Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Unsorted  (Read 87154 times)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 0
Unsorted
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:50:23 AM »
I do not know where to put it, but it seems interesting to me:

UK politic
"Corbyn Rocks Parliament After Top Tory Ministers Resign"

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
Re: Unsorted
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 11:47:57 AM »
The neuroscience of psychopathy reports some intriguing findings. Posted Jun 08, 2017 by William Hirstein Ph.D.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mindmelding/201706/9-clues-you-may-be-dealing-psychopath

1. Uncaring
2. Shallow Emotions
3. Irresponsibility
4. Insincere Speech
5. Overconfidence
6. Narrowing of Attention
7. Selfishness
8. Inability to Plan for the Future
9. Violence

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:29:50 PM »
Douglas Rushkoff: Team Human - mastering the digital, published on Jul 9, 2018 by Nesta, 8 views
"Listen to Douglas Rushkoff explore the importance of human connection in the digital age."

BTW: Long discussion is OK here, it's not Café ;)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 03:25:36 PM »
... “The higher or more powerful a position, the more likely that person is going to be a psychopath,” he said. ...

I see that as inevitable result when society is built on destruction (Divide&Conquere, Compete&Destroy, Thugging&Bulling...).

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 09:47:37 PM »
WikiLeaks @wikileaks 7h7 hours ago
"
BREAKING: Big win for @JulianAssange as the Inter-American Court on Human Rights finds right to seek asylum in embassies and that states must give safe passage to embassy asylees.

PDF of the Court's press release: http://www.corteidh.or.cr/docs/comunicados/cp_28_18_eng.pdf

Backgrournd: https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/876837372121493504
"

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 02:21:38 AM »
"
BREAKING: Big win for @JulianAssange as the Inter-American Court on Human Rights finds right to seek asylum in embassies and that states must give safe passage to embassy asylees.

PDF of the Court's press release: http://www.corteidh.or.cr/docs/comunicados/cp_28_18_eng.pdf

"
Good news indeed!!
International law is slowly increasing pressure on the rogue regime that has ruled the US for so many decades.
Assange continues to expose the Exceptional Empire even while muted.
Terry

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 03:25:08 AM »
"

"
Good news indeed!!
International law is slowly increasing pressure on the rogue regime that has ruled the US for so many decades.
Assange continues to expose the Exceptional Empire even while muted.
Terry

He uses information as a weapon. Our problem is he is "selective" about what and when he releases sensational news. WikiLeaks helped disrupted the Copenhagen climate summit when they released copies of the climategate emails and set back global climate policy for years.

The Zen of WikiLeaks:
"In 2006, Mr. Assange wrote a pair of essays, “State and Terrorist Conspiracies” and “Conspiracy as Governance.” He sees the U.S. as an authoritarian conspiracy. “To radically shift regime behavior we must think clearly and boldly for if we have learned anything, it is that regimes do not want to be changed,” he writes. “Conspiracies take information about the world in which they operate,” he writes, and “pass it around the conspirators and then act on the result.”

His central plan is that leaks will restrict the flow of information among officials—”conspirators” in his view—making government less effective. Or, as Mr. Assange puts it, “We can marginalize a conspiracy’s ability to act by decreasing total conspiratorial power until it is no longer able to understand, and hence respond effectively to its environment. . . . An authoritarian conspiracy that cannot think efficiently cannot act to preserve itself.”
Science is a thought process, technology will change reality.

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 02:28:23 PM »
ASILurker,

Help me understand the good work Julian Assange has done. How about a short list of his best leaks and how they changed the course of history.

Examples might include where new laws were enacted that protect the common man, caused less violence, improved the environment or helped put criminals in prison and especially how he has caused governments and corporations to be more transparent.

