Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Elections 2020 USA  (Read 50650 times)

Iain

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 59
  • Likes Given: 31
Re: Elections 2020 USA
« Reply #850 on: November 06, 2020, 06:14:04 PM »
Well, thank goodness for that

From this side of the pond, we had a hard time understanding why DT became POTUS in the first place, also why it was so close in the 2020 election.

BTW the downfall parody in #844 is hilarious

But seriously, will Biden be able to progress the transition to renewables with a Republican Senate?
"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton

WildFit

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #851 on: November 06, 2020, 06:34:30 PM »
Another factor is realpolitik.
I came this close to writing in Brian Carroll. If the race were not nose to nose, or if Brian Carroll had a chance to be as big as Ross Perot, I would have. But this race is really between Trump and Biden and I have to take into account one or the other of these two will win, and my vote just might decide it.
If you wanted to vote for Howie Hawkins but voted for Biden instead, I think you know how I feel.

So you can add promoting overpopulation that is exatly the very basic issue at hand that plays a key role in almost any greater issue of our civilization.

This is not the first of your statements that somehow let us glimps behind the facade BTW.

Kind of inconsequent, biased and self-centere paired with a tendency to promote anything looking and sounding nice without really backing them.

The obvious urge to make yourself prominent from day one goes into the same direction a little trumpy indeed and believe me, I've been thinking that way before election day.

There are precise words for the kind that I won't write them to keep things civil.

The Walrus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #852 on: November 06, 2020, 06:58:56 PM »
My solution to the Electoral College 'problem' (problem for liberals, anyway) is to increase the size of the House of Representatives by 1/3 (leaving 5 states with 1 Representative - this was 'calculated' by making the smallest state's population the basis for each Rep.).  This would dilute the 'over representation' of the smallest state from a factor of 3.8 to just under 3 over the largest state.  (Doubling the size of the House would bring this factor to nearly 2.5.) 

Despite the (apparently) slavery-influenced formula for determining how the U.S. president is elected, I appreciate that small states have 'extra' leverage towards determining who the president is.  We have a 'federal' government, after all.

Congress (with the support of the President), by the way, determines the size of the House of Representatives, last changed (I think) in 1911.  Each state's delegation size is determine by the Constitution-mandated Census.

Why not allocate the electoral votes by Congressional and Senatorial districts per Maine and Nebraska?  For those unfamiliar with this approach, the winner of each Congressional gets that one vote and the statewide winner would get two.  That is how Trump got 1 electoral vote in Maine and Biden got 1 in Nebraska. 

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 669
  • Likes Given: 491
« Reply #853 on: November 06, 2020, 07:02:58 PM »
The Decision Desk has called the election.

Who is the Decision Desk HQ?
Finnigan told Smith that he first got interested in election forecasting because he was frustrated by the networks’ slowness to call the presidential race for George W. Bush in 2004. (In the networks’ defense, they were obviously going to be skittish after wrongly calling Florida for Al Gore in 2000.) Per BuzzFeed, Finnigan “started the informal ‘Ace of Spades Headquarters Decision Desk’ in 2012,” but it wasn’t until 2014 that “his team began to really take on the AP at its own game: not just projecting elections based on public results, but also calling county offices directly to feed the tallies into a spreadsheet.”

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 07:59:09 PM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3949
« Reply #854 on: November 06, 2020, 07:18:27 PM »
But seriously, will Biden be able to progress the transition to renewables with a Republican Senate?
Firstly Obama & then Trump realised and used the presidential power of Executive Orders to great effect.

Indeed many pundits believe that far too much power has been given to the Executive branch.

He can also do a lot by just not getting in the way of the State, City and County Governments that push ahead the renewable energy agenda, and the veto plus executive orders can stop much of the support for the fossil fuel industries.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 400
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #855 on: November 06, 2020, 10:30:09 PM »

Why not allocate the electoral votes by Congressional and Senatorial districts per Maine and Nebraska?  For those unfamiliar with this approach, the winner of each Congressional gets that one vote and the statewide winner would get two.  That is how Trump got 1 electoral vote in Maine and Biden got 1 in Nebraska.

