Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Unsorted  (Read 87170 times)

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
Re: Unsorted
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2019, 04:18:52 PM »
I feel for you gerontocrat and DrTskoul. An imaginary warm hug from me.

Terry, I also have had clinical depression. No more though. Now I understand myself. Let's say I was lucky.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
I might have been to hard with you vs Terry, Gero but I saw the comments together and I saw red. My wife has had chronic pain for a decade due to back injury and is treated like a junkie by the doctors because she complains about being in severe pain. And you hear comments from people to essentially suck it up and it’s not that bad.  When pain and depression depend on the individual’s biochemistry!!

I apologize..

No need.
I screwed up my back ~50 years ago and when it hurts the pain is barely bearable - opioids rule.

Clinical depressions started before I was out of my teens & I've since spoken to everyone I knew who had similar experiences. Those that ended by choosing suicide had also chosen anti-depressants, hence my avoidance of the same.

My wife also suffers from depression, though so far we've never had overlapping incidents. She took what was prescribed for ~ one year, gained damn near 100 pounds and got off the stuff. Can you imagine prescribing a pill that causes rapid weight gain to a depressed female?
Her weight's back to normal & she won't even consider another pill, although she finds help with therapists and in group therapy.

If I had anything good to say about anti-depressants I'd say so. I'ts not so much a question of "sucking it up", as coming to the conclusion that the risks far outweigh the benefits.

Cheers
Terry

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2019, 11:45:03 PM »
I might have been to hard with you vs Terry, Gero but I saw the comments together and I saw red. My wife has had chronic pain for a decade due to back injury and is treated like a junkie by the doctors because she complains about being in severe pain. And you hear comments from people to essentially suck it up and it’s not that bad.  When pain and depression depend on the individual’s biochemistry!!

I apologize..
As the Scots might say "Dinna Fash".

I was having one of those days with yuck thoughts invading the brain, so reacted badly myself.

But an hour or so ago I found some new data from GRACE-FO in a format I could read.
Such a silly little thing really, but lifted the mood. Grains are weird.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2019, 03:19:36 AM »
Related to https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2346.msg211086.html#msg211086

After a Human Shooting, Florida Tempers Its Advice On Hunting Invasive Iguanas
https://qz.com/1676561/florida-tempers-advice-on-hunting-invasive-iguanas/amp/

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC) wishes to inform state residents that they can kill green iguanas, which are not a native species, but they can’t go around shooting the creatures willy-nilly.

... Now that a human has been shot in one resident’s quest to get rid of iguanas, the FWC is being more explicit, however. “If you are not capable of safely removing iguanas from your property, please seek assistance from professionals who do this for a living,” said FWC commissioner Rodney Barreto in the most recent statement.

On July 5, an iguana hunter armed with a pellet gun accidentally shot a swimming pool maintenance worker in a residential neighborhood of Boca Raton. E-Lyn Bryan heard a shout and saw blood squirting from a wound sustained by her “pool guy.” She told NBC 6 in south Florida, “We have iguanas everywhere. If neighbors are gonna be like the Wild West and shoot at everything, someone’s gonna get killed.”

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 03:27:53 AM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

blumenkraft

« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2019, 04:25:23 PM »

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 05, 2019, 06:51:47 PM »
A thought, a view:
The trend in cost-cutting, where companies go far beyond moral limits, says there are no limits. The management of fossil fuel companies, agri-business, gene-editing companies, earlier the tobacco business, mining, silicon valley etc. are metaphorically morally speaking in the deepest pit of hell but they are champions there! They think they are really successful. They have a lot of possessions and status but they destroy all life. With cooperation from many of the politicians (corruption).

As an analogy: In "The Neverending Story" they are "the Nothing". Ending the story (of humans).

It is total insanity and these are smart people.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2019, 11:01:24 PM »
For those who get tired of killing iguanas ...

The War On Pythons: Florida Gov. DeSantis Steps Up the Fight
https://phys.org/news/2019-08-war-pythons-florida-gov-desantis.html

Gov. Ron DeSantis said the state has worked out a plan with the federal government to allow hunters greater access to Big Cypress National Preserve in the western Everglades. He said state agencies have agreed on a plan to fight the pythons in state parks and are working with local governments to remove them from locally owned land. And he said there will be annual Python Challenge contests to catch the most pythons.

--------------------

See also: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whacking_Day

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2019, 12:41:48 PM »
There have been an attempt or two recently to bend this forum to a more climate activist stance. Fortunately, IMHO, failed.

