Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Change your mind - Build - Share - Evolve  (Read 63506 times)

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Change your mind - Build - Share - Evolve
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2015, 08:16:17 PM »
We Need To Talk: Lauren Singer On Creating No Waste For Over Two Years

The blog she is talking about :
http://www.zerowastehome.com/

(I make my toothpaste with 30%baking soda, 30% sea salt, 30%fine clay + water...works fine)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:30:12 PM by Laurent »

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2015, 08:47:52 PM »
Water Gandhi

'Water man of India' Rajendra Singh bags top priz
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32002306

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1166
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2015, 04:40:13 PM »
The Science Of Why You Should Spend Your Money On Experiences, Not Things.
You don't have infinite money. Spend it on stuff that research says makes you happy.

"Our experiences are a bigger part of ourselves than our material goods," says Gilovich. "You can really like your material stuff. You can even think that part of your identity is connected to those things, but nonetheless they remain separate from you. In contrast, your experiences really are part of you. We are the sum total of our experiences."
http://www.fastcoexist.com/3043858/world-changing-ideas/the-science-of-why-you-should-spend-your-money-on-experiences-not-thing
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1339
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2015, 09:24:20 PM »
The Science Of Why You Should Spend Your Money On Experiences, Not Things.
You don't have infinite money. Spend it on stuff that research says makes you happy.

"Our experiences are a bigger part of ourselves than our material goods," says Gilovich. "You can really like your material stuff. You can even think that part of your identity is connected to those things, but nonetheless they remain separate from you. In contrast, your experiences really are part of you. We are the sum total of our experiences."

Whether things or sought after experiences are part of your identity, it's all the same, and it's all conditioned consumer culture. I can recommend watching this documentary called The Century of the Self to see how all that has come about.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »
Neven,

Your linked program is quite disturbing -- but was too Hitler-y and felt almost conspiracy-theorist in tone to me.  Perhaps it resonates more with Europeans?

In any case, the personal enrichment from a walk in the woods, or learning to play a new song, or doing volunteer work... they might be culturally influenced, but I would hardly call such experiences consumer-based.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2015, 06:40:22 PM »
Too Hitler-y? What's that even suppose to mean?  :D

Perhaps it resonates more with Europeans?
Nah, I think it resonates quite universally with anyone interested in learning how consumer culture came about. It doesn't resonate with people who think it's the high point of human history, because they by chance happen to live on the winning side.

In any case, the personal enrichment from a walk in the woods, or learning to play a new song, or doing volunteer work... they might be culturally influenced, but I would hardly call such experiences consumer-based.
That's not what the article is about. Just look at the title: The Science Of Why You Should Spend Your Money On Experiences, Not Things. You're talking about things that are free. They are talking about buying experiences instead of buying things. I was surprised they didn't say that buying experiences and then letting everyone know via Twitter and Facebook, made you even happier, or look happier.

And then look at these cool images, accompanying the article:

And then the scientist says this:

Basically, he says that it's better to base your identity on some things than other things. It's like saying that cutting your leg off below the knee is better than cutting your whole leg off.

Spend money on the experiences rather than the material stuff, never assume that basing your identity on the stuff you buy or do is an illusion that is being forced on you by consumer culture from birth onwards. It's all ego, and you will never find true happiness pursuing those things, whether you buy them or do them and then self-consciously talk/tweet about them to others.

Just look at those comments below the article:

I have been traveling, experiencing, living my life 6 months at a time for almost 2 years now. It has been worth much more than the salary that i have forfeited to pursue this lifestyle.

Read a bit about my journey at http://adambhighfill.com

(...)

I agree whole heartedly! I sold everything, started traveling and have gained the world! Things can be lost or taken away. Experiences are yours forever. I just wrote a new post about my journey on http://lifepart2.com

(...)

Traveling is like a virus,wanna try to stop but keep insisting my curiosity to explore another one for "once in a life time" reason. It's really open my mind and build my maturity with my experiences that I got.

(...)

I have tried sky diving and para gliding in Mauritius. OMG ! its just amazing. One should never miss on such breath taking experiences. I am an enthused person and love such adventurous experiences. I love travelling and exploring the globe. I enjoy such adventurous activites during my travel to different global destinations. I read Conde Nast Traveller http://bit.ly/PntxlQ to know more about exotic and interesting travel destinations and in depth info.

(...)

Things get old, outdated and lose value. You will always remember your trip to Greece, or horsebackriding on the beach, or a fantastic sailing trip. They make for great stories too- and interesting things are learned. Things you can only point to and say "See that car?? thats my car I bought that" big deal.... experiences are way better. If you look at the wealthy, they always go for the experiences instead of the "things": snorkeling, mountain climbing... only lotto winners buy "things".
Look at the wealthy, look at the 1%, OMG, they're awesome.  ;D

This is all ego talking, and it's relentlessly promoted by consumer culture and everyone who can't see through it. That Hitler-y documentary explains how all it came about. The past century was The Century of the Self, because ego sells. This was my point.

The topic is called Change your mind - Build - Share- Evolve. You don't do that by bungee-jumping, hiking through Cambodia or going to Disney World. But I guess this doesn't resonate with conditioned Americans.  ;D
The enemy is within

E. Smith

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »
"this doesn't resonate with conditioned Americans."

