Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Unsorted  (Read 87186 times)

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
Re: Unsorted
« Reply #250 on: December 19, 2019, 07:35:39 PM »
These young people have acquired an indelible connection with nature.

Beekeepers traumatised and counselled after hearing animals screaming in pain after bushfires

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-20/beekeepers-traumatised-by-screaming-animals-after-bushfires/11721756
  by By Kerrin Thomas , Michael Cavanagh and Kim Honan

Beekeepers checking on hives are some of the first people into fire-ravaged forests, and are not prepared for the traumatic sights and sounds of wounded and suffering animals.

"It's doing their heads in, the screaming animals, the animals that are in pain, that are crying out in the forest, it's absolutely horrific," Mr Targett said.

One beekeeper employs some young people and it has really traumatised them.

"So the beekeeper has arranged counselling for these young beekeepers who went into the forest and he won't allow them back into the forest for a period of time."

"The fires were that hot in places that some beekeepers, who have a fairly good understanding of their local bush, don't believe those trees will be flowering or producing nectar and pollen for the bees for at least 20 years and in some cases they don't believe it'll be in their lifetime," he said.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #251 on: December 22, 2019, 01:15:36 PM »
Just in case you did not notice, the Winter Solstice was at 4:19 a.m. GMT on 22nd December, i.e. today.

There is a rumour that down south they had a summer solstice at the same time, but I think it's a fairy tale.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/dec/22/druids-and-dancers-gather-at-stonehenge-to-mark-winter-solstice
Druids and dancers gather at Stonehenge to mark winter solstice
Crowds brave the Wiltshire cold to watch the sun rise after the longest night of the year

The solstice marks the symbolic death and rebirth of the sun, and begins the gradual lengthening of days and shortening of nights.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

blumenkraft

« Reply #252 on: December 22, 2019, 01:22:24 PM »
So, how does one become a druid? I think i want that.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 22, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »
Are you sure? It's very cold there outside and it may even rain. A druid is outside a lot. You may want to reconsider blum ;D
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

blumenkraft

« Reply #254 on: December 22, 2019, 04:40:40 PM »
Wait, sure one can't just druid from home?

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 22, 2019, 05:27:28 PM »
I don't think central heating is part of the druid package.

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druid#Societal_role_and_training

Druidic lore consisted of a large number of verses learned by heart, and Caesar remarked that it could take up to twenty years to complete the course of study. What was taught to druid novices anywhere is conjecture: of the druids' oral literature, not one certifiably ancient verse is known to have survived, even in translation.[citation needed] All instruction was communicated orally

Greek and Roman writers frequently made reference to the druids as practitioners of human sacrifice.[23] According to Caesar, those who had been found guilty of theft or other criminal offences were considered preferable for use as sacrificial victims, but when criminals were in short supply, innocents would be acceptable. A form of sacrifice recorded by Caesar was the burning alive of victims in a large wooden effigy,

blumenkraft

« Reply #256 on: December 22, 2019, 05:34:56 PM »
OK, drop that druid thingy. Lost me at "human sacrifice".

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #257 on: December 22, 2019, 10:32:58 PM »
India is fighting a losing war against poachers who kill huge numbers of mongooses to obtain their hair for...
making artist paintbrushes.
This is actually threatening the population of the species.
Meanwhile, conservationists are fighting a losing battle to keep down the population of mongooses on a number of islands where they are pests.
Maybe I am too stupid to think right about this, but why can't we put a bounty on nonnative island mongooses to get the hair for the paintbrushes, and take the pressure off their native range?

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #258 on: December 23, 2019, 12:30:27 AM »
Re: a large number of verses learned by heart

sorta like Brahmin priests and the Vedas

sidd

johnm33

« Reply #259 on: December 23, 2019, 11:23:44 PM »
Iirc it was Gurdgieff who introduced me to the idea that the long verse narratives that were plied as a trade by professional storytellers were actually a means of transmitting huge amounts of information through the generations without the storyteller having to know what he was transmitting. I sort of got it but 'Homers secret Iliad' demonstrated that i really hadn't, my guess is that 'Homer' was the joint work of the enslaved Troian bards preserving their culture and history for posterity, so perhaps as close as anything to a western tradition of 'Druidism' we have.
Here's Ceasars take on the Druids and a critique that seems even handed to me, from the Barddas.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 24, 2019, 11:29:58 AM »
Some nice personal Christmas experiences:

A couple of days ago a kind man gave me a professional warm coat + hat from his previous work at farms. Much appreciated.
Also a couple of days ago a friendly couple invited me at their house for Boxing Day in the afternoon.
House is warm: 17C now. Thanks neighbours :)
This morning I solved a 13* sudoku puzzle (Denksport) without making notes.

