Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Tesla glory/failure  (Read 1144594 times)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
Re: Tesla glory/failure
« Reply #1300 on: February 06, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
Regarding price cuts and US demand, I think the situation is indeed one of not enough demand at previous price points, especially with the tax credit expiring. So does Elon Musk, by the way, as shown in the Q4 conference call transcript.
Tesla's strategy in this regard seems to be cutting production and selling costs, passing on these savings in the form of price reductions, thus reviving US demand. The intrinsic demand for the product is certainly there, but is price sensitive.
I believe these price cuts do not reduce gross margin, but rather maintain it at the same level.
The situation in Europe and elsewhere is different, as there is still a lot of pent-up demand at higher price points. However, once that initial demand tapers off the issue will be quite similar, and I expect the same strategy of price reductions and lower-cost versions will follow.
Operator

Our next question comes from Emmanuel Rosner with Deutsche Bank.

Emmanuel Rosner

First, I wanted to ask you about the short-range Model 3. What are your latest thoughts in terms of timing of introduction? I think at some point, you had in mind to do it in the - maybe the first half of this year. And just to clarify, when you're sort of talking about the outlook for 2019, the number of deliveries up 50% and then the margin target for Model 3 to get to 25%, does that assume that you're introducing a lower range, the short-range Model 3 at some point during the year?

Elon Musk

Well, you could call it the standard range, but it's maybe short by Tesla's standards, but it's long range by other manufacturers' standards. So - but yes, we expect to introduce the standard range Model 3 sometime - probably the middle of this year is a rough, rough guess. And we're working hard to improve our costs of production, our overhead costs, our fixed costs, just costs in general. I think this past year, while extremely difficult, has driven us to a high level of financial discipline. I think we're way smarter about how we spend money, and we're getting better with each passing week. Yes.

Emmanuel Rosner

And so to be clear, the - you expect to reach at some point this year - or you're targeting at some point this year 25% gross margins on Model 3, and that's despite introducing the lower-end - or just the standard range Model 3. Is that correct?

Elon Musk

Yes.

Emmanuel Rosner

Okay. And, I guess, my follow-up would be on the demand side. So you're talking about 50% increase this year. You said a few times that it could be higher than this. I think you just mentioned in the previous question 350,000 to 500,000, if I understood well. So what is sort of like what drives the cautious outlook that's in your letter? Because it feels like it's the - it's just basically four times the fourth quarter run rate, which would imply sort of 50% for the full year but not really a lot of growth versus what you just accomplished. So, I guess, how do we think about the total demand for 2019, especially if you introduced this - the cheaper version?

Elon Musk

Well, we need to bring the Shanghai factory online. I think that's the biggest driver for getting to 500K plus a year. Our car is just very expensive going into China. We've got import duties. We've got transport costs. We've got higher-cost labor here. And we've never been eligible for any of the EV tax credits. A lot of people sort of dependent on incentives. In fact, we are [indiscernible] EVs, we have the least access to incentives. It's pretty crazy because there's so many companies that - countries that have put price caps on the EV incentive, which affects Tesla. And in China, which is the biggest market for EVs, we've never had any subsidies or tax incentives for vehicles.

So it's - it is eligible for that. But it sounds like that's going to be reducing in China in the coming years. But, really, bottom line is, we need the Shanghai factory to achieve that 10k rate and other cars be affordable.

The demand for - the demand for Model 3 is insanely high. The inhibitor is affordability. It's just like people literally don't have the money to buy the car. It's got nothing to do with desire. They just don't have enough money in their bank account. If the car can be made more affordable, the demand is extraordinary.

BeeKnees

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 339
  • Likes Given: 335
« Reply #1301 on: February 06, 2019, 09:54:36 PM »
Model S and X sales down vs 2018. 

Do you have a link to this?
Thanks
The Russian State has embarked on a genocide of Ukrainians that is supported by the owner of this forum

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #1302 on: February 06, 2019, 09:55:41 PM »
I believe these price cuts do not reduce gross margin, but rather maintain it at the same level.

That is cute, but totally absurd. They are price cuts to the same exact car. How does that not reduce the margin?!?!? <snip, someone's on moderation again; N.>

Regarding price cuts and US demand, I think the situation is indeed one of not enough demand at previous price points, especially with the tax credit expiring

Congrats! You would pass one of Econ 101s most basic concepts.

Tesla's strategy in this regard seems to be cutting production and selling costs, passing on these savings in the form of price reductions, thus reviving US demand. The intrinsic demand for the product is certainly there, but is price sensitive.

I'm sure it is fun to make up concepts in economics, but demand is intrinsically about price. Otherwise demand for everything is infinite.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:59:54 PM by Neven »
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 06, 2019, 09:58:10 PM »
Model S and X sales down vs 2018. 

Do you have a link to this?
Thanks

Well its the 8th and 5th year the car has been out their so it should be pretty obvious. Also, competition has finally arrived. And they cut the variants which were 75% of sales. But if basic logic won't do, how about this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/tesla-layoffs-details-reduced-hours-model-x-model-x-production.html
big time oops

BeeKnees

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 339
  • Likes Given: 335
« Reply #1304 on: February 06, 2019, 10:53:54 PM »
Well its the 8th and 5th year the car has been out their so it should be pretty obvious. Also, competition has finally arrived. And they cut the variants which were 75% of sales. But if basic logic won't do, how about this:
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/tesla-layoffs-details-reduced-hours-model-x-model-x-production.html
I can't see any figures there. 
A previous link posted for January US sales showed a 9% increase for Model S compared to Jan 2018 and a 35% increase for Model X for the same comparison, so I was wondering if you had  figures to dispute this.
The Russian State has embarked on a genocide of Ukrainians that is supported by the owner of this forum

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #1305 on: February 07, 2019, 01:06:24 AM »
January sales are seasonally lower than December for all luxury automakers globally.
Tesla’s focus in January was producing ~20,000 cars put on ships headed for Europe and China.

