Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Heatwaves  (Read 268622 times)

Tom_Mazanec

Re: Heatwaves
« Reply #250 on: July 22, 2019, 05:31:43 PM »
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 05:45:32 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #251 on: July 22, 2019, 05:50:59 PM »
French Wine Production Hit by Heatwave
https://phys.org/news/2019-07-french-wine-production-heatwave.html

Wine production in France this year will be down by between six and 13 percent over 2018, notably because of the ongoing heatwave, the agriculture ministry said Saturday.

That and other factors meant that production should be between 42.8 and 46.4 million hectolitres—the lowest figures in the last five years, said the ministry, based on estimates drawn up on July 12.

Unfavourable weather conditions hit the flowering of the vine, particularly in the western wine regions of France, such as Val de Loire, Charente, Bordelais the wines of the southwest.

In southern France, the heatwave broke records, with temperatures in some places as high as 46 degrees Celsius (115 degrees Fahrenheit).

The heat damage meant lost production in three regions: the Gard, Herault and Var, the ministry added.

Hailstorms also affected some vines but they did less damage nationally.

Another heatwave has been forecast for most of France in the coming week.

At this rate the good captain won't have a vineyard by 2267
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #252 on: July 23, 2019, 08:38:56 AM »
Paris is now forecast to hit 109F. WOW.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #254 on: July 23, 2019, 11:51:22 AM »
This would be an excellent time to flee to a cooler climate for a vacation. People without access to a reliable AC will die in 40C @ 35% humidity.

Terry

pleun

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #255 on: July 23, 2019, 12:02:38 PM »
Indeed, I didn't realize we were so close to a wet bulb temp of 37C ...

edit : sorry, miscalculated. it's more like 27C
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:33:13 PM by pleun »

philopek

« Reply #256 on: July 23, 2019, 01:54:24 PM »
This would be an excellent time to flee to a cooler climate for a vacation. People without access to a reliable AC will die in 40C @ 35% humidity.

Terry

One of the rare occasions where I can't agree with you. 40C @ 35% is bone dry heat and I've seen and experience that many times over decades.

It's not that pleasant, i agree, but it's not a death sentence and those who die in such conditions certainly have another cause of death noted after their demise, heat, cold, air-pressure or any other extreme change in weather can be a trigger for something imminent at best.

(still talking 40C@ 35%)

Attached you find an image from the "Gulf" that shows huge areas with 40-48C and humidity between 30-45% and as we all know, people were living there before AC existed and whenever I've visited that region the streets were populated and back in the 70ies cars didn't even have AC, at least very few of those old "Peugeots" and "Renaults" did have AC back then.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #257 on: July 23, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
It has to be 85% relative humidity at sea level at 40C for the wet bulb to be 37C

edit: Yeah ...37C not 47C....
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 05:39:01 PM by DrTskoul »

RikW

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #258 on: July 23, 2019, 02:03:05 PM »

Terry

airco @work broke couple of weeks ago and today isn't extremely hot yet :(

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 319
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #259 on: July 23, 2019, 02:22:17 PM »
It has to be 85% relative humidity at sea level at 40C for the wet bulb to be 47C

37C?

Tunnelforce9

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2019, 02:30:56 PM »
Quote from: Philopek
Attached you find an image from the "Gulf" that shows huge areas with 40-48C

One of the reasons why there's far more violence in those countries..

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-violent-crime-warmer-weather-season.html

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2019, 02:46:12 PM »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2019, 03:58:04 PM »
40C @ 35% won't kill healthy people that are properly hydrated. Not everyone is healthy, not everyone is hydrated, and some fools will be out there doing very heavy work.
Terry

liefde

• New ice
  • ice melt will trump donald
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #263 on: July 23, 2019, 04:09:48 PM »
Exciting to see if ARPEGE is correct about Thursday. If so, it will mean the 40℃ barrier will be broken for BeNeLux. It's not that records have never been broken before, but the records have always clearly been outliers, these aren't outliers anymore. No real surprise, to be honest, with earth's surface accumulating 4 Hiroshima atomic bombs worth of heat every second. Energy going in, not out into space, thanks to the growing blanket of CO2, H2O, CH4, CFCs and N2O.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #264 on: July 23, 2019, 06:44:04 PM »
Europe Faces Another Record-Setting Heat Wave This Week
Last month was the hottest June on record, riding on the back of a heat wave that saw France set an all-time high-temperature record as well as June records for the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Andorra, Luxembourg, Poland, and Germany. While the heat wave arriving this week isn’t forecast to be quite as fierce, it still has record-setting potential for major cities in Europe and could ensure July goes down as the hottest month the world has ever recorded.

