Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: What if climate change meant not doom, but abundance?  (Read 2055 times)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
What if climate change meant not doom, but abundance?
« on: March 17, 2023, 10:48:08 PM »
Opinion:  What if climate change meant not doom — but abundance?
March 15, 2023 at 6:00 a.m. EDT
A monastic once told me renunciation can be great if it means giving up things that make you miserable.
This vision, I think, is what has been missing when we talk about the climate crisis — and how we should respond to it.

Much of the reluctance to do what climate change requires comes from the assumption that it means trading abundance for austerity, and trading all our stuff and conveniences for less stuff, less convenience. But what if it meant giving up things we’re well rid of, from deadly emissions to nagging feelings of doom and complicity in destruction? What if the austerity is how we live now — and the abundance could be what is to come?

Look closely, and you can see that by measures other than goods and money, we are impoverished. Even the affluent live in a world where confidence in the future, and in the society and institutions around us, is fading — and where a sense of security, social connectedness, mental and physical health, and other measures of well-being are often dismal.

This is the world we live in with fossil fuel — the burning of which makes us poorer in many ways. We know that the fossil fuel industry corrodes our politics. We know that worldwide, breathing air contaminated by fossil fuel kills more than 8 million people a year and damages many more, particularly babies and children. And we know that as fossil fuel fills the upper atmosphere with carbon dioxide that destabilizes temperature and weather, it increases despair and anxiety.

All of this has particularly affected the young, who are justified in their fury and grief. But in truth, we’re dealing with a broader sense of helplessness and even guilt — the impact on the psyche of witnessing or feeling complicit in something wrong.

This is moral injury, and many of us suffer from it. Or we try to avoid seeing and thinking about it, and adopt a numbing, willful obliviousness.

Such numbing breeds inaction, when this crisis demands specific action: a swift transition toward renewables, improved designs for the built environment, better care for the natural world in all the ways we interact with it.

The good news is, the knowledge that we are not separate from nature but dependent on it is already far more present than it was a few decades ago. Everywhere, I see people rethinking how they work and live, turning this knowledge into reality.

I see farmers who consider not just crops and profit, but the sustainability of the wild things and waterways and nature around them — who work the land for this year’s harvest and for the long-term well-being of the whole. I see the resurgence of Indigenous power and vision in climate protests, but also in ideas about food, time and values. I see champions for the oceans and their denizens, for the forests, for the whole miraculously beautiful biosphere.

Such projects need participation, defense and expansion; we need to cultivate and amplify this knowledge until it’s how the world works and how we understand the world.

To accomplish that, we need a large-scale change in perspective. To reframe climate change as an opportunity — a chance to rethink who we are and what we desire.

What if we imagined “wealth” consisting not of the money we stuff into banks or the fossil fuel-derived goods we pile up, but of joy, beauty, friendship, community, closeness to flourishing nature, to good food produced without abuse of labor? What if we were to think of wealth as security in our environments and societies, and as confidence in a viable future?

“Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers,” William Wordsworth wrote a couple of centuries ago. What would it mean to recover those powers, to be rich in time instead of stuff?

For so many of us, being busy with work has leached away our capacity to pursue true riches. What if we were to prioritize reclaiming our time — to fret less about getting and spending — and instead “spend” this precious resource on creative pursuits, on adventure and learning, on building stronger societies and being better citizens, on caring for the people (and other species and places) we love, on taking care of ourselves?

When I was researching a book on how people respond to disasters, I was struck less by the fact that most people were brave, altruistic and able to improvise new social networks and means of survival, and more by the fact that amid these improvisations, they found something they craved so much that even amid death, ruin and disorder, their joy shone out.

To respond to the climate crisis — a disaster on a more immense scale than anything our species has faced — we can and must summon what people facing disasters have: a sense of meaning, of deep connection and generosity, of being truly alive in the face of uncertainty. Of joy.

This is the kind of abundance we need to meet the climate crisis, to make many, or even most, lives better. It is the opposite of moral injury; it is moral beauty. A thing we needn’t acquire, because we already have it in us.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/03/15/rebecca-solnit-climate-change-wealth-abundance/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: What if climate change meant not doom, but abundance?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 11:57:31 PM »
This all sounds very nice, but mitigating and/or adapting to climate change will mean hard work, both physical and mental. We can all define wealth any which way we like, but when the powers that be define wealth as something that needs to grow and concentrate endlessly, we will be their slaves sooner or later (most of us are already).

