Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Tesla glory/failure  (Read 1161988 times)

blumenkraft

Re: Tesla glory/failure
« Reply #5900 on: July 26, 2020, 07:29:24 AM »
The volatility is unbelievable.

As someone who's watching bitcoin for a long time, i can tell you, this is nothing! ;)

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #5901 on: July 26, 2020, 11:15:24 AM »
I think it is Tesla's failure to be congratulated by the murderous tyrant.
From Trump on twitter:

Great job by @elonmusk in agreeing to build, in TEXAS, what is expected to be the largest auto plant anywhere in the world. He kept his word to me. Texas & @Tesla are big winners. MADE IN THE USA!

To which Musk replied:
Thank you on behalf of the Tesla team. We look forward to building Giga Texas!

I'm so sad to see this happenning. Elon Musk is helping Trump enact the "meat grinder" c19 strategy to gain favor for Tesla Inc.

Can he really not bend the knee to the tyrant without bringing even more risk to Tesla? I think he could make a stand. Tesla inc does not need the tyrant's help. So that leads me to the conclusion he doesn't want to. Why?

Trump will steal the elections and enact Trumpmerica. I guess Elon wants dibs on the crumbles that fall of trump's table. The price he pays is too high.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

Zythryn

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #5902 on: July 26, 2020, 03:53:31 PM »
From Trump on twitter:

Great job by @elonmusk in agreeing to build, in TEXAS, what is expected to be the largest auto plant anywhere in the world. He kept his word to me. Texas & @Tesla are big winners. MADE IN THE USA!

To which Musk replied:

I'm so sad to see this happenning. Elon Musk is helping Trump enact the "meat grinder" c19 strategy to gain favor for Tesla Inc.

Can he really not bend the knee to the tyrant without bringing even more risk to Tesla? I think he could make a stand. Tesla inc does not need the tyrant's help. So that leads me to the conclusion he doesn't want to. Why?

Trump will steal the elections and enact Trumpmerica. I guess Elon wants dibs on the crumbles that fall of trump's table. The price he pays is too high.

Trump had nothing to do with Elon picking Texas.
Trump simply is trying to take credit for something he had nothing to do with.

Frankly, I am surprised Trump didn’t start a Twitter war against Tesla after Elon quit Trumps council of business leaders a couple years ago.

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 387
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #5903 on: July 26, 2020, 05:58:53 PM »
Because, despite the general perception, Trump is not actually stupid and could see more upside as Tesla grew.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: July 26, 2020, 06:06:25 PM »
CleanTechnica had to have a dig.  Not in your face but very much I. T. Y. S.

People Called Us Tesla Biased For Years. Perhaps We Just Analyzed The Story Decently?

I have no intention here to rub anything in the faces of people who were wrong about Tesla [TSLA]. Frankly, I’m sure there were plenty of good, honest people who were just on the wrong side of a complicated analysis. I have known some of them. Disruptive transitions are disruptive because they can be sort of hard to see coming, or the inertia of human thought is just so strong that our mind blocks out what’s obvious. Either way, the point is that you can be smart, thoughtful, and genuine but still have a faulty analysis about a disruptive technology and a disruptive company.

We’ve been criticized by some parties for years for being “Tesla fans” or “biased” or simply irrational. There is no doubt we make mistakes. We make mistakes every day. You can’t be in this industry full time and not make a lot of mistakes. This is not scientific research in which you perform a regression analysis and come to rigorous scientific conclusions on everything before you publish about it. Nonetheless, the mistakes are no less humbling and sometimes horribly embarrassing. It happens, and we own up to mistakes when we make them even if it is painful.

Regarding Tesla, though, I think there was actually such an anti-Tesla bias permeating the industry — the auto industry, Wall Street, broader journalism, and beyond — that any site that reported a consistently positive story on Tesla was written off by many as an illogical and biased fan site. At this point in time, though, I think it’s time for a bit of a reckoning, and while I don’t want to boast (boasting sucks), I think it’s high time to reframe the view of the media landscape. We took a ton of unwarranted, illogical, biased heat for reporting the actual story of Tesla.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/07/26/people-called-us-tesla-biased-for-years-perhaps-we-just-analyzed-the-story-decently/amp/

We've seen a bit of that here too....

Robert A. Heinlein

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 379
« Reply #5905 on: July 26, 2020, 11:53:53 PM »
I think some simply don't grok electric cars are coming.
Tesla owns the bench mark for the technology.
The polestar 2 is getting the same sort of write ups the I pace received by the motoring press. I foresee the same result
Loved by the press fails to meet the standard set by Tesla according to those who are buying.

Comment on phone edit on lap top
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:52:40 AM by KiwiGriff »
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1159
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #5906 on: July 27, 2020, 02:39:43 AM »
Earl of :'( stonks (@28delayslater) 7/25/20, 7:18 AM
Turns out it was legacy automakers that might not make it. $TSLA 
https://twitter.com/28delayslater/status/1286984109043208192
First Image below.

Teemu Rajala (@teseppa) 7/25/20, 9:19 AM
https://twitter.com/teseppa/status/1287014536785072129
Second image below.

Third World Tesla (@thirdworldtesla) 7/22/20, 7:14 PM
 “If GM wANtEd tO” 
https://twitter.com/thirdworldtesla/status/1286077161435049984
Third image below.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: July 27, 2020, 08:02:25 AM »
They gotta build this for the world outside of the USA .
In the car park at work in nz it is all wagons except for the 4x4  trucks .
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Robert Heinlein.

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: July 27, 2020, 09:46:51 AM »
Tesla is set up to change the world, whether we let it or not. It is already happenning.

That change can be for good. A downright utopic future with clean cities and without the dark cloud of climate change looming over our future.

However, such future not only requieres technology. It requieres freedom and law and order. Tesla has the technology part. However, freedom and law and order are in mortal danger at the most difficult time. Without freedom and law and order, Tesla technology leads to a racist dystopia and ultimately the failure of its mission.