Well, yes, that would be best for the nation.  But each state has the opposite interest.  Winner take all maximizes the influence of the state.  Thus, politicians pay more attention to those states.

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
  • Earth will survive AGW...but will Homo sapiens?
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 630
  • Likes Given: 559
« Reply #856 on: November 06, 2020, 10:37:55 PM »
Another factor is realpolitik.
I came this close to writing in Brian Carroll. If the race were not nose to nose, or if Brian Carroll had a chance to be as big as Ross Perot, I would have. But this race is really between Trump and Biden and I have to take into account one or the other of these two will win, and my vote just might decide it.
If you wanted to vote for Howie Hawkins but voted for Biden instead, I think you know how I feel.

So you can add promoting overpopulation that is exatly the very basic issue at hand that plays a key role in almost any greater issue of our civilization.

This is not the first of your statements that somehow let us glimps behind the facade BTW.

Kind of inconsequent, biased and self-centere paired with a tendency to promote anything looking and sounding nice without really backing them.

The obvious urge to make yourself prominent from day one goes into the same direction a little trumpy indeed and believe me, I've been thinking that way before election day.

There are precise words for the kind that I won't write them to keep things civil.
A rather semicoherent diatribe.
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #857 on: November 07, 2020, 12:26:19 AM »
Why Did Biden Win A Disproportionate Share of the Close Contests?
https://ronconte.com/2020/11/06/why-did-biden-win-a-disproportionate-share-of-the-close-contests/
For some reason that is clear from the numbers, and unclear from the situation, Republicans rarely win a State when the voting margin is 8% or less. They have to win by an overwhelming majority, or else their odds of winning plummet — for no good reason.
The only answer that would explain this data is that the Democrats are able to increase their votes in any State where things are close, and Republicans are not able. How are they doing this? Maybe it's some kind of clever get-out-the-vote strategy.
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Sciguy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 199
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #858 on: November 07, 2020, 01:36:05 AM »
Firstly Obama & then Trump realised and used the presidential power of Executive Orders to great effect.

Indeed many pundits believe that far too much power has been given to the Executive branch.

He can also do a lot by just not getting in the way of the State, City and County Governments that push ahead the renewable energy agenda, and the veto plus executive orders can stop much of the support for the fossil fuel industries.

The short answer is yes, President-Elect Biden can do a lot by Executive Order and by appointing competent people to run the Federal agencies and enforce existing laws.  Carbon Dioxide has been classified as a pollutant and that fact has been legislated all the way through the Supreme Court.  So a sitting President who actually enforces the laws can accomplish a lot.

Subsidies for fossil fuels and renewables are buried in tax codes and Federal Budgets.  Tax legislation and the Federal Budgets are drafted by the House of Representatives and then voted on by the Senate, where they can be changed.  Differences between the House and Senate are resolved by committees. 

Democrats control the House and are close in the Senate.  While they can't push through sweeping changes, they can do a lot.  Even under the current Administration and Senate, many research projects to improve the grid and fund renewables were awarded.  With control of the House and the need to approve budgets, a lot can still be done. 

Everyone recognizes the need for another stimulus package to recover from the Covid pandemic.  A lot of money will be directed toward new electric vehicle charging stations along the Interstate Highway system, improving energy efficiency in Federal Buildings, putting out of work oil workers back to work plugging leaking oil wells, and installing solar panels on military bases and other Federal facilities.  There will probably be mandates for Federal agencies to purchase a certain number of electric vehicles as well. The Departments of Agriculture and Interior can fund programs to renew soils, replant forests and improve land use to sequester carbon.  Harassment of Government scientists will stop and research reports wont be suppressed.

We will be much better off in 2021 then we have been for the past four years.

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #859 on: November 07, 2020, 03:32:59 AM »
How much?
I seem to remember President-elect Obama announcing 'this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal'.
They have only accelerated in the last twelve years.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 04:49:00 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

vox_mundi

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2605
  • Likes Given: 387
« Reply #860 on: November 07, 2020, 05:37:43 PM »
We Have a Winner!!!

