Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: India v Pakistan  (Read 1242 times)

ASILurker

India v Pakistan
« on: February 27, 2019, 12:24:17 PM »
Who knows where this is going, because I sure do not.

Pakistan-India showdown: What you’re not being told
Darius Shahtahmasebi is a New Zealand-based legal and political analyst, currently specializing in immigration, refugee and humanitarian law. via RT

Most disturbing is the revelation that Saudi Arabia is also being rumoured to have nuclear weapons “on order” from Pakistan. If it isn’t bad enough that India and Pakistan have nuclear weapons and are now potentially launching air strikes into each other’s territory, the idea that these apocalyptic weapons could one day end up in the hand of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the country currently launching a genocidal war in Yemen and backing known jihadists right across the wider region, all the whilst constantly threatening war with Tehran, is nothing short of suicidal.

According to Israeli media, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s (MBS) recent visit to Pakistan has essentially cemented Pakistan’s inclusion in anti-Iran Arab NATO. Will these countries rush to Pakistan’s aid as it is pummelled by Indian fighter jets? Or will diplomacy and cooler heads eventually prevail?

Thankfully, we can trust the media to ask these all-important questions, and not focus its entire energy on yet another regime-change operation in yet another oil rich country, right?
https://www.rt.com/op-ed/452461-india-pakistan-showdown-terrorism/

A complex narrative about "terrorists" and who funds them and why came before this quote. I do not know what to believe or who to believe .. so I will not believe any of them for now.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: India v Pakistan
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 01:30:14 PM »
The media always picks up the Nuclear Weapon thing. However, India can take out Pakistan with just one conventional major air strike. Here is the logic.

Pakistan's economy depends on Karachi, a megacity of 15 million people,  for just about everything going in and out of the country, and as the major economic and industrial centre.

Karachi's water comes via the Karachi Canal from the Indus, dammed by the Kotri barrage.
It takes 5 days for water to flow (by gravity) along the canal from the Indus to Karachi.
Take out the barrage and breach the canal and 5 days later 15 million people have no water.

I know about this as in 1991 I was on a water project there, and several hundred yards of the canal collapsed. We were shitting bricks for 4 days, until the Pakistan Construction Battalion rode to the rescue.

In the wars to date, India has always backed away from that action, as Pakistan would have only one effective riposte - the Nuclear Option. Of course, one day a hot head like Trump (with limited checks and balances in the system) might come to power, at which point all bets are off.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 02:05:53 PM »
Re: Pakistan's water chokepoint.

India would be pitching stones from a glass house ...

From 3 years ago:

Ten Million Without Water in Delhi   
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-35627819

More than 10 million people in India's capital, Delhi, are without water after protesters sabotaged a key canal which supplies much of the city.

Sixteen million people live in Delhi, and around three-fifths of the city's water is supplied by the canal, which runs through the neighbouring state of Haryana.

Mr Chandra said that prior warnings meant that people had managed to save water, and tankers had been despatched to affected areas of the city, but that this would not be enough to make up for the shortfall.

The army took control of parts of the canal on Monday morning, but repairs are expected to take time.

The violence had earlier forced the closure of several key roads and national highways, and paralysed the railway system in northern India.

Manak Canal - Water source for 3/5ths of Delhi
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 05:47:24 PM »
Yeah but that is different in a tactical sense.

This should end in limited skirmishes since both sides have nukes so there is no win option in the war.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.