Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: How Many Hours A Day Do You Sleep  (Read 7494 times)

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
How Many Hours A Day Do You Sleep
« on: December 07, 2018, 07:18:26 AM »
?

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Hours A Day Do You Sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 07:45:55 PM »
My normal sleep schedule is probably something like the below:

Fall asleep: 4AM
Wake up: 1130AM
Afternoon nap: 3PM
Wake up: 6PM
Evening nap: 9PM
Wake up: 10:30PM

On busy days I don't get my evening nap  :'(

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 11:08:46 AM »
Wow, that's 12 hours a day. I'm jealous. I'm not even capable of sleeping late, most of the time. But if I don't sleep at least 8 hours a night, I get cranky. I have a neighbour who has been sleeping 2-3 hours a night for all of her adult life. Imagine how much you could get done with those 5-6 hours extra.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 01:06:35 PM »
I sleep 4-5 hours a day, on average...

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »
Fall asleep.......
Yeah, that's almost my schedule.....asleep in the Autumn, awake in the Spring..... like da Bears!

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 10:02:54 PM »
Wow, that's 12 hours a day. I'm jealous. I'm not even capable of sleeping late, most of the time. But if I don't sleep at least 8 hours a night, I get cranky. I have a neighbour who has been sleeping 2-3 hours a night for all of her adult life. Imagine how much you could get done with those 5-6 hours extra.
I love sleeping! I also don't have a standard 9-5 so I can do what I want.

I think the idea of "doing extra" with time not spent sleeping is a bit of a fallacy. I have all the time I need to do anything extra which is actually why I just sleep more... at a certain point, what more is there to do?!

I wonder how much humans slept in the "natural state" of hunter-gatherer societies.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 03:50:07 AM »
~4 hrs/day + 4 or 5 at night.

Up by the crack of noon. :)

Terry

DaveHitz

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 04:27:21 AM »
Usually 6-7 hours. I'm thrilled if I can get 8, but usually my body wakes up sooner.

Ranman99

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 04:41:41 AM »
This was interesting. I work from home or in hotels a lot so I am also one of those 5 hours in the night and try to get a 1.5 hour nap in . More at night if I know I can't get the nap in (i.e. when I wake I try to get one more cycle instead of getting up) ;-)
😎

Pmt111500

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 05:15:21 AM »
My physical ailments usually prevent sleeps of over 5-6 hours. This then gets compensated irregularly by additional 4-5 h sleep (about once in forthnight).

silkman

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 09:39:04 AM »
Midnight to 6.15ish plus the occasional evening doze - socially acceptable at my reasonably advanced age?

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 09:41:21 AM »
Usually, not enough...
Sic transit gloria mundi

RunningChristo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »
Enough sleep is as vital as the Arctic Ice recovery during winter, not easy at all, but we hope for the best every night/winter, right?
My fancy for ice & glaciers started in 1995:-).

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 03:57:01 PM »
4-6 hours during the night, sometimes broken up by trips to the loo - prostate is 71 years old  >:(

Occasional evening naps.

Until five years ago, I rarely had more than 3 hours a night, and often worked right through. Old age is making me sleepy!
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 04:06:59 PM »
4-6 hours during the night, sometimes broken up by trips to the loo - prostate is 71 years old  >:(
Ditto. + odd days of long naps. 80 winks, not 4.
Perhaps our prostates can compare notes? On 2nd thoughts, not a good idea.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 09:42:05 PM »
Ok, is this getting a tad disturbing? 'Comparing prostates...'?   :-\  ;D
'Old age is terrible... except for the alternative...'
Sic transit gloria mundi

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 02:30:34 AM »
Old age is terrible... except for the alternative...'
Please, God, not eternal youth.  Imagine having to repeat all those mistakes (yours for you, mine for me) over and over. "Groundhog Day" without ever learning anything.

I always slept about 8 hours a night as a kid, through college and having kids of my own'[sounds a little too much like slavery - I hope they don't think that] and until about 5 years ago, and now I get 6 or 7.  I blame my wife's insomnia, but that might just be an excuse.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

magnamentis

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 09:39:06 PM »
Old age is terrible... except for the alternative...'
Please, God, not eternal youth.  Imagine having to repeat all those mistakes (yours for you, mine for me) over and over. "Groundhog Day" without ever learning anything.