A recent post on SkepticalScience says there are at least 175 US-based organisations doing the the climate change activism thing. and here are the links.

The choice is yours - if you want one.

https://skepticalscience.com/2019-SkS-Weekly-News-Roundup_29.html   
2019 SkS Weekly Climate Change & Global Warming News Roundup #29
Posted on 20 July 2019 by John Hartz
A Climate Action for Every Type of Activist
No matter your age, gender, race, or political ideology, there are ways to fight climate change that fit your life and values.

The U.S. Climate Action Network lists more than 175 member organizations, which are activist groups working through energy policy to fight climate change. And that doesn’t include all of the environmental groups out there. So you have lots of options for getting involved.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2019, 05:22:43 PM »
Chicago Water Pollution Keeping Invasive Silver Carp Out of Great Lakes
https://phys.org/news/2019-08-chicago-pollution-invasive-silver-carp.html

Invasive silver carp have been moving north toward the Great Lakes since their accidental release in the 1970s. The large filter-feeding fish, which are known to jump from the water and wallop anglers, threaten aquatic food webs as well as the $7 billion Great Lakes fishery. But, for the past decade, the invading front hasn't moved past Kankakee. A new study, led by scientists at the University of Illinois, suggests that Chicago's water pollution may be a contributing to this lack of upstream movement.

"It's a really toxic soup coming down from the Chicago Area Waterway, but a lot of those chemicals go away near Kankakee. They might degrade or settle out, or the Kankakee River might dilute them. We don't really know what happens, but there's a stark change in water quality at that point. That's right where the invading front stops," says Cory Suski, associate professor in the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences and co-author of the study. "And this fish never stops for anything."

... "We saw huge differences in gene expression patterns between the Kankakee fish and the two downstream populations," Suski explains. "Fish near Kankakee were turning on genes associated with clearing out toxins and turning off genes related to DNA repair and protective measures. Basically, their livers are working overtime and detoxifying pathways are extremely active, which seem to be occurring at the cost of their own repair mechanisms. We didn't see that in either of the downstream populations." 

... Right now, it's a black box—the USGS study documented approximately 280 chemicals in the Chicago Area Waterway and downstream sites.

Regardless of which specific pollutants may be responsible for stopping silver carp—if that hypothesis is later proven—the results could have interesting implications for management.

Jennifer D. Jeffrey et al, Physiological status of silver carp (Hypophthalmichthys molitrix) in the Illinois River: An assessment of fish at the leading edge of the invasion front, Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part D: Genomics and Proteomics (2019)

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2019, 03:06:49 AM »
Karma's a bitch ...

Angry Mob Attacks Men for Killing an Endangered Bird in Germany
https://m.dw.com/en/angry-mob-attacks-men-for-killing-an-endangered-bird-in-germany/a-49988190

... Two German men allegedly beat a rare capercaillie to death with a bottle on Saturday afternoon, while making their way home from a party, police in the town of Titisee-Neustadt said on Sunday. The men said the bird had threatened them and they merely defended themselves.

... Onlookers, however, were enraged and attacked the men, according to a report released by the police. The angry crowd beat the suspected bird killers and poured beer over them, before detaining the two until police arrived.

... The capercaillie is at risk of extinction in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.

Encounters with humans are not uncommon in hilly regions where the birds live and the males are known to be very territorial.

----------------------

Sounds like wild turkeys in our area.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2019, 03:13:22 AM »
And the bitch hurts.... good beating....

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2019, 03:19:16 AM »
 ??? :D For once I agree with the mob. The bird threatened them -- doucebags!

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2019, 07:36:30 PM »
Some people don´t breathe but just steal oxygen.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2019, 10:34:24 AM »
Organic Apples Host Beneficial Bacteria

Research recently published in Frontiers in Microbiology found that organic and conventional store-bought apples are more different than you might think. There are noticeable differences in size and taste between the two, but they also house very different populations of microorganisms: something that has the potential to influence your health.

Both organic and conventional store-bought apples, at a 240-gram weight, were estimated to feature roughly 100-million bacteria. They are everywhere—the skin, pulp, and seeds. The difference—which was stark—was the type of organisms they found.

The organic apples had a much more distinct and diverse microbial population than conventionally grown apples. Researchers said harmful bacteria was found in conventional apples. However, none were found in organic varieties. Further, organic apples were high in healthful, probiotic microorganisms and were absent in conventional apples.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/organic-apples-host-beneficial-bacteria_3035557.html
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2019, 11:06:39 AM »
Thank you for the eye-opener kassy. Very interesting and significant I think.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2019, 05:30:12 PM »
Thank you for the eye-opener kassy. Very interesting and significant I think.