Tesla is where it is today (technology and market penetration, not stock price) because of the hard work and perverance of many, not by stealing and using privilege to get away with it.

It is not a good time for Tesla to depart a winning formula. There is so much to do yet.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

zizek

« Reply #5909 on: July 27, 2020, 01:40:40 PM »
From Trump on twitter:

To which Musk replied:

Remember when Musk donated almost $100,000 to Trump's republicans? if I remember correctly, the ASIF pro-Tesla take was that Musk was just "playing the game" to promote his business. Ends justify the means etc. etc.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/elon-musk-donations-republicans_n_5b4e4bd8e4b0b15aba897481?ri18n=true

Archimid, I respect that you are spending more time questioning Musk after his C19 posts and now this. I hope you are realizing some of the issues tied up with Musk and his vision.

----

Anyways. I'm glad we spent years arguing over Musks' and Tesla's intentions. The amount of energy this forum spent defending musk instead of focusing on real solutions like public transport really sobers any hope of defeating climate change. Now we're left with this:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1285819565407002624

You would think some of the pro-tesla posters would show a more humility after Musk criticized lockdown orders so he could keep his factory open. And went as far as firing employees for not following Tesla's own guidance.....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/07/01/tesla-plant-firings/

Glad Musk et al. encouraged America to open up. Things are looking great for the United States. If the goal of beating climate change is to kill as many people as possible, than maybe Musk really is a hero.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5910 on: July 28, 2020, 03:15:40 AM »
Elon Musk Says Tesla Gigafactory Berlin To Use Prefabricated Construction Methods
1) Eco-friendly Construction …
2) It reduces the construction time
With prefab construction, work on the foundation and the shell of the building can done simultaneously, saving time. The shell is usually made in a separate location in a factory, which also eliminates any hindrances caused by changing weather conditions.
3) It decreases costs …
https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/tesla-gigafactory-berlin-elon-musk-prefab-construction

Whole Mars Catalog (@WholeMarsBlog) 7/27/20, 2:37 PM
“The electric car batteries that Tesla wants to produce in Grünheide are said to outshine all previous car batteries. There is a completely new technology behind the power storage. The new batteries are smaller and, thanks to their higher energy density, allow for greater range..
https://twitter.com/wholemarsblog/status/1287819487186546688
...Tesla plans to provide details of its battery in the US at the end of September” — Minister of Economics Jörg Steinbach

—- Nasdaq 100
Mighty T Ξ S L A (@MightyTesla) 7/27/20, 2:14 PM
Top 6 companies make up nearly half of Nasdaq 100 value.
The part that surprised me that $TSLA is in top 6 now.
*Data as of JUL 22. 
https://twitter.com/mightytesla/status/1287813670064590850
First image below.
[Mon July 27:  TSLA Closed +122.60  +8.65%  @ $1,539.60 ]

—-
Second image below: speculation on an imminent big capital raise.

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: July 28, 2020, 09:10:57 AM »
Tesla is a real solution to climate change. Elon Musk recent departure from science and his honeymoon with the racist tyrant are reason for alarm because this unholy union endangers everything.

Once Trump consolidates power, he will dump Tesla like garbage the moment it is convenient for him to do it, regardless of Tesla's engineering or marketing proess. Merit do not matter to the tyrant,  only his temporary convinience matters.

Tesla is where it is today because they earned it. That's what happens in a free market. In a free market Tesla is master of its own destiny.

In a tyrant controlled market, Tesla's destiny is whatever the tyrant wishes. And judging by the tyrant's loyalties, Saudi Arabia and Russia, Tesla will very likely be buried.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:33:42 AM by Archimid »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3588
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #5912 on: July 28, 2020, 09:12:57 AM »
In a tyrant controlled market, Tesla's destiny is whatever the tyrant wishes.
Giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe Tesla realize this and act accordingly to appease the Orange Idiot.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:11:48 AM by oren »

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: July 28, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
So kinda like Fauci? Tesla is stuck in a bad situation and they just say little white lies here and there to appease the tyrant so they can keep doing what they are doing?

Good people doing bad things to appease the tyrant. If they don't, the tyrant hurts them or "the mission".

History rhymes.

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: July 28, 2020, 12:28:45 PM »
All manufacturers of a certain size fund political parties.  Usually they fund both at the same time but for a new and growing company this akes little sense because the Republicans are the party most likely to pass legislation that keep them in business.

These donations are not about politics, as such, they are simple. Business decisions.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: July 28, 2020, 01:29:21 PM »
Second image below: speculation on an imminent big capital raise.

And here it is.  Debt tied to auto leases. 
Tesla’s auto lease performance has always been better than industry average.

Tesla plans $780 million bond deal pegged to vehicle leases—its first such offering during the pandemic
Published: July 27, 2020 at 9:14 p.m. ET
Tesla bonds talked at premium to other auto bonds
Telsa Inc., after reporting a surprise second-quarter profit, plans to raise $779.53 million this week in the asset-backed bond market.

The Palo Alto, Calif.-based electric-vehicle maker is offering eight classes of bonds to investors that mature in 2.7-years or less and carry mostly top AAA ratings from Moody’s Investors Service.

It marks the company’s first such debt deal of the year, after raising funds in a similar manner once last year and twice in 2018, according to Moody’s data.

But it also will be Tesla’s TSLA, +8.65% first asset-backed bond sale during the global pandemic, which has Americans in the throes of a deep economic recession brought on by social-distancing restrictions and other orders designed to limit the spread of the contagion.

Leases on Tesla’s Model S sedans and Model X SUVs make up half of the collateral for the bond deal, with those on comparatively less expensive Model 3 sedans comprising roughly the remainder, according to Moody’s.

During the last major crisis, U.S. consumers surprised lenders by prioritizing their auto payments above their home mortgages, which resulted in few credit issues on bonds backed by vehicle leases during that cycle, but instead a wave of home foreclosures. That fact may help to bolster demand for Tesla’s debt.