—— BREAKING:
Kristof Lambrecht (@Kristof_1978) 2/5/19, 1:28 PM
Customer deliveries of model 3 start next week. I got confirmation from two people in Belgium  that will receive their car on the 14th. #tesla #model3 #TheWaitIsAlmostOver
https://twitter.com/kristof_1978/status/1092852604365914113
- UPDATE customer deliveries of model 3 start this evening at 6 in the Netherlands  #tesla #model3
- Customer cars are also now being dropped off by carrier at service center in Belgium #tesla #model3

——
Number Of Identified Tesla Model 3 Orders In Europe Close To 20,000
February 5, 2019
Almost 2/3 of the Model 3 were ordered in Norway, the Netherlands and Germany
The voluntary dataset of Tesla Model 3 orders placed in Europe currently indicates over 19,300 (as of January 31, 2019), which is roughly 5,500 more than a month earlier.
As not all customers were willing to add their order to the list, and only top of the line versions are available, we can safely bet that more than 20,000 people are waiting for their cars.
The latest data shows also that the number of orders increased in all major markets. Norway’s share – with over 5,100 – decreased from one third to more than one fourth. On the other hand, the Netherlands went up from less than 8% to 20% and becomes the second biggest market (over 3,800) according to the data.
So far, the best selling models in Europe (Nissan LEAF, Renault ZOE) had around 40,000 sales in 2018, so the Tesla Model 3 has a big chance to become #1 this year.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/02/05/tesla-model-3-orders-europe-20000/
Table of data at the link.

(There must be many reasons why someone would choose to report, or not report, their purchase in this database.
But I look at the data and see so many Norway orders, with few reports, and I see, “So many people here have an EV; it’s not a big deal.”
Versus Germany, also many orders, but many more reporters, suggesting feelings of, “Hell yes, I’m buying an EV!” ;D )

———-
Alex (@alex_avoigt) 2/5/19, 2:00 AM
Germanys car registrations in January (YoY): - 1.4%,
ICE: -8.1%
Diesel: + 2.1%
Hybrid + 66.4%
BEV +68.2%

Audi: +3.7%
Porsche: - 53.8%
BMW: - 7.5%
VW: - 6.5%
Mercedes: - 4.3%
Tesla +117%

P.S. @Tesla M3 arrived tonight in Europe
https://twitter.com/alex_avoigt/status/1092679368869117952

——-
Norway's EV sales are about to skyrocket to new high with Tesla Model 3 arrival
I expect that those first 5,000 Model 3 vehicles are scheduled to be delivered in the first quarter, which would indicate that Tesla could more than double its deliveries in Norway and easily push BEV sales to over 50% of the market.
https://electrek.co/2019/02/06/norway-ev-sales-skyrocket-tesla-model-3-arrival/

——-
2018 Global EV Sales by OEM (Updated)
Looking at the 2018 sales by Automotive Group…
Interestingly, half of the Top 10 belongs to Chinese OEMs, and if we add Tesla to the Disruptors team, Legacy OEMs are a minority in the Top 10. Is this a sign of the New World Order in the automotive industry?

Looking at last year standings, and comparing it with 2018, there are noticeable changes, Tesla jumped from #5 to the leadership, Renault-Nissan dropped from #1 to 3rd, Geely dropped two positions, to #6, SAIC was up two spots to #6, while the Volkswagen was down two spots, to #9.

Highlighting the changing times, we have two new Automotive Groups in the Top 10, with Hyundai-Kia jumping to #8, and Chery reaching #10, kicking out General Motors, now #11, and Toyota (down to #15!) out of the Top 10. 

The Toyota case is particularly worrying, not only because it is one of the largest Automotive OEMs, and in this ranking is only #15, but also because in a fast growing market, it was one of the few (the only?) OEMs to lose sales (-10%) regarding 2017...

BEVs Only
Looking only at BEVs, the ranking would be like this:
1. Tesla (245.240);
2. BAIC (165.369);
3. Renault-Nissan (150.374);
4.  BYD (105.420);
5. Chery (64.897).
The disruption is even more visible here, with only Renault-Nissan on the Top 5, and Tesla winning even more easily.
http://ev-sales.blogspot.com/2019/02/2018-global-sales-by-oem.html
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: February 07, 2019, 01:13:44 AM »
ValueAnalyst (@ValueAnalyst1)2/6/19, 10:44 AM
$GM doesn't expect to be profitable on electric vehicles until "early next decade," while $TSLA has been profitable for two quarters. §§
https://twitter.com/valueanalyst1/status/1093173629557370881
< That’s based on GM estimating that they can still sell Bolt after $35k Model 3 comes out. So I doubt $GM can be profitable “early next decade”.
ValueAnalyst: Precisely. This is exactly correct. ...
ValueAnalyst (@ValueAnalyst1) 2/6/19, 11:24 AM
 I think Tesla may reduce [Average Sale Price] across all vehicles by $1k per quarter; no other company can compete with that.
https://twitter.com/valueanalyst1/status/1093183734189305856
§§Edit:  ValueAnalyst is commenting here from what he heard listening to GM’s Q4 2018 Earnings Release and Call.  It sounds like Tesla will probably have more free cash flow than GM this year.

—— Daimler cuts dividend as downturn, R&D costs hit Mercedes
(Reuters) - Daimler cut its dividend on Wednesday after fourth-quarter operating profit plunged by 22 percent, hit by trade wars, rising costs for developing electric cars and an industry downturn that has dented even the most profitable carmakers.
Daimler said the return on sales at Mercedes-Benz cars fell to 7.3 percent in the fourth quarter from 9.5 percent in the year-earlier period as emissions tests led to supply bottlenecks and prices for luxury vehicles deteriorated.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-daimler-results-idUSKCN1PV0KP

—-TOYOTA CUTS FORECAST
LiveSquawk (@LiveSquawk) 2/5/19, 11:31 PM
Toyota Q3 Net 180.9b Yen; Est. 587.8b Yen
Toyota Q3 Oper Income 676.13b Yen, Est. 663.90b Yen
Toyota Cuts Fy Net Forecast To 1.87t Yen From 2.30t
Toyota Still Sees Fy Net Sales 29.5t Yen, Est. 29.90t Yen
https://twitter.com/livesquawk/status/1093004177633087489
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:29:59 PM by Sigmetnow »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: February 07, 2019, 01:16:26 AM »
Florida PSC Says Tesla (TSLA) Can Offer Residential Solar Equipment Leases in Florida
The Florida Public Service Commission (PSC) today issued a declaratory statement that affirms Tesla, LLC (Nasdaq: TSLA) can offer residential solar equipment leases in Florida. In its declaratory statement, the PSC found today that:

• Tesla’s residential solar equipment lease, through Tesla’s SolarLease, does not constitute a sale of electricity;
• Offering its solar equipment lease to Florida consumers will not cause Tesla to be a public utility under Florida law; and
• The residential solar equipment lease will not subject Tesla or its customer lessees to Commission regulation.

