Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Tesla glory/failure  (Read 1144306 times)

blumenkraft

Re: Tesla glory/failure
« Reply #3950 on: October 15, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »
Or is that "driving on the wrong side" a golfing joke?

The one saying this sentence is the real ghost driver. Not the others. ;)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #3951 on: October 15, 2019, 05:11:59 PM »
Tesla Model Y spotted with chrome trim, new wheels near Fremont factory
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-sighting-chrome-trim-new-wheels-fremont-factory/
Photo below.  TSLAQ on Twitter are already crying: Fwaud!  ;D

——
Tesla to start Powerwall home battery installations in Japan
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-battery-japan/tesla-to-start-powerwall-home-battery-installations-in-japan-idUSKBN1WU0ZJ

Powerwall should sell well in Japan, and not just because of several years of reservations. ;) The country has been electricity-constrained since the Fukishima disaster, when they shut down all nuclear reactors for safety reasons (although some have restarted).  My personal feeling is that such experience was one reason Toyota and Honda shied away from developing pure electric vehicles.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: October 15, 2019, 05:18:55 PM »
Electric cars are the future.

EVs are state of the art.

Solar cars are the future, Griff.  8)

And then there’s whatever this is.
(Thank goodness Elon doesn’t like the idea of flying cars.  Whew!)

blumenkraft

« Reply #3953 on: October 15, 2019, 05:42:53 PM »
I would doubt this future as well, Sigmetnow. ;)

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #3954 on: October 15, 2019, 06:21:26 PM »
Although a year ago, at an EV event, I saw several Tesla cars and was a passenger in an X, and sat in an S and a 3, today I saw my first Tesla (Model 3?) in the wild.  (It had a "T" on the back of it; that's how I know.)  (Mostly I don't notice brands.)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #3955 on: October 15, 2019, 07:27:29 PM »
I've been reading this, I have an IQ of almost 130, and I have no clue which side is right!

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3956 on: October 15, 2019, 07:39:05 PM »
Although a year ago, at an EV event, I saw several Tesla cars and was a passenger in an X, and sat in an S and a 3, today I saw my first Tesla (Model 3?) in the wild.  (It had a "T" on the back of it; that's how I know.)  (Mostly I don't notice brands.)
I've now seen two of the beasties in the wild, and twice have eavesdropped on conversations where my own rather long in the tooth VW had been misidentified as a Tesla.
Perhaps looking for the "T" is the best identifier. ;)

I don't think anyone ever confused a Hudson with a Studebaker.
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: October 15, 2019, 08:20:56 PM »
For folks in wheelchairs, filling the tank at a gas station is a major inconvenience — making the ability to charge at home a much-appreciated feature of EVs. And Tesla’s Summon capability stands out as potentially the most helpful.  Video at the link.

Tesla Smart Summon proves useful for wheelchair users
https://electrek.co/2019/10/15/tesla-smart-summon-useful-for-wheelchair-users/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: October 15, 2019, 09:02:04 PM »
Vincent (@vincent13031925) 10/15/19, 3:19 AM
Tesla China is now expanding the delivery team!!
Recruitment day Oct 19th, in city of Beijing, Shanghai & Shenzhen
Hmmm... it’s getting ready for
__ __ __ __ __ (plz fill in the blanks)

$TSLA #Tesla #China
https://twitter.com/vincent13031925/status/1184005976661225473
[chinese text images at the link]
KP: Those must be fake job listings to throw everyone off because TSLAQ told me there will be no China factory production anytime soon.  ::) ;D
PP:  According to business insider it's still a mud field with some digging going on. Somebody needs to update that article.
< Bankwuptcy?
<< Production hell  ;D