The July heat wave will be caused by a near-identical pattern to the one that drove June’s extreme heat. Low pressure will stall over the North Atlantic, funneling the jet stream into a big swing over the UK and northern Europe. That will cut the region off from cooler Arctic air while allowing hot, dry air from the south to come rushing over the continent. The result will be temperatures rising over the course of the week and spiking on Wednesday and Thursday anywhere from 10-15 degrees Celsius (18-27 degrees Fahrenheit) above normal.

France, Spain, and Portugal—all of which were broiled by the last heat wave—are likely to see the mercury rise past 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit). That includes Paris, where the all-time high-temperature record of 40.4 degrees Celsius (104.7 degrees Fahrenheit) was set in 1947, according to AFP.
https://earther.gizmodo.com/europe-faces-another-record-setting-heat-wave-this-week-1836604668
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #265 on: July 23, 2019, 10:29:56 PM »

Terry

Son and I are heading to Washington Island in Door County, Wisconsin in early September.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #266 on: July 23, 2019, 10:33:55 PM »

This chart explains why I felt like shit last Thursday. It was 35C with 80% humidity.

philopek

« Reply #267 on: July 23, 2019, 10:58:16 PM »

This chart explains why I felt like shit last Thursday. It was 35C with 80% humidity.

Sounds like Thailand in Summer while they see even higher percentages.

Horrible for me as well while my dad never had issues with such conditions, but most of us ccertainly do.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #268 on: July 24, 2019, 01:56:15 AM »
Note where the numbers end in vox's charts. That's where wetbulb temperatures have never been recorded. But that is where more and more of the world is headed.

Meanwhile, my daughter just decided to travel from relatively cool Netherlands to Paris for the next couple days, where temperatures are predicted to reach and even exceed 40C.

How are things looking wherever you are now?

eta: Emphasis on 'relatively' in the above!

https://weather.com/safety/heat/news/2019-07-22-europe-heat-wave-forecast-france-germany-netherlands-belgium

Another Europe Heat Wave May Shatter All-Time Records in Paris, U.K., Belgium and The Netherlands

I hope all our European friends in these areas are able to stay safe and tolerably cool!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 04:20:04 AM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #269 on: July 24, 2019, 06:54:03 AM »
Thank you wili. I'm fine, living 30km from the sea on Netherlands' north coast and here the extremes are not as high. Here are the stats of July for Leeuwarden: https://weerstatistieken.nl/leeuwarden/2019/juli. Not much of a heatwave.

I want to echo your wishes to people who are not so lucky.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #270 on: July 24, 2019, 08:38:23 AM »
We're looking at potential records here in Scandinavia too. In Bergen, western Norway, it is currently forecast to reach 34 C on Friday. That would smash the previous all-time record of around 32C (which was set just last year).

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #271 on: July 24, 2019, 12:02:23 PM »
Over hear near Brussels, the all time record for any month will be broken with almost 2 degree C . If the oceans absorb most heat, than it's probably not a strange thing to happen. The influence of the gulf stream is pretty big.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 24, 2019, 01:47:49 PM »
Is anyone aware of where I might find wet bulb temperatures as part of weather forecasts for various regions?
Thanks in advance :)
Terry

pleun

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 24, 2019, 02:02:41 PM »
here's a french site that has a 3 day forecast :

https://meteologix.com/fr/model-charts/sui-hd/france/wet-bulb-temperature/20190724-1300z.html

I have not checked it out tho.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 24, 2019, 02:23:30 PM »
Is anyone aware of where I might find wet bulb temperatures as part of weather forecasts for various regions?
Thanks in advance :)
Terry
Terry, Wunderground.com lists the heat index (wet bulb temp) in all their local forecasts.

Here's one for Toronto

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/ca/toronto/43.65%2C-79.39

It's listed as the 'Feel's Like' temperature.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 24, 2019, 03:28:27 PM »
pleun
Thanks so much for the link!

vox
I've never trusted heat index to equate with wet bulb. I think they include things such as wind velocity, but I'm not sure.
I'll compare the French site's "wet bulb" with Wunderground's "feels like" temperatures.