Meanwhile, Tesla’s assets have been coveted amid the pandemic that has rocked most other industries.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-plans-780-million-bond-deal-pegged-to-vehicle-leasesits-first-such-offering-during-the-pandemic-2020-07-27

zizek

« Reply #5916 on: July 28, 2020, 02:09:53 PM »
All manufacturers of a certain size fund political parties.  Usually they fund both at the same time but for a new and growing company this akes little sense because the Republicans are the party most likely to pass legislation that keep them in business.

These donations are not about politics, as such, they are simple. Business decisions.

"Political contributions are not political when done by big businesses. they are simply business decisions"
See me after class.... F-

zizek

« Reply #5917 on: July 28, 2020, 02:21:39 PM »
Tesla is a real solution to climate change.

If anybody on this forum could provide me with any evidence that Musk's approach of "individualized mass transport" (https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1285824098711375872) aka. replacing public transport with electric cars will meet 1.5, let alone 2.0°C targets I will use my own credit cards to purchase them one Tesla share. Anybody, anywhere, please give me one convincing study that shows how we can beat climate change by building 7.5 billion electric cars. I will eat my hat, i will do anything. i will give you all my worldly possessions. I will make love to you. I will do anything you want. Just show me any evidence. A single drop of evidence that personal car ownership over public transport will beat climate change. Anything. Please. For the love of god. Will this forum that prides itself as a scientific forum give me a single piece of evidence.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #5918 on: July 28, 2020, 02:23:22 PM »
I think you are rather safe there zizek.  ;)
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: July 28, 2020, 03:32:21 PM »
Zizek, you assume that Tesla is about replacing mass transport with individual transport.

Let me counter your claim.  You provide evidence that this is the Tesla goal.  After all nearly 90m personal vehicles are sold per year.  Removing mass transport would have to raise that figure to hundreds of millions.

Show me where that is identified as a goal.

Most mass transport is already electric (rail), or moving that way (busses with 0 or significantly reduced emissions).

If you can't prove that Tesla intends to replace mass transport with personal electric vehicles, then I just have to assume that you don't like Musk and are making statements.

Where have I heard that before??

Robert A. Heinlein

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: July 28, 2020, 03:37:09 PM »
A single drop of evidence that personal car ownership over public transport will beat climate change. Anything. Please. For the love of god. Will this forum that prides itself as a scientific forum give me a single piece of evidence.
AKA construct a straw man and expect us to demolish it for you.
Your imagination you deal with it.

More people use personal cars than public transport every day.
Replacing ice cars with electric ones is a win for climate change .
Musk is proposing to make personal ownership of cars obsolete. As a personal  car is used about 2% of the time increasing  that usage rate by a large margin makes better use of the emissions inherent in its construction. Another win for climate change.

Your straw man presents a binary option private cars / public transport.
This is a technique common with deniers ...pick only  only one technology then state it will not solve climate change alone so is not worth pursuing.
In the real world a range of solutions will limit our emissions  not any one technology by itself .
Robert Heinlein.

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: July 28, 2020, 03:42:38 PM »
Anybody, anywhere, please give me one convincing study that shows how we can beat climate change by building 7.5 billion electric cars.

We can not beat climate change by building 7.5 billion electric cars. That's stupid.

However, we can beat climate change by:

Switching all our energy production to renewables. (Tesla Energy)
Switching all our transportation to electric (Tesla Motors)
Significantly reducing our transportation fingerprint (Boring Company, self driving cars, million mile powertrains)
Switching to sustainable farming ( Not tesla)
Do all that inside 10 years. ( Not tesla by itself, although they are trying)
Do that while working on massive carbon capture solutions. ( not tesla)
Do that while developing geoengineering solutions for the worst hit Earth systems like the Arctic.(Not Tesla)

By no means can Tesla alone save us from the horrors of climate change. However, Tesla can help tremendously and it already helped move the electric car from akward machinery to state of the art.

zizek

« Reply #5922 on: July 28, 2020, 04:55:35 PM »
Zizek, you assume that Tesla is about replacing mass transport with individual transport.

Let me counter your claim.  You provide evidence that this is the Tesla goal.  After all nearly 90m personal vehicles are sold per year.  Removing mass transport would have to raise that figure to hundreds of millions.

Show me where that is identified as a goal.

Most mass transport is already electric (rail), or moving that way (busses with 0 or significantly reduced emissions).

If you can't prove that Tesla intends to replace mass transport with personal electric vehicles, then I just have to assume that you don't like Musk and are making statements.

Where have I heard that before??

I literally included Musk's tweet saying "individualized mass transport is the future". This is the post you're replying to. I'm not sure how I can make this any more clear.

And I've posted this numerous times in this thread.....
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon-musk-calls-transit-expert-an-idiot-and-then-the-idiot-fires-back-2017-12-17
https://www.wired.com/story/elon-musk-awkward-dislike-mass-transit/

also, i can't find it now, but in a post by Tesla they talk about having a car in every driveway, or something along those lines. I've posted it here before.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 05:03:51 PM by zizek »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5923 on: July 28, 2020, 04:55:52 PM »
Tesla's blind spot?

Good Public Transport - especially by electric buses and trams, could reduce the transportation fingerprint by a factor far greater than a simple switch from ICE to EV for personal transportation.

The hanging fruit is for Urban Areas....

Almost three quarters of the European population lived in an urban area in 2015,

68% of the world population projected to live in urban areas ...
www.un.org › development › desa › news › population
16 May 2018 - Today, 55% of the world's population lives in urban areas, a proportion that is expected to increase to 68% by 2050.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

zizek

« Reply #5924 on: July 28, 2020, 05:07:01 PM »
A single drop of evidence that personal car ownership over public transport will beat climate change. Anything. Please. For the love of god. Will this forum that prides itself as a scientific forum give me a single piece of evidence.
AKA construct a straw man and expect us to demolish it for you.
Your imagination you deal with it.

