Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Tesla glory/failure  (Read 1144295 times)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
Re: Tesla glory/failure
« Reply #1400 on: February 19, 2019, 10:31:10 PM »
On the Road to Full Autonomy With Elon Musk
https://ark-invest.com/research/podcast/elon-musk-podcast

Article and 30-minute ARK Invest podcast.  First ten minutes discuss numbers of EVs expected to 2023. Around minute 10, they begin discussing autonomy.  Musk says Tesla’s Full Self Driving features will be complete by the end of this year, but not yet fool-proof enough to roll out to customers.  Tesla’s fleet data capturing will allow the development of solutions for most of the remaining % of corner cases.  “Enough nines” should be attained by the end of next year — but, when regulators will permit it to be released is a different question.  Europe tends to be more conservative than the U.S. and China.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: February 19, 2019, 10:37:35 PM »
In other news:

-new estimates of Tesla US inventory have grown to over 10,000.

-it has become known that AutoPilot is actually more dangerous than no AutoPilot
I have no knowledge of the other info you posted, but these two pieces are from FUD sources as far as I am aware, certainly the second one.

Probably the Shorty Air Force counting cars in parking lots again. ::)  Below, the Emerald Ace is picking up thousands of Teslas to take to China.

Edit: 
Fun fact: Tesla inventory includes vehicles in transit.
From the 10-k:
Our cash flows from operating activities are significantly affected by our cash investments to support the growth of our business in areas such as research and development and selling, general and administrative and working capital, especially inventory, which includes vehicles in transit.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:19:59 PM by Sigmetnow »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: February 19, 2019, 10:48:09 PM »
Here’s a less biased and more professional review of Tesla’s 10-k:

Here’s what Tesla is promising for 2019
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-what-tesla-is-promising-for-2019-2019-02-19

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #1403 on: February 20, 2019, 12:44:19 AM »
In other news:

-it has become known that AutoPilot is actually more dangerous than no AutoPilot
I have no knowledge of the other info you posted, but these two pieces are from FUD sources as far as I am aware, certainly the second one.

Bingo.

You honestly believe Bloomberg to be a organization of FUD? And Quality Control System Corporation is just FUD? Why have do their articles get published in scientific journals like Injury Prevention, The American Journal of Public Health, The New England Journal of Medicine? How have they managed to fool Scientific American into citing their research if they are just spewers of FUD?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-13/nhtsa-s-autopilot-claim-that-tesla-touted-disputed-in-new-study

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/26455/nhtsas-flawed-autopilot-safety-study-unmasked

Just out of curiosity, is the only litmus test for determining if something should be considered FUD that it is critical of Tesla? Cuz honestly, I see no other criteria being applied.

As for the 10,000+ vehicles...try basic logic. Tesla admits to having 7,000 in inventory at the end of the year (this doesn't include at least 2,000 which they reclassified as PP&E). Then the tax incentive dropped almost $4k. Tesla has had to drop prices already twice this year. (Helpful Econ 101 Hint: businesses tend to drop prices because inventory is not selling.) But if you don't wanna try out thinking for yourself, here:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-02-19/cybersleuth-claims-uncover-over-10000-unsold-tesla-model-3s-us-inventory

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-demand-exclusive/exclusive-teslas-delivery-team-gutted-in-recent-job-cuts-sources-idUSKCN1PY00J

Conspiracy Alert:  Another interesting thing is that Musk has claimed that Boring Company wants to test its tunnels with 4,000 cars per hour. It would be very Muskian if SpaceX/Boring Company was buying thousands of cars from Tesla. (Nothing compares to the fraud that can be committed if you control multiple companies. Musk has used this trick before, but this time he can take it further because SpaceX/Boring is privately held.)

Fun fact: all of Musks wealth is paper wealth based on the value of Tesla and SpaceX. Thus, keeping their theoretical value high is EVERYTHING to Musk. SpaceX did a capital raise in Dec which was supposed to raise half a billion dollars valuing the company at just a $30B. (It only raised about half of its target.) The same day that the raise was announced, Musk mortgaged many of his homes to Morgan Stanley for almost $100 million. (Morgan Stanley is also who Musk has taken out something like a billion dollar loan from, collateralized by his Tesla shares.) It seems extremely likely that Musk took a loan against his homes to participate in the capital raise and try to substantiate the $30 billion valuation. I imagine he does the same with Tesla's stock price. Take a loan out against his shares, use the cash to bid up the price during super low volume trading times. I bet he also made at least 100,000 of the model 3 reservations (which at the time was to convince the board they had the future cash flow to be able to buy Solar City).

SpaceX has quite obviously run out of money (as has Musk personally, hence the mortgages). Not sure how else one can explain building a "rocket" out of foil that blows over in 50mph winds and crushes itself. That thing was obviously never going to fly. Musk tried to brush it off and claim it would be repaired in a few weeks. That plan seems to have been scrapped, cuz now they are just building a cap for the lower portion. It really is incredible. You can't make this stuff up. Musk, however, can (albeit likely with a lot of help from ambien, LSD, and 420).
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 20, 2019, 12:56:09 AM »
On the Road to Full Autonomy With Elon Musk
https://ark-invest.com/research/podcast/elon-musk-podcast

Article and 30-minute ARK Invest podcast.  First ten minutes discuss numbers of EVs expected to 2023. Around minute 10, they begin discussing autonomy.  Musk says Tesla’s Full Self Driving features will be complete by the end of this year, but not yet fool-proof enough to roll out to customers.  Tesla’s fleet data capturing will allow the development of solutions for most of the remaining % of corner cases.  “Enough nines” should be attained by the end of next year — but, when regulators will permit it to be released is a different question.  Europe tends to be more conservative than the U.S. and China.

This is really shameful stuff. Do Cathie or Tasha discuss why they just cut their holdings in half if they are such big believers? Tesla AutoPilot is so far from "enough nines" that this sort of false advertising should see them all go to prison. Musk gives interviews with his hands off the wheel, and eyes off the road. He give official guidance in the conference call claiming that Tesla is "basically there" with FSD on highways. Yet when the Autopilot crashes and kills someone, Tesla claims that hands must be kept on the wheel at all times and the AP is just there to assist. It is CRIMINAL and extremely immoral.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 02:07:00 AM by GoSouthYoungins »
big time oops

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: February 20, 2019, 02:01:06 AM »
Elon Musk (@elonmusk) 2/19/19, 7:02 PM
4000 Tesla cars loading in SF for Europe
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1098009983931707393
Tesla made 0 cars in 2011, but will make around 500k in 2019
Image below.

