Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Elections 2018 USA  (Read 30231 times)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
Elections 2018 USA
« on: August 22, 2018, 10:16:23 AM »
Kick it off with an article from the only news publication one needs to read, all the news you need to know, America's  finest news source:

--

It’s clear that the disgusting and disgraceful voters are going to try to influence the midterms ...

We’ve got voters with ulterior motives online, too, trying to influence people by spreading information about candidates on social media. We absolutely cannot as a society allow voters to meddle in our elections, and
if we don’t do something, voters will try to interfere with the 2020 presidential election, too.

... attempting to calm him down by reminding him that there was virtually no evidence to suggest that American voters were interested in influencing midterm elections.

--

https://politics.theonion.com/trump-accuses-voters-of-meddling-in-midterms-1828472837

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
Re: Elections 2018 USA
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 10:37:24 PM »
Balderson(R) wins OH-12 congressional in close election. Rematch in November.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/403480-ap-balderson-wins-ohio-special-election

sidd

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 11:25:51 PM »
I voted "early" in the Florida primary election this afternoon.  My wife had forgotten that our 'regular voting place' is a church because we have early-voted at a branch library for years.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 02:11:53 AM »
Balderdash wins by 1%, in a region that "don'T rump" won be 10% in 2016.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 02:34:04 AM »
Balderdash wins by 1%, in a region that "don'T rump" won be 10% in 2016.
That's just Despicable Flyover Territory. We told them they all deserved a "Special place in Hell", for not having voted for Hillary.
They're nothing more than a bunch of inbred, racist Rednecks. We're the "Party of Inclusion".

/sarc
Terry

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 02:53:31 AM »
They're nothing more than a bunch of inbred, racist Rednecks.
Hey, hey, hey..... Millions of americans love inbreeding, racism & rednecks!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:58:54 AM by litesong »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 04:23:56 AM »
They aren't "real" Americans. They probably aren't cognizant of the proper pronunciation of "forte", the proper use of the salad fork, or the second stanza of the Whiffenpoof song.
Bah, Bah indeed.

Deplorable, Despicable, Disgusting and Declasse - Oh, however do we get that little tic above the E, it looks so - bare without it.
Terry

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 04:47:57 AM »
August 23, 2018 06:22 AM

SOMMERVILLE, MASS.

By the time of November’s election, Democratic candidates and liberal groups will have raised an astounding $1.5 billion in online contributions alone. And nearly every cent of it will arrive first in a mostly empty basement, where a printer the size of a carry-on suitcase processes checks next to a solitary cardboard cutout of former President Bill Clinton.

This is ActBlue, the not-for-profit group that has become a ubiquitous presence in Democratic politics, providing an online fundraising platform for just about every entity inside the party. If you’ve ever donated to one of the party’s candidates, or one of the recently formed grassroots progressive “pop-up” groups, you probably used ActBlue.

Few groups, then, have a better view of how a surge of relatively small, online contributions is reshaping the party’s priorities and campaigns — or how they are poised to upend the upcoming Democratic presidential primary.

“It’s an extraordinary time in politics,” said Matt DeBergalis, ActBlue’s co-founder who now serves as its chairman of the board. “I’m proud that we’re part of it. I’m proud we’ve built what we have, and frankly, I think we have a lot of work to do.”
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/article217164250.html

The top 1% of society and Wall St. do not use ActBlue to funnel their bribes to Washington. They count the votes.
Science is a thought process, technology will change reality.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 06:40:00 AM »
Jack
1.5$B is an impressive war chest, especially when it's use requires no pledges of fealty to any of yesterdays big money donors.
Very good news for the progressive candidates that have traditionally been starved out of contention. Very bad news for Democrats who have prostituted themselves while attempting to get a foot on the rung leading up to easy street.