Thank god I don't have to spend time with my family (they look down on me for being poor and treat me like shit).

I wish all forum friends a warm, intimate and meaningful Christmas.

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #261 on: December 24, 2019, 11:40:00 AM »
The same for you, nanning, and for the rest of members and readers!!!
From this neck of the woods.

(nanning, have you seen this thread?
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1677.0.html

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 24, 2019, 03:59:39 PM »
Thanks for the link to that thread dear Doubtlover, interesting :).
Kept the solar panels free of snow I see :) Nice winter scene over there. Not so much over here. I've just sat for almost 4 hours in 7C in the rain.
Enjoy your holiday.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #263 on: December 24, 2019, 04:27:14 PM »
They've either spent a fortune on insulation, or the water pipes have frozen and burst.
It looks idyllic, but uninhabitable/uninhabited.

Terry

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 24, 2019, 09:12:43 PM »
Well, Terry, that's my home, where I live all year around.
Didn't expend a penny in insulation, it has very old 1m think rock walls. Only two little windows with single glass and wood cover. The roof has a wavy thin old protection for the water, the tiles on top and a wooden false ceiling where some families of dormice live without paying any rent.
The temperature now in winter inside the  house moves between 10-14°C, now with the fireplace on, in the evening I keep it around 16°C for two or three hours. The bathroom is in the little shed without any heating, the temperature there stays between 5-10°C. You get use to it. It's not painful ;)
The snow doesn't stay for many days, but comes frequently. But yes I have to keep the PVs clean, the sun has been very rare companion the last two months.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 24, 2019, 09:26:08 PM »
My bad!
I saw the snow on the chimneys & the roof and assumed it was boarded up.

We've a few buildings that I can see from here where some snow has accumulated on the roof, but with most it's gone in a day.

Beautiful location!

Post a photo when the buildings are visible.
Terry

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 24, 2019, 09:45:22 PM »
We've a few buildings that I can see from here where some snow has accumulated on the roof, but with most it's gone in a day.
Terry
Snow on roofs is the easiest way to see who's got good roof insulation and who has not. In a cool / cold climate roof insulation is probably the easiest and cheapest home energy saving measure.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 25, 2019, 06:37:28 AM »
Re: chimney

A TIP!
When outside in the cold, your neck/head opening in your clothes functions as a chimney. There you are venting your body warmth.
A very effective and cheap way to stay warm is to wear a separate winter collar. I wear those with the rear side pulled up high onto my bald spot, and then put a hat with ear flaps over it. When I've visited the supermarket in that outfit, almost always am I sweating from the excess heat that can't escape my body.
I think that most people won't wear that because they think it looks silly.
By the way, I never wear sunglasses or somesuch. My eyes are okay, I don't need glasses and I like to see other people's eyes. In the old days nobody had sunglasses.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #268 on: December 25, 2019, 07:22:06 AM »
turtleneck weater, and hooded sweatshirt or jacket seems to do it for me. But when it hits 0F and below, with the wind howling, then i really need the big hat with earmuffs, big insulation on gloves and shoes, greatcoat, scarf and all the rest of it, especially the underlayers.

Also depends on how much subcutaneous fat you got and if you are chopping wood or standing around.

This is a ridiculously warm xmas in OH and western PA. Cant remember one this warm since the late 80's.

sidd
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 07:28:35 AM by sidd »

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 25, 2019, 10:39:26 AM »
Terry, this is another photo trying to imitate the other one, but taken this morning with no snow.
Being in the north of Spain we don't suffer from long periods under 0°C, but staying just over is frequent.
I don't cut trees for wood. Only use broken ones. A beautiful old, big, beech did fall a week ago and with this new delicious spring weather I'm up to chop it for winter next year. Last week I was searching wolves in the snow storm and today is going to be sweating with no clothes on top. Crazy weather.
Happy xmas for u all

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #270 on: December 25, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
Snow on roofs is the easiest way to see who's got good roof insulation and who has not. In a cool / cold climate roof insulation is probably the easiest and cheapest home energy saving measure.

Last time when we had a meaningful amount of snow in the netherlands they flew around in helicopters. Some roofs had no snow because they had a rather large energy output because they had weed farms in the attic. Most of them did not make it to the end of that winter.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 26, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »
Aporia
Your home is stunningly beautiful.

