Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: War, War, War  (Read 382842 times)

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 651
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: War, War, War
« Reply #8550 on: April 18, 2024, 01:51:01 AM »
On my phone, the link works fine, it's about an UK-Palestinian bi national that was invited at a conference and wasn't allowed in the country.
Israeli are not as stupid as you think, they won't support Netanyahu & Co forever, look how the Germans stopped supporting Hitler around 1945. If Biden would have delayed weapons deliveries a few days and wouldn't always repeat that he fully support Netanyahu & Co, it might be enough for some people to get smarter.

Hmmm... so people stopped supporting Hitler as soon as it was obvious they had lost the war. That isn't very encouraging when thinking about how the masses decide who to follow.

I wonder how long it will take for US citizens to realise they are on the wrong side. Probably just before the collapse of their country.

johnm33

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #8551 on: April 18, 2024, 10:16:21 AM »
Michael Hudson lays out the gameplan

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8552 on: April 18, 2024, 05:18:07 PM »
Iran may alter nuclear doctrine amid Israeli threats to nuclear plants

A senior official in Iran's IRGC says that the Islamic Republic will repel any Israeli aggression on its nuclear facilities and deliver a response.
https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/iran-may-alter-nuclear-doctrine-amid-israeli-threats-to-nucl
Where is reality? Can you show it to me? - Heinz von Foerster

John_the_Younger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #8553 on: April 18, 2024, 07:24:35 PM »
I wonder how long it will take for US citizens to realise they are on the wrong side. Probably just before the collapse of their country.
For some it will be long after the collapse, because the collapse will be seen as a feature, not a flaw.  You've heard of survivalists?  We've got a few states half-full of them.

cognitivebias2

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 103
« Reply #8554 on: April 18, 2024, 08:56:21 PM »
This talk of the demise of the western 'empire' goes on and on unchecked here in this little echo chamber. 

If there was a place to bet (I'm sure there is, you can bet on anything) on hegemon 2030 or 2035. my money goes on a US led coalition.  This despite all the anticipatory bloviation on the impending demise to be found here.

squilliam

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8555 on: April 19, 2024, 01:05:36 AM »
It appears likely that Ukraine/Israel will get their funding: https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/17/politics/ukraine-israel-foreign-aid-bill/index.html

Nearly $61 billion for Ukraine
One of the bills would provide a total of nearly $61 billion to assist Ukraine and others in the region fight Russia – about the same that was included in the Senate bill.

Of that total, about $23 billion would be used to replenish US weapons, stockpiles and facilities, and more than $11 billion would fund current US military operations in the region.

Nearly $14 billion included in the bill would help Ukraine buy advanced weapons systems and other defense equipment.

More than $26 billion for Israel
The House package would provide $26.4 billion to aid Israel, specifying that the funds are to support “its effort to defend itself against Iran and its proxies, and to reimburse US military operations in response to recent attacks,” according to a summary of the legislation.

The funding includes $4 billion for the Iron Dome and David’s Sling missile defense systems and $1.2 billion for the Iron Beam defense system, which counters short-range rockets and mortar threats.

I guess we can assume both measures are likely to pass. I don't however see how this stupid conflict is ever going to end because Russia appears at least as stubborn as the West, and neither side looks likely to capitulate after 'investing' so much into this war.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8556 on: April 19, 2024, 02:46:54 AM »
This talk of the demise of the western 'empire' goes on and on unchecked here in this little echo chamber. 

If there was a place to bet (I'm sure there is, you can bet on anything) on hegemon 2030 or 2035. my money goes on a US led coalition.  This despite all the anticipatory bloviation on the impending demise to be found here.

At best, the global situation will be multi polar with the US/West not being the biggest player.

As for echo chambers... the world is full of US echo chambers, having a little one bounce around that isn't US inspired is refreshing

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8557 on: April 19, 2024, 03:00:26 AM »
For some it will be long after the collapse, because the collapse will be seen as a feature, not a flaw.  You've heard of survivalists?  We've got a few states half-full of them.

