Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Heatwaves  (Read 268647 times)

b_lumenkraft

Re: Heatwaves
« Reply #150 on: June 18, 2019, 07:17:47 AM »
Can’t we all just agree that it is the guys fault for dying? >:(
Not to be dificult but I don't blame him.

SH was sarcastic i think.

No one here blames him (i hope).

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2019, 07:28:07 AM »
Not to be dificult but I don't blame him.

SH was sarcastic i think.

No one here blames him (i hope).

Oh ok

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2019, 01:28:05 PM »
Pretty sure what kills people is the wet bulb temperature, not the temperature in the sun. All they have to do in the latter is just to seek shade.

While you are "pretty sure", you are not really correct here. To determine heat stroke threat, the NWS uses the Heat Index, which is a regression that includes both temperature and relative humidity. It is distinct from a dewpoint calculation, see:

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/heatindex_equation.shtml

Hot and dry environments with a suitably high heat index would have a low dew point yet would still present a high heat stroke threat.

Some say wet bulb temperature is a more accurate way to measure temperature stress on the body than Heat Index. Wet bulb temperature is not the same as dew point, you can have different wet bulb temperatures for the same dew point. Military agencies, OSHA and many nations use the wet bulb temperature as a guide to managing workload in direct sunlight. https://www.weather.gov/ict/WBGT
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 01:36:46 PM by grixm »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2019, 01:58:58 PM »
2019 permafrost melt in Canada has reached expected 2090 levels already
"Researchers also recorded thawing at depths not expected until air temperatures rose to levels that the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) predicted it would reach in 2090." ...
https://mobile.twitter.com/starlight_energ/status/1140086653739868160
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2019, 02:08:28 PM »
"Faster Than Expected™ - Antarctic Melting Edition (continued) Antarctica is now losing ice six times faster than it was in 1979. Some terrific graphics, animations, imagery and video from @NASA and others in this recent @NewsHour segment: https://t.co/Yu9D3CRCMr"
https://mobile.twitter.com/davidlwindt/status/1121884760941498370

Remarkable. European weather model showed temperature over parts of Greenland peaked at 40 DEGREES above normal Wednesday. Melting observed on 45% of Greenland ice sheet that day, likely a record so early in season. More info on craziness in the Arctic: https://t.co/dQtwsjEURE https://t.co/iZLziUGs1N
https://mobile.twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1139579226993152000

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2019, 05:50:55 PM »
Not to be dificult but I don't blame him. I once was helping someone move the temperature was 43 C and we were moving them up two flights of stairs. After a bit everyone else left and I didn't even realize it. Apparently I was working alone for about an hour and half without rest or water. When they asked why I didn't take a break or stop I was confused by the question and couldn't answer. My ability to think was just gone. If someone hadn't stopped me when they did I probably would have died that day. Now I know I have to hydrate and rest on hot days before I feel I need a break.

On the second day out Sailing from Darwin Australia to Christmas Island (about 1400NM due West) the wind died entirely , no wind. This was unusual as the Historical piolet charts suggested a 85% east to south east wind.  The trades were gone and their we sat, at night one could see a strong glow of Orange to the North ..East Timor was on fire due to civil unrest.

We were about 11 deg south of the equator, the air was stagnant, the surface of the Ocean had turned milk white, sea snakes seemed common slithering across the surface.  The thermometer was pinned at above 110 deg F.  About the third day of this hellish nightmare we (my son and I) cocooned the aft portion of the vessel trying to keep the sun off of us. 

Their was most definitely some mental gymnastics going on …  after 30 min sitting on deck I would decide nothing could be as bad as this and go inside the vessel, 30 min later, I would decide nothing could be as bad as this and go back outside. I had thought about jumping into the water to cool off, but the water seemed so uninviting.

Weather forecasting out of Guam was gone likely due to conditions in the Atmosphere D layer which propagate single bounce.  We were out of range of VHF weather forecasting from Australia and high seas marine weather forecasting transmitted  from Diego Garcia was absent.  On and on this went for 12 days, my son , half my age seemed to handle this better, less agitated he was.

I left the SSB on the 8meg band during the day and 14meg band evening and night.
Eventually we picked up vessel chatter some 800NM west. They suggested there was wind 300 NM west of our position, I had fuel for 600 NM in flat water.  Normally rule no 1 was- do not start engine without enough fuel to reach destination-.  The HEAT was horrible with no relief on board, no refrigeration… I'm sure I was slightly delirious, even desperate because I did start the engine and motored for three days at 5 knts.

I cannot express in words how we felt when the wind came, the sails fluttered and snapped full…this hellish nightmare was over.  Without some kind of protection from the heat at the very least cool or cold liquids one's mental capacity drops off rapidly.