Clay tile roofs are few and far between here in Canada, but in Southern California almost all of the old buildings utilized "Mission style" or "Nun & Monk" tiles molded against the thigh of the potter. Mass produced interlocking S shaped tiles have largely replaced these, but century + old examples still keep the rain out.

When a Basque whaling port was discovered in Labrador, it was the remains of the aged red clay roofing tiles that gave the location away at Red Bay. This site has been dated to as early as 1530.

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/top-destinations/red-bay

A layer of fireproofed, rodent and insect repellent cellulose insolation can be blown in over a weekend & might save a bit of fuel without disturbing any of the living area. Rough on the mice, but could raise the temperature without requiring additional windfall fuel.

The buildings appear ready to serve for generations. Congratulations! and thanks for the photos.
Terry

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 26, 2019, 09:03:04 PM »
Thanks to you Terry, also for the link.
The big building is 5x5m inside and it was a barn, the small one is actually where people stayed seasonally. In the sixties the barn was transformed into the house and the small one used as warehouse and bathroom. After the reforms it was only used during weekends. I came in three years ago. Installed the PVs and brought a washing machine and a fridge.

About the insulation, thanks again, but I'm staying like this. I have to think any expense and the dormice are not a problem. I heard lots of terrible stories about them being a pest. The way the roof is, allows them to have their room without making any mess. Well, they are very noisy in June, July looking for a partner and you can hear them on top of your head rattling wile running at night. But they spend winter hibernating. And they were here before me.Sending a photo of one of them, hanging on one of the wooden beams. I feel very lucky for being able to share my home with such a wild animal. This is in a Natural Park and it's wildlife is a treasure that constantly amaze me.
https://www.turismoasturias.es/en/descubre/naturaleza/reservas-de-la-biosfera/parque-natural-de-redes
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 09:32:05 PM by Aporia_filia »

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
« Reply #274 on: January 20, 2020, 06:13:06 PM »
Sadhguru @SadhguruJV ·3h ago
Back in Davos after a decade for #WEF20. We are at an inflection point in the history of our planet. The time for concerted Action is now; scripting an economic and ecologic destiny that is Conscious & #Inclusive. -Sg #Davos2020 @wef

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 22, 2020, 09:24:29 PM »
Sadhguru @SadhguruJV ·3h ago
Back in Davos after a decade for #WEF20. We are at an inflection point in the history of our planet. The time for concerted Action is now; scripting an economic and ecologic destiny that is Conscious & #Inclusive. -Sg #Davos2020 @wef

ivica

Was a [Sarc] implied?
Terry

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 22, 2020, 10:13:20 PM »
TerryM, not in my interpretation.
https://twitter.com/SadhguruJV/status/1219253766911754241
No 2 of us are the same so some might disagree, it is ok for me.

Conscious & Inclusive

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 23, 2020, 07:03:01 AM »
ivica, "scripting an ecological destiny" is a statement/purpose that, in my view, stinks of human-supremacy-over-all-other-life. That is not inclusive at all because 99.999999% of other lifeforms are not involved in that 'script'. That must and will stop.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #278 on: January 23, 2020, 10:34:21 AM »
nanning:
What will stop it? It’s been going on for at least six thousand years. It may take an extinction bigger than the Permian to stop it.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 23, 2020, 10:35:07 AM »
nanning, boring as repetition is but we have to refresh memory sometime:  Arctic Café 2019-09-18 UNCCD COP14.

Planet is here to support us, this is a platform upon which we live and this platform has to be ideal for life.
When I say life - all life, you cannot make it in such a way that this works only for human beings not others.
Every creature has to live, they are far more important for maintaining the balance in this planet than human beings,
Without human beings the planet will do very well, so all life here has a life of its own, they are not here to serve us.

These are the things that need to get across to the humanity. Thank you very much.

Inclusive Consciousness

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 23, 2020, 11:44:25 AM »
Tom, it has been going on since civilisation started 10000 years ago.
It will stop when civilisation collapses. As will antropogenic emissions, deforestation etc.

ivica, you haven't responded to my statements (supremacy, other lifeforms, 'script').

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 23, 2020, 12:02:01 PM »
ivica, you haven't responded to my statements (supremacy, other lifeforms, 'script').

I did my best in #279, but, nanning, your perception and interpretation of it differs, i see no need to continue, take care. :)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #282 on: January 23, 2020, 03:43:57 PM »
Lets not destroy it all is also scripting ecological destiny.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 23, 2020, 05:05:44 PM »
"Lets not destroy it all"
Yes indeed kassy, that's what all other lifeforms and non-civilisation human cultures are doing (i.e. not destroying all). In other words: All life on Earth, apart from civilisation, has been enveloped in that. It is called an ecosystem.

