Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Greenland 2018 melt season  (Read 100884 times)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Greenland 2018 melt season
« Reply #250 on: October 18, 2018, 10:50:53 AM »
He gerontocrat, is it possible to put a number on it ( in km3) , how much melt there is in Greenland in summer. Not the difference between summer losses and winter gains. Just summer losses. If your hardware can handle it  :)
Sorry Alexander,

I have no numeric data on this.
All I do is look at the website http://www.dmi.dk/en/groenland/maalinger/greenland-ice-sheet-surface-mass-budget/ and occasionally look at http://nsidc.org/greenland-today/

The NSIDC website is worth a read as it has the summary for the 2018 year, and also has links to more detailed info.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 18, 2018, 10:56:04 AM »
https://www.dmi.dk/en/groenland/maalinger/greenland-ice-sheet-surface-mass-budget/

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 17 Oct 2018

No melt.
Precipitation low
SMB gain for the year (from Sep 1) is and will probably stay very close to average.

In an attempt to make this post slightly interesting I attach an images from https://climatereanalyzer.org/wx/fcst/#gfs.arc-lea.prcp-mslp-gph500 to show that there will be some precipitation in S Greenland next Monday

In a continuing facetious attempt to create drama I note that accumulated SMB from September 1 to date is continuing to follow the 2011-12 pattern - and look what happened in 2012 !!

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 25, 2018, 01:28:23 PM »
https://www.dmi.dk/en/groenland/maalinger/greenland-ice-sheet-surface-mass-budget/

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 24 Oct 2018

No melt.
Precipitation low
SMB gain for the year (from Sep 1) is and will probably stay very close to average or even below.

BUT!
In an attempt to make this post slightly interesting - it seems we are going to get an event!. On Friday to Sunday rain, snow and warmth to hit Southern Greenland, and maybe even some melt.

I attach images from climatereanalyzer.org

Mind you after that it looks like a lot of nothing is going to happen.

In a continuing facetious attempt to create drama I note that accumulated SMB from September 1 to date is continuing to follow the 2011-12 pattern - and look what happened in 2012 !!

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #253 on: October 25, 2018, 02:34:04 PM »
Yes, there is an event occurring over the weekend.  However, the models differ widely on the path and timing.  The amount of snow and/or melt depends on the specifics.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 28, 2018, 10:48:41 AM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 27 Oct 2018

No melt - apart from a bit of sublimation
Precipitation higher than average for a day or two
SMB gain for the year (from Sep 1) is and will probably stay very close to average or below.

The event did happen and is still happening, but fading away. precipitation above average, but not by that much, and some warmth but insufficient to move the melt graph off zero.

From now it looks like a lot of nothing is going to happen - Greenland staying very dry. That is, of course, significant, as conventional wisdom says that as temperatures rise, so does water vapour and precipitation increases in the high latitudes. But not in Greenland so far this year, a contrast with the previous 2 years.

Indeed, all of the snowy regions of the Northern hemisphere are now showing average to below average snow cover extent, which seems likely to continue (see attached image).

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 01, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 31 Oct 2018

2 months of the 2018-2019 SMB season now complete - and what is there to say? Not a lot.
Not a lot of melt - apart from a bit of a spike in mid-September
Not a lot of precipitation and no out of the ordinary events.
SMB gain for the year (from Sep 1) is and has been very close to average or below.

It looks like a lot of nothing is going to continue to happen for a few days - Greenland staying pretty dry.

In an effort to create some interest, the average or below precipitation is, of course, significant, as conventional wisdom says that as temperatures rise, so does water vapour and precipitation increases in the high latitudes. But not in Greenland so far this year, a contrast with the previous 2 years.

Indeed, all of the snowy regions of the Northern hemisphere seem to be at levels at or just less above average than last year.

In a continuing pathetic attempt to create drama I note that accumulated SMB from September 1 to date is continuing to follow the 2011-12 pattern - and look what happened in 2012 !!

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 06, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 24 Oct 2018

No melt.
Precipitation low
SMB gain for the year (from Sep 1) is and will probably stay very close to average or even below.

It looks like a lot of nothing is going to continue to happen.