It does with me, but I'm afraid I'm not a terribly typical Amurikan. :o
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2015, 08:06:40 PM »
Also from the article:
So rather than buying the latest iPhone or a new BMW, Gilovich suggests you'll get more happiness spending money on experiences like going to art exhibits, doing outdoor activities, learning a new skill, or traveling.
I live in an area where limited wealth overwhelmingly precludes the fancy “1%” experiences.  Spending a couple dollars "travelling" to the next town over, to attend an annual festival, is the height of a luxury experience.  More Americans live more simply than perhaps you imagine -- they don't post on Facebook a lot.  And "ego" comes in many different flavors. :)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2015, 11:04:14 PM »
I live in an area where limited wealth overwhelmingly precludes the fancy “1%” experiences.  Spending a couple dollars "travelling" to the next town over, to attend an annual festival, is the height of a luxury experience.  More Americans live more simply than perhaps you imagine -- they don't post on Facebook a lot.

I'm sure there are Americans who have a footprint that's smaller than average, but again, that's not what the article is about. My grandma could've told you that owning and buying stuff won't make you happy. The article is about how you get happier from pursuing another flavour of consumer culture illusion. Building your identity on what you do, not on what you have, is muuuuuccchhh better.

But as any philosopher can tell you, if you don't think about what you do, why you do it and what the consequences of your actions are, you're just looking at the shadows on the wall. And that can never, ever lead to true happiness.

And "ego" comes in many different flavors. :)

Naturally, but if I'm going to have to pick, I'll take the ego that's not been conditioned by consumer culture (as the Hitler-y documentary by one of the best British documentary directors of all time shows) to destroy a livable planet.

Look, Sigmetnow, you post great links to positive stories, and I really appreciate that, but this last one sucked because it looked positive, but was actually highly negative and depressing.  :)
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2015, 03:16:54 PM »
So, Neven, you found my link depressing, and I found your documentary disturbing. 
I guess that makes us about even.  ;)

We may have lost sight of the over-arching message (at least, the one I was hoping to convey):

- There are benefits to decreasing your materialism.  Besides the well-worn "decrease your footprint, help save the planet's resources," here is evidence that not only is it good for you, but opting for non-material experiences makes you feel better. 
Win-win-win.

- Enriching yourself via experiences can take the form of what you see in the glossy brochures and exciting commercials -- or, it can be a simple personal journey with special meaning for you.

In sum:
1) Be less materialistic by choosing experiences instead.
2) Discover that choosing non-commercial experiences can be equally or more rewarding than commercial ones.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »
Which my grandma could've told you.  ;D

If we would only listen to her!
The enemy is within

E. Smith

SATire

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2015, 03:57:34 PM »
Some literature on "grow?  prosper! (I hope I translated "gedeihen" good enough...)" suggested here: http://www.zeit.de/2015/11/wachstum-fortschritt-wirtschaft-alternativen

* Pierre Rabhi, "La sobrietà felice (Glückliche Genügsamkeit)"

* Marcel Hänggi, http://www.zeit.de/2014/15/schweiz-wirtschaft-wachstum-umwelt-verzicht

* Alberto Acosta, "Buen vivir"

Grandmother told us and now we know that she was right. As always such simple insights take extra long time - just because we did not like that and preferred to play Nintendo and did not enjoy listening to old people...
We do not need brown or green BAU but "Grandmothers BAU" - which is becoming cool mainstream today.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:08:00 PM by SATire »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »
Almonds have gotten a lot of bad press lately because of their water requirements.  But:
I've always found it a bit perverse that SUVs get so much of the blame for global warming and steakhouses get so little. In terms of global emissions, meat consumption is a much bigger deal than Land Rovers — indeed, a UN report found agriculture is a bigger contributor to global warming than transportation.

And that's good news, in a way. It's much easier for someone to choose to eat a bowl of spaghetti for dinner, or to go meatless on Mondays and Wednesdays, than to change their car or find a job that doesn't require a long commute. Yet the environmental movement is comfortable shaming people for their driving choices in a way it would never shame them for their food choices.
But a key point here is that in terms of greenhouse gas emissions and water use, you can make a huge difference by eating less meat, even if you don't go full vegetarian. If everyone in developed countries cut their meat consumption by half, that would be a much bigger deal than if 5 percent of the population went entirely vegetarian. So don't let the fact that you don't want to go all the way keep you from going some of the way.

http://www.vox.com/2015/4/10/8382165/the-environmental-case-for-eating-vegetarian-in-one-sentence

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2015, 05:26:49 PM »
Not just in California.
New tool for choosing plants appropriate to your locale to be available from U.S. Forest Service in 2016. 

I love the photos in the article -- who wouldn't choose the non-green-lawn look?

Redefining Curb Appeal
Homeowners are recognizing the value of replacing front lawns with native plants.
Replacing lawns with native plants may seem unconventional, but it can pay off—both for homeowners and for wildlife. According to the National Association of REALTORS®, planting native species can improve the curb appeal of a home, boost its resale value and decrease its time on the market. In addition, native flowers and shrubs provide vital habitat for birds, insect pollinators and many other species. Yet convincing homeowners to make the switch can be a tough sell, mainly because of the perception that lawns are elegant while natives are sloppy.
http://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazines/National-Wildlife/Gardening/Archives/2015/Redefining-Curb-Appeal.aspx

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2015, 09:59:16 PM »
Veggie garden in the front yard!
"Give peas a chance."  ;)
http://climate.nasa.gov/blog/2272

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2015, 12:03:23 AM »
A solar system diy

http://inhabitat.com/gosol-could-be-the-key-to-no-cost-solar-heat-around-the-world/

Personnaly I find it dangerous as it is, I would prefer a smaller system but good initiative anyway.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2015, 02:09:25 PM »