For example a new report was just released by the Information Security Oversight Office (ISOO):
"In 2017, ISOO found that original classification activity (production of new secrets) increased for the first time in four years. At the same time, derivative classification decreased."
https://fas.org/blogs/secrecy/2018/07/isoo-crossroads/

The federal government spent more than $18.3 billion on security classification in fiscal year 2017, with contractors adding another $1.5 billion. Government spending was up 9 percent over the previous year and has almost doubled since 2009.
Science is a thought process, technology will change reality.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »
#SaveYourInternet
Previously, twice in Café 2 , 1 and How to secure internet ?.

Julia Reda @Senficon Jul 7: "Spot-on analysis of why Thursday’s #copyright vote went our way, by the ever-perceptive @technollama: http://infojustice.org/archives/40128  #SaveYourInternet"

"What Can the Copyright Directive Vote Tell Us About the State of Digital Rights?"
Posted by Andres Guadamuz | Jul 6, 2018 | Academic Resources, Regional Fora

"If you can stomach it, read this thread featuring a copyright lobbyist attacking Neil Gaiman, who has been just one of the few internet celebrities that have voiced their concerns about the Directive."

One example:
Netopia.eu @netopiaforum Jun 28: "Keep fooling yourself, keep catastrophizing, peddling misinformation or listing fortune tellers in battered old caravans over the back field. Perhaps listen to the facts & trusted, elected officials who will pass the directive, or reject it! 
@EP_Legal ||| #Vote4JURIreport |||"

Neil Gaiman @neilhimself Jun 28: "“Trust officials. Not the people who built the internet, or the Open Rights Group or the EFF...?” You wouldn’t be a lobbyist by any chance?"

Sounds familiar?  ;D

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 12:32:29 AM »
Pakistan’s ‘Russiagate’ Elections: Imran Khan and the Rational ‘Villains’ the West Loves to Hate
By Junaid S. Ahmad at Grayzone, August 13, 2018.

"The post-election despair of Pakistan’s Western-oriented elites echoes the American establishment’s moral panic over Russian meddling."

"It’s not emphasized enough, but Pakistan’s decision to refuse to participate in the criminal Saudi war on Yemen in 2015 was an historic turning point. It was the beginning of the process of deepening decolonization, since the Saudis and Americans have always expected Pakistan to dance to their tune. "

"Part of it is that Khan has been so deeply critical of US-NATO policies with regard to the ‘Af-Pak’ theatre of the ‘war on terror.’"

Please, read the report.

-

Grayzone is not unknown to some members but anyway:
https://grayzoneproject.com/about/
"
The Grayzone Project is an online news website dedicated to original investigative journalism and analysis, edited by Max Blumenthal.

The Grayzone Project is an independent journalistic initiative that takes no money from any government.
"

More titles of current reports:
   How Nicaragua’s ‘Left-Wing’ Opposition MRS Are NGO Opportunists Lobbying the West for Regime Change
   A Response to Misinformation on Nicaragua: It Was a Coup, Not a ‘Massacre’
   “We Don’t Want To Lose Anymore”: Inside the Complex Peace Process That Helped Syrians Find an End to the Fighting
   Meet the Mystery Fixer Who Negotiated Syria Out of Seven Years of War
   More evidence of Libya blowback: UK Navy rescued Manchester suicide bomber
   An Exclusive Interview with Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega
   How Washington and Soft Power NGOs Manipulated Nicaragua’s Death Toll to Drive Regime Change and Sanctions
   An Open Letter To The Guardian On Its Wildly Inaccurate Coverage of Nicaragua
   Ukraine Attacks Journalists Who Reported Israeli Weapons Flow to Its Neo-Nazi Militia

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 01:41:40 AM »
Max Blumenthal @MaxBlumenthal 4h4 hours ago: "And it looks like Caitlin Johnstone (@caitoz) was just bounced from Twitter for saying mean things about John McCain. Everyone okay with this political purge? And who’s next?"