—-
Ray4Tesla (@ray4tesla) 10/14/19, 10:52 AM
Just released China insurance registration record indicates #Model3 is the sales champ among all EVs in #China, totaling 4272 in Sept. Here is the chart showing Model 3 vs X vs S vs NIO vs BYD vs Marvel. Looks like Model S needs refresh to boost sales. Source: 董买买
https://twitter.com/ray4tesla/status/1183757529597104128
[Image below.]
Ming Chen:  When you can afford to buy a S you buy a X in China. No refresh will help.
R4T: Other than its poor financials of NIO, ES6 is pretty decent in every respect.
< Forget everything else. There's a car called the Marvel X? Is @Marvel aware of it?
< It's a cool name, just the car doesn't look as cool. They should sue them for not making good use of the name.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: October 15, 2019, 09:08:03 PM »
For folks in wheelchairs, filling the tank at a gas station is a major inconvenience — making the ability to charge at home a much-appreciated feature of EVs. And Tesla’s Summon capability stands out as potentially the most helpful.  Video at the link.

Tesla Smart Summon proves useful for wheelchair users
https://electrek.co/2019/10/15/tesla-smart-summon-useful-for-wheelchair-users/

As someone who was stuck in a chair for ~1 yr.
A lift or an electrical ramp are pretty much a requirement if you're driving alone. In emergencies a way can be found, but it requires a lot of stamina and upper body strength to get the chair in and out of the vehicle while you're sitting - let alone the difficulty of getting yourself in and out of the chair and the drivers seat.
A full size van, even a minivan can be set up for a hoist or a ramp and electric sliding doors, but if you want to drive something else you're going to need an assistant & he or she can pump the gas or bring it to an easy access point.
Anyone in a chair already knows this. Anyone thinking of gifting a vehicle to a handicapped person should be aware that this is not a solution.
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3960 on: October 15, 2019, 10:18:11 PM »
Tesla’s Autopilot Could Save the Lives of Millions, But It Will Kill Some People First
The complicated ethics of Elon Musk’s grand autonomous vehicle experiment.
Computer mistakes don’t look like human mistakes. Autopilot has lightning reflexes and its attention never flags, but it sometimes fails to spot hazards in its path. Such oversights appear to have played a role in four of five known fatalities since Autopilot was introduced in 2015. Banner’s wreck, in fact, bore an uncanny resemblance to an earlier one. In August, Banner’s estate sued Tesla under Florida’s Wrongful Death Act. The estate’s argument is a straightforward product-liability claim: Tesla promised a safe car and delivered a dangerously defective one.

But Autopilot is unlike almost any other consumer product in history, in ways that offer a preview of the uncomfortable questions we’ll confront in the dawning robot age. Tesla’s flamboyant chief executive officer, Elon Musk, says the technology saves lives, and legions of Tesla owners offer their own testimonies of hazards spotted and collisions avoided. (And they have YouTube videos to prove it.) It’s possible that both sides are right, that the computers are killing a few drivers who otherwise would have lived, but that they’re also saving the lives of many more. In the coming years, society—in particular, regulators and the courts—will have to decide whether that’s an acceptable trade-off.

The question is no longer academic. Musk’s decision to put Autopilot in the hands of as many people as possible amounts to an enormous experiment, playing out on freeways all over the world. ...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-10-09/tesla-s-autopilot-could-save-the-lives-of-millions-but-it-will-kill-some-people-first

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3961 on: October 15, 2019, 11:12:35 PM »
Re: tesla auto drive and ethics

Tesla full auto ain't  there yet. Someday.  We'll know it there when insurance companies start offering a break for using full autodrive or the car companies offering insurance for full autodrive. Tesla and volvo have been making noises about it, but i think volvo has pushed out their timeline.

That said, consider smallpox vaccine, to which there is a small chance of fatal reaction. That did not prevent governments from inoculating me and hosts of others against smallpox. I think it's a good thing they did, but, then again i didnt die, so i'm biased.

https://www.cdc.gov/smallpox/vaccine-basics/vaccine-safety.html

sidd

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: October 16, 2019, 03:11:17 PM »
 :o
Elon Musk (@elonmusk) 10/16/19, 8:20 AM
@Teslarati The final configuration used at Nürburgring to set the record will go into production around summer 2020, so this is not merely for the track
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1184443978462064641

Tesla Model S Plaid hits Nürburgring in refreshed widebody with massive rear diffuser
Tesla has returned to the Nürburgring with a Model S Plaid Powertrain, sporting a refreshed aerodynamic package that includes the addition of side vents and a massive rear diffuser. The California-based electric carmaker is back at the famed German race circuit in an attempt to break its own lap record of 7:23 set last month.

