Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Projects of Community  (Read 2643 times)

Traumathon

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Projects of Community
« on: August 07, 2018, 12:53:36 AM »
I am curious to see if anyone might have any information on groups pursuing communal living arrangements with the aim of reducing the carbon footprint or preparing for the unraveling of our climate system.  I have been trying to find such a thing for a bit and have yet to have much luck.  I should have 50 to 50 grand by the end of next year, and so hope to help fund such a project if I find it suitable.  If anyone might be able to point me in some direction it would be much appreciated.  Questions are also welcome.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: Projects of Community
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 09:30:50 AM »
For US or Europe? Have you looked at the ecovillage website? Years ago, my wife and I were looking for similar stuff, and I remember my wife keeping an eye on a website called Diggers & Dreamers, but I think it was mainly for Europe.

Be careful, there are a lot of leeches in these circles.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »
Ya, I'm down. But only if you are willing to move to Patagonia. Why go all in on Apocalypse Now, and not move to the most (theoretically) resilient place? Chile is very open to foreign investment. I think we will need about a dozen folks bring about 50K each. Farm land nearish to Coyhaique strikes me as the best place. Online conversations>phone group calls>in-person meet-up>trip to chile>then if we have a group that shares values hopefully we could pull the trigger.  Or we could try living underground almost anywhere, but that sounds worthlessly short term and miserable.
big time oops

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:21:31 AM »
Be careful, there are a lot of leeches in these circles.
Make sure you stay your own boss. If people tell you that they know better, that you should trust them when you see problems, just run away. The problem is that it takes time to see behind the screen, but the basic recommendation is to look at the "fruits", doesn't matter what the speech is.

Traumathon

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:59:16 PM »
I recently found this website.  And yes, I am very skeptical of any group with a "leader."  I most likely will find some place I can feel comfortable in for a decent period of time before I make it known that I have a large sum of money saved.  From what I have found thus far it looks like I will have to make several trips to various places before settling on a group that is up to my expectations. 

Clare

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 06:16:04 AM »
This is an eco-village in its early stages not far north of me in NZ. As just one example to read about how they are approaching things:
http://kotarevillage.org.nz/

Clare