Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Unsorted  (Read 13362 times)

nanning

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 2100
Re: Unsorted
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2019, 04:18:52 PM »
I feel for you gerontocrat and DrTskoul. An imaginary warm hug from me.

Terry, I also have had clinical depression. No more though. Now I understand myself. Let's say I was lucky.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly"

TerryM

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
I might have been to hard with you vs Terry, Gero but I saw the comments together and I saw red. My wife has had chronic pain for a decade due to back injury and is treated like a junkie by the doctors because she complains about being in severe pain. And you hear comments from people to essentially suck it up and it’s not that bad.  When pain and depression depend on the individual’s biochemistry!!

I apologize..

No need.
I screwed up my back ~50 years ago and when it hurts the pain is barely bearable - opioids rule.

Clinical depressions started before I was out of my teens & I've since spoken to everyone I knew who had similar experiences. Those that ended by choosing suicide had also chosen anti-depressants, hence my avoidance of the same.

My wife also suffers from depression, though so far we've never had overlapping incidents. She took what was prescribed for ~ one year, gained damn near 100 pounds and got off the stuff. Can you imagine prescribing a pill that causes rapid weight gain to a depressed female?
Her weight's back to normal & she won't even consider another pill, although she finds help with therapists and in group therapy.

If I had anything good to say about anti-depressants I'd say so. I'ts not so much a question of "sucking it up", as coming to the conclusion that the risks far outweigh the benefits.

Cheers
Terry

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2019, 11:45:03 PM »
I might have been to hard with you vs Terry, Gero but I saw the comments together and I saw red. My wife has had chronic pain for a decade due to back injury and is treated like a junkie by the doctors because she complains about being in severe pain. And you hear comments from people to essentially suck it up and it’s not that bad.  When pain and depression depend on the individual’s biochemistry!!

I apologize..
As the Scots might say "Dinna Fash".

I was having one of those days with yuck thoughts invading the brain, so reacted badly myself.

But an hour or so ago I found some new data from GRACE-FO in a format I could read.
Such a silly little thing really, but lifted the mood. Grains are weird.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 280
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2019, 03:19:36 AM »
Related to https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2346.msg211086.html#msg211086

After a Human Shooting, Florida Tempers Its Advice On Hunting Invasive Iguanas
https://qz.com/1676561/florida-tempers-advice-on-hunting-invasive-iguanas/amp/

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC) wishes to inform state residents that they can kill green iguanas, which are not a native species, but they can’t go around shooting the creatures willy-nilly.

... Now that a human has been shot in one resident’s quest to get rid of iguanas, the FWC is being more explicit, however. “If you are not capable of safely removing iguanas from your property, please seek assistance from professionals who do this for a living,” said FWC commissioner Rodney Barreto in the most recent statement.

On July 5, an iguana hunter armed with a pellet gun accidentally shot a swimming pool maintenance worker in a residential neighborhood of Boca Raton. E-Lyn Bryan heard a shout and saw blood squirting from a wound sustained by her “pool guy.” She told NBC 6 in south Florida, “We have iguanas everywhere. If neighbors are gonna be like the Wild West and shoot at everything, someone’s gonna get killed.”

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 03:27:53 AM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

blumenkraft

• Frazil ice
  • Fans of Hans Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2019, 04:25:23 PM »
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”

nanning

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2019, 06:51:47 PM »
A thought, a view:
The trend in cost-cutting, where companies go far beyond moral limits, says there are no limits. The management of fossil fuel companies, agri-business, gene-editing companies, earlier the tobacco business, mining, silicon valley etc. are metaphorically morally speaking in the deepest pit of hell but they are champions there! They think they are really successful. They have a lot of possessions and status but they destroy all life. With cooperation from many of the politicians (corruption).

As an analogy: In "The Neverending Story" they are "the Nothing". Ending the story (of humans).

It is total insanity and these are smart people.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly"

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2019, 11:01:24 PM »
For those who get tired of killing iguanas ...

The War On Pythons: Florida Gov. DeSantis Steps Up the Fight
https://phys.org/news/2019-08-war-pythons-florida-gov-desantis.html

Gov. Ron DeSantis said the state has worked out a plan with the federal government to allow hunters greater access to Big Cypress National Preserve in the western Everglades. He said state agencies have agreed on a plan to fight the pythons in state parks and are working with local governments to remove them from locally owned land. And he said there will be annual Python Challenge contests to catch the most pythons.

--------------------

See also: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whacking_Day

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2019, 12:41:48 PM »
There have been an attempt or two recently to bend this forum to a more climate activist stance. Fortunately, IMHO, failed.

A recent post on SkepticalScience says there are at least 175 US-based organisations doing the the climate change activism thing. and here are the links.

The choice is yours - if you want one.

https://skepticalscience.com/2019-SkS-Weekly-News-Roundup_29.html   
2019 SkS Weekly Climate Change & Global Warming News Roundup #29
Posted on 20 July 2019 by John Hartz
A Climate Action for Every Type of Activist
No matter your age, gender, race, or political ideology, there are ways to fight climate change that fit your life and values.