Edit:
Elon Musk (@elonmusk) 2/19/19, 11:41 PM
Meant to say annualized production rate at end of 2019 probably around 500k, ie 10k cars/week. Deliveries for year still estimated to be about 400k.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1098080063801585664

It’s the Grand Venus (Roll On / Roll Off ship), headed for Zeebrugge!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:01:28 PM by Sigmetnow »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1406 on: February 20, 2019, 02:24:51 AM »
Only 10,000 Model 3s not sold???  Seems like there are 20,000 getting shipped overseas or just arrived there!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

zizek

« Reply #1407 on: February 20, 2019, 02:36:15 AM »
In other news:

What's the point of the Tesla Glory/Failure thread if nobody actually bothers to read any the negative Tesla articles
You actually replied directly to the post I linked the autopilot report:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/02/in-2017-the-feds-said-tesla-autopilot-cut-crashes-40-that-was-bogus/

In 2017, the feds said Tesla Autopilot cut crashes 40%—that was bogus

But now NHTSA's raw data set is available, and, if anything, it appears to contradict Musk's claims. The majority of the vehicles in the Tesla data set suffered from missing data or other problems that made it impossible to say whether the activation of Autosteer increased or decreased the crash rate. But when QCS focused on 5,714 vehicles whose data didn't suffer from these problems, it found that the activation of Autosteer actually increased crash rates by 59 percent.

arstechnica is definitely not what I would classify as FUD. And if you can explain to me how this report:
http://www.safetyresearch.net/Library/NHTSA_Autosteer_Safety_Claim.pdf
is FUD.  I'll offer the same wager to Rob to you.  $50 dollars to an org of your choice. Prove to me how this report can be classified as fear, uncertainty, or doubt. Give me some evidence. We are on a science-based forum after all.

Or maybe I don't understand your definition of FUD. Is FUD simply anything that casts Musk and Tesla in a negative light, even if it exposes lies and dishonesty? Any criticism, no matter the implications nor the quality of evidence, is simply cast aside as FUD. Why don't we just take it a step further and have Neven moderate any negative Musk discussion. Sticky this thread and let sigmetnow post in peace.

I just don't understand your obsession with Tesla, Oren. You're clearly a smart person, and have your head on straight about climate change. But your brain just switches off when anything Tesla/Musk related comes up .

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1408 on: February 20, 2019, 04:01:26 AM »
In other news:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/02/in-2017-the-feds-said-tesla-autopilot-cut-crashes-40-that-was-bogus/
But now NHTSA's raw data set is available, and, if anything, it appears to contradict Musk's claims. The majority of the vehicles in the Tesla data set suffered from missing data or other problems that made it impossible to say whether the activation of Autosteer increased or decreased the crash rate. But when QCS focused on 5,714 vehicles whose data didn't suffer from these problems, it found that the activation of Autosteer actually increased crash rates by 59 percent.

arstechnica is definitely not what I would classify as FUD. And if you can explain to me how this report:
is FUD.  I'll offer the same wager to Rob to you.  $50 dollars to an org of your choice. Prove to me how this report can be classified as fear, uncertainty, or doubt. Give me some evidence. We are on a science-based forum after all.
The report seems to follow scientific methodology though I have some criticism of it: for the claim quoted in arstechnica it takes only a 13% subset of the original data, and in the process discards quite a lot of useful though incomplete data. Checking this incomplete data as summarized in the report, shows that the 13% "complete" data is flawed as well, and that crash rates have not increased.
The report does prove that the NHTSA methodology was flawed, and that the conclusion that 2016 auto-steer reduced airbag deployment by 40% was wrong. It does not prove however that the crash rate increased. The data is simply not sufficient to conclude one way or the other.
The headlines reporting on the report have focused on a few lines from the report, not digging deeper, as headlines do. And selective reading of headlines did the rest. Your bolded conclusion above is plain wrong, not supported by the report.
Another detail that seems to have been forgotten, is that all the data is based on an old version of Auto-pilot, released in 2016 based on older hardware and much older software than is being released today with Tesla vehicles. Again, details, boring details. Does the current AP reduce crash rates? Who knows?
I haven't seen supporting data for Tesla's claim that AP reduces crash rates, as Tesla's recently released data is highly insufficient for that conclusion. However, the reverse conclusion is also not supported. So summarizing the situation with your bolded statement above, is, to me, FUD.

ASILurker

« Reply #1409 on: February 20, 2019, 04:36:18 AM »
In other news:

What's the point of the Tesla Glory/Failure thread if nobody actually bothers to read any the negative Tesla articles

Or maybe I don't understand your definition of FUD. Is FUD simply anything that casts Musk and Tesla in a negative light, even if it exposes lies and dishonesty? Any criticism, no matter the implications nor the quality of evidence, is simply cast aside as FUD. Why don't we just take it a step further and have Neven moderate any negative Musk discussion. Sticky this thread and let sigmetnow post in peace.

I just don't understand your obsession with Tesla, Oren. You're clearly a smart person, and have your head on straight about climate change. But your brain just switches off when anything Tesla/Musk related comes up .

I think you're missing the point zizek. There are hundreds of forum members who'd agree with you overall and who ignore this thread for good reasons. I did a scientific experiment by "testing the waters" to see what might show up only to find it poisoned beyond recovery. A waste of time iow.

All the facts data in the world will not make any difference to those who chose to argue the point with you. They don't care anyway and don't really think telsa will put a dint in agw/cc either nor make any real difference to anything else.   They just like to argue about issues that have nothing to do with telsa or evs. Sig seems to be stuck in the 2000s when reports about technical feasibility were more effective. Lost in the past iow. It used to be a barrier and now it's been swept away more or less leaving the really big important barriers more exposed. Rather than move on and address those unfortunately some here prefer to live in the past and keep up with old habits. Ever heard of big fish little pond? :)

zizek

« Reply #1410 on: February 20, 2019, 04:50:05 AM »
In other news:

The report seems to follow scientific methodology though I have some criticism of it: for the claim quoted in arstechnica it takes only a 13% subset of the original data, and in the process discards quite a lot of useful though incomplete data. Checking this incomplete data as summarized in the report, shows that the 13% "complete" data is flawed as well, and that crash rates have not increased.
The report does prove that the NHTSA methodology was flawed, and that the conclusion that 2016 auto-steer reduced airbag deployment by 40% was wrong. It does not prove however that the crash rate increased. The data is simply not sufficient to conclude one way or the other.
The headlines reporting on the report have focused on a few lines from the report, not digging deeper, as headlines do. And selective reading of headlines did the rest. Your bolded conclusion above is plain wrong, not supported by the report.
Another detail that seems to have been forgotten, is that all the data is based on an old version of Auto-pilot, released in 2016 based on older hardware and much older software than is being released today with Tesla vehicles. Again, details, boring details. Does the current AP reduce crash rates? Who knows?
I haven't seen supporting data for Tesla's claim that AP reduces crash rates, as Tesla's recently released data is highly insufficient for that conclusion. However, the reverse conclusion is also not supported. So summarizing the situation with your bolded statement above, is, to me, FUD.
Stop your bullshit. Stop moving the goal posts. At first you were willing to take anything Tesla and the NHTSA said at face value. And now, a 13% sample of the data is not good enough to draw any reasonable conclusions? What hell is that? I didn't know you were such an expert in vehicle collision safety. Can you please explain to the class why 5,700 vehicles is not good enough for you? Especially considering it's the only data we can go by?

