Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Northern Hemisphere Winter 2018-2019 Snowcover / Misc Obs  (Read 47124 times)

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Northern Hemisphere Winter 2018-2019 Snowcover / Misc Obs
« Reply #350 on: April 08, 2019, 04:07:19 PM »
NSIDC's Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis of April 3 includes a discussion on Arctic Ocean snow cover and this graph. (Something like: less net snow cover due to late freeze, early thaw and changing weather patterns (but more snow in the CAB), with consequences for ice growth, etc.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #351 on: April 11, 2019, 04:22:09 PM »
Another winter storm (Wesley) dumps more snow over the middle of North America, stopping and then reversing the decline in SWE (snow mass) to above +1SD. Meanwhile, warmth pushes North and East from the far west of North America, reducing SCE (snow cover towards -1SD.

The result looks like even worse flooding over the next few weeks, especially down the Missouri.

And warmth steadily moves North and East for the next week and more. My prediction that belongs to me is that by the 21st April just about all the snow cover south of 60 degrees in North America will be gone (apart from snow in the higher mountains), even though snow mass in the remainder may still be above average.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 13, 2019, 11:14:30 AM »
https://ccin.ca/ccw/snow/current Northern hemisphere snow as at 12th April

Eurasia SCE and SWE is well-behaved, still melting in accordance with the models (in itself unusual). i.e. steady decline with SCE at 1 SD below average and SWE 1 SD above average.

North America stays really interesting. Two storms affected North America over the next week, the second being a monster - Storm Wesley. This dumped loads of snow especially on the high plains (see first image). As a result SWE (snow mass) is now well above +1SD (standard deviation) for the time of year,  and SCE (snow cover extent) approaching +1 SD.  (2nd and third images)

However, Spring has sprung. The last image shows typical late afternoon temperatures in North America over the next 10 days. So, my little prediction that belongs to me is that apart from some snow in the high mountains, there will be no snow on the ground south of 60 degrees North in North America well before the end of the month.

The real legacy of the extreme snow fall in North America seems to me to be the floods expected to roll down the Mississippi / Missouri river basin over the next two months. Wesley can only have worsened that outlook.

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: Today at 01:28:33 PM »
https://ccin.ca/ccw/snow/current Northern hemisphere snow as at 17th April

A quick look at North America after the monster Storm Wesley. This dumped loads of snow especially on the high plains.  As a result SWE (snow mass) spiked well above +1SD (standard deviation) for the time of year,  and SCE (snow cover extent) approached+1 SD.

But all that snow is nearly gone. Spring sprang. SCE and SWE now in fast decline. The last image shows typical late afternoon temperatures in North America over the next 10 days.  With temperatures getting that warm snow will not survive. So, my little prediction that belongs to me is that apart from some snow remaining in the high mountains, there will be no snow on the ground south of 60 degrees North in North America well before the end of the month.

The real legacy of the extreme snow fall in North America still seems to me to be the floods expected to roll down the Mississippi / Missouri river basin over the next two months. Storm Wesley and the current rapid melt can only have worsened that outlook.