In a continuing, increasingly desperate, facetious attempt to create drama I note that accumulated SMB from September 1 to date is continuing to follow the 2011-12 pattern - and look what happened in 2012 !!

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #257 on: November 06, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »
Thanks gerontocrat for these updates.
Just some advice, if you're desperately looking for drama you could track SMB of the new Quebec Ice Sheet!  :P

magnamentis

« Reply #258 on: November 06, 2018, 09:28:38 PM »
Just some advice, if you're desperately looking for drama you could track SMB of the new Quebec Ice Sheet!  :P

LOL

someone is fine tuning his sCope for a leaf shot without losing cover (becoming a target)

respect  ;)

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #259 on: November 06, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »
I know you are being facetious, but snow remained extant over the Torngat Mountains this summer, and the resulting ramifications of that remaining albedo have IMO been significant (combined with other factors -- Beaufort Gyre reversal, Greenland albedo, +moisture, cold SSTs in Hudson Bay).

2017-18 was incredible, but 2018 is already beating it by miles in most of Quebec. Here is the D10 forecast (11/15) vs. 11/15/2017.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 06, 2018, 11:15:52 PM »
You are doing it again, bbr, posting on the wrong thread, which is a shame because for once GFS supports you on Quebec, with 3 hairy storms in the next 10 days that remind me of the procession of Nor' Easters last March/April(?).

But Greenland looks like avoiding much impact.

Maybe a post on the snow thread tomorrow.

Shared Humanity

« Reply #261 on: November 06, 2018, 11:30:22 PM »

;D

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 07, 2018, 12:40:19 AM »
You are doing it again, bbr, posting on the wrong thread, which is a shame because for once GFS supports you on Quebec, with 3 hairy storms in the next 10 days that remind me of the procession of Nor' Easters last March/April(?).

But Greenland looks like avoiding much impact.

Maybe a post on the snow thread tomorrow.
I was only responding to Oren, I apologize!  :)

Also, a note re: GFS -- it is horribly at incorporating refreeze and ice melt into its output (or rather, it doesn't do it at all, unlike the EURO). I believe it was way too warm in the recent output for Quebec / etc for this reason. This also means that it is probably too cold in springtime when ice is melting.

But what it really means? USE THE EURO!  ;D

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2173
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #263 on: November 08, 2018, 12:16:25 AM »
thanks for these updates Gerontocrat
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:26:44 AM by uniquorn »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 08, 2018, 03:07:56 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 7 Nov 2018

No melt.
Precipitation low - very low

It looks like a lot of nothing is going to continue to happen.

In a continuing, increasingly desperate, facetious attempt to create drama I note that accumulated SMB from September 1 to date is continuing to follow the 2011-12 pattern - and look what happened in 2012 !!

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 12, 2018, 12:34:28 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 11 Nov 2018

No melt.

BUT!!
This weekend maybe Greenland will get some weather (Friday to Sunday). A N Easter after ding a nasty to NE Canada looks like bringing precipitation to S Greenland and then up the East Coast and bring unseasonal warmth to most of Greenland (but not enough for a melt?).

In a continuing, increasingly desperate, and forlorn attempt to create drama I note that accumulated SMB from September 1 to date is now below the 2011-12 pattern, but a dump of snow this weekend may put accumulated SMB back on the 2011-12 line - and look what happened in 2012 !!

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #266 on: November 12, 2018, 03:39:06 PM »
Very low SMB accumulation recently. Much different from the previous year.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #267 on: November 13, 2018, 08:15:14 AM »
Very low SMB accumulation recently. Much different from the previous year.
Yes, at the start of the season ,but it eventually was hovering right above average for most of the accumulation period. The big thing last year was the very slow (and low) melt.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 16, 2018, 09:27:36 AM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 15 Nov 2018

No melt.
SMB gain for the year (from Sep 1) is approaching 50GT below average.

BUT!!
This weekend maybe Greenland will get some weather (Friday to Sunday). The tail of a North Easter that did a nasty to NE Canada looks like bringing precipitation to S Greenland and then up the East Coast.
And on Tuesday a plume of warm air proceeds up Baffin Bay and brings unseasonal warmth to West Greenland - maybe enough for a melt.