And your excuse that the technology is old doesn't hold up. Because Tesla stood behind the report, and did everything they could do to make sure the raw data was never released. So if things got better, why don't they just release another report based off of their new technology? Give us the data? Although, considering how much they lie, I wouldn't doubt it if the data would be fudged.

Here's the page from the report that Oren likes to call FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD FUD. Since you monkeys here don't actually like to read any links:

Once we received the data,20 we attempted to replicate NHTSA’s summaries21 of airbag deployments as well as mileage exposure before and after Autosteer in- stallation. We expected that the “Miles before Autosteer” exposure measure cal- culated by NHTSA would be equal to “Previous Mileage before Autosteer In- stall” reported by Tesla when mileage had been accumulated before Autosteer was installed. It was also our expectation that exposure “Miles after Autosteer” calculated by NHTSA would be equal to “The mileage of the vehicle at the last data retrieval” minus “Next Mileage after Autosteer Install” reported by Tesla when these data were not unknown, unreported, or otherwise missing for all of the vehicles studied.

In those cases where the “Previous Mileage before Autosteer Install” exactly equals “Next Mileage after Autosteer Install,” it can be inferred that Autosteer was actually installed at the reported mileage in each of these two fields. Figure 1 illustrates the calculation of exposure mileage in the cohort of vehicles where the odometer data at the time of installation is known, based on this inference. (Note that the mileage of the vehicle at the last data retrieval must also have been reported for the vehicles in Figure 1.) This method of calculation of exposure mileage was applicable only to 5,714 vehicles of the total 43,781 vehicles studied, 13 percent.22

Based on the data for crash rate numerators and denominators shown in Figure 1, the resulting calculations reveal a 59 percent increase in the airbag deployment crash rate from 0.76 per million miles of travel to 1.21 per million miles of travel following the installation of Autosteer. As explained below, this result is particu- larly important because it is the only vehicle cohort in the study with complete information for both before and after Autosteer crash rate calculations. Before and after comparisons of the resulting crash rates are unbiased by missing data for exposure mileage because there are no missing data in this subset of the data. This finding is the just the opposite of that claimed by NHTSA for the larger set of vehicles they studied.

We used logistic regression to measure the practical and statistical significance of Autosteer to this apparent difference in crash rates. Because the data do not re- cord the mileage at which an airbag deployed, we employed a method that trans- formed the dataset of 5,714 vehicles into two equal sized segments, “before” and “after” Autosteer. (In the transformed dataset of 11,428 observations, 3 cases have missing data where the last mileage retrieved is reported to equal the “Next mileage after Autosteer installation”). Each observation in the new dataset can be understood as a segment of exposure miles that either did or did not result in

an airbag deployment crash. Each observation contained the independent vari- ables, total “Exposure mileage” for the segment, “Autosteer installed” (equals 1 if so, zero otherwise), as well as the dependent variable of “Airbag deployed.”

The model estimated from these specific data helps to answer the question con- cerning NHTSA’s safety claim about Autosteer, “Is the installation of Autosteer associated with a decreased risk of an airbag deployment crash, controlling for exposure mileage?” The answer is “No.”

Table 1 demonstrates that Autosteer is actually associated with an increase in the odds ratio of airbag deployment by more than a factor of 2.4 (95% Confidence Interval: 1.57 - 3.8), when exposure mileage is taken into account. See Table 1.

zizek

« Reply #1411 on: February 20, 2019, 04:54:53 AM »
In other news:

I think you're missing the point zizek. There are hundreds of forum members who'd agree with you overall and who ignore this thread for good reasons. I did a scientific experiment by "testing the waters" to see what might show up only to find it poisoned beyond recovery. A waste of time iow.

All the facts data in the world will not make any difference to those who chose to argue the point with you. They don't care anyway and don't really think telsa will put a dint in agw/cc either nor make any real difference to anything else.   They just like to argue about issues that have nothing to do with telsa or evs. Sig seems to be stuck in the 2000s when reports about technical feasibility were more effective. Lost in the past iow. It used to be a barrier and now it's been swept away more or less leaving the really big important barriers more exposed. Rather than move on and address those unfortunately some here prefer to live in the past and keep up with old habits. Ever heard of big fish little pond? :)

Yeah, you're right.  Lately, I've been blocking this forum in my browser because every time I come here I just get frustrated and lose focus from my other work. But, I always find myself scratching the itch to see if anybody has learned any lessons. Nope.  Maybe I have to find a way to block myself from coming here for good. It will do me a lot of good.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: February 20, 2019, 06:57:43 AM »
At first you were willing to take anything Tesla and the NHTSA said at face value.
Not true.
And now, a 13% sample of the data is not good enough to draw any reasonable conclusions? What hell is that? I didn't know you were such an expert in vehicle collision safety. Can you please explain to the class why 5,700 vehicles is not good enough for you? Especially considering it's the only data we can go by?
Table 2 in the report will easily explain why the NHTSA methodology was wrong, but also why the opposite conclusion is not true as well, and why the discarded data shows that the kept data is problematic as well.
Fig.1 is the kept data, that is supposedly totally accurate. It has 0.76 deployments/million miles before auto-steer, and 1.21 dep/mil after auto-steer, so supposedly an increase in deployments after auto-steer.
Figs. 2,3,4 contain the discarded data, where the NHTSA did not assign proper mileage to the before category, and in parts of the data also to the after category. However, it is easy to see that the rates of deployment for the after category are in the range of 0.6-0.8 dep/mil, thereby showing that the result of the kept subset wherein the after rate was 1.21 dep/mil is out of line, and probably suffers from data errors/biases as well, errors that the report failed to consider in its assumptions.
The best conclusion from the partial and faulty data is that the airbag deployment rate was and still remained ~0.7-0.8 deployments/million miles before and after auto-steer.
Note: I do get the feeling that the report writer was happy not to stress this conclusion clearly, as the resulting headlines would have been much less juicy.
Note 2: I believe Tesla is releasing uninformative safety data, while making various statistical safety claims based on said data. Without access to the underlying detailed data it is impossible to verify Tesla's claims, and I suspect Tesla's claims are based on conveniently faulty analysis. (To be clear, this also was my thinking before this report came along).

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: February 20, 2019, 03:11:05 PM »
Tesla's old general counsel was Musk's divorce lawyer, which is insane. But they hired a new guy who was actually really legit. He is quitting after 2 months. Hmmm....