The article is written by someone with a city-mind. Cities is where the big children live, out of touch with nature, out of touch with reality, true believers of the church of Science and Technology.

Because let me guess: The solutions in this article have to do with further advances in automatization and AI, right? Or did the WaPo get some die-hard hippy from the 70s to write this piece?

You will own nothing and you will be happy? Is the soma included, free of charge?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 12:12:19 AM »
I believe everyone could benefit from learning to appreciate nature and non-material things, regardless of where they live.  Some people will find themselves needing to work hard to deal with adversity that climate change brings to them.  Others who are affected in less direct ways will incorporate new solutions into their lives — ways of thinking, and new, sustainable technology — that will require hardly any effort at all.

“Rebecca Solnit, a writer and historian, is the author of more than 20 books and co-editor of the anthology “Not Too Late: Changing the Climate Story From Despair to Possibility,” publishing in April.”

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 149
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 01:28:26 AM »
Much of the doom surrounding climate change has to do with change, and the assumption that nature cannot adopt to the changes.  The changes themselves are not inherently bad for most of nature; most species thrive in a warmer, wetter world.  Cold and dryness pose a bigger problem.  Rather, it is the speed at which the changes are expected to occur that has the gloomers worried.  This is an untested assumption, which many prefer not to test. 

Personally, I feel that climate change is occurring much slower than the habitat changes that have occurred in recent times.  Mosts species have not handled this change well.  There are exceptions like coyotes, rats, and pigeons, that have not just adapted, but thrived with these changes.  But in general, the change has not been pleasant to most species, especially the building of large cities.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 02:36:37 AM »
This all sounds very nice, but mitigating and/or adapting to climate change will mean hard work, both physical and mental. We can all define wealth any which way we like, but when the powers that be define wealth as something that needs to grow and concentrate endlessly, we will be their slaves sooner or later (most of us are already).

The article is written by someone with a city-mind. Cities is where the big children live, out of touch with nature, out of touch with reality, true believers of the church of Science and Technology.

Because let me guess: The solutions in this article have to do with further advances in automatization and AI, right? Or did the WaPo get some die-hard hippy from the 70s to write this piece?

You will own nothing and you will be happy? Is the soma included, free of charge?

Of most people who live in cities decide to adopt a minimalistic approach with a focus on being time rich and community strong, then that adaption alone would change the situation significantly.

Those would concentrate wealth will find it harder to do that if most people decide to not play their game anymore.
Work less, spend less, eat self grown food and sharing among the community... these are the things we need more of.

So yeah, this does sound nice and doable IF people decide to do it... especially those who live in cities.
And the solution has less to do with science and tech and more to do with becoming more human and in touch with nature.

Either way, it can contribute significantly to reducing the damage that is coming.

The challenge, in the end, isn't what is physically possible or not... it is changing the minds of enough people to stop believing the cultural norms and to be prepared to change how they live. To me, that is what will destroy us... an unwillingness to change unless it personally affects the individual.

I don't see our species adapting to climate change mostly due to this problem. Yes, it is the wealthy who push the agenda because they want things to remain the same for their own benefit. But it is the same with most people regardless of their position.

If we have shelter, food, and security, and it feels good, why risk changing that if the problem isn't knocking on our personal door?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 01:53:21 PM »
Much of the reluctance to do what climate change requires comes from the assumption that it means trading abundance for austerity, and trading all our stuff and conveniences for less stuff, less convenience. But what if it meant giving up things we’re well rid of, from deadly emissions to nagging feelings of doom and complicity in destruction? What if the austerity is how we live now — and the abundance could be what is to come?

Well the media have been pushing a lot of that messaging over time. When articles talk about the cost of adaptation they almost never mention the staggering amount of money we pump into FFs as a subsidy.

For all net FF energy importers this should be a gain because all the money that goes out of the country can now be invested in something else. Additional gains are public health which again frees up money etc.

Of course this is why FF companies have fought the transition so hard.

Not Too Late: Changing the Climate Story From Despair to Possibility

Another more general thing. Most people do not really think of the problems as doom. And the change is not from despair to possibility.

The root cause of inaction lies with our leaders who pledge things but don´t act on it. If there is despair popping up then it is because this inaction. We are too slow to meet our own pledges which means we will hit an overall goal that is over 1,5C and the higher you go the bigger the risks become.