The latest from Caitlin:

Twitter Shut Down My Account For “Abusing” John McCain

How To Beat A Manipulator
   1. Get Clear On Your Own Will
   2. Watch Where All The Resources Are Going
   3. Watch Actions,Not Their Words
   4. Don’t Try To Out-Manipulate Them
   5. Apply The Manipulator’s Rules In Reverse

Take Chances

Media Manipulation is Conditioning us With False Narratives
"One of the weirdest things about the post-Iraq invasion world is how the mass media has actually gotten less accountable instead of more accountable for its reporting since that time."

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 06:47:40 AM »
Thans for that article by Ahmad at grayzone.

I posted a comment and a reference at
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,617.msg168061.html#msg168061

I liked Imran Khan when he played cricket, and I have watched his political career over the decades with interest. Bear in mind, tho that the military tipped the scales against Sharif here.

We shall see.

sidd

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 07:59:38 PM »
 8) RESISTANCE  8)

Caitlin Johnstone @caitoz 18h18 hours ago: " I'm back! Thanks for making such a huge, powerful noise everyone! "

Update on "Twitter Shut Down My Account For “Abusing” John McCain":

It looks like the suspension was lifted just after I hit publish on this. A lot of my fans and even a few haters made a big noise in objection to Twitter’s actions, and it worked! As we discussed recently, the plutocratic manipulators work so hard to manufacture our consent because they need that consent, and they can’t act if we don’t give it to them. I’ve left the article as-is below for posterity, and so people can see my experience with #Resistance Twitter’s attempt to silence dissident speech. Never stop fighting.

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/twitter-has-shut-down-my-account-for-abusing-john-mccain-25e7be909f4d

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 10:44:37 PM »
Corporate Censorship might make an interesting campaign plank - for any candidate not feeding from the Tech Trough. :(
Terry

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 12:51:52 AM »
Vladimir Putin attends Austrian foreign minister's wedding, BBC News 1h ago.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45229235

"Austrian Foreign Minister Karin Kneissl and Russian President Vladimir Putin dance during her wedding on August 18, 2018 in Gamlitz, Styria, Austria.  (AFP)"

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2018/08/18/571579/Austrias-FM-Kneissl-dances-with-Russias-Putin-at-her-wedding

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »

She's wearing far too much - - lipstick. Otherwise she's a keeper.
The Judge is the (natural) blond. Her chauffeur's the one with the camera.
This was after she had been officially stripped of her office & formally disrobed.

Reminiscent of Berkeley 50 years ago. Where have all the streakers gone - long time ago.
Terry

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 12:31:48 AM »
Vacation item, Not Urgent
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sweden: Stig Lundqist? (a friend of Hannes Alfvén ?)
Can anyone give more info about his work? Specially, about "Force Free Current"? articles pdf or whatever

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 06:45:13 AM »
Effects of Electron-Electron and Electron-Phonon Interactions on the One-Electron States of Solids
LARS HEDIN AND STIG LUNDQVIST
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
Sleepy, Thanks for the pdf, that will fed my layman curiosity.
( Entertaining myself with speculations wrt interesting plasma experiments Safire people do, controversial, ASIF unrelated - i.e. vacation item :) )

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2018, 09:18:22 AM »
Aha, interesting, I'm entertaining myself by watching Timothy Morton right now. :)

Diving into this forum can be somewhat challenging, either there are those who think that building or pumping our way out of this nightmare is the proper way for mitigation, or those who stick heavily to science and think that those who worry about areas not well quantified by science should shut up.

The how is the what and why we are right in a way that totally sucks!
https://youtu.be/Yv4W4M8Z8VQ?t=18m32s
-

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 09:30:05 AM »
Entering the marshlands of philosophy might not be everyone's cup of tea, adding two snippets.
The actual lecture (linked above) is just short of fifty minutes.
-

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »
Any betting people here?

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/11418/Will-NASA-find-2018s-global-average-temperature-highest-on-record#rules

The global temperature "Annual Average Anomaly" for 2018 shall be greater than 0.99 degrees Celsius, as rounded to the nearest hundredth of a degree, according to the first-published such data on NASA's Global Climate Change website, available upon launch of this market at https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/. Should no such data be published on or before January 31, 2019, PredictIt may at its sole discretion continue to await its availability or select a suitable alternate source.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 09:39:41 PM »
That's the way to do it !