I can post my findings here if you'd like.

Thanks again to both of you!
Terry

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #276 on: July 24, 2019, 03:50:11 PM »
Wili we hit 39,1 in NL today so if she is sensible the difference is not too big. Just go to the modern art museum or something.

https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/5969673/hoogste-temperatuur-ooit-in-nederland-391-graden-gemeten-in-gilze-rijen.html

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

dnem

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 319
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #277 on: July 24, 2019, 04:00:18 PM »
There are various wet bulb calculators on the web, e.g.:
https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_rh

pleun

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 24, 2019, 04:31:46 PM »
vox
I've never trusted heat index to equate with wet bulb. I think they include things such as wind velocity, but I'm not sure.
I'll compare the French site's "wet bulb" with Wunderground's "feels like" temperatures.

there's also a WBGT (wet bulb globe temp). this also takes more factors into account. see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_globe_temperature

RikW

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #279 on: July 24, 2019, 04:42:03 PM »
I found a calculator online: https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_rh

I doubt if it is really wet bulb temperature, I did 2 calculations based on dutch weatherstations: https://knmi.nl/nederland-nu/weer/waarnemingen

It feels too high considering the relative humidity which isn't that high

pleun

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 24, 2019, 04:54:08 PM »
lol. you set the pressure at 1013 inches. exactly the same way I fucked up a few posts up.
you have to select the rightmost circle for mbar
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:04:15 PM by pleun »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 24, 2019, 05:10:16 PM »
Heat Index and Adjusted Temperature as Surrogates for Wet Bulb Globe Temperature
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15459624.2014.989365?journalCode=uoeh20

A relationship between Heat Index [°F] and Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT) [°C] is described by WBGT = −0.0034 HI2 + 0.96 HI – 34

Relationship between WBGT vs WBT

where

Tw = Natural wet-bulb temperature (combined with dry-bulb temperature indicates humidity)
Tg = Globe thermometer temperature (measured with a globe thermometer, also known as a black globe thermometer)
Td = Dry-bulb temperature (actual air temperature)
Temperatures may be in either Celsius or Fahrenheit
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:15:32 PM by vox_mundi »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 24, 2019, 05:24:39 PM »
Washington's Potomac River Hits Record High Temperature
https://phys.org/news/2019-07-washington-potomac-river-high-temperature.html

The Potomac River, which flows through the US capital Washington, hit a record high temperature of 94 degrees Fahrenheit (34 degrees Celsius) over the weekend—as warm as bathwater—following a major heat wave.

The previous highs came in the summers of 2011 and 2012, though record keeping began only in 2007.

On Sunday, the temperature exceeded previous records by half a degree Fahrenheit near the Little Falls rapids, upstream from the US capital, peaking at 93.7 degrees Fahrenheit at four feet (1.2 meters) from the shore, halfway between the surface and the bottom, according to the US Geological Survey.

Fish are not happy  :(

------------------------------

Trains Slowed Down as Temperature Records Tumble in Europe
https://phys.org/news/2019-07-temperature-europe.html

The operator of the British rail network, Network Rail, said it was slowing down trains in response to the extreme weather, which comes only weeks after another record-breaking heatwave in Europe in June.

"Extreme heat can cause overhead wires to sag and become damaged by fast trains. We slow down services to keep passengers safe when this happens," the company said on Twitter.

Water restrictions are in place in 73 out of 96 departments in mainland France, with the worst affected areas in the Loire area of central France, as well as the south west and the south east.

The second heatwave in two months has amplified concerns in Europe that human activity is heating the planet at a dangerous rate.

The June 26-28 heatwave in France was four degrees Celsius (7.2 Fahrenheit) hotter than an equally rare June heatwave would have been in 1900, the World Weather Attribution (WWA) team said this month.

One study by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology said the deadly, weeks-long heatwave across northern Europe in 2018 would have been statistically impossible without climate change.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:38:39 PM by vox_mundi »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 24, 2019, 06:31:30 PM »
lol. you set the pressure at 1013 inches. exactly the same way I fucked up a few posts up.
you have to select the rightmost circle for mbar

With a reasonable pressure setting (say 1,000 mm) the calculator seems accurate.
45C @ 49% humidity = 35C wet bulb - and probably a death sentence to anyone their to sling their hydrometer. :P

Terry

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
« Reply #284 on: July 24, 2019, 06:49:46 PM »
Looks like Paris hit at least 102F today.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #285 on: July 24, 2019, 07:09:54 PM »
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

pleun

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 24, 2019, 07:14:27 PM »

how much is that in proper degrees ?

