Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: GOP Losing Ground for the 2018 Mid-Term Election  (Read 107280 times)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: GOP Losing Ground for the 2018 Mid-Term Election
« Reply #500 on: October 09, 2018, 05:00:15 PM »

That's funny ..... because as a FISCAL CONSERVATIVE ...

I NEVER thought I would be looking for Democrat's to be the "fiscally responsible party" ..... but that is where we now stand.
So - as a "Fiscal Conservative", who's party have you been supporting?

Certainly the party of Clinton and Obama wouldn't be your choice, so was it the party of Bush, Romney and McCain?
Did your political dissonance begin when Trump became the candidate of your party?
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #501 on: October 10, 2018, 01:22:53 PM »
By the way .... when I talk about “we” with regards to the US elections, I mean voting US citizens ... that is who the “we” is.

I saw someone else post part of someone’s earlier post, where a Canadian-Russian Trump supporter used “we” as though he was a voting US citizen, and a Democrat.   I thought it was pretty funny that someone who is a Trump supporter and a Putin apologist would try to include himself as a Democrat and a voting US citizen ..... when he is none of those.  Right comrade? 😉
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #502 on: October 10, 2018, 04:09:11 PM »
The GOP may well get a 'reality check' in November:

Title: "Poll: Kavanaugh confirmation energizes Democrats more than GOP"

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/10/poll-kavanaugh-midterms-885940

Extract: " Republicans are touting the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh as rocket fuel for the GOP grass roots in next month’s midterm elections, but it’s Democrats who appear more energized by the nomination fight, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll.

Kavanaugh’s confirmation is not popular: In the poll, which was conducted entirely after last week’s Senate vote, 46 percent of voters said the Senate "made the wrong decision" in approving the controversial judge, while 40 percent said it was right to elevate him to the high court."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 10, 2018, 04:16:09 PM »
Democratic control of the Senate has a very narrow path to victory, but the path to controlling the House is shown to be widening with each new poll:

Title: "One month until the midterms: House Democrats lead Republicans by double-digits in new poll"

https://www.salon.com/2018/10/09/one-month-until-the-midterms-house-democrats-lead-republicans-by-double-digits-in-new-poll/

Extract: "A new study finds that 209 seats are firmly or leaning Democratic, nine shy of what’s needed to retake the House"
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #504 on: October 10, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
Democratic control of the Senate has a very narrow path to victory, but the path to controlling the House is shown to be widening with each new poll:

The actual polls are showing the opposite.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/house/2018_elections_house_map_race_changes.html

Still dems ahead and probably going to take the house BUT definitely not "widening"

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #505 on: October 10, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »

The actual polls are showing the opposite.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/house/2018_elections_house_map_race_changes.html

Still dems ahead and probably going to take the house BUT definitely not "widening"

538 just moved TX and TN into the likely R category (from leans R).  On the flip side, they moved FL from a toss-up to a leans D.  The overall Dem prospects at winning the Senate have fallen below 20% - the lowest since they started tracking the midterms.  The House has remained fairly steady, with the Dems given a 78% chance of winning the House.  Still, the actual 538 count is 227-208, with 14 toss-ups

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 10, 2018, 06:03:28 PM »
...snip

.  The House has remained fairly steady, with the Dems given a 78% chance of winning the House.  Still, the actual 538 count is 227-208, with 14 toss-ups

According to 538 the dems already have a pretty safe majority .

I guess RCP isn't as sure and still have 32 toss-ups.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 10, 2018, 06:50:18 PM »
...snip

.  The House has remained fairly steady, with the Dems given a 78% chance of winning the House.  Still, the actual 538 count is 227-208, with 14 toss-ups

538 seems to be much quicker to make the call.  Prior to the 2016 election, 538 had Clinton leading the electoral college 268-187 with 83 toss-ups, which most viewed as pretty safe majority.  RCP had Clinton leading 203-164, with 171 toss-ups, a much closer race.  The final tally was 232-306, excluding spoiled ballots.  RCP had one incorrect call (WI), compared to 538, which prematurely gave Clinton three states (WI, MI, and PA). 