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/aug/31/world-leaders-who-deny-climate-change-should-go-to-mental-hospital-samoan-pm

World leaders who deny climate change should go to mental hospital – Samoan PM
Tuilaepa Sailele berates leaders who fail to take issue seriously, singling out Australia, India, China and the US

The prime minister of Samoa has called climate change an “existential threat ... for all our Pacific family” and said that any world leader who denied climate change’s existence should be taken to a mental hospital.

In a searing speech delivered on Thursday night during a visit to Sydney, Tuilaepa Sailele berated leaders who fail to take climate change seriously, singling out Australia, as well as India, China and the US, which he said were the “three countries that are responsible for all this disaster”.

“Any leader of those countries who believes that there is no climate change I think he ought to be taken to mental confinement, he is utter[ly] stupid and I say the same thing for any leader here who says there is no climate change.”

Speaking at the Lowy Institute, just days before the beginning of the Pacific Islands Forum in Nauru, the Samoan prime minister seemed to take a swipe at Australia’s commitment to minimising the impact of climate change, which he called the “single greatest threat to the livelihood, security and wellbeing peoples of the Pacific”.

“While climate change may be considered a slow onset threat by some in our region, its adverse impacts are already felt by our Pacific islands peoples and communities,” said Sailele. “Greater ambition is necessary to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees centigrade and Pacific island countries continue to urge faster action by all countries.”

Sailele said addressing climate change required “political guts” from leaders. “We all know the problem, we all know the causes, we all know the solutions. All that is left would be some political courage, some political guts to get out and tell the people of your country, ‘Do this, this, this, or there is any certainty of disaster.’”

Sailele’s speech comes as leaders of Pacific nations are preparing to meet at the Pacific Islands Forum in Nauru next week, where Australia is expected to face questions about its emissions targets.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 03:47:17 PM »
------- Bits & Pieces (a collection of notes)

The West: [ I think: I exist. ]
The East: [ I exist: I think... )   

SPIEF 2018:
   We saw some videos from WGS 2018 (example: Tyson Q&A), here is Technologies of the Future from SPIEF 2018.
   Michio Kaku do not mention "perfect capitalism" this time, says Tech is DoubleSword, emphasis Capital of Mind - not Capital of Hands. Good!
   Sadhguru! :) says anything what can be built as an expression of a memory block will be built at some point of time then he goes further then that, he goes "beyond".
   More: Transitional world: What will tomorrow bring? How will it turn out? Depends, are we inclusive or exclusive?

Becoming spiritual:
   Ambition to Vision
   Avoided Limitless Expansion, is it solution to Fermi paradox: ETI's figured out nonsense of endless physical expansion?

Sadhguru argues that spirituality is science (no belief system inside). Stupid, Suspicious, Skeptic, Seeker
   What I know I know, what I do not know I do not know - is that hard to say? Knowledge is finite, ignorance is boundless - that is where new possibilities/not_yet_known reside. Seek.

On Frontiers (of physics) (and beyond):
   Big part of science are models, all wrong - but some are useful. All of it is based on many assumptions, we couldn't do much otherwise.

Carlo Rovelli:
      What Is Time?,    
      Q/A, Ri, April 2018.
      More, Sean Carroll's podcast: Carlo Rovelli on Quantum Mechanics, Spacetime, and Reality, Jul, 2018.

Nima Arkani-Hamed:   
      Mystery of Time, ICTS, Bengaluru, January 2018.
      SpaceTime Is Doomed, SLAC Stanford, Jun, 2018.

Appendix:
   PSW: Measurement Of Time by William D. Phillips, January, 2016. - recommended, watch it to see why
   Quanta Magazine: New Clues to How the Brain Maps Time, 2016.

