Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Poll

What type of transportation do you use most often on a typical day?

car (with combustion engine)
16 (37.2%)
car (electric or hybrid)
7 (16.3%)
public transport
2 (4.7%)
motorcycle
2 (4.7%)
bicycle
11 (25.6%)
walking
4 (9.3%)
none
0 (0%)
other
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: December 31, 2019, 07:57:06 PM

Author Topic: What type of transportation do you use?  (Read 6392 times)

Steven

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic sea ice data and graphs
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 19
What type of transportation do you use?
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:57:06 PM »
Personally I use a bicycle for everyday activities (commuting, shopping etc).  Occasionally I take a train for longer distances.

b_lumenkraft

Re: What type of transportation do you use?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 09:49:05 PM »
car (with combustion engine)

Smart 4 2 (4.5l/100km)

Next car will be a small BEV.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 10:00:00 PM »
ICE car for shopping and driving with the family.
The bus for commuting to the office (but I mostly work from home).
Next car will be a BEV.

Reallybigbunny

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 10:04:01 PM »
Electric bicycle

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 10:04:47 PM »
I drive an ICE vehicle :'( but a few months ago I made some changes that cut my driving in half :). I want a fully electric car 8) unfortunately I can't afford new :( so it may be some time. I have been thinking about a leaf but range on a new leaf isn't great and its even worse on an older model. 

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 10:13:46 PM »
Our plan has always been to buy good bikes and use them, but we also need a car to bring our daughter to her music classes and sports trainings (no train, and bus is too expensive). We've switched to a small electric car (Mitsubishi i-MiEV) for that a few months ago, but the ideal is still to use a bike to do groceries. We're also busy finishing the house and expanding our garden, so hopefully we'll have more energy in the near future.

So, 90% of our transportation is the small electric car, and 10% is a CNG-powered car for longer trips or transport of heavy/bulky stuff.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 10:19:51 PM »
I'm trying to use my bicycle as much as possible, but there are often reasons that make it impossible (like that the kids missed the schoolbus, or some shopping to do after work...). So with a single choice, I had to vote for a car with ICE. On non working days, I mainly use the car or walk, things are too close or too far for the bicycle. I'm living in a small village with almost no public transportation.

miki

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 11:14:36 PM »
I use my bike to go to work, and for any other thing when possible, including daily groceries. We all go out with bikes, when we can.
We have two kids to drive to school and violin lessons, and use our car for that - not electric yet, but gas efficient - managing to have the most done with each trip. We have also put in place a good carpool system with other families to drive all our kids to school and sports, and that reduces dramatically the number of trips we all have to do.

We all fly once every two years or so, though, US<->Europe, to visit my family.

magnamentis

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 01:33:01 AM »
10% toyota hybrid car

10% per pedes

80% motorbike ( too big with 1400cc but looking for an electric alternative )

500km/month during 10 months of the year and during 2 months touring all over spaceship earth

Grubbegrabben

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 01:42:52 AM »
We have 2 ICE vehicles and drive a lot, both me and my wife. Commute to work, drop off and pick up at schools and different sports activities. In total we drive about 3000 km/month.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 02:05:50 AM »
"A typical day"

Don't seem to have 'em.

Out east (USA) in the big smoke, if it's just me, i  hop on the train east round harrisburg, allentown or philly. Unless i absolutely have to haul a load in or out i will use roads only under duress. I-95 is Ben Hur on crack, the rest ain't much better.

Out west, where the country opens up and you put on the big miles, i'm usually on something like class 8 (think C1E or CE in europe).

sidd

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 02:58:34 AM »
Car (with combustion engine).
I try not to use it, so I am becoming a very sedentary man (always at my home).
I walk when I can.
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 03:44:33 AM »
2002 Prius with 140,000 miles (226,000 km), bought used in 2003 (with 20k miles), so I've averaged 7,500 miles/year (12,100 km/yr).  We live on a narrow (no shoulder) country road, and bicycling to work (in the dark) would not be smart.  The car's gas mileage dropped from about 45 mpg (19 kmpl) to about 35 mpg (15 kmpl) - I don't know why unless it's the ethanol in the gas or less efficient tires.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 05:47:11 AM »
I use a bike almost all the time, although my wife has a car to get to and from work (10km each way) and I am trying to talk her into an electric bike.
Sometimes I catch the train for longer trips or if the weather is not conductive to ride far, but even then, it is 2km each to the train station.

I use a tandem with a kid trolley on the back since I have two home school kids who need to get to events and tutors.