Is the DNC's acceptance of fossil fuel money getting any traction in the MSM? The potential for backlash against Corporate Democrats is large, but the message needs feet, and few that have a large readership/viewership have any motive to spread it.
Terry

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »
America's Finest News Source:

"GOP leadership released a statement Friday calling for Congressman Duncan Hunter’s resignation following the revelation that he is, in fact, poor."

“This gross lack of personal finances does not represent the Grand Old Party writ large. That Duncan Hunter held actual middle-class status for years, instead of merely pretending to share middle-class values, is absolutely reprehensible behavior unbefitting a Republican congressman.”

https://politics.theonion.com/gop-leaders-demand-congressman-duncan-hunter-s-resignat-1828583936

sidd

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 11:48:11 AM »
Republicans Rejoice!

Hillary Clinton To Headline Democratic Fundraisers to boost the Party's chances in November

Hey, there is some advantage to her doing fundraisers... don't need very big venues- so cheap!

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 12:19:08 PM »
Interesting.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2562

American voters say 48 - 41 percent that the Democratic Party best represents their values. Looking at which party can better handle key issues, voters say:
49 - 41 percent that the Republicans can do a better job on the economy;
47 - 41 percent that the Republicans can do a better job on taxes;

53 - 36 percent that the Democrats can do better on health care;
50 - 40 percent that the Democrats can do better on immigration;
55 - 31 percent that the Democrats can do better on race relations;
44 - 44 percent split on which party can do better on gun policy;
46 percent that the Democrats can do better on foreign policy, with 43 percent for Republicans;
48 - 40 percent that the Republicans can do better on national security;
39 - 34 percent that the Democrats can do better handling government corruption.

So in the end it depends what people think are the more important issues. Different polls give different answers.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 12:32:43 PM by mostly_lurking »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 01:34:48 PM »
What's truly weird is why the liberal progressive left parties cannot ever mount a reasonable case during a campaign that they are as good if not better than the others on national security, the economy and taxes as opposed to being 24/7 Bleeding Hearts and Dog Lovers and crying copious tears it's all Trump's fault - he's to blame - he's a liar, a cheat, a traitor, a psychopath - and it's just not fair!
And the data is there to show:-
- most of the personal tax cuts went to the 1%,
- most  of the Corporation tax cuts have gone into dividends, share buy-backs and management buy backs.
- a good many corporations have used the modest tax cuts to their workers to justify not giving wage increases,
- putting the boot into renewable energy costs jobs,
- getting rid of Obamacare means for many that the 1st Law of 3rd World Medicine now applies "Don't get sick".

Some dead simple stuff on economic and social policy based on simple easily understood data is all that is needed, but blah blah rules, OK.

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 11:18:05 PM »
Lurk
Your Maher clip with Brennan is one of the most bizarre examples of rewriting recent history I'd ever experienced. The mindless hoots of the crowd could have been dubbed from Planet of the Apes, Brennan and Maher's script could have been lifted from 1984 (the book, not the movie), and Brennan's pleas to keep politics out of the CIA would have worked well as a Monty Python bit.

It would be hilarious if the message wasn't to promote a coup, a civil war, and the nuclear apocalypse.
The mindless cheering from the maddened crowd will stay with me long after Mayer and Brennan's memories have faded. This is what a few generations of raising toddlers on Sesame Street has lead to.
Terry

magnamentis

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 11:50:22 PM »
Lurk
Your Maher clip with Brennan is one of the most bizarre examples of rewriting recent history I'd ever experienced. The mindless hoots of the crowd could have been dubbed from Planet of the Apes, Brennan and Maher's script could have been lifted from 1984 (the book, not the movie), and Brennan's pleas to keep politics out of the CIA would have worked well as a Monty Python bit.