I have to abandon my fruitless, increasingly desperate, and forlorn attempt to create drama by linking this year to 2011-12. Accumulated SMB from September 1 to date is now well below the 2011-12 pattern,and the outlook is for low overall precipitation over the next 10 days.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 18, 2018, 12:16:25 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 17 Nov 2018

No melt.
BUT!!
Above average precipitation ! The tail of a North Easter that did a nasty to NE Canada brought precipitation to S Greenland and then up the East Coast.

And on Tuesday a plume of warm air proceeds up Baffin Bay and brings unseasonal warmth to West Greenland - maybe enough for a melt. And ditto on Thursday.
On on both days also looks like quite a lot of snow.

After that it looks like peace descends again.

ps: This might be a part of a significant change in N. America weather as warmth moves West to East greatly reducing the extreme cold in central and NE Canada over the next week.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 20, 2018, 08:40:46 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 17 Nov 2018

No melt. BUT!! GFS says a melt may well have happened today. See attached image
And ditto on Thursday or Friday or Saturday?.

Above average precipitation probably continues until the Weekend?

After that it looks like peace may descend again.

ps: This might be a part of a significant change in N. America weather as warmth moves West to East greatly reducing the extreme cold in central and NE Canada over the next few days

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #271 on: November 20, 2018, 09:22:46 PM »
No melt.
Hmmm, I see several small pink areas on the east, west and south coasts on the 2018 19/11 map.  I suggest "Insignificant melt." might be more accurate.  I presumed there would be no pink when I read the comment, and didn't see any at first ('cause I wasn't expecting any), but then some appeared, and then more appeared.  (A closer look with an enlarged map shows that two shades of pink occur in several spots.)  But tomorrow I may see what 'pink' really looks like! :)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 20, 2018, 09:28:10 PM »
No melt.
Hmmm, I see several small pink areas on the east, west and south coasts on the 2018 19/11 map.  I suggest "Insignificant melt." might be more accurate.  I presumed there would be no pink when I read the comment, and didn't see any at first ('cause I wasn't expecting any), but then some appeared, and then more appeared.  (A closer look with an enlarged map shows that two shades of pink occur in several spots.)  But tomorrow I may see what 'pink' really looks like! :)
Sublimation, Tor, sublimation. Don't count as melt, says Denmark, and who am I to disagree with a bunch of vikings?

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 21, 2018, 01:56:13 AM »
Gerontocrat,
I think you told me this the last time I saw (a version of) red.  Will I remember or will there be a '3 times is a charm'?
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 21, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 20 Nov 2018

No melt says DMI. BUT the temperature on the central west coast was above zero. There is a big fat patch of pink on the map.That's a lot of sublimation.
Quote from TOR
Gerontocrat,
I think you told me this the last time I saw (a version of) red.  Will I remember or will there be a '3 times is a charm'?
Sorry Tor, I'm thinking more like "Groundhog Day".

Above average precipitation probably continues until the Weekend? Maybe more pink on the map onFriday.

After that it looks like peace may descend again.

ps: This looks increasingly like a part of a significant change in N. America weather as warmth moves West to East greatly reducing the extreme cold in central and NE Canada over the next few days

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 24, 2018, 07:49:20 AM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 23 Nov 2018

No melt says DMI.  There is a  patch of pink on the map. sublimation.
The above average precipitation event is over. SMB balance year to date back to average.

It looks like peace has descended again and precipitation will be low or very low for at least the next few days..

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 27, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 26 Nov 2018

No melt says DMI.
Very little precipitation
SMB balance year to date back to below average.

It looks like peace has descended again and precipitation will be low or very low for at least the next few days (including the snowy part of North America).

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 29, 2018, 12:12:00 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 28 Nov 2018

No melt Very little precipitation

It looks like peace has descended again and precipitation will be low or very low for at least the next few days.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 01, 2018, 04:39:14 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 30 Nov 2018

No melt Very little precipitation

It looks like peace has descended again and precipitation will be low or very low for at least the next few days, (or even up to 10 days)

3 months of the 2018-19 SMB season complete. So far precipitation has been very much below 2016-17, and below 2017-18.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #279 on: December 01, 2018, 05:03:26 PM »
So in 2017/2018 there was no loss for the year ?

