would give the three wavering Republican senators — Jeff Flake, Collins and Murkowski — the confidence they need to vote yes. But a week is an eternity in this political environment. And if Kavanaugh's nomination collapses, there are no easy alternatives."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 01, 2018, 11:42:56 AM »
Remember that if the FBI probe demonstrates that Kavanaugh lied under oath to the Senate Judiciary Committee, then his job interview is over and he will be voted down (because Flake, Collins and/or Murkowski will no longer have uncertainty to hide behind).  Note also that the Senate floor vote is not part of a federal criminal trial that needs to prove sexual assault beyond a shadow of a doubt, it and has a much lower bar for what constitutes corroborating evidence.

So let review some facts:

1. In 1982 Dr Ford was "dating Kavanaugh's friend' Chris Garrett, so he clearly knew her.

2. Kavanaugh's 1982 calendar has him attending a small party with his friends (Judge, P.J. Smyth, and Garrett or "Squi") on July 1st, which is the likely date of the alleged sexual assault (during a pre-party "pre-loading" gathering before Garrett was perhaps to arrive).

3. Dr Ford says she saw Mark Judge working at a Safeway "6 to 8 weeks" after the assault, which would put the assault in early July as Kavanaugh's calendar corroborated.

4. Mark Judge's girlfriend says that Judge (Kavanaugh's alleged co-conspirator) spoke about assaulting women at parties while drunk.  But the White House (read as: Don McGahn) has forbidden the FBI from talking to her.

5. Many of Kavanaugh's friends have made statements about his aggressive drinking habits and two other named women (Ramirez and Swetnick [who says see saw Kavanaugh groping women at parties]) confirm his aggressive sexual behavior at parties toward women while drunk. But the White House has forbidden the FBI from speaking to the list of witnesses that Ramirez provided to corroborated her story and forbidden the FBI from talking to Swetnick.

6. The FBI has already give Dr Ford a lie detector test and found her believable, but they have not stated any intent to give a lie detector test to Kavanaugh.  Polygraph test may not provide criminal evidence in Federal Courts but they admissible for job interviews before the Judiciary Committee.

7. Kavanaugh stated under oath that Leland Ingham Keyser and P.J. Smyth had "refuted" what Dr Ford said happened inside the bedroom; however, they were allegedly not in the room; so this is a lie under oath.

8. Dr Ford had discussed the alleged assault with multiple people (therapist, husband, girlfriends, classmates [Cristina King Miranda], etc) since the alleged assault prior to knowing that Kavanaugh was nominated to the SCOTUS.  But the WH has forbidden the FBI from talking to many/most of these people.

9. Kavanaugh lied about the meaning of entries in his high school yearbook related to both drinking (including "boofing") and sexual behavior (Renate alumnius).

10. Kavanaugh lied under oath about blacking out while drinking (which a number of witnesses have confirmed publically).

By Friday we will see what the FBI probe documents and what Avenatti makes public if the FBI do not interview Swetnick.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:48:56 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 01, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »
Here is a link to the letter that Senator Feinstein sent to both Don McGahn and Christopher Wray, asking for a copy of the written instructions to the FBI regarding their probe of Kavanaugh.  I note that it may be the case that Trump's tweets about the nature of the FBI investigation cannot overrule McGahn's written instructions:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1046534460089552898?s=12
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 01, 2018, 06:41:28 PM »
The FBI's investigation should note that Kavanaugh repeatedly lied (under oath) about his drinking in both high school and college.  If Kavanaugh is not confirmed and the Democrats win control of both the House and the Senate in the midterms, the Supreme Court could remain in a 4-4 balance until at least 2021:

Title: "Brett Kavanaugh wrongly claimed he could drink legally in Maryland in high school"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kavanaugh-drink-beer-legally-in-maryland-claim-false-2018-09-28/

Extract: "Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh has repeatedly said that he was legally allowed to consume beer as a prep school senior in Maryland. In fact, he was never legal in high school because the state's drinking age increased to 21 at the end of his junior year, while he was still 17."

&

Title: "Yale classmate to tell FBI of Kavanuagh's 'violent drunken' behavior"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/kavanaugh-classmate-tell-fbi-nominee-s-violent-drunken-behavior-college-n915326

Extract: "Charles Ludington, a classmate of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh at Yale University, will provide information to the FBI on Monday, he confirmed to NBC News.