It would be hilarious if the message wasn't to promote a coup, a civil war, and the nuclear apocalypse.
The mindless cheering from the maddened crowd will stay with me long after Mayer and Brennan's memories have faded. This is what a few generations of raising toddlers on Sesame Street has lead to.
Terry

you have no clue how much a love (agree to) what you're saying, if we only could put a few thousand lines with such eye-opening stuff and digest it as fast as that. this is an almost endless story and at times i simply have switch off for not getting mad.

whenever i'm invited or attend an event where that kind of cheering and brainwashing stuff occurs, no matter with whom and what, i stand up and run. at best without comment, sometimes with an outcry ;)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 09:17:09 PM »
Norht Carolina redistricting posponed. republican gerrymander to remain unti after election.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/04/north-carolina-redistricting-midterms-807155

sidd

Martin Gisser

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 11:22:46 PM »
So I watched some Jimmy Dore... until his first factual glitch.
Yes, Dore is a Trumputin propagandist.

Dore: "Bloomberg, who instituted stop-and-frisk in New York"
Bullshit. While Bloomberg defended it, this is much older. More blame could be laid on Rudy Giuliani. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop-and-frisk_in_New_York_City

Republicans Rejoice!

Hillary Clinton To Headline Democratic Fundraisers to boost the Party's chances in November

Martin Gisser

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 01:45:49 PM »
Yes, Dore is a Trumputin propagandist.
Maybe it's not obvious enough for some, so let me explain:

Like in 2016 the Trumputin strategy is to make D voters stay home, by bombarding them with bullshit about how bad the D party is and that there's no real difference to the R T party.

And this strategy works very well, as we can even see on the polit threads here: Many "progressives" enthusiastically absorb any negative point (true or not) about the D party.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2018, 02:30:36 PM »
That's hard to do given the insulting things you say about others.
You should read your own stuff some time, troll. Your constant projection is almost funny. Back to ignoring you.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »
An interesting survey was conducted recently.  This was in response to a poll last year that found that 40% of each party membership is solely due to opposition to the other party, as opposed to support for their own party.  Ironically, many of the views held by these party members about the opposition are dead wrong. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/democrats-are-wrong-about-republicans-republicans-are-wrong-about-democrats/

While those Independent Trump voters have definitely soured on him, there is no particular love for the Democratic party either.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-millennials/exclusive-democrats-lose-ground-with-millennials-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN1I10YH

This environment would seem ripe for the emergence of a new political party. 

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 04:18:30 PM »
Once again a thread is dominated by two people who should know better.

I think I will get my USA election news and opinion from everywhere and anywhere but here. (Sorry, Klondike Kat - I like your stuff but...)

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2018, 06:39:50 PM »

I think I will get my USA election news and opinion from everywhere and anywhere but here.

Probably a good idea.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 09:44:43 PM »
I posted this article in another thread, but a passage in the article applies here also: Democrats cannot win without the heartland. But more and more they ignore their voters in the heartlands.

--
 Too often, talk about left-behind regions is met by eye-rolling from cosmopolitans who view it as yet another attempt to summon sympathy for woebegone Trump voters. But this betrays a misreading of who lives in these struggling cities. Yes, they’re home to white working-class Obama-Trump voters. They’re also each home to tens of thousands of African-Americans, many of whom voted for Hillary Clinton, and many others of whom stayed home, seeing nothing on offer to address their plight. (Dayton proper is 40 percent black.) It was the combination of these voting blocs that explained Clinton’s losses in Midwestern states—not just voters turning to Trump, but Democrats in Milwaukee and Detroit and Cleveland who stayed home or voted third party.

Nan Whaley, the mayor of Dayton, joked darkly in a recent interview with me about how it took the 2016 election to draw notice to the plight of Middle America. “I mean, like look, I think the coastals need to pay attention to this because we can destroy elections,” she said. “You know, that’s what we can do, and I mean, then we get your attention.”

--

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-chasm-among-american-cities-is-growing-ever-wider/

sidd

Pmt111500

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 10:12:04 PM »

I think I will get my USA election news and opinion from everywhere and anywhere but here.

Probably a good idea.