Tesla can't keep a serious CFO, CAO, or General Counsel. Won't raise capital that they desperately need. Admit to being under SEC and DOJ investigation. Nothing to see here, move along. Blahahahahaha. It really is sad how naive the Tesla bulls are. Go Long!
big time oops

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: February 20, 2019, 03:36:00 PM »

< Do they load themselves?

Elon Musk (@elonmusk)
2/19/19, 7:17 PM
Won’t be long before they do
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1098013621924184064

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: February 20, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »

< Do they load themselves?

Elon Musk (@elonmusk)
2/19/19, 7:17 PM
Won’t be long before they do
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1098013621924184064

100% unaffected by non-stop, over-the-top, instantly-disprovable LIES. <snip, N.>
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:18:57 PM by Neven »
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: February 20, 2019, 03:56:29 PM »
NielT, you seem to think yourself pretty solid at understanding the big-time corporate world. Help me understand the following...

Tesla in the past 2 years has had resign 2 CFOs, 2 CAOs, 5 Finance VPs, and the Treasurer (as well as 2 General Counsels). In none of those positions is there currently someone well respected with recent high-level experience. Both times that Tesla did bring in someone from outside the company with a decent amount of credibility (most recent CAO and General Counsel), they quit almost immediately (one month and two months, respectively). 

If you are going to say it is because Tesla is "agile", please to explain how that applies in some serious detail, cuz it does not seem to make any sense to me. Do you honestly believe that it is not possible that it has something to do with the SEC and DOJ investiations / why they haven't been raising capital (AKA "The Secret")?
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: February 20, 2019, 04:51:58 PM »
Okay, I think the big week is finally here. Tesla is out of money. And they are, drum roll please.............. going to try to raise capital(or at least announce that they are). Unexpected developments in the last 48 hours include: 10-K release, $4000 SP podcast, 500k annual production tweet, "Standard Range Soon" language disappears from website, General Counsel resignation.  Next week there is a really really big bill due, and I think the only chance they have is to roll it over, and the only chance of that is if they are bringing in more capital. Very interesting. All the fireworks could happen in the next 2 weeks. Could be nothing though.
big time oops

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: February 20, 2019, 07:03:00 PM »
Getting ahead of the whole OMG-somebody-else-just-left-Tesla freakout:

Have you read the Maxwell-Tesla SEC S-4 Filing?  The pace of events in December and January for the merger was insane!
http://ir.tesla.com/node/19506/html#toc625340_52

Dane Butswinkas was a trial lawyer from D.C. who had worked for Tesla as outside counsel.   He became Tesla General Counsel in December; was immediately faced with very big, very intense Maxwell merger event.  He is now returning to his D.C. trial lawyer position, but remains as Tesla outside counsel. 
Pretty hard to see anything other than that Tesla General Counsel was simply not a good fit for him.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-tsla-general-counsel/

“A person familiar with the matter said Butswinkas was not a good cultural fit with Tesla and wanted to return to his family and law practice in Washington, D.C.”
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/20/tesla-is-going-to-be-the-next-amazon-says-major-shareholder.html

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: February 21, 2019, 02:16:15 AM »
Getting ahead of the whole OMG-somebody-else-just-left-Tesla freakout:

Have you read the Maxwell-Tesla SEC S-4 Filing?  The pace of events in December and January for the merger was insane!
http://ir.tesla.com/node/19506/html#toc625340_52

Dane Butswinkas was a trial lawyer from D.C. who had worked for Tesla as outside counsel.   He became Tesla General Counsel in December; was immediately faced with very big, very intense Maxwell merger event.  He is now returning to his D.C. trial lawyer position, but remains as Tesla outside counsel. 
Pretty hard to see anything other than that Tesla General Counsel was simply not a good fit for him.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-tsla-general-counsel/

“A person familiar with the matter said Butswinkas was not a good cultural fit with Tesla and wanted to return to his family and law practice in Washington, D.C.”
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/20/tesla-is-going-to-be-the-next-amazon-says-major-shareholder.html

So basically your answer for all the rapid resignations is just that these ppl were naive about what they were getting themselves into? The idea that Dane Butswinkas was not expecting something as taxing as a quarter billion dollar acquisition while being GC for a $50B company is incredulous.

And why can't any of the positions be filled by credible and experienced outsiders? Does it take a "Tesla person" to do a "Tesla job"? Literally no high level person in the world is available and capable and willing to fill these lucrative positions? Ha! Try again.

Also, I highly doubt you read the filing you are referring to. If you did, WHY?!?

Another also, I don't think he became GC in December. It was announced in December. I think he started late Jan. Not sure though. If you have better info (as weird as that would be), do share.
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: February 21, 2019, 02:21:22 AM »
If you want to see how the world looks through Musk's eyes but willing to try drugs, watch uniquorn's most recent upload in the freezing thread. WARNING: You may need ambien to fall asleep afterwards. Naturally.
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: February 21, 2019, 06:18:28 AM »
Role Play Time:

Dane, "We should really cooperate with the DOJ investigations to prevent more criminal liability for the board and executives."

Elon, "No, never! Take a hike."

Dane, "Okay."
big time oops

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 21, 2019, 02:59:16 PM »
I highly doubt you read the filing you are referring to. If you did, WHY?!?

Why, yes I did, thanks!  I found it quite fascinating, and it formed the basis for my post. 
Since you obviously did NOT read it, the relative merit of your totally uniformed opinion is clear.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: February 21, 2019, 06:42:38 PM »
Tom 2/21/19, 9:11 AM:
VW having issues with their cell manufacturers. VW wants to build own GF in Germany but is now threatened by their current cell manufacturers with an immediate halt of cell delivery. If only they had planned ahead...
https://twitter.com/tslaqq/status/1098585959778652160
- This is really bad, building an own GF takes years. All of VW's plans could be moot if LG Chem decides to stop delivering cells. Seems like VW is in full panic mode to try to get out of the issue.
Two images below.
[The translation app didn’t work as well with the second image, but it seems LG Chem fought back, and “the Koreans” threatened to no longer deliver batteries, possibly starting now.]

——
Bonus: see Teslas on the move in the 18-sec video in one of the replies to the above tweet:
scott budman (@scottbudman)2/20/19, 4:26 PM
Our chopper spies @Tesla cars leaving San Francisco’s Pier 80, driving onto a boat, on their way to Europe.
https://twitter.com/scottbudman/status/1098333096858906624

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 21, 2019, 08:38:59 PM »
I highly doubt you read the filing you are referring to. If you did, WHY?!?

Why, yes I did, thanks!  I found it quite fascinating, and it formed the basis for my post. 
Since you obviously did NOT read it, the relative merit of your totally uniformed opinion is clear.