The U.S. Climate Action Network lists more than 175 member organizations, which are activist groups working through energy policy to fight climate change. And that doesn’t include all of the environmental groups out there. So you have lots of options for getting involved.

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2019, 05:22:43 PM »
Chicago Water Pollution Keeping Invasive Silver Carp Out of Great Lakes
https://phys.org/news/2019-08-chicago-pollution-invasive-silver-carp.html

Invasive silver carp have been moving north toward the Great Lakes since their accidental release in the 1970s. The large filter-feeding fish, which are known to jump from the water and wallop anglers, threaten aquatic food webs as well as the $7 billion Great Lakes fishery. But, for the past decade, the invading front hasn't moved past Kankakee. A new study, led by scientists at the University of Illinois, suggests that Chicago's water pollution may be a contributing to this lack of upstream movement.

"It's a really toxic soup coming down from the Chicago Area Waterway, but a lot of those chemicals go away near Kankakee. They might degrade or settle out, or the Kankakee River might dilute them. We don't really know what happens, but there's a stark change in water quality at that point. That's right where the invading front stops," says Cory Suski, associate professor in the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences and co-author of the study. "And this fish never stops for anything."

... "We saw huge differences in gene expression patterns between the Kankakee fish and the two downstream populations," Suski explains. "Fish near Kankakee were turning on genes associated with clearing out toxins and turning off genes related to DNA repair and protective measures. Basically, their livers are working overtime and detoxifying pathways are extremely active, which seem to be occurring at the cost of their own repair mechanisms. We didn't see that in either of the downstream populations." 

... Right now, it's a black box—the USGS study documented approximately 280 chemicals in the Chicago Area Waterway and downstream sites.

Regardless of which specific pollutants may be responsible for stopping silver carp—if that hypothesis is later proven—the results could have interesting implications for management.

Jennifer D. Jeffrey et al, Physiological status of silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix) in the Illinois River: An assessment of fish at the leading edge of the invasion front, Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part D: Genomics and Proteomics (2019)

vox_mundi

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2019, 03:06:49 AM »
Karma's a bitch ...

Angry Mob Attacks Men for Killing an Endangered Bird in Germany
https://m.dw.com/en/angry-mob-attacks-men-for-killing-an-endangered-bird-in-germany/a-49988190

... Two German men allegedly beat a rare capercaillie to death with a bottle on Saturday afternoon, while making their way home from a party, police in the town of Titisee-Neustadt said on Sunday. The men said the bird had threatened them and they merely defended themselves.

... Onlookers, however, were enraged and attacked the men, according to a report released by the police. The angry crowd beat the suspected bird killers and poured beer over them, before detaining the two until police arrived.

... The capercaillie is at risk of extinction in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.

Encounters with humans are not uncommon in hilly regions where the birds live and the males are known to be very territorial.

----------------------

Sounds like wild turkeys in our area.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 175
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2019, 03:13:22 AM »
And the bitch hurts.... good beating....

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2019, 03:19:16 AM »
 ??? :D For once I agree with the mob. The bird threatened them -- doucebags!

kassy

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 104
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2019, 07:36:30 PM »
Some people don´t breathe but just steal oxygen.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

kassy

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 104
  • Likes Given: 212
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2019, 10:34:24 AM »
Organic Apples Host Beneficial Bacteria

Research recently published in Frontiers in Microbiology found that organic and conventional store-bought apples are more different than you might think. There are noticeable differences in size and taste between the two, but they also house very different populations of microorganisms: something that has the potential to influence your health.

Both organic and conventional store-bought apples, at a 240-gram weight, were estimated to feature roughly 100-million bacteria. They are everywhere—the skin, pulp, and seeds. The difference—which was stark—was the type of organisms they found.

The organic apples had a much more distinct and diverse microbial population than conventionally grown apples. Researchers said harmful bacteria was found in conventional apples. However, none were found in organic varieties. Further, organic apples were high in healthful, probiotic microorganisms and were absent in conventional apples.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/organic-apples-host-beneficial-bacteria_3035557.html
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

nanning

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2019, 11:06:39 AM »
Thank you for the eye-opener kassy. Very interesting and significant I think.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »
Thank you for the eye-opener kassy. Very interesting and significant I think.

Indeed.  I tend to be mildly skeptical of purported health benefits of "organic" produce.  But this sounds persuasive, at least for apples.  So I tracked down the actual research article.

An Apple a Day: Which Bacteria Do We Eat With Organic and Conventional Apples?
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2019.01629/full

Strictly speaking, they only studied "the cultivar “Arlet” was selected. Both the organically and the conventionally produced apples were cultivated in Styria (Austria) under AMAG.A.P. Certification."

So Neven can personally benefit with confidence.  The rest of us can reasonably rely on the findings likely being generalizable to other cultivars.  I am still skeptical, however, that US "organic" designation is comparable to the Austrian definition.

nanning

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2019, 06:31:29 PM »
I don't know the quality control in the U.S.A. of organic produce, but it is hard to deny the positives of having your produce not sprayed with Monsanto chemicals.

FrostKing70

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2019, 07:49:39 PM »
I think I will buy some apple trees for the back yard!