Entertainment bit:
"Weird Lightning" by J. Dwyer (2011 Sept 23)
I like physics much but basicaly most of what we know is about non-plasma baryonic state of matter which makes about 0.1% of 15% of the Universe total matter content so: Perhaps we should be more humble?

Protoje - A Matter Of Time (Official Audio) || A Matter Of Time

Seek.

--eof

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »
SPIEF 2018:
   We saw some videos from WGS 2018 (example: Tyson Q&A), here is Technologies of the Future from SPIEF 2018.
   Michio Kaku do not mention "perfect capitalism" this time, says Tech is DoubleSword, emphasis Capital of Mind - not Capital of Hands. Good!

Thanks, watched the part with Kaku now, good. I remember our little discussion.
Also adding this quote:
-"Moore's law only works for transistors".
Also very true.
-

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 02:53:01 PM »
Sleepy, thanks for feedback.

--

Hedges: Because we don’t understand the pathology of the rich we’ve been saturated with cultural images and a kind of cultural deification of wealth and those who have wealth. We are being, you know they present people of immense wealth as somehow leaders, Oracle’s even, and we don’t grasp internally what it is an oligarchic class is finally about or how venal and morally bankrupt they are.
Source given by Lurk: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1102.msg175150.html#msg175150

A bit about it:
Conversations on Compassion with Dr. James Doty & Sadhguru, CCARE Stanford California, May 13, 2014.
Dr. James Doty above: He proceeds to have a conversation with me. I'm not quite sure why... He points to his watch "see this watch, that costed a million dollars"...   
(too lazy to write - plse listen there)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 06:07:03 PM »

Also adding this quote:
-"Moore's law only works for transistors".
Also very true.

If you separate Moore's law from the basic physics behind it and expand it to look at all sorts of technology - even the humble disc drive, a similar pattern emerges. (And much good will it do us?)

I also thought Moore's Law was hitting the buffers as far as silicon dioxide transistors were concerned, hence all the research into weird and wonderful new processors and storage devices. I am so glad it is mostly passing me by.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2018, 10:06:11 PM »
Computers was my life once, pretty much bored by them nowadays, also need a huge screen to see anything without glasses.

Moore himself stated a doubling every year at first and then revised it to two years, ten years later in 1975. But the 3.5" hdd I have beside me is roughly the same size as those I had in the 80's, the same with 2.5" drives which appeared a few years later in that decade. Capacity is not comparable of course, I think the first 3.5" was 10MB and one of my own was a whopping 100MB if I remember correctly.

The similar pattern around miniaturization itself, does apply for a lot of tech during most of the entire IT evolution. Now we have lightning fast and tiny M2 SSD drives, no platters, different tech. But that's the IT evolution, even though some try to draw parallels to other sectors. Like here, if you remember this?
I would call the following screen shot presented by Mr. Harj Dhaliwal a blatant lie.

The left part of the image, IT-evolution during those years was highly dependent on miniaturization, we simply can't achieve that with transports. Unless someone invents a transporter á la Star Trek.

The right part of the image shows trains, cars, aviation and then the hyperloop as the next (BAU) step into infinity.  ::)
-

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2018, 08:12:28 AM »
Mornin', neither am I Lurk. As I've expressed elsewhere in here I used to be naive and proud about working in and taking part of, the IT (r)evolution.

W3->W3.1 doubled in two years, the latter hogged at least 10MB of valuable disk space in the early 90's, remember beeing quite annoyed about that. :) Back then the Atari was heavily used in Germany, not so much in Sweden. OS on ROM and almost zero disk usage. Still have an Atari Portfolio lying around somewhere, featured in Terminator...

One interesting thing is that my quoted post above was immediately deemed as incessant trolling in here and maybe also a lesson learnt around what people within the IT world expected back then. We really thought a public Internet would change everything for the better and people would have access to information on equal terms. Porn swamped it immediately (no surprise) and now it's mostly a commercialized opinion trash can, laced with alt right propaganda. Those morons really took advantage of it; spend enough time spreading lies and some will believe it.