It is amusing to me that the US rants on about how survivalists etc would make the US hard to defeat on land.... as if they are the only country to be like that.

The civilian population in almost every country is as capable as US citizens. And many other countries have the experience required to be effective in such actions, something the US lacks because it is nearly impossible to attack US soil because of the huge oceans on each side.

Anyone who wants to land forces on US soil has far bigger problems than the civilian population kickback.... and for that reason, the most likely way to successfully defeat the US is via nuclear weapons.

And should that happen, those survivalists will be too busy fighting each other over limited resources to make an effective force for an invading army... assuming they would even bother.

The power of the US are the oceans, their naval forces, and nukes. Beyond that, I consider the US as having a soft belly.

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8558 on: April 19, 2024, 03:41:41 AM »
it's begun... here we go. the supremacist lunatics have done it.

Futures Tumble, Oil And Gold Soar On Reports Of "Huge Explosions" In Central Iran, Israeli Airstrikes In Iraq And Syria
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/futures-tumble-oil-and-gold-soar-reports-huge-explosions-central-iran-israeli-airstrikes

"And just like that, Israel - having once again ignored Biden's pleadings not to escalate the already tense situation - is retaliating against Iran's weekend strike.

Moments ago futures dumped, oil prices spiked, and treasury yields slumped amid social media reports and Reuters headlines that there have been three "huge explosions" near the central Iran cities of Natanz (location of an Iranian nuclear power plant) and Isfahan (location of the Iranian Nuclear Technology Center which is suspected of being the center of Iran's nuclear weapons program), as well as simultaneous explosions in Iraq and Syria, where the Israel air force appears to be targeting pro-Iranian militias.

IRANIAN MEDIA: 3 HUGE EXPLOSIONS WERE HEARD IN ISFAHAN, SOUTH OF TEHRAN
JERUSALEM POST: SIMULTANEOUS EXPLOSIONS REPORTED IN IRAN, SYRIA, AND IRAQ ACCORDING TO INITIAL REPORTS
While things are still fluid, US officials seem to be confirming that an Israeli strike has hit a site in Iran."

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8559 on: April 19, 2024, 04:14:06 AM »
Israel-Gaza live updates: Israel retaliates against Iran, US official says
https://abcnews.go.com/International/live-updates/israel-gaza-hamas-war/?id=108860743

"Israel, early Friday morning local time, launched missiles in a retaliatory strike against Iran, a senior U.S. official told ABC News.

The missile launches follow Iran's attack last Saturday, where the country sent a volley of more than 300 uncrewed drones and missiles toward targets throughout the country, Israeli military officials previously said. All but a few were intercepted by Israel and its allies, including the United States, officials said.

Iran's attack came more than six months after Hamas terrorists invaded Israel on Oct. 7, after which the Israeli military began its bombardment of the Gaza Strip.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and the country's war cabinet have met several times since the Iran strikes, and as ABC News previously reported, at least two strikes were previously aborted."

zenith

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8560 on: April 19, 2024, 05:01:16 AM »
LIVE: Israel launches missile attack on Isfahan in response to Iran assault
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2024/4/19/live-israel-launches-missile-attack-in-response-to-iran-assault

- Explosions at military-linked sites in Syria
Iran’s official IRNA news agency has said a series of explosions in Syria targeted military sites.

IRNA said attacks struck “Adra” and “Al-Thala” military airport and a radar battalion located between the city of “Adra” and the village of “Qarfa” in southern Syria.

In Iraq, meanwhile, explosions were reported in the al-Imam area of Babel.