Tom_Mazanec

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:10:14 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2019, 08:26:50 PM »
High Temperature Records Will Be 'Smashed' in Coming Century
https://phys.org/news/2019-06-high-temperature-century.html
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-01891-3

Climate change will cause some regions of the world to "smash" high temperature records every year in the coming century, researchers warn. That will push "ecosystems and communities beyond their ability to cope," according to the authors of the study published online June 17 in Nature Climate Change.

The researchers used 22 climate models to forecast future summer temperatures. They determined that by the end of the 21st century, temperature events "will be so extreme that they will not have been experienced previously."

High monthly mean temperature records will be set in 58 percent of the world every year, with the greatest impact in developing countries and small island nations, according to the researchers. The highest monthly mean temperature records will occur in 67 percent of the least developed countries and 68 percent of small island developing states.

Maps indicating the number of high monthly records set per decade during the period 2070–2099.

Scott B. Power et al. Setting and smashing extreme temperature records over the coming century, Nature Climate Change (2019)
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2019, 10:40:31 PM »
High Temperature Records Will Be 'Smashed' in Coming Century
https://phys.org/news/2019-06-high-temperature-century.html

Climate change will cause some regions of the world to "smash" high temperature records every year in the coming century, researchers warn. That will push "ecosystems and communities beyond their ability to cope," according to the authors of the study published online June 17 in Nature Climate Change.

The researchers used 22 climate models to forecast future summer temperatures. They determined that by the end of the 21st century, temperature events "will be so extreme that they will not have been experienced previously."

High monthly mean temperature records will be set in 58 percent of the world every year, with the greatest impact in developing countries and small island nations, according to the researchers. The highest monthly mean temperature records will occur in 67 percent of the least developed countries and 68 percent of small island developing states.

Maps indicating the number of high monthly records set per decade during the period 2070–2099.

Scott B. Power et al. Setting and smashing extreme temperature records over the coming century, Nature Climate Change (2019)
It is hard to take these studies seriously when they all but ignore the input of increasing springtime SWE melt and Greenland mass wasting / snow melt. I see the little blip in the NATL but seriously, we are already witnessing much more severe effects over a very wide area, and by the 2070s it would be exceedingly difficult to imagine the impacts are not exponentially more severe given the expected situation re: Greenland wasting.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2019, 11:41:07 PM »
A record number of records is a statistical slam dunk.

Just wait till it's a record number of record number of records.

Heat to smash records every year:

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2019, 04:59:07 PM »
On the second day out Sailing from Darwin Australia to Christmas Island (about 1400NM due West) the wind died entirely , no wind.
Wow, that sounds like a trip from hell.

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2019, 05:39:43 PM »
It truly was a trip through hell....I disdain the storms but the calms & heat rob me of my spirt.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2019, 06:19:35 PM »
I'm glad it turned out well, Bligh8!

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2019, 06:57:08 PM »
Bligh8,
Yes, thanks for that story.  Matt Rutherford, when crossing the Equator going south in the Pacific (as I recall) used a bunch of his diesel to get through the doldrums (or near them), and his goal was Maryland (via Cape Horn).  [See his November 26, 2011 (heading south) and January 10, 2012 (going north) posts, + and -.]  He made it all the way around the Americas, by the way!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Tom_Mazanec

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 07:22:36 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2019, 07:07:02 PM »
Thanks for the thoughtful replies.....  The one thing I had not thought of was the 98/99 El-nino and how it may have effected the trades in the Timor sea and NE regions of the Southern Indian Ocean.
From my ships log...we drifted west 20-30 miles every day, even across the gulf of Carpentaria there was no apparent shift in tide direction, it was always West. 

Tor B .. Thanks for the links!

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2019, 08:57:30 PM »
"Recent scorching temperatures in Kuwait and Pakistan confirmed as third and fourth hottest on Earth".

It hit 129 degrees (53.9 Celsius, plus or minus 0.1 degrees uncertainty) in Mitribah, Kuwait, on July 21, 2016, and 128.7 degrees (53.7 Celsius, plus or minus 0.4 degrees uncertainty) in Turbat, Pakistan, on May 28, 2017.

“The Mitribah, Kuwait temperature is now accepted by the WMO as the highest temperature ever recorded for the continental region of Asia,” the organization wrote in a statement. It continued, “The two observations are the third (tied within uncertainty limits) and fourth highest WMO-recognized temperature extremes.”

Notably, the WMO list of highest global temperatures does not include a 129.2 degree temperature (54.0 Celsius) recorded in Furnace Creek at Death Valley, Calif., on June 30, 2013. But there is a reason.

That location was even hotter in 1913 when it reportedly hit 134 degrees (56.7 Celsius). This temperature is recognized as the hottest recorded on Earth. But some experts question its validity.