I always slept about 8 hours a night as a kid, through college and having kids of my own'[sounds a little too much like slavery - I hope they don't think that] and until about 5 years ago, and now I get 6 or 7.  I blame my wife's insomnia, but that might just be an excuse.

sounds familiar ;)

yes to NO eternal life

i love life and till now even love later state (no doctor since 1989 and that was a check-up) but i won't be angry to declare the job done haha....

magnamentis

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 03:55:01 AM »
yeah so what remains is to contribute my sleeping hours ;)

i usually sleep from around 3a.m. to 10a.m that makes it 7h

if that's not possible for some reasons, with 6 hours i get along quite well for quite some time and with 5 and less hours i'm basically a corpse, hitting frames and corners and not very useful.

more than 8h i can't sleep because too much thinking going on once awake and that drives me to the coffee machine not much later than when i woke up.

most important thing IMO is to sleep when tired and get up when ready. i found out that when i had to get up at specific times for whatever reasons i either failed (during school time) and/or waking up at let's say 08:30 without alarm or at 08:25 with alarm made as much of a difference like 1h more or less sleep.

forced wake-ups and rhythm-changes are much worse than a bit more or less steady and regular sleep.

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2018, 06:42:14 PM »
'Old age is terrible... except for the alternative...'
Had a suspicion that I would NOT live to 60 (many stories there). Good thing I never was clairvoyant. Now that I am approaching 20% past the mark & can't do the physical things of my youth, I love to drive to see more of my lovely Washington state...... & sleep (hopefully not both at the same time).

RealityCheck

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2018, 07:47:48 PM »
As I once saw elsewhere: ' When my time comes I hope to die peacefully in my sleep, like my uncle. And not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus...'
Sic transit gloria mundi

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2018, 10:35:45 PM »
....forced wake-ups..... are much worse than...... steady and regular sleep.
Ah..... the reason work is so bad. No reason for bosses to be grumpy, since they can sleep while others make money for them.

magnamentis

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2018, 12:16:53 AM »
....forced wake-ups..... are much worse than...... steady and regular sleep.
Ah..... the reason work is so bad. No reason for bosses to be grumpy, since they can sleep while others make money for them.

my employees call me "our dear boss" hence i think you are right haha.... ;)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 05:20:10 AM »
I sleep about 6-7 hours at night, maybe 1-2 hrs afternoon nap.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 07:14:18 AM »
It is might be unhealthy to sleep less than 7h for a longer time.

But over 8h a day constantly is might be not healthy either.

https://www.amerisleep.com/blog/oversleeping-the-health-effects/

Edit after reading Sam's post.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:54:57 AM by b_lumenkraft »

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 08:46:44 AM »
Between 7 and 8 hours of sleep.
I go to bed at 19 á 20h and get up at 03 á 04h. I don't have an alarmclock or a job. I wake up when it's still dark (and quiet) which I think is important. Go with the flow of daylight and seasons.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 09:28:01 AM »
Nanning and i are larches. :)

Sam

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2019, 10:47:23 AM »
Sleep duration is an interesting thing.

The conventional wisdom is that all people need X number of hours a night, and that less than that destroys health. As with so much these days, the conventional wisdom assumes many wrong things, applies the wrong measures and then is applied universally with a broad brush. People are treated as if all people’s genetics and physiology is the same. They aren’t. They are also treated as if age, gender, health and nutrition were unimportant. Each is important in modifying the ‘correct’ answer.

Some people have a known particular genetic mutation in the BHLHE41 gene (rs121912617) that causes them to sleep on average 6 hours a night. They are called “Familial Natural Short Sleepers” (FNSS). Yet despite their being fully rested and in perfect health sleeping 6 hours a night, they are still classed (wrongly) as having a disorder. It isn’t a disorder. It is a fundamental difference.

Also critically important is how long each persons natural sleep cycle is. Typically, most people go to sleep fairly quickly after some short delay, then go through the classic cycle through deep REM sleep, and return to near wakefulness about 90 minutes later. They then repeat that cycle through the night, occasionally having to fully or near fully awaken to attend biological needs and return to sleep. The cycles become progressively less deep through the night.

For most people 5 or 6 cycles suffice. For some, like the FNSS, fewer cycles are needed. For others, more are needed. Breaking the last cycle and arising from mid cycle is the worst outcome. That messes with the natural circadian rhythm and hormones in deleterious ways. Doing that then creates less alertness and poorer performance, which people try to offset with stimulants. This all can then disrupt the next nights sleep.

If carried on routinely this can have serious health consequences. It is far better to forgo that last broken cycle entirely. However, lacking any knowledge of this, most people rely on alarm clocks and routinely break their last sleep cycle. It takes just a little knowledge, experience and planning to change this and to reap great benefits from doing so.

In my case, I routinely sleep 4.5 or 6 hours a night. I happen to have the FNSS mutation. I also sleep as my body needs based on health and other factors. As a result at times I sleep less. I have gone for as long as 9 months sleeping 3 hours a night, because that was all my body needed or wanted, with absolutely no deleterious effects. I have also had times that I required 9 or even 10.5 hours s night, due to illness.