- Alert sirens activated in northern Israel
The Israeli military is saying alert sirens have been activated in northern Israel.

johnm33

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8561 on: April 19, 2024, 10:14:19 AM »
The power of the US are the oceans, their naval forces, and nukes. Beyond that, I consider the US as having a soft belly.
Since the deployment of posiedon torpedoes, two of which could create real estate opportunities from Martha's Vineyard to Virginia beach for up to 200km inland, the oceans have become the US's weakness.
It's far cheaper for Russia to keep 6 of these operational and deployed than to establish armies and missile systems in Canada, Mexico, Cuba or Venezuala, plus they have planned deployments of subs with tens of hypersonic missiles which could strike any target within continental NAm. from the middle of it's three surrounding oceans. It's such a fucking miserable outcome to what could have been an age of peace and prosperity when the Russians, as the primaries in the USSR, asked for western assistance to reform their economy and join the 'free world [sarc]' 35 years ago.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8562 on: April 19, 2024, 03:01:51 PM »
Since the deployment of posiedon torpedoes, two of which could create real estate opportunities from Martha's Vineyard to Virginia beach for up to 200km inland, the oceans have become the US's weakness.
It's far cheaper for Russia to keep 6 of these operational and deployed than to establish armies and missile systems in Canada, Mexico, Cuba or Venezuala, plus they have planned deployments of subs with tens of hypersonic missiles which could strike any target within continental NAm. from the middle of it's three surrounding oceans. It's such a fucking miserable outcome to what could have been an age of peace and prosperity when the Russians, as the primaries in the USSR, asked for western assistance to reform their economy and join the 'free world [sarc]' 35 years ago.

Yeah... excluding Russia was a lost opportunity for a better world. And for what?

You have a decent point on the ocean advantage. The US seems to be pivoting toward missiles and drones.
I don't think it will work for them though... I guess we will find out in the coming decade.

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #8563 on: April 19, 2024, 06:07:23 PM »
interesting point.  Apparently Iran has some sway over its neighbors and has prevented U.S. military operations against Iran from them.

even more interesting is is take on zionism, being a Jew, he states that zionism is a fascist form of nationalism that is actually the negation of Judaism.  His view of Judaism is rational, scholarly and morally based.  He says that zionism is the antithesis of these things, hence the negation of what Judaism is.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 06:35:53 PM by jai mitchell »
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
are not tri-color bar graphs
+3C today

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8564 on: April 19, 2024, 08:21:30 PM »
I wanted to learn more about Chas Freeman and boy did I ever.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2009/03/freeman-affair/

Numerous reporters, including Max Blumenthal at the Daily Beast website and Spencer Ackerman of Firedoglake, have effectively documented the role of the Israel lobby, including AIPAC, in sabotaging Freeman’s appointment. From their accounts and others, it seems clear that the lobby left its fingerprints all over Freeman’s National Intelligence Council corpse. (Indeed, Time’s Joe Klein described the attack on Freeman as an “assassination,” adding that the term “lobby” doesn’t do justice to the methods of the various lobbying groups, individuals, and publications: “He was the victim of a mob, not a lobby. The mob was composed primarily of Jewish neoconservatives.”)
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 380
« Reply #8565 on: April 19, 2024, 08:46:49 PM »
ROFL
Russian Wunderwaffe.
The laws of physics disagree with this nonsense.
Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: April 20, 2024, 01:34:41 AM »
ROFL
Russian Wunderwaffe.

https://thebulletin.org/2023/06/one-nuclear-armed-poseidon-torpedo-could-decimate-a-coastal-city-russia-wants-30-of-them/

Russia’s Poseidon—also known in the United States as Kanyon, Ocean Multipurpose System, and Status-6—was first revealed by the Russian Navy in 2015 and reportedly tested for the first time in November 2016. The torpedo—a nuclear-powered underwater drone equipped with nuclear weapons—is designed to be launched from submarines. The first Poseidon is expected to be deployed by 2027.

Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

cognitivebias2

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8567 on: April 20, 2024, 03:19:20 AM »
ROFL
Russian Wunderwaffe.

https://thebulletin.org/2023/06/one-nuclear-armed-poseidon-torpedo-could-decimate-a-coastal-city-russia-wants-30-of-them/

Russia’s Poseidon—also known in the United States as Kanyon, Ocean Multipurpose System, and Status-6—was first revealed by the Russian Navy in 2015 and reportedly tested for the first time in November 2016. The torpedo—a nuclear-powered underwater drone equipped with nuclear weapons—is designed to be launched from submarines. The first Poseidon is expected to be deployed by 2027.

