Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Northern Hemisphere Winter 2018-2019 Snowcover / Misc Obs  (Read 35030 times)

oren

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 335
  • Likes Given: 645
Re: Northern Hemisphere Winter 2018-2019 Snowcover / Misc Obs
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »
Snow Cover Extent (SCE) for North America now 1 SD below average, but Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) 1 SD above average. It is high SWE that could delay melting in Spring 2019.
My past research into the behavior of snow cover for several weather stations in NE Canada and in Siberia has shown that thick midwinter snow cover does not correlate much with delayed snow melt-out. It mostly depends on spring weather and possibly on late snows.
I will attempt to updare and repost those charts, though producing them was very tedious due to data problems.

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 401
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #251 on: December 23, 2018, 02:54:14 PM »
https://ccin.ca/ccw/snow/current as at 22 December 2018

Snow Cover Extent (SCE) for North America now just more than 1 SD below average, but Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) 1 SD above average.

With cold returned to Canada, further retreat of snow cover is unlikely. My guess is that this event is pretty much over.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 23, 2018, 06:34:58 PM »
Wunderground.com's guess(?) at temperatures Jan to March in the USA. Looks last last year?

https://www.wunderground.com/news/forecast/national/news/2018-12-20-january-february-march-2019-us-temperature-outlook-the-weather

January-March 2019 Temperature Outlook: Cold in East, South; Mild in Northwest
Any above-average temperatures will likely be confined to the West and Northwest during the first three months of the new year. Above-average warmth, by winter standards, is expected from Northern California to parts of the northern Plains, with temperatures even farther above average forecast in the Pacific Northwest.

"The current magnitude/flavor of El NiƱo event and expected high-latitude blocking associated with the solar minimum (and backed up by the November blocking) add up to heavily skewed odds toward a colder, stormier late-winter period," said Dr. Todd Crawford, chief meteorologist with The Weather Company.

January 2019 temperature outlook from The Weather Company, an IBM Business.
"The stratospheric polar vortex has been taking a beating, and there are indications that a significant stratospheric warming event is coming soon, by displacement or split, which may also help to increase probabilities of the sort of high-latitude blocking that would favor a colder late-winter look," Crawford said.

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #253 on: January 01, 2019, 05:00:47 PM »
Thread has been remarkably quiet. Thought I would post most recent graphs for North America.

Snow cover is normal while snow water equivalent is still 1 SD over the average.

One thing I had not noticed before is that snow cover is approaching the maximum for the average winter while snow water equivalent is barely half way to the max for the typical winter.

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 01, 2019, 06:55:56 PM »
And here is last year for comparison. As you can see it was only in February and March 2018 to early April, and only Snow Water Equivalent, that went doo-lally.

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 01, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »
Remarkable how closely this year is tracking with last year.

Something to watch carefully.

Would not be surprised if it happens again and, if it does, bbr2314 will be back here with a vengeance.

HapHazard

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #256 on: January 02, 2019, 04:34:26 AM »
[...] bbr2314 will be back here with a vengeance.

oh gawd i hope not

...just got our first "real" (enough to have to actually plow the driveway) snowfall of the season; a record by 38 days since we moved here 11 years ago. (BC interior) Not that this anecdote matters here... (not any more than Quebec glaciation, anyways)

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 02, 2019, 01:39:53 PM »
Herewith the results of peering into the chicken entrails by Environment Canada for the weather January to March 2019.

Warm in the west, cold in the N.E., and mostly average precipitation. Meanwhile, elsewhere are suggestions of a SSW / PSV whatever to cause general weather mayhem in the northern hemisphere this month.
link -
https://weather.gc.ca/saisons/index_e.html

Niall Dollard

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #258 on: January 03, 2019, 01:12:39 AM »
Rutgers NH snowcover extent for December was 44.55 million km2.

A positive anomaly of 0.57.

Regions with above normal extent were mid China, SE Europe.

Regions with below normal extent were northern China, parts of the middle of USA and western Europe.

Alexander555

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2019, 04:49:45 PM »
It's still a long way out. They predict almost 3 meters of snow for the North-East of the US.

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2019, 04:37:33 PM »
The blast of wintry weather across the eastern U.S. has resulted in the 2nd two to three inch snowfall of the season for Chicago. Temperatures reach the mid 30's tomorrow so should be gone in a couple of days. Our warm winters continue.

Klondike Kat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2019, 08:39:14 PM »
The blast of wintry weather across the eastern U.S. has resulted in the 2nd two to three inch snowfall of the season for Chicago. Temperatures reach the mid 30's tomorrow so should be gone in a couple of days. Our warm winters continue.
Here in the Detroit area we have had precious little snow also.  However, my son down in Dayton and nephews in St. Louis, MO and Lincoln, NE have report an [over]abundance of snow so far this winter.  It seems that the recent weather patterns have pushed the snow further south this year.  The latest forecast is calling for another round of heavy snow through the mid section this weekend.