The Associated Press declares Joe Biden the winner of a grueling campaign for the American presidency. He will lead a polarized nation through a historic collision of health, economic and social crises.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AP/status/1325112826072084480

The #APracecall declaring Joe Biden’s win over President Trump came after @AP
 called Pennsylvania and its 20 electoral votes for Biden.

The victory for Biden, a former vice president who has spent nearly a half-century in public office, was also a repudiation of Trump, who has led the nation through a deeply divisive four years.

Kamala Harris made history as the first Black woman to become vice president. The California senator, who is also the first person of South Asian descent elected VP, will become the highest-ranking woman ever to serve in government.

President Trump is now the first incumbent president to lose reelection since George H.W. Bush in 1992. #Election2020

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - 1975

-------------------------------------------

Rupert Murdoch-Owned US Outlets Turn On Trump
https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/07/rupert-murdoch-owned-us-outlets-turn-on-trump-urging-him-to-concede-with-grace

Fox News, Wall Street Journal and New York Post all show stark change of tone as their former champion faces ‘presidential endgame

----------------------------------------------

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1325114878307295232
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 06:45:38 PM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Paddy

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #861 on: November 07, 2020, 06:30:11 PM »
Just been out to buy champagne. We don't get much to celebrate these days, so I'll take what chance I get.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 07, 2020, 07:20:35 PM »
Catastrophe has been merely postponed.
It was not the democrats that killed the beast, it was covid.

A bunch of business friendly Corporate Democrats may well seed the rise of Trump Mark II - who may well use the same script but be better at obtaining power and, more importantly, keeping it..

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #863 on: November 07, 2020, 07:38:15 PM »
 sorry Tom .. post removed
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 09:22:00 PM by be cause »

KiwiGriff

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 448
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #864 on: November 07, 2020, 08:29:27 PM »
 cheers KiwiGriff .. removed Tom's post and thus yours was rendered unnecessary . b.c.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 11:47:45 PM by be cause »
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 641
  • Likes Given: 510
« Reply #865 on: November 07, 2020, 09:24:38 PM »
I am delighted to see happy faces on the streets of the USA again .. b.c.
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 + 2 = 2021 + 1 =  ' if only we could have seen it coming ' ...

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 07, 2020, 09:53:33 PM »
Celebration is justified, but beware idiot headlines like this one from the Guardian

Biden's win marks the end of Trump's war on democracy and truth

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #867 on: November 07, 2020, 09:57:07 PM »
Actually you just see different happy faces. Half the faces are angry...the faces that had been happy for the last four years.

vox_mundi

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 07, 2020, 10:59:43 PM »

“Our long national nightmare is over”

Today is a good day.
It’s easier to be a parent this morning.
Character MATTERS.
Being a good person MATTERS.
This is a big deal.

It’s easy to do it the cheap way and get away with stuff — but it comes back around.

Today is a good day.

Video at link
https://twitter.com/VanJones68/status/1325119093834469378
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 07, 2020, 11:50:07 PM »
Actually you just see different happy faces. Half the faces are angry...the faces that had been happy for the last four years.

.. naw Tom .. they were mostly angry or gloating .. Trumpites didn't seem to do happy ..
2007 + 5 = 2012 + 4 = 2016 + 3 = 2019 + 2 = 2021 + 1 =  ' if only we could have seen it coming ' ...

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #870 on: November 08, 2020, 01:29:31 AM »
I read somewhere that the Dems picked up a lot of white male votes (compared to 2016) and actually lost a little among other demographics.
Is this so?

vox_mundi

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 08, 2020, 01:32:06 AM »
From America's most respected news source ...