Not much left of those dreams from back then. Never thought I would spend so much time teaching my kids how to use Internet sensibly and with great care.

Also reconnecting with that little discussion thak took place in the Café, about views. Normally when you check the stats on useful videos and information, it's really low. Below low sometimes.
Time ran out, gotta go...
-

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2018, 01:28:49 PM »
The rule could be: the best videos on youtube are never seen.

Yes, it's partly because of the masses, but it's also because of manipulation. For instance, nobody ever watched clips from CNN or MSNBC, they'd maybe get a couple of hundred views. But then YouTube changed something around a year ago, I have no idea what, and now the same sort of clips get tens to hundreds of thousands of views within days.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2018, 01:46:55 PM »
Youtube views are mostly marketing related, if they're being pushed number of views will grow, otherwise the video could just rot. But from experience I can say a good headline, description and relevant keywords can help a lot, and putting the video in a couple of appropriate websites can help jumpstart it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:33:56 AM by oren »

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2018, 10:38:26 AM »
Thank you Lurk. And yes, that was exactly my point, areas where one knows the facts.
--
And for what's pushed or not:
-

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2018, 04:51:50 AM »
The press conference is now over.
SR15 is out, have fun...
http://www.ipcc.ch/report/sr15/
Live conference going on here:

Most of the time the number of views hovered roughly around 450. That's 450 out of all people on planet earth who have access to the Internet.
-

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 01:34:15 PM »
Currently 8.700 views (my hopefully included) for IPCC SR15 video above.

-

On Religion, 2018-10-05, Sadhguru at 8:45...
I like comments to; Pakistan, India & around, 3500+.

On Clarity..., Sadhguru - Joyfully Confused ;)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »
Oysters On The Half Shell Are Actually Saving New York's Eroding Harbor

Across New York City, more than 70 restaurants are tossing their oyster shells not into the trash or composting pile, but into the city's eroded harbor. It's all part of Billion Oyster Project's restaurant shell-collection program.

The shells then get a final cleaning and are moved to Billion Oyster Project's hatchery at the Urban Assembly New York Harbor School, a public high school on Governors Island that offers technical and vocational training in the marine sciences. In an aquaculture classroom's hatchery, student-grown oysters produce larvae in an artificially induced springtime environment. In one to two weeks, each larvae grows a "foot" — a little limb covered in a kind of natural glue — and then is moved to a tank full of the "cured" restaurant shells, which serve as anchors for all of those sticky feet. This phase is critical: If larvae can't find a place to attach, they die. One reclaimed shell can house 10 to 20 new live oysters, depending on shell size.

While not all of the larvae will survive, the goal is to get at least five oysters clustered onto one restaurant shell — think flowering oyster bouquets. If the water is warm enough, mature oysters are moved to a reef structure — a cage or shellfish bag — that provides a stable area for oysters to fuse together and create a healthy reef in the New York Harbor.
Then, the oysters begin doing what oysters do — which, it turns out, is quite a lot. Oysters are natural water filters; each one cleans 30 to 50 gallons of water a day. They also provide food and shelter for all sorts of marine creatures, supporting biodiversity. "Oyster reefs provide great marine habitat, similar to coral reefs, with nooks and crannies to protect juvenile fish, and are active food for some species. They help to create a thriving ecosystem," Wachtel says.

But the biggest draw for many coastal states such as New York, especially in an era of rising sea temperatures and eviscerating hurricanes, is that oysters can provide natural breakwaters. Oyster reefs can protect against a hurricane's wave velocity, which can destroy a city's infrastructure. The New York Governor's Office of Storm Recovery has partnered with Billion Oyster Project to install oysters on its $74 million Living Breakwaters Project, which aims to reduce and reverse erosion and damage from storm waves, improve the ecosystem health of Raritan Bay and encourage environmentally conscious stewardship of nearshore waters.
Billion Oyster Project Executive Director Pete Malinowski says none of this work would be possible without the restaurant shell-collection program. "It's critical. We need oyster shells to do our work, and the only place to get them is from restaurants," Malinowski says. Luckily, restaurants are more than happy to oblige; Billion Oyster Project has collected more than 1 million pounds of oyster shells, well on the way to its goal of creating 1 billion live oysters — hence its name — across 100 acres of reefs by 2035.