More people use personal cars than public transport every day.
Replacing ice cars with electric ones is a win for climate change .
Musk is proposing to make personal ownership of cars obsolete. As a personal  car is used about 2% of the time increasing  that usage rate by a large margin makes better use of the emissions inherent in its construction. Another win for climate change.

Your straw man presents a binary option private cars / public transport.
This is a technique common with deniers ...pick only  only one technology then state it will not solve climate change alone so is not worth pursuing.
In the real world a range of solutions will limit our emissions  not any one technology by itself .

But Teslais not providing a range of solution. This binary issue is being created by Tesla, not me. Musk wants to replace public transport with private transport. Personal car ownership and the suburban lifestyle is a problem that must be confronted. Building more cars is not sustainable, electric or not......

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5925 on: July 28, 2020, 05:24:52 PM »
Tesla's blind spot?

Good Public Transport

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EdgmFAKVcAAhRd_?format=jpg&name=large

Tesla is already in the public transport market. That's an image of the las vegas Boring company tunnel. The carts appear to be Model 3's and Y's. The rails, the neural network. The tunnels thin and easy to make fast with next generation electric tunnel boring machines.

Imagine what a solar powered, automatic network of underground electric cars can do for gas, visual and noise pollution? The next generation mas transportation device can run on sunlight, last 1,000,000  miles and drive itself, under the ground, without traffic.  Seems they got that segment covered.

zizek

« Reply #5926 on: July 28, 2020, 07:36:10 PM »
Tesla's blind spot?

Good Public Transport - especially by electric buses and trams, could reduce the transportation fingerprint by a factor far greater than a simple switch from ICE to EV for personal transportation.

The hanging fruit is for Urban Areas....

Almost three quarters of the European population lived in an urban area in 2015,

68% of the world population projected to live in urban areas ...
www.un.org › development › desa › news › population
16 May 2018 - Today, 55% of the world's population lives in urban areas, a proportion that is expected to increase to 68% by 2050.

Electric trams and buses are not blind spots, they are competition.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: July 29, 2020, 07:17:09 AM »
Well.
I would consider that a win for the pro Tesla camp.
I will quite happily present actual scientific study's and real world verifiable data to back my opinion As will the rest of you.
Don't expect zizek to pay up .
They never do .....

Robert Heinlein.

blumenkraft

« Reply #5928 on: July 29, 2020, 10:18:19 AM »
However, this is not ok. This is a failure.

Link >> https://www.quiverquant.com/sources/ceocompensation
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 10:24:31 AM by blumenkraft »

BeeKnees

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 335
« Reply #5929 on: July 29, 2020, 12:17:48 PM »
This is an interesting comment from Musk.

I wonder how serious he is about it or whether existing car makers would be prepared to admit defeat.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1288265150928125952?s=20
"Tesla is open to licensing software and supplying powertrains & batteries. We’re just trying to accelerate sustainable energy, not crush competitors!"

Also where it means someone could use Tesla tech in a mass transit solution.
The Russian State has embarked on a genocide of Ukrainians that is supported by the owner of this forum

zizek

« Reply #5930 on: July 29, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »

I wonder how serious he is about it or whether existing car makers would be prepared to admit defeat.

"Tesla is open to licensing software and supplying powertrains & batteries. We’re just trying to accelerate sustainable energy, not crush competitors!"

Tesla released a similar pledge a few years back and it was bullshit. Just like this is going to be. Musk and his fans love this shit. He makes a bold statement on Twitter that paints himself as an altruistic savior. "OPEN SOURCE TECHNOLOGY TO SAVE THE WORLD". Everyone eats that shit up. No scrutiny is given. And then later when it's shown to be obvious bullshit we all just magically forget about it and focus on the next new and amazing thing Musk is offering.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=ca6c332f-2cc5-401b-b80d-36473d0754c7
https://financialpost.com/legal-post/tesla-motors-inc-patents-warning

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: July 29, 2020, 03:29:15 PM »

Elon Musk, CEO June 12, 2014
All Our Patent Are Belong To You
Yesterday, there was a wall of Tesla patents in the lobby of our Palo Alto headquarters. That is no longer the case. They have been removed, in the spirit of the open source movement, for the advancement of electric vehicle technology.

Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology.

When I started out with my first company, Zip2, I thought patents were a good thing and worked hard to obtain them. And maybe they were good long ago, but too often these days they serve merely to stifle progress, entrench the positions of giant corporations and enrich those in the legal profession, rather than the actual inventors. After Zip2, when I realized that receiving a patent really just meant that you bought a lottery ticket to a lawsuit, I avoided them whenever possible.

At Tesla, however, we felt compelled to create patents out of concern that the big car companies would copy our technology and then use their massive manufacturing, sales and marketing power to overwhelm Tesla. We couldn’t have been more wrong. The unfortunate reality is the opposite: electric car programs (or programs for any vehicle that doesn’t burn hydrocarbons) at the major manufacturers are small to non-existent, constituting an average of far less than 1% of their total vehicle sales.

At best, the large automakers are producing electric cars with limited range in limited volume. Some produce no zero emission cars at all.

Given that annual new vehicle production is approaching 100 million per year and the global fleet is approximately 2 billion cars, it is impossible for Tesla to build electric cars fast enough to address the carbon crisis. By the same token, it means the market is enormous. Our true competition is not the small trickle of non-Tesla electric cars being produced, but rather the enormous flood of gasoline cars pouring out of the world’s factories every day.

We believe that Tesla, other companies making electric cars, and the world would all benefit from a common, rapidly-evolving technology platform.

