Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Ocean salinity, temperature and waves  (Read 28658 times)

johnm33

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 14
Re: Arctic Ocean salinity, temperature and waves
« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2019, 01:17:57 PM »
Looking at 156/7/8 animations some of the things I'm suggesting already seem to be there, just couldn't see them til' I looked for them. What I was particularly interested in was the increasing Atlantification of the shelf waters in Laptev through ESS, it appears the saline Atlantic waters are stopping the Siberian freshwater from entering the Arctic in it's accustomed way and that it is only entering much further east, where the inflow from Bering is being forced west and mixes with it. Thus the 'ridge' of thick ice being formed further east one could say at the confluence of the gyre and the incoming Atlantic stream. That may be responsible for the increasing depth of the 'Pacific' layer.
 The more or less random pulses of Atlantic waters coming through Fram on their way to Nares is there to be seen too, as is the flow which is likely generating the gyres which are dropping into Beaufort and Atlantifying it's basal waters.
I don't know if the Davis Strait array is functioning or if/when the data is accessible, I guess an alternative would be a record of expected and actual tides from somewhere on Baffin Island to give some clue about how much fresh-water is escaping. Higher low tides = more imho.
I'm beginning to think I must have upset a Chinaman, interesting times.

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 381
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2019, 06:49:06 PM »
posting here for smaller readership as it may be rubbish. Worldview, terra/modis nares, mar23-24.
Can I see waves? click on image to run.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 07:30:59 PM by uniquorn »

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2019, 10:48:14 PM »
What I was particularly interested in was the increasing Atlantification of the shelf waters in Laptev through ESS<snippage>
I think I see evidence of the Atlantic in the Laptev and maybe that is not helping the thin wind driven ice north of the Anzhu islands. All should become clearer over the next few weeks.
Worldview terra/modis ess/laptev mar16-24

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »
I couldn't find any recent data for the Davis Strait array. Does anyone reading have access?

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2019, 12:56:07 PM »
Comparison of whoi itp89 and 110 with drift speed and buoy temperature. Their drifts cover a similar path east of the Mclure Strait and the profiles show the tenperature difference at 50-100m between 2016 and 2019 (different months though, I think). edit: note salinity below 400m
itp89 is still stalwartly reporting buoy temperature despite spending 2 winters iced up in the Mclure strait then Viscount Melville Sound. The profiler is was only changing depth a few metres per day when it stopped profiling in 2016, similar to itp107 but perhaps it will drift back into the main channel when melt starts. Buoy temperature is a handy 'on the ground' reference. http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=148096

worldview terra modis mar26. x marks the spot, rough location of itp89

edit: On another note itp103,4 and 5 all still heading north east against the annual ice drift
edit2: all profiling from itp89 stopped day250 2016
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:57:29 PM by uniquorn »

johnm33

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2019, 10:54:15 AM »
Had to check the depth in McLure it barely goes deeper than 400m, it's interesting that the outflow seems to be from the upper layers. http://elevation.maplogs.com/poi/sachs_harbour_nt_canada.437131.html best full screen and zoom out a little.
OT but I'd never really noticed how smooth some of the otherwise rugged looking coasts were in the CAA, makes me think very soft rocks or more likely yedoma. The steepness of the drops offshore are remarkable too.
added, for elevation click on the point of interest, +doesn't work for me now either.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 04:42:41 PM by johnm33 »

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2019, 03:14:37 PM »
Elevations didn't work for me from maplogs.com but it was interesting to see the coastline without the ice.
Decided that I'd ignored sea surface height for long enough. Here is mercator's model from jan2018-mar2019.

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 04, 2019, 10:37:16 PM »
mercator 34m salinity overlaid onto ascat, jan2018-apr3(2019) as a rough guide to arctic atlantipacification.
The stutters are due to missing ascat data, nearest days have been duplicated. The mercator scale is not really relevant as the overlay changes the hues but red is saltier than blue. Using 34m salinity here as 0m tends to change rapidly with ice melt and hides the underlying currents.
Ascat swaths leave rotating data gaps at the periphery, summer and seas are a swirl of 'weather' so once again, hazard warning.