538 appears to give the polls more credence.  A word of caution in doing so; the polls are "adjusted" to yield the same proportion of voter demographics as the previous election.  Hence, the polls are more hindsight than foresight.  Few pollsters have figured out how to correct for this.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 17, 2018, 04:51:25 PM »
If you are dependent on Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid, then you should vote against the GOP in the 2018 midterms:

Title: "Mitch McConnell Calls for Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid Cuts After Passing Tax Cuts, Massive Defense Spending"

https://www.newsweek.com/deficit-budget-tax-plan-social-security-medicaid-medicare-entitlement-1172941

Extract: "After instituting a $1.5 trillion tax cut and signing off on a $675 billion budget for the Department of Defense, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the only way to lower the record-high federal deficit would be to cut entitlement programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 18, 2018, 03:38:46 PM »
The Democrats are out-raising the Republicans for the midterms.  We will soon see what that translates into regarding Congressional seats:

Title: "Midterm fundraising breaks $2 billion"

https://www.axios.com/2018-midterm-elections-fundraising-totals-3433bf48-ae49-4c1f-8da9-3b6bb6a0789e.html

Extract: "Democratic candidates running for Congress this year have raised more than $1 billion, while Republicans took in $709 million through September, according to a Washington Post analysis by Michelle Ye Hee Lee and Anu Narayanswamy."
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:49:34 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Red

« Reply #510 on: October 20, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »
https://www.greanvillepost.com/2018/10/19/why-is-russiagate-rumbling-into-the-2018-midterms/

The question is not whether Russia, like other countries with extensive intelligence apparatuses, seeks to influence the elections of foreign nations. The question is why corporate media are concentrating on foreign interference, and not the other threats to democracy. In a previous article (FAIR.org, 7/27/18), I argued that the Democrats are using Russia to deflect anger and discontent away from their own failings. If Russia is to blame, there is no need for introspection, nor to address the deep race and class divides in the country that are addressed by surging political movements on the left, from Sanders to Black Lives Matter, and exploited by Trump and the alt-right. The focus on Russia as the sole reason for Trump’s victory allows establishment Democrats to continue as normal, without need for radical internal or policy change. As Clinton said, “America is already great.” To deflect pressure from the left, they can construct a narrative to explain why they lost to the most unpopular candidate ever.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 23, 2018, 06:20:54 PM »
A blue wave is likely contingent upon a high voter turnout for the midterms.  So if you are living in one of the early voting states shown on the accompanying list, go out and vote now:
― Leon C. Megginson

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #512 on: October 23, 2018, 06:28:16 PM »
who is funding the caravan of immigrants heading north .. they are a bumper bonus for Trump and co .. ?
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 23, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
https://www.greanvillepost.com/2018/10/19/why-is-russiagate-rumbling-into-the-2018-midterms/

The question is not whether Russia, like other countries with extensive intelligence apparatuses, seeks to influence the elections of foreign nations. The question is why corporate media are concentrating on foreign interference, and not the other threats to democracy. In a previous article (FAIR.org, 7/27/18), I argued that the Democrats are using Russia to deflect anger and discontent away from their own failings. If Russia is to blame, there is no need for introspection, nor to address the deep race and class divides in the country that are addressed by surging political movements on the left, from Sanders to Black Lives Matter, and exploited by Trump and the alt-right. The focus on Russia as the sole reason for Trump’s victory allows establishment Democrats to continue as normal, without need for radical internal or policy change. As Clinton said, “America is already great.” To deflect pressure from the left, they can construct a narrative to explain why they lost to the most unpopular candidate ever.

Well put.  Reminds me of Eyster's quote, “The best way to avoid becoming a scapegoat is to find one.”

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 23, 2018, 08:36:35 PM »
Unless the Democrats turn out in force for the midterms, this may be the last free and fair election that the US sees for a while:

Title: "Carl Bernstein: Trump preparing to call midterm elections 'illegitimate' if Democrats take power"

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/carl-bernstein-trump-preparing-to-call-midterm-elections-illegitimate-if-democrats-take-power

Extract: " Journalist Carl Bernstein said Sunday that President Trump has discussed ways to challenge the results of the midterm elections if the GOP's grasp on power slips.

During an appearance on CNN, Bernstein said his sources relayed this information to him on Friday, warning that Trump has talked about a disruption campaign if the results are close but have the Democrats taking control of the House or Senate."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 23, 2018, 09:07:57 PM »
Trump will do or say ANYTHING to hang on to BOTH/EITHER parts of Congress.  PERIOD.  He knows if the Republicans loses the house, they are going to investigate him and his cronies IN PUBLIC .... ON TV .... and there is NOT enough bull shit in the world to cover THAT up. 🐂

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 24, 2018, 10:49:49 AM »
who is funding the caravan of immigrants heading north .. they are a bumper bonus for Trump and co .. ?

Someone is hoping there will be a violent clash at the border right before the election, crying kids, blood if possible.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 24, 2018, 02:04:43 PM »
Abrupt,

I think that gossip and propaganda should have no place on this forum.  Spreading such only lessens ones credibility.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 24, 2018, 03:01:31 PM »
Abrupt,

I think that gossip and propaganda should have no place on this forum.  Spreading such only lessens ones credibility.

