Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Ocean salinity, temperature and waves  (Read 26415 times)

johnm33

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Arctic Ocean salinity, temperature and waves
« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2019, 01:17:57 PM »
Looking at 156/7/8 animations some of the things I'm suggesting already seem to be there, just couldn't see them til' I looked for them. What I was particularly interested in was the increasing Atlantification of the shelf waters in Laptev through ESS, it appears the saline Atlantic waters are stopping the Siberian freshwater from entering the Arctic in it's accustomed way and that it is only entering much further east, where the inflow from Bering is being forced west and mixes with it. Thus the 'ridge' of thick ice being formed further east one could say at the confluence of the gyre and the incoming Atlantic stream. That may be responsible for the increasing depth of the 'Pacific' layer.
 The more or less random pulses of Atlantic waters coming through Fram on their way to Nares is there to be seen too, as is the flow which is likely generating the gyres which are dropping into Beaufort and Atlantifying it's basal waters.
I don't know if the Davis Strait array is functioning or if/when the data is accessible, I guess an alternative would be a record of expected and actual tides from somewhere on Baffin Island to give some clue about how much fresh-water is escaping. Higher low tides = more imho.
I'm beginning to think I must have upset a Chinaman, interesting times.

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 339
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2019, 06:49:06 PM »
posting here for smaller readership as it may be rubbish. Worldview, terra/modis nares, mar23-24.
Can I see waves? click on image to run.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 07:30:59 PM by uniquorn »

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2019, 10:48:14 PM »
What I was particularly interested in was the increasing Atlantification of the shelf waters in Laptev through ESS<snippage>
I think I see evidence of the Atlantic in the Laptev and maybe that is not helping the thin wind driven ice north of the Anzhu islands. All should become clearer over the next few weeks.
Worldview terra/modis ess/laptev mar16-24

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Today at 02:26:04 PM »
I couldn't find any recent data for the Davis Strait array. Does anyone reading have access?