Testing syntax

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2018, 11:44:09 PM »
Glen Ford over at the Black Agenda Report rejects both wings of the bird of prey:

" fascism is “mainstream” politics in the United States ...the warmongering, Russian stooge-hunting, neo-McCarthyite, corporate Democratic “Resistance” and the race-mongering, Dixiecrat-Republican, law and order-loving (but also white mob rule-friendly) troglodytes aligned with Donald Trump.  "

"Both are American exceptionalist -- another term for imperialist -- and both are thoroughly capitalist"

" Blacks, immigrants, Muslims and others are all invited to join the corporate Democrat “Resistance” to Trump ...  the devil’s bargain demands that we must accept austerity and war"

"The corporate fascists are just as phony as Trump. Their race “neutrality” means only that they have no problem with Black presidents and Black generals that wage racist wars against people of color; or with Black heads of Homeland Security that pursue the imprisonment of “Black Identity Extremists”; or with Black politicians overseeing their sectors of the Mass Black Incarceration Gulag.

What separates Trump’s old school cracker fascism from the smoother, Democrat corporate version, is that the Clinton-Pelosi fascists invite Black people to fully participate in their own destruction -- and to feel honored at the invitation."

"Two fascisms offer even less choice than one."

https://blackagendareport.com/911-legacy-two-contending-fascisms

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 12:36:22 AM »
Tim Ryan looks set in the Mahoning vally. No real surprise there, he is a democrat who gets Trump voters to vote for him.

"That means roughly 45,000 of Ryan’s supporters in 2016 were Ryan-Trump voters."

" “We are all for the ‘fight for 15,’ but my people were making $40 an hour, and now they’re making $15,” Ryan says. “We need to be a party saying, ‘We are not going to be happy until we get those $30, $40, $50 an hour jobs back for working-class people.” "

And he doesn't like Pelosi.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/09/tim-ryan-2020-presidential-candidate-yoga-beer-mindfulness-interview-profile-219738

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2018, 09:21:37 PM »
News from Ohio: Sherrod Brown cruising to reelection, Cordray and Dewine in knifefight for governor:

"Trump won 17 of the Ohio counties that Brown won in his last campaign, which Renacci’s team cites as evidence of Brown’s vulnerability to a Trump-backed challenge. But Brown’s team cites that same statistic as evidence of his appeal to Trump voters. Rich Rankin, the top United Auto Workers official in Ohio, told me he recently saw 15 high school friends for their fantasy football draft, and while 11 of them supported Trump, all 15 support Brown."

Trump voters will vote for democrats but they have to be the right democrats.

" labor provides the party’s organizational muscle, and Democrats can’t win here unless union members come home."

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/17/ohio-2018-elections-senior-citizens-sherrod-brown-dewine-cordray-219914

Meanwhile in NJ, Menendez in a close one for senate reelection, even democrats think he's a crook:

https://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2018/09/16/bob-menendezs-political-fight-for-survival-609491

I went thru NJ a few times a month ago, as a friend of mine put it: "Hell, I vote democrat, and I dunno if i can hold my nose and vote for him. With democrats like these, who needs republicans."

https://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2018/09/16/bob-menendezs-political-fight-for-survival-609491

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2018, 07:48:49 AM »
Obama came out for Cordray against Dewine in ohio governor election.

https://apnews.com/744d967512fd4b71992ec07483d128e7

Might have been a bad move. Cordray is better than Dewine for ohio, but a lot of people in ohio dont like obama. Lost their houses, wound up on the street. Got no help and the bankers didn't go to jail during obama years.

Cordray knows that, was upfront and personal with the CFPB, got no help from obama. But he can't say that.

Obama showin up don't play well outside upscale Cleveland and Columbus. And as we saw, they don't have enuf voters to count.

Stay away, obama, Cordray's got a shot if you don't screw it up.