Technology leadership is not defined by patents, which history has repeatedly shown to be small protection indeed against a determined competitor, but rather by the ability of a company to attract and motivate the world’s most talented engineers. We believe that applying the open source philosophy to our patents will strengthen rather than diminish Tesla’s position in this regard.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

(The title is derived from a famous poorly-translated phrase in a Japanese video game.)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: July 29, 2020, 04:22:35 PM »
—— Tesla Tech
Elon Musk (@elonmusk) 7/28/20, 8:08 PM
Tesla is open to licensing software and supplying powertrains & batteries. We’re just trying to accelerate sustainable energy, not crush competitors!
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1288265150928125952

< Software as in autopilot?
Elon Musk (@elonmusk) 7/28/20, 8:10 PM
Sure

Tesla-obsessed German automakers look to solve multi-year tech deficit
Tesla’s electric vehicle technology is head and shoulders above the rest of the industry. Now, German car companies who are chasing after them are trying to figure out how the multi-year lead Tesla maintains over other automotive companies can be reduced. CEOs are becoming more vocal about the Elon Musk-headed company’s dominance in the electric vehicle sector.
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-german-automakers-behind-ev-tech/amp/

—-  Tesla Network
ARK Invest (@ARKInvest) 7/28/20, 9:25 AM
Although it didn't face many such questions on its earnings call last week, ARK believes #Tesla has strategic & tactical reasons to launch a ride-hailing service with human drivers before its robotaxi network launches next year. Analyst @TashaARK has more: [see below]

Cathie Wood (@CathieDWood) 7/28/20, 11:27 PM
If successful, which we believe will be the case, a $TSLA ride-hailing service will lower the probability of our bear case substantially during the next five years, bolstering our base case at ~$7,000. We are encouraged that few analysts are modeling this possibility! twitter.com/arkinvest/stat…

rajeev bhatia (@RajeevBhatia416) 7/28/20, 3:14 PM
Super smart.
1. More Teslas active on roads captures more data.
2. Initiates comfort with broader public unfamiliar with Teslas.
3. Tesla can command premium prices for rides, appealing to affluent, frequent commuters.
4. Enables conscientious greens who can’t afford Teslas.
https://twitter.com/arkinvest/status/1288103302736093184

Ride-Hailing Is Overlooked as an Opportunity for Tesla
By Tasha Keeney | @TashaARK
Although it did not face many such questions on its earnings call this week, ARK believes that Tesla has strategic and tactical reasons to launch a ride-hailing service with human drivers before its robotaxi network launches next year. With a more competitive cost structure than Uber or Lyft, Tesla could enjoy a recurring revenue business model with software-like margins well above its current EV margin structure.

Based on our research, Tesla could launch its ride-hailing service at a premium price of $4 per mile, slightly more than Uber‘s average price in New York City, and could lower prices over time to penetrate more price-sensitive markets. ARK estimates that Tesla’s ride-hailing service could deliver roughly 50% EBITDA margins, a premium to Uber’s in cities it dominates and, that at global scale and an average of $1 per mile, its addressable market would be roughly $50 billion.[1]

While ARK still believes that Tesla will be the market leader in autonomous driving, certainly in the US, if it were to launch a human-driven ride-hailing network, the bridge to autonomous would increase its margins and lower its risks considerably. For more on this opportunity, stay tuned for our upcoming research.

[1] ARK Estimate. Subject to change.
https://t.co/SKKfCYdIcV

—— Tesla Throws Down the Gauntlet:  300 miles [~500 km]
By Sam Korus | @skorusARK
During Tesla’s second quarter earnings call, Elon Musk claimed that the standard EPA range for electric vehicles (EVs) will be 300-miles, well above that for most EVs in the market today. ARK’s research suggests that incumbent automakers will not be able to compete with Tesla on traditional metrics like range and performance at any given price point. Perhaps their survival will depend on their ability to create neighborhood electric vehicles or electric bikes.
https://t.co/SKKfCYdIcV

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: July 31, 2020, 09:55:17 PM »
Tesla reports the next quarterly instalment of Safety figures when on AP or with Active safety.

https://electrek.co/2020/07/31/tesla-q2-2020-safety-report-strong-improvement-autopilot-accidents/amp/

Year on year is impressive even if quarter over quarter is very slightly up.

I do think Tesla is missing an opportunity though.  They have the data and are crunching the data so they should know when AP or active safety avoids an accident which a human might not. They would also be able to put a severity rating behind this avoidance too.

Then Tesla figures would go from a very dry set of numbers which might be manipulated in many ways to a very specific set of figures where, in the most severe cases, Tesla could say; "our software saved these lives".

Over time and with increased sales, that number would only go up.  It is a classic counter to those who abuse the system and wind up dead from the lack of a sense of self preservation.

Robert A. Heinlein

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: July 31, 2020, 11:25:44 PM »
Just to add to that,

Although 19 percent of people in the U.S. live in rural areas and 30 percent of the vehicle miles traveled occur in rural areas, almost half of crash deaths occur there.

https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/urban-rural-comparison

This is an area where AP is more likely to be in effect. Making the lives saved even more.

Robert A. Heinlein

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: August 01, 2020, 12:30:22 AM »
But Tesla is not providing a range of solution. This binary issue is being created by Tesla, not me. Musk wants to replace public transport with private transport. Personal car ownership and the suburban lifestyle is a problem that must be confronted. Building more cars is not sustainable, electric or not......
Made up rubbish of the usual standard from those obsessed with Musk  as the Antichrist.
The pros seldom consider Musk instead are focused on what the company is doing.
Those against almost always end up focusing on  Musk the evil incarnate in virtually every comment they make .

Never heard of self-driven vehicles, and what they will do for transport ?
Guess what happens to private car ownership when you can call up a self driven one for a few cents per mile?
Tony Seba .
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/autonomous-ev-seba/
Tesla is debatably the leading proponent in this technology . Successful implantation will rely on who can crunch the most data .
Think what having  over 750000 connected cars on the road being used in the real world does for the amount of data Tesla has.

Neil may be right ... sock puppet and not worth spending time debating some one proven to be so wrong so often who never acknowledges his repeated failures to project Tesla's future.
blocked......