Indeed.  I tend to be mildly skeptical of purported health benefits of "organic" produce.  But this sounds persuasive, at least for apples.  So I tracked down the actual research article.

An Apple a Day: Which Bacteria Do We Eat With Organic and Conventional Apples?
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2019.01629/full

Strictly speaking, they only studied "the cultivar “Arlet” was selected. Both the organically and the conventionally produced apples were cultivated in Styria (Austria) under AMAG.A.P. Certification."

So Neven can personally benefit with confidence.  The rest of us can reasonably rely on the findings likely being generalizable to other cultivars.  I am still skeptical, however, that US "organic" designation is comparable to the Austrian definition.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2019, 06:31:29 PM »
I don't know the quality control in the U.S.A. of organic produce, but it is hard to deny the positives of having your produce not sprayed with Monsanto chemicals.

FrostKing70

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2019, 07:49:39 PM »
I think I will buy some apple trees for the back yard!

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »
Albino Lizards are World's First Gene-Edited Reptiles
https://phys.org/news/2019-08-albino-lizards-world-gene-edited-reptiles.html

Meet the world's first gene-edited reptiles: albino lizards roughly the size of your index finger. Researchers used CRISPR-Cas9 to make the lizards, providing a technique for gene editing outside of major animal models. In their study, publishing August 27 in the journal Cell Reports, the researchers also show that the lizards can successfully pass gene-edited alleles for albinism to their offspring.

... "Relative to the very established model systems that can have efficiencies up to 80% or higher, 6% seems low, but no one has been able to do these sorts of manipulations in any reptile before," Menke says. "There's not a large community of developmental geneticists that are studying reptiles, so we're hoping to tap into exciting functional biology that has been unexplored."

Cell Reports, Rasys et al.: "CRISPR-Cas9 Gene Editing in Lizards Through Microinjection of Unfertilized Oocytes"

--------------------

Next Experiment:

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2019, 12:32:53 PM »
Angry Rhino Flips Car at German Safari Park
https://m.dw.com/en/angry-rhino-flips-car-at-german-safari-park/a-50189515

A rhinoceros at the German safari Serengeti Park attacked an animal keeper in her car, overturning the vehicle three times, the park confirmed Tuesday

It's unclear what enraged Kusini, who had been living in the park for the past 18 months and was still acclimating to his new surroundings, Sepe said.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2019, 01:01:50 AM »
Brain Waves Detected in Mini-Brains Grown in a Dish
https://phys.org/news/2019-08-brain-mini-brains-grown-dish.html

Machine Learning Algorithm Can't Distinguish Lab Mini-Brains from Preemie Babies
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-08-machine-algorithm-distinguish-lab-mini-brains.html

Scientists have created miniature brains from stem cells that developed functional neural networks. Despite being a million times smaller than human brains, these lab-grown brains are the first observed to produce brain waves that resemble those of preterm babies. The study, published August 29 in the journal Cell Stem Cell, could help scientists better understand human brain development.

The electrical impulse pattern for nine-month-old brain organoids revealed similar features to those of a premature infant who had reached full-term (40 weeks gestation).

In the latest study, Muotri and colleagues optimized every step of brain organoid construction. For example, they started from single cells, rather than the clumps of cells used in most protocols. They also tweaked the precise timing and concentration of factors added to prompt brain cell organization. There wasn't a single secret ingredient or innovation, he said, but rather several improvements over time.

The optimization paid off in terms of cellular diversity and cellular network activity. For example, the team detected a particular primate-specific neuron, called a cortical GABAergic neuron, that had never before been generated in a lab dish. According to Muotri, these cells are important players in the sophistication of neural networks.

To measure cellular network activity, the researchers grew their newly optimized brain organoids on multi-electrode arrays. The electrodes capture and record electrical impulses, which appear as patterns of waves and spikes in an EEG read-out. With the new protocol, the brain organoids went from producing 3,000 spikes per minute to 300,000 spikes per minute.

To compare the brain wave patterns of organoids with those of human brains early in development, the team trained a machine learning algorithm with brain waves recorded from 39 premature babies between six and nine-and-a-half months old. The algorithm was able to predict how many weeks the organoids have developed in culture, which suggests these organoids and human brain share a similar growth trajectory.