Some people have long pointed out that there are lots of risks not actually modelled in IPCC reports and often someone came along and called them doomers. Of course by know we know that Thwaites is near collapse, actual global temps below 1C trigger Greenland, Antarctica etc.

The big problem is that we don´t know what global temperature is safe. Losing major rivers for transport complicates matters. The chance of a multiple bread basket failure increases with temperature just as the chances of many other crises all over the world.

For now we are mainly headed towards an abundance of problems.
All talk of net zero is wasted in absence of real reductions etc.

No matter how we feel about it we must move towards the FF phase out ASAP but the lack in international cooperation prevents that. Of course the US being a FF exporting country does not help.

Most people in cities won´t go for the minimalist approach because so much adds tell you to get more things. Also many big cities are not suited to be community strong.

Anyway most people don´t care enough because they all have their own problems to solve.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

CalamityCountdown

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Calamity Countdown
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 04:36:16 PM »
There is a quite a bit a "magical" thinking in the previous posts in this thread. Climate change will lead to mass displacement of coastal populations, food shortages, heat related deaths, and economic impoverishment as coastal real estate prices crash. The earth is already in the midst of a mass extinction event. Abundance seems unlikely.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 07:32:51 PM »
There is a quite a bit a "magical" thinking in the previous posts in this thread. Climate change will lead to mass displacement of coastal populations, food shortages, heat related deaths, and economic impoverishment as coastal real estate prices crash. The earth is already in the midst of a mass extinction event. Abundance seems unlikely.

You seem to be quite sure of yourself.  What you call "magical" thinking is what the rest of us realize has as much possibility of occurring as your apocalytpic outcome. 

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 08:55:22 PM »
Magical cornucopia or apocalypse seems kinda binary. We make guesses on the Sept. sea ice minimum every season. If you are a good guesser you can correctly forecast in  June , July or August. We can see about how good you are at forecasting , or guessing , by your numbers. There is such a huge gap between all and nothing but 50/50 would seem far less likely than something in between unless your species goes extinct. Some species are going extinct Walrus, I somehow doubt you can accept some responsibility for those loses. And if you do accept some responsibility I would wonder how it is you respond? Denial is so much easier.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2023, 09:53:39 PM »
Magical cornucopia or apocalypse seems kinda binary. We make guesses on the Sept. sea ice minimum every season. If you are a good guesser you can correctly forecast in  June , July or August. We can see about how good you are at forecasting , or guessing , by your numbers. There is such a huge gap between all and nothing but 50/50 would seem far less likely than something in between unless your species goes extinct. Some species are going extinct Walrus, I somehow doubt you can accept some responsibility for those loses. And if you do accept some responsibility I would wonder how it is you respond? Denial is so much easier.

Yes, species are going extinct.  Many more are endangered. But these are not being caused by climate change!  There are caused mostly by us destroying their homes.  Several others by over hunting.  Is this what you are calling denial?

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2023, 10:54:57 PM »
Pycnopodia are currently getting a threatened listing. Over a large part of their range they deserve an endangered listing. An ocean heatwave 2013  brought whatever ails them. Yes climate change is shoving some species into extinction. Nobody fished starfish and nobody displaced them from their home range.
I am currently watching recurring hypoxic events off the Oregon coast that are being driven by ocean heating, increased upwelling and chemical changes to intermediate waters. Some years the hypoxia covers half the shelf and the CO2 driven changes to intermediate waters and ocean heating will continue unchecked for several more decades even if we stop all CO2 emissions tomorrow. Will the entire shelf become hypoxic as conditions deteriorate ? Climate change ,yes.
 But you didn’t answer my question about admitting culpability. Because for you it’s someone else causing problems, which saves you changing anything in your life. Handy that crutch , denial.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2023, 11:05:56 PM »
Did you miss my response.  When I say “us” that means myself and others.  I am not doing this alone, and not blaming others, as you falsely claim.  You appear to flippantly use the term “denial” to refer to anything you cannot or prefer not to address.  You use it as a crutch to avoid tackling the difficult questions.  Digging up a few obscure species to support claim does not override your complete refusal to accept the most relevant causes.  I could use your term here, but I will not stoop to that level.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 11:32:02 PM »
Still haven’t heard whether you think anything that’s happening warrants you doing something different in your life. Yes farmers cutting down forests, or plowing up ever more land is displacing wildlife to feed ever more humans. You are one of those humans. Yes climate change is forcing species to shift range or causing disease , you flying less or changing your eating habits ? Or do you just lurk on the web throwing doubt on anything that looks like other people trying to change course? Doubt is followed by denial and yes you are in denial.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 11:39:07 PM »
I guess you just refuse to listen to reason or science.  There is nothing more I can say or do.  Good day.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2023, 01:29:39 AM »
I will let you have the last words. These are your words “ Yes, species are going extinct.  Many more are endangered. But these are not being caused by climate change!