Now the next bad thing obama could do is come by for Sherrod for senate. Sherrod's got it in the bag, but obama might screw it up for him too.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 11:15:19 PM »
Apparently more NJ dems are of my friends opinion: can't hold my nose and vote the party line no more

"A Democratic Brick Township council member broke ranks Monday to endorse a Republican candidate for U.S. Senate, amid a close race that has placed a once sure-fire – but scandal-ridden – candidate up against a GOP newcomer.

Councilman James Fozman appeared Monday with Bob Hugin, the Republican candidate for U.S. Senate, at Mantoloking Bridge County Park in Brick to endorse Hugin over Democratic rival U.S. Sen. Bob Mendendez."

"Bob Hugin’s support continues to grow and extend across party lines as Teddy Price, Democrat Freeholder Candidate and President of the Toms River Democrats, endorsed his Republican campaign for U.S. Senate ..."

"Bob Hugin today announced his fourth endorsement by a New Jersey Democrat, Branchville Mayor Tony Frato."

https://bobhugin.com/another-democrat-endorses-hugin/

http://brick.shorebeat.com/2018/08/brick-councilman-breaks-party-lines-endorses-gop-senate-candidate-hasnt-ruled-out-switching-parties/

https://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/09/14/yet-another-democrat-endorses-gop-challenger-to-menendez-in-nj-senate-race/

https://bobhugin.com/democratic-mayor-endorses-hugin/

I guess Menendez is just too much of a crook.

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 01:32:08 AM »
Nah
He may be a crook, but he's our crook.

The Democrats for all of their problems have never been seen as "Deplorables", crooks perhaps, con men maybe, but never Deplorables.

With this fact in mind Joe Biden has reached across party lines to seek votes for his fellow party members. Not wishing to repeat Hillary's vote losing mistake of labeling her opposition as Deplorables, Joe now describes Trump supporters as "The Dregs of Society".

Calling prospective voters "The Dregs of Society" should silence them. Who would knowingly subject himself to exposure as a Dreg?

Unlike the Deplorables who came out in force and drove poor Hillary from her rightful victory, Joe's Dregs will sit out the coming election cycle in darkened rooms ensconced on sagging couches. Watching Fox News and Roller Derby Re-Runs as they contemplate through beer tainted tears the error of their ways & the wreckage of their lives.

Thank god for America. Thank god for the DNC. And especially thank god for leaders like Hillary and Joe. Leaders that can look past petty party politics and that can find names for the deplorable dregs whose votes they require.
/sarc

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/former-vice-president-joe-biden-trump-supporters-are-the-dregs-of-society_09172018
Terry
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 03:54:09 PM by TerryM »

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2018, 01:37:31 PM »
I find it hard to believe that so many would vote for a crook, just because he is our crook.  At some point, even the most die-hard will throw in the towel.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »
I find it hard to believe that so many would vote for a crook, just because he is our crook.  At some point, even the most die-hard will throw in the towel.
Evidence in Israel says this can go on for a very long time.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2018, 06:49:24 AM »
This article could go in several threads, but it has some important lessons from 2016, drawn from the black community in Milwaukee, Wisconsin 2016.

" the predominantly black neighborhoods surrounding it currently have the highest rate of incarcerated black men in the country"

" the uncomfortable fact remains that black voter turnout in 2016 was down in over half the country"

“ We had Baltimore, we had Charlotte, we had Milwaukee. I wonder—how does that factor into a community’s confidence in having an African American president, if during the tenure when we had [one] we’ve seen some of the most atrocious murders by police officers of unarmed black men? We’ve seen the decline in African American wealth.”

“Did we lose confidence in the power or the ability of getting things done by a President? Were we coming off of a hangover or fatigue? Do we still have confidence in democracy at all?”

"The city of Milwaukee, where almost 90% of the region’s black males live, has lost over three-quarters of its industrial jobs since the 1960s. In metro Milwaukee, all of the region’s net job growth since the 1980s has occurred in the suburbs, where few working-age black males live due to past and present housing segregation, and where transportation links between the central city and suburban jobs are poor "

"There ain’t no such thing as Democrat and Republican"

" the widespread messaging was that people of color simply had too much to lose with a Trump presidency ...  But many of them felt that they already lost."

