Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Unsorted  (Read 9711 times)

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Unsorted
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2019, 09:44:42 AM »
I suggest that rather than learn physics from internet fora, one might want to read textbooks ?  and you will need some mathematics for quantized thinking

If you dont have much math, try Griffiths, or try susskind video. You will need some math for both.

If you have some math at undergrad level, but not much, try Feynman (v. III)

If you have the math, try Dirac, or Landau/Liftschitz or many others. In fact if you have the math, you dont need me to recommend.

Dirac is crystal clear and hard as diamond. But worth it. (as is his book on relativistic quantum field theory)

For more modern approaches to quantum field theory, Streater/Wightman, Itzykson/Zuber, Weinberg, or Bogulibov come to mind. 

But to take a larger view, quantum theory is best understood if you understand classical, pre-quantum theory theory. Goldstein and Landau come to mind there. Or what the hell, even Jackson on classical electrodynamics.

But there is no getting away from the math requirement for any of this.

Once you get thru this, Bohm and hidden variables become more understandable.

I will note from your links that Yablon has been pushing his ideas for a while, but very few accept them. Personally i think that Bohm has much more credibility in the physics community.

sidd
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:09:46 AM by sidd »

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »
In my view experiments should decide which idea is better to follow because only experiments can have real credibility.
Anyway my ignorance will remain boundless and somehow inspiring/motivating and that is OK for me.

nanning

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2019, 11:17:16 AM »
re: basic mathematics learning, to add to sidd's post,
I think you'll need calculus, linear algebra, statistics and partial differential equations to understand the above.

Some basic mathematics books I had to learn and think are good are:
Calculus: by Adams, "A complete course" (Pearson)  (Schaum's outline series (McGraw-Hill) are great for practicing)
Linear algebra:  by Lay, "Linear Algebra" (Pearson)
Differential equations and much more: Kreyszig "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" (Wiley)

For basic physics I love the books by Griffith: "Electrodynamics" and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" (Pearson)

johnm33

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2019, 03:43:17 PM »
"Experiments Suggest Humans Can Directly Observe the Quantum"
ivica Try SMPhillips site, a physicist who was impressed by the predictive accuracy of the theosophists once he'd learnt to interpret their work correctly, they apparently acquired the skill in weeks. Worth reading 'The secret life of nature' P Tomkins iirc too at least the electron chapter.

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2019, 05:08:43 PM »
johnm33, thanks for the links i'll take a look...

Main intention with The Gadget post is to inspire/motivate a reader to think a bit about own body/mind and power of it.

Most people around me are not aware even of own nasal cycle, so my main interest is on elementary stuff, like breath... and how to get people to pay more attention to their basic faculties and stop doing variety of nasty things they do unconsciously to themselves.
To get people to think, feel, understand and experience little more is harder then i previously thought.

Tim

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2019, 06:00:05 PM »
johnm33, thanks for the links i'll take a look...

Main intention with The Gadget post is to inspire/motivate a reader to think a bit about own body/mind and power of it.

Most people around me are not aware even of own nasal cycle, so my main interest is on elementary stuff, like breath... and how to get people to pay more attention to their basic faculties and stop doing variety of nasty things they do unconsciously to themselves.
To get people to think, feel, understand and experience little more is harder then i previously thought.

Much harder than you might have thought.

Another place you might look for not just observation of, but interaction with realty at this level, is to indigenous shamanism. The Australian aboriginal noticing that reality acted more like a fluid dream, South American methods for finding the fluidity of objective reality as relayed by the Carlos Castaneda works, and even in a better, less western, understanding of what the North American indigenous were really forcing themselves to experience on their personal vision quests.

What I was teasing about with my silly post, was about this fluidity of reality, it's malleable qualities that the Australian aboriginals could force themselves into seeing on their walkabouts, as with the North American indigenous on their similar vision quests. What I was saying in my silly post, is that wherever collective minds reduce anything into a certainty, they have collapsed the wave into a particle, so to speak, as was demonstrated in the famous double slit experiment ... and those things become fixed in reality, certainties, with very little malleability anymore. Wherever things can remain probabilistic, however, the way the waves collapse can remain fluid and then still be collapsed into a number of different certainties. Careful what you make certain, in other words.