With high hopes to push closer to a low 7-minute lap time this time around, Tesla’s tri-motor prototype with a newly refreshed and performance-oriented body kit is expected to further distance itself from rival Porsche Taycan in track performance. ...

Photo below from:
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-plaid-p100d-spy-shots-nurburgring-images/

=====
And the antithesis of sustained acceleration?  Is stopping sudden unintended acceleration.  Teslas have a setting for that, too.

A study by the NHTSA discovered that accidental engagement of the accelerator pedal causes around 16,000 preventable accidents a year in the US. These accidents happen when a driver thinks they are stepping on the brake pedal but are in fact stepping on the accelerator or on both pedals. Also, they found these incidents happen at low speeds, such as when parking.

A Quick Look At Tesla’s Obstacle-Aware Acceleration
What is obstacle-aware acceleration? The name implies what it does, and it’s one of Tesla’s many features that actually prevents minor accidents when enabled. Now You Know shows a quick comparison in the video below of how it works — with it enabled and disabled.
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/10/14/a-quick-look-at-teslas-obstacle-aware-acceleration/

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: October 16, 2019, 05:03:28 PM »
sigg
It's a poor analogy. Smallpox vaccination was public program intended to save lives. It was openly debated, then voted upon. Profit was never the goal. Beta test subjects gave their consent & double blind testing preceded mass vaccinations.

I'd try the early M14's that might jam, were "uncontrollable under full auto" & soldiers could not carry enough ammo to maintain fire superiority over the venerable AK-47s they faced.
Conscripts died unnecessarily as the result of M14's being introduced and tested "in the field". There was always the promise that "something better was coming", and none in the field had any say over what they, or others were armed with.

People died unnecessarily even as improvements were, and are still being made.
We eventually removed our M series rifles from the Vietnamese field. Few mourned their passing.

Let's remove self driving cars from public roadways before so many die that it becomes unthinkable to end the "experiment" without admitting complicity.
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: October 16, 2019, 05:30:10 PM »
Approximately the same timeline was estimated (upthread) because Model 3 production began about three months after production candidates were seen in the wild.  And close watchers of Tesla execs during last spring’s stockholder meeting saw them exchange knowing looks when Elon mentioned the later date....

”With the Model Y, I am willing to bet that Elon’s timeline for starting Model Y manufacturing was around the end of 2019, and after a lot of convincing from was persuaded to say Q1 2021 on stage — for the first time separating internal targets from public ones.”

Breaking! Tesla Model Y Production To Start ~Q1 2020 (Unofficial Leak)
October 15th, 2019
This information is going to cause some controversy, because everything we knew, or thought we knew, about Tesla’s Model Y timeline is about to change. Originally, the Model Y was supposed to start shipping in “late 2020.” Currently, Tesla’s website says new orders will ship in Q1 2021. However, according to an anonymous source with a proven and reliable track record, Tesla is about to accelerate its plans and start production sometime around Q1 2020 at its Fremont factory. (We’ve also received the same information independently through a second-hand source.) ...
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/10/15/breaking-tesla-model-y-production-to-start-in-q1-2020-unofficial-leak/

blumenkraft

« Reply #3965 on: October 16, 2019, 08:27:03 PM »
then again i didnt die, so i'm biased.

Made my day, Sidd. Thanks so much for that. :)

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 386
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #3966 on: October 17, 2019, 02:23:29 AM »
Talking about FSD and where it is likely to take us in terms of lives saved, I have an image for you.  I know quite a lot about this as Scotland was my home from the mid 80's to the mid 2010's.

If we look at this chart we see some key datum points.  Deaths on the roads were around 900 in 1970.  Between 1970 and 1980, car safety became much better, seatbelts became mandatory to be fitted in 1967 (at least in the front), then, in 1983, wearing seatbelts, in the front, became law.