Open Access: Trujillo, Gao, and Negraes et al.: "Complex oscillatory waves emerging from cortical organoids model early human brain network development", Cell Stem Cell

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2019, 02:37:18 AM »
Of what species were the 40 week & 9.5 month old prematures babies? ::)
Tery

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2019, 02:44:01 AM »
Human

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2019, 03:03:09 AM »
Human
Human preemies at 9.5 months?

What am I missing.
Terry

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2019, 03:17:11 AM »
I think the sentence your referring to is ...

.... 39 premature babies between six and nine-and-a-half months old

which qualifies as premature (not so much over 9 months)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2019, 03:37:32 AM »
I think the sentence your referring to is ...

.... 39 premature babies between six and nine-and-a-half months old

which qualifies as premature (not so much over 9 months)
'Tis indeed the 2nd figure that gives me pause. :)
Terry

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2019, 10:48:01 AM »
Premature baby, born at 7 months for example, grows to be 9.5 months?

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 02, 2019, 04:40:13 PM »
Psychologists Define the 'Dark Core of Personality'
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-09-psychologists-dark-core-personality.html

Egoism, Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, sadism, spitefulness and others are among the traits of the malevolent side of human personality. As results from a recently published German-Danish research project show, these traits share a common "dark core." People with one of these tendencies are also likely to have one or more of the others.

... Although at first glance, there appear to be noteworthy differences between these traits—and it may seem more "acceptable" to be an egoist than a psychopath—new research shows that all dark aspects of human personality are very closely linked and are based on the same tendency. That is, most dark traits can be understood as flavoured manifestations of a single common underlying disposition: The dark core of personality. In practice, this implies that if you have a tendency to show one of these dark personality traits, you are also more likely to have a strong tendency to display one or more of the others.

As the new research reveals, the common denominator of all dark traits, the D-factor, can be defined as:

... the general tendency to maximize one's individual utility—disregarding, accepting or malevolently provoking disutility for others—accompanied by beliefs that serve as justifications

In other words, all dark traits can be traced back to the general tendency of placing one's own goals and interests over those of others, even to the extent of taking pleasure in hurting others—along with a host of beliefs that serve as justifications and thus prevent feelings of guilt, shame or regret. The research shows that dark traits in general can be understood as instances of this common core—although they may differ in which aspects are predominant (e.g., the justifications aspect is very strong in narcissism, whereas the aspect of malevolently provoking disutility is the main feature of sadism) .

Nine of the most commonly studied dark personality traits:

- Egoism: an excessive preoccupation with one's own advantage at the expense of others and the community
- Machiavellianism: a manipulative, callous attitude and a belief that the ends justify the means
- Moral disengagement: cognitive processing style that allows behaving unethically without feeling distress
- Narcissism: excessive self-absorption, a sense of superiority, and an extreme need for attention from others
- Psychological entitlement: a recurring belief that one is better than others and deserves better treatment
- Psychopathy: lack of empathy and self-control, combined with impulsive behaviour
- Sadism: a desire to inflict mental or physical harm on others for one's own pleasure or to benefit oneself
- Self-interest: a desire to advance and highlight one's own social and financial status
- Spitefulness: destructiveness and willingness to cause harm to others, even if one harms oneself in the process

Morten Moshagen et al, The dark core of personality., Psychological Review (2018)

----------------------

Sound familiar?

----------------------

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 02, 2019, 06:25:37 PM »
Thank you vox for that very interesting post.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2019, 01:15:06 AM »
The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything, Finally Cracked
https://gizmodo.com/the-answer-to-life-the-universe-and-everything-final-1837941162
https://phys.org/news/2019-09-sum-cubes-solvedusing-real-life.html

We all know that 42 is the answer to life, the universe, and everything, thanks to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

Now we know the question.

It’s the sum of three cubes.

The original problem, set in 1954 at the University of Cambridge, looked for Solutions of the Diophantine Equation x3+y3+z3=k, with k being all the numbers from one to 100.

Mathematicians had found x, y, and, z for almost all numbers less than 100. Forty-two was the last number without a proven solution—until now.

Researchers Andrew Sutherland at MIT and Andrew Booker at the University of Bristol in the United Kingdom found the result using over a million hours of computing time on the Charity Engine, according to a press release. The Charity Engine is a computing platform that takes unused processing power from 500,000 home computers to produce a kind of world-wide supercomputer.

And as it appears on Booker’s and Sutherland’s homepages:

Deep Thought: ... the answer to the life, the universe, and everything is ...

(-80538738812075974)^3 + 80435758145817515^3 + 12602123297335631^3 = 42

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2019, 11:03:59 AM »

Deep Thought: ... the answer to the life, the universe, and everything is ...