That's what "Orange man bad!" NPC's do.
I thought the left was better than that. :o

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #519 on: October 24, 2018, 04:41:34 PM »
I call BS on this pearl-necklace-clutching horror about sources. I can't recall you folks ever questioning when...certain posters constantly posted pieces from RT.

Be even handed in your horror at less-than-perfect sources or stfu.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 24, 2018, 04:58:03 PM »
I call BS on this pearl-necklace-clutching horror about sources. I can't recall you folks ever questioning when...certain posters constantly posted pieces from RT.

Be even handed in your horror at less-than-perfect sources or stfu.

But but... us RT (and the such) followers are supposed to be "conspiracy theory nuts" so we are allowed! The likes of Buddy, AbuptSLR ,Rob  are supposed to be better than us like I have stated.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 24, 2018, 05:32:27 PM »
...snip

538 is making several predictions based on recent NYTimes polling.  On the eve of the 2016 election, the NYTimes gave Clinton an 84% chance of winning.  They also gave Clinton a 64% chance of winning NC, a 67% chance of winning Florida, an 89% chance of winning Pennsylvania, and a 93% chance on winning in Wisconsin and Michigan.  In fact, the Times overestimated Clinton's support by a whopping four percentage points in the battleground states.  Conversely, they overestimated Trump's support in Nevada by 0.3%. 

538 also has some in-depth analysis on each individual race.  Out of curiosity, I checked on my own House race, in which the most recent poll showed a dead heat, and RCP rated as a pure toss-up.  538 rated it as likely Democrat - not even lean, which is their designation for the close races. 

2016 may have been a fluke polling wise.  If not, many Democrats will be sorely disappointed.  I would not take too much comfort in their 85% chance of the Democrats winning the House.

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #522 on: October 24, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »
538 also has some in-depth analysis on each individual race.  Out of curiosity, I checked on my own House race, in which the most recent poll showed a dead heat, and RCP rated as a pure toss-up.  538 rated it as likely Democrat - not even lean, which is their designation for the close races. 
RCP is included in 538's "Deluxe" forecast, which has a lower chance than the standard forecast.  The standard forecast is higher than polling mostly due to fundraising.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 24, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »
RCP is included in 538's "Deluxe" forecast, which has a lower chance than the standard forecast.  The standard forecast is higher than polling mostly due to fundraising.

Seems like a rather nebulous criteria.  The correlation between fundraising and House election results is skewed by the 2008 election.  If you remove that one election, there is no correlation between the two.  The two worst fundraising years for the Democrats were 1998 (43%) and 2012 (44%), yet the gained 4 and 8 seats respectively in those two elections.  The worst year for the Democrats was the 2010 election, where they lost 64 seats despite being outspend only 52%-48%.  I am not saying that the fundraising will not have an effect.  Rather, I think it already has, and is manifested into the polling data.

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 24, 2018, 06:55:31 PM »
Fundraising isn't the only proxy being used for the forecast, it's just the one that has the biggest effect across all races.  Incumbency, district partisanship, and the generic ballot are also influential. The issue with only looking at polling is many close races have had very few/poorly rated polls, or no polls at all.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: October 24, 2018, 10:38:14 PM »
We may very well witness the same thing that happened in 2106; conservatives told pollsters that they would not vote for the Republican, but in the end, did so.  The polls started inched red-ward near the end of October, and appear to be following suit this year.  I think the polls may be over estimating Democratic support, and fund raising numbers may be doing the same.  This is part a gut feeling, but it looks eerily similar.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 25, 2018, 08:45:25 AM »
We may very well witness the same thing that happened in 2106; conservatives told pollsters that they would not vote for the Republican, but in the end, did so.  The polls started inched red-ward near the end of October, and appear to be following suit this year.  I think the polls may be over estimating Democratic support, and fund raising numbers may be doing the same.  This is part a gut feeling, but it looks eerily similar.

Since I travel in "trumpistan" circles I do hear the narrative of not answering polls or giving false information to make the "November Surprise" as enjoyable as 2016 election night. Also in general it seems many- especially in the more swing counties- tend to keep their politics to themselves as far as Trump support.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 25, 2018, 02:21:39 PM »
Looks like, as of now, the VERY SLIM chance that the Dems could take back the Senate, goes through Nevada and Tennessee.  The Dems can’t let Nevada “slip away”, and they would have to squeak out a win in red Tennessee, AND manage to win all the other close races in Montana, Indiana, Arizona, and Florida (assuming that North Dakota is already lost).

