Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 32608 times)

KiwiGriff

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #950 on: November 20, 2019, 09:53:40 PM »
New US Volkswagen ev plant starts building .
Ceremonial shovels will hit the dirt near Chattanooga on Wednesday as Volkswagen gets to work building an EV plant that will eventually churn out their new “I.D.” line of electric cars,,
Snip
 (the) I.D. Crozz, an all-electric crossover that will likely take aim at the Tesla Model Y crossover SUV, which is due out in 2021.

However, the timeline related to the new Volkswagen facility is interesting. While plans for the VW plant were announced in January, it’s taken until now to even get to the groundbreaking. Meanwhile, Tesla built the Shanghai facility and has it essentially up and running in the same amount of time. Clearly, the process to build such a facility in the U.S. is much more complicated than in China, but time is time, and while VW, Mercedes and BMW have been planning, Tesla has been doing. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Volkswagen to build an EV plant in America while Tesla does the same in Germany. On your mark...

It will keep us amused watching the race to build these plants over the next year or two  ;)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billroberson/2019/11/13/electric-vehicle-efforts-kick-into-high-gear-with-big-news-from-tesla-volkswagen-chinas-byd/#5149fc6e7947

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 469
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #951 on: November 20, 2019, 09:58:00 PM »
LA Auto Show: Volkswagen says EV tipping point is in sight
Choosing the right segment for the US market introduction is also important. While VW will sell the all-electric ID3 in Europe in summer 2020, the small hatch is not coming to the United States. VW told us that there are 35,000 reservations for ID3 in Europe, but the hatchback segment is not popular in the US.

That’s why the company’s new wave of EVs will start with the ID Crozz in America by the end of 2020. It’s an indication that Volkswagen wants high volumes for its EVs.

However, some things are certain with VW EVs. The range will be between 200 and 300 miles, even though consumers unfamiliar with EVs say they want more in surveys. And VW electric cars will be offered in all 50 states. Nearly [every] (but not all) dealerships will offer EVs, although it requires a commitment to training and installing charging. …
https://electrek.co/2019/11/20/la-auto-show-volkswagen-says-ev-tipping-point-is-in-sight/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #952 on: November 20, 2019, 10:05:42 PM »
Bruce, I don't think Sig is claiming that EV adoption will not use the grid at all. He's simply saying that EV charging will not necessarily overload the grid, especially for homes with solar. 

I commend you for your attempts to use as little grid power as possible. In my case, Ohio has net metering, so nighttime charging is offset with daytime solar. So far, my 4.5 kW system is compensating for charging two EVs, and my grid usage is back to the ~12 kWh/day that I was pulling before I bought any solar panels or EVs. But winter is coming up, and I probably will be pulling close to double what I used to from the grid in December and January - due to reduced solar production and EVs being inefficient in the cold. I'd like to add some more panels, but that won't help my winter deficit. Powerwalls wouldn't help either - with or without EVs.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: November 20, 2019, 10:23:18 PM »
Sig, It is amazing how two different people can look at the same chart and see two different things. As per your graph post# 940. What I see is a house that in the winter is using 30kW plus another 10kW for their EV. All that power is coming from the grid and we know nothing about the energy mix renewable/ fossil fuel.  OK during summer their 6 kW panels are covering 30 kW of their 40 kW daily use ( EV + house ) . But they are still pulling 10 kW from the grid even under the best solar performance.

I guess we are reading the chart differently!  The data-provider is from Virginia.  There is no EV+Home-without-solar data (green) provided for the winter months of October through January.  For the other months, Home-With-EV usage (green) is 5 to 10 kWh more than the previous year without an EV (red) — about 1/3 more (the same as my earlier attempt at an average calculation ended up with, coincidence or not).

With solar, home and an EV (yellow) daily grid use was no more than the pre-EV (red) use had been in January, and as available solar increased during the summer months, grid use declined to between 10-15 kWh a day.

The poster wrote about increased electric bills this way: “As you can see, our electricity consumption went up about 10 kWh per day most months (less in summer due to not driving kids to school).”

When I posted about Tesla’s solar webpages, I also recommended three Powerwalls if you have an EV.

Many edits later:  I’ll attach the graph again, for ease of reference:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:07:14 PM by Sigmetnow »

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1544
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #954 on: November 20, 2019, 11:52:58 PM »
Re post above.

Virginia is at about latitude 37.5 North. So even in winter some solar power. Looks like enough to charge up his Tesla. In summer a much lower drain on the grid - i.e. lower electricity bills. OK, not a solution for off-grid. But looks like a pretty good deal to me.

And as the years go by .....
- grid power will be greener & maybe even a bit cheaper.
- Probably better photovoltaics to boost winter power capture.
- battery storage will probably be a lot cheaper,
- battery WH per Kg will be higher so EVs will be lighter and/or with longer range.

So by 2030 we might regard today's leading edge solutions as up-to-date as a Model T Ford.
Even today the constraint is not technology, it is the inertia of Governments & businesses (& individuals) amplified by lobbying by the fossil fuel and automobile industry.

(and the vast sums of money from the fossil fuel industries has been pissed against the wall - except by Norway & Qatar- and recently - but maybe too late - Saudi Arabia. Alaska's fund is just about gone as well).

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

KiwiGriff

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #955 on: Today at 01:25:10 AM »
sedziobs
I would check with a knowledgeable  local installer.
Some grid tye inverts can be over driven by as much as 50% and the cost of adding more panels is very little compered to the cost of the entire system .
Adding more panels in such a case will not  increase you peak generation during the middle of the day but it will make a great deal of difference off peak and in winter.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: Today at 04:14:33 AM »
—-  Major ICE vehicle suppliers are failing

Ford, FCA supplier faces insolvency; production of several models threatened
Gill Corp., a western Michigan stamping company that produces parts used by several automakers, is facing a financial insolvency that could result in an interruption of shipments to Ford, Fiat Chrysler and Toyota, according to a lawsuit filed by a key customer.

Gill manufactures component parts that Benteler incorporates into exhaust-system assemblies used in the production of the Chrysler Pacifica and Dodge Caravan minivans, the Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator, Ford Mustang and Toyota Corolla, according to court documents obtained by MiBiz.

The lawsuit in Grand Rapids alleges Gill told Benteler that it was insolvent and "had entered into a short-term forbearance agreement with its lender and was in the process of selling off its plants and operations," MiBiz reports.

Benteler, based in Paderborn, Germany, ranks No. 34 on the Automotive News list of the top 100 global suppliers with worldwide sales to automakers of $8.1 billion in 2018. About 18 percent of the company's business is generated in North America.

This is the second major financial crisis that has gone public this month in the automotive supply chain. India-owned parts supplier Sakthi Automotive likely will liquidate its assets and shutter its operations in Detroit barring the emergence of a buyer, according to documents filed this month in U.S. District Court in Detroit. ...
https://www.autonews.com/suppliers/ford-fca-supplier-faces-insolvency-production-several-models-threatened

——
Alexa St. John (@alexa_stjohn) 11/20/19, 12:17 PM
GM lawsuit accuses FCA of labor racketeering autonews.com/manufacturing/… via @Automotive_News
https://twitter.com/alexa_stjohn/status/1197202394083405825