Sad. Hundreds of pages of pointless legalese. All about a meaningless acquisition. Tesla simply wanted their spare cash. (Or would you like to explain the battery tech Tesla was after to me? hahahah!) Do you read every Tesla IR doc?
big time oops

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1425 on: February 21, 2019, 08:42:55 PM »
Volkswagen's Audi to cut 10 percent of management positions: CEO in Handelsblatt
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-audi-management/volkswagens-audi-to-cut-10-percent-of-management-positions-ceo-in-handelsblatt-idUSKCN1Q92IZ

——-
February 20, 2019
One of the largest U.S. auto dealers just had a rough quarter selling BMWs, and a top executive said Tesla Inc. played a major role.
Sonic Automotive Inc., the fifth-largest U.S. dealership group, reported fourth-quarter profit Wednesday that missed analysts’ estimates. Jeff Dyke, Sonic’s president, said “challenging” times for BMW AG and Honda Motor Co. were partly to blame. Many of Sonic’s stores selling those companies’ brands are in California, the home of Tesla’s headquarters and by far the largest market for the Model 3 sedan.

When asked by an analyst whether Tesla factored in BMW’s challenges, Dyke answered on Sonic’s earnings call: “There’s no question.  I’ve spent a lot of time in manufacturing meetings, and five years ago, Tesla was just not even a real big topic,” Dyke said. “Today, it’s at the top of everybody’s board, and it needs to be.”

Tesla has eschewed a traditional dealership network in favor of direct sales from its stores and through online ordering. While other retailers have criticized CEO Elon Musk’s approach and said it may be slowing the electric-car maker’s deliveries and repairs, Dyke gave the billionaire credit.

“You can say all that you want about their service problems and all, they’ll just keep selling more cars, and I don’t know if it’s more of a cult than anything else,” Dyke said. “My hat off to them -- they’re selling a lot of cars, and there is no question in California that it’s getting in our shorts.”
https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-02-20/is-tesla-a-cult-a-dealer-wonders-as-musk-takes-bite-out-of-bmw?__twitter_impression=true

——
Tesla Model 3 impresses former rally champion after high-speed testing
February 20, 2019
“Because of the dual motors, (the Model 3 Performance) can infinitely vary the amount of drive to the front and rear however much it is programmed to, based on your steering angle, throttle position, brake position, yaw sensor, wheel speed sensors, (and) probably more that I’m not even aware of. A Subaru or an Audi or something with one engine driving a normal transmission and center diff cannot do that,” Knox stated.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-rally-high-speed-test/

——
Tesla delivers first of 100 Model 3 orders to German EV rental company nextmove
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-100-model-3-orders-germany-nextmove/

——
Watch Tesla Semi electric truck accelerate on highway ramp unlike any other truck
https://electrek.co/2019/02/21/watch-tesla-semi-electric-truck-accelerate-ramp/

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: February 22, 2019, 01:17:35 AM »
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/tesla-model-3-loses-cr-recommendation-over-reliability-issues/

Tesla Model 3 Loses CR Recommendation Over Reliability Issues
Owners report problems with paint, trim, and electronics in Consumer Reports' survey

Consumer Reports can no longer recommend the newest Tesla—the Model 3 electric sedan—because members say they’ve identified a number of problems with their cars, including issues with its body hardware, as well as paint and trim. CR members reported these results in our annual reliability survey, which includes data on about 470,000 vehicles.

Tesla’s Response
A Tesla spokesperson said the automaker has already made “significant improvements” to correct the issues that Model 3 owners raised with CR. “The vast majority of these issues have already been corrected through design and manufacturing improvements, and we are already seeing a significant improvement in our field data,” the spokesperson wrote in an emailed statement to CR. “We take feedback from our customers very seriously and quickly implement improvements any time we hear about issues.” 

How CR Measures Reliability
CR gathers reliability data through an online questionnaire sent out each spring to members. The survey asks about any problems these members may have had within the previous 12 months with 17 aspects of their vehicles, including major systems such as the suspension and electrical system, as well as fit and finish issues such as paint and trim.

For the past few years, CR has been going back to car owners who did not answer the initial survey to gather additional information, and to include a greater number of the newest vehicles. These later responses have been incorporated into the ratings found in our annual April autos issue.

With the new data, CR’s sample size of 2018 Model 3s nearly doubled, bringing the total number of Model 3s involved to more than 500. These latest survey responses contained a relatively high number of reliability complaints.

What the Survey Found
Model 3 owners in our spring survey sample reported some body hardware and in-car electronics problems, such as the screen freezing, which we have seen with other Tesla models. The latest survey data also shows complaints about paint and trim issues. In addition, some members reported that the Model 3’s sole display screen acted strangely.
“The touch screen would intermittently begin acting as if someone was touching it rapidly at many different points,” one member wrote in. “This fault would cause music to play, volume to increase to maximum, and would rescale and pan the map in the navigation system.”

Some owners also complained about glass defects, including cracks in the rear window, in their survey responses.

The stock took a 3% drop so somebody thought it was important .
IMHO, these are issues from "production hell" time, that are much less likely to happen now.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #1427 on: February 22, 2019, 05:52:23 AM »
SpaceX has quite obviously run out of money (as has Musk personally, hence the mortgages).

At this point, it would be good to note that SpaceX just completed another successful launch, this time of the first Israeli Moon lander, and a Indonesian communication satellite :

Also noteworthy is that with this launch they completed the 34th successful landing and recovery of a Stage-1 booster rocket, and this is the second time that SpaceX re-uses a Stage-1 booster for the THIRD time.

That really shows that they can re-use booster rockets successfully and in doing so reduced the cost for LEO launches below ANY other competitor, and still make money !

So SpaceX is doing more than fine, and GoSouthYoungins is just talking crap.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:31:19 AM by Rob Dekker »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

RikW

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1428 on: February 22, 2019, 09:20:58 AM »
I wonder, but that is not specific for Tesla, what would happen with exchange rates if going short or long was forbidden;

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #1429 on: February 22, 2019, 09:51:27 AM »
Exchanges and banks would lose a revenue stream. Nothing else!

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: February 22, 2019, 09:42:16 PM »
So SpaceX is doing more than fine, and GoSouthYoungins is just talking crap.

In December, SpaceX tried to raise half a billion dollars. They couldn't generate much interest despite the high yield junk rate they were offering, and they only raised about half of the offering. Musk mortgaged 5 houses the day they announced the raise, and likely used the funds to participate in the raise. It was in general mostly insiders financing the whole thing to prevent their entire investment in SpaceX from evaporating.

In order for SpaceX's business model to work, they have to be able to re-use a rocket at least ten times. So far, 3 is there max. They also need to put up like 3 times the number of current satellites globally, and do so very soon and for a fraction of current costs.

SpaceX never has and never will turn an annual profit. Every Musk venture is an absurdity preying on the naive hopes and dreams of the modern detached-from-reality human.