PSC rules have long allowed leasing of renewable energy equipment, as long as the lessor is not effectively selling electricity to the customer. Homeowners can purchase or lease equipment to generate electricity for personal use and also benefit from interconnection and net metering with their local utility.

In its decision today, Commissioners agreed for the third time in the past year that a solar equipment lease is not a retail sale of electricity. In 2018, the PSC issued similar declaratory statements for Sunrun, Inc., and Vivint Solar Developer, Inc. PSC approval is not required for a company to lease solar equipment to Florida residents.

“While today’s declaration is limited to the facts in Tesla’s petition, companies operating under the same facts can rely upon this declaration as well,” said PSC Chairman Art Graham.
https://www.streetinsider.com/dr/news.php?id=15080777

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: February 07, 2019, 02:20:30 AM »
So Sig, no attempt at basic math to support your absurd claims, but LOTS of twitter link based on Tesla propaganda. Got it. I'll buy some more puts.
big time oops

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 386
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #1309 on: February 07, 2019, 11:06:22 AM »
So it's just a lie that they are building the model y, pickup, semi, roadster, new factory, new service centers, new charging stations, roof tile?

Not at all.  The Semi production capability is in progress and will, probably, need capital to launch.  However investment is well under way.

The China plant ground is bought but construction is now ongoing.  Partially capital and partially state funded.  Capital expenditure will follow.

Model Y?  You ignored my point about shared lines producing different models with marginally different make up, but radically different product and prices.

Right now?  Tesla has said it is maximising profit to reduce the cost of the Model 3.  Capital expenditure bears that out.

Just time to wait, as ever, to see that Tesla actually does 90% of what it says.  Just as a checkpoint, achieving 90% of your business goals is way over the top.  Most companies are extremely happy with 75%.  That is why you set targets and goals, to keep moving and you set them high.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 07, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »
Brings new meaning to the phrase "marketing gimmicks" doesn't it?

Yes they have kept the price point but made it a TCO price.  Inventive, yes.  But, honestly, what did you expect?  The state cut their subsidies and someone has to pay the difference.  In a company of the age of Tesla that is going to be the customer.  Nobody else.

It would appear that the only people who expect to get cutting edge tech with a bottom end performance car, for the cost of a cheap Japanese family saloon, made in the US; are the people who should be jumping up and down trying to get the US onto EV's....

Amazing.

Robert A. Heinlein

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 07, 2019, 12:37:16 PM »
Tesla’s website now shows the cheapest Model 3 available, one with a mid-range battery, at $34,850, which the company says is $42,900 minus $3,750 in “potential incentives” and $4,300 in “gas savings” over six years. 

Brings new meaning to the phrase "marketing gimmicks" doesn't it? 
I strongly dislike Tesla's approach of showing "net" prices on its website. Customers are intelligent and can make their own calculations. Price should be displayed as is.

zizek

« Reply #1312 on: February 07, 2019, 02:13:48 PM »
Brings new meaning to the phrase "marketing gimmicks" doesn't it?

Yes they have kept the price point but made it a TCO price.  Inventive, yes.  But, honestly, what did you expect?  The state cut their subsidies and someone has to pay the difference.  In a company of the age of Tesla that is going to be the customer.  Nobody else.

It would appear that the only people who expect to get cutting edge tech with a bottom end performance car, for the cost of a cheap Japanese family saloon, made in the US; are the people who should be jumping up and down trying to get the US onto EV's....

Amazing.
Tesla was doing this before the subsidy was cut.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1313 on: February 07, 2019, 02:34:47 PM »
Does it also show how much savings you make if you buy the car but then never drive it?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 07, 2019, 04:44:51 PM »

Does it also show how much savings you make if you buy the car but then never drive it?

Apparently, something approaching the monthly cost of the car loan –– once a Tesla network is up and running and you can let other people use your car.  Or, today, if you rent out your car on Turo.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-deux

https://techcastdaily.com/2019/02/03/interview-tesla-side-hustle-sharing-evs-02-04-19/

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1315 on: February 07, 2019, 11:37:26 PM »
Sorry, Sig, I was being sarcastic!

To make up, here's a video of a bunch of bros (one of them running the most popular podcast in the world) who drool over Tesla and Musk:

The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: February 08, 2019, 02:12:02 AM »
Here's an article from a long/realist perspective discussing the recent price drop.
Tesla's Perplexing Pricing by Numbers Nerd.
Summary

Tesla reduced the prices of their cars $1,100.

It was the second price drop in the past 45 days.

Timing points to a demand issue.

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: February 08, 2019, 11:33:48 AM »
Totally ignoring the fact that Tesla has a new Chairman and at least one very strong new member of the board, that conclusion is probably correct.

Allowing for those facts, we can't be sure until we either see more price reductions or something is said.

One thing is clear though.  One hell a lot of the reservations were for the $35k version.  Tesla has to move towards that now as it will unlock high demand.

The Auto industry is in crisis right now, VAG/Mercedes/TATA owned JLR.  JLR has just decided to move factories to Eastern EU, which might be deemed a Brexit issue if it were not for the fact that those cars are going to be behind a tax barrier for their strongest customers....  The US and the UK.  China is their largest drop in sales due to global issues in the vehicle market.

Even in EV's there is going to be a knock on from that.  Especially EV's which are sports car class and marketed as such.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: February 08, 2019, 09:40:55 PM »
Sorry, Sig, I was being sarcastic!

I know! ;D  And I couldn’t help but reply with an example or two anyway. ;)
I’d just listened to the ‘Make Money with My Tesla on Turo’ podcast, and was struck how customer-focussed it was.  It’s not the first time I’ve heard of someone doing that.  Offering cleaner choices to people who can’t afford an EV is surely the Next Big Thing:

Lyft's new 'Green Mode' lets riders request an EV
Green Mode is the next step in Lyft’s Green Cities initiative. Last year, the company announced all its rides were carbon neutral through carbon offset purchases. All EV charging for Lyft will be covered by 100 percent renewable electricity.
Lyft is also introducing EVs to its Express Drive program. Express Drive allows drivers to rent a car for the purpose of driving for Lyft. These drivers will now be able to rent EVs, and for the time being, unlimited charging will be included in the weekly rental rate. The Express Drive EV option will start in Seattle and Atlanta before rolling out to other regions.
https://electrek.co/2019/02/06/lyft-green-mode/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: February 08, 2019, 10:17:18 PM »
This will really blow the minds of those claiming No Demand:  Tesla just dropped the price of Enhanced AutoPilot in China to… $0.