Wait, these are not even real yet?  IIRC, mutually assured destruction has been a thing since the cold war.

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: April 20, 2024, 03:40:07 AM »
meh, not sure, no reason for them to be nuclear can't imagine how they make that work in a propulsion system for operations longer than a few days.  The supposed speeds make them incredibly noisy.  None of this seems realistic.  Nuclear tipped massive torpedoes are completely possible.  But hey, so are the thousands of nuclear tipped ICBMs that still exist all over the world.

Including the 200 or so that Israel has and the 2 or 3 that Iran has (with any number of "dirty" bomb ballistic missiles they can launch at any moment).
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

johnm33

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8569 on: April 20, 2024, 10:23:42 AM »
The Russian Navy is also building submarines specially configured to carry a new nuclear-powered, long-range, nuclear-armed torpedo called Poseidon. The first of these submarines—Project 09852 Belgorod (K-329)—was delivered to the Russian Navy in July 2022 and reportedly will be capable of carrying up to six Poseidon torpedoes. The second submarine—Project 09851 Khabarovsk—is in the final stages of construction at the Sevmash Shipyard and will also reportedly carry up to six Poseidon torpedoes. One more specially configured submarine is planned to be delivered to the Russian Navy by 2027, for a total of at least three Poseidon-capable submarines.
from
My understanding is that these have dialable nukes, anything from 10 to 150 megaton and will be used if Moscow is attacked. I imagine there are any number of wonderful mansions along the coast between M.V. and V.B. most of whose occupants are political insiders, if they start selling off their treasures that'd be a first warning sign, if they all board their private jets and depart at once for whatever they've decided is their safe haven it's already too late to move inland some.
When these were first spoken of there was some thought that they would be used against one of the Canary Islands that has a huge fault along it and that the ensuing tidal wave would not only destroy the immediate east coast of the US but also lare areas of the UK and Ireland.

cognitivebias2

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: April 20, 2024, 01:53:51 PM »
The Russian Navy is also building submarines specially configured to carry a new nuclear-powered, long-range, nuclear-armed torpedo called Poseidon. The first of these submarines—Project 09852 Belgorod (K-329)—was delivered to the Russian Navy in July 2022 and reportedly will be capable of carrying up to six Poseidon torpedoes. The second submarine—Project 09851 Khabarovsk—is in the final stages of construction at the Sevmash Shipyard and will also reportedly carry up to six Poseidon torpedoes. One more specially configured submarine is planned to be delivered to the Russian Navy by 2027, for a total of at least three Poseidon-capable submarines.
from
My understanding is that these have dialable nukes, anything from 10 to 150 megaton and will be used if Moscow is attacked. I imagine there are any number of wonderful mansions along the coast between M.V. and V.B. most of whose occupants are political insiders, if they start selling off their treasures that'd be a first warning sign, if they all board their private jets and depart at once for whatever they've decided is their safe haven it's already too late to move inland some.
When these were first spoken of there was some thought that they would be used against one of the Canary Islands that has a huge fault along it and that the ensuing tidal wave would not only destroy the immediate east coast of the US but also lare areas of the UK and Ireland.

So we are going with pure fantasy now?  One would think such an advanced society capable of amazing military feats could master WW2 era warfare in its own backyard.

I'm pretty sure Rublevka is under higher threat than Kalorama Heights.

KiwiGriff

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 710
  • Likes Given: 380
« Reply #8571 on: April 20, 2024, 08:43:34 PM »
He thinks its a tsunami bomb as reported on Russian TV .

Animals can be driven crazy by placing too many in too small a pen. Homo sapiens is the only animal that voluntarily does this to himself.
Notebooks of Lazarus Long.
Robert Heinlein.

squilliam

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: April 20, 2024, 09:22:45 PM »
It appears that the aid has passed, with another $50B towards American MIC interests and $10B 'loaned' to Ukraine to spend as they please. The kayfabe has been incredibly successful, the rest of the civilized world has begged the United States in their infinite generosity to spend billions of dollars on themselves in order to advance their own interests.

cognitivebias2

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: April 20, 2024, 11:13:52 PM »
It appears that the aid has passed, with another $50B towards American MIC interests and $10B 'loaned' to Ukraine to spend as they please. The kayfabe has been incredibly successful, the rest of the civilized world has begged the United States in their infinite generosity to spend billions of dollars on themselves in order to advance their own interests.