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 01, 2018, 07:22:17 PM »
Possibly, certainly much lower - depends on calving value which we do not know (but could work out from GRACE data on net mass change until GRACE data stopped in early 2017). So no way to prove it either way. GRACE Follow-on, with luck, will start producing data early 2019, so at least we will have the total mass change for the two years 2017 and 2018, i.e. SMB gain minus calving loss.

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 01, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »
Possibly, certainly much lower - depends on calving value which we do not know (but could work out from GRACE data on net mass change until GRACE data stopped in early 2017). So no way to prove it either way. GRACE Follow-on, with luck, will start producing data early 2019, so at least we will have the total mass change for the two years 2017 and 2018, i.e. SMB gain minus calving loss.

https://nsidc.org/greenland-today/

As noted in the previous post, exceptional winter snow accumulation and heavy, summer snowfall, drove the net snow input mass to 130 billion tons above the 1981 to 2010 average. This was followed by a near-average melt and runoff period, resulting in a large net mass gain for the ice sheet in 2018 of 150 billion tons. This is the largest net gain from snowfall since 1996, and the highest snowfall since 1972. However, several major glaciers now flow significantly faster than in these earlier years. The net change in mass of the ice sheet overall, including this higher discharge of ice directly into the ocean, is not clear at this point but may be a smaller loss or even a small gain. This is similar to our assessment for 2017, and in sharp contrast to the conditions for the preceding decade.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2018, 09:29:30 AM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 8 Dec 2018

No melt
Very little precipitation

It looks like peace has descended again and precipitation will be low or very low for at least the next few days, (or even up to 10 days)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 13, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 12 Dec 2018

A change in the weather...

No melt

Above average precipitation in the last 2 days, mostly on the SE coastal region.
Average or above precipitation likely in the next 5 days, also mostly on the SE coastal region .

SMB balance year to date below average but may trend back to around average.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 16, 2018, 04:36:49 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 15 Dec 2018

There was change in the weather...
- No melt, there was above average precipitation for 3-4 days, mostly on the SE coastal region.
SMB balance year to date below average but trended a bit towards average.

And for the next 5 days it looks like,
- no melt,
- below average precipitation,
- SMB balance year to date trending a bit more below average.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:07:07 PM by gerontocrat »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 17, 2018, 12:09:57 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 16 Dec 2018

And for the next 5 days it still looks like,
- no melt,

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 23, 2018, 01:47:11 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 22 Dec 2018

Another mind-numbingly ordinary week passed with
- no melt,

- no melt,
- below average precipitation apart from today ,

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 24, 2018, 09:33:07 AM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 23 Dec 2018

- no melt,
- below average precipitation apart from yesterday , above average precipitation, quite a pretty image,
- SMB balance year to date likely to trend a bit more below average.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 29, 2018, 12:40:25 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 28 Dec 2018

And for the next 5 to 10 days it still looks like,
- no melt,
- below average precipitation most of the time with the occasional low hitting the south and east
- SMB balance year to date likely to trend a bit more below average.

Interesting? Not really.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 29, 2018, 04:50:33 PM »
Interesting? Not really.
That the end of 2018 is paralleling 2011 is interesting, I declare.   :)
If 2019 follows 2012's experience, this would bode ill for Greenland's ice as well as the ice floating on the Arctic Ocean.  (Did I make the "if" big enough?)

There have been a few recent comments on the ASIF relating to Fram Strait export, all rather speculative (other than graphs showing the fast early Greenland Sea SIE growth stalled to 'normal' growth).  Has anybody had a good look at how the current high over Greenland is affecting the sea ice off Greenland's darkest [northern] shores (including Nares and Fram Straits)?

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 01, 2019, 06:27:10 PM »

2018 MELT SEASON - 2018-2019 SMB SEASON As at 31 Dec 2018

Just had 2 very dry days.

And for the next 5 to 10 days it looks like,
- no melt,
- perhaps above average precipitation with  lows hitting the south and east every 2 or 3 days
- SMB balance year to date not changing much ? Now that's a real Buddy size font, Tor.

GRACE follow-on data - where are you?