From 1983 we see a huge drop in deaths on the roads.

Then, again, in 1991, rear seatbelts became mandatory to be worn.  Again, over the next few years deaths dropped.

In the 2000's Scotland went on a manic set of regulation changes, 20mph speed limits, traffic calming, speed camera's, drink drive limits slashed.

We saw a decline again.  But this is the press version.  At the same time we saw a huge rise in ABS and airbags.  Cars became much safer.

However, buoyed with the press about how their "laws" had saved so many lives, they slashed the drink driving limit again.

Last year there was a concerted effort to drop the drink driving limit in Scotland to 0.  It failed.  Why?  Because the last halving of the limit saved not one single life.

Speed limits are already low.  Camera's are everywhere and the use of number plate recognition average speed limits are massively on the rise.  Yet deaths on the roads refuse to drop significantly below 200.

So where can we go from here?

Enter FSD, advanced avoidance software and a whole plethora of other systems to protect both the driver and other road users.

But this is where it becomes a problem.  Because it is quite likely that Scotland could get down to 100 deaths per year with these enhanced systems.

The thing is that even if we did save 80-90 lives with them, they would be blocked by the 10-15 lives that might be taken by the mistakes as the software learns to be better.

You would think that reducing human error by saving 90 lives would massively outweigh the 10-15 lives that might be taken by computer mistakes.

But you would be wrong.  Apparently only humans are allowed to err and kill people and keep on doing it year after year without getting better.

Should we take the pragmatic approach, the existing Tesla software could save hundreds, if not thousands, of lives around the world.  But in the process of learning to be this good they might just take a few dozen.

Where this fits in, on topic?  Acceptance of FSD, warts and all, could boost Tesla dramatically.  Rejection of it wouldn't break them, but would greatly slow them down.

Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3967 on: October 17, 2019, 10:34:26 AM »
In the graph above note the steepish drop in deaths from 2008 to 2010. There was a financial crash followed by a nasty economic recession. In the UK, on one of our more notoriously crowded motorways, those who still had a job said how much easier was the morning and evening commute.

Less traffic on the roads at the worst time of day  - tired, irritable drivers in a hurry. Less traffic = less accidents. ? So I predict that in the UK at least, 2020 may see a significant drop in road traffic accidents.

ps : Safer cars also means thousands less serious injuries per annum.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #3968 on: October 17, 2019, 10:58:45 AM »
You can also clearly see the effect of OPEC in 1973 ,the Iran revolution in 1979 and Iraq Kuwait war 1990 on oil price hence car use.
Roll on the day when the world is not at the mercy of whacko's in the middle east   and the corrupt oil industry.
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #3969 on: October 17, 2019, 11:52:04 AM »

https://translate.google.co.il/translate?hl=en&tab=rT1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.globes.co.il%2Fnews%2Farticle.aspx%3Fdid%3D1001303895

Tesla is examining the Israeli car market for the possibility of direct entry into marketing in Israel
Automotive industry sources have said in recent months that Tesla's European division has been reviewing the conditions of the local car market, among others, the country's charging infrastructure and their engineering conformity to Tesla's rapid charging stations modeled by Superchargers and dedicated to the company's vehicles. In addition, various logistical options and conditions for activity in the country were examined, and inquiries were also made to managers in the automotive industry for the purpose of examining the possibility of a transaction in Tesla's administrative and operational system, if and when the activity begins here. It should be noted that so far no official approval of the company has been granted.
It should be noted that until recently, Israeli transport regulations prevented the possibility of importers / manufacturers not registered as an Israeli company importing vehicles into Israel; However, amendments that are currently included in the traffic regulations will soon allow a vehicle to be imported into Israel by a company / importer owned by a foreign corporation registered abroad.