"A growing number of black people and black women in particular appear not only to have lost faith in the electoral process in 2016, but to be losing faith in the two major political parties. "

" some liberals are poised to cling to the Clintons’ triangulation playbook and abandon meaningful economic appeals to black constituents."

"the Democratic Party just takes us for granted that we’re going to vote for them. The Republicans attempt to just peel us off and disenfranchise us. In order for us to be taken seriously as constituents, I think we have to start a ticket and articulate our demands ourselves. "

Read the whole thing:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/10/the-color-of-economic-anxiety

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2018, 10:23:25 AM »
Since beginning of October-  12 races move towards GOP   2 move towards DEM.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/house/2018_elections_house_map_race_changes.html

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »
Since beginning of October-  12 races move towards GOP   2 move towards DEM.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/house/2018_elections_house_map_race_changes.html

Yes, the initial bump that the Democrats got during the Kavanaugh confirmation process seems to have evaporated after the Senate testimony and FBI investigation.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2018, 04:40:23 PM »
538 shows the independents breaking for the Republicans, at least since since Ford's claims of being groped 35 or 36 years ago were raised.

A very flawed candidate for the Supreme Court's nomination was decided not by examining and questioning his decisions as an adult, but rather by attempting to raise questions about his interactions with girls when he was still too young to vote.

The good Senator's votes broke mainly along party lines, but the undecided, independent voters seem to have favored Kavanaugh's defenders by a wide margin.
Both camps gained followers, but for every 2 undecideds that went to the Democrats, 9 told pollsters they now supported Republicans.

Did they all think Ford lied under oath? I doubt it.

I think some remembered instances where they had been accused with little or no compelling evidence.
I think some believed that their own "coming of age" histories wouldn't stand too much exposure.
I think some felt that Kavanaugh, if guilty, had obviously learned, since no one was questioning his actions as an adult.
I think some doubted that his accusers had spotless records.
I think that many assumed that Kavanaugh's judicial record must be "OK" or they wouldn't have had to go this far back to find something that he'd done wrong.

The Kavanaugh kerfuffle has shown Trump's Republicans as winners, and Democrats as sore losers.
One month to go.
Terry

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2018, 06:59:39 PM »
538 shows the independents breaking for the Republicans, at least since since Ford's claims of being groped 35 or 36 years ago were raised.

A very flawed candidate for the Supreme Court's nomination was decided not by examining and questioning his decisions as an adult, but rather by attempting to raise questions about his interactions with girls when he was still too young to vote.

The good Senator's votes broke mainly along party lines, but the undecided, independent voters seem to have favored Kavanaugh's defenders by a wide margin.
Both camps gained followers, but for every 2 undecideds that went to the Democrats, 9 told pollsters they now supported Republicans.

Did they all think Ford lied under oath? I doubt it.

I think some remembered instances where they had been accused with little or no compelling evidence.
I think some believed that their own "coming of age" histories wouldn't stand too much exposure.
I think some felt that Kavanaugh, if guilty, had obviously learned, since no one was questioning his actions as an adult.
I think some doubted that his accusers had spotless records.
I think that many assumed that Kavanaugh's judicial record must be "OK" or they wouldn't have had to go this far back to find something that he'd done wrong.