Most interesting of all, none of Musk's ideas are actually "green": Luxury supercars, cyborgs, rocket earth travel, tunnels, Martian colonization. I guess the solar roof could have been, but it is a pure fiction. Like announcing a super box that just spits out energy...theoretically green, but total nonsense.

Rob, care to explain the rocket that blew over in a 50mph wind and crushed itself? Care to explain why now the thing is just being capped?

Musk, claimed the tin foil thing was going to fly, "This is for suborbital VTOL tests. Orbital version is taller, has thicker skins (won’t wrinkle) & a smoothly curving nose section." Then a month ago he said, "I just heard. 50 mph winds broke the mooring blocks late last night & fairing was blown over. Will take a few weeks to repair."

big time oops

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: February 22, 2019, 10:03:15 PM »
Tom 2/21/19, 9:11 AM:
VW having issues with their cell manufacturers. VW wants to build own GF in Germany but is now threatened by their current cell manufacturers with an immediate halt of cell delivery. If only they had planned ahead...
https://twitter.com/tslaqq/status/1098585959778652160
- This is really bad, building an own GF takes years. All of VW's plans could be moot if LG Chem decides to stop delivering cells. Seems like VW is in full panic mode to try to get out of the issue.

Addendum: Daimler, also, is having trouble getting enough batteries.
Tom (@TSLAQQ) 2/21/19, 10:09 AM
Incredible: @manager_magazin confirms that Daimler has issues with their cell manufacturer as well. So apart from BMW now all German OEM's have been bitten by not having their own GF. For Daimler, it's now a question whether or not they can sell Smart EV's
https://twitter.com/tslaqq/status/1098600607487791104
Text image in German at the link.
Google translated:  The start in the new era, however, quieter than desired. No 15,000 electric smart sold Daimler 2018; Trouble with the Korean battery supplier LG Chem prevented higher numbers. And partner Renault even announced the partnership. In the successor model, the French do not want to share platform and electric motors.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: February 22, 2019, 10:17:21 PM »
Tesla Model 3 deliveries in China are starting earlier than expected
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-deliveries-china-begin-early/

—-
Tesla sold more pure EVs globally than any other brand in 2018 — including Chinese companies.  And the Model 3 was the best selling BEV in the world.

JATO: Tesla, Model 3 Top Global BEV Sales Charts
Despite production and delivery "hell," JATO says Model 3 was the best-selling EV in 2018 and Tesla ruled EV sales by brand.

Tesla was the top-selling EV maker in the world in 2018, followed by China’s BAIC and BYD, renowned data house JATO Dynamics said today in an emailed statement. JATO tracks actual registrations, as opposed to sometimes elastic data published by OEMs.

According to JATO, 230,000 Tesla cars were registered in 2018, followed by 152,000 BAIC BEVs, 95,000 made by BYD, 92,000 by Nissan, and 64,000 by China’s Zotye. World’s best-selling BEV has been the Tesla Model 3 with 138,000 units registered, followed by 92,000 BAIC EC, and 95,000 Nissan Leaf, JATO says. It has been occasionally suggested by parties critical to Tesla that many of its new Model 3 could be sitting unsold in lots around the country. JATO’s registration data do not bear that out. Referring to the Model 3, Tesla’s Q4 shareholder letter talked about “nearly 140,000 units sold,” which should be close enough to JATO’s 138,000.
http://thedrive.com/tech/26605/jato-tesla-model-3-top-global-bev-sales-charts

ASILurker

« Reply #1433 on: February 23, 2019, 03:55:27 AM »
Tesla Model 3 deliveries in China are starting earlier than expected
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-deliveries-china-begin-early/

—-
Tesla sold more pure EVs globally than any other brand in 2018 — including Chinese companies.  And the Model 3 was the best selling BEV in the world.

RE: "People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

I agree. I am not standing in the way. So .....

1) Buy your first Tesla 3 yourself - put your $ where your mouth is and your Refs are - Do it.
2) Buy more TSLA shares now while the price is deflated despite all the "good news" - Do it.
3) Check your bank and see if you can't get a loan on your Home to buy even more Shares. Do it.

Now only $295 / share after being as low as $291 yesterday. Quick the price is going up.

Yes, do it!

A bit of silly humour for an otherwise tedious very repetitive thread about a Brand Name :)

Me, I prefer LA Ice Cola, what about you?

Better still what does the Scientific and Sales Data have to say about different Cola brands?

Don't they all have too much Sugar for Safe Human Consumption?

Are not all Brands a Common Bad which represent Over-Consumption of a Societal Ill?

I'll be back later, have to run buy a stack of LA ICE Cola Shares to make a killing on the stock market. ;)

My high quality refs of why that's a great thing to do!

Facing Slumping Sales, Coke Hopes To Catch A Wave Of Fans With New Flavors
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/01/23/580004834/facing-slumping-sales-coke-hopes-to-catch-a-wave-of-fans-with-new-flavors

The main reason for the drink's popularity is that it is cheaper than some of its rivals, costing as little as $1 for 2 litres.
https://www.revolvy.com/page/LA-Ice-Cola

Highly credible source - The Guardian
Yet some analysts still insist that Coca-Cola is finally going flat. In early 2016, UK volume sales were down 5%, while the lower-calorie Coca-Cola Life has flopped and in 2018 the sugar tax comes in. After years of stuttering growth globally, in which Coca-Cola has arguably failed to adjust to a new healthier era, could it face years of slow decline?
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/sep/14/cola-taste-test-best-and-worst-alternatives-coca-cola

See any similarities there to tesla commentaries and refs? (smile)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 05:10:28 AM by Lurk »

zizek

« Reply #1434 on: February 23, 2019, 04:30:00 AM »
At first you were willing to take anything Tesla and the NHTSA said at face value.
Not true.
And now, a 13% sample of the data is not good enough to draw any reasonable conclusions? What hell is that? I didn't know you were such an expert in vehicle collision safety. Can you please explain to the class why 5,700 vehicles is not good enough for you? Especially considering it's the only data we can go by?
Table 2 in the report will easily explain why the NHTSA methodology was wrong, but also why the opposite conclusion is not true as well, and why the discarded data shows that the kept data is problematic as well.
Fig.1 is the kept data, that is supposedly totally accurate. It has 0.76 deployments/million miles before auto-steer, and 1.21 dep/mil after auto-steer, so supposedly an increase in deployments after auto-steer.
Figs. 2,3,4 contain the discarded data, where the NHTSA did not assign proper mileage to the before category, and in parts of the data also to the after category. However, it is easy to see that the rates of deployment for the after category are in the range of 0.6-0.8 dep/mil, thereby showing that the result of the kept subset wherein the after rate was 1.21 dep/mil is out of line, and probably suffers from data errors/biases as well, errors that the report failed to consider in its assumptions.
The best conclusion from the partial and faulty data is that the airbag deployment rate was and still remained ~0.7-0.8 deployments/million miles before and after auto-steer.
Note: I do get the feeling that the report writer was happy not to stress this conclusion clearly, as the resulting headlines would have been much less juicy.
Note 2: I believe Tesla is releasing uninformative safety data, while making various statistical safety claims based on said data. Without access to the underlying detailed data it is impossible to verify Tesla's claims, and I suspect Tesla's claims are based on conveniently faulty analysis. (To be clear, this also was my thinking before this report came along).