Weather, is still very uncertain to western culture. They can only predict it out a few days, and even then if something unpredictable happens, people, even people who are very certain about what they think, will shrug their shoulders and say, meh ... weather, can't really predict it. Too variable. Too chaotic. This is a great place to run your own experiments, exactly because it contains so much uncertainty. You don't need any math (that's trying to force certainty.) You just need yourself and objective reality.

I would suggest the Taoists were also quite onto this, and had developed a methodology for observing it, and also for interacting with it consciously, rather than just blindly (as you alluded to in your statement about the subconscious.)

Good luck. Especially with formal western thinkers. They mostly only like objective certainties, and shy away from leaving such things in a fluid wave state. That's why all the math. I feel they missed the boat on what that double slit experiment was showing them about the fluidity of reality. They are working hard to collapse it into something else, and doing quite a good job of it too.

All you need is a brain and a reality to run your own experiments with this, like the indigenous did, or the Taoists. Some advice from someone with experience can help sometimes too.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 07:11:52 PM by Tim »

johnm33

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2019, 07:28:48 PM »
http://www.ronaldcowen.com/
ivica Cowen is an adept, he found his own way to seeing, only realised what he'd found when he came across SMPhillips work. Probably aligns better with your interest.

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2019, 07:39:40 PM »
Tim, I had wink at the end of my prev reply but feeling somewhat waggish well after midnight i deleted that poor smiley at posting.

What resonates the best with me happened to be Yogic system, and that is quite similar to what you are talking, all that comes from within after all.

"Good luck. Especially with formal western thinkers."
ah, my objective reality ;)

---
In is the Only Way Out.
being == knows how to be
Human being, not human doing - says Daniel Schmidt in one of his videos.
---

Thanks again, johnm33.

Tim

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2019, 07:51:10 PM »
Yes, ivica, I neglected to mention the yogis and yoganinis. Kundalini yoga, in particular, is a branch that focuses heavily on reaching out and interacting with a fluid reality. All of it can be related back to the double slit discovery, which western science is working hard to stuff back into a Newtonian box of an objective, fixed reality, built on certainties. I can totally see and relate to why your interests lead you there for a looksy.

I like breath too, pranayama, it's a great thing. Good luck in your endeavors.  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 08:18:36 PM by Tim »

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2019, 12:40:53 PM »
Short entry on pranayama ( blame Tim ;) )
   (it's not intended to teach but to give a peek in culture different then ours)

Complete Package of Pranayama for young Beginner's

The Breath.

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2019, 10:23:08 AM »
when so many cannot notice own breath how could they notice anything subtler, their instrumentarium is full of noise and so almost useless.

Stop Limiting Life's Possibility

"This is about realizing the full potential of what it means to be human."

"
when you are in any state of compulsiveness, you don’t see anything the way it is, it gets exaggerated.
If your bladder is full, one minute, I am talking about enlightenment, your bladder is very full, are you interested?
‘I don’t want any enlightenment' right now, going to the bathroom feels like ultimate liberation.
"

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2019, 08:37:43 PM »
Add to previous post: How to Stop Sabotaging Yourself

gerontocrat

• ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 737
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #112 on: Today at 11:03:58 AM »
Way to go .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48624784
Chinese tombs yield earliest evidence of cannabis use
The study suggests cannabis was being smoked at least 2,500 years ago, and that it may have been associated with ritual or religious activities.

Traces of the drug were identified in wooden burners from the burials. The cannabis had high levels of the psychoactive compound THC, suggesting people at the time were well aware of its effects.

Cannabis plants have been cultivated in East Asia for their oily seeds and fibre from at least 4,000 BC. But the early cultivated varieties of cannabis, as well as most wild populations, had low levels of THC and other psychoactive compounds.

The burners, or braziers, were found at Jirzankal Cemetery, high up in the Pamir Mountains.

The scientists think ancient people put cannabis leaves and hot stones in the braziers and inhaled the resulting smoke.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

be cause

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Citizenship .. a Lurker gets asylum
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #113 on: Today at 11:13:40 AM »
  .. I'll just set my pipe down .. I'm awaiting my 10th prosecution for using and sharing this wonderful herb with the sick and dying .. things change ... b.c.
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 ...