It is a similar story for the planet’s second-highest recognized temperature, which is 131 degrees (55.0 Celsius) from Kebili, Tunisia, set July 7, 1931, which also is Africa’s hottest temperature. This record has “serious credibility issues,” according to Christopher C. Burt, an expert on extreme weather data.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/06/18/recent-scorching-temperatures-kuwait-pakistan-confirmed-third-fourth-hottest-measured-earth/?utm_term=.89a064c0b701&wpisrc=nl_green&wpmm=1
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2019, 09:33:06 PM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/20/world/chennai-satellite-images-reservoirs-water-crisis-trnd/index.html

Chennai, India, is almost out of water. Satellite images show its nearly bone-dry reservoirs

(CNN)Very little rain, recent scorching temperatures and a late monsoon season are being blamed for the water shortage in India's sixth-largest city, with nearly 5 million residents.

Chennai's water supply comes from four reservoirs, all of which are almost completely dry because the monsoon rain that replenishes them has not come on time. Satellite imagery is making very clear just how low their reservoirs are.
Lake Puzhal, the city's largest, is the large body of water in the satellite image from Maxar below. On June 15, 2018, it was full of blue water.

One year later, the reservoir has been reduced to an almost completely dry lake bed.
Aerial video from a passenger plane shows the dusty lake bed now. Srini Swaminathan took the video of Lake Puzhal as he left Chennai on a flight.
"I intentionally paid for and chose a window seat to see the drought situation of my city from above," he told CNN.

Comparing more satellite imagery from Maxar shows just how much the water level has dropped in the last two months. The video and imagery above show's that there's barely any water in Lake Puzhal.

But just two months earlier, there was still some water left.

The reservoir's water supply dramatically shrank between June 15, 2018 and April 6, 2019. Since then, it's barely even a body of water.
The same is true further south in the smaller reservoir of Lake Chembarambakkam. It, too, is also dried up.

Only the deepest parts of the lake bottom hold water.
More satellite imagery from Planet Labs, Inc. shows Lake Chembarambakkam slowly drying up.

From February to June of this year, more and more of the lake bed turned to dust.
With the reservoirs dwindling, Chennai residents are being forced to find water. Richer residents and businesses are having water trucked in from nearby provinces.

Anyone who can't afford those deliveries is forced to find, and wait with buckets, for their rationed amount from state water trucks.

Any rain is a blessing for Chennai residents, and they got a little shower on Thursday -- roughly 1.14 inches of rain fell.
While it isn't enough to alleviate the water crisis, it is a hopeful sign that the monsoon rains are beginning.

prokaryotes

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Climate State
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2019, 09:39:11 PM »
Srini Swaminathan took the video of Lake Puzhal as he left Chennai on a flight.
"I intentionally paid for and chose a window seat to see the drought situation of my city from above," he told CNN.

Some more context, though
The drought, which officials say is worse than the 1972 famine [..] The village of Hatkarwadi, about 20 miles from Beed in Maharashtra state, is almost completely deserted.
[..] Groundwater, the source of 40% of India’s water needs, is depleting at an unsustainable rate, Niti Aayog, a governmental thinktank, said in a 2018 report. Twenty-one Indian cities – including Delhi, Bengaluru, Chennai and Hyderabad – are expected to run out of groundwater by 2020, and 40% of India’s population will have no access to drinking water by 2030, the report said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/12/indian-villages-lie-empty-as-drought-forces-thousands-to-flee

From a 2017 news article..
Chennai's Drinking Water Cut By Half Amid Worst Drought In 140 Years
https://www.ndtv.com/chennai-news/chennai-turns-dry-as-worst-drought-in-140-years-hits-tamil-nadu-1717014

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2019, 05:30:00 AM »
Record breaking heat wave hits the Arctic Alaska coast at Utqiagvik- well over 22 degrees!

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
Some more context, though
The drought, which officials say is worse than the 1972 famine [..] The village of Hatkarwadi, about 20 miles from Beed in Maharashtra state, is almost completely deserted.
[..] Groundwater, the source of 40% of India’s water needs, is depleting at an unsustainable rate, Niti Aayog, a governmental thinktank, said in a 2018 report. Twenty-one Indian cities – including Delhi, Bengaluru, Chennai and Hyderabad – are expected to run out of groundwater by 2020, and 40% of India’s population will have no access to drinking water by 2030, the report said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/12/indian-villages-lie-empty-as-drought-forces-thousands-to-flee

Probably India in the near future will become the country with the worst environment. The largest population and the main engine of world production and consumption of the most non-ecological fuel (coal). In the future, the situation will worsen as groundwater is depleted and glaciers disappear in the Himalayas.

And in the end, India has one of the largest nuclear arsenals.

Explosive mixture.

For example, recently India has become the world leader in sulfide emissions (ahead of China).

https://so2.gsfc.nasa.gov/kml/OMI_Annual_EMI_AMF_Summary_2005-2018.pdf

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2019, 11:05:36 AM »
Looks like Europe will get hammered next week.

Gray-Wolf

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2019, 12:52:36 PM »
Hi Grixm!

It's not just the temps though!

In the UK we already have storm forecasts out for the period?

