Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Congrats to Zach Labe on his presentation award  (Read 4144 times)

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 332
Congrats to Zach Labe on his presentation award
« on: January 14, 2019, 10:16:09 PM »
Zach's dissertation research is going well and he's already getting recognition for his work. Congrats, Zach.

https://twitter.com/DrAHButler/status/1084893678198386688

Happy to announce the AMS Middle Atmosphere 2019 Outstanding student presentation winners: Leong Wai Siu, Zachary Labe (@ZLabe), Jessica Oehrlein (@numberdance), Wanying Kang, Zane Martin, and Katia Lezine. @ametsoc #AMS2019.

Zach is doing research related to sudden stratospheric warmings - a complex and interesting topic. The SSW that started just before Christmas is working its way down from the stratosphere and is going to be bringing cold and snowy weather to the eastern U.S. and western Europe for at least the next 6 weeks and possibly through March.

There may be links between Arctic sea ice and SSWs but Zach would be the person who might be able to explain those links, not me.

Niall Dollard

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 460
  • Likes Given: 117
Re: Congrats to Zach Labe on his presentation award
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 12:00:56 AM »

Zach is doing research related to sudden stratospheric warmings - a complex and interesting topic. The SSW that started just before Christmas is working its way down from the stratosphere and is going to be bringing cold and snowy weather to the eastern U.S. and western Europe for at least the next 6 weeks and possibly through March.

There may be links between Arctic sea ice and SSWs but Zach would be the person who might be able to explain those links, not me.

That's a big statement FOoW (the boldened part). I wonder who are you quoting from or is it meant to be just a casual remark ?

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 05:18:54 AM »
I wrote about the SSW before Christmas over at DailyKos. I'm following some of the experts on twitter & elsewhere and also doing my own analysis of the prognostic tools. There's going to be a major snowstorm this weekend that goes from the plains through the midwest into New England, then a series of cold air outbreaks will follow.

The forecast I made before Christmas is verifying. Obviously, long term forecasts are generalized, but it's verifying for the reasons I gave. Judah Cohen should have a new blog post up soon on his forecast.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 07:42:13 AM »
Keep up the good work, Zack!
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 01:55:42 PM »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 02:34:18 PM »
Keep up the good work, Zack!
+1
I have always been consumed with envy on the work posted by Zack in this forum and on his website, both in its content (that also shows his total grasp of the subject) and the clarity of its presentation. The scientific community needs more communicators like him.

May my envy continue unabated and grow into outright jealousy.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 03:50:08 PM »
I am so glad that there's a very talented younger generation that's stepping up because it gives me hope that all is not lost. Zach has a rare combination of skills - he's excellent at math and physics, he's excellent with graphics and he's excellent at communicating.