Okay I see. So, because incomplete data doesn't match the complete data. Then any conclusions based on the complete data is FUD. cool. got it.

According to you, if I'm a car manufacturer and I want to give myself a nice safety rating I just have to follow these easy steps:

1) Gather crash and mileage data. Ooops. Looks like our crash rate is higher than the national average. So let's provide only a small set of complete data. So proceed to step 2
2) Create another set of data that may be incomplete, but has crash rates in line with national averages.
3) Success! If somebody asks why our complete data has a higher crash rates than average, take your finger and press it against their mouth, and say shhhhhhhh. "but look at the incomplete data, it's good. and therefore, you can't draw any conclusions. Other than we're likely to be good. Cause this stuff is good, and the bad stuff, just ignore that stuff"

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 23, 2019, 07:40:36 AM »
sig, I assume you read Tesla's 10-K, since it is the most important doc of the year, and if you read the whole maxwell filing, it seems like a no-brainer for you, no pun intended  ;)

So, obviously you are familiar with the fact that on dec 18, Tesla postponed their repayment of 180something million dollars that was due at the end of the month to Jan 31. Then they moved their Q4 call up to Jan 30, and on that same day they pushed their repayment back until April. It wasn't known during the call that this had been done and Tesla didn't mention it so obviously they didn't have to field any questions about it.

You clearly believe everything Tesla says, especially their official financials, so can you explain for us simpleton bears: Why would a company with $3.5B in cash extend payment of $180M for a month, and then another few months? As, I'm sure you know, they had to pay significantly to do this. Is there any other example EVER of a company not paying back a loan when it was due when it represented only 5% of their cash balance? Crickets.
big time oops

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 23, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »
Why are you messing with the picture, and when exactly did you take this screenshot ?
God Rob. Have you never been on a website and the tables have broken. When a website isn't optimized to a particular browser size and it messes with the layout? Is this your first time on the internet?
Ah. So I guess that's your way of admitting that you messed up that screen shot ?
And you admit it in this oh so nice way, by insulting me, the one who pointed it out.
OK. Got it.
Let's not waste either.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: February 23, 2019, 03:42:01 PM »
NASA completes certification of SpaceX Dragon Crew capsule; sets March 2 launch date for Demo-1 flight to International Space Station; will provide live coverage and updates.

NASA, SpaceX Demo-1 Briefings, Events and Broadcasts
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-spacex-demo-1-briefings-events-and-broadcasts

NASA TV - SpaceX DM-1 [Pre-] Flight Readiness Review Press Conference - YouTube

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 23, 2019, 06:24:39 PM »
NASA completes certification of SpaceX Dragon Crew capsule; sets March 2 launch date for Demo-1 flight to International Space Station; will provide live coverage and updates.

NASA, SpaceX Demo-1 Briefings, Events and Broadcasts
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-spacex-demo-1-briefings-events-and-broadcasts

NASA TV - SpaceX DM-1 [Pre-] Flight Readiness Review Press Conference - YouTube

It is telling that you would rather post the above and not respond to the below.

sig, I assume you read Tesla's 10-K, since it is the most important doc of the year, and if you read the whole maxwell filing, it seems like a no-brainer for you, no pun intended  ;)

So, obviously you are familiar with the fact that on dec 18, Tesla postponed their repayment of 180something million dollars that was due at the end of the month to Jan 31. Then they moved their Q4 call up to Jan 30, and on that same day they pushed their repayment back until April. It wasn't known during the call that this had been done and Tesla didn't mention it so obviously they didn't have to field any questions about it.

You clearly believe everything Tesla says, especially their official financials, so can you explain for us simpleton bears: Why would a company with $3.5B in cash extend payment of $180M for a month, and then another few months? As, I'm sure you know, they had to pay significantly to do this. Is there any other example EVER of a company not paying back a loan when it was due when it represented only 5% of their cash balance? Crickets.
big time oops

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 386
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #1439 on: February 23, 2019, 07:42:56 PM »

It depends very much on what they have committed for the $3.5bn, whether the debt it movable and other debt is not and whether they forecast difficult revenue conditions, such as a statistical low sales period.

Companies do this all the time.  It is what caught out a lot of companies in the financial crisis, they had cash but kept on rolling over debt because debt kept on getting cheaper.  Until they found themselves with lowered cash reserves and no ability to refinance.

So, in answer to your question, yes, there have been plenty of companies which did this.  But much less since the catastrophe of companies which went over because they could not roll over their finance in 2009.

You'll have to do better than $180m to convince me that Tesla is going tits up.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: February 23, 2019, 08:23:33 PM »
It is telling that you would rather post the above and not respond to the below.

Yes, quite telling!  Since you don’t see how “hundreds of pages of … legalese” can affect the job of Tesla General Counsel, and choose to exaggerate minor SpaceX test-fairing accidents, while totally ignoring huge SpaceX’s accomplishments, don’t expect me to bother trying to explain Tesla finance to you.

SpaceX’s Starship engine breaks Russian rocketry record held for two decades
https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starship-engine-breaks-russian-record-extraordinary-test-series/

Elon Musk on Twitter: Raptor just achieved power level needed for Starship & Super Heavy - spacex
https://www.reddit.com/r/spacex/comments/ao1lz5/elon_musk_on_twitter_raptor_just_achieved_power/

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: February 23, 2019, 10:56:42 PM »
I agree, SpaceX stuff should go elsewhere, perhaps a new thread in the same location as astronomical news? It's off-topic here.

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: February 24, 2019, 02:44:37 AM »

Yes, quite telling!  Since you don’t see how “hundreds of pages of … legalese” can affect the job of Tesla General Counsel, and choose to exaggerate minor SpaceX test-fairing accidents, while totally ignoring huge SpaceX’s accomplishments, don’t expect me to bother trying to explain Tesla finance to you.

You honestly think the GC, who is a super experienced and well respected and high-level lawyer, and knowingly took the position in a $50B company, was put off by a $250M acquisition? What a joke! The acquisition was announced well before he took over as GC, FYI.

Don't expect you to explain Tesla finance to me?!? OF COURSE I DON'T!!! I KNOW THERE IS NO EXPLANATION THAT IS CONGRUENT WITH THE BULL THESIS.
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: February 24, 2019, 02:50:01 AM »
Companies do this all the time.

I bet there is a ZERO% chance you can give me a single example of a large company that put off a bond repayment which was approx %5 their "cash balance", and the company was not of the verge of bankruptcy. This happens all the time?!? OMG, please.