Seeing as NW Europe ( from Ireland through to east Germany and the North of Italy) is ground zero for funnel cloud formation I have always worried that 'steeping up' the energy in the atmosphere will allow more and more of the funnels to touch down?

Tornados are impossible to see in the Paleo record so we just do not know if in past epochs where temps were similar we did see such in our region?

Even though most structures are solid brick/concrete there is still a large potential for injury/loss of life from glass/debris should an F3 ,or above?, hit major population areas?

Anyhow, apart from flooding , giant hail and lightning strikes I will be looking out for reports of funnel cloud/tornado events.

Already I've heard one agency moot issuing a tornado warning for Wiltshire on Tuesday!!!

Time alone will tell the tale!

KOYAANISQATSI

ko.yaa.nis.katsi (from the Hopi language), n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance. 5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

VIRESCIT VULNERE VIRTUS

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2019, 01:20:39 PM »
Kees van der Leun: "India: Look at that temperature jump over the last 2 years. That's massive, for such a large country!...”
https://mobile.twitter.com/sustainable2050/status/1141433731586154497
Data from the India government

RikW

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2019, 05:06:27 PM »
Hi Grixm!

It's not just the temps though!

In the UK we already have storm forecasts out for the period?

Seeing as NW Europe ( from Ireland through to east Germany and the North of Italy) is ground zero for funnel cloud formation I have always worried that 'steeping up' the energy in the atmosphere will allow more and more of the funnels to touch down?

Tornados are impossible to see in the Paleo record so we just do not know if in past epochs where temps were similar we did see such in our region?

Even though most structures are solid brick/concrete there is still a large potential for injury/loss of life from glass/debris should an F3 ,or above?, hit major population areas?

Anyhow, apart from flooding , giant hail and lightning strikes I will be looking out for reports of funnel cloud/tornado events.

Already I've heard one agency moot issuing a tornado warning for Wiltshire on Tuesday!!!

Time alone will tell the tale!

We maybe/probably had 3 or 4 tornadoes hit the netherlands 2 weeks ago (missed the house of my parents in law by a ~500m's). Damage mostly trees, but more than the normal 'tornadoes' we have in the Netherlands

dollarbillronson

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2019, 05:23:17 PM »

Rich

« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2019, 05:55:36 PM »
Looks like Europe will get hammered next week.

Scheduled to hit mid 90's for 3 days in Brussels.

They'll survive.

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2019, 05:33:29 PM »
"Recent scorching temperatures in Kuwait and Pakistan confirmed as third and fourth hottest on Earth".

Notably, the WMO list of highest global temperatures does not include a 129.2 degree temperature (54.0 Celsius) recorded in Furnace Creek at Death Valley, Calif., on June 30, 2013. But there is a reason.

That location was even hotter in 1913 when it reportedly hit 134 degrees (56.7 Celsius). This temperature is recognized as the hottest recorded on Earth. But some experts question its validity.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/06/18/recent-scorching-temperatures-kuwait-pakistan-confirmed-third-fourth-hottest-measured-earth/?utm_term=.89a064c0b701&wpisrc=nl_green&wpmm=1
Just an informal heat record, but coming from an accredited newspaper in Mexico (original news in spanish, translated with "Google Translate"):
Researchers warn of high temperatures in Morelos ... up to 60 degrees Celsius!

Researchers from the Center for Biological Research (CIB) of the Autonomous University of the State of Morelos (UAEM), detected in the southern region of the state records of abnormal temperatures of up to 60 degrees Celsius, which, they said, already caused alterations in the habitat of the area.

The head of the educational program of the Master of Natural Resources of the CIB, Rubén Castro Franco, said that the main factors of these records are the extensive drought, the change of soil for the production of agave, the cutting of trees and climate change.

Regarding the logging, he accused that it was encouraged by the state government to allow the planting area of ​​the plant to increase.

"Even deforestation was favored by the government with programs that allowed the expansion of the agricultural frontier to plant, for example, the agave to produce tequila, which caused the loss of biodiversity," he explained.
https://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/nacional/alertan-investigadores-por-altas-temperaturas-en-morelos

Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2019, 03:55:58 PM »
Related, from the Drought thread:

"Each year, India’s June-to-September monsoon season is the most important weather event in the world. Hundreds of millions of people directly depend on the rains. This year, the rains are weeks behind schedule and 39% below normal. It’s a disaster in the making.”
https://mobile.twitter.com/ericholthaus/status/1142511152758493185
Image below.

Tom_Mazanec

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 06:48:37 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 27, 2019, 07:06:29 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/weather/2019/jun/26/europe-heatwave-cities-prepare-to-limit-effects-of-record-temperatures

In Germany, where the 38.6C recorded on Wednesday in Coschen, near the Polish border, exceeded the country’s previous June high, officials imposed a 120km/h speed limit on stretches of the Saxony-Anhalt autobahn as the road surface began to deteriorate, while rail tracks buckled near Rostock on the Baltic Sea.