Meanwhile Russia diverts civilian production capacity to military use because of the existential threat that can only be solved by invading a sovereign nation.

This thread celebrates the robust nature of the Russian economy (3.2% GDP growth projection), but 16% interest rates prop up its floundering currency, and 7.5% inflations erodes peoples savings.  Needless to say the growth is in instruments of war, not in the quality of life.   

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 250
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #8574 on: April 21, 2024, 12:00:38 AM »

Meanwhile Russia diverts civilian production capacity to military use because of the existential threat that can only be solved by invading a sovereign nation.

This thread celebrates the robust nature of the Russian economy (3.2% GDP growth projection), but 16% interest rates prop up its floundering currency, and 7.5% inflations erodes peoples savings.  Needless to say the growth is in instruments of war, not in the quality of life.

You could write something really similar by search “Russia” and replace with “America”.

squilliam

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: April 21, 2024, 12:09:14 AM »

Two great lies, fighting it out for dominance, without regard for the casualties and consequences. In the red corner we have Russia, a criminal enterprise pretending to be a democracy and on the blue we have America, a vast slave empire pretending to represent freedom. The reds are taking worthless people and worthless equipment and throwing them at a problem for the benefit of their elite. The Blues are taking kids that are forced to fight and giving them just enough to keep them from folding in order to gain dominance over the reds by eventually wearing them down. Which brand of exploitation will win? Find out maybe, in the next 6-60 months or so.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #8576 on: April 21, 2024, 12:16:27 AM »

An ethnically divided nation that is so corrupt and dysfunctional that it lets itself be infiltrated by a foreign power from overseas so that it can be used as a proxy to weaken a neighbouring semi-foreign power, is far from sovereign.

Ukraine, that prior to 1990 never existed as a nation and was thus called the Ukraine, had its chance of becoming a real country, by becoming a neutral between West and East. This opportunity was squandered due to wide-scale corruption and the return of the Galician Nazis from the US and Canada, where they were welcomed with open arms when WW2 ended and the Cold War started.

Ukraine is now nothing more than a cog in one of the many war racket schemes that the American MIC runs to transfer wealth into concentrated hands. What remains of the country has already been neoliberalised and thus sold to Wall Street, its social welfare system decimated, its culture on life support (in the form of Russophobia, radical nationalism and misguided dreams of becoming part of the superior West).

Developing countries around the world will have to hope they're not the next in line, once the Ukrainian lemon has been squeezed dry.

For instance:

That's exactly right. All it will do, is prolong the destruction and misery, pushing back the inevitable negotiations at the end of the ride. Anyone who thinks this 'aid' is a good thing, is an evil sadist.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

cognitivebias2

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: April 21, 2024, 12:17:07 AM »

You could write something really similar by search “Russia” and replace with “America”.

I agree, that's pretty much what I did, just in reverse, but added in the receipts to back it up.

cognitivebias2

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: April 21, 2024, 12:20:21 AM »
...All it will do, is prolong the destruction and misery, pushing back the inevitable negotiations at the end of the ride. Anyone who thinks this 'aid' is a good thing, is an evil sadist.

Any chance that Russia will decide to end the misery and destruction by withdrawing to their internationally recognized borders?  Right... didn't think so.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #8579 on: April 21, 2024, 12:30:02 AM »
Any chance that Russia will decide to end the misery and destruction by withdrawing to their internationally recognized borders?  Right... didn't think so.

They didn't start it, the US did. Would the US tolerate Russian military bases in Mexico and Cuba, with missile systems pointed at the US, possibly carrying nuclear warheads? Or imagine the southern US having become an independent state in 1991, and the Mexicans repressing the American minority linguistically and culturally. Would the US stand for that?