Finally (though just rumors at the moment).
Israel is very small, quite flat, and very crowded with lots of stop-and-go traffic. Fuel is very expensive. EVs are a no brainer, especially considering taxes.
Israel has a ~70% import duty on ICE vehicles, but only 10% on mass market BEVs, very few of which are actually imported. The tax is planned to go up in the next few years, with the expected rise in sales.
Unlike the US, most Israelis live in high rise buildings so don't have their own garage. However, many buildings have underground parking lots with access to electricity.
The car market is very robust, a lot of which has to do with insufficient public transport. To add insult to injury there's no public transport on the Sabbath. Local politicians are hell-bent on doing evil, so solutions for actual problems are always late and partial.
In addition, there's a large hi-tech sector, relatively well-to-do and open to innovations, and a lot of awareness to environmental issues.
I expect Tesla to find quick success in Israel.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: October 17, 2019, 10:09:58 PM »
Tesla receives formal approval to begin Model 3 production in Gigafactory 3
China has given Tesla its formal approval to begin Model 3 production activities in Gigafactory 3. The announcement came amidst the release of a list from China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, which included Tesla as one of the government’s sanctioned automotive manufacturers.
Fortunately for Tesla, the State Grid Corp of China has recently opened the first transmission line to Gigafactory 3 as well, providing ample power to the massive complex to support initial vehicle production activities. According to a Bloomberg report, State Grid has noted that it would be increasing the power supply for Gigafactory 3 as the facility becomes more complete and as its electric car manufacturing activities ramp up. State Grid further mentioned that its Gigafactory 3 project, which involved laying 55 km (34 miles) of cables and about 17 km (10 miles) of ducts, only took about six months, making it as one of the fastest projects that the company has undertaken to date. ...
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-gigafactory-3-model-3-production-approval/

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: October 17, 2019, 11:00:09 PM »
There are conflicting reports about how much of the car needs to be shipped in and assembled.

It's a pretty good bet that the battery unit will have to be until phase 2 kicks in.

For the rest it is just guessing. My guess is that the presses are ready, but we shall see.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: October 18, 2019, 12:34:24 AM »
I think the various reports of “production has started” may refer to different levels/kinds of production. :)  There will be test production first, smoothing out difficulties in separate sections of the assembly line, before the whole process is ready.

Still, I would expect to have some sort of ceremony around the first official cars off the line.  But maybe that’s just me.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: October 18, 2019, 08:16:14 PM »
Twitterati report:  Tesla inventory is zero in Germany, Netherlands, France, UK, Austria, New Zealand and just a few in Belgium & Switzerland.
Delivery times are going up in the U.S., EU, New Zealand; and a record number of ships are on the way….

( https://twitter.com/angelndevil2/status/1184945454137724937 ...)

——
Price changes and performance updates:
Tesla Daily (@TeslaPodcast) 10/17/19, 3:11 AM
#Model3 U.S. Update:
•SR+: $38,990 -> $39,490 (+$500)
•SR+: Range 240mi -> 250mi (+10mi)
•Perf: $55,990 -> $56,990 (+$1,000)
•Black Paint: $750 -> $1,000 (+$250)
•NEW 20” Gray Performance Wheels
Delivery est. increased:
•SR+ 6-10wk
•AWD 6-10wk
•Perf 8-10wk
$TSLA #Bullish
https://twitter.com/teslapodcast/status/1184728593542369281
(Picture of the new wheels at the link.)
Tesla also changed the order deposit to just $100 - but they made it non-refundable now.

Meanwhile:
Elon Musk (@elonmusk) 10/17/19, 6:51 PM
Going offline for a few days
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1184965261624922112

What are the odds he’s headed to China for Giga 3 opening celebration?  And maybe meeting with Boring Company China, which he missed during his last visit… but to be back at Tesla HQ for the financial results call on the 23rd...?

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: October 18, 2019, 08:59:14 PM »
Meanwhile Johnna Crider details just how badly the shorts got it wrong on GF3.