‘You Have Disappointed Me,’ Trump Tells Room Full Of Supporters While Strapping On Gas Mask
https://politics.theonion.com/you-have-disappointed-me-trump-tells-room-full-of-su-1845533067

Crying Eric Trump Asks Father If They Poor Now
https://www.theonion.com/crying-eric-trump-asks-father-if-they-poor-now-1845595787

interstitial

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 270
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #872 on: November 08, 2020, 01:46:24 AM »
I seem to remember President-elect Obama announcing that the seas would now stop rising.

Better off is relative. Now that he is elected we can start complaining about him not doing enough. Biden is not really a champion of environmental causes. Just replacing the top leaders of various government departmants such as the epa with people who aren't actively trying to destroy the department will help. Truthfully it will take some time to replace people driven out. Probably more than 4 years.

The Walrus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 08, 2020, 02:14:36 PM »

Who knows?  Anything can happen in four years.

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #874 on: November 08, 2020, 03:38:25 PM »
Are there any shenanigans that Trump/the GOP could play with the electoral college before December 14?

vox_mundi

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 08, 2020, 03:53:23 PM »
Mary Trump On the End of Uncle Donald: All He Has Now Is 'Breaking Things'
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/08/mary-trump-on-the-end-of-uncle-donald-all-he-has-now-is-breaking-things

... This is what Donald’s going to do: he’s not going to concede, although who cares. What’s worse is he’s not going to engage in the normal activities that guarantee a peaceful transition. All he’s got now is breaking stuff, and he’s going to do that with a vengeance. I’ve always known how cruel he can be. Shortly after the 2016 election, when I’d see him being particularly cruel, I would think about how he treated my father [Fred Trump Jr, Donald’s older brother, who died of alcoholism at 43]. He took away our family health insurance after his father, my grandfather, died – this was when my nephew needed round-the-clock nursing care, which we then couldn’t afford. That is the kind of man he is.

He’ll be having meltdowns upon meltdowns right now. He has never been in a situation like this before. What’s interesting is that Donald has never won anything legitimately in his entire life, but because he has been so enabled by people along the way, he has never lost anything either. He’s the kind of person who thinks that even if you steal and cheat to win, you deserve to win.

... The fact that the Republicans have done better than expected in Congress and the Senate will have made him extraordinarily angry. It means that people were voting against Donald Trump in this election, but not necessarily against this party. That will have added so much salt to his narcissistic wounds.

... I worry about what Donald’s going to do in that time to lash out. He will go as far as he can to delegitimise the new administration, then he’ll pass pardons that will demoralise us, and sign a flurry of executive orders. Remember, he will also still be in charge of the US response to the pandemic. There could be a million Americans dead by then under his watch.

After January, things look bleak for Donald. He has more than $400m of debt coming in the next four years. Why at this point would his lenders cut him any slack? He has never paid anyone back. His businesses are in the tank. He has destroyed his brand.

As for saying he’ll run in 2024, that’s just a face-saving exercise. It’s a way of distracting him from the fact that he’s probably going to prison. But the worst thing Donald’s looking at isn’t financial difficulties or the prospect of jail. It’s becoming irrelevant. I don’t think he would ever recover from that.

... there's always cyanide & a Walther PPK in the bunker ....

kassy

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1268
  • Likes Given: 1172
« Reply #876 on: November 08, 2020, 07:00:48 PM »
If things go badly there is still this rule to depose him because he is mentally unfit. If he becomes really embarrassing they might do that...
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

gandul

« Reply #877 on: November 08, 2020, 08:03:27 PM »
Can I state the obvious (Biden/Harris won after the George Floyd + COVID social uprising -> massive vote) which is my pet theory, and that their victory doesn’t have so much to do with the “attractive” of dementia-riddled Biden or false-laugher Harris, or with the Lincoln Project (rofl)?

Can I predict the obvious that Biden/Harris will spend months with platitudes and not a word on healthcare for all, minimum wage, ensure home/rent for COVID challenged professionals, etc?

Who is for a deception bigger than Obama/Biden/Clinton ?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:12:57 PM by gandul »

gandul

« Reply #878 on: November 08, 2020, 08:08:50 PM »
I seem to remember President-elect Obama announcing that the seas would now stop rising.

