Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The 5 Big Climate Unknowns?  (Read 2949 times)

prokaryotes

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Climate State
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 37
The 5 Big Climate Unknowns?
« on: July 27, 2018, 04:14:11 AM »
I went and made a video on what I think are The 5 Big Climate Unknowns.

Climate unknowns include the rate of sea level rise, ozone loss, how the Gulf Stream will react and what it possibly means, the Earth's response, and the potential for extra methane release from methane clathrates, stored at continental margins. There are many more climate unknowns, for example elaborated in this article https://thinkprogress.org/what-are-the-unknown-unknowns-of-global-warming-1438d934bdee

I would be interested if you think there is an equal unknown, such as Mountain Pine Beetle infestations, destroying carbon sinks. What would you have added, or think is missing?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:31:33 AM by prokaryotes »

johnm33

Re: The 5 Big Climate Unknowns?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 10:56:22 AM »
How far south will the Arctic Ocean extend when the permafrost all melts? Hudson Bay?

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »
I feel that the El Nino/Nina cycle provides a great tool for seeing into the future (next decade) as the short term temperature spikes give us a taste of what will happen as the temperature trend hits those spike levels.

The soil/forest carbon turnaround during the last El Nino is extremely worrying, as it seems to show that somewhere between 1.5 degrees and 2 degrees we will get big moves from carbon sinks to carbon sources - negating any anthropogenic reductions (I silently laughed as I wrote those last 2 words given the recent jump in Chinese emissions).

Some of these feedbacks can become self-driving, even if temperatures fall back. The loss of forest leads to reduced rainfall, the microbes that digest the organic material in permafrost are exothermic etc. So a big unknown is whether an El Nino event could kick off feedbacks that continue during the Nina part of the cycle.

I also see the feedbacks as being highly connected, with one of them kicking temperatures to the point where another feedback kicks in. The finding that climate sensitivity increases with temperatures lends some support to this view.

prokaryotes

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Climate State
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 06:01:27 PM »
Two unknowns possibly worth a look is the ocean acidity increasing regarding both the the death collapse of coral reefs (circa 2050) and the impact on small deep ocean species eg planktons and their connections with the entire ocean life cycles. and therefore food sources. Included in this is the somewhat interconnected timing of oxygen death zones in the seas and oceans.
Indeed, probably have to make an update with the top 10 unknowns.

Sciguy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 06:55:23 PM »
Sensitivity (usually measured with respect to a doubling of the CO2 concentration).

Rate of heat mixing from the ocean near surface to the depths.

Impact of reduction of aerosols as fossil fuel use decreases.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 01:19:11 PM »
Looks like one unknown is turning out bad...how good a carbon sink the Southern Ocean is:
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/southern-ocean-antarctica-absorbs-less-carbon-expected