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2023, 01:52:01 AM »

So should we throw our hands up into the air and give up?

For my part, that is not an acceptable way to proceed.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2023, 01:56:51 AM »
Still haven’t heard whether you think anything that’s happening warrants you doing something different in your life. Yes farmers cutting down forests, or plowing up ever more land is displacing wildlife to feed ever more humans. You are one of those humans. Yes climate change is forcing species to shift range or causing disease , you flying less or changing your eating habits ? Or do you just lurk on the web throwing doubt on anything that looks like other people trying to change course? Doubt is followed by denial and yes you are in denial.

Why are you saying those things?

Obviously almost everyone here understands that we are ALL part of the problem.
I am fairly confident that most of us are also trying to do our individual part to do this... from having no car, to minimal meat eating, no flying, and more... but even if every individual in the world did that, it wouldn't be enough.

The issue is how we work our economic systems, globalization, how we make our steel, roads, dams, and how we function globally is the main issue here. Individuals can not do enough to reduce the vast majority of the coming impacts... so why attack the individual?

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2023, 02:38:30 AM »
Walrus claimed climate change isn’t causing extinction, pisses me off big time. And I happen to believe every last one of us need to make some effort at helping rather than constantly spreading doubt and denial. And furthermore if everyone did cut back and do those myriad things we could each do the system would buckle a bit and the slowdown might actually begin reduce all that steel ,concrete , and growth that people invest their stock portfolio into.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2023, 03:24:13 AM »
Walrus claimed climate change isn’t causing extinction, pisses me off big time. And I happen to believe every last one of us need to make some effort at helping rather than constantly spreading doubt and denial. And furthermore if everyone did cut back and do those myriad things we could each do the system would buckle a bit and the slowdown might actually begin reduce all that steel ,concrete , and growth that people invest their stock portfolio into.

Maybe I misunderstood Walrus.
I think he was saying that climate change is causing extinctions and problems... he is also saying that a significant portion of current extinctions is from our destruction of the environment for cities, farming, mining, forestry etc.

If my understanding is correct, I would agree with him.
What we have done to the environment has been more destructive than climate change to date... but moving forward, climate change will do far worse and is something that can be reduced in terms of severity.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2023, 05:42:01 AM »

Maybe I misunderstood Walrus.
I think he was saying that climate change is causing extinctions and problems... he is also saying that a significant portion of current extinctions is from our destruction of the environment for cities, farming, mining, forestry etc.

If my understanding is correct, I would agree with him.
What we have done to the environment has been more destructive than climate change to date... but moving forward, climate change will do far worse and is something that can be reduced in terms of severity.

Absolutely correct Rodius.  Glad to see someone here understands.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2023, 09:44:44 AM »

The writer of the article linked in the opening comment suggests we throw our hands up in the air and enjoy the abundance.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2023, 01:05:10 PM »

The writer of the article linked in the opening comment suggests we throw our hands up in the air and enjoy the abundance.

I think it was quite the opposite.  The writer was suggesting that we have an opportunity to rid ourselves of that which is causing problems, and embrace what could enrich us (not necessarily monetarily).  The writer aimed at changing our perspective from one of inevitable gloom and doom to one that embraces the changes we (as a society) need to make to achieve this.  Doing nothing was not the intended meaning.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2023, 02:02:33 PM »

From the article (well, the section of the article copied into the forum)

What if we imagined “wealth” consisting not of the money we stuff into banks or the fossil fuel-derived goods we pile up, but of joy, beauty, friendship, community, closeness to flourishing nature, to good food produced without abuse of labor? What if we were to think of wealth as security in our environments and societies, and as confidence in a viable future?

This sounds like someone who believes we need to radically change how we do basically everything.

