Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Jøkelbugt / North East Greenland  (Read 74446 times)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 421
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Jøkelbugt / North East Greenland
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2019, 05:49:42 PM »
It is called sea ice
Espen, is there a name for landfast ice younger than that?
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2019, 07:16:30 PM »
The last remaining offshore fast ice in the Northern Hemisphere, I know about, nicknamed "The Untouchable" did survive longer than I anticipated, but I am convinced it will disappear for the first time this season since 2003 , the reason for why it is stucked there is because of the very shallow water in that area, underneath there is a very extensive sandbank called Belgica Banke, and frozen together with many (+70) old grounded glacier icebergs the sea ice becomes very strong and almost impossible to break up.
Why is this phenomena so interesting? Remember not far from here we have the large Zachariae Isstrøm, and my studies show that the breakup of all sea ice in front of and inside Jøkelbugt in 2001 to  2003 started the massive break up and retreat of Zachariae Isstrøm in the years thereafter, but anyway it will be interesting to see if "The untouchable" will rebuild its strength over the winter, it will depend on the amount of glacier icebergs available.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:27:52 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2021, 08:09:49 AM »
The last remaining fast sea ice from the very south to the very north of Eastern Greenland will soon be history for this season (2021):

Please click to enlarge and animate!
Have a ice day!