Avalonian

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2019, 06:26:45 AM »
If I can walk, I do. If I can't (e.g. more than 10 km away, or time constraints make the distance impractical) I use public transport. Never learned to drive. On rare occasions when I need to transport something bulky, or get somewhere remote, I'll hire a taxi or get a lift with friends (returning the favour some other way). I appreciate people who are good drivers, but if we all used public transport or hired a driver when essential, there would be a lot fewer cars on the road.

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 02:01:13 PM »
I have an 11 year old compact ICE that I barely drive. My next car ( hopefully within the next 3 years) will be a used electric car.

Walking or riding a bike are not a safe option given the roads given the narrow, broken, poorly maintained roads. Public transportation is extremely restricted and the few public transport options are  more CO2 intensive than driving my econobox.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

magnamentis

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 04:48:13 PM »
The car's gas mileage dropped from about 45 mpg (19 kmpl) to about 35 mpg (15 kmpl) - I don't know why unless it's the ethanol in the gas or less efficient tires.

aging battery ?

would be normal, something that is rarely discussed, while a 3-4 year old battery is way less efficient as well as less capacity than a new one.

most discussions everywhere are based on data with new batteries as well as average conditions.

i think this is good, because if we would bring that battery replacement costs as well as aging battery efficiency loss on the table at large, even less people would switch to EVs, but i'm sure we're in for ugly surprises in that aspect (costs for people who have a tight budget will hurt them)

for those who want to get an idea, watch your smartphone's battery over the years, at least in case you keep them for a few years like i do.

i have 6 phones in use (various countries SIM for business are the main reason) and replace one of them per year, means my oldest phone in use is 5 years old and that allows to keep a good record about battery life development of similar tech under almost identical conditions (same user, same habits, same climate, same software [rooted and unified]

the difference in the charges they hold, as well as voltage stability is tremendous. some phones with a mediocre electrical system like those from i.e. motorola, would even start to shut down below 50% battery capacity after 3-4 years due to voltage fluctuations etc.

keep an eye on it, you'll be surprise and it's well worth to consider a battery replacement for
equipment, be it car or phone, that else is in top condition. at least i usually replace the battery once before replacing the oldest devices after 5-7 years.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 05:08:53 PM »
The car's gas mileage dropped from about 45 mpg (19 kmpl) to about 35 mpg (15 kmpl) - I don't know why unless it's the ethanol in the gas or less efficient tires.

aging battery ?

would be normal, something that is rarely discussed, while a 3-4 year old battery is way less efficient as well as less capacity than a new one.

most discussions everywhere are based on data with new batteries as well as average conditions.

i think this is good, because if we would bring that battery replacement costs as well as aging battery efficiency loss on the table at large, even less people would switch to EVs, but i'm sure we're in for ugly surprises in that aspect (costs for people who have a tight budget will hurt them)

An aging battery in an ICE car reduces mileage?  I'm skeptical.  The battery's real function is to get the car started.  It surely helps even out fluctuations in current from the alternator, but it's not actually doing net work when the engine is running.

Perhaps it could generate waste heat from internal resistance as it ages.  But to reduce mileage of the car, I think it would have to generate so much waste heat that the battery would melt or explode.  I don't think old car batteries are known to do this in the real world.

magnamentis

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »

aging battery ?

An aging battery in an ICE car reduces mileage?  I'm skeptical.  The battery's real function is to get the car started.  It surely helps even out fluctuations in current from the alternator, but it's not actually doing net work when the engine is running.

Perhaps it could generate waste heat from internal resistance as it ages.  But to reduce mileage of the car, I think it would have to generate so much waste heat that the battery would melt or explode.  I don't think old car batteries are known to do this in the real world.

if it's a prius as i understood, the battery plays a major role to reduce fuel consumption, hence i think your reply is not considering that, at least apparently so if you refer to ICE behaviour only while, except if i got that wrong, it's about a toyota prius hybrid that probably rund on battery for about 4km below certain speeds etc. etc.

all those hybrides, even non-plugin's charge their battery while driving, braking etc. and use that juice to accellerate and/or drive below certain speeds.

that means if the capacity of that battery is significantly lower and if efficiency of charging is significantly lower after so many years, (more heat, less electricity) that indeed HAS an impact and then if the battery is the first one and 17 years old the effect could be down to almost zero.

further CTV transmissions as well as ICE engine can loose efficiency over time, especially if a car is that old.

transmission could certainly play a bigger role while ICE engine problems of such scale would probably smellable, audible and/or visible (smoke) LOL
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:47:46 PM by magnamentis »

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 10:47:27 PM »

if it's a prius as i understood, the battery plays a major role to reduce fuel consumption, hence i think your reply is not considering that, at least apparently so if you refer to ICE behaviour only while, except if i got that wrong, it's about a toyota prius hybrid that probably rund on battery for about 4km below certain speeds etc. etc.