Schools in parts of France, meanwhile – where an all-time heat record of 44.1C could be beaten on Friday – were expected to remain closed until the end of the week, while authorities in Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg and Marseille banned older cars from entering their city centres to combat pollution.

Regional Île-de-France authorities estimated the measure would affect nearly 60% of vehicles circulating around the French capital, including delivery vans and trucks, and many cars older than 10 years, which have higher emissions than newer models.

With temperatures in Milan forecast to hit 40C, charities were preparing to distribute 10,000 bottles of free water to the homeless and other people in need, while 33 of Spain’s 50 provinces will be facing record-breaking temperatures, which could reach 44C.

nnsbruck’s famous “fiaker” carriage horses were taken off the streets as the city recorded 36.7C, breaking the 2012 record for Tyrol state of 36.6C.

Three people, including two in their 70s, died in southern France after suffering heart attacks and other problems while swimming. French authorities have warned of the dangers of diving into cold water in very hot conditions, but there was no immediate confirmation the deaths were related to the heatwave.

In Poland, the interior ministry said 90 people have drowned so far this month trying to cool off in lakes or rivers, and in Lithuania 27 people were reported to have died in similar circumstances as temperatures in the Baltic state soared above 35C.

Strong winds and high temperatures helped fan a forest fire in Catalonia, in Spain, which destroyed some 2,500 hectares of land. Hundreds of firefighters and 14 water-dropping aircraft were battling the blaze on Wednesday night.

Scientists have said Europe’s 2019 heatwave, like last year’s, was closely linked to the climate emergency and that such extreme weather events will be many times more likely over the coming decades.

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 27, 2019, 07:17:27 AM »
In Clermont-Ferrand (France) yesterday was +40.9. According to Wikipedia, this is a station record for all time (since 1981).

Before the national record, only a few were enough.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/dangerous-extreme-heat-wave-tightens-grip-on-france-spain-and-other-parts-of-western-europe/70008660

The current national record high temperature for June stands at 41.5 C (106.7 F), registered near Narbonne in southern France in June 2003.

High temperatures may soar to 41 C (105 F) in parts of central and southern France on Thursday. Friday could be the hottest day of the week, as temperatures climb to near 42 C (107 F) across the interior of southeast France. AccuWeather RealFeel Temperatures may briefly climb above 43 C (110 F) in these locations when factoring in the combination of temperature, humidity and strong June sunshine.

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 27, 2019, 07:26:14 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/06/24/potentially-historic-deadly-early-summer-heat-wave-roast-europe-peaking-midweek

French meteorologist Gillaume Woznica tweeted Tuesday that the latest forecast leaves little doubt that France will set a new national heat record around 113 degrees (45 Celsius) on Friday, passing the old mark of 111 degrees (44.1 Celsius), set in 2003.

Farther northeast, Berlin is predicted to flirt with the century mark Thursday, while Potsdam is forecast to break its all-time record by 3.6 degrees (2 Celsius). In Switzerland, Geneva is expected to be around 98.6 degrees (37 Celsius) Wednesday and Thursday.

Even Copenhagen on the main island of Denmark is set to head into the 80s.

In addition to France, a list of June national records that may be broken includes Austria (101.5), Germany (101.3) and Switzerland (99.1), as well as several others in the region. Some all-time records, mostly set in July or August, may also be threatened.

In the United Kingdom and Ireland, temperatures are not forecast to be as intense as in the south, but some spots should see readings into the 80s, which is considerably above normal for the time of year. Farther east in southern Sweden, as well as neighboring Denmark, some spots could approach 90 degrees.

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2019, 07:27:32 AM »
https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Europe-Awaits-Record-Smashing-June-Heat-Wave

An unusually early heat wave
Much like the eastern U.S., Europe tends to get its hottest temperatures of the year later in the summer, in July and especially toward August. All-time national records, some of which may be challenged next week, include:

Austria: 40.5°C (104.9°F), August 8, 2013
Belgium: 38.8°C (101.8°F), July 2, 2015
Czech Republic: 40.4°C (104.7°F), August 20, 2012
Denmark: 36.4°C (97.5°F), August 10, 1975
France: 44.1°C (111.4°F), August 12, 2003
Germany: 40.3°C (104.5°F), July 5 and August 7, 2015
Liechtenstein: 37.4°C (99.3°F), August 13, 2003
Luxembourg: 39.9°C (103.8°F), August 8, 2003
Netherlands: 38.6°C (101.5°F), August 23, 1944
Switzerland: 39.7°C (103.5°F), July 7, 2015

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2019, 04:46:59 PM »
From a huge thermal differential began to explode the bombs of the Second World War.

https://www.dw.com/en/wwii-bomb-self-detonates-in-german-field-leaves-crater/a-49331435

WWII bomb self-detonates in German field, leaves crater
An aging chemical detonator caused a World War II bomb in western Germany to explode without an external trigger. The resulting crater had some residents mistaking the blast for a meteor.