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 06, 2019, 01:48:18 PM »
It seems that Pacification is really happening right now, in front of our eyes.

I think we know that Nino events can , via Kelvin waves, push warm surface waters up the U.S. coast and into the basin via Bering?

Now we are in a low grade nino event but no big Kelvin waves have really had impact but we should remember the state of the Interdecadal Pacific oscillation since 2014?

Since 2014 this natural forcing has been in its positive state. This means that, over its area of influence , warmed surface waters are present ( instead of being buried in the upper ocean?) .Will this mean twenty odd years of ever warmer surface waters pushing in from the Pacific side of the basin?

It's early days but maybe we have left it long enough to expect more melt over the Pacific side as Pacific ocean currents begin to deliver these warmed surface waters ?
Not familiar with PDO. I hope Gray-Wolf doesn't mind the repost here for reference.
From NOAA https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/teleconnections/pdo/
The Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) is often described as a long-lived El Niño-like pattern of Pacific climate variability (Zhang et al. 1997). As seen with the better-known El Niño/Southern Oscillation (ENSO), extremes in the PDO pattern are marked by widespread variations in the Pacific Basin and the North American climate. In parallel with the ENSO phenomenon, the extreme phases of the PDO have been classified as being either warm or cool, as defined by ocean temperature anomalies in the northeast and tropical Pacific Ocean. When SSTs are anomalously cool in the interior North Pacific and warm along the Pacific Coast, and when sea level pressures are below average over the North Pacific, the PDO has a positive value. When the climate anomaly patterns are reversed, with warm SST anomalies in the interior and cool SST anomalies along the North American coast, or above average sea level pressures over the North Pacific, the PDO has a negative value (Courtesy of Mantua, 1999

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 08, 2019, 12:39:23 AM »
melt pond testing. Clouds are there...

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 09, 2019, 07:11:05 PM »
Following up on this post:
Crackification on the Atlantic side continues.
ascat resolution doesn't really pick up the fracture in the thicker ice but it shows clearly in the darker area north of laptev on day91 with more fractures further south in the following days. The wind across the laptev changed 3 days ago so probably not related. The southerly fractures fit well with the bathymetry though.
ascat day85-98 forward and back.
ascat day98 with NOAA bathymetry map overlaid.

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 10, 2019, 12:01:23 AM »
update on polarportal.dk ice surface temperature, feb1-apr8

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 10, 2019, 01:16:59 AM »
cs2smos merged sit, mar-apr7 for reference (not fixed scale, will look at that. Limited panoply skills)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 01:25:03 AM by uniquorn »

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 11, 2019, 11:56:58 AM »
update on the laptev lomonosov fractures
ascat day89-100, forward and back.
worldview terra modis, high contrast, apr7-11, ascat apr7-10 inset.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 12:46:06 PM by uniquorn »

be cause

• ASIF Citizen
  • Citizenship .. a Lurker gets asylum
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #214 on: April 11, 2019, 12:50:06 PM »
we could do with a plug for the .. but Ill not go there .. :) .. b.c.
be the cause of only good
and love all beings as you should
and the 'God' of all Creation
will .. through you .. transform all nations :)

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2019, 11:18:18 PM »
A comparison of mercator(model) 318m salinity, feb1-apr13, 2018 and 2019. The reason this thread was started.

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2019, 09:43:24 PM »
reposting comparison of bering to laptev mercator(model) 0m salinity, feb1-apr13, 2018 and 2019 for reference. Note high salinity in southern laptev.

uniquorn

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2019, 11:37:37 PM »
The good people at the woods hole oceanographic institution are once again posting active itp buoy data. This animation only showing those with full depth profiles.
https://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=163196