Better off is relative. Now that he is elected we can start complaining about him not doing enough. Biden is not really a champion of environmental causes. Just replacing the top leaders of various government departmants such as the epa with people who aren't actively trying to destroy the department will help. Truthfully it will take some time to replace people driven out. Probably more than 4 years.
Agree, Biden doesn’t give a damn but will return to Paris agreement because the cost is very relative to the publicity stunt. However I don’t see him as a cavalier against fracking, oil industry, he’s just a product of 40 years of corruption.

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #879 on: November 08, 2020, 08:33:17 PM »
BTW, now that the election is over, will this thread be closed? There may be postmortems for weeks or even months, so I would think it should stay up awhile at least.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 669
  • Likes Given: 491
« Reply #880 on: November 08, 2020, 11:57:45 PM »
The election is definitely not over until at least December 14 when the electoral college votes.  It would be easy to argue that the January 5 runoff elections in Georgia are part of the 2020 election, and they are not over until the votes are certified.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

The Walrus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: November 09, 2020, 01:17:43 AM »
BTW, now that the election is over, will this thread be closed? There may be postmortems for weeks or even months, so I would think it should stay up awhile at least.

While the [presidential] election may be over, the Trump presidency is not.  He is still in charge for 72 more days.

vox_mundi

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: November 09, 2020, 01:20:03 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 01:38:11 AM by vox_mundi »

Sebastian Jones

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 113
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #883 on: November 09, 2020, 03:54:18 AM »
Ideally it will simply fade away, die a natural death. If it still needs to be open come Jan 20th, America will be in real trouble.

vox_mundi

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: November 09, 2020, 10:37:57 PM »
David Bossie, Who Was Named to Lead Trump Effort to Challenge Election Results, Tests Positive for Coronavirus
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/09/covid-19-trump-campaign-official-david-bossie-has-coronavirus.html

David Bossie, who only days ago was tapped to handle President Donald Trump's effort to challenge the results of the presidential election, has tested positive for the coronavirus.

Bossie's diagnosis was disclosed hours after news broke that Trump Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson was positive with Covid-19, and days after White House chief of staff Mark Meadows was revealed to be positive with the virus.

As a result, Bossie is no longer part of the decision-making process of the election challenge effort, "because he can't be at the campaign headquarters and he can't be in the Oval Office," a source told NBC News.

Bossie last Thursday participated in an Arizona Republican Party press conference about the Trump campaign in Phoenix.

At that event, Bossie, who was not wearing a mask, stood alongside U.S. Reps. Paul Gosar and Debbie Lesko, state party chairwoman Kelli Ward, former Trump campaign officials Jeff DeWit and Boris Epshteyn, former U.S. Rep. John Shadegg.

Bossie is head of the conservative advocacy group Citizens United.

-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------

HUD Chief Ben Carson Tests Positive for Covid-19
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/hud-secretary-ben-carson-tests-positive-for-coronavirus.html

Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson tested positive for Covid-19, according to NBC News.

Carson is the latest person in the administration to contract the virus, and his positive test comes less than a week after White House chief of staff Mark Meadows tested positive for Covid-19, CNBC’s Kevin Breuninger reports.

Carson and Meadows both attended an in-person election night party at the White House last week, NBC confirmed.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/07/white-house-chief-of-staff-mark-meadows-has-tested-positive-for-coronavirus.html

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 12:29:55 AM by vox_mundi »

interstitial

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 270
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #885 on: November 09, 2020, 11:36:45 PM »

While the [presidential] election may be over, the Trump presidency is not.  He is still in charge for 72 more days.
soon he will began to lash out at the country as a whole.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 613
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #886 on: November 10, 2020, 10:34:00 AM »
Is a coup attempt now in full swing?