A loud explosion in a field startled residents in the town of Limburg in western Germany on Sunday. The blast occurred in the middle of the night and was large enough to register a minor tremor of 1.7 on the Richter scale, according to local media.

No injuries were reported, but the mystery explosion left a crater that measured 10 meters (33 feet) wide and 4 meters deep.

Bomb specialists from the state of Hesse determined on Monday with "a probability bordering on certainty" that it was a WWII-era unexploded bomb that caused the blast.

Prior to the news release, residents were puzzled and confused by the crater, with some online speculating that it had been caused by a meteorite.

But Rüdiger Jehn, of the European Space Agency, told German newspaper Frankfurter Neue Presse that this was false. "A great deal of heat is released during an asteroid impact," the ESA expert said, adding that no evidence of heat or melting could be seen from the crater footage.

A rare self-detonation

The real culprit was an aerial bomb, which was buried at a depth of at least 4 meters, weighed 250 kilograms (550 pounds) and had a chemical detonator, investigators said. Authorities confirmed that the bomb had exploded by itself, without any external trigger.

Wolfgang Spyra, a professor and engineer at the Brandenburg University of Technology in Cottbus, told DW that a self-detonation of a WWII-era bomb is very rare in Germany and only occurs once or twice per year.

"In the case of bombs with chemical detonators, the materials of the detonator decompose over a long period of time," Spyra said. The decomposition of the detonator was the cause that authorities cited for the ignition.

Aging bombs a threat

Limburg city spokesman Johannes Laubach told German news service NTV that finding a WWII bomb in the area was not at all surprising. "A former railway depot made this area a bombing target at the end of the war," he explained.

WWII ended more than 70 years ago, yet finding unexploded bombs in Germany is still a frequent occurrence.

Two unexploded bombs were discovered on Monday in the central German town of Giessen, prompting the temporary evacuation of some 2,500 people. Earlier this month, an unexploded device was defused in a busy area of central Berlin.

"The most frequently found explosives are cluster bombs, air bombs and bombs with incendiary materials, such as white phosphorous," Spyra said.

He warned that as bombs age and decay, they become more dangerous. This applies to both chemical detonator bombs like the one found in Limburg and conventional bombs, which tend to experience long-term corrosion.

Over time "this corrosion process leads to the weakening of the safety mechanisms within the bombs," Spyra explained.

A spokesman for the arms and munitions disposal service for the cities of Cologne and Düsseldorf echoed Spyra's assessment, telling DW that unexploded bombs in the ground "will not become less dangerous over time."

Defusing bombs – is there a safer way?

"Changes such as corrosion are visible from the outside, but any changes within the explosive ordnance cannot be detected" as the bombs are exposed to environmental changes, the spokesman said.

Between 1940 and 1945, some 2.7 million tons of bombs were dropped on Europe by US and British forces and half of them landed in Germany. Half of those that were dropped on Germany landed in North Rhine-Westphalia, the country's most populous state today.

Of the roughly quarter million bombs that did not explode, thousands are still hidden underground all over Germany.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 04:52:27 PM by ArcticMelt2 »

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »
Because of these bombs and climate change, thousands of people could die. Photo of a crater from a bomb explosion:

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2019, 10:00:20 PM »
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/dangerous-extreme-heat-wave-tightens-grip-on-france-spain-and-other-parts-of-western-europe/70008660

The current national record high temperature for June stands at 41.5 C (106.7 F), registered near Narbonne in southern France in June 2003.

Today, France (like Germany yesterday) set a new national record for June.

https://twitter.com/GWoznica/status/1144275460370640896

[EN DIRECT] #Canicule : la T°C la + élevée cet après-midi a été relevée par Météo-France à #Grospierres (Ardèche), c'est un nouveau #record de #chaleur pour un mois de juin en France (ancien record : 41,5°C à Lézignan-Corbières le 21/06/2003) mais il sera battu dès demain ! @LCI

42,3°C, température la plus élevée aujourd’hui en France ! Et c’est à Grospierres, dans l’Ardèche

Pragma

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2019, 10:30:42 PM »
Because of these bombs and climate change, thousands of people could die. Photo of a crater from a bomb explosion:

This is so emblematic of the very dangerous game we are playing. What other types of well hidden bombs are we triggering, or will be triggering soon? 

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #188 on: June 28, 2019, 06:00:40 PM »
Paris: The temperature in France on Friday surpassed 45 degrees Celsius (113 degrees Fahrenheit) for the first time as Europe wilted in a major heatwave, state weather forecaster Meteo-France said.

The record was set in the village of Villevieille in the southern department of Gard, which registered a high of 45.1 degrees Celsius. The previous record stood at 44.1 degrees Celsius in the same area during the notorious August 2003 heatwave, Meteo-France told AFP.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/28/france-on-red-alert-as-heatwave-forecast-to-reach-record-45c

The World Meteorological Organisation in Geneva said 2019 was now firmly on course to be among the world’s hottest ever years and that 2015-2019 would then become the hottest five-year period on record.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 06:11:01 PM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 28, 2019, 06:13:54 PM »
The record was set in the village of Villevieille in the southern department of Gard, which registered a high of 45.1 degrees Celsius. The previous record stood at 44.1 degrees Celsius in the same area during the notorious August 2003 heatwave, Meteo-France told AFP.