That is what is meant by INCLUSIVE if I'm correct; all life included.

And "conscious & inclusive" is what is in ivica's bottom text of that post. Since I explained upthread why that 'script' thing means NON-INCLUSIVE, I expected ivica to give a reaction to that apparent inconsistancy. I didn't get one.

edit: added conscious & inclusive
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 05:13:47 PM by nanning »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #284 on: January 23, 2020, 08:02:06 PM »
that's what all other lifeforms and non-civilisation human cultures are doing (i.e. not destroying all).
Because they lack/lacked the means. If they could have, they would have.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 24, 2020, 07:17:52 AM »
^^
No agumentation Tom. Just bias and feeling in my view.

The powerful civilisation bias: Explain it away as if all humans are like those from unnatural and insane civilisation.

Empirical evidence of e.g. Aboriginal tribes and San tribes disproves your civilisation-bias statement. Now you have to conclude as well that those tribes were not smart enough? Stupid? Think it through and you'll become stuck which means that it's a wrong assumption.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #286 on: January 24, 2020, 07:28:16 AM »
The Kua also have very relevant insights to offer.

E.g. did you know that the giraffes are the midwives of the Acacia tree?
https://medium.com/@helgavierich/i-have-rarely-seen-you-use-an-exclamation-mark-e254aa0dcb60
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #287 on: January 24, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »
^^
No agumentation Tom. Just bias and feeling in my view.

The powerful civilisation bias: Explain it away as if all humans are like those from unnatural and insane civilisation.

Empirical evidence of e.g. Aboriginal tribes and San tribes disproves your civilisation-bias statement. Now you have to conclude as well that those tribes were not smart enough? Stupid? Think it through and you'll become stuck which means that it's a wrong assumption.

I don’t know about the Sans, but the Aboriginal tribes exterminated a number of Australia megafauna millennia ago.

EDIT:
Looking up San I see they are called Bushmen in English. This is quite interesting...their culture is the oldest in Africa and hence in the world. They would have co-evolved with the megafauna of Africa, as the animals learn to evade a bipedal predator. This may be why Africa has been relatively safe from extinction in contrast to the other regions of the world (until now, of course).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:49:38 AM by Tom_Mazanec »

blumenkraft

« Reply #288 on: January 24, 2020, 03:45:17 PM »
Italy? China? Seriously?? Whatever happened, Kiwis??

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 24, 2020, 04:09:00 PM »
Italy? China? Seriously?? Whatever happened, Kiwis??

The Kiwi fruit was developed by NZ from the Chinese Gooseberry.

NZ failed to copyright the name or anything else. Hence everybody else started growing and selling Kiwi fruit at a much lower price. I know this because my oldest brother nearly went bankrupt when the price he got from growing Kiwi dropped by 80%.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #290 on: January 24, 2020, 08:42:39 PM »
Genetically Engineered Virus Protects Mice Against Deadly Effects of Nerve Gas and Pesticides
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-01-genetically-virus-mice-deadly-effects.html

A single injection of a new gene therapy protected mice from the effects of sarin and other deadly chemical warfare agents for months, new work that could not only help defend soldiers and civilians in war zones.

... Some enzymes can seek out and break down nerve agents. Scientists experimented by inserting a gene that encodes such an enzyme into a virus not known to cause any disease. The researchers then injected the virus into mice. They found it completely protected the rodents from eight lethal doses of sarin and similar nerve agents with no sign of toxicity from this gene therapy, said study senior author Nageswararao Chilukuri, a biochemist at the at United States Army Medical Research Institute of Chemical Defense at the Aberdeen Proving Ground, in Maryland. This defense lasted for up to five months.

Venkaiah Betapudi et al. Gene therapy delivering a paraoxonase 1 variant offers long-term prophylactic protection against nerve agents in mice, Science Translational Medicine (2020).

--------------------------------------

Didn't Lord Blackwood use something like this to kill off Parliament in Sherlock Holmes (2009)? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes_(2009_film)#Plot
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 24, 2020, 09:01:58 PM »
^^
We certainly employed measles infected blankets in the genocide proudly remembered as "Manifest Destiny".