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/this-is-an-attempted-coup-voting-expert-warns-bill-barr-is-trying-to-overturn-the-election/

‘This is an attempted coup’:

Voting expert warns Bill Barr is ‘trying to overturn the election’

Barr OK for election-fraud investigations roils Justice Department

In response to Barr’s memo, the career official running the DOJ branch that oversees such prosecutions stepped down.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/09/barr-memo-authorizes-doj-to-open-election-fraud-investigations-435622

‘Barr keeps getting lower’: AG blasted by legal experts for having DOJ chase Trump’s conspiracy theories

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/barr-keeps-getting-lower-ag-blasted-by-legal-experts-for-having-doj-chase-trumps-conspiracy-theories/

...“Who will be the first Senator to call for an Inspector General investigation over the AG Barr memo that just prompted the head of the Election Crimes Branch at DOJ to step down?” Bharara asked.

“For those keeping score, we’ve now seen 7 veteran career prosecutors resign from 4 different high-profile cases (Stone, Flynn, Durham, now this) to protest Barr’s political weaponization of DOJ,” CNN analyst and former prosecutor Elie Honig noted...

Jim Comey issues statement to DOJ officials after a big resignation in protest: ‘Please hang in there until January 20’

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/jim-comey-issues-statement-to-doj-officials-after-a-big-resignation-in-protest-please-hang-in-there-until-january-20/

10 things you need to know to stop a coup

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2020-10-16/10-things-you-need-to-know-to-stop-a-coup/?fbclid=IwAR1L_yiFCsW7En41v3ST50A3cHHdo2YtpryIfjba0-NM90HBuCRrBR_YPYY

...We will nonviolently take to the streets if a coup is attempted.

If we need to, we will shut down this country to protect the integrity of the democratic process.

Note: Unions have already vowed a general strike if trump tries to fraudulently steel the election

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:58:55 AM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 10, 2020, 11:20:21 AM »
Or will Trump try to start a war with Iran?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/10/donald-trump-mark-esper-foreign-policy-joe-biden-iran

Or both? One to distract people from the other?
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #888 on: November 10, 2020, 12:20:45 PM »
wili:
Isn't it a little late for Trump to start a war? It's an October Surprise, not a November Surprise.
Of course he may do it anyway...

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
« Reply #889 on: November 10, 2020, 01:13:07 PM »
Here are some candidates I would have preferred to either Trump or Biden:

vox_mundi

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 10, 2020, 01:49:50 PM »
Goebbels would be proud ...

Analysis of Trump's Tweets Reveals Systematic Diversion of the Media
https://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2020/november/trump-twitter.html
https://phys.org/news/2020-11-analysis-trump-tweets-reveals-systematic.html

President Donald Trump's controversial use of social media is widely known and theories abound about its ulterior motives. New research published today in Nature Communications claims to provide the first evidence-based analysis demonstrating the US President's Twitter account has been routinely deployed to divert attention away from a topic potentially harmful to his reputation, in turn suppressing negative related media coverage.

The international study, led by the University of Bristol in the UK, tested two hypotheses: whether an increase in harmful media coverage was followed by increased diversionary Twitter activity, and if such diversion successfully reduced subsequent media coverage of the harmful topic.

... "Our analysis presents empirical evidence consistent with the theory that whenever the media report something threatening or politically uncomfortable for President Trump, his account increasingly tweets about unrelated topics representing his political strengths. This systematic diversion of attention away from a topic potentially damaging to him was shown to significantly reduce negative media coverage the next day."

The study focused on Trump's first two years in office, scrutinising the Robert Mueller investigation into potential collusion with Russia in the 2016 Presidential Election, as this was politically harmful to the President. The team analysed content relating to Russia and the Mueller investigation in two of the country's most politically neutral media outlets, New York Times (NYT) and ABC World News Tonight (ABC). The team also selected a set of keywords judged to play to Trump's preferred topics at the time, which were hypothesized to be likely to appear in diversionary tweets. The keywords related to "jobs", "China", and "immigration"; topics representing the president's supposed political strengths.

... In support of their hypotheses, the team found that every five additional ABC headlines relating to the Mueller investigation was associated with one more mention of a keyword in Trump's tweets. In turn, two additional mentions of one of the keywords in a Trump tweet was associated with roughly one less mention of the Mueller investigation in the following day's NYT.