The Kavanaugh kerfuffle has shown Trump's Republicans as winners, and Democrats as sore losers.
One month to go.
Terry

Terry,

I think similar inability/disinterest to look at such nuances is what led to the assurances that Clinton was going to win. Nobody was paying attention to the people in the middle that were simply sick of the same old shit. Trump was a protest vote for many. I expect similar folk will vote to protest the Dems antics in the Kavanaugh hearing. Issues? What issues? We've got scandal, man!

colchonero

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2018, 04:20:11 PM »
NYT poll (still ongoing) seems to be neck on neck, Cruz has between 5-9% lead, while Tennessee Republicans seem like they are waking up from winter (summer) sleep

ABC 15  AZ Senate poll that came out today, has McSally at 47% and Sinema at 41%.  Senator Whitehouse has 20+ points lead (as of latest poll) in RI Senate race.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2018, 05:14:23 PM »
NYT poll (still ongoing) seems to be neck on neck, Cruz has between 5-9% lead, while Tennessee Republicans seem like they are waking up from winter (summer) sleep

ABC 15  AZ Senate poll that came out today, has McSally at 47% and Sinema at 41%.  Senator Whitehouse has 20+ points lead (as of latest poll) in RI Senate race.

Yes, every poll taken in Texas since the start of summer has shown Cruze with a single digit lead. Not huge, but significant.  Recent poll have shown an average lead of 6%.

The Tennessee polls taken in August and September (4 total)  showed the race a dead heat.  The two taken in October give Blackburn a 5-8% lead.

In Arizona, I am sure how much to trust that poll.  This is the only race it has polled, so it does not have a track record.  All the other polls show Sinema with a 3% lead.  Still, this is McCain and Flake territory, and both were popular GOP Senators. 

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2018, 04:22:56 PM »
One more moves towards the GOP.
Seems Dem's stuck at 205 while GOP drips upwards.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2018, 07:07:46 PM »

Interestingly, the Dems biggest lead was 206-191 on Sept. 14.  This was the same day that the Ford allegations against Kavanaugh were made public. 

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2018, 09:50:17 PM »

Interestingly, the Dems biggest lead was 206-191 on Sept. 14.  This was the same day that the Ford allegations against Kavanaugh were made public.
By Sept. 12 the Intercept was writing about a letter Feinstein was sharing that related to "an incident that involved Kavanaugh and a woman while they were in high school". Also mentioned was "Debra Katz, who works with #MetToo Survivors".

Although Ford's name wasn't released until the 14th, the direction that the hearing as headed in was clear on the 12th.
https://theintercept.com/2018/09/12/brett-kavanaugh-confirmation-dianne-feinstein/
Terry

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2018, 04:48:42 AM »
Apparently the Kentucky Democratic candidate for the Senate was fibbing about his support for Kavanaugh.
The supposed support alienated some of his volunteers, then he alienated more by saying the support was only designed to aid in his election.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-10-11/veritas-undercover-tennessee-democrat-lied-about-kavanaugh-support-pander-votes

Sounds as though the Republicans win this seat.
Terry

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »
Apparently the Kentucky Democratic candidate for the Senate was fibbing about his support for Kavanaugh.
The supposed support alienated some of his volunteers, then he alienated more by saying the support was only designed to aid in his election.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-10-11/veritas-undercover-tennessee-democrat-lied-about-kavanaugh-support-pander-votes

Terry

Tennessee, not Kentucky  :)   

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2018, 08:08:29 AM »

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2018, 01:43:02 PM »

Terry

Yes, it is not looking good for Bredeson.  This is the trend in the last four polls:

9/15    CNN   Bredeson      +5
10/2    FOX   Blackburn     +5
10/5    CBS   Blackburn     +8
10/11  NYT    Blackburn   +14

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2018, 06:12:49 PM »

Terry

My Bad!
Thanks for keeping me honest.
Terry

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2018, 07:28:15 PM »
America's Finest News Source on outdated methods of vote suppression:

"many states were still relying on outdated methods to disenfranchise their voters"

"many of these antiquated methods were rife for human error and could result in thousands of minorities being allowed to vote."

https://politics.theonion.com/report-many-states-still-relying-on-outdated-methods-t-1829711550

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2018, 01:19:22 AM »
Democrats abandon rural/labour consituencies in favour of cities: Wilson at the Hill on Minnesota

"The Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, some worry, is losing the farmer and the laborer."

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/411172-how-americas-urban-rural-divide-is-changing-the-democratic-party

sidd