Instead of following the hype of the critics, look at the monumental successes Tesla has had, and not just in China. The reason why short sellers are short Tesla is that they have made money betting against Tesla. I think this will soon change for them, and like all who face the daunting challenge of a big change, they refuse to accept it. They fight it and struggle with all they have. This is why they troll Tesla owners, fans, and shareholders (like me) online. This is why they create their echo chamber and convince some journalists to write negative headlines.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/10/18/from-the-mud-field-to-the-plug/

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3975 on: October 18, 2019, 11:21:20 PM »
For the record:  TSLA stock closed up for the ninth day in a row yesterday, an all-time record for the company.  The previous record was eight days, back in January 2013, when the stock was around $32.  (It closed down a bit today from around $260 yesterday, but is up now in aftermarket trading.)

https://techcastdaily.com/2019/10/17/gf3-model-y-plaid-updates-iihs-ev-taxis-volvo-xc40-uaw-gm-reach-tentative-agreement-10-16-19/

——-

Steve Jobs Ghost (@tesla_truth) 10/16/19, 12:28 PM
Smart $TSLAQ are starting to realize they were lied to.
TeslaCharts has openly admitted to selling them puts.
He knows he’s lying: It’s right in his bio.
So he’ll convince people to buy puts and make money selling them. Stealing the money right out of their pockets.
- as one ex $tslaq messaged me this morning:
“fool me once shame on you. fool me twice shame on me. Not falling for this bullshit any longer. i’m not stupid”
https://twitter.com/tesla_truth/status/1184506305278431232

blumenkraft

« Reply #3976 on: October 19, 2019, 04:01:55 AM »
Smart $TSLAQ

This is a contradiction! :P

BeeKnees

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 339
  • Likes Given: 335
« Reply #3977 on: October 19, 2019, 08:51:57 AM »
Tesla increasing prices when they are constrained by demand!!
Surely there has been a mistake.

I can already hear the spin that Tesla have been forced to raise prices because they are running out of money.
The Russian State has embarked on a genocide of Ukrainians that is supported by the owner of this forum

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: October 19, 2019, 11:58:03 AM »
Clearly, I mean they only have around $4.5bn left (rough guess, could be more or less).

Compared to Ford, that is paltry as Ford has $16bn available to it.

Ford also has 200,000 staff worldwide and 72 factories.

Tesla has a current ratio of 1.06 as of the end of Q2 2019.

That equates to

Tesla has a current ratio of 1.06. It generally indicates good short-term financial strength.

The current ratio for Ford is 1.2

The current total staff for Tesla (excluding G3 as that is not yet public) is: 45,000.

I would say, size for seze, that Tesla is in almost the same place as Ford with regards to costs and liquidity but Tesla operations are far more compact.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: October 19, 2019, 05:22:16 PM »
Elon Musk (@elonmusk) 10/15/19, 6:06 PM
So much respect for those doing high volume manufacturing. It’s insanely hard, but you make a real thing that people value. My hat is off to you … https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1184228977596129280

Elon Musk (@elonmusk) 10/15/19, 6:18 PM
Anyone who’s interested in working on cutting edge manufacturing — designing & building the machine that makes the machine — please consider working at Tesla or SpaceX. We’re gonna take this to a whole new level!
< I take it you’re soaking in the feels at Gigafactory 3? Are things going well there?
Elon Musk (@elonmusk) 10/15/19, 6:10 PM
Tesla team has done an incredible job with Giga Shanghai. Honored to work with them. I’m in awe.

——-
Russia has its own legion of Elon Musk fans.
Here’s an invitation they made:
Илон Маск Песня Elon Musk . Only Elon in Our Hearts. Только Илон в наших сердцах. - YouTube
#https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIUkfH4hEYk

And this just happened:
Илон Маск, Краснодар, форум Дело За Малым | Elon Mask in Krasnodar forum, Russia - YouTube
#https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Jb9GAGxmY

I normally don’t read or link to RussiaToday, but they have an article:
Young Russians serenade Elon Musk, put up billboard outside his office as elaborate invitation to entrepreneur forum
https://www.rt.com/news/469587-elon-musk-russia-billboard-music-video/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: October 19, 2019, 09:34:38 PM »
Lyft joins SAE International, Ford, General Motors, Toyota, Uber ATG and Daimler as a core member of the Automated Vehicle Safety Consortium (AVSC), “focused on collaboration ahead of a winner takes all mentality.”