Each persons natural sleep cycle is different. These are often about 90 minutes. And they tend to shorten slightly with each cycle. However, some people are quite a bit off of 90 minutes. Certain deep meditative techniques can alter the cycle length and pattern. And doing meditation during the day can reduce the amount of sleep needed.

As others have noted, our natural diurnal circadian driven clocks do not all precisely match the 24 hour clock cycle. People whose natural day is slightly longer will typically stay awake later and later each day ultimately becoming night owls. Folks whose day length is less will awaken early as their natural cortisol production kicks in, and go to bed earlier, becoming larks. 

Another factor that plays in all this is LED lighting, TVs, computers, pads, phones and other devices. All of these now emit very bright blue light. That is most often at about 452 nanometers in wavelength. And that is perfect for activating the intrinsic cells in the eye (IPGRCs) whose function it is to detect daytime, and which when activated strongly suppress melatonin production. This then prevents or at least strongly suppresses the body going to sleep. Very little blue light is needed to activate the intrinsic cells. And strong activation can have a residual suppressing effect for two to four hours after the light is gone.

This then messes with sleep which messes with immune function. The result is much poorer performance the following morning, and day, and dramatic (up to tripling) increases in hormone sensitive cancers (breast and prostate), and large increases in cardiovascular diseases, obesity, type 2 diabetes, depression, suicide and more. These in turn can then drive the body to need more sleep for maintenance and recovery.

Using any “white” (most often blue and orange actually), or blue LED devices, even at very low brightness can severely disrupt sleep. Even incandescent lamps, which have the least amount of blue, can have an impact. Fluorescent lamps are bad as well.

With the mass conversion to LED lighting globally “to save energy” street lights are also converting. Even low levels of that light entering a bedroom or sleeping area can seriously disrupt sleep. There are other severe problems beyond these impacts. In the end, these lights will likely be huge drivers for ill health, increases in deaths, and productivity losses. These will carry with them energy costs that will likely fully negate the seeming reductions from simple electrical efficiency. Unfortunately, our societies don’t measure life cycle impacts. We base almost all decisions on short term capitol expenditures, “profit” measured in particular ways, and excluding all sorts of under valued, devalued, or messy non-enumerable costs (externalities like the climate and the environment, or people’s health).

Then too, the conventional wisdom also omits what we have learned from many native cultures. Studies of these people mostly untouched by technology reveals that they often are in bed 10 hours or more, but only actually sleep 5 to 6 hours. And that is often broken into segments.

So the question about “how long do we sleep” is actually a loaded question built on a serious set of errors. How long per se is not really the right question, or even a particularly meaningful one. And the right answer for each person varies with context of all of the above, with health changes (including breathing changes leading to use of cpap’s ... ), nutrition, family context and more.

Add to that that this is not a contest. The “winner” isn’t the person who sleeps most or least. Though our society really likes to frame things that way. The winners are those people who get the right amount of sleep that their bodies need.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:54:27 AM by Sam »

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 11:08:25 AM »
I'm certainly the loser in that regard.

bligh8

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »
Ditto. + odd days of long naps. 80 winks, not 4.
Perhaps our prostates can compare notes? On 2nd thoughts, not a good idea.

Rye Grass Flower pollen extract can eliminate those extra unwanted trips to the loo.....works for me.

6-7 hrs at night + 20 winks during the day

Tried the 20 min every three hrs -for offshore sailing, I did not have enough training and it only partially worked.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2019, 02:40:54 PM »
Sam, I would think your mutation is a favorable one...you have a couple extra hours a day to do things.
Maybe in the year 12019 AD everybody will have your "disorder" (evolution in action).

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2019, 07:05:10 PM »
If you have never quite fit as a "morning person" or "evening person", a new study (n=1,305) suggests two new chronotypes, the "napper" and "afternoon". Nappers are sleepier in the afternoon than the morning or evening, while afternoon types are sleepy both in the morning and evening.

Link >> https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/social-instincts/201906/are-you-morning-person-night-person-or-neither

forkyfork

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2019, 08:13:41 PM »
8 and if i don't i feel like garbage

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 10:55:48 PM »
As much as I can whenever I can , usually 10:30 / 11 pm to 5 / 5:30 am..

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2019, 12:50:15 AM »
Today I slept 2 hours, barely.

Tunnelforce9

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2019, 03:01:00 AM »
You should all sleep at least 7 hours a day. (continuous.)
It takes that long to clean waste residu from your brain.

Matthew Walker is Professor of Neuroscience and Psychology at the University of California, Berkeley, and Founder and Director of the Center for Human Sleep Science