Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Immortality  (Read 8736 times)

Nemesis

Re: Immortality
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2018, 11:27:26 PM »
@oren, magnamentis

Yawn.

@Tim

I gotta have to say a little more, later.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3950
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2018, 12:14:41 AM »
Tim, just to clarify, I think a discussion of the desire of immortality and its implications could be interesting, especially as it pertains to carrying capacity issues. But I think this particular thread has quickly degenerated to a (mostly one person's) discussion of something else, I'm not sure what. I still tried to hold myself from sticking my nose in it, but I guess boredom won.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2018, 03:18:25 AM »
"civilized culture all around the world could certainly do with some (non metaphysical) soul searching to see why it is they hold some of the assumptions that this now worldwide culture does, and how common some of those hidden premises actually are, and where they actually came from, and when, and why, and what problems that causes that show up in the anthropological footprint over and over again wherever civilization has gone"

Yes, to me, too, this seems about the most important activity to be engaged in, but I rarely come across it, and when I bring it up, I tend to get similar responses (and non-responses).

Are there any fora where you have been more successful in sparking a meaningful dialogue along these lines, and are there any resources you could recommend for those interested in pursuing it?
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2018, 05:09:46 AM »
Thanks, Tim. Have read and taught Ishmael many times. I agree that it's essential, if not perfect (what is?)

Eager to check out Forbes.

And I'm perfectly happy with 'obscure'! :)
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Nemesis

« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »
Uh, I drank too much red wine last night at some party, my head feels like exploding, haha.

Just a thought for today:

When you reduce human beings to sheer animals heading to materialistic nothingness at the end of their short lives, you will get real Monsters, muhahaha. Not that I have any problems with these kind of beasts, as I got nothing to lose anway :) ... but don't expect any change for the better with this kind of "philosophy".

<snip, no zombie pictures or other gore, thanks; N.>
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:11:14 PM by Neven »

Nemesis

« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2018, 02:18:09 PM »
 :D

magnamentis

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2019, 02:30:42 AM »
generally speaking we have to distinguish between:

a) body (physical entity)

b) spirit ( the energetic part that makes and individual him/her)

as to (b) we are already immortal and as to (a) we shall never be immortal, hence kind end of topic or change of tite is needed.

happy new year @all

Nemesis

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2019, 03:31:24 AM »
@Tim

" Wow, Nemesis, you're quite the bigot toward nature..."

Aha, I see. So you are completely right and I'm just a fucking bigot, end of story. Cool, spares a lot of my precious time.

So I close this thread, bye   :D