Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Merry Christmas everyone.  (Read 2859 times)

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 386
  • Likes Given: 22
Merry Christmas everyone.
« on: December 25, 2020, 10:57:37 AM »
Hope you all have a great day wherever you are and whoever you are with.

Covid killed our family Christmas so we are making the best of it.

I thought I'd put it here rather than having one in every thread.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
Re: Merry Christmas everyone.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 11:33:00 AM »
Happy Ho-Ho!
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 05:03:06 PM »
Best wishes.

We just moved X-Mas by 3 months. With some luck we will have nice sunny weather. I always envied ´Aussie Xmas´. A friend who traveled there showed the pictures. A X-mas palm and  christmas hats on the beach.  :)
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 06:28:48 PM »
As I enjoyed the yearly family gatherings giving of gifts and toasting the year I was acutely aware
that for many around the world that bloody virus has crimped your season.
May the next season be as free of the curse as it is here and  your traditional Christmases return.

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 149
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 12:21:40 AM »
Merry Christmas everyone.  We were fortunate due to a combination of vaccinations and negative tests to have everyone together.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 02:59:51 AM »
Our Christmas was different:  We cooked for each other (2 of our kids, separately, and us) and exchanged containers for eating later.  A pair and a trio (including partners) visited for 1/2 hour spells, all always masked (one set with a porch screen between us and jackets on).  It felt Christmasy as we had a slight frost this morning (2/10 of a degree F!), colder tonight.

I remember my 1972 Christmas in Sydney.  They were having a hot spell (40C).  Bondi Beach was beautiful, but the sand was too hot to stand on and a shark kept us on the shore...  Christmas dinner (made by Aussies) was 'everything we were used to, only cold'.

One Christmas in NZ I hitch hiked from Dunedin northwards.  I hoped to get to Christchurch, but went way further.  Lots of mostly short rides (14, IIRC) and seldom even 5 minutes between them. Nobody, it seemed, wanted to leave a stranger on the road. The first ride was from a nurse taking presents to patients at the mental health hospital just north of town and the last was with a family coming from Dinner (capital "D") with the wife's family and headed for Dinner with the husband's.  That man sure did talk, and he described every dish they'd had and the specialties he was looking forward to.  (Wife and 2 kids were silent.)  I never told anybody that day that I was fasting; it was easy to be with my hosts in their various styles of joy and thanksgiving.  It was a truly blessed day for me!  It ended 'early' as I was left off at a totally rural highway intersection, and I decided to stop.  Beside the road was a copse of trees in which I camped, and a large stream/small river, cobble-bedded.  I meditated in the stream (seated, with water up to my mid-chest) for an hour or so, during that sunny endless summer evening.

I know, it's Boxing Day now for most of you!

Find (and share) the blessings,
Tor
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 07:20:50 AM »
Merry Christmas all. ;D
The spirit of Christmas is giving to others but not always things and not always to people you know. Think random acts of kindness. Call people and tell them how much you appreciate them.

Hefaistos

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 01:58:00 PM »
Greetings from Herod too.

https://www.alexcartoon.com/index.cfm