Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The problem of Corporate Democrats and how to kick them out  (Read 261934 times)

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 410
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: The problem of Corporate Democrats and how to kick them out
« Reply #2050 on: January 16, 2021, 04:52:45 PM »
Hedges on Dore:

"We should have walked out on the Democratic party in 1994 after NAFTA and stood by the working class. And we didn't. And they know it."

"the bank is boarded up ... church caught on fire and burned ... just charred embers ... methamphetamine labs ... that's what we've done, that's what the democratic party has done, and the self identified liberal class has done and that's why they hate us and frankly we deserve to be hated"

NAFTA is a convenient whipping boy for America's ills, but I don't think economic analyses really support the blame. 

NAFTA’s Impact on the U.S. Economy: What Are the Facts?

"Two decades ago, when NAFTA was born, China had only a faint presence in the global economy, and was not yet even a member of the World Trade Organization. However, the share of U.S. spending on Chinese goods rose nearly eight-fold between 1991 and 2007. By 2015, U.S. trade in goods and services with China totaled $659 billion— with the U.S. importing $336 billion more than it exported. China has become the U.S.’s top trading partner for goods — a development never anticipated at the signing of NAFTA. And yet, NAFTA continues to attract the lion’s share of the blame among U.S. critics of globalization, despite the fact that the U.S. and China have yet to sign any bilateral free-trade treaty.

"The long-run increase in manufacturing employment in Mexico (about 400,000 jobs) was small and disappointing, while U.S. manufacturing plummeted by 5 million — but more because of Chinese imports than imports from Mexico. In both Mexico and the United States, real wages have stagnated while productivity has continued to increase, leading to higher profit shares and a tendency toward greater inequality.”

"The long-run increase in manufacturing employment in Mexico (about 400,000 jobs) was small and disappointing, while U.S. manufacturing plummeted by 5 million — but more because of Chinese imports than imports from Mexico."

I think NAFTA had little influence on the problems of the rust belt.  Far more blame belongs with changes in tax policy.  Lowering taxes on the wealthy has starved the nation of public investments, while directly exacerbating wealth and income inequality.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1140
  • Likes Given: 546
« Reply #2051 on: January 16, 2021, 05:10:08 PM »
The point is that NAFTA symbolized the betrayal of the working class by the Democratic Party. Hedges argues that supporters should have walked out on the Democratic Party there and then, but didn't. #Forcethevote has shown that nothing much has changed in this respect, and the way the 'Squad' has handled that, is nothing but a slap in the face of progressives. And so Corporate Democrats remain the biggest hurdle to solutions in the US, and thus the planet at large.

Stay on-topic or open a NAFTA thread.
Il faut comparer, comparer, comparer, et cultiver notre jardin

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4032
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #2052 on: January 16, 2021, 08:01:10 PM »
headline from Bloomberg news

Amazon, Uber Among New Corporate Donors to Biden Inauguration

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 815
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2053 on: February 04, 2021, 08:24:53 AM »
America's Finest News Source: Sympathy for DiFi

"Todd Michaels, a lobbyist for Kaiser Permanente, reportedly teared up Tuesday after realizing that Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) no longer recognized his face"

" it’s absolutely devastating seeing her cognitive function dip like this"

"now she can’t even differentiate me from a lobbyist for Google or Pacific Gas & Electric"

"Michaels vowed that despite the difficulty he would remain by Feinstein’s side for years or even decades to come."

https://politics.theonion.com/health-insurance-lobbyist-tears-up-after-realizing-dian-1846181679

sidd

LeftyLarry

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2054 on: February 04, 2021, 06:53:42 PM »
Hedges on Dore:

"We should have walked out on the Democratic party in 1994 after NAFTA and stood by the working class. And we didn't. And they know it."

"the bank is boarded up ... church caught on fire and burned ... just charred embers ... methamphetamine labs ... that's what we've done, that's what the democratic party has done, and the self identified liberal class has done and that's why they hate us and frankly we deserve to be hated"

NAFTA is a convenient whipping boy for America's ills, but I don't think economic analyses really support the blame. 

NAFTA’s Impact on the U.S. Economy: What Are the Facts?

"Two decades ago, when NAFTA was born, China had only a faint presence in the global economy, and was not yet even a member of the World Trade Organization. However, the share of U.S. spending on Chinese goods rose nearly eight-fold between 1991 and 2007. By 2015, U.S. trade in goods and services with China totaled $659 billion— with the U.S. importing $336 billion more than it exported. China has become the U.S.’s top trading partner for goods — a development never anticipated at the signing of NAFTA. And yet, NAFTA continues to attract the lion’s share of the blame among U.S. critics of globalization, despite the fact that the U.S. and China have yet to sign any bilateral free-trade treaty.

"The long-run increase in manufacturing employment in Mexico (about 400,000 jobs) was small and disappointing, while U.S. manufacturing plummeted by 5 million — but more because of Chinese imports than imports from Mexico. In both Mexico and the United States, real wages have stagnated while productivity has continued to increase, leading to higher profit shares and a tendency toward greater inequality.”

"The long-run increase in manufacturing employment in Mexico (about 400,000 jobs) was small and disappointing, while U.S. manufacturing plummeted by 5 million — but more because of Chinese imports than imports from Mexico."

I think NAFTA had little influence on the problems of the rust belt.  Far more blame belongs with changes in tax policy.  Lowering taxes on the wealthy has starved the nation of public investments, while directly exacerbating wealth and income inequality.

I don’t know if you were there or not but I can tell you from first hand knowledge that I , then working as a Real Estate Consultant/ Broker and Acquistions expert represented dozens upon dozens  of large corporations in moving their manufacturing out of the U.S. and into Mexico because they could not have remained competitive if they hadn’t .
I mean I am just one person and I assisted in the sale of millions upon millions of sq/ft of Industrial buildings ,where many thousands of blue collar employees lost their higher paying jobs as a direct result of NAFTA.
It’s not even a question that before NAFTA there was a Balance.
The Republicans voted in the best interests of Capital and the Democrats defended labor.
When the scales tipped to far to one side or the other, the American people voted to balance it out.
After the Clinton Administration came in ,  the balance no longer existed.
The Republicans continued to support Capital but the Clintons prioritized the Third World over American workers.
That’s why the balance was upset which leads to a totally different conversation and explains why lifelong, blue collar voters left the Democrat party to support Donald Trump .
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 07:06:25 PM by LeftyLarry »

nadir

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2055 on: March 12, 2021, 08:51:50 PM »
Things that happen that corporate Dems and their propaganda branches will avoid to let you know...