and more
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/10/10/654781446/oysters-on-the-half-shell-are-actually-saving-new-yorks-eroding-harbor

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

johnm33

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »
Someone commented elsewhere about a subtropical arctic so I had a look around.
https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/axel-heiberg-island Quite surprised to learn of the sverdrup basin and it's 13km of sediment, but even more by the eclectic mix of 'fossilised' trees found that are still wood.
http://hoopermuseum.earthsci.carleton.ca/forest/eocene11.html A series of pages with a little more detail, indicating that the forest environment was destroyed by catastrophic flooding.
http://nunatsiaq.com/stories/article/263419_nunavut_considers_a_new_park_for_axel_heibergs_fossil_forest/  Did it get park status?
http://www.geosociety.org/gsatoday/archive/12/1/pdf/i1052-5173-12-1-4.pdf A more geological detail.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2018, 03:29:09 PM »
"On Religion", 2018-10-05, video from above has now 5,200+ comments and grows... (my impression is that most of participiants there are young ppl)
"Do not rebuke a fool or he will hate you. But correct the wise and they will love you."
is the recent comment (42 minutes ago) and reason why i made this post.

Meanwhile, in Pakistan.

Transcript of Sadhguru part used in video above, 2018-09:
https://isha.sadhguru.org/global/en/wisdom/video/why-religion-and-conflict
Sadhguru speaks about how people fight over their own beliefs, and how they try to impose them on others, which will inevitably lead to conflict. Religion is a method to turn inwards and should not be reduced to a set of beliefs - religion is about changing oneself. The true conflict in the world is not between good and evil, but rather one man's belief versus another man's belief.

BTW: Sadhguru and Raftaar (Indian rapper and singer) - Instagram Live Chat, 2018-09.
Also,
On Motivation And Spark, Sadhguru answers a student’s question. At 6:37 "this university time should be shortened unless..." reminds me on what one of my favourite profesors have said to us, students: "If i'm asked, those who came here for a paper should get that after 2nd year so that we, professors, can spend more time with you who came here to learn."

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »
"Wrongful Conviction with Jason Flom is a podcast about tragedy, triumph, unequal justice and actual innocence.  Based on the files of the lawyers who freed them, Wrongful Conviction features interviews with men and women who have spent decades in prison for crimes they did not commit – some of them had even been sentenced to death.  These are their stories."
http://www.revolverpodcasts.com/shows/wrongful-conviction-with-jason-flom/

Inner Freedom for the Imprisoned: A conversation with Sadhguru, audio there: duration 49:26, 2018.

"In this special edition of Wrongful Conviction, Jason Flom is joined by Sadhguru to discuss his revolutionary work that has helped reform prisons throughout India."

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2018, 09:31:14 PM »
Raising Human Consciousness
    for a People in a Hurry

Go to the moon  8)

(Jason Major @JPMajor Oct 22)

+ Edit :

Amazing Competence: Apollo 14 landing from PDI to Touchdown

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 01:25:13 PM by ivica »

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2018, 10:16:11 AM »
Distance Helps Clarity
   in time: String theory pros and cons
   in space: Jimmy Dore Went To Italy for it
   in dimension: Sliding dimension up gets Moebius Transformations Revealed

Notion of a scale/perspective also helps:
   Neil deGrasse Tyson's
   Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot
   Sadhguru's

All of above is outward oriented, now something of opposite: flesruoY gniwonK :)

< , consequences follow, what to do >

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
... What To Do: Help Youth - Future Belongs To Them

Sadhguru at IIT Bombay – Youth and Truth [Full talk], premiered 18 hours ago.