Are you denying, BTW, that this war is mainly a racket for the US military-industrial complex? The second reason being neocon geopolitical games to divide and conquer the Russian Federation, as Napoleon and Hitler sought to do?

How did you view Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Yemen, to name just a few of this century's rackets?

Do you enjoy what is being done in your name? Do you like to identify with the Empire?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

cognitivebias2

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8580 on: April 21, 2024, 01:25:35 AM »

They didn't start it, the US did.
Proving causation is a complicated thing.  I'd say it's ambiguous.

Would the US tolerate Russian military bases in Mexico and Cuba, with missile systems pointed at the US, possibly carrying nuclear warheads?
Times have changed since the Cuban missile crisis.  Every place in the world has been targetable by both US and Russian nuclear weapons for decades.  Probably the red line would be significant troop deployments in the Americas.

Or imagine the southern US having become an independent state in 1991, and the Mexicans repressing the American minority linguistically and culturally. Would the US stand for that?
Wow...  that's a bit of a straw man, right?  The repression goes both ways.  Who is more egregious in trying to control surrounding populations?  Is it not long in the Russian playbook to push support for it's proxies thru both official and unofficial channels.  Is it not clearly understood in Russia that if you are a Russian person with foreign influence, and you are asked to act on behalf of the state you do so without question or hesitation, because, you know, reasons? 

Are you denying, BTW, that this war is mainly a racket for the US military-industrial complex? The second reason being neocon geopolitical games to divide and conquer the Russian Federation, as Napoleon and Hitler sought to do?
I think the MIC is more American style state corporation, like Gazprom, Roscosmos, or Chinese entities like Huawei.  I'm more inclined to believe your second reason as part of US power projection.

How did you view Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Yemen, to name just a few of this century's rackets?
Individually.  Ranging from justified to completely wrong and ham-fisted 'diplomacy'

Do you enjoy what is being done in your name? Do you like to identify with the Empire?
I don't think about it like that. 1st, it's not in my name.  Although if there were popular uprising perhaps we could take our government back, but we would likely replace it with something worse.  Just look at the populist uprising that DJT has cultivated and used as his base of power.  Although there are some good ideas, it lacks any cohesive meaning and is more dangerous than what it replaces.  And I think Empire is really an overstatement.  Both views: US is an Empire and US is on the brink of collapse, are overstated.  With the rise of China the US isn't the sole superpower.  But it seems like the forward 10+ years look pretty good, imo. 

This thread has a bias, and that's fine.  But everything that frequently repeated here is not as obviously accurate as seems to be believed by many.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #8581 on: April 21, 2024, 10:00:44 AM »
This thread has a bias, and that's fine.  But everything that frequently repeated here is not as obviously accurate as seems to be believed by many.

True, but it's still more accurate than the belief that Ukraine was a social-cultural-linguistic monolith which was invaded by Russia without any provocation whatsoever, never mind all the vacuous babble about freedom, democracy and values. As for Gazprom, Roscosmos and Huawei: They are obviously not sufficiently powerful to wag the dog to the point that wars are being started and then indefinitely extended to suit their need for profit, which is clearly what is happening in the US oligarchy.

Despite what one may think of Putin and the way the Russians like to run their society and culture, I believe the Russians have arguments that are compelling prima facie, and so they have to be given something, some concessions and guarantees, instead of the 'shut up and fuck off' of the last 35 years.

Continuously sending money and weapons to the corrupt West Ukrainians will only make things worse than they could have been. Even the fake moral argument doesn't hold up any longer, if it ever did.