Rich

« Reply #287 on: July 24, 2019, 07:43:50 PM »

Tomorrow is peak day.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #288 on: July 24, 2019, 08:13:44 PM »
Well, let's see:
Take 102ºF
Subtract 32
Get 70
Add 1.1 for every 10  [actually 1.111111, but this is mental arithmetic, not maths, and the "102" is probably not "102.0"]
Get 77.7
Half of that
Ah:  38.85  so round to 39ºC 

A calculator says 38.89ºC, but that's no fun.  [but it rounds to 39ºC too]

PS: It is easier to convert C to F (and exact):
Start with 39
Double it: 78
Subtract 1 for every 10: 70.2
Add 32:  102.2
Calculator says 102.2 (always the same)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 08:27:12 PM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

pleun

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 24, 2019, 08:31:26 PM »
Wow,  and people have to go through that each time they  want to know how warm it is outside?

That's amazing!

philopek

« Reply #290 on: July 24, 2019, 09:38:10 PM »
Wow,  and people have to go through that each time they  want to know how warm it is outside?

That's amazing!

Your sentence was incomplete, it should end: ......outside the U.S. of A.

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #291 on: July 24, 2019, 10:32:38 PM »
Record breaking temperatures in Germany, as forecasted.
The attached list shows all stations with T ≥ 39.4°C from wetterstationen.meteomedia.de. Most of them are located in the western part of Nordrhein-Westfalen, some in Rheinland-Pfalz and one in Saarland.
Please note that the station Brauneberg-Juffer is located in a wineyard on a southern slope, so it should be excluded. The "winner" is therefore Geilenkirchen, which exceeded the latest record (40.3°C, 2015) by 0.2°C.
New record highs can be expected tomorrow...
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

Phil42

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 1021
« Reply #292 on: July 24, 2019, 11:22:05 PM »
To summarize this quite historic day for Central European temperature data, I try to make a short list of records I saw in media (good possibility that i missed out some):

Belgium - All time record broken
40.2C in Luik
Old record was 38.8C set in June 1947

Netherlands - All time record broken
39.3C in Eindhoven
Old record was 38.6C set in August 1944

Germany - All time record broken
40.5C in Geilenkirchen
Old record was 40.3C set in July 2015

France - City record broken
Bordeaux with 41.2C (Tuesday)

Switzerland - City records broken
Sion with 38C
Neuchâtel with 37.9C
Aarau with 37C
Scuol with 33.8C
Moléson (mountain station) with 26.4C

Note 1: Tomorrow more records will probably be set (candidates are BeNeLux, UK, France, Germany).

Note 2: In the heatwave some weeks ago, June records have already been broken this year in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Andorra, Luxembourg, Poland, Germany and Earth as a whole.

Edited BE and NL records according to the posts made by kassy and Alexander, thanks.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:21:38 PM by Phil42 »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 25, 2019, 08:12:11 AM »

The Arctic is toast next week

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #294 on: July 25, 2019, 08:57:40 AM »
Yes that´ll be a week of interesting times.  :(

re 422: Netherlands record was 39,3 C in Eindhoven at the end of the day

https://www.nu.nl/binnenland/5969673/hoogste-temperatuur-ooit-in-nederland-393-graden-gemeten-in-eindhoven.html
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
« Reply #295 on: July 25, 2019, 11:20:32 AM »
Today is the big day for records in western Europe. Temperatures already above 30C across much of Belgium, Netherlands, south east England and mid 30s around Paris.
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 25, 2019, 11:26:54 AM »
In Kleine Brogel it was 39,9 yesterday, and probably a little more today.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 25, 2019, 01:01:42 PM »
And the highest temperature yesterday was 40,2, in the station in Luik.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #298 on: July 25, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »
Rather toasty for northern Europeans

Rich

« Reply #299 on: July 25, 2019, 02:06:38 PM »
A zoo in Belgium is feeding frozen chicken to it's tigers.