Suddenly Thermal Nuclear Warfare has lost its horror.
Terry

blumenkraft

« Reply #292 on: January 25, 2020, 07:11:08 PM »
Auschwitz liberation: Survivors look back

blumenkraft

« Reply #293 on: January 30, 2020, 11:06:57 AM »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 31, 2020, 10:24:37 PM »
Study Gets Up Close With Near-Death Experiences
https://techxplore.com/news/2020-01-near-death.html

Those who momentarily shuffled off this mortal coil returned with positive perceptions of what they discovered on the other side—a finding that encourages researchers to dig deeper into the ways people describe near-death experiences, according to a joint study between Western and the University of Liège (Belgium).

In their written testaments of the great beyond, individuals who had a near-death experience offered positive-toned words like "see" and "light" far more frequently than negative-toned ones like "fear" and "dead," according to the study. Researchers are celebrating this quantitative scientific proof that most people respond positively to near death experiences

The study, Characterization of near death experiences using text mining analyses: A preliminary study, was published today in the journal PLOS ONE.

Traditionally, near-death experiences are explored using standardized questionnaires like the Greyson scale, which includes queries like "Did you have a feeling of peace and pleasantness?" or "Did you feel separated from your body?" This is a potentially biased approach, which may skew recollections and subsequent discoveries.

"There is no bias with text mining, which is contrary to behavioral studies like Greyson scaling when individuals are asked specific questions," Soddu explained. "Text mining is completely unbiased. It is fully automatic and we, as researchers, don't make any assumptions."

In this study, researchers investigated 158 participants by analyzing first-person, text narratives shared by the individuals following their near-death experiences. This text mining model allows for unbiased evaluation and also provides valuable and measurable data like frequency and correlation of key words like "see," "light," "dead" and "fear."

Once the data was retrieved, the neuroscientists developed visual representations of the findings like graphs and dendrograms to illustrate the proximity of specific words as they relate to positive and negative connotations towards near-death experiences.

Open Access: Vanessa Charland-Verville et al. Characterization of near death experiences using text mining analyses: A preliminary study, PLOS ONE (2020)

https://www.nderf.org/Archives/exceptional.html
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 01, 2020, 12:20:38 AM »
Wreckage of Ship Tied to Bermuda Triangle Found Off Florida
https://phys.org/news/2020-01-wreckage-ship-tied-bermuda-triangle.html

Scientists have found the wreckage of a cargo steamship that became associated with the Bermuda Triangle when it disappeared in 1925 off the Atlantic Coast of Florida.

The 250-foot (76-meters) SS Cotopaxi was sailing from Charleston, South Carolina, to Havana when it disappeared along with its 32-person crew. But a team of underwater explorers and maritime archaeologists have identified the wreckage of the ship about 35 nautical miles off the coast of St. Augustine.

blumenkraft

« Reply #296 on: February 03, 2020, 06:06:30 PM »
Draining Earth's oceans, revealing the two-thirds of Earth's surface we don't get to see

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 14, 2020, 12:21:02 PM »
#GiletsJaunes

70th (or so) weekend of continuous demonstrations against the Macron government. Live now from Paris, France.

"Yellow Vests back on track before French municipal elections & despite coronavirus lockdown."

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 14, 2020, 05:39:42 PM »
#Euroleaks

Today, March 14, 2020, the Democracy in Europe Movement 2025 (DiEM25) is releasing the complete audio files of Yanis Varoufakis’ Eurogroup meetings in 2015 on: euroleaks.diem25.org!
Euroleaks is a wake-up call to all politicians in Europe to serve the citizens of Europe again and to make them aware of all important decisions that affect them.

The people of Europe have the right to know what was decided behind closed doors and how it affects them today. To make it better in the future and avoid these mistakes for the future. This is the only way we can save Europe and the EU!
Leaked by DiEM25 – full audio and transcripts available at https://euroleaks.diem25.org/.

https://diem25.org/euroleaks-the-full-2015-eurogroup-recordings-now-public/

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 14, 2020, 07:40:54 PM »
WikiLeaks

The WikiLeaks Grand Jury running 10+ years has been disbanded. Chelsea Manning and Jeremy Hammond have been released from its coercive machinations. Now drop all charges against #julianassange and release him.

Chelsea Manning Ordered Free From Prison — but Will Still Have to Pay Massive Fines by Natasha Lennard at The Intercept_:
"She owes the state $256,000, which she is expected to pay, even though the fines were only accrued on the condition that they might coerce her to speak."

You can help: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-chelsea-pay-her-court-fines
"This is the official campaign raising funds for Chelsea Manning's legal fines."

At the time of writing: $229,022 raised of $256,000 goal.