"On Sep 20, Sadhguru was at IIT Bombay as part of the Youth and Truth movement. Watch the vibrant QnA session that followed as Sadhguru answered students’ questions on a wide range of topics". The list of the questions... is in the video description.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2018, 10:05:06 AM »
The framework for a society to bring a positive change

. internal consciousness
   .. public awareness
   ... proactiveness

< <.> >

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2018, 12:57:37 PM »
Not sure where to put this.

COULD SOLAR RADIATION PRESSURE EXPLAIN ‘OUMUAMUA’S PECULIAR ACCELERATION?
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1810.11490.pdf
Alternatively, a more exotic scenario is that Oumuamua may be a fully operational probe sent intentionally to Earth vicinity by an alien civilization.

If it was, I can understand why they opted to step on it.
-

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2018, 06:47:48 PM »
Nice paper.

Interestingly, ‘Oumuamua’s entry velocity is found to be extremely close to the velocity of the Local Standard of Rest, in a kinematic region that is occupied by less than 1 to 500 stars (Mamajek 2017).

One wonders how it would do the probing.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2018, 06:29:32 AM »
Give them a call. ;)
Remembering when even mentioning aliens was a no-no...

Metop-C launched.

Background:
https://scienceblog.eumetsat.int/2018/11/metop-c-on-the-launch-pad-and-ready-to-go/

-

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2018, 03:26:23 PM »
Nice paper.

Interestingly, ‘Oumuamua’s entry velocity is found to be extremely close to the velocity of the Local Standard of Rest, in a kinematic region that is occupied by less than 1 to 500 stars (Mamajek 2017).

One wonders how it would do the probing.

Surely with sub-space sensors, which must have been concealed with a cloaking device.
 ;)

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 06:55:24 AM »
Icy 'Super-Earth' Exoplanet Spotted Around Nearby Barnard's Star
https://www.space.com/42423-barnards-star-super-earth-exoplanet-discovery.html
The nearest single star to the sun apparently hosts a big, icy planet.

Astronomers have found strong evidence of a frigid alien world about 3.2 times more massive than Earth circling Barnard's Star, a dim red dwarf that lies just 6 light-years from the sun. Barnard's Star is our sun's nearest neighbor, apart from the three-star Alpha Centauri system, which is about 4.3 light-years away.

The newly detected world, known as Barnard's Star b, remains a planet candidate for now. But the researchers who spotted it are confident the alien planet will eventually be confirmed.

"After a very careful analysis, we are 99 percent confident that the planet is there," Ignasi Ribas, of the Institute of Space Studies of Catalonia and the Institute of Space Sciences in Spain, said in a statement.
-

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »
AGW? Global Warming? Get lost. Wake up, it's BLACK FRIDAY. I've got to buy something I do not need and probably don't really want.

Research from consumer group Which? released this week found that nearly nine in 10 “deals” available on Black Friday last year had been even cheaper at other times of year.

Jon Holt, head of financial services at KPMG, said: “Black Friday plays on the excitement of spending while frictionless finance and cheap credit puts that buying buzz within everyone’s grasp.

“Our poll found that 51% of respondents didn’t even think the discounts they’re offered on Black Friday are a genuine saving! Having an economy disproportionately built on debt is not sustainable for consumers, retailers or financial services.”

Retailers are also at risk of diving further into the red as a result of slashing prices, according to credit ratings agency Moody’s. It said retailers without a carefully thought-out strategy only succeeded in booking sales they would have made anyway in December, but at lower levels of profit.

Pmt111500

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2018, 12:46:07 PM »
Re: black friday

I don't get why it's black. Why not white or caucasian? Would an asian wednesday sell better? Anyway whites (or rather, pinkos) are not of one race as some might think. There are oranges too but I bought mandarines, Chinese. What's the equivalent office in government? Should there be a levelled government? Oh, what's happening in Cameroon? English and French speaking locals are fighting a proxy war? What else is new?

Went to grocery shopping, the parking was nearly full in the middle of the day.