Vincent (@vincent13031925) 2/7/19, 9:54 PM
Breaking:
Now all Tesla Model 3 ( PM3, LR AWD & LR RWD) in China are included Enhanced Autopilot feature with no extra charge, was 46300 RMB.
—-
- Update:  Confirmed with the Tesla sales specialist in China, Standard EAP in all Model 3 possibly only “temporarily”
https://twitter.com/vincent13031925/status/1093704500240510976
Images (in Chinese) at the link.

Why? Potentially because Hardware version 3.0 (which will allow Full Self Driving) — which was to be rolled out in Q1 2019 — which likely means the cars now being sent to China have it.  If Tesla is confident that major features of FSD will be available this year, it makes sense to reposition AutoPilot as a standard feature, to further differentiate Teslas from other cars that are beginning to advertise similar features.  It means a loss of profit in the short term, but FSD will quickly make up for it, since no other car with FSD will be available for individuals to buy, at any price, any time soon.

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: February 09, 2019, 09:55:40 AM »
Lyft's new 'Green Mode' lets riders request an EV

In the UK this would invalidate your insurance unless you specifically state that you are using the car for ride hailing.  Not even business would do as general business does not cover ride hailing.  On top of that the Lyft terms of service are contradictory.  First of all they state that you must have valid insurance for your vehicle, then they state that they have insurance to cover an accident.  As I stated at the beginning, using your car for Lyft would invalidate most UK insurance unless you already covered yourself for this kind of use. Which would make the Lyft insurance redundant.

It is an interesting idea but, I believe, will fall foul of regulators very rapidly once accidents start to happen.

Robert A. Heinlein

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: February 09, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »
This will really blow the minds of those claiming No Demand:  Tesla just dropped the price of Enhanced AutoPilot in China to… $0.

Vincent (@vincent13031925) 2/7/19, 9:54 PM
Breaking:
Now all Tesla Model 3 ( PM3, LR AWD & LR RWD) in China are included Enhanced Autopilot feature with no extra charge, was 46300 RMB.
—-
- Update:  Confirmed with the Tesla sales specialist in China, Standard EAP in all Model 3 possibly only “temporarily”
https://twitter.com/vincent13031925/status/1093704500240510976
Images (in Chinese) at the link.

Why? Potentially because Hardware version 3.0 (which will allow Full Self Driving) — which was to be rolled out in Q1 2019 — which likely means the cars now being sent to China have it.  If Tesla is confident that major features of FSD will be available this year, it makes sense to reposition AutoPilot as a standard feature, to further differentiate Teslas from other cars that are beginning to advertise similar features.  It means a loss of profit in the short term, but FSD will quickly make up for it, since no other car with FSD will be available for individuals to buy, at any price, any time soon.
This certainly smacks of not enough demand in China, and a method to increase sales without hurting short-term margin (as AP hardware is shipped in all cars anyway). I think they planned on producing a certain batch for China this quarter, and are trying to make sure all of it is ordered
There could be an alternative explanation, that they are looking to quickly log lots of AP miles in China, to accelerate AP's knowledge of the Chinese road system, but I strongly doubt that except as a maybe a secondary consideration.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: February 09, 2019, 01:46:27 PM »
Do companies reduce their prices for reasons other than demand?  You betcha!  For example: when they are about to come out with a new version of their product, with better features.  You don’t want recent customers to feel they got a bad deal, when the product is improved shortly after their purchase (often with a price increase).

Demand for Teslas can soften for many different reasons.  But demand that lowers from perhaps three times what the company can produce, to twice what they can produce, is not a crisis.  Particularly when other demand levers (leasing, FSD, $35k model) are in the works.

Will Lowering Your Prices Increase Profits?
If you have an elastic demand curve:
      When you raise prices slightly, volume goes down substantially.
      When you lower prices a slightly, volume goes up substantially.
Conversely, if your volume stays roughly the same when you increase your prices, you have an inelastic demand curve. This can be very powerful, and it typically results from having a premium brand, solid distribution, few competitors or simply being under-priced.
http://www.marketingmo.com/strategic-planning/will-lowering-your-prices-increase-profits/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: February 09, 2019, 02:22:54 PM »
Rate of charge is controlled by the charger (current and temperature constraints) as well as the car (battery management software). 

Tesla Model 3 reaches new record charge rate of 126 kW – faster on CCS than Superchargers
The first European production Tesla Model 3 stopped at a 175 kW CCS charging station and recorded a new charge rate record for the electric vehicle: 126 kW – 5 kW higher than on than on Tesla’s own Superchargers.
https://electrek.co/2019/02/08/tesla-model-3-new-record-charge-rate-125-kw-ccs/

- From the comments, 126 kW is about four times what a Bolt owner has ever seen using CCS charging. 
- Tesla Supercharger version 3.0 coming soon!

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: February 09, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »
Elon Musk (@elonmusk) 2/9/19, 8:50 AM
Just left Zeebrugge, now Tilburg, then Tesla HQ in Amsterdam & Oslo tonight to review service in Norway. Exciting to see thousands of Model 3’s on their way to owners in Europe!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1094232094912512000

Tesla is pumping out every car it can to Europe and China.  From the Q4 financial call:
Musk:  Well, like I said, we're thinking about demand almost 0 right now. It's really getting the product there in time and not having a ton of cars on the water and in a quarter and then for China getting cars there before there's a potential rise in tariffs.

China is the world’s largest car market. Thinking little ol’ Tesla can fulfill that pent-up demand in just a quarter or two is silly. ;)

Model 3 will start production in China later this year, and demand there unquestionably exists:
In Q4, we delivered 63,359 Model 3 vehicles to customers in North America. In January 2019, we started to produce Model 3 vehicles for Europe and China, and the car is now fully certified for sale in these markets. The market opportunity for Model 3 in Europe and China exceeds North America based on the most recent sales of mid-sized premium sedans. Model 3 was designed from the outset for a global market, and shares more than 98% of its parts in common across its regional variants
Market bar chart below.
Source: Tesla Fourth Quarter & Full Year 2018 Update

I’m thinking free Autopilot could be a sign that FSD is coming soon, as I described above — or, it could be a simple goodwill gesture to Tesla’s new host country.  I’m not terribly familiar with the cultural norms in that respect, but it makes sense even in purely economic terms, given all the financial assistance China has already given: first wholly owned manufacturing facility in China, sole bid on the giga 3 land, accelerated factory build over the holidays, and local low interest loans — just for starters.  China loves Tesla; there’s many big reasons for Tesla to love China back!

