Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Does ASIF have a mission statement ?  (Read 2624 times)

Rich

Does ASIF have a mission statement ?
« on: June 04, 2019, 07:40:19 PM »
I'm interested in understanding WHY people are here.

magnamentis

Re: Does ASIF have a mission statement ?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 07:52:42 PM »
I'm interested in understanding WHY people are here.

a) to know (learn) instead of believing (from hear-say)

b) to get a feel where we (things) are heading and what one person can do to either change something and if that's not possible to dodge some of the worst bullets of the consequences

c) to spend time on interesting and/or useful topics instead of killing time with nonsense

d) to oppose dogmatism and any other kind of extreme stances that will make things worse

e) to extend my horizon of knowledge to reduce ignorance and erroneous convictions

f) to talk mostly to smart people with their heart on the right spot instead of .... (fill the gaps with your own words, won't expose myself too much here LOL)

Pmt111500

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 12:04:08 PM »
For meh, this was a place to see some studies of science of cc since mainstream press is so good with citing their sources (hopefully irony is apparent). Nowadays when I've resigned to the fact ( at least for me) that science alone cannot solve this problem, it is mainly a place to follow up the inevitable becoming of Blue Arctic Ocean (well it'll Grow some massive algae liquid in time). I'm pretty sure the actions of goverments and individuals are already too late thus mainly living with the intention of not doing more harm than is mentally obligatory ... I'm a product of consumerist culture so the amount of creature comforts is probably too much if everyone on the planet did the same (car sharing and occasional trips within 200km, drinking coffee, and warming up the house to c.20C  during winters.) Nevens forum has some outstanding members and I read more than write. Well, maybe this is not a hopeless endeavour, this fighting climate change, at least it could be slowed down a bit, mission statements notwithstanding.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:47:17 PM by Pmt111500 »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1991
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 09:58:39 PM »
https://neven1.typepad.com/blog/2012/08/wasislac.html

The Arctic is the most visible front of global warming and it is also the switch. That is why we watch it and maybe just maybe a really bad ASI year can wake people up although that might be too late.

Just curious but which age group are you in Rich?

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 10:08:16 PM »
To be the witness of an historical event: the melting of the Arctic sea ice, at the same time that economic interests denies it. And to understand the consequences and find solutions.
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.