This is a real disaster. France already set a national record in June. As however, the planet quickly heats up.

https://twitter.com/GWoznica

#CANICULE : 16h21, un moment historique en France ! La #température a atteint 45,9°C à Gallargues-le-Montueux, dans le #Gard : nouveau record absolu de #chaleur national (définitif). C’est d’autant plus exceptionnel que nous sommes en juin ! (1/2)

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 28, 2019, 06:19:44 PM »
The record heat caused a major fire.

⚠️🔥🌡🏆🔴 #CANICULE : 16h21, un moment historique en France ! La #température a atteint 45,9°C à Gallargues-le-Montueux, dans le #Gard : nouveau record absolu de #chaleur national (définitif). C’est d’autant plus exceptionnel que nous sommes en juin ! (1/2)

[DIRECT] #Canicule : plusieurs départs de #feux signalés dans le département du #Gard cet après-midi, à #Garons près de #Nîmes ou encore à #Vauvert (photo de Julien Noble à Vauvert pour la page facebook Feux de forêt - Gard)

Rich

« Reply #191 on: June 28, 2019, 06:34:12 PM »
Damn.. 45.9C in France !!!

That nearly 116F.

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2019, 06:40:47 PM »
https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/All-time-June-Heat-Records-Fall-5-European-Nations?cm_ven=cat6-widget

All-time June Heat Records Fall in 5 European Nations

Europe’s brutal June heat wave is less than half over, but all-time June national heat records have already fallen in five nations. Extreme heat is expected to last through Monday over portions of Western and Southern Europe, thanks to a “stuck” jet stream pattern that has allowed a hot airmass from the Sahara Desert to flow northwards into Europe.

Wednesday’s all-time June national heat records:

Poland, 38.2°C (100.8°F) at Radzyń; previous record 38.0°C in Wroclaw in 1935.
Czech Republic, 38.9°C (101.3°F) at Doksany; previous record 38.2°C at Brno in June 2000.
Germany, 38.6°C (101.5°F) at Coschen; previous record 38.5°C in June 1947.
Luxembourg, 36.8°C (98.2°F) at Petange; previous record 36.1°C on June 22, 2017.
Principality of Andorra, 37.8°C (100°F) at Borda Vidal; previous record 36.0°C in June 1935.

Update: an all-time June French national heat record of 42.3°C (108.1°F) was set at Gropsierres on Thursday. Previous record: 41.5°C (106.7°F), June 21, 2003.

Thanks go to Maximiliano Herrera for the Luxembourg and Andorra information. According to Herrera, the data from Andorra was the highest of the 30-minute data; the actual max has not yet been released, and could exceed the all time high of 37.9°C.

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2019, 09:32:38 PM »
The last national record of France in 2003 has been exceeded today at least at 11 meteorological stations in France:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extreme_temperatures_in_France

45.9 °C (114.6 °F)   Gallargues-le-Montueux, Gard   June 28, 2019
45.4 °C (113.7 °F)   Villevieille, Gard   June 28, 2019
45.1 °C (113.2 °F)   Marsillargues, Hérault   June 28, 2019
44.6 °C (112.3 °F)   Saint-Chamas, Bouches-du-Rhône   June 28, 2019
44.5 °C (112.1 °F)   Varages, Var   June 28, 2019
44.4 °C (111.9 °F)   Nîmes, Gard   June 28, 2019
44.4 °C (111.9 °F)   Peyrolles-en-Provence, Bouches-du-Rhône   June 28, 2019
44.3 °C (111.7 °F)   Carpentras, Vaucluse   June 28, 2019
44.3 °C (111.7 °F)   Moules-et-Baucels, Hérault   June 28, 2019
44.3 °C (111.7 °F)   Vinon-sur-Verdon, Var   June 28, 2019
44.3 °C (111.7 °F)   Istres, Bouches-du-Rhône   June 28, 2019
44.1 °C (111.4 °F)   Conqueyrac, Gard   August 12, 2003

This is a total heat.

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2019, 09:50:52 PM »
https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Hottest-Day-French-History-459C-1146F?cm_ven=cat6-widget

All-time national heat record also set in Andorra
Friday’s extreme heat also affected northeastern Spain and the tiny Principality of Andorra, sandwiched between France and Spain. Andorra set their all-time national heat record on Friday with 39.4°C (102.9°F) at Borda Vidal. According to weather records expert Maximiliano Herrera, the previous national heat record was 38.5°C (101.3°F) at Andorra La Vella on July 16, 2005.