You're quite right, of course, I misunderstood the assertion.  Yes, in PHEV, a poorly-performing battery will require more use of the ICE component, reduce overall efficiency, and reduce mileage.

Thanks for the clarification.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 01:26:04 AM »
I was an early adopter of the then-considered-ugly Honda Element, and it has served my car and truck needs for 15 years now, but has not yet hit 100,000 miles.  Biking or walking is not feasible due to distance, cargo, and road considerations.  I was this close to leasing a LEAF a couple years ago; even installed a J1772 charger in the garage, but I decided the better investment was to save and wait for a Tesla Model Y, which should be a better fit for my needs and allow me to ditch ICE entirely, as I have with all my lawn and garden equipment.  Plus, the Tesla’s tech will continue to improve through the coming years of the EV revolution, important because I normally keep my car at least ten years.  (Admittedly, I’m waiting to place an order until after I see the specs and the price of the Tesla pickup truck, to be revealed this summer. ;) )

I have grid-tied solar, but my goal is to add solar and batteries to the garage and drive the Tesla completely on sunshine.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

sark

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 03:10:31 AM »
I traveled 15,000 miles around the Western US for 4 years under my own power.  I carried a laptop with solar power, two different configurations.  Lived on as little as $200 a month.  For months at a time, accounted for CO2 emissions in the range of 2-4 tonnes per annum. 

I ride bicycle for everything, but it doesn't make a difference.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 03:17:22 AM by sark »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 06:05:06 AM »
"I traveled 15,000 miles around the Western US for 4 years under my own power."

Brilliant. I have a friend who is gearing up for a (USA) cross country east to west and back ride. I told him to stop by and pick up my can of bear spray.

sidd

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 08:03:24 AM »
Wonderful stories, celebrations to the most efficient and amazing tech ever, the human body and two feet.

My own two feet has survived all tech I've ever had since the 60's, they made a two hour run yesterday and are fit for fight again this morning. 100k/week is not a problem, still there are those far better (and older) than my, rather average, feet.

Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 05:17:37 PM »
I'm impressed. For most of my adult life I've been primarily a bicycle user, but for the past year work has taken me to a region of the countryside where cycle commuting would be unsafe to the point of being silly, so now I rely primarily on my little 1.2L petrol ice car (secondhand 2017 skoda fabia). It's pretty efficient, but like many on this forum, I'm planning for my next car to be either electric or a PHEV. Just need to persuade my wife of the merits of this plan.

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 06:03:48 PM »
Primarily I drive a BEV (Tesla Model 3), taking advantage of solar panels on my roof. Hope to swap out the wife's ICE for a PHEV soon (likely Mitsubishi Outlander). We walk whenever it's feasible. There are no trains where I live, and bus routes are very limited. Inter-city routes are mostly overnight only.   

Steven

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic sea ice data and graphs
  • Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »
Looking at the results of the poll (so far), I'm a bit surprised that bicycle has more than one quarter of the votes:

Perhaps not unexpected for a climate forum, the percentage of bicycle users on this forum seems to be substantially higher than for the general population.  E.g. compare with the data below for UK transport (source):

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 05:41:15 PM »
This might fit in here too?

The Social Cost of Automobility, Cycling and Walking in the European Union
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2018.12.016

Cost-benefit-analyses (CBA) are widely used to assess transport projects. Comparing various CBA frameworks, this paper concludes that the range of parameters considered in EU transport CBA is limited. A comprehensive list of criteria is presented, and unit costs identified. These are used to calculate the external and private cost of automobility, cycling and walking in the European Union. Results suggest that each kilometer driven by car incurs an external cost of €0.11, while cycling and walking represent benefits of €0.18 and €0.37 per kilometer. Extrapolated to the total number of passenger kilometers driven, cycled or walked in the European Union, the cost of automobility is about €500 billion per year. Due to positive health effects, cycling is an external benefit worth €24 billion per year and walking €66 billion per year. CBA frameworks in the EU should be widened to better include the full range of externalities, and, where feasible, be used comparatively to better understand the consequences of different transport investment decisions.
-

Shared Humanity

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2019, 05:48:35 PM »
I drive a 2006 Scion xA which I picked up used 2 years ago. It gets 34 mpg and I mostly drive it to and from work. Usually stays parked on the street over the weekend.

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2019, 09:59:34 PM »
From Mo to Fr I use a tricycle to go to work (except on Wednesday I have to use the car because I do sports 30 km away together with an Ethiopian immigrant who suffers from polio). I have only one leg so a bicycle doesn't work for me (I fell off of it several times). But with the tricycle everything works fine. The distance to work is around 2.2 km.
In the weekends I use the car to go to my family (150 km away from my work place).