I'll help out with the most basic of the basic for the bulls.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/debt-rescheduling.asp

"BREAKING DOWN Debt Rescheduling
Debt rescheduling is one way to provide a borrower with relief when needed due to an economic downturn or another unforeseen event (e.g., job loss, illness, etc.). A lender is likely to work with a borrower to reschedule a debt because rescheduling represents a better option for the lender than default."
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: February 24, 2019, 03:06:20 AM »
It has been about 4 weeks since Elon (on the Q4 call) claimed Tesla has FSD on highways (200% false any official non-Elon guidance will admit). Since then the main engineer has left and gone to his own self driving which...USES LIDAR. Imagine that.
big time oops

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: February 24, 2019, 10:43:42 AM »
I agree, SpaceX stuff should go elsewhere, perhaps a new thread in the same location as astronomical news? It's off-topic here.

A new thread for SpaceX developments created here :
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2582.0.html
Let's not waste either.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: February 24, 2019, 02:03:16 PM »

A new thread for SpaceX developments created here :
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2582.0.html

Thanks, Rob.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: February 24, 2019, 02:09:58 PM »
Norwegian motor magazine is certain the Model 3 will be a hit in their country.
Tesla Driver (@m_xalher) 2/22/19, 3:58 PM
“EV bullseye”. “People,s wagon”. Model 3 “has everything required to make it Norway’s favorite car”. Motor mag (by business daily Finansavisen) tomorrow.
https://twitter.com/m_xalher/status/1099050854009790464
- “Winter driving skills, long range, low price and good availability means Model 3 has every chance of becoming [Norway’s] biggest seller of 2019.”
- «Alternatively you can buy a Leaf or e-Golf with ... less equipment, shorter range and 2 wheel drive for slightly less. As long as Tesla can finally deliver Model 3, you won’t.
It will also be interesting to see how many customers it will steal away from e-tron, I-Pace and EQC.»
Images in Norwegian at the link.

——-

AUTOMOTIVE CRISIS Germany's car industry faces a perfect storm
If you believe the story it tells about itself, the German car industry is marching confidently into the future, developing exciting new all-electric vehicles, leaving the dirty days of diesel behind.

In reality, the industry is facing its biggest crisis in decades. A Chinese slowdown, a hard Brexit, possible US tariffs, and massive technological challenges could become a perfect storm engulfing Volkswagen, BMW and Daimler, the maker of Mercedes-Benz luxury cars. Since car manufacturing is crucial to the economy, this could be very bad news for the country as a whole.

Germany’s car giants bet so heavily on diesel – helped in part by falsified emissions data – that they failed to grasp the changes on the horizon. Now manufacturers are rushing to convert their fleets to hybrid and all-electric models.

But the promised all-new electric models – among them the Audi E-Tron and Daimler's EQ series – will not reach showrooms for months, if not years. Even then, most new offerings will be hybrid models, combining electric and combustion engines. There will no newly-designed, all-electric Mercedes on sale until late 2021. BMW is pinning its hopes on the all-electric i4 sedan, but this too will not enter production until 2021.

For the moment, Germany has been soundly beaten in technology. Experts say Tesla is two or three years ahead of its German rivals in engineering innovation. Sales reflect this difference: in the United States, the California firm is outselling all its rivals combined in electric cars. In the luxury class, Tesla even outsells combustion-engine series like the BMW 7-series, the Mercedes S-class and the Porsche Cayenne.

Raise at least €100 billion
Tesla is not the only threat to come out of California. Tech giants like Uber, Apple and Google are investing massively in the development of self-driving cars. Google subsidiary Waymo alone may have as much as $40 billion to invest in autonomous vehicle technology.

Now realizing the danger, Germany’s automotive giants are gearing up to invest huge sums in developing electric and self-driving cars, probably around €40 billion in the next three years. Volkswagen’s four-year budget for electric vehicles amounts to around €30 billion. VW CEO Diess says the transformation of the industry could cost German firms around €100 billion.

The sums involved are so enormous that carmakers – even diehard rivals – have been forced into new forms of cooperation. Volkswagen sources say the company has even contemplated a partnership with its great Japanese rival Toyota. The company already has a wide-ranging alliance with Ford to develop electric and self-driving technologies, which could ultimately see Ford e-cars using a Volkswagen platform.

The urgency of the situation has even led BMW and Daimler into close collaboration. On Friday, the two firms are expected to announce a new joint venture in mobility services. They already have already merged their car-sharing subsidiaries.

The German giants are also changing their corporate structures, trying to become leaner, less hierarchical and more flexible. Volkswagen will soon float its bus and truck division, possibly raising as much as €20 billion. Daimler will convert to a holding company structure, with the possibility of demergers in the years to come.

Germany’s car industry has at last awoken to the urgency of the situation, placing its bets on new products, new structures and enormous technological investment. But with economic and geopolitical risks increasing, this may not be enough to save it from a perfect storm.
https://www.handelsblatt.com/today/companies/automotive-crisis-germanys-car-industry-faces-a-perfect-storm/24026414.html

——-
And They Walked Away! Teslas Protect Their Passengers When Bad Things Happen.
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/19/and-they-walked-away-teslas-protect-their-passengers-when-bad-things-happen/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: February 24, 2019, 03:51:18 PM »

I bet there is a ZERO% chance you can give me a single example of a large company that put off a bond repayment which was approx %5 their "cash balance", and the company was not of the verge of bankruptcy.

So, you are SO ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN Tesla is going bankrupt...  that when they not only don’t go bankrupt, they in fact report a profit for Q1, you will admit you are wrong about them?  Promise?

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1449 on: February 24, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »

I bet there is a ZERO% chance you can give me a single example of a large company that put off a bond repayment which was approx %5 their "cash balance", and the company was not of the verge of bankruptcy. This happens all the time?!? OMG, please.

We don't have many corporate finance mavens on this forum.  Such examples might be legion and there'd still be no examples offered.  Certainly I'm no such maven.

But some economic principles *might* offer a counter interpretation.  It may well be that Tesla would prefer to roll over this obligation into renewed debt, even despite having abundant cash on hand.  That is, the global economy is perceived as heading into a downturn,  Interest rates fall in such an environment.  Thus, the cost of rolling over some or all of this debt might be quite a bit lower in two months than now.  If so, it would make sense to delay the rollover of debt.  This calculation might hold even for a corporation rolling in dough.

Counter-argument would perhaps be that in an economic downturn, Tesla would have lower prospects of positive cash flow to service any and all debt.  I'm not sure this holds.  The demand for Tesla cars, globally, is huge, with limited competition.  I suspect they can sell as many as they can ship overseas, even in a recession.

As to whether this is the true reason for the delay, I can't say.  Just that there may be alternative interpretations.