The catastrophic heat will begin a new assault on European records tomorrow and the day after tomorrow:

More record heat on Saturday and Sunday

Europe’s brutal June heat wave is expected to last through Sunday over portions of Western and Southern Europe, thanks to a “stuck” jet stream pattern that has allowed a hot airmass from the Sahara Desert to flow northwards into Europe. Over the weekend, numerous stations likely to set all-time heat records not only for June, but for any month of the year.

On Saturday, the most intense heat will be centered over Spain and the western two-thirds of France. By Sunday, the heat will progress eastwards, with France, Germany, Poland, and the Czech Republic all at risk of breaking all-time heat records.

Sunday is expected to be the hottest day of the heat wave for Germany, where at least 204 of 451 of the German weather service’s active stations broke or tied their June record on Wednesday. That list included 13 stations that broke or tied their all-time heat record for any month. Many of those records are set to fall again on Sunday.

At 1 pm Friday, the WU forecast for Berlin was predicting a Sunday high of 38.3°C (101°F); Maintz, Germany was forecast to be a degree hotter. Germany’s all-time heat record is 40.3°C (104.5°F), set on July 5 and August 7, 2015, and this record could fall on Sunday. The Czech Republic’s all-time heat record of 40.4°C (104.7°F) set on August 20, 2012, is also at risk on Sunday. The WU forecast for Teplice, Czech Republic on Sunday calls for a high of 37.8°C (100°F).

The heat wave will diminish by Monday, July 1, when no further all-time heat records can be expected to fall.

Milret2

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 135
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2019, 10:09:57 PM »
As an old, retired physician’s assistant, I am going to predict this situation in Europe will kill an amazing number of people and livestock. As a person who had many farmers in my family I also predict poor harvests this year of a lot of food crops in many, many parts of the world. I very much hope my predictions are dead wrong.

Rich

« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2019, 10:14:34 PM »
The last national record of France in 2003 has been exceeded today at least at 11 meteorological stations in France:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extreme_temperatures_in_France

45.9 °C (114.6 °F)   Gallargues-le-Montueux, Gard   June 28, 2019
45.4 °C (113.7 °F)   Villevieille, Gard   June 28, 2019
45.1 °C (113.2 °F)   Marsillargues, Hérault   June 28, 2019
44.6 °C (112.3 °F)   Saint-Chamas, Bouches-du-Rhône   June 28, 2019
44.5 °C (112.1 °F)   Varages, Var   June 28, 2019
44.4 °C (111.9 °F)   Nîmes, Gard   June 28, 2019
44.4 °C (111.9 °F)   Peyrolles-en-Provence, Bouches-du-Rhône   June 28, 2019
44.3 °C (111.7 °F)   Carpentras, Vaucluse   June 28, 2019
44.3 °C (111.7 °F)   Moules-et-Baucels, Hérault   June 28, 2019
44.3 °C (111.7 °F)   Vinon-sur-Verdon, Var   June 28, 2019
44.3 °C (111.7 °F)   Istres, Bouches-du-Rhône   June 28, 2019
44.1 °C (111.4 °F)   Conqueyrac, Gard   August 12, 2003

This is a total heat.

Holy shit. Wholly shit.

wdmn

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 231
  • Likes Given: 182
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2019, 10:26:18 PM »
Don't worry though... 1.5C (which we cannot attain) is still a safe level of warming.

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 28, 2019, 10:33:18 PM »
+45.9 may not be the final value.

https://twitter.com/SergeZaka/status/1144678034915639297

Incredible graphs of the french #heatwave.
104 stations over > 40°C.
12 stations break the all-time higher record of France (44.1°C and now 45.9°C).
One station of @infoclimat reached 46.1°C ! https://www.infoclimat.fr/observations-meteo/temps-reel/le-triadou/000LW.html … !
Montpellier break his higher all-time record of almost 6°C !

https://www.infoclimat.fr/observations-meteo/temps-reel/le-triadou/000LW.html
Le Triadou
Département 34 Hérault
Altitude 80 mètres
Coordonnées 43,74°N | 3,85°E
Température maximale : tx   46.1°C
Température minimale : tn   18.2°C

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 28, 2019, 10:39:31 PM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/28/europe/france-record-temperature-heatwave-intl/index.html

Earlier this week, French national weather service Météo-France linked the country's increasingly frequent heatwaves with greenhouse gas emissions, warning that, without significant cuts to emissions, heat waves could be stronger and last longer than in the past.

According to Stefan Rahmstorf, co-chairman of Earth system analysis at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research and professor at Potsdam University in Germany, mounting heatwaves are exactly what climate scientists predicted as a result of rising global temperatures caused by increases in greenhouse gas emissions from burning coal, oil and gas.

"Heat waves are on the rise," Rahmstorf said in a statement earlier this week, comparing recent extreme heat with 500 years of records. "The hottest summers in Europe since the year 1500 AD all occurred since the last turn of the century: 2018, 2010, 2003, 2016, 2002."