Robert Heinlein.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: August 01, 2020, 09:09:33 PM »
—— GigaBerlin
GF4Tesla...build #GigaBerlin. (@Gf4Tesla) 7/31/20, 12:44 PM
#GigaBerlin
July 31/ 2020
+++Weekend update +++
- new reinforced concrete pillars in ( BiW ) set
- new foundations in ( GA - SE ) prepared
- a quantity of building materials delivered in ( DU )
- More walls and roof elements in ( PT )
- "Tesla Straße" is being prepared.
https://twitter.com/gf4tesla/status/1289240633417142273
2 min drone vid of the construction site.

—- Engineering Graduates Rank Tesla & SpaceX As The Top 2 Favorite Employers
Today's businesses operate in a highly competitive employment landscape, so they must be attractive. Through Universum research, employers can gain valuable insight into how their organization is perceived by the employees of tomorrow.

Universum is the most recognized Employer Branding specialist in the world. On an annual basis, Universum works with over 2000 universities, alumni groups, and professional organizations across 50 markets to gather insights from students and professionals in order to advise employers on how to attract talent that fits their culture and purpose.

Elon Musk's companies are the most coveted employer among engineering graduates in a recent Universum study. Tesla is #1 on this list, and SpaceX #2. …
https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/employer

From the Tesla Q2 2020 earnings call:
Elon Musk:  “… But it's -- I just want to be clear, at Tesla, we love manufacturing. It's awesome, and I really think more smart people should be working on manufacturing.

… It's actually extremely exciting and fulfilling to design new production systems. And I think that for some reason, [it] kind of got a bad rap, especially in the U.S., for a long time.

And I think people didn't think that manufactured -- they sort of put manufacturing is like, oh, this is for some boring, just making copies, whatever. But actually, there's far more opportunity for innovation in manufacturing than in the products itself, [orders of] magnitude. So like if there's one thing that comes out of this call, it's like, hey, if you want to help us invent amazing, new manufacturing techniques and have input into the product itself, it's not like you just get touch the product and say, hey, make this product, and it's kind of a lousy design. If you're manufacturing, you get to change the product design, and say, hey, this product, you're asking your manufacturers [for is] dumb.

Like, great, let's fix it. So it has -- if you work on manufacturing engineering, but you don't just get force fed a sandwich. You get to change the product design. So it's super exciting.

And we evolve the lines even after they're [built] this rapid evolution of the production system. So --  the long-term sustainable advantage of Tesla, I think, will be manufacturing. …
https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/07/23/tesla-tsla-q2-2020-earnings-call-transcript.aspx

zizek

« Reply #5937 on: August 03, 2020, 09:42:45 PM »
But Tesla is not providing a range of solution. This binary issue is being created by Tesla, not me. Musk wants to replace public transport with private transport. Personal car ownership and the suburban lifestyle is a problem that must be confronted. Building more cars is not sustainable, electric or not......
Made up rubbish of the usual standard from those obsessed with Musk  as the Antichrist.
The pros seldom consider Musk instead are focused on what the company is doing.
Those against almost always end up focusing on  Musk the evil incarnate in virtually every comment they make .

Never heard of self-driven vehicles, and what they will do for transport ?
Guess what happens to private car ownership when you can call up a self driven one for a few cents per mile?
Tony Seba .
https://www.solarquotes.com.au/blog/autonomous-ev-seba/
Tesla is debatably the leading proponent in this technology . Successful implantation will rely on who can crunch the most data .
Think what having  over 750000 connected cars on the road being used in the real world does for the amount of data Tesla has.

Neil may be right ... sock puppet and not worth spending time debating some one proven to be so wrong so often who never acknowledges his repeated failures to project Tesla's future.
blocked......

I had posted the implications of ride-hailing but kassy moved it to another thread. I'd love to see some evidence that self-driving/ride hailing is a solution to reducing emissions.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2051
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #5938 on: August 04, 2020, 08:39:41 AM »
I moved that to #105 in the Public transport thread because none of the articles addressed Tesla.

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2075.msg277930.html#new
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: August 04, 2020, 09:42:44 AM »
Do I really have to explain to you what happens when a large corporation is in direct competition with poorly funded public services?
UMMM .
Free market .
A large corporation can compete with subsidized public transport yet still make a profit  .

And.....

The most efficient use of energy should dictate the winner.
For transport. The energy embedded in providing the service is the major cost of  that service
Therefor.
 If it is cheaper to use ride hailing than  subsidized public transport  it is probably a more efficient use of energy .

What Tesla is proposing is not they own all the units and have a monopoly.
What Tesla is proposing is anyone can own a unit using their technology and rent it out as they see fit.  You too can buy a Tesla with FSD and bet on the future application of the technology if you want and profit from it if that suits your needs .

As already mentioned and not addressed by you .
if a private car is used only 2 % of the time and using FSD enabled ride haling it is used say 20% of the time what happens to the energy embedded in the production of that  unit?
1/10.
It becomes many times  more efficient than a purely private car.
That is on top of already being many times more energy efficient as an ICE car.

Kassy I am still focusing  on Tesla's publicly available intentions with FSD not the subject of public v private transport.

Robert Heinlein.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3588
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #5940 on: August 04, 2020, 11:00:47 AM »
If AI-driven cars become a cheap and efficient taxi alternative, it will be extremely easy to extend the technology to AI-driven vans providing more classic public transport. So Tesla is an enabler and could even launch such a service themselves when it makes sense. But for that they need to figure AI driving first, in enough situations, locations and countries.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5941 on: August 04, 2020, 08:07:14 PM »
Looking Back on a Revolution: Tesla Model 3 Turns Three
Jul 29, 2020
Tesla's Master Plan
In 2006, Tesla CEO Elon Musk posted Tesla's secret master plan online for the world to see.

"So, in short, the master plan is:
Build sports car
Use that money to build an affordable car
Use that money to build an even more affordable car
While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options"

2008: Tesla delivered the first Tesla Roadster. Check.
2012: Tesla delivered the first Model S. Check.
2016: Tesla acquired Solar City. Check.
2017: Tesla delivered the first Model 3. Check.