Edit: the Chinese characters in the second image below say, “Come to China to build.”
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 05:43:31 PM by Sigmetnow »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: February 10, 2019, 04:59:17 PM »
Would you buy a new EV from this company?

Jaguar Land Rover takes $4.4B hit, writes down value of cars, plants
Jaguar Land Rover has posted a 3.4 billion pound ($4.4 billion) quarterly loss after it took a big write-down in the value of its cars and plants.

It is the third straight quarterly loss for the British automaker, which has been hit hard by U.S.-China trade tensions, low demand for diesel cars in Europe and Brexit worries. Last month JLR said it would cut about 10 percent of its 42,500-person workforce, mostly in its home market. ...
https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/jaguar-land-rover-takes-44b-hit-writes-down-value-cars-plants

———
This (from 2016) will give you an idea of different OEM’s ICE assets soon to need writing off:
http://tesla.dauger.com/disrupts/different.html#incumbentsshackles
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:04:19 PM by Sigmetnow »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: February 10, 2019, 06:15:37 PM »
Recognizing a hit now and switching to EVs actually increases their chances for survival.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: February 10, 2019, 09:44:19 PM »
Recognizing a hit now and switching to EVs actually increases their chances for survival.

I agree they must switch to have any hope of surviving!  However, the burden of switching means success is definitely not guaranteed.

From the Dauger analysis:
For comparison, the Germans might produce their first 200+-mile BEV in at least 2019, equivalent to Tesla’s first such BEV in 2007 (the Roadster), so therefore the Germans are at best 12 years behind. If they could catch up, they should have done so already, and gas-car makers are financially unmotivated to make long-range BEVs because it would disrupt the assets that keeps them profitable: their gas-car cash cow.

The incumbents cannot embrace long-range BEV because it would kill their gas-engine cash cow, so they must move at most slowly, providing only short-range BEVs that do not disrupt. Tesla, with no such burden in the gas-engine vertical, has the unique opportunity to disrupt any submarket it chooses.

See next post:  Audi and Porsche now admit significant difficulties with their EV transition plans.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: February 10, 2019, 09:52:29 PM »
California:
Marc Benton (@marc_benton) 2/10/19, 10:14 AM
1/2 - I went to a Fiat dealership yesterday to return our leased Fiat 500e. When I walked in, in the middle of the day, there was literally NO ONE there. No customers, no sales people, no service people and the front doors were open with high end Alfa Romeo cars in the showroom.
https://twitter.com/marc_benton/status/1094615483339304960
2/2 - I had to call them to get someone over so I could turn in my car. He said they are an appointment only showroom now, they let go all their sales people. All I could think was “wow, Tesla is disrupting the WHOLE industry...in every facet”. @Tesla @elonmusk #ElonTheDisrupter

——
Ross Gerber (@GerberKawasaki) 2/10/19, 12:11 AM
From the Germans themselves in Manager Magazine. Deep dive into the failing Audi and Porsche EV production platforms. Trying to compete with Tesla is basically impossible. $tsla
https://twitter.com/gerberkawasaki/status/1094463915667279872
Text image below.

Vladimir Grinshpun (@VGrinshpun) 2/9/19, 8:40 PM
That PPE, btw, is years behind $TSLA M3, and is scrambling to match it.
And, talking about cash burn, VW spending more than $2B to develop e-tron platform is MULTIPLES of what $TSLA spent on M3 R&D. ...
https://twitter.com/vgrinshpun/status/1094410638200324097

Tesla Model 3 cost surprised Porsche and Audi after reverse-engineering
https://electrek.co/2019/02/09/tesla-model-3-cost-surprise-porsche-audi-reverse-engineering/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 10, 2019, 09:55:36 PM »
300 Level 2 chargers (not superchargers) installed at the port of Zeebrugge for the planned 3,000 Teslas per week deliveries.
From the comments, "ICO invested around 2.5 million euros (3 million $) at its terminal in 300 charging stations that can program eight cars in sequence. In the long term, 1,500 are planned. The cars leave 80 percent charged to the consumer".
ICO Zeebrugge, Belgium had to install 300 superchargers as part of the weekly 3000 cars Tesla contract. Charging to 80% at arrival. - teslamotors
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/ap4zut/ico_zeebrugge_belgium_had_to_install_300/?st=JRZ4LZJ1&sh=b5188e84
Photo below.

How long until most parking lots look like this? ;)

——-
Tesla Model 3 = #1 Best Selling Electric Car in World, 7% of Global EV Market in 2018
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/09/tesla-model-3-1-best-selling-electric-car-in-world-7-of-global-ev-market/
List below.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: February 10, 2019, 10:03:34 PM »
A year ago, Jim Chanos was the great bear on Tesla, repeatedly predicting its failure, and was quoted everywhere. Now…?

Where In The World Is Jim Chanos?
In the case of Tesla, clearly, the company needed a good bit of financing for a few years to get its massive manufacturing and operations up to a significant scale and to get the Model 3 to market in high volume. With a bit of bad luck (or good luck in the case of Chanos), Tesla could have run out of money before getting to a high production level and could have then collapsed. If stumbling, even a bit of a nudge from an influential player could have forced the collapse. However, what basically happened is Tesla achieved what it set out to achieve, started mass producing the Model 3, started making profits, and got back to a healthy, strong running pace — far beyond the stumbles. That wasn’t good for Chanos’s proclamations that Tesla was approaching a flaming death. ...
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/10/where-in-the-world-is-jim-chanos-tesla-pravduh-king/

——
The SEC is taking shortsellers to court who have lied about companies to improve the short position.  Tesla shorts next?
Bonnie Norman (@bonnienorman) 2/9/19, 10:58 PM
"After establishing his short position, the complaint (SEC) charges that Lemelson made a series of false statements to shake investor confidence in Ligand, lower its stock price, and increase the value of his position."
https://twitter.com/bonnienorman/status/1094445436096589824