(-80538738812075974)^3 + 80435758145817515^3 + 12602123297335631^3 = 42

Oh, dear.  Now the earth's purpose is complete, and will be promptly scrapped.  The dolphins will evacuate, the mice will exit into pan-dimensional hyperspace, and the Vogon fleet is at our doorstep.

So much for my hopes of converting to BEV an old Ford Prefect.

blumenkraft

« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2019, 11:32:41 AM »
Thanks for all the fish!

johnm33

« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2019, 11:57:37 AM »
" the earth's purpose is complete"
Until the sun sends us the bill everything will be ok.
Plus a little confimation bias, http://mtkass.blogspot.com/2019/08/arctic-storms.html storms [lows] centered on the pole accelerate ice/surface water, relative to the rotating frame, which must then move south, coinciding with tidal forcing of Atl. waters through to St. Anna trough and thus across to Lomonosov would cause serious upwelling of warm waters, but even this late in the season not enough to cause more than temporary melt, that may change.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2019, 09:25:56 PM »
I would love to know if Douglas Adams actually knew about this problem.

42 is also the sum of the dice sides times two.

And a pair of dice is close to paradise in word meaning so this is probably still the easier explanation.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »
Free India Of Water Crisis
Cauvery Calling

Action Now

more

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 13, 2019, 07:08:47 PM »
The Framework :: Involvement : Process Oriented

Are politicians corrupt?

Rally For Life

<  >

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »
I don't know where to post these sounds of the forest. A very good friend of mine have done some videos from his visit to my place last July. He likes showing nature to city's people. At least one of his books is well recommended in different universities (Etologia del lobo y del perro)(https://www.todostuslibros.com/autor/nieto-macein-david)
These are kind of 'easy videos', not professional work, but maybe some would find them interesting.
Translation:
Zorzal=Thrush ;    Curruca c.=Sylvia atricapilla= Eurasian Blackcap ;  Chochín=Troglodytes troglodytes=wern ; 
Mito=Aegithalos caudatus=long-tailed tit ;  Pollos=chicks
Constant noise of water (I'm close to a creek), very complex songs from the thrushes, and the 'orbayu' the very common misty rain that we enjoy.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2019, 12:24:30 AM »
The Climate Disaster Inside America’s Prisons
https://newrepublic.com/article/155092/climate-disaster-inside-americas-prisons
Global warming far and away is the most pressing issue facing the United States (and the rest of the planet). The fast-approaching climate reckoning is bigger than the presidential election, bigger than our imperialist forever wars, bigger even than the virulent fascist threat that’s taken root in the White House and spread its tendrils across the globe. It is no longer an exaggeration to say that the world is dying. Time is running out to pull back from the point of no return before it swallows us all whole.
For millions of Americans, that point is already here—and unlike the majority of people, they have no way to escape its horrors. When natural disasters hit, incarcerated people are often the first to be abandoned; as the climate crisis worsens, so will their suffering. The specter of climate change is a hazardous fact of life for the prisoners forced to labor in sweltering Texas fields, the ones fighting wildfires for pennies in California, and those recently left trapped in the path of Hurricane Dorian when South Carolina prison officials declined to evacuate them ahead of the storm.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 03, 2019, 07:19:29 PM »
Golden Ratio Observed in Human Skulls
https://phys.org/news/2019-10-golden-ratio-human-skulls.html

In a new study investigating whether skull shape follows the Golden Ratio (1.61803398875 … ), Johns Hopkins researchers compared 100 human skulls to 70 skulls from six other animals, and found that the human skull dimensions followed the Golden Ratio. The skulls of less related species such as dogs, two kinds of monkeys, rabbits, lions and tigers, however, diverged from this ratio.

Rafael J. Tamargo et al. Mammalian Skull Dimensions and the Golden Ratio (Φ), Journal of Craniofacial Surgery (2019)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2019, 09:44:22 AM »
There is No Planet B

Sadhguru SadhguruJV 21h21 hours ago:
Even to think of a Planet B is shameful. Even if there is a Planet B, we should never step on it because of what we have done to Planet A. Reducing human population should become a priority for world leaders. -Sg @PrakashJavdekar @UNCCD #CauveryCalling

"There is No Planet B" streamed live on Oct 3, 2019, World Economic Forum.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2019, 10:45:18 AM »
Cauvery Calling Karma
(think karma vs actions as climate vs weather, tendencies)

12 years long commitment, economic plan with ecological impact, obliterating caste, religion, political differencies: Together we can do what no single government can do.