Project BlueStar
On July 28, 2017—three years ago today—Tesla's decade-long master plan came to fruition when Tesla handed over the first BlueStar, now known as Model 3, vehicles to customers. The goal for BlueStar was clear from the start: drive volume.

"With BlueStar, we're looking at cost and lowering the overall expense to the user. If it's not cost-competitive (with oil), you are going to have a hard time scaling to a high level." - Tesla co-founder JB Straubel to CNET, 2008

While scaling to a high level has not been without challenges, the Model 3 has cemented its revolutionary status by quickly becoming the best-selling electric vehicle in history despite 5-10 year head starts from runners-up.

But it's not just other EVs that the Model 3 has overthrown. In the United States, the Model 3 has outsold competing premium internal combustion engine sedans: the Mercedes C-Class, BMW 3 Series, Audi A4 and S4, Lexus IS, and Jaguar XE. Combined. ...
https://www.thestreet.com/tesla/articles/looking-back-on-a-revolution-tesla-model-3-turns-three

—- China quality study
Ray4️⃣Tesla (@ray4tesla) 8/2/20, 12:57 PM
JUST IN: CheZhiWang, Automobile quality complaint data collecting site in China , finds in Q2, Model 3 is the least complained car w/ 0.7 complaint/10k cars, topping all 37 other models foreign or domestic. This is the 1st time Model 3 ranks top spot in the findings.
https://twitter.com/ray4tesla/status/1289968526640287746
~ BYD Qin (PHEV) ranks 4th to the last with 33.3 complaints per every 10k vehicles.
~ Chinese brand Aion S is the only pure EV brand other than Model 3 on the list I can find. It ranks the 8th with 8.1 complaints per every 10k vehicles.
  [ List (mostly in Chinese) at the link.]

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5942 on: August 05, 2020, 10:42:44 PM »
It has gone fairly quiet on the Giga Shanghai front but this new video is worth watching.  If only to see how the entire site is transitioning to a fully completed manufacturing site rather than a building site with a construction site attached.

Robert A. Heinlein

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5943 on: August 05, 2020, 10:53:37 PM »
Looking at the latest Giga Berlin movie several things strike me.

All the materials are very neatly laid out so they can be picked up and placed very quickly.  All is ordered and all is clearly very under control.  Contrast the total mayhem on the site in Shanghai.

But then the other thing which strikes is that Shanghai had about 10 times as many cranes working onsite.  It will be interesting to see how that plays out.  Clearly the railhead has helped a lot in moving materials in and out.

Then there are the sheer lack of people working on the site.  Shanghai was literally crawling with people day and night.

It will be very interesting to see jus how it plays out in terms of construction time.  Personally I think the number of people working on site will, eventually, tip the time balance against Berlin.  In China, clearly, they solved every challenge with sheer numbers of bodies.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5944 on: August 10, 2020, 07:15:19 PM »
Elon Musk (@elonmusk) 8/7/20, 1:12 PM
Good piece on Giga Berlin construction
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1291784200178159616
Tesla Giga Berlin's First prefabricated Wall and August Update - YouTube

—-Dynamic Brake Lights are finally available in the U.S.
(A quick search suggests BMWs & motorcycles have had this for a while, but they are otherwise rare in the U.S.)
Tesla 2020.32.1 OTA Software Update With Dynamic Brake Lights, Suspension Improvements & More
From yesterday, Tesla officially started to roll out the 2020.32.1 OTA software update to some owners in the US.
What's new in this update:
Dynamic Brake Lights
If you are driving over 50 km/h (31 mph) and brake forcefully, the brake lights will now flash quickly to warn other drivers that your car is rapidly slowing down. If your car stops completely, the hazard warning lights will flash until you press the accelerator or manually press the hazard warning lights button to turn them off. …
https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/tesla-2020-32-1-ota-software-update-with-dynamic-brake-lights-suspension-improvements-more

—- Improving Tesla traffic display visualization
< Hey Elon will Cybertruck have a custom model in the autopilot visualization?  Rendering as a normal truck seems inappropriate...
 Elon Musk (@elonmusk) 7/30/20, 2:39 AM
Yeah. Display will also soon render Teslas specifically as their model & color instead of as a generic sedan/SUV. Has potential for a fun punch buggy sort of game.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1288725893259698176

[Tesla hacker “green” found some code:]
green (@greentheonly) 8/9/20, 12:59 PM
It looks like Tesla is planning (already doing?) display of (recognized) Tesla cars on autopilot cars visualization as such. Keep your eye on it?
Also no models yet but coming later:  Ambulance, Fire truck, Police car and "construction"
https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1292505897420427269
Image at the link.
< Pretty big neural network advancement from “minivan” or “not mini van”
Green: I am more interested in model 3 vs. model Y tell apart rate ;)

—- Thread by @ReflexFunds (rolled into one page at the link):
Some thoughts on Tesla’s Autopilot & Robotaxi strategy:
1) I believe Tesla has a unique & superior strategy for solving Robotaxis which I categorise as the Intelligence/Data heavy approach, based on the assumption that Robotaxis are a very difficult intelligence problem to solve.
2) This is opposed to the approach of the rest of the industry which I would categorise as hardware heavy, Intelligence/data light which is based on the assumption that self driving is a relatively easy intelligence problem. I’ll explain this more later.

A: When solving Robotaxis, prediction is the hard problem – it requires a lot of intelligence and experience. Detection is easier.
B. Hence our strategy should be optimised to solving prediction, not detection.
12) C. To solve prediction of other objects paths we need billions of miles of real world driving experience to train the cars to understand the universe it is interacting with and to be able to solve enough edge cases to beat human driving accuracy by 2-10x.
13) D) We can't get billions of miles of driving experience without a hardware suite affordable to install in a consumer owned car.
E)Lidar won't be cheap enough to install in a high volume consumer car in a reasonable timeframe (& also has issues with rain & lidar interference)
14) F). Therefore we cannot use Lidar, even though it is a shortcut to solving the detection problem because it can easily measure distance and velocity of objects with hardware rather than software & intelligence. …
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1292186746764038145.html

Whole Mars Catalog (@WholeMarsBlog) 8/9/20, 3:02 PM
These days Autopilot makes detecting stop signs and traffic lights look easy — but it’s not.
Any bets on how long it will take legacy auto to replicate Tesla’s data engine?
https://twitter.com/wholemarsblog/status/1292536861387194369
Video at the link: Andrej Karpathy presentation clip,  ~2 minutes.  All stop signs are not the same….