To me, I see that as we need to become minimalists, focus on the environment, on each other and the world around us.
I wouldn't call that throwing their hands up and giving up.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2023, 03:30:45 PM »

From the article (well, the section of the article copied into the forum) …

Yes, that is the entire piece (minus some links to other articles). :)

If I understand WaPo “Gift Articles” correctly, anyone should be able to view the article free for 14 days (if you can’t already, using the link in the original post) using this link:  https://wapo.st/3Jr9vUQ

WildFit

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 110
  • Likes Given: 79
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2023, 04:21:15 PM »

There will be new coastal lines that will benefit. Humans have a problem with changes in general. Not saying that's wrong but from history the most rapid and abundant development in nature was during warm periods. Not saying I know that this will be the case but the question in the title of this thread is a valid question and in case of doubt I would stick to what we know, means, to destroy our wellbeing in case that PERHAPS is necessary is not my approach to anything. I'm not saying it's a wrong approach, it's just not mine and it's certainly fair to weigh both sides, no dogmas, that never paid off.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2023, 06:07:16 PM »

There will be new coastal lines that will benefit. Humans have a problem with changes in general. Not saying that's wrong but from history the most rapid and abundant development in nature was during warm periods. Not saying I know that this will be the case but the question in the title of this thread is a valid question and in case of doubt I would stick to what we know, means, to destroy our wellbeing in case that PERHAPS is necessary is not my approach to anything. I'm not saying it's a wrong approach, it's just not mine and it's certainly fair to weigh both sides, no dogmas, that never paid off.

Well said Wildfit.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2023, 09:46:03 PM »
Looks like some people need to reconnect with nature and feel the damage of climate change and of the industrial world.
What about reading a little bit of Joanna Macy https://www.joannamacy.net/.
AGW is destroying our wellbeing, it is an opportunity to discover new way of living, just like WWII was an opportunity to be brave. Not really looking forward to it.
WE ARE IN a space without a map. With the likelihood of economic collapse and climate catastrophe looming, it feels like we are on shifting ground, where old habits and old scenarios no longer apply. In Tibetan Buddhism, such a space or gap between known worlds is called a bardo. It is frightening. It is also a place of potential transformation.

As you enter the bardo, there facing you is the Buddha Akshobhya. His element is Water. He is holding a mirror, for his gift is Mirror Wisdom, reflecting everything just as it is. And the teaching of Akshobhya’s mirror is this: Do not look away. Do not avert your gaze. Do not turn aside. This teaching clearly calls for radical attention and total acceptance.

For the last forty years, I’ve been growing a form of experiential group work called the Work That Reconnects. It is a framework for personal and social change in the face of overwhelming crises—a way of transforming despair and apathy into collaborative action. Like the Mirror Wisdom of Akshobhya, the Work That Reconnects helps people tell the truth about what they see and feel is happening to our world. It also helps them find the motivation, tools, and resources for taking part in our collective self-healing.
https://emergencemagazine.org/op_ed/entering-the-bardo/

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2023, 11:50:26 PM »

From the article (well, the section of the article copied into the forum) …

Yes, that is the entire piece (minus some links to other articles). :)

If I understand WaPo “Gift Articles” correctly, anyone should be able to view the article free for 14 days (if you can’t already, using the link in the original post) using this link:  https://wapo.st/3Jr9vUQ

That is useful!

Look closely, and you can see that by measures other than goods and money, we are impoverished. Look closely, and you can see that by measures other than goods and money, we are impoverished. Even the affluent live in a world where confidence in the future, and in the society and institutions around us, is fading — and where a sense of security, social connectedness, mental and physical health, and other measures of well-being are often dismal.

This is the world we live in with fossil fuel — the burning of which makes us poorer in many ways. We know that the fossil fuel industry corrodes our politics. We know that worldwide, breathing air contaminated by fossil fuel kills more than 8 million people a year and damages many more, particularly babies and children. And we know that as fossil fuel fills the upper atmosphere with carbon dioxide that destabilizes temperature and weather, it increases despair and anxiety.

This is quite different from the blurb.

The rest does not really offer that much else.

Such numbing breeds inaction, when this crisis demands specific action: a swift transition toward renewables, improved designs for the built environment, better care for the natural world in all the ways we interact with it.

The inaction is not because people think it´s bad or really complex. The inaction is very much at the government level where they speak to businesses more then people.

What we can do at the individual level is totally dwarfed by what a country can do at the national level and even more by what they all could achieve if they were actually serious about the pledges and all worked together on it.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.