Clearly, they are “drawing to an inside straight” and the chances are very slim .....

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 25, 2018, 02:34:52 PM »
The midterm elections (& controlling the House) are the best opportunity to blunt Team Trump's hateful rhetoric:

Title: "Trump blames "hateful" fake news for societal anger"

https://www.axios.com/trump-tweets-fake-news-societal-anger-b93405c6-be23-441d-80eb-973f419d3e3c.html

Extract: "President Trump placed "a very big part" of the blame for the "Anger we see today in our society" on the news media and its "Fake News" reporting in a Thursday tweet — one day after pipe bombs were sent to prominent Democrats around the country.
"A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News. It has gotten so bad and hateful that it is beyond description. Mainstream Media must clean up its act, FAST!"
"
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 25, 2018, 02:41:44 PM »
For those who did not trust the Washington Examiner story on this matter, following is a link to a Newsweek article where Carl Bernstein (one of the heroes of the Watergate investigation) says that Trump may call the 2018 midterm elections 'illegitimate' should the Democrats take control of Congress:

Title: "Donald Trump May Call 2018 Election 'Illegitimate' Should Democrats Take Control of Congress, Carl Bernstein Says"

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-2018-election-illegitimate-democrats-take-control-congress-carl-1181683

Extract: "Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist Carl Bernstein said over the weekend that should Democrats win control of Congress in a close election, President Donald Trump might move to challenge the legitimacy of the 2018 midterms.

Bernstein made the comments in an interview on CNN's Reliable Sources on Sunday that focused largely on Trump uses "untruth" as a political strategy.

"I talked to people...in touch with the White House on Friday who believe that if the congressional midterms are very close and the Democrats were to win by five or seven seats, that Trump was already talking about how to throw legal challenges into the courts, sow confusion, declare a victory, actually, and say that the election's been illegitimate," Bernstein told host Brian Stelter. "That is really under discussion in the White House.""
― Leon C. Megginson

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 25, 2018, 05:04:57 PM »

Just a reminder, Clinton outspent Trump 65% - 35%.

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 25, 2018, 09:10:24 PM »
Just a reminder, Clinton outspent Trump 65% - 35%.
Indeed, although Trump outraised Clinton 65% - 35% in small donations.  Fundraising isn't being used because it's perfect.  It's used in House races because it's one of the only data points available. 

With 435 separate House races every other year — plus races for each of the 100 Senate seats once every six years and each of the 50 governorships at least once every four years — it’s possible to make robust empirical assessments of which factors really predict congressional and gubernatorial races well and which ones don’t. Nonetheless, our models default toward using polling once there’s a lot of high-quality polling in a particular state or district.

In competitive House districts with incumbents, the following factors have historically best predicted election results, in roughly declining order of importance:
  • The incumbent’s margin of victory in his or her previous election, adjusted for the national political environment and whom the candidate was running against in the prior election.
  • The generic congressional ballot.
  • Fundraising, based on the share of individual contributions for the incumbent and the challenger as of the most recent filing period.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 26, 2018, 01:03:27 AM »
The linked article (& graph) indicate that one reason that a big blue wave may happen on Nov 6, is that the Democrats are fielding many more challengers than they typically field:

Title: "This number is why a major Democratic wave is still possible"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/25/politics/house-2018-midterm-election/index.html

Extract: "It's no accident that, as Malbin notes, two of the most recent wave elections had a common denominator: The party that gained a large number of seats fielded challengers almost everywhere. Again, Malbin: "In the Democratic wave election of 2006, Democrats contested all but 22 of the GOP-held House seats. In the Republican wave election of 2010, the GOP contested all but 24 of the Democratic incumbents.""
― Leon C. Megginson

colchonero

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #533 on: October 26, 2018, 01:45:10 AM »
The early voting numbers are looking surprisingly good at least for now.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 26, 2018, 08:22:29 AM »
For gop.

Pmt111500

« Reply #535 on: October 26, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
It looks like the republican party supports mail bombings. This might influence the results of elections.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 26, 2018, 12:59:16 PM »
It looks like the republican party supports mail bombings. This might influence the results of elections.
I do not feel this is any more true than that the Democratic party supported the unabomber.  Hard to say who is behind all this, as none have detonated - they may just be a scare tactic.  I suspect this is just a deranged individual, who believes he has some sort of mandate.  If your contention were to be true, then they deserve a heavy beating.