(Because they realize none of them alone can take on Tesla’s lead in Full Self Driving.)

Self-Driving Requires Unprecedented Collaboration
https://medium.com/lyftlevel5/self-driving-requires-unprecedented-collaboration-c2f7762f3c70

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: October 20, 2019, 04:16:32 PM »
Self-Driving Requires Unprecedented Collaboration
https://medium.com/lyftlevel5/self-driving-requires-unprecedented-collaboration-c2f7762f3c70

Actually self driving requires unprecedented volumes of data.  Working in silo's won't cut it.  So they are collaborating.

But who has the most sensor equipped vehicles?  Software on the road today working in multiple roles?  Who has active and viable self driving (which is what Advanced Summon really is), functioning today on the most vehicles?

The answer is obvious.  Tesla.  Because every vehicle they manufacture has the ability to provide the data and the vast majority of them have allowed it.

Even more so is the ability of HW3 to work in shadow mode. Where the software is not engaged but is shadowing the human and comparing decision tree's.  This is learning at it's very fastest. Why did the human do something the computer would not.  Why did the human not do something the computer would. Who was, in the long run, correct.  These scenario's are being played out in their millions every day.

What choice do the competitors have?  They don't have the hardware, they don't have the data and their software may be more advanced; however software advances are something that can happen exponentially.  Data collection, on the other hand, is finite and takes time.

Robert A. Heinlein

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #3982 on: October 20, 2019, 04:30:10 PM »
They are in hundreds of thousands of vehicles, the largest car manufacturing building in the world...

TOTAL LIE. TOTAL NONSENSE

...the best vehicle optimised computer in the world...

I don't know anything about the detail of computing, and part of me actually thought there might be some truth to this. But alas, of course, it is apparently a TOTAL LIE, TOTAL NONSENSE. Very Neil.

https://www.businessinsider.com/older-teslas-reportedly-having-issues-charging-screen-not-working-memory-2019-10

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2019/10/report-tesla-owners-could-be-heading-into-a-world-pain/

https://jalopnik.com/worst-case-scenario-for-older-teslas-coming-to-fruition-1839105865

https://www.ibtimes.com/elon-musk-bids-goodbye-twitter-amid-complaints-over-teslas-breaking-down-2848646
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: October 20, 2019, 04:34:03 PM »
Q3 is going to be decreased Y/Y  revenue and gross margin. Tesla bulls are business clueless.

Q3 is going to be decreased Y/Y  revenue and gross margin. Tesla bulls are business clueless.

big time oops

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: October 20, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »

I don't know anything about the detail of computing, and part of me actually thought there might be some truth to this. But alas, of course, it is apparently a TOTAL LIE, TOTAL NONSENSE. Very Neil.

Best not to comment on it then.  What HW3 does in under 80w cannot be done in under 400w with any competitor hardware.

This is not supposition, this is hard fact.

What I did not know, initially, was that the chip designer was responsible for the Athlon64 and AMD zen architectures. Something my son told me.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in bugs or software, this foray into FSD is all about compute power and data.  Just like nuclear modelling was and the IBM Blue forays into games playing and gene mapping.

Tesla is leading in both. Waymo had 600 vehicles on the road in March 2019.  Tesla sold and shipped 100 times that (and more), in Q2 alone.  More than 150 times that in Q3.

Waymo has ordered ~50,000 more vehicles to add this, including 20,000 iPace.  By the time they get them, Tesla will have 1M vehicles on the road with HW capable of massively enhancing the data pool.  With, literally, millions of owner shadowed autonomous summons.

GSY, your window of calling me a clueless liar is closing.

Fortunately I take no offense from it.  I just smile and watch Tesla break record after record, achieve things everyone believes are impossible and go from strength to strength.

Every year I watch and wait, Tesla grows stronger and so does my case that Tesla is solid.

Your journey, year by year, is not so happy.  So I take no offense.