Steve Jobs (@tesla_truth) 2/8/19, 8:35 AM
“The SEC’s complaint, filed in federal court in Massachusetts, alleges that Lemelson used written reports, interviews, and social media to spread untrue claims, including that Ligand was “teetering on the brink of bankruptcy”

WELL GEE WOULD YA LOOK AT THAT, THATS ILLEGAL, HUH?
https://twitter.com/tesla_truth/status/1093865790288289794

magnamentis

« Reply #1331 on: February 10, 2019, 11:12:09 PM »
considering that cars of that size are mostly occupied by 1-2 people and circulate with an empty trunk i find this a good idea, probably 1 5-Liter Canister can provide sufficient juice to reach the next charger and/or home base.

as long as the generator is light enough i see no huge disadvantage to load one on longer trips to be on the safe side or to deal with eventually occupied charging stations and the according waiting times etc. etc. etc.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 11, 2019, 02:23:10 AM »
For comparison, the Germans might produce their first 200+-mile BEV in at least 2019, equivalent to Tesla’s first such BEV in 2007 (the Roadster), so therefore the Germans are at best 12 years behind.
I disagree with this. The Germans are planning for 2019/20 cars that are in the category of Models S and X (though not identical), and are about 7-8 years behind. Battery tech is nowadays much advanced, which I think generally puts them about 5 years behind, not needing to be the trailblazers and to invent everything from scratch. But that is still way behind, and they are stupidly dragging their feet instead of racing ahead.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:35:35 PM by oren »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: February 11, 2019, 02:37:32 PM »
The author is German auto engineer Alex Voigt.  Feb 10, 2019.

To All German Automakers: Believe Me, You Are Still Sleeping!
As a German engineer, I am today more concerned than ever about the ability of our auto industry to survive and prosper.

You may remember having read the very same sentence last year. I know, I sound like a broken record, but it actually is on repeat, not broken. Today we are indeed on the record, because what we are experiencing these days is true history and will be remembered and talked about in the future. Mark this day in your calendar, mark it in your diary, because this day is the beginning of an ending and the start of a beginning.

Today, while I write this sentence, the Model 3 from Tesla, an affordable fully electric vehicle that works in the ordinary life of a human, was delivered in the thousands to waiting customers in Europe. I am not talking about just a few hundred per country or a few thousand, but a bigger picture — future annual deliveries in the hundreds of thousands in Europe alone. That has never happened before, and your kids or their kids will ask you when you are old, ugly, and everything hurts how it felt, so it’s my advice that you better remember it.

Some of the European customers have been waiting for years, some just ordered a month ago. Thousands of people who drive a German car today are waiting impatiently for their first American car (the first American car they’ve ever bought in their life). It is both a first American car and a first electric car for most of them, and both of those qualities separately have previously been very convincing reasons to make sure you do not order. Today, everything is different, the world has changed.

I live in Germany in a town of one of the 4 largest German premium automakers and can happily testify that after my article was published a few months ago, people did not burn my house down, I still have my job, and I still have my citizenship. The last time I left the country, at least, my passport was still valid. I am still a German — for now.

What I wrote in September and what I write today is intended to help accelerate the transformation of the German auto industry into a sustainable future to prosper for the next century. In that respect, I believe simply that I have a duty as a German to ring the bell once again and to help wake the German auto industry up.

I hear quite often that I am not fair to all of those popular and famous global corporations that were repeatedly declared dead decades ago but always came back to succeed and be on top in the end. They have the people, they have the facilities, they have plenty of resources, and if they really want, they will win. They did in the past what they were required to do. They have not always been the first ones, but they have been ahead of the pack in the end.

All of those claims are correct, but one important item is always overlooked here. We are not talking about cars with internal combustion engines (ICE) anymore. These are electric vehicles, and in an electric vehicle world, everything is different. Nothing from the drivetrain or engine is the same. Nothing from the software is the same. And if you look at the interior, the additional space allows you to design it completely new without the limits you had before. It feels different driving, behaving, and listening to an EV. It does not talk like a duck. It does not walk like a duck. It is no duck!

This is very important to comprehend, because to build an electric vehicle, if you have ICE tools, ICE experience, and ICE people, it is very hard. It is harder than most believe because it looks so similar from the outside — despite so much difference inside. We have seen the results from German automakers building EVs. Some of them are actually ICE vehicles with a battery and electric powertrain instead. Others are quite ugly. Some are nice to look at but fall behind in all specifications Tesla has proven possible today.

What is the status of German electric vehicles (BEVs) today?
Some extracted facts out of a long list:
   •   BMW sold 34,829 BEVs globally in 2018 (14% of Tesla and shrinking).
   •   VW sold around  33,000 BEVs in 2018 (13% of Tesla).
   •   Audi sold almost no BEVs in 2018.
   •   Mercedes-Benz sold no BEVs in 2018.
   •   Porsche sold no BEVs in 2018.
   •   BMW sales did grow 1.8% overall, but its BEV sales decreased.
   •   VW grew 0.2%, with about 0.5% of its total vehicles being BEVs.
   •   Audi shrank (3.5%), with no BEV sales.
   •   Daimler grow 2.4%, just a small number of Smart BEVs produced and sold.
This is the true and sad reality we Germans are facing today. This is the reality we are living in today. This is not acceptable. And this is just sad.

To all of those now explaining that growth rate for a still small company like Tesla is a perception trick compared to growth rate of a large producer, I would respond that comparing just the growth rate of all the automakers’ BEVs makes Tesla look even better and them worse, even if you add PHEVs and hybrids. You also could use units instead of the percent and it does not change the picture.

Besides this really sad information, all of those incumbent automakers try to influence the public opinion with what they call “electrified vehicles,” which are in fact cars with combustion engines and carbon emissions. They are able to drive a few miles on electricity and then drive on gas or diesel.

Those cars should not be called electrified vehicles at all because they have combustion engines, drive with gas or diesel, and pollute the air we are all breathing. They are very similar to every other ICE car. Those cars should not appear in electric vehicle statistics, in my opinion, because they are not electric vehicles as long as emissions are exhausted.

German automakers release blended sales numbers as if hybrids are comparable to the vehicles Tesla sells, lumping them all together under the “electrified” label and often declining to give transparency to consumers because they know they won’t look good.