Media Coverage: Print 1300+, Television 800+, Media interactions 200+.

How to Be Part of the Solution? Fundraising platforms: donate trees to Cauvery on existing platform or open your own.

Inspiring Story of Agroforestry Farmer Earning 1 Crore

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2019, 06:16:31 PM »
ivica

Is it possible to wear a motorcycle helmet over a turban, or does one wrap the turban over the helmet?
Terry :)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 12, 2019, 06:28:13 PM »
TerryM, i don't have motorbike, i don't have helmet, heck i do not even have turban. Perhaps you can do experiment and report finding . ;) .

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2019, 06:43:29 PM »
I'll do it ivica. We've a Liberal MP with a turban that I run into occasionally. Not sure that he ever rode a bike, but I bet he knows the answer. :)
Terry

philopek

« Reply #194 on: October 12, 2019, 08:40:34 PM »
I'll do it ivica. We've a Liberal MP with a turban that I run into occasionally. Not sure that he ever rode a bike, but I bet he knows the answer.
Terry

What about a "carbon-turban" perhaps even a business idea ;) ;)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2019, 12:36:38 AM »
phil
My understanding is that some theology(s?) require some males to wrap a turban about their head at some times &/or on some occasions, &/or in some locations -  and I don't want to brush these under the rug since a properly fitted turban should aleviate any need for wearing a rug.
 My own languidly grasped theology requests the wearing of a Traditional Tin Colander only on such occasions when it is felt that donning the Divine Device will cause discomfort to Theologists, Licensing Photographers, Lawyers & Lawmakers. The wearing of the TTC is "Always Admired, but Never Required".TM

We believe that allowing our pate to be Directly & Divinely Enwrapped by His Noodley Appendage while Enraptured, then toweling off and disposing of any Divinely Deposited Wholly Cheesy Sauce is certainly more Symbolically Sanitary than wearing a Symbolically Saturated Saucy Towel while amongst the Pagan Public. Single Service Paper Towels serve to remind The Faithful of the Glorious Piracy of Lumber Barons, whose lifestyle many of our Pirate Prophets Aspired Too Emulate.

Paper Towels/Turbans it should be noted could sequester carbon for long periods if they were but properly preserved and venerated as the sacred relics that they certainly represent, at least among those estranged from the FSM.

'Pastafarian' Photographed in Driver's License Wearing ...

Raman
Terry

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2019, 02:42:37 PM »
Some excerpts from "How to Be Part of the Solution?" video given previously:

...slowly we turned the mindset around in the last 3 years... that ...it is not necessary to have a billion dollar research and everything, it is simply by observing nature we can replicate the same things effortlessly, so this turnaround of mindset is the biggest achievement of Rally For Rivers.

...we (isha-outreach) got acredition from UNCCD.

...I thought the government will be the biggest challenge... but we crossed that threshold ...it took almost 2 years of relentless pursuit.

...Cauvery is very important because it is demonstratable model for the rest of the tropical world...

Fundraising platforms.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 15, 2019, 12:00:56 PM »
Intelligence of Ignorance
(Longing to Know)

What i know, i know
what i do not know, i do not know
i have no reason to believe
i have no reason to disbelieve
i can enjoy it all
while longing to know.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2019, 12:24:38 AM »
The Giant Geode of Pulpí
https://phys.org/news/2019-10-giant-geode-pulp237.html

The geode of Pulpí is an 11-meter hollow ovoid with crystal-paneled walls. It is like those familiar couplets of stone interiors covered with bright crystallites, but so large that several people can fit inside. The crystals, of up to two meters in size, are so transparent that they look like ice crystals. In this paper for Geology, Juan Manuel García-Ruiz and colleagues reveal the geological history that ended with the formation of the Pulpí geode.

Like the giant crystals of Naica in Mexico (see the 2007 Geology article by García-Ruiz and colleagues at https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/gsa/geology/article/35/4/327/129804/  ), the crystals of Pulpí are gypsum (calcium sulfate with two water molecules).

Because of their purity, the crystals forming the geode cannot be dated precisely. But indirect constraint can be done: "They grew for sure after the desiccation of the Mediterranean Sea that occurred 5.6 million years ago. They are most probably younger than two million years but older than 60.000 years because this is the age of the carbonate crust coating one of the large gypsum crystal," says García-Ruiz.

https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/gsa/geology/article/doi/10.1130/G46734.1/574380/The-origin-of-large-gypsum-crystals-in-the-Geode