—- When might Tesla see its inclusion to the S&P 500? 
Rob Maurer looks at data of other companies which have been added since 2017, to give us historical timing benchmarks.
When Will Tesla Be Added to the S&P 500? (TSLA Stock) - YouTube

➡️https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vESXdmRZFTU

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: August 10, 2020, 10:10:39 PM »
A while back I used a somewhat different analogy (although one which might be easier to understand).

The rest of the industry is using a smart chimp.  Loads of input and a very simple set of decisions for a simple set of scenario's.  The chimp isn't ever getting much smarter but can get better input and a few more scenario's.

Tesla is treating FSD like a child learning to drive.  In essence the AI is a robotic child and they are teaching that child to drive.  Last year the child was 2, today the child is around 10, next year it could very easily be a full adult.

As we know, children can't process the constant stream of data coming in from driving very well.  They have to learn what it all means and what to do whilst driving.  Eventually they either learn as a child or they grow up and become able to process more information and decisions.  It might take 3-4 years to teach a young child to drive, but an adult can learn in a week (I know the Army put total non drivers through their goods vehicle and passenger car in one week).

The thing we know about AI is the ability to learn once the matrix has been set out for them.  For Tesla that matrix is "feature complete".  After that it starts as data then it becomes using that data to learn real world driving.

I think the author is correct but is phrasing it in a very narrow technical way.  Reality is much broader and far more important.  With enough data Tesla could go from feature complete to fully level 5 in a month.  That is how AI works.

It is going to be extremely interesting to watch.

Robert A. Heinlein

Yuha

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #5946 on: August 11, 2020, 07:31:59 PM »
—- Thread by @ReflexFunds (rolled into one page at the link):
Some thoughts on Tesla’s Autopilot & Robotaxi strategy:
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1292186746764038145.html

Here are follow up threads by @ReflexFunds:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1292887757879222272.html
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1292891381229379585.html

This is a very nice overview of Tesla's Autopilot status. 

One detail missing is Project Dojo which is a new chip for training neural nets. Neural net training is computationally very demanding and currently done on GPUs (the HW3 chip is not suitable for training). The new chip is probably around an order of magnitude more efficient than a GPU enabling faster training and thus faster iteration. Project Dojo is expected to deploy late this year or early next year.

In summary, we can expect fast progress with Autopilot starting later this year when the new 4D architecture arrives followed by continuous improvements (the march of 9s) next year. Whether this is enough for full FSD remains to be seen, but we should be much wiser a year from now.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5947 on: August 12, 2020, 01:03:46 AM »
Tesla (TSLA) declares five-for-one stock split

Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) has announced that its Board of Directors has approved a 5:1 split for the company’s common stock in the form of a dividend. The move will make the ownership of TSLA stock more available for both employees and investors alike.

The electric automaker stated that each stockholder of record on August 21, 2020, will receive a dividend of four additional shares of common stock for each share that the investor held on that date. It will be distributed after the closing bell on August 28, 2020.
Trading will then begin on a stock split-adjusted basis on the following trading day, which is Monday, August 31.

Stock splits, or stock divides, are used to increase the number of shares in a company. The act of splitting a stock will decrease the market price of individual shares, but it will not affect the total market capitalization of the company that chooses to perform the split.
The move could help smaller investors afford TSLA stock, which has tripled in value since the beginning of the year.

TSLA stock closed at $1,374.39 today, but aftermarket trading has brought the price of the stock back up by nearly 6%. At the time of writing, the stock was being traded at $1,453.55. ...
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-tsla-five-for-one-stock-split/amp/

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: August 12, 2020, 04:05:07 PM »
Elon Musk Splits Stock, Makes Tesla's Case to Join Dow Jones
Until Tuesday, there was one seemingly insurmountable obstacle that would have made Tesla getting into the Dow Jones Industrials impossible. Its stock price of nearly $1,400 per share as of the Aug. 11 close would've made it an impractical choice to join the price-weighted average, because its influence over the entire Dow Jones Industrials would've been unjustifiably high. Even now, the fact that Apple has a nearly 11% weighting in the Dow is somewhat controversial, and that's with Apple's share price of just $450. The idea of having Tesla represent 30% was a complete nonstarter.

Yet Musk surprised just about everyone by doing something that Tesla has never done before: splitting its stock. It announced a 5-for-1 split for owners of record on Aug. 21, with shares to start trading on a split-adjusted basis a week and a half later on Aug. 31.

To be clear, Tesla's board of directors didn't explicitly say it's trying to join the Dow. In its press release, the company cited the desire to "make stock ownership more accessible to employees and investors." Yet with the advent of fractional share trading, that's an increasingly difficult argument to make. ...
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/08/12/elon-musk-splits-stock-teslas-case-dow-jones/

Notes:
Dow Jones vs. NASDAQ vs. S&P 500: The Differences
https://primexbt.com/blog/dow-jones-vs-nasdaq-vs-sp500/

The Dow Jones Industrial Average is a price-weighted average of 30 significant stocks traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and the Nasdaq. The DJIA was invented by Charles Dow in 1896.

Can Stocks Be Traded on More Than One Exchange?
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/05/stockmultipleexchanges.asp
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 04:16:18 PM by Sigmetnow »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5949 on: August 13, 2020, 03:20:38 PM »
If you don't think we are being manipulated by search engines try searching for Tesla news on google and yahoo.

Vive le difference...
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)