Such a pattern did not emerge with placebo topics that presented no threat to the President, for instance Brexit or other non-political issues such as football or gardening.

The research also conducted an expanded analysis considering the President's entire Twitter vocabulary as a potential source of diversion, which confirmed the generality of the researchers' conclusions. Specifically, the analysis identified nearly 90 pairs of words that were more likely to appear in tweets when Russia-Mueller coverage increased, and that suppressed media coverage the next day. Those word pairs largely represented the President's political strengths, focusing again in particular on the economy.

... we hope these results serve as a helpful reminder to the media that they have the power to set the news agenda, focusing on the topics they deem most important, while perhaps not paying so much attention to the Twitter-sphere."

Stephan Lewandowsky, Michael Jetter, Ullrich Ecker, Using the president's tweets to understand political diversion in the age of social media, Nature Communications, 2020.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19644-6

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 10, 2020, 07:58:08 PM »
What may come to be called The November Massacre seems to be in full swing now:

Pentagon’s top policy official resigns after clashing with the White House

The departure of James Anderson, acting undersecretary of defense for policy, potentially paves the way for Anthony Tata to take over the policy shop.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/10/pentagon-top-policy-official-resigns-435693

Also, stacking the pentagon with Trump loyalists is a necessary preliminary step toward an actual military coup...just sayin'

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 10, 2020, 08:20:40 PM »
These kinds of resignations should trigger alarms. These are people who are making huge personal sacrifices to try to draw attention to an unacceptable situation.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 10, 2020, 09:02:12 PM »
And, like clockwork, Sec of State Pompeo has just basically announced that they are planning a coup

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/10/pompeo-ignores-biden-victory-vows-smooth-transition-to-second-trump-term.html

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 10, 2020, 09:18:44 PM »
Here's one analysis that suggests that this is more about grift and the ongoing attempt to undermine faith in democracy (and hence in President Elect Biden) than an actual coup attempt (though all the usual suspects on the Trump side would apparently be just fine with that, too).

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/donald-trumps-coup-is-morphing-into-a-grift-but-mitch-mcconnell-sees-it-as-a-power-grab/

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 815
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #895 on: November 10, 2020, 09:48:38 PM »
Re: politically neutral media outlets, New York Times (NYT) and ABC World News Tonight (ABC).

That's funny.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 815
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #896 on: November 10, 2020, 09:49:23 PM »
I suspect McConnell is going along with the election challenge to bolster support in the georgia senate runoffs .

sidd

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 10, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »
"politically neutral media outlets" Are there any? Hasn't this always been a bit of a fiction? The question is more whether they regularly print outright lies, it seems to me.

"...McConnell is going along with the election challenge to bolster support in the georgia senate runoffs "

Maybe, but it would seem a like a rather bizarre way to go about it. "Elections are corrupt, so every republican in Georgia should work really hard on this election"  :o

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 10, 2020, 10:16:27 PM »
when will this thread close ? Doubt it will be any time soon . A coup on top of COVID ? Looking forward to a very messy new year .
  and an old post ..

The politics / Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« on: February 18, 2017, 12:17:16 AM »
My thought for some time ; if under threat of impeachment could the dumb bald rump call his voters out to protest , and a few million come armed in his defence ? What does an armed middle America do when told Their President is under threat .. the lying media, the evil judges , the mad scientists , the FBI , the CIA , ad infinitum : all out to get HIM ?

crazy ? just b.c.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 10, 2020, 10:59:55 PM »
Yes, bc, these are the kinds of scenarios that concern me.

And they are laying the groundwork. They just have to get enough legitimate sounding individuals and institutions (Barr, Pompeo...) seeming to support the idea that there is mass corruption, along with the imPOTUS's endless tweet stream, to get a lot of his cult members, errr, followers to believe that something nefarious is afoot.

By the way, the guy trump just tapped to replace the latest head that rolled in the pentagon is known to have called Obama a 'terrorist leader,' per Politico