BMW, with shrinking fully electric vehicle sales, claims victory in global electrified sales. VW claims 60% growth but does not give numbers for pure electrics. Audi does not give any numbers at all for electric vehicles or electrified vehicles. All of them know exactly why they don’t share more specific numbers. If they told us the truth, it would not be received well. It would be ugly. They essentially cheat consumers again with blended data as they did before with dieselgate. They did not hesitate one second to deceive customers again. ...
Much more in the article:  https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/10/to-all-german-automakers-believe-me-you-are-still-sleeping/
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:58:00 PM by Sigmetnow »

Zythryn

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1334 on: February 11, 2019, 04:31:29 PM »
Some companies a realizing that the upcoming band payments are easily handled with Tesla’s current cash flow.

https://electrek.co/2019/02/11/tesla-tsla-stock-jumps-wall-street-profit-model-3/

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: February 11, 2019, 04:53:40 PM »
Well written.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: February 11, 2019, 05:53:13 PM »
Click to embiggen.

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #1337 on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:39 PM »
What about the Chinese manufacturers, where more than half the EVs and PHEVs are now manufactured? The next coming Chinese wave for orange-top to complain about.

magnamentis

« Reply #1338 on: February 11, 2019, 10:13:50 PM »
when i was a little kid american cars were way way ahead of european cars, nice, big, automatic, electric windows etc. etc. and it was THE thing to have either an american car or at least a british noble brand or PERHAPS kind of the biggest mercedes.

the same will happen again. i say this without being in disagreement or contradict that current state but the moment some of the german and other european automakers will start in ernest, others will lose significant market shares and a few years later will be overtaken on their home ground.

i hope i remember this post in a few years and link it from time to time.

furhter the major german automakers have other standards they wanted to reach before releasing a EV in big numbers to the average customer.

some of those goals they reached like for example smoothest ever intreplay of breakes and recuperation etc which cannot be seen in any manual but has to be "FELT" and experienced and other goals they did not fully achieve because some tech like battery tech developed slower than they expected which had an impact on weight and component goals as well as the waiting in this aspect was unnecessary and/or not fully successful (2-3 years)

if you drive and look at an iPace that is not from an abosulte tech giant jaguar when compared to bmw, audi and MB, it's already at least on par with tesla but it's over all the better car which you only can tell if you drive all of them which i mostly did.

i can say that i drove almost any of the current EV top models and the difference in parts is like driving a cheap chevy or a beatle as compared to one of the german top lines from any brand.

i'm talking about sounds, (not engine LOL) the entire feel of craftmanship that emits from some cars by some top brands and compare them to most american italian or french brands.

i only can recommend to drive and not only compare manuals and specs. the difference in finish, quality and ultimately innovation have been the reason why german cars are a synonym for top quality (diesel gate is a legal issue not a technological one, they are capable to abide by the law but decided not to)

and so on, you'll see, we gonna talk in 5-10 years from now.

and no, i'm not german and i don't even drive a german car after i sold my phaeton i stick to japanese hybrids and motorcycles for the time being, just to prevent any suspicion of bias ;)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: February 12, 2019, 12:57:17 AM »
What about the Chinese manufacturers, where more than half the EVs and PHEVs are now manufactured? The next coming Chinese wave for orange-top to complain about.

China’s automakers are making lots of EVs, but they are generally low range or hybrids, and lesser quality than foreign automakers.  (I can’t find it at the moment, but there is a video of a Chinese EV that could barely move forward after it was stopped on a hill.)  Even traditional OEM’s like GM and Toyota make EVs for China that will not (cannot?) be sold in North America or Europe.  So I expect China EV exports to increase only slowly.  However, it is expected that competition from the new Tesla China Factory will encourage Chinese automakers to offer better and longer-range EVs.

China Is Building Too Many Electric Cars
https://insideevs.com/china-too-many-electric-cars/amp/

The cheapest Chinese electric cars are coming to the US and Europe
https://qz.com/1541380/the-cheapest-chinese-electric-cars-are-coming-to-the-us-and-europe/

Stalls, stops and breakdowns: Problems plague push for electric buses
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-electric-buses-20180520-story.html

Why Shares of Chinese Tesla Rival NIO Fell 17.4% in December
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/01/07/why-shares-of-chinese-tesla-rival-nio-inc-fell-174.aspx

Tesla’s Gigafactory 3 is encouraging China’s local EV makers to be more competitive
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-gigafactory-3-model-3-chinas-local-ev-revolution/

This article looks at dozens of automakers and their plans for China:
A Reuters analysis of 29 global automakers found that they are investing at least $300 billion in electric vehicles, with more than 45 percent of that earmarked for China.
https://graphics.reuters.com/AUTOS-INVESTMENT-ELECTRIC/010081ZB3HD/index.html

Edit, just came across this:
The vast majority of historic Chinese EV sales were low-quality, low-speed EVs produced by small, unknown, indigenous Chinese automakers in second- or third-tier cities. Most of them have been micro-EVs.

The Reality About Chinese Electric Cars Could Surprise You
Ninety-percent of EV companies will fail in the next few years. And it’s a good thing.
Don’t Fear Chinese EVs Invading the US. It’s the Other Way Around.

Feng An believes that safety and quality concerns will keep Chinese EVs from entering global markets. “Chinese don’t make the same quality of batteries like Japanese and Korean, but they are so much cheaper,” he said. Quality will come much later. First comes a rapid ramp-up of scale, as well as big reductions in cost.
https://insideevs.com/reality-chinese-electric-cars-surprise/
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 01:59:41 AM by Sigmetnow »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: February 12, 2019, 01:20:42 AM »
Well written.

I was particularly struck by his admission that Tesla enters the traditional German ICE car market with two major strikes against it: one, it is an EV, and two, it is American.  Which makes the overwhelming demand for the new, unseen-in-Europe Model 3 all the more remarkable:
Thousands of people who drive a German car today are waiting impatiently for their first American car (the first American car they’ve ever bought in their life). It is both a first American car and a first electric car for most of them, and both of those qualities separately have previously been very convincing reasons to make sure you do not order. Today, everything is different, the world has changed.

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #1341 on: February 12, 2019, 03:07:25 AM »
The vast majority of historic Chinese EV sales were low-quality, low-speed EVs produced by small, unknown, indigenous Chinese automakers in second- or third-tier cities. Most of them have been micro-EVs.