The poll should open for a second choice (both bicycle and car would represent a typical day).
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

Pmt111500

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2019, 06:26:04 AM »
Won't vote since the weather rules... I'm a car-sharer/bus user/walker on winters and car-sharer/bicyclist/walker during warmer periods. Train would be in use travelling (only) to the larger cities, this mainly means Helsinki area and 4-5 others in Finland. Sad that trains/busses take an extra fee to carry the bicycle, can't really ride longer than ~30 miles/day (unloaded), so longer trips with it are rather impossible. Still dreaming of a long (European perspective) car trip around the Baltic Sea (that's about 2500 miles allowing couple of nice detours) , though...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 06:39:05 AM by Pmt111500 »

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2019, 06:47:51 AM »
The last option in the poll is "other".
-

Pmt111500

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2019, 06:58:27 AM »
The last option in the poll is "other".
Yes, noticed and voted for it. I can manage without a car, but it's very convenient for weekly shopping in winter and occasional visits to more countryside locations outside my bicycling range.

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2020, 01:38:48 AM »
Car (with combustion engine).
I try not to use it, so I am becoming a very sedentary man (always at my home).
I walk when I can.
Toyota Prius C (hybrid)  :) and bike sometimes (hard to do it where I live).
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2020, 02:31:30 AM »
VW Passat gasoline ICE used - 40+MPG very low miles/mo. No replacement expected.

Considered both an E-Bike & a Nissan BEV, but health & apt. living make both untenable. Apt living also lowers my carbon footprint significantly. Just filtering and occasionally heating the pool burned as much carbon as the VW emits in a typical month.

Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2020, 07:16:41 AM »
Bicyclye, walking, public transport (bus). The same transportation as I have used all my life.

All teenagers/children do that here (and most students). Alas, all those children when they want to become grown-ups, because they're growing older, they will think that they'll now need a private luxury >1000Kg car. And of course they want their own separate home on their own piece of land. The bigger the better. They start on the accumulation path and comply to grown-ups' hierarchies: a lavish high-energy lifestyle-of-ease and discontent/want.

Off-topic.
Something strange happens when children enter the culture of grown-ups. They want to belong to and copy/submit to grown-ups' groupculture and they change their behaviour radically. They lose many beautiful human characteristics. How to stop them from wanting to own everything by themselves. How to stop them from starting to look down on others who have less than they have? Empathy is an essential human charasteristic. As is sharing.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 386
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »
I have a range of vehicles to meet the required travel.  None is less than 10 years old and the bikes are more than 15 years old.

I would love an EV but until I can get one for sub £5,000 with a minimum 300 miles range, it is not feasible.

For today I commute with the C3 60mpg (50us), and it is not possible to use public transport between the hotels I stay in and work.

I have no ability to get finance and work is sporadic (probably out of work in March for an indeterminate time),  so there is no chance of finance or a lease.

The EV market needs to age before I can enter it.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2020, 12:26:50 PM »
1) Legs.

2) Hybrid push bike.

3) Lisa the second user 30 kWh Nissan LEAF.

4) Ancient Honda Jazz for emergency long journeys.

Zoe the Renault ZOE has now moved on to pastures new.

Public transport out here on the edge of Bodmin Moor is non existent. However perhaps there is a little light at the end of the tunnel?

https://twitter.com/jim_hunt/status/1222127225522335744
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

philopek

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2020, 10:41:20 PM »
90% this

for the rest 10% I use now use a "Toyota Yaris Hybrid" for replacement of my gas guzzling
"VW Phaeton W12" Dinosaur.

I look up new E-Motorbikes each weak, currently waiting to see the new US-Made "Zero" fully faired touring bike, especially it's range. It's been teased but not yet officially announced.

For me the transition was especially difficult because i was a real car-freak, somehow a familiy pattern, even my long dead mom was crazy after exotic cars.

BeeKnees

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 339
  • Likes Given: 335
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2020, 01:23:42 AM »
Currently a Toyota Prius.
It's a company leased car.

My commute is 30 miles a day and I manage 80+ mpg.  This was forced on me 12 months ago when company relocated from a 10 min walk away.

New company car due in April, currently negotiating salary sacrifice for a Tesla M3.
The Russian State has embarked on a genocide of Ukrainians that is supported by the owner of this forum

Iain

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2020, 11:32:34 AM »

Climate change: 'Gob-smacking' vision for future UK transport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52064509
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2020, 12:39:07 PM »
I'm in self-isolation.

My current transport is very unreliable - my imagination.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)