Only a warmonger can support such idiocy.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

johnm33

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: April 21, 2024, 11:21:02 AM »
The sanctions have stopped the movement abroad of billions in profits, these now have to be used in Russia, so internal investment is up. Nabiulina regularly lost billions, to hedge funds, propping up the ruble, Iirc over one three day period she lost almost 3trillion and overall losses were over 40trillion, Glazyev commented that stupidity was a worse crime than corruption, but she's still in place. Nabiulina won no end of accolades from the international banking community for this approach, but I do wonder what they were saying behind her back. This bleeding of the economy was again halted by sanctions, the hedge fund managers must be crying into their cocktails aboard their luxury yatchs at the stupidity of the sanctions.
 The Chinese approach to defending their currency was very different when the hedge funds launched an attack the Chinese watched their economy become more competitive, thought about increased market share, didn't even say thanks, then soaked up the criticism of 'their' currency manipulation.
In fact having shed the corrupt European regimes of the old Warsaw pact, the endless subsidies to their southern neighbours the Stans, the bleeding of their economy by their own oligarchs extravagent and ostentatious 'western' lifestyles and the drain imposed by constantly supporting their own currency against the assault by western banks it's really no wonder that these burdens lifted they begin to thrive. Even Nabiulina's 16% interest burden can barely suppress this economic liberation.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 10:12:46 AM by johnm33 »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #8583 on: April 22, 2024, 08:51:09 AM »
To all our American liberal friends who cheer on the war in Ukraine, is Michael Tracey's tweet below correct?

Michael Tracey @mtracey - 20:04 UTC · Apr 20, 2024

Mission Accomplished. It is done: Donald Trump and the House GOP just completed one of the most epic swindles in political history, with Trump personally effectuating the largest-ever disbursement of Ukraine funding through his emissary, "MAGA Mike Johnson" (as Trump lovingly calls him)

The $61 billion passed this afternoon is likely enough to underwrite the brutal, pointless trench warfare for at least another year or two.

This after the same old endless media screeching that Trump and MAGA Republicans were being brainwashed by Putin and would never fund Ukraine. That fundamental hoax continues -- only this time Trump was in on it.

Check his Truth Social page for the "opposition" that deluded online MAGA followers are so sure he must've expressed against the bill. It doesn't exist.

I really could not give less of a shit if you accuse me of "TDS." I'm much more interested in being Truthful, and documenting what really happened for the journalistic/historical record. And this what just happened: Trump bamboozled his own supporters... Big League.

It was clearly a wealth transfer swindle, but I didn't know Trump played such a major role. Isn't that nice? One big (incestuous) family.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #8584 on: April 22, 2024, 10:02:53 AM »
Good news from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute:

(Stockholm, 22 April 2024) Total global military expenditure reached $2443 billion in 2023, an increase of 6.8 per cent in real terms from 2022. This was the steepest year-on-year increase since 2009. The 10 largest spenders in 2023—led by the United States, China and Russia—all increased their military spending, according to new data on global military spending published today by the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI)

It's good to see that the world can at least agree on one thing.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

cognitivebias2

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: April 22, 2024, 01:46:23 PM »
To all our American liberal friends who cheer on the war in Ukraine, is Michael Tracey's tweet below correct?

Michael Tracey @mtracey - 20:04 UTC · Apr 20, 2024

Mission Accomplished. It is done: Donald Trump and the House GOP just completed one of the most epic swindles in political history, with Trump personally effectuating the largest-ever disbursement of Ukraine funding through his emissary, "MAGA Mike Johnson" (as Trump lovingly calls him)

The $61 billion passed this afternoon is likely enough to underwrite the brutal, pointless trench warfare for at least another year or two.

This after the same old endless media screeching that Trump and MAGA Republicans were being brainwashed by Putin and would never fund Ukraine. That fundamental hoax continues -- only this time Trump was in on it.

Check his Truth Social page for the "opposition" that deluded online MAGA followers are so sure he must've expressed against the bill. It doesn't exist.

I really could not give less of a shit if you accuse me of "TDS." I'm much more interested in being Truthful, and documenting what really happened for the journalistic/historical record. And this what just happened: Trump bamboozled his own supporters... Big League.

It was clearly a wealth transfer swindle, but I didn't know Trump played such a major role. Isn't that nice? One big (incestuous) family.

I'm not a liberal, nor do I cheer on the war, but I do follow American politics.

