Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Hurricane Season 2019  (Read 5267 times)

Rodius

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Hurricane Season 2019
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2019, 01:05:19 AM »
@Rodius
Sorry, didn't mean to make it personal. I've been following Fani with my heart in my mouth, those poor people, and saw quite a bit of discussion about the Florida thing on the same board (link above, which is useful to those who want more information).

I agree, the general trend towards earlier and later is ominous ...

Another knock-on, though I don't comprehend the scientific part, is that since cyclonic activity is a way of venting excess heat both north and vertically, it's a problem that increases polar melt over time. I am absolutely fascinated by the interlocking systems.

Thanks for your reply.

I wasnt taking it personally, I also watch the hurricanes hit these regions and see the death and destruction happening and ignored by Western media as a basic rule and it boggles my mind that it is roundly ignored after a few days while millions will spend years recuperating or dying from disease, starvation and what will likely be violence on top of it all. Poor parts of the world get hit hardest first..... the rest of us will follow suit when the environment refuses to provide for our needs. Money only buys time at the expense of those who dont have it, not much else.

Even so, large events take up space while the smaller, quieter ones can be missed yet, in a big picture, they can mean just as much as the big current events.

Like you, the science aspect is a learning curve and it is intertwined and it is fascinating and terrifying at the same time.

b_lumenkraft

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 986
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2019, 11:08:13 AM »
A million people evacuated from South Asia cyclone Fani

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 631
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2019, 06:26:26 PM »
Most of Odisha (Orissa) is a very low-lying flood plain forming the southern end of the huge delta(s) that form(s) most of Bangladesh and West Bengal.

There is a huge system of bunds and water channels mostly dating from not just the British Raj but from long before that and developed further after indpendence in 1947. When I was there finding the money to maintain the system was a problem. It probably still is.

Who knows what the short and long-term effects of the storm surge and 300 mm of rainfall will be. More significant than the headlines of wind damage and immediate deaths.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Alexander555

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 32