Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Poll

For how long will 'Very Big Chunk' stall the sea ice export.

Not!
1-3 days
4-7 days
Until summer

Author Topic: The 'Very Big Chunk' poll  (Read 17522 times)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
Re: The 'Very Big Chunk' poll
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2019, 10:53:30 PM »
All hell breaks loose above Greenland, and you guys are only interested in bits and pieces in Nares Strait?
that's crazy for you  ;) I never knew that bit was the wandel sea
Never heard of the Wandel Sea either. But then again, Espen is the supreme master of all things Greenland.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandel_Sea

Sam

« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2019, 11:55:38 PM »
All hell breaks loose above Greenland, and you guys are only interested in bits and pieces in Nares Strait?

Agreed. The massive movement from the Lincoln Sea across the Wandel Sea all the way to the Atlantic is stunning. So too is the movement to the west, north of the Queen Elizabeth Islands, as all of the ice there separates from land and shatters, only to be pulled into the Beaufort Sea grinder.

Combine those with the Lincoln Sea siphon and grinder and it is a really rugged year for multi-year arctic ice.

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2019, 12:03:02 AM »
Interesting. We do a bit of R&R after posting for 2 days about CAA and Greenland and....
Edit: Apologies. I get it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:31:50 AM by uniquorn »

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »
On these polls (and other more serious ones  ;) )  would it be possible to put the actual result and/or winning categorie(s) on the header graph so later we can easily spot the result ?  Thanks

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2019, 09:44:31 AM »
On these polls (and other more serious ones  ;) )  would it be possible to put the actual result and/or winning categorie(s) on the header graph so later we can easily spot the result ?  Thanks

Good idea Charles. I locked voting now and updated the original post.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2019, 02:41:52 PM »
The largest remaining piece of VBC hit Hans Island yesterday.  DMI images made into a GIF (using GIFmaker.org).  B_ may know what happened, but I'm waiting with bated breath!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2019, 02:45:04 PM »
B_ may know what happened, but I'm waiting with bated breath!

Sorry Tor, it's cloudy as of the latest pic. I'm right there with you, waiting.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2019, 06:28:23 PM »
Surprise, surprise: it shattered. (Today's DMI Sentinel image)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2019, 07:29:22 PM »
Perhaps the significance to take way from the unhappy story of the demise of Very Big Chunk is that it put up such a feeble resistance to disintegration.

Does this suggest that the rest of the ice being dragged into the Nares or towards the Fram is equally in such poor nick? If so, assumptions regarding the structural integrity of the remaining multi-year ice may need adjusting downwards, and its mobility upwards.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2019, 08:05:56 PM »
it seems that VBC put up exactly the resistance that 50% of those who voted expected .. even the lump that hit Hans island just split in 2 and travelled on toward it's demise . I recall suggesting Nares may never close again when export started last summer ; seeing the state of the best ice in the Arctic and it's hurry to depart I am wondering what if anything could bring it to a halt . It has , after all , been the coldest winter for years in the area .. something one wouldn't guess by looking at the state of things . b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 14, 2019, 08:11:39 PM »
I've been watching Nares Strait for most of a decade and don't believe any single floe has plugged the Strait for more than a couple days during this time, so I think floes' strength has 'always' been over rated.  (Icebergs are different, although the bergs that might have closed Nares for significant time didn't, e.g., the biggest, PII-2012, didn't.)

What is alarming to me, in this regard, is that floes in the High Arctic are so fragile that 'the best' break during the brief stay of an expedition.

Alphabet Hotel

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2019, 09:05:02 PM »
The last two Sentinel-1 images show the wedge of ice to the east has stopped moving. The black line shows the boundary as near as I can tell.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2019, 06:40:13 PM »
Here is a GIF from May 10 to 14 (note: skipped 13th and 2 images dated 14, so there is a 'jump' and a 'baby step'; 1st & last images extended duration)  The biggest remnants of the VBC break up with contact with Hans Island (lower left corner) or with contact with Greenland.
DMI images

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2019, 07:31:08 PM »
 :o
Hans went through that round floe like a bullet!

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2019, 09:42:28 PM »
Without moving a muscle! :o ;D :P

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2019, 06:25:25 PM »
nearly 4000sq km .. it should take a couple of days just to squeeze itself through .. so I say 'not at all'..  ..  it's passage would amount to 5% of Nare's entire export in the ever-flowing year that was 2007 .
even taking a couple of weeks to pass would mean accelerating export .. b.c.

it did take a couple of weeks .. the last pieces have entered Nares .. along with other ice .. so over 4000sqkm in 2 weeks .. not huge in the scale of the Arctic but every day the remaining ice is more 'fluid' .. at the whim of current and wind . b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2019, 10:30:38 PM »
Another large ice floe of the oldest ice entered the strait and collapsed into a couple of pieces. Another similar ice floe is preparing for the entrance to the strait.

Destroyed the last oldest ice of the Arctic.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:36:47 AM by ArcticMelt2 »

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2019, 12:40:16 AM »
Animation

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2019, 12:43:50 AM »

ArcticMelt2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2019, 12:46:02 AM »
Now the oldest ice does not reach the Fram Strait, but is destroyed in the Lincoln Sea.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2019, 03:53:13 AM »
First year ice .. melts .second year ice mostly melts , third year ice mostly leaves via Fram or melts in Beaufort , fourth and fifth year ice goes via Nares and later the garlic press . How much of what have we got in September ? b.c.