Pmt111500

« Reply #537 on: October 26, 2018, 01:59:55 PM »
I do not feel this is any more true than that the Democratic party supported the unabomber.  Hard to say who is behind all this, as none have detonated - they may just be a scare tactic.  I suspect this is just a deranged individual, who believes he has some sort of mandate.  If your contention were to be true, then they deserve a heavy beating.
Well their leader calls the recipients of these packages filled with explosives his enemies. Maybe some republican has wanted to dona favor for their leader.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 26, 2018, 06:04:57 PM »
Well their leader calls the recipients of these packages filled with explosives his enemies. Maybe some republican has wanted to dona favor for their leader.

Is that any different from Hillary Clinton stating the the Republicans are her enemies? 

colchonero

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 26, 2018, 07:47:22 PM »
For gop.

Yeah.
I hope we will gain some seats in the Senate, and somehow (although I don't see it, to be fair) miraculously keep the house.  But at least not lose majority in the Senate.

Pmt111500

« Reply #540 on: October 26, 2018, 08:16:53 PM »

Is that any different from Hillary Clinton stating the the Republicans are her enemies?
Republicans haven't had bombs delivered to their doors.

Now that I checked news, the suspect is a republican, typical.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 08:33:54 PM by Pmt111500 »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 26, 2018, 08:44:44 PM »
Donnie is starting to get a “little worried” about the state of Florida.  There are 3 important races in Florida:

(1). Governor
(2). State Attorney General
(3). Senator

And to Donnie ..... THAT is the order of importance as well.  All 3 races are close ... and EITHER side could win all 3 .... or they could be split.  But if the Republicans were to lose the top two .... Donnie becomes fair game to go after on several different fronts by the state of Florida.  Donnie does NOT want that to happen, which is why he has shuffled his schedule to make two more swings into Florida.

Donnie certainly doesn’t want his racist friend Ron Desantis to lose the Governorship race, and if Rick Scott were to lose in the senate, it could keep the Dem’s SLIM chance of winning the senate alive.

Pmt111500

« Reply #542 on: October 26, 2018, 09:47:25 PM »
I've never heard of the local Florida politicians recieving these letters, others are known also here.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 27, 2018, 03:03:44 AM »
Speaking of Florida politicians .... I saw a couple clips of the second Florida Governors debate between Desantis and Gillum.  I NEVER want to play poker against Gillum (D).  In fact, I probably wouldn’t want to play ANYTHING against Gillum.  He is smart, quick witted, brutal, AND smooth all at the same time. 😱

After Gillum listed off a few instances of Ron DeSantis’ interactions with racists, and getting campaign donations from a racist and not returning the money, here is what Gillum said.

“I’m not calling Mr. Desantis a racist.  All I’m saying is the racists think he is a racist.”

BOOM.  Knock out.

Pmt111500

« Reply #544 on: October 27, 2018, 08:11:14 PM »
Ah, some Bannon's friend (Bannon was and possibly still is Trump's friend, u know it's all a show) has shot 8 people in a Synagogue. Wouldn't be surprised if they found out he's a republican.

colchonero

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 27, 2018, 10:37:03 PM »
Ah, some Bannon's friend (Bannon was and possibly still is Trump's friend, u know it's all a show) has shot 8 people in a Synagogue. Wouldn't be surprised if they found out he's a republican.

No comment on this one really. >:( :( :'(

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 28, 2018, 07:37:02 AM »

He was basically a NAZI, and didn't like Trump- Don't forget Trump likes Jews and Israel and makes sure people know that in almost every Rally- and people chear.

There is a lot in common between very far LEFT People like Farrakhan and far right (Nazis? Nazis were socialists) considering the Jews.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 28, 2018, 04:57:15 PM »
On Nov 6th, vote as if people's lives (& possibly your own life) depend(s) on it:
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 28, 2018, 05:17:28 PM »
Latino voters have learned that Trump's introduction of recalcitrant nativism into GOP politics does not bode well for their futures and they are going to add to the coming blue wave in the midterm elections:

Title: "Latino Voters Are Tuning In — and Turning Blue"

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/10/2018-midterm-polls-latino-voters-turnout-support-for-democrats-rising.html

Extract: "In 2016, the Latino backlash to Donald Trump was the other shoe that never dropped.

But now — less than two weeks before the midterm ballots are tallied — there are growing signs that the GOP might finally pay a price for its Faustian bargain with Trumpian bigotry."
― Leon C. Megginson

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 28, 2018, 05:25:14 PM »
Latino voters have learned that Trump's introduction of recalcitrant nativism into GOP politics does not bode well for their futures and they are going to add to the coming blue wave in the midterm elections:

Title: "Latino Voters Are Tuning In — and Turning Blue"

Once again I'll use the most harsh word I ever use online. Delusional. There is no Blue wave.