MAGA Republicans (esp. DJT) play with revisionist history.  Once it became clear that Speaker Johnson was going to bring the 3 part aid bill to a vote, a vote the would surely pass, MAGA had the choice of capitulation or irrelevance.  The house majority hangs by a thread, a downfall caused by MAGA Republicans.  Mike Johnson is trying to thread a needle to maintain some personal power.  He has his own agenda and MAGA is only the agent of power, not the purpose.

MAGA will likely call for removal of the speaker.  What remains unclear is if Dems will rescue him. 

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #8586 on: April 22, 2024, 02:41:29 PM »
What remains unclear is if Dems will rescue him.

Surely they will rescue one of their own? How else are they supposed to perform these epic swindles? Good sir, doesn't anyone have principles anymore?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #8587 on: April 22, 2024, 05:55:16 PM »
Wow, that flag-waving on the House floor, chanting OUN slogans. How utterly disgusting. Warmongering mass murderers...

The enemy is within

E. Smith

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 250
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #8588 on: April 22, 2024, 06:12:58 PM »
Terrible…

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: April 22, 2024, 08:14:36 PM »
reports of up to 400 bodies of Palestinian civilians found in a mass grave at Nasser Hospital, including children with their hands tied behind their backs and beheaded.

Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #8590 on: April 22, 2024, 10:09:47 PM »
I hadn't even noticed that the 60 billion dollar bill was approved in the US HoR on the birthday of good ole Adolf himself. That reminds me of when the Germans sent 88 and 14 tanks of different types. Such funny coincidences...

The deputy speaker of the Slovak Parliament Luboš Blaha disagrees:

American Congress approves aid to the Banderites for Hitler's birthday. Americans approve a billion-dollar package against Russia and make sure it's a day that symbolizes the Nazi beast that wiped out 27 million people in the USSR. Is that okay?
And sending money to a regime that is not shy about glorifying Bandera, a Nazi collaborator whose animals committed war crimes against Russians, Jews, Poles and Slovaks.
I have always hated fascism and I say this in all seriousness - I do not consider the date of April 20 to be a coincidence. And I believe that there are still enough people in the United States who are convinced that Hitler should have exterminated us - not only Russians, but all Slavs.
And they send billions to Ukraine today not because of any humanistic ideals. They just hate Russians, that's all. That's what they have in common with the Nazi bastard who wanted to defeat the Russians in WWII.
But remember where he ended up thanks to the Russians. It will eventually be the same with modern day fascists. And no amount of money will help them.

Looks can be deceiving...
The enemy is within

E. Smith

John_the_Younger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #8591 on: April 23, 2024, 04:45:51 AM »
mass grave at Nasser Hospital
Obviously some Nazis sympathizers did it...  How do I know?  Everybody blames the Nazis, and sometimes it's accurate.
 ::)

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: April 24, 2024, 10:02:05 PM »
Overwhelming military/police crackdown on anti-war protesters not seen since the Vietnam War era.  Same old story, this time it is the donor class taking down and threatening university leadership for their very livelihoods.  Students are being evicted from dormitories with no notice and unable to get their belongings. Complete demonization of the anti-war, anti-genocide movement that protests their university complicity through economic partnerships with military/industrial contracts.
Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

jai mitchell

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: Today at 02:07:11 AM »
Reports of over 20 universities with protest encampments.  This is an obvious undercount with hundreds of protests, building takeovers and sit-ins occurring all over the country.

Haiku of Futures Passed
My "burning embers"
+3C today

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #8594 on: Today at 10:10:12 AM »
As expected, and after a lot of theatrics, the 60 billion 'aid' package for West Ukraine was signed (a lot of stuff had already been sent, as usual). It most probably won't change anything much at the front, any time soon.

So, what's the plan now? What's the end goal? This is a question no western politician seems willing to answer. They say: 'We must make sure Putin doesn't win'. What does that mean actually? How many Ukrainians and (Ukrainian) Russians have to die to achieve that? What goal does 'not letting Putin win' achieve in the end? What's the end goal?
The enemy is within

E. Smith