Robert A. Heinlein

blumenkraft

« Reply #3985 on: October 20, 2019, 09:44:26 PM »
So pleased to have someone regularly dropping in and yelling at everybody. So refreshing and not annoying at all.

#not

blumenkraft

« Reply #3986 on: October 20, 2019, 09:47:55 PM »

Since we are out of bigger font sizes, he might not be able to escalate any further. ;D

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3987 on: October 20, 2019, 10:37:15 PM »

Since we are out of bigger font sizes, he might not be able to escalate any further. ;D
Since we are out of bigger font sizes..

Wrong

And I did not cheat - using the standard menu
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #3988 on: October 20, 2019, 11:10:59 PM »
A child yells because they think it makes a point stronger.
An adult states their case quietly and clearly and relies on the content to make the point not the volume.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe's_Law

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #3989 on: October 21, 2019, 12:49:57 AM »
I'm sure glad we're just posting published items that support glory or failure. [/s]

Americans Cold On Electric Vehicles Despite Red-Hot Tesla Model 3
... something for both the glory folks and the failure folks!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3990 on: October 21, 2019, 04:19:18 PM »
big time oops

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: October 21, 2019, 04:20:24 PM »
Loading bays filling up at GF3

Robert A. Heinlein

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: October 21, 2019, 04:21:01 PM »
A child yells because they think it makes a point stronger.
An adult states their case quietly and clearly and relies on the content to make the point not the volume.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe's_Law

Occasionally an adult has to yell at a child when they are being careless morons and not listening.
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: October 21, 2019, 04:25:01 PM »
Loading bays filling up at GF3

Just a ploy to have something positive to talk about on the earnings call on wednesday. Same with the Model Y.

How else does fElon distract from a Y/Y decrease in revenue AND gross margin cut almost in half.
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: October 21, 2019, 04:26:48 PM »
So pleased to have someone regularly dropping in and yelling at everybody. So refreshing and not annoying at all.

#not

Ya, I get it. I'm the lifeblood of this thread. Without me it is just so blah.

#welcome
big time oops

GoSouthYoungins

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: October 21, 2019, 04:34:49 PM »
Neil, you ever going to actually respond to any of the things I claimed that you are LYING about?!?

You claimed that Tesla has the biggest car manufacturing building in the world. I pointed out that this is a total lie. Any response? (please don't tell some story about your son or daughter and how important y'all are. just tell me what this building is.)

You claimed that Tesla is super winning on the computing side (and no, you were not just talking about data collection for the purpose of FSD). I posted several mainstream articles pointing out that Tesla's are filling up their memories and causing major problems. Any genuine response? (please don't tell some story about your son or daughter and how important y'all are. just tell me how being brilliant on computing matches up with memories filling up and bricking cars.)
big time oops

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: October 21, 2019, 05:16:31 PM »
I think I will wait to post here again until the BK happens. So goodbye for the next few months.
Until the biggest "I told you so" ever, so long.

Proving once again the value of your words here.  Less than zero.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: October 21, 2019, 05:19:00 PM »
Michael Demaray (@MYDemaray) 10/20/19, 2:36 PM
Stumbled across a lot just packed with Model Ys. ...
https://twitter.com/mydemaray/status/1185988291243450370
Two-minute video at the link.

—-
Morten Grove (@mortenlund89) 10/20/19, 5:39 AM
Jasper Arrow the 6th Q4 Tesla-ship has arrived at Pier 80 to load Model 3,S,X
https://twitter.com/mortenlund89/status/1185853031059021824

blumenkraft

« Reply #3998 on: October 21, 2019, 05:33:12 PM »
And I did not cheat - using the standard menu

Now that is interesting. How did you do it?

PM me if it's too hacky... ;)

crandles

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 239
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #3999 on: October 21, 2019, 06:01:15 PM »
hi, large
largest?
[size=100pt]too large[/size]
Don't know how to get such large sizes other than by editing the numbers. 3 digit numbers don't seem to be recognised. But I hope these large sizes don't become too common.