News of Ludington's involvement was first reported by The Washington Post, which said he planned to give a statement to the FBI at its field office in Raleigh, North Carolina, "detailing violent drunken behavior by Kavanaugh in college.""
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 01, 2018, 06:59:48 PM »
Talk about con jobs, the FBI's probe only responses to requests from Don McGahn, not Trump nor the Senate majority:

Title: "Trump wants 'comprehensive' but 'quick' FBI investigation on Kavanaugh"

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/409268-trump-fbi-should-do-what-they-have-to-do-in-kavanaugh-investigation

Extract: "President Trump said Monday that he wants the FBI to conduct a "comprehensive investigation" into the sexual misconduct allegations against his Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, but also that it should be handled quickly.

Trump also called for the FBI to conduct its investigation within the parameters of what the Senate GOP majority had set out.

"I think the FBI should do what they have to do to get to the answer," Trump told reporters during a press conference announcing a new trade deal with Mexico and Canada.

"I want them to do a very comprehensive investigation, whatever that means according to the senators, and the Republicans, and the Republican majority, I want them to do that," the president added."
― Leon C. Megginson

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #395 on: October 01, 2018, 07:44:30 PM »
Newly released transcribed and redacted phone interview with BK and Senate Judiciary Committee in which a new (to me) anonymous accuser is mentioned, "Jane Doe." (p.5, line 8 , her full letter is a few pages later...harrowing reading! )

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/09.26.18%20BMK%20Interview%20Transcript%20(Redacted).pdf

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:21:19 PM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 01, 2018, 08:41:55 PM »
The FBI's investigation should note that Kavanaugh repeatedly lied (under oath) about his drinking in both high school and college.  If Kavanaugh is not confirmed and the Democrats win control of both the House and the Senate in the midterms, the Supreme Court could remain in a 4-4 balance until at least 2021:

Title: "Brett Kavanaugh wrongly claimed he could drink legally in Maryland in high school"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kavanaugh-drink-beer-legally-in-maryland-claim-false-2018-09-28/

Extract: "Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh has repeatedly said that he was legally allowed to consume beer as a prep school senior in Maryland. In fact, he was never legal in high school because the state's drinking age increased to 21 at the end of his junior year, while he was still 17."

No, Kavanaugh repeatedly stated that the seniors were allowed to drink legally (he was a junior).  While Maryland increased the drinking age to 21, they grandfathered in those who had already attained the age of 18, namely the seniors to which Kavanaugh referred.  Please try to adhere to the facts and not National Enquire type rhetoric.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 01, 2018, 10:51:45 PM »
The link provides a link to minutes of a private senate judiciary committee interview with Kanavaugh on Sept 26 2018.  The discussion on page thirteen covers an accusation from a letter sent to Kamala Harris that in high school Kavanaugh and his friend raped a girl in the back seat of his car.  Hopefully, the FBI will investigate this allegation:

https://www.judiciary.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/09.26.18%20BMK%20Interview%20Transcript%20(Redacted).pdf
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 02, 2018, 01:26:30 AM »

No, Kavanaugh repeatedly stated that the seniors were allowed to drink legally (he was a junior).  While Maryland increased the drinking age to 21, they grandfathered in those who had already attained the age of 18, namely the seniors to which Kavanaugh referred.  Please try to adhere to the facts and not National Enquire type rhetoric.

At a minimum Kavanaugh was lying by omission:

Title: "Kavanaugh Lied About Maryland’s Drinking Age Numerous Times While Testifying"

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectualist/news/kavanaugh-lied-about-maryland-s-drinking-age-numerous-times-while-testifying-C4zr5GjsKkCU15AUDGgr_w/

Extract: "“Yes we drank beer, my friends and I, boys and girls. Yes, we drank beer. I liked beer. I still like beer,” he said. “The drinking age as I noted was 18, so the seniors were legal. Senior year in high school, people were legal to drink.”"

Edit: At worst it is a direct lie because he said under oath that: "Senior year in high school, people were legal to drink."  But when he was a senior it was not legal for him to drink, but he did anyway.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:33:05 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 02, 2018, 03:47:15 AM »

At a minimum Kavanaugh was lying by omission:

Title: "Kavanaugh Lied About Maryland’s Drinking Age Numerous Times While Testifying"

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectualist/news/kavanaugh-lied-about-maryland-s-drinking-age-numerous-times-while-testifying-C4zr5GjsKkCU15AUDGgr_w/

Extract: "“Yes we drank beer, my friends and I, boys and girls. Yes, we drank beer. I liked beer. I still like beer,” he said. “The drinking age as I noted was 18, so the seniors were legal. Senior year in high school, people were legal to drink.”"

Edit: At worst it is a direct lie because he said under oath that: "Senior year in high school, people were legal to drink."  But when he was a senior it was not legal for him to drink, but he did anyway.

During the time in question, Kavanaugh was a junior.  That fact was repeated several times.  It does not take a genius to figure out that the seniors were a year older.  That omission is hardly a lie.  You are stretching thinner and thinner.