The next sentence is "He later clarified that by the end of 2018, the share EVs represented by microcars had dropped to about 37 percent". i.e. his analysis is not keeping up with the fast moving reality of the Chinese market. Just like people thought that Japanese cars were crap in the 1970s.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #1342 on: February 12, 2019, 02:19:21 PM »
I am not sure the power wall is a topic on the Tesla glory / failure page but I think it should be so here is a status update on my power wall project. I have received a confirmation notice that my order has made it through the first part of the approval process. This sets my tier level for the rebates here in the PG&E area of Calif.  My installer says there may be a bit of a waiting period but from my reading of all things Tesla waiting is to be expected. Installer says it may be several months due to power wall availability.
 We did have a power outage with a storm that dropped trees and sheared off a power pole in town last week. I fired up a generator and ran some extension cords for the freezers. No big deal but it  would be if I wasn't home. Vacations aren't really an option so I am usually around anyhow. If I happened to be away it would be a mad race to get home , something I would prefer to insure agains't. The storm last week also shut down the 101 freeway so even getting home in time might get problematic in some cases. Maybe I am rationalizing but I still think the power wall project makes sense for my farm.

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: February 12, 2019, 03:37:05 PM »
(diesel gate is a legal issue not a technological one, they are capable to abide by the law but decided not to)

Not quite.  If you dig a LONG way through the reports, you find one very different view.  It was a statement from inside VAG that they realised, when the new Euro regulations started to bite, that they were 5  years behind their competitors on conforming with the emissions standards.  The determination was that it was not possible for VAG to catch up and be compliant without expending more money than they "wanted to spend".

I have known, for a long time, that PSA diesel engines are way ahead of their German counterparts.  Dieselgate was a problem of underinvestment at a time of critical change and financial crisis.  Instead of biting the bullet and digging deep they chose to cheat.  That is neither quality nor technology leadership.

It seems to me that they are doing something similar with EV.  Too little, too late, with a lot of marketing.  I'm sure they are relying on the fact that EU trade barriers will keep them competitive with lesser products.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: February 12, 2019, 04:22:09 PM »

The next sentence is "He later clarified that by the end of 2018, the share EVs represented by microcars had dropped to about 37 percent". i.e. his analysis is not keeping up with the fast moving reality of the Chinese market. Just like people thought that Japanese cars were crap in the 1970s.

So China is now moving to making more quality EVs.  Great!  From comments I’ve read, it’s as much because of domestic customer preferences, and government intervention, as it is due to expected future competition.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: February 12, 2019, 04:27:25 PM »
Jaw, meet floor! :o This would be an excellent way to get the good ol’ boys on board with EVs.
(And perhaps why Elon feels comfortable investing in his far-out pickup truck option for Tesla. ;) )

Scoop: GM Reportedly Working On Electric Pickup Truck With Tesla Powertrain
Remember, Chevrolet raced the Bolt to market in order to be the first US automaker offering a long-range, semi-affordable electric car. It cares about going electric, maybe.

A source somewhat close to the heart of a big new development at GM has informed CleanTechnica that GM is indeed working on an electric pickup truck, and it is based around a Tesla powertrain. As in, the majority of the guts of the truck will be made by Tesla. ...
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/12/scoop-gm-working-on-electric-pickup-truck-with-tesla-powertrain/

Edit:
I can’t wait for the first bunch of loud, coal-rolling trucks to pull into a Supercharger station, ready to ICE some spots... only to find trucks already parked there.  Charging. :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 05:08:25 PM by Sigmetnow »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: February 12, 2019, 08:41:51 PM »
If true, that is a very interesting development, with lots of possibilities and implications.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1347 on: February 12, 2019, 08:56:54 PM »
Re: power outage, mad rush to get home

no neighbours who can fill in ?

sidd

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: February 13, 2019, 12:08:17 AM »
Daimler CEO Zetsche about the EQC:
"We are certain that we won't be able to satisfy the demand for 2019 and likely not for 2020."
When asked about the production capacity the journalist got a "no comment"
https://twitter.com/alex_avoigt/status/1095273128190709760

Long announced, delivered late - and then hardly to buy. Anyone interested in a Mercedes EQC will probably have to be patient.
Elektro-SUV von Mercedes EQC schon vor Marktstart ausverkauft
https://amp.n-tv.de/auto/EQC-schon-vor-Marktstart-ausverkauft-article20852697.html

————
$TSLA's technology/cost advantage is shown clearly in Audi's new E-tron:
Audi E-Tron - $96,629 base price, 241 mile range, 0-60 in 5.7sec, selling at a loss
Tesla Model X - $88,000 base price, 270 mile range, 0-60 in 4.7sec, 25-30% gross margin

Audi E-Tron Now On Sale In UK: Priced From £71,490
Audi’s new all-electric e-tron SUV has gone on sale ahead of the first customer deliveries in April.
Prices start from £71,490 ($91,875) after the £3,500 Plug-in Car Grant has been applied, but the top-of-the-range Launch Edition variant comes in at £82,240. [$105k]
https://insideevs.com/audi-e-tron-now-on-sale-in-uk-priced-from/

———
Nothing has changed since 2012. Threatened EV competition for #Tesla still “right around the corner”
Images of broken promises at the link.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1094970184358682629.html

———
[Jaguar needs to raise $1B in 14 months to replace maturing bonds; seeks “alternative funding”]
https://twitter.com/valueanalyst1/status/1095307589372514307
Text image below.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:19 AM »
"There is a significant chance the world economy is headed for a recession in 2019, according to Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman."
https://twitter.com/valueanalyst1/status/1095035373464571905

Elon Musk:  “And we expect that exponential to continue. So, with the deliveries this year being -- even if there's a global recession, we're expecting deliveries this year to be about 50% higher than last year. And this -- it could be a lot more than that.”
Tesla (TSLA) Q4 2018 Earnings Conference Call.  Jan 30, 2019.

———
Vincent (@vincent13031925) 2/11/19, 11:13 AM
Tesla is stepping up its GF3 construction in Shanghai, China. On Feb 11th, media learned from ppl close to the project that $TSLA Shanghai GF3 (Phase I) has started energy conservation assessment, & several relevant departments participated in the review.
https://www.cnbeta.com/articles/tech/817047.htm  [Article in Chinese.]
https://twitter.com/vincent13031925/status/1094992938931605504
Update:  Chinese media also mentioned Tesla Shanghai Gigafactory construction will be completed this summer, 2019.
**No further info about it just the phase 1 construction of the whole project. **

———-
[When your friend tells you, “OK, you can borrow my Tesla.  Just recharge it before you return.”]
https://